Quotes of the day

posted at 10:52 pm on June 30, 2011 by Allahpundit

“Already, the Bachmann boomlet has reset the expectations game in Iowa. The odds on Palin’s jumping into the race lengthen once again. With Pawlenty fighting to survive in Iowa, Jon Huntsman has an easier shot at breaking through in New Hampshire. The Huntsman hype machine must switch from selling the idea of his candidacy to reporters to selling the man himself to real voters. Without stronger New Hampshire poll numbers in the fall, the only precinct Huntsman is likely to carry will be the Morning Joe roundtable. The hopeful news for both Pawlenty and Huntsman is that for most primary voters, the campaign has yet to begin…

“For Romney, a two-way contest with Bachmann is a strategic dream come true. (Disclaimer: I worked for Romney in 2002.) It would draw attention and money away from his two real rivals, Huntsman and Pawlenty, and give him a simple race against a candidate who would remove much of the ambivalence many big-league Republicans still harbor about him. Make no mistake: faced with the terrifying prospect of nominating Bachmann and handing the presidency to Obama, the Republican establishment would rally hard and fast behind Romney. And while a unified Republican establishment in full combat mode cannot compete with the Tea Party when it comes to making cardboard Uncle Sam hats, GOP Inc. can easily crush a candidate like Bachmann over the full series of primaries.”

***
“Steinhauser stressed that he, and many activists, believe that Palin did an exceptional job as governor. And yet: ‘If she were still the sitting governor of Alaska, doing these great things, maybe she could kind of point toward that and say, ‘Here’s what’s going on in Alaska. Here’s what we’re doing. Here’s where we are in 2011.’ So the Sarah Palin in 2011 who’s governing Alaska maybe would be a much stronger candidate than the current (Palin), if she runs.’

“Bachmann, activists say, is instead viewed as being in the trenches — fighting for Tea Party causes, even battling her party’s leaders.

“‘The thing about Michele Bachmann that people in the Tea Party movement respect is the fact that she, for the most part, is voting the way they would expect her to vote. She has taken on the Tea Party mantle … and pushed it at a congressional level,’ said Tea Party Patriots co-founder Jenny Beth Martin.

“Others even likened Bachmann to a sort of political military leader — leading troops into battle.”

***

***

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

***
“Bachmann’s candidacy is heavily premised on her personal story — she is the only woman (and mother) in the race and mentions the fact that she has raised 5 children and 23 foster children at nearly every campaign stop.

“It’s what makes her stand out in the field. She is running as a sort-of personal populist — someone who not only feels your pain but has lived it

“All of the above is not to suggest that Bachmann’s decision to talk about her miscarriage was in any way a political or strategic gambit.

“But it does highlight what Bachmann brings to the table and how she has already begun to distinguish herself from the rest of the field.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 6 7 8

Yeah, you did. I guess my comment wasn’t really clear. I get tired of people pointing out Palin supporters only and never pointing anyone else out.

People hammering on Bachmann is just a mirror image of people hammering on Palin … yet those who go after Bachmann are now “bad” whereas people who attack Palin are ok and just voicing their opinion.

All I can say is Bachmann supporters: Welcome to the world of the Palin supporter.

darwin on July 1, 2011 at 9:22 AM

I don’t see Bachmann supporters claiming Palin used her children as political props.

I don’t see Bachmann supporters calling Palin “Obama in a skirt”.

I don’t see Bachmann supporters jerking off while making as many nasty remarks about Palin’s husband as they can.

Your comparison is invalid.

MadisonConservative on July 1, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Oh and it seems you have not noticed my complete history. I am normally on here bashing the likes of MJBrutus. Also, I do think there is a major point to be noted. The likes of unseen , idesign , and some others are way over the top. I have hit my limit with their rants. They may turn off people who like me who support SP, MB, and others in the GOP field. They have gone nutter…..that is a fact.

CW on July 1, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Well, to be honest I haven’t seen anything that Palin hasn’t received. Sure some criticism of Bachmann is merely intended to poke a stick, just like Palin detractors so … all the time.

Personally I think this will probably tone down. People have attacked Palin for years and some Palin folks just can’t help finally giving some payback.

In the meantime, welcome to the Hot Air colosseum! Where political gladiators fight and others are sacrificed!

darwin on July 1, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Who are the Bachmann supporters? Funny I can see myself voting for MB, SP, and others in the primary.

CW on July 1, 2011 at 9:35 AM

darwin on July 1, 2011 at 9:35 AM

You’re naive if you think that is all it is. There is certainly an obsession with some. Look at the posts of idesign. Send that fellow to a shrink and the shrink will make a ton of money. I am not poking a stick. I sense a ton of imbalance among the nutters.

CW on July 1, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Who are the Bachmann supporters?
CW on July 1, 2011 at 9:35 AM

The MSM, David Axelrod, and apparently Bill Clinton.

Punchenko on July 1, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Dude c’mon. That was used way back and still is in some circles.

I don’t see Bachmann supporters calling Palin “Obama in a skirt”.

Maybe not, but she has been called a “whore”.

Maybe not Todd, but Bristol seems to be a favorite target.

Your comparison is invalid.

MadisonConservative on July 1, 2011 at 9:27 AM

You’re not the Hot Air arbitrator of personal opinions or comments unless I missed the decree appointing you as such.

darwin on July 1, 2011 at 9:39 AM

darwin on July 1, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Oh, okay. The left has attacked Palin for years, so the few Palin fanatics are responding by attacking the left, right? Oh, that’s right. They’re attacking the only female conservative candidate in the race by claiming she’s copying her, going as far as to use the exact same attacks as the left used on Palin.

It’s wonderful you think that’s just fine and dandy that a few of the nuts that call themselves Palin supporters have revealed themselves to be no better than the filth that smeared Palin, giving payback to those…who have done nothing to deserve payback.

MadisonConservative on July 1, 2011 at 9:40 AM

CW on July 1, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Why is someone’s mental capacity challenged when he/she feels strongly about a particular candidate?

Punchenko on July 1, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Dude c’mon. That was used way back and still is in some circles.

By the left. Not by Bachmann supporters.

Maybe not, but she has been called a “whore”.

See previous answer.

Maybe not Todd, but Bristol seems to be a favorite target.

I hate repeating myself.

darwin on July 1, 2011 at 9:39 AM

One doesn’t need to be an arbitrator of personal opinions to recognize an invalid comparison. Damn, if you can’t even handle an objectively made criticism, it’s no wonder you’re fine with the little band of Palin fanatics acting like oversensitive lefties.

MadisonConservative on July 1, 2011 at 9:43 AM

CW on July 1, 2011 at 9:38 AM

This is exactly what I mean. Anyone who supports anyone else is ok … they’re balanced.

The second any Palin supporter does the same thing that has been done to Palin for years we now need pychiatric intervention.

I got it. Thanks.

darwin on July 1, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Punchenko on July 1, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Palin isn’t a candidate.

MadisonConservative on July 1, 2011 at 9:44 AM

I got it. Thanks.

darwin on July 1, 2011 at 9:44 AM

They are just trying to discredit anyone who is in Palin’s corner, that’s all. A few on here last night were lobbing personal attacks against fellow commenters all night and all morning long simply for pointing out some of Bachmann’s weaknesses and some of the bizzare comments made by her husband, Marcus.

Punchenko on July 1, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Palin isn’t a candidate.

MadisonConservative on July 1, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Never said she was.

Punchenko on July 1, 2011 at 9:48 AM

MadisonConservative on July 1, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Excuse me? You’re saying I can’t handle “objectively made criticism”?

It was my criticism that got your feathers ruffled. Secondly, you employ the same technique as everyone else. Attempted marginalization of anyone who doesn’t adhere to your rules.

I voiced an opinion, it wasn’t to your liking so now we’re all “fanatics”.

Former lefty?

darwin on July 1, 2011 at 9:50 AM

I take that back, MadCon. She may not be a declared candidate, but she is a politician — and potential candidate, a very likely candidate — that folks express strong support for.

Punchenko on July 1, 2011 at 9:52 AM

I voiced an opinion, it wasn’t to your liking so now we’re all “fanatics”.

Former lefty?

darwin on July 1, 2011 at 9:50 AM

It has gotten rather childish, in my opinion, all of this marginalization of folks who happen to still like Gov. Palin and see her as the best POTENTIAL candidate*.

Punchenko on July 1, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Never said she was.

Punchenko on July 1, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Then what candidate were you possibly referring to, when you asked why the mental capacity of supporters is challenged when they feel strongly about a candidate? Were you referring to incidents like this?

I can’t believe so many folks are jumping on the Bachmann crazy train.

Punchenko on June 30, 2011 at 11:18 PM

Oh look. Someone challenging the mental capacity of supporters of a candidate.

MadisonConservative on July 1, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Punchenko on July 1, 2011 at 9:52 AM

You know what a potential candidate is? Someone who isn’t a candidate.

You know what a very likely candidate is? Someone who isn’t a candidate.

You know what a candidate is? Someone who has declared their intention to run for office.

MadisonConservative on July 1, 2011 at 10:03 AM

The argument was that the media already has their attack lines ready for Palin, but somehow the other candidates will be fine.

Get real. The GOP nominee will be lied about, taken out of context, and basically slandered whether it’s Palin or anyone else.

I just think it’s weak to dismiss Palin because the media has already went after and damaged her, but think it can’t happen to anyone else.

I call BS on that. Get ready to fight for whoever wins the nomination.

chief on July 1, 2011 at 2:35 AM

Exactly. I seriously doubt attacks on either candidate based on the husband will make a difference. The husband is not running for office. In fact, it will probably just look like mudslinging and be tuned out by the public.

didymus on July 1, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Excuse me? You’re saying I can’t handle “objectively made criticism”?

darwin on July 1, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Yep. I pointed out that your comparison was invalid, because Bachmann supporters weren’t employing the same vitriol as a few Palin supporters. No personal attacks, just pointing out a fact.

You then said such a response was being the “Hot Air arbitrator of personal opinions or comments”.

Clearly, you can’t handle objective criticism, otherwise you would have addressed it rationally.

MadisonConservative on July 1, 2011 at 10:06 AM

MadisonConservative on July 1, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Clearly, you can’t handle disagreement. Again, you feel you must infer that I am “irrational” to make your point valid.

Calling people fanatical and irrational is not “objective”.

darwin on July 1, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Clearly, you can’t handle disagreement.

darwin on July 1, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Calling someone the “Hot Air arbitrator of personal opinions or comments” is disagreement, not a personal attack?

Fascinating.

MadisonConservative on July 1, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Fascinating.

MadisonConservative on July 1, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Dude, we’re not getting anywhere. You can continue to call me a fanatic and irrational and I’ll call you an arbitrator.

Take that you … you … you … arbitrator!!!!!!!

darwin on July 1, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Oh, look. In the post for the candidate survey, someone just implied that Bachmann accepted foster kids into her home so she could get money.

More objective criticism. And if it isn’t, well then, it’s just payback against those nasty Bachmann supporters…who never said anything of the kind against Palin.

MadisonConservative on July 1, 2011 at 10:26 AM

darwin on July 1, 2011 at 10:21 AM

I called you irrational in response to you calling me an arbitrator. I never called you a fanatic.

Are you capable of just saying “I overreacted”, and moving on?

MadisonConservative on July 1, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Are you capable of just saying “I overreacted”, and moving on?

MadisonConservative on July 1, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Yeah sure. Whatever makes you happy.

Anyway, I think “Dude, we’re not getting anywhere” was subtle hint that we should move on.

darwin on July 1, 2011 at 10:34 AM

NOBODY BEATS ØBAMA BUT PALIN

Still, on the basis of objective evidence, the chips fall in favor of Sarah Palin.

First, no President since James Garfield in 1880 has gone directly from the House of Representatives to the White House (my apologies to Newt Gingrich and Ron Paul fans).

Despite varying political persuasions, Americans instinctively prefer executive experience found in former governors including Reagan, Clinton, G.W. Bush, and even Carter.

As a former governor, Palin vetoed $237M of wasteful spending under Alaska’s billion-dollar annual budget. She proposed and often convinced the legislators on both sides of the aisle to reduce burdens on individuals and businesses by eliminating nuisance taxes and various bureaucratic road blocks to success like license fees and other unnecessary costs.

She achieved a record 88% approval rating by showcasing her independent streak of reaching across the aisle to Democrats in the legislative branch. Doing this made sure that fellow Republicans were, too, held accountable.

While one can appreciate Michele Bachmann’s entrepreneurial experience as a job-creator, Palin’s similar experience is now combined with that of an executive of a state. She knows how to utilize business experience for the greater good of job creators.

Further, as former head of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission (AOGCC), Sarah Palin knows firsthand the complexities involved in dealing with often-stubborn oil giants. Her experience can be utilized to explore tapping into our own resources benefiting our economy, creating jobs, and making us less dependent on foreign sources.

Finally, the aforementioned experience Palin has with handling the media is one characteristic which discourages Republicans from supporting her. However, those same naysayers seem to be ignoring the lashing Bachmann took yesterday.

In addition to voting records, experience, and name-recognition, media-written narratives have become an expected, yet sad reality to our electoral process. Since waiting around for the media to treat a good conservative candidate fairly is not likely to happen anytime soon, we have no choice but to accept it and fight back as we did in 2010.

That mission promises to be a lot easier with a candidate who has spent many years handling it than with one who is not even yet acclimated to it. Be it media wisdom, executive experience, or vast knowledge on issues like energy, it is Sarah Palin whose time has come.

Jayrae on July 1, 2011 at 10:37 AM

I can’t believe so many folks are jumping on the Bachmann crazy train.

Punchenko on June 30, 2011 at 11:18 PM

Oh look. Someone challenging the mental capacity of supporters of a candidate.

MadisonConservative on July 1, 2011 at 10:02 AM

I never challenged a commenter’s mental capacity or lack thereof. Yes, I called Bachmann and her Ed Rollins campaign the “crazy train” — which it is, BTW — and expressed puzzlement at to why so many are supporting her despite her lack of, well, you know — A RECORD.

You’re not crazy, MadCon. :-) Bachmann has an excellent chance at beating Obama (snickers).

Punchenko on July 1, 2011 at 10:38 AM

expressed puzzlement as***

Punchenko on July 1, 2011 at 10:39 AM

MadisonConservative on July 1, 2011 at 10:26 AM

And some of the Palinistas will not say sh!t about will a mouth full of it!!..:(

Dire Straits on July 1, 2011 at 10:50 AM

MadisonConservative on July 1, 2011 at 10:26 AM
And some of the Palinistas will not say sh!t about it with a mouth full of it!!..:(

Dire Straits on July 1, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Fixed!..:)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Punchenko on July 1, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Being possibly the most vocal conservative in the House. Voting against TARP and the auto bailouts when most of her Republican colleagues voted for them, and otherwise generally voting more conservative than them for the rest of her three terms. Introducing legislation to repeal ObamaCare the day after it was passed. Introducing legislation to repeal the Dodd-Frank Financial Reform Law, the primary component responsible for our devastating recession. Introducing legislation to reverse environmentalist measures forcing consumers to buy expensive and hazardous CFL light bulbs. Co-authoring the Credit and Debit Card Receipt Clarification Act. Bringing ACORN’s involvement with the 2010 Census to light. Forming the Tea Party Caucus. Being re-elected twice in a blue state while doing all of this.

I know, I know…you need a half a term as governor to actually have any kind of record.

MadisonConservative on July 1, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Now, now folks. I think that I can help resolve this running dispute I see. Allow me to be the peace maker and tell you that both sides are right. Neither lady has any chance whatsoever of getting elected. So let’s all just put paid to this strife and consider the candidates or potential candidates who do.

MJBrutus on July 1, 2011 at 11:07 AM

MadisonConservative on July 1, 2011 at 10:56 AM

It would help, yes. Managing a state is a bit more than *introducing* or *co-authoring* legislation.

Punchenko on July 1, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Punchenko on July 1, 2011 at 11:07 AM

You know what would really help, especially in an election?

Not having quit during your first term(regardless of the fact that her reasons for doing so were, in my opinion, legitimate).

Some people might just see that as antithetical to “executive experience”.

MadisonConservative on July 1, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Punchenko on July 1, 2011 at 11:07 AM

But it’s not as though she was governor of a real state.

MJBrutus on July 1, 2011 at 11:11 AM

MadisonConservative on July 1, 2011 at 10:56 AM

It’s not as though being against or submitting proposals (that never passed anyway) to repeal this or that law is being a real legislator.

MJBrutus on July 1, 2011 at 11:18 AM

MJBrutus on July 1, 2011 at 11:18 AM

So Nancy Pelosi is a “real legislator”, but Michele Bachmann isn’t?

MadisonConservative on July 1, 2011 at 11:21 AM

You know what would really help, especially in an election?

MadisonConservative on July 1, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Not having Michele or Marcus’ statements on tape?

Punchenko on July 1, 2011 at 11:23 AM

I don’t think Pelosi is qualified to be president — or Newt, for that matter — but she did at least MANAGE her caucus, round up votes, and get her party’s agenda through. Is that leadership? Why yes, yes it is.

Punchenko on July 1, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Not having Michele or Marcus’ statements on tape?

Punchenko on July 1, 2011 at 11:23 AM

There you go attacking the husband again, and ignoring the fact that both Sarah and Todd will be called $ecessionists for being friendly to the Alaska Independence Party.

Oh, wait. You didn’t ignore it. You just think nobody will care. What’s life like in your imaginary world?

MadisonConservative on July 1, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Punchenko on July 1, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Interesting. Those things don’t make Pelosi qualified to be president, but Bachmann needs them to be qualified for president. I think we’re into triple standards at this point.

MadisonConservative on July 1, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Calling Todd or Sarah Palin a “secessionist” is like calling GW Bush a “confederate.” There’s no substance to the name-calling.

One thing that everyone in the voting public is used to hearing in politics is mudslinging. I doubt it makes a big impression.

I also doubt there will be much media backlash against Bachmann because of her husband’s work with gays who want to renounce their behavior. People already know that Christianity is opposed to homosexuality, so it wil probably be implicitly dismissed as part of his religion.

The only way that gets really awkward is if Bachmann has to go on record about the subject, and her explanation rings false.

didymus on July 1, 2011 at 11:41 AM

MadisonConservative on July 1, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Of course Pelosi is manifestly unqualified. I was going with your assumption that being an effective legislature is a good qualification. I pointed out the even if her heart were in the right place MB was not an effective Congress critter. She never stopped the laws she opposed and never passed anything significant that she introduced.

MJBrutus on July 1, 2011 at 11:41 AM

I don’t think Pelosi is qualified to be presidentor Newt, for that matter — but she did at least MANAGE her caucus, round up votes, and get her party’s agenda through. Is that leadership? Why yes, yes it is.

Punchenko on July 1, 2011 at 11:25 AM

MadisonConservative on July 1, 2011 at 11:28 AM

I think it could help Bachmann’s case better, yes. Would it make her qualified? No. Once again, I think she needs some executive experience.

Punchenko on July 1, 2011 at 12:04 PM

didymus on July 1, 2011 at 11:41 AM

I can’t agree here at all. I think it destroys any hope she imagines she has. Just take a look at how Hollywood and the popular culture made HIV/AIDS a cause celebre, elevating its importance beyond so many other (and much more widespread) devastating diseases. Do you think that they won’t close ranks the moment they think that MB has a real shot at a nomination?

MJBrutus on July 1, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Oh, okay. The left has attacked Palin for years,

MadisonConservative on July 1, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Only the left? Come on. Some of the most vicious anti-Palin stuff I’v ever read has come from self-described conservatives on this site.

pseudoforce on July 1, 2011 at 12:18 PM

pseudoforce on July 1, 2011 at 12:18 PM

I think that many more cases the Palin supporters have attacked those who provided legit criticisms as though they were the vulgar smears of Andrew Sullivan et al.

MJBrutus on July 1, 2011 at 12:24 PM

MJBrutus on July 1, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Right. Criticisms of Palin have always been legitimate … always. People who don’t like Palin don’t enjoy poking sticks at Palin supporters either. Nope, never happens.

They’re all pure as the record driven snow given to us by global warming.

darwin on July 1, 2011 at 12:34 PM

They’re all pure as the record driven snow given to us by global warming.

darwin on July 1, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Who said they were? Need a Teddy Bear to hug :-)

MJBrutus on July 1, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Who said they were? Need a Teddy Bear to hug :-)

MJBrutus on July 1, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Yes please. Some bourbon would help too.

darwin on July 1, 2011 at 1:09 PM

darwin on July 1, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Attaboy!

MJBrutus on July 1, 2011 at 1:13 PM

MadisonConservative on July 1, 2011 at 10:03 AM

So we shouldn’t talk about Rick Perry? I agree. He’s toying with us and I for one am getting tired of it.

;)

alwaysfiredup on July 1, 2011 at 1:50 PM

MJBrutus on July 1, 2011 at 12:24 PM

I think differently. Go see The Undefeated. It’s crazy how many outright lies about Palin flourish even on the right.

alwaysfiredup on July 1, 2011 at 1:51 PM

I will vote for a bowling ball for President rather than the “O”.

mixplix on July 1, 2011 at 3:09 PM

darwin on July 1, 2011 at 9:22 AM

It is a world you create for yourself. You are one of the worst when it comes to attacking those whom are skeptical of Palin. You are simply getting served what you have been dishing up.

csdeven on July 1, 2011 at 3:26 PM

csdeven on July 1, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Well, I’ll wear your description of me “as one of the worst” as a badge of honor. Anything that gets your panties bunched up your rear end must be honorable.

darwin on July 1, 2011 at 3:41 PM

darwin on July 1, 2011 at 3:41 PM

You can wear whatever label you like. Just don’t act all 8uttbroke when you get treated in the exact same way you treat others.

csdeven on July 1, 2011 at 4:17 PM

csdeven on July 1, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Back at ya, obsessive weirdo.

pseudoforce on July 1, 2011 at 4:39 PM