Surprise: Thad McCotter to announce presidential run on Saturday

posted at 8:48 pm on June 30, 2011 by Allahpundit

I remember him floating this idea awhile back but figured it was just a bit of media-baiting to raise his profile ahead of a possible Senate run.

Nope.

Rep. Thaddeus McCotter, R-Mich. will launch his presidential campaign on July 2, making him the third sitting member of the House to run for the White House in 2012.

McCotter will make his bid official in his home state of Michigan, according to a knowledgable source in the campaign who declined to be identified…

McCotter caused a stir at the Ames Straw Poll campaign space auction last week when he attempted to anonymously secure a key place for the August event, according to The Iowa Republican.

His representative was eventually forced to reveal her client after the other campaigns, who thought the anonymous bidder was for an undeclared candidate such as ex-Alaska governor Sarah Palin or Texas governor Rick Perry.

He spent four days in Iowa this week and, per the Des Moines Register, might be looking to snap up some of the local staffers who jumped ship after the S.S. Gingrich started to capsize. I’d love to tell you which substantive niche he’ll fill in the field once he’s in, but he stands out in my mind more for his stylistic departures from the traditional GOP mold than for his policy stances — with the notable exception of his position on bailouts, where he opposed TARP but backed the GM package. (He’s from Michigan.) He’s sharp, funny, and sufficiently at ease with pop culture to be a perennial on “Red Eye,” so he’s bound to get some attention at the debates. Enough attention to dislodge Bachmann or leapfrog Cain on the conservative side of the field, though?

Romney’s counting on his local pedigree to make the Michigan primary a gimme so McCotter could hurt him there. Then again, Michigan’s tentatively scheduled for February 28, three weeks after Super Tuesday, so Romney will likely either be finished or the prohibitive frontrunner by the time we get to that. Maybe McCotter’s thinking that Carl Levin, who’ll be 80 in 2014, will decide not to run for reelection, and that a presidential run now will help introduce him to Michigan voters statewide ahead of that? Here’s his speech last week to the RLC via Dave Weigel, who notes that “Red Eye” now has its very own presidential candidate. Yeah, big week for Greg Gutfeld, huh?

Update: From National Journal, eight things to know about Thad McCotter. Note numbers six and seven.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

pgrossjr on June 30, 2011 at 9:47 PM

What exactly do you think a political primary is for? The whole point is so the public can pick their choice to run in the General why shouldn’t they have a choice? The Republicans that have declared so far have been one long yawn. The whole idea of running for Presidency is so everyone does get to know the candidates. You know like a green Senator from Illinois, that no one had ever heard of.

Dr Evil on June 30, 2011 at 9:51 PM

This is a prologue to a Senate run, I believe. His name recognition outside of his district (and Red Eye fans) is very low.
And I’m willing to listen to what he says about 6 and 7 when he’s asked, as he will be. Sometimes you have to vote what your constituents want, even though it might not be something you necessarily agree with.
Bring it on, rock and roller!

either orr on June 30, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Before making your choice for the GOP nominee, consider the fact that House reps don’t get elected President, and that will not change in 2012.

Hollowpoint on June 30, 2011 at 9:50 PM

agreed 131 years is a long dry spell, it’s there for a reason.

unseen on June 30, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Hollowpoint on June 30, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Did you know that it turned out that Mitt Romney didn’t raise the campaign funds that were previously reported? Don’t count your chickens before they hatch that’s good advice for you and Mitt. As far as McCotter goes…we live in a country of first, although he wouldn’t be the first.

Dr Evil on June 30, 2011 at 9:53 PM

LOL. I love Sarah and she will do way more good outside the race than in it.

YehuditTX on June 30, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Ah, hell. Now you did it…

catmman on June 30, 2011 at 9:53 PM

He will make T-Paw look like Mr.Excitement.

stenwin77 on June 30, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Actually, he is a very witty guy, and a great debater. I hope he is included in the next debate, I might actually be able to keep my eyes open.

Dreadnought on June 30, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Best Thaddeus Ever? Ed Platt

Del Dolemonte on June 30, 2011 at 9:58 PM

I’m going to bed happy tonight. I’m a big fan of Thad.

Rambotito on June 30, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Wow, This surprised me. He’s great on a lot of issues and has some considerable brain power. His delivery style when he gets serious, though, leaves something to be desired, and I really don’t like his positions on labor. It’s a serious dark spot on his record.

Dongemaharu on June 30, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Dreadnought on June 30, 2011 at 9:57 PM

He has a great sense of humor I was blogging about him before I went on hiatus I may have to start up blogging again, I am feeling inspired. That hasn’t happened with the previous candidates throwing their hats in.

Rep Thaddeus McCotter on Hardball, Only 21% Think They Are Being Governed By Their Own Consent.

Dr Evil on June 30, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Revenge of the bald…

rightwingyahooo on June 30, 2011 at 9:11 PM

You realize you’re being politically incorrect, right? Follically challenged.

TxAnn56 on June 30, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Don’t you go steppin’ on that Big Mo headin’ over ta T-Paw, now T-Cot…

Bruno Strozek on June 30, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Dennis Miller has been calling him T-Mac for a while now. I thought the whole T-Paw thing was a knock-off from that.

HawaiiLwyr on June 30, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Dr Evil on June 30, 2011 at 9:53 PM

what’s this about Mitt hacen’t heard that $10 million was bunk?

unseen on June 30, 2011 at 10:07 PM

The field of mediocrity is expanding.

mizflame98 on June 30, 2011 at 10:12 PM

seems like a decent fellow…

equanimous on June 30, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Revenge of the bald…

rightwingyahooo on June 30, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Aha! I’ve solved the mystery. An illegal alien stole your hair.

katy the mean old lady on June 30, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Never heard of him + anti-free trade + pro-labor union = NO

Common Sense on June 30, 2011 at 10:25 PM

There is nothing wrong with private sector organized labor.

Corporations are like government; they exist to grow and consume all in their wake. Unions are a needed counter to the power of centralized management.

There is a problem with public employee unions, who are essentially the storm troopers of government itself.

They should be banned.

rickyricardo on June 30, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Dr Evil on June 30, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Good show by McCotter on that one.

Congrats, you got me to watch more than two minutes of Hardball for the first time in 7 or 8 years.

Dreadnought on June 30, 2011 at 10:39 PM

The National Journal list left out that McCotter is a chain smoker. I suspected he was running when he showed up on Huckabee’s show last week to jam with the band.

His droll, offbeat humor — which I always enjoy on Red Eye — will add a welcome new tone to the GOP debates. Maybe Ron Paul should be worried.

Terrie on June 30, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Dr Evil on June 30, 2011 at 9:53 PM

What did my comment have to do with Romney? I don’t support him.

And no, he wouldn’t be the first… but the last one was a Brigadier General in the Civil War prior to becoming a Congressman. Prior to that there was former Congressman Lincoln, but his election was something of an anomaly.

If he was Speaker of the House, then yes- the “House reps don’t win presidential elections” rule could be broken.

There might be room for more candidates, but not for those undertaking a mere vanity run.

Hollowpoint on June 30, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Dude has a wicked sense of humor.

rickyricardo on June 30, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Pro labor union……..NO!

Voted for the GM and Chrysler bailout……..Hell NO

Knucklehead on June 30, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Dr Evil on June 30, 2011 at 9:53 PM

What did my comment have to do with Romney? I don’t support him.

Hollowpoint on June 30, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Suppose it turns out he is the best candidate?

Dreadnought on June 30, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Forever changing the hashtag #tcot

Raisedbywolves on June 30, 2011 at 10:58 PM

Hollowpoint on June 30, 2011 at 9:50 PM

agreed 131 years is a long dry spell, it’s there for a reason.

unseen on June 30, 2011 at 9:52 PM

I’m counting on the “due” factor kicking in.

JohnGalt23 on June 30, 2011 at 10:58 PM

I’d rather like him as a senator or even VP. He’s a smart guy (not in the Obama pop-culture sense–i.e. he pulled all A’s in Marxist Studies–but in the actual, neuron-based, functioning human sense), and like Gutfeld said, strikes me as not being much into the celebrity and power of office (really, he’s almost like a 19th century throwback, which suggests he could prove a spectacular president, but is most likely unelectable in today’s superficial mockery of a culture). And hey, he even has a serviceable sense of humor.

Blacklake on June 30, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Hollowpoint on June 30, 2011 at 9:50 PM

HP, give me a break. This is a unique election, and I’m sure 10 years ago nobody would have suggested that a first-term Senator with ties to black supremacists, money launderers, and domestic terrorists would get elected president, either. I’m also sure people would say two-bit cowboy actors don’t get elected president, either.

MadisonConservative on June 30, 2011 at 11:06 PM

OT: Did anyone read this jewel? Hilarious:

Die-hard Democrat? Don’t take your children to July 4th parades ‘or they’ll turn into Republicans

Die-hard Democrats may want to keep their children well away from July 4th parades, according to a new Harvard study.

Researchers at the university claim youngsters who attend the patriotic events are much more likely to grow up as Republicans.

And it’s not just children – the study also claims that adults are more likely to vote for a GOP candidate on election day if they go to one of the parades.

Sharke on June 30, 2011 at 11:09 PM

The guy is great, but that National Journal list is troubling by his labor ties. Free Trade works, no protectionist nonsense. I’ll listen to see what he says though, I love his guy on Red Eye and expect some real zingers in the debate.

One of the few times I watched the Huckabee show was when I heard he was on. Huckabee said something about Joe Biden and then turned to the camera saying he was only joking, then turned to McCotter and said, “I’ll probably get a letter from the Vice President’s office”. McCotter responded with “It will be written in crayon.”

Look forward to having him in the race.

Daemonocracy on June 30, 2011 at 11:11 PM

I’ll listen to see what he says though

err, that sentence makes no sense. I was thinking two things at the same time. I’ll listen to what he has to say about trade.

Daemonocracy on June 30, 2011 at 11:13 PM

The sheer size of the GOP field should make Obama nervous. It suggests a vulnerable incumbent.

Missy on June 30, 2011 at 11:17 PM

Perry/McCotter!

juliesa on June 30, 2011 at 8:52 PM

That’s what I’ve been sayin’!
LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on June 30, 2011 at 11:24 PM

McCotter Rocks

Clark1 on June 30, 2011 at 11:28 PM

excellent. ERXCELLENT! Smartest dude in the room. (unless Ryan gets in). Now who can say we have a weak field?

sbvft contributor on June 30, 2011 at 11:29 PM

Missy on June 30, 2011 at 11:17 PM

If nothing else it will burn up more of little Bammie’s oppo-research budget. Kind of makes the October surprise a little harder to plan.

slickwillie2001 on June 30, 2011 at 11:29 PM

Know one thing, the guy plays a pretty mean lead guitar. Saw him on Huckabee’s show. Oh, well…

TXUS on June 30, 2011 at 11:31 PM

Damn!!!!! Really. Holy crap. He has just made trouble for Cain. I don’t know who I want more. Damn damn damn.

ColdWarrior57 on June 30, 2011 at 11:40 PM

I like McCotter; then I punch myself in the mouth when I remember he supports union slackers.

Which means… as much as McCotter comes up with a good thought or sound bite here and there, he is still part of the problem in Washington. He is not willing to do what is right. His goofy mannerisms and good sound bites will never change that fact.

Weber48IDA on July 1, 2011 at 12:30 AM

Weber48IDA on July 1, 2011 at 12:30 AM

Thank you. That boils it down to the essence.

LegendHasIt on July 1, 2011 at 12:39 AM

I am pleased. I was just thinking my dream ticket would be Bachmann/McCotter (would settle for Bachmann/Cain) Palin can bless the marriage.

He’s tough, has a sharp wit, and will get Bachmann’s back when the misogyny gets ridiculous.

Michigan will be important when this really gets going. All that policy stuff is nit picking. That’s what got us “100 years in Iraq” McCain.

As for the Governor issue, I’m over it. Our problems originate on the hill. We need folks without a learning curve.

Agrippa2k on July 1, 2011 at 12:45 AM

However, I would strongly support McCotter for Press Secretary.

Half the time he response with his eyes closed a la… “you’re an idiot, but I will humor your question anyway.”

He cracks me up. I watch him. I listen to him. But he lost me at UNION.

Weber48IDA on July 1, 2011 at 12:46 AM

As for the union question. Nobody has a problem with “Unions”, it is what they do and how they do it. Supporting reasonable negotiations with unions is fine.

We need unions to back off the trigger. Obama has their backs up. We don’t have to get in bed with them, just cool them on Obama a little.

I’ll remind you that many Tea Partiers are union members.

Agrippa2k on July 1, 2011 at 12:49 AM

It is early so hard core litmus tests are par for the course. But we shouldn’t jump to conclusions.

What “exactly” did McCotter do “for” the unions? Is there anything besides fire them all that will do?

Agrippa2k on July 1, 2011 at 12:51 AM

He’ll get the “Red Eye” vote!!

Khun Joe on July 1, 2011 at 1:02 AM

There are 2 things happening with McCotter:

Either he really does support Card Check

Or

He’s not willing to oppose it because of politics.

It seems to me, both of those issues are perfect examples of why we have the mess we have today. Smooth talking politicians who either aren’t of the right mind and / or play politics rather than doing the right thing.

Dem days is done, man.

Weber48IDA on July 1, 2011 at 1:06 AM

Remove the malignant tumor in the White House in 2012.

All with scalpels welcome.

HalJordan on July 1, 2011 at 1:12 AM

He’s pro unions and Huckabee in a skirt; wait, not in a skirt, but still Huckabee.

unseen you be wrong on him.

Schadenfreude on July 1, 2011 at 1:13 AM

Just one more House member with no meaningful administrative, managerial, or executive experience. One would think Obama would have been sufficient reminder of why it isn’t a good idea to give someone the Presidency as their first real job with management responsibility.

Besides, the Republican primary electorate is not in a mood to nominate a pro-union, pro-card check, pro-auto bailout candidate this cycle.

If McCotter can’t beat Debbie Stabenow, one of the stupidest people in the Senate (and in that body, it takes world class stupidity to stand out), he has no business even thinking he has a chance of being on the ticket.

I do give him props for his sense of humor, especially in his clever attempt to buy a prime site for his campaign tent in the auction for Ames by using a straw buyer. Straw buyer for the straw poll, get it? The guy is a hoot.

Adjoran on July 1, 2011 at 1:31 AM

Buddy Roemer’s campaign makes more sense than this.

Lawdawg86 on July 1, 2011 at 1:33 AM

Being from his district I think he’s great. The union stuff bothers me, but I attribute that to him being a representative of a heavy union district. He’ll either catch fire or burn out. The country wants someone new and Thad clearly fits that.

Still think the real game changer will be Perry, Ryan, or Christie, despite the latter two’s statements about not running. Obama, and the GOP for that matter, keeps giving Ryan and Christie a chance to change their mind because there’s such a leadership vacuum in the nation right now.

cpaulus on July 1, 2011 at 1:41 AM

Run Thad! Run! %100! Run!

ronsfi on July 1, 2011 at 1:44 AM

He’s goofy and funny but I don’t know whether he’s presidential material yet. Hope he’s better material than Bachmann though.

promachus on June 30, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Really? For the record, I think our nominee needs executive experience (its crucial for running against Obama as an absentee leader, and it’ll be even more useful when he/she is in office and trying to corral votes for entitlement reform), so I’m not really too keen on voting for Bachmann or McCotter (unless one of them emerges as the only candidate capable of stopping Mitt). But at least Bachmann is giving it her best at conveying a presidential image. This guy is like one of the stoned, deadpan-delivery comedians on Comedy Central Friday nights…

Lawdawg86 on July 1, 2011 at 1:45 AM

He deserves more exposure. This is a good thing, even though it is impossible.

John the Libertarian on July 1, 2011 at 1:53 AM

Whatever.

Mcguyver on July 1, 2011 at 2:11 AM

He voted yes on Card Check? I vote HELL NO on him.

Raisedbywolves on July 1, 2011 at 2:40 AM

I like McCotter — there aren’t that many witty, smart, “don’t take themselves that seriously” people in DC & I think he will kick ass in the debates. I will be praying for a miracle that he gets the nomination (top of the ticket) because his debates against lame-brained, thin-skinned Obama will be EPIC.

I don’t give a sh!t about his union positions — he is from Michigan for the love of god, he has to pay the piper to get elected. Furthermore, his union positions are no where near as bad as Obama’s. Heck, maybe he can peal off some of Obama’s union support.

Every time I try to start nit-picking positions of candidates in the GOP field, I stop myself & compare them to Obama’s before I write the entire candidate off. I’ll be voting for whoever gets the nomination regardless of my personal likes/dislikes on any of their positions (and all seem to have at least one or two things I don’t like). The GOP needs someone who will appeal to the Independents and McCotter being “smart, funny & DIFFERENT” may be just the thing.

Dark Star on July 1, 2011 at 2:58 AM

McCotter asked fellow members of Congress to join him in supporting H. R. 3501, the Humanity and Pets Partnered Through the Years (HAPPY) Act. The bill proposes to allow pet owners a $3,500 annual tax deduction for “qualified pet-care expenses.”

He is a nutjob. I don’t care what state he is from.

pedestrian on July 1, 2011 at 3:29 AM

MSNBC has a new unflattering big photo of him with yellowed teeth.
State he’s in the race to prop up Romney.
I have no use for the guy.
As with Bachmann:

“From the House. They aren’t nominated.” -Ann Coulter

Marcus on July 1, 2011 at 6:30 AM

No one on the west side of Michigan knows who this guy is. How does he expect to capture MI in the primary? Most of the low polling candidates won’t be left in the race 3 weeks after super tuesday, their funding will have dried up.

And don’t presume Romney takes Michigan. The last time he lived here was over 55 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!! No one under the age of 50 remembers when his dad was governor, OR CARES!!!!

karenhasfreedom on July 1, 2011 at 6:46 AM

So now HotAir is doing “JOKE OF THE DAY” threads. !!!
I like it.

stenwin77 on July 1, 2011 at 6:52 AM

PS – Many of my friends are asking, “When will HA open up to new bloggers?”

Beats me. You would think they would like more traffic to their site, wouldn’t you? This is the only forum that I know of that doesn’t have open registry.

stenwin77 on July 1, 2011 at 6:54 AM

Run Thad! Run! %100! Run!

ronsfi on July 1, 2011 at 1:44 AM

Seriously ?? YES ON CARDCHECK… and you want him to run?

stenwin77 on July 1, 2011 at 6:56 AM

I bet he’s a pretty tuff bastard; with a name like Thad you know he’s got a lot of hard miles on his fists.

Alden Pyle on July 1, 2011 at 6:57 AM

Romney raised another ten million in his new super PAC. Big donors don’t have to bundle, and hit their rolodexes they just write a big check.

Ricki on July 1, 2011 at 7:14 AM

stenwin77 on July 1, 2011 at 6:54 AM

as primary season officially kicks into gear I can see them opening up registration again…

cmsinaz on July 1, 2011 at 7:22 AM

The more the merrier. Every new addition just divvies up the voters that weren’t intending to vote for Palin.

Socmodfiscon on July 1, 2011 at 7:58 AM

5 Reasons McCotter’s out of my book forever:

1) Card Check.
2) Card Check.
3) Card Check.
4) Card Check.
5) Card Check.

KingGold on July 1, 2011 at 8:11 AM

McCotter needs to run for Senate against Stabenow. I live in Michigan and Stabenow is horrible and a fruit loop. McCotter can trounce her. I would like to see him get bounced early in the primaries and move over to a senate run.

NotCoach on July 1, 2011 at 8:47 AM

McCotter looks a little like James Taylor in that pic, just sayin’…

I think “Senator McCotter” sounds good, too.

Fallon on July 1, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Hollowpoint on June 30, 2011 at 9:50 PM

agreed 131 years is a long dry spell, it’s there for a reason.

The Cubs have announced their intention to run for President. They figure their chances are actually better than current House members running…

MarkT on July 1, 2011 at 8:56 AM

cmsinaz on July 1, 2011 at 7:22 AM

I’m not so sure!..But that is just MHO!..:)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Everyone keeps accusing Bachmann of being a stalking horse for Romney to protect him from Palin. I think that is silly and is posed by those who want to dismiss Bachmann because they fear her. However I think McCotter could be a stalking horse for Bachmann. You think things are bad for Bachmann now with the msm? Wait till she wins iowa, the media will be dragging out all those foster kids trying to make Bachmann responsible for any problems any of those people may have had in their lives. McCotter will be strong, not strong enough to win it all, but strong enough to cause the msm and left concern enough not to ignore him. He will also aid in keeping a strong conservative message out there. It won’t be Bachmann alone against Romney and pawlenty and the “reasonable” republicans.

peacenprosperity on July 1, 2011 at 9:11 AM

I’m not so sure!..But that is just MHO!..:)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Throw the door open to Paultards and pay-to-play sockpuppets? Ed and AP would have to be nuts to allow it.

KingGold on July 1, 2011 at 9:13 AM

KingGold on July 1, 2011 at 9:13 AM

I’m thinking something along those lines..But you never know..:)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2011 at 9:16 AM

KingGold on July 1, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Hopefully the only thing they consider are pure numbers. And if that is the case registration could be opened at any time. It is not possible to weed out sock puppets or trolls or Paultards. And trying to do so is pointless.

I say the more the merrier. More people need to be able to thank me for my wisdom.

NotCoach on July 1, 2011 at 9:19 AM

NotCoach on July 1, 2011 at 9:19 AM

It’s the timing, not the numbers, that I’m concerned about. This is the season where a primary campaign might be willing to shell out a few buck to engage in a little Internet psy-ops. So we’ll have people coming on and start cribbing information from Media Matters or some such as the entirety of their posts.

It’s just plain stupid. And that’s not even getting into the utter zealotry and casual racism of anonymous Paultard commenters.

KingGold on July 1, 2011 at 9:24 AM

what’s this about Mitt hacen’t heard that $10 million was bunk?

unseen on June 30, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Tunrs out they were pledges not collected donations so the number results may vary with user :)

Dr Evil on July 1, 2011 at 9:24 AM

cmsinaz on July 1, 2011 at 7:22 AM

Great. There are already more squishys and liberals on here than conservatives. Open it up again and they might as well hire brooks, frum and noonan to moderate.

peacenprosperity on July 1, 2011 at 9:38 AM

peacenprosperity on July 1, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Translation: there aren’t enough ultra-righties on here for my taste.

Door’s that way, chump, don’t let it hit you on the way out.

Uncle Sams Nephew on July 1, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Thad?

vcferlita on July 1, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Who?

rollthedice on July 1, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Seriously ?? YES ON CARDCHECK… and you want him to run?

stenwin77 on July 1, 2011 at 6:56 AM

There’s always going to be some imperfection. At least he’s not an ID fruitcake. That’s a deal breaker for me.

ronsfi on July 1, 2011 at 10:50 AM

I live in the Detroit area and heard an interview with McCotter on a radio show this morning. Fairly impressive.

He is a member of the Republican Main Street Partnership, which is somewhat concerning. His resume is thicker than Michele Bachmann’s, but then Michele’s resume is almost identical to candidate Obama in 2007.

bw222 on July 1, 2011 at 10:53 AM

WHO????

jeffn21 on July 1, 2011 at 11:22 AM

I suspect his intelligence and wit might actually scare away some socons. If he does gain traction, it will be interesting to see how the left fit him into the standard stupid, evil, and/or crazy mold they cast on anyone they see as a threat.

TedInATL on July 1, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Pro-labor union and protectionist?
Next.

Count to 10 on July 1, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Would you necessarily govern the same way nationally as you would when you represent just a specific district? In regards to labor and trade, wouldn’t most think it was crazy to vote against your constituents?

Cindy Munford on July 1, 2011 at 12:10 PM

He will make T-Paw look like Mr.Excitement.

stenwin77 on June 30, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Dreadnought on June 30, 2011 at 9:57 PM

I agree with Dread. The first time I heard McCotter (on EWTN) I thought: this guy came from my Michigan? How did he get past the gatekeepers? When he used the term ‘unrestricted warfare’ correctly and concisely, I was hooked.

I can say this. The guy is deadly serious, and dangerously witty. National Journal has the negatives list

I love this one:

4. Tried to disassemble the Republican Policy Committee.

In 2006, McCotter defeated Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., for chairman of the Republican Policy Committee. But in 2010, he provoked an internal GOP struggle by proposing to shut down the committee and use its $360,000 budget to reduce the deficit. Then-GOP Whip Eric Cantor, R-Va., stopped the plan and Rep. Tom Price, R-Ga., took over the committee.

I get Adlai Stevenson flashbacks when he uses language so precisely. He is obviously has a union base, and his position on card check needs to be checked

Big Government supposed to be doing a twitterview. now maybe

Definitely not run of the mill pol

entagor on July 1, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Cindy Munford on July 1, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Exactly, when GM was going tits up it meant many of his constituents were going to be out of jobs. TMac represents those people’s and he should be trying to protect their livelihoods. Those would be Middle Class American jobs. He has a strong rating among Middle Class Voter’s Issues.

The one thing he has addressed before, that others have not is the social shock that is caused by the legislation being passed in this country. “The Political Class” is not paying attention to how there special interest pandering – legislation, is effecting the middle class. A country can not thrive without a strong middle class. McCotter understands that we are transitioning to a Global economy, and the middle class shouldn’t be taking the brunt of the social shock, being caused by the transition. It means steering the country toward fiscal conservatism not jerking the wheel strongly to the right and causing unnecessary social pain. Not unlike the approach Chris Christie has taken in New Jersey. McCotter also thinks that AGW is bunk so he has already passed my litmus test.

Dr Evil on July 1, 2011 at 12:20 PM

OH COME ON NOW!!!! The guy doesn’t have good hair like Romney or Perry or or or. He’s a chrome dome, and the last Chromey we had as President was Gerald Ford

Ain’t happenin’.

I has SPOKEN!!!

44Magnum on July 1, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Translation: there aren’t enough ultra-righties on here for my taste.
Door’s that way, chump, don’t let it hit you on the way out.
Uncle Sams Nephew on July 1, 2011 at 10:00 AM

First off, right wing is a liberal orwellian description to tie conservatives to totalitarian dictators (most of whom were leftwing socialists anyway, there haven’t been any capitalist dictators, it just doesn’t work. But that’s probably beyond someone as limited as you), Idiot. Second, if you are using that term it shows what you are really all about and third, who the hell are you, Dimwit? I’ve been on here for years and haven’t even seen your name before. You must be one of the limp wristed squishy’s or dysfunctional, self obsessed, poorly potty trained liberals who’ve slipped in during the last few open registrations.

peacenprosperity on July 1, 2011 at 3:18 PM

What the hell, the more the merrier. But it would be a good way to start a Senate run.

Terrye on July 1, 2011 at 3:19 PM

but then Michele’s resume is almost identical to candidate Obama in 2007.

That’s so apallingly wrong that it’s funny. You might want to go review Bachmann’s resume next to the minor league al sharpton’s one more time.

peacenprosperity on July 1, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Revenge of the bald…

rightwingyahooo on June 30, 2011 at 9:11 PM

You realize you’re being politically incorrect, right? Follically challenged.

TxAnn56 on June 30, 2011 at 10:06 PM