Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on June 30, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

I have to admit it. I really look forward to Barack Obama’s press conferences. Why? They tend to create a lot of OOTD entries, and yesterday’s was no exception. I was wondering where best to start when this catch by Politico’s MJ Lee settled the question. If Barack Obama can’t get his daughter’s age correct — twice — how credible can he be on scolding Congress for budget battles?

President Obama, who has expressed his fears about his daughter Malia becoming a teenager next month, is apparently dreading her birthday so much that for a brief moment on Wednesday, he thought she had already turned 13.

At a press conference at the White House, Obama suggested that his daughters, who “generally finish their homework a day ahead of time,” could serve as role models for members of Congress.

“Malia’s 13, Sasha’s 10,” the president said, even though 12-year-old Malia still has a few days to go until her July 4 birthday. “It is impressive. They don’t wait until the night before. They’re not pulling all-nighters. They’re 13 and 10.”

Well, time does tend to pass by quickly when you’re a parent, but sometimes not quickly enough.

Comments

Close enough for government work.

NeighborhoodCatLady on June 30, 2011 at 8:09 AM

I thought him blaming corporate jet owners… who got $ in his idiotic stimulus was worse.

But this guy is so stupid how can you choose just one screw up?

tetriskid on June 30, 2011 at 8:10 AM

NeighborhoodCatLady on June 30, 2011 at 8:09 AM

heh

cmsinaz on June 30, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Eh – this one he gets a pass on from me. My Dad has done this many times as well. I think it’s a Dad thing.

gophergirl on June 30, 2011 at 8:10 AM

That’s what happens when you get used to fudging on your golf score, and get to do it so often. It’s just numbers: daughter’s age, budget totals, foreign campaign donations…

Yoop on June 30, 2011 at 8:11 AM

Father Knows Best……….except this time!

pilamaye on June 30, 2011 at 8:11 AM

tetriskid on June 30, 2011 at 8:10 AM

agree…the corporate jet owners was worse than this…

cmsinaz on June 30, 2011 at 8:11 AM

gophergirl on June 30, 2011 at 8:10 AM

If it was a Republican Colbert would dedicate a week and possible his life to it.

tetriskid on June 30, 2011 at 8:12 AM

Ed, you do have enough material here to go into next week

for sure

cmsinaz on June 30, 2011 at 8:12 AM

Hey, kids? Wanna go out clubbing but you’re still a few days shy of that 21st birthday? Well fret no more! Just show your ID to the bouncer and tell them you’re already 21. An’ tell ‘em your pal Barry O sent you.

apostic on June 30, 2011 at 8:13 AM

gophergirl on June 30, 2011 at 8:10 AM

As number six of seven sons, I had to wait while my mother would go down the list of names, chopped and distorted, until she got to mine to be certain she was calling for me.
As OOTD’s go, this isn’t weapons grade, but it’ll do.

SKYFOX on June 30, 2011 at 8:13 AM

As OOTD’s go, this isn’t weapons grade, but it’ll do.

SKYFOX on June 30, 2011 at 8:13 AM

Don’t get me wrong I can’t stand the guy but this is understandable. Now the other 100 lies/mistruths/distortions in the presser – that’s a different store.

gophergirl on June 30, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Meh. This is pretty weaksauce. She’s got less than a week until her birthday, and “13″ is a lot less awkward than “12 and almost 13.”

KingGold on June 30, 2011 at 8:15 AM

tetriskid on June 30, 2011 at 8:12 AM

You’re right but again to me – eh not a big deal.

gophergirl on June 30, 2011 at 8:16 AM

At least he doesn’t need congress approval in the new war he started,class warfare.

docflash on June 30, 2011 at 8:16 AM

Good father. Terrible president.

Ted Torgerson on June 30, 2011 at 8:16 AM

This gets a pass. My mother always called us by our next age as soon as we got within 6 mos of our birthday. Fact is, the kid probably would have been pissed if Dad insisted on calling her 12 until the last possible moment.

teacherman on June 30, 2011 at 8:16 AM

Almost 13 and saying she’s 13…. That’s like a “gimmie.” Couldn’t be that his game has been affecting his judgement, right?

apostic on June 30, 2011 at 8:21 AM

Can you imagine if Sarah Palin or Michele Bachmann did this?

publiuspen on June 30, 2011 at 8:22 AM

Good father. Terrible president.

Ted Torgerson on June 30, 2011 at 8:16 AM

I’m not ready to concede that point yet, Ted. I tend to see his relationship with his kids as more of an actor to his props. Of course, my opinion is colored by the nausea he instills in me.

SKYFOX on June 30, 2011 at 8:25 AM

Well, he really only cares about himself anyways. And, according to Dumbo, it’s still 2008 anyways.

search4truth on June 30, 2011 at 8:25 AM

Sometimes I furget the yung uns names!

The DOTUS gets a pass frum me.

PappyD61 on June 30, 2011 at 8:25 AM

That’s a bit picky. I’m a Dad. Within a few weeks of my daughter’s birthday, I’m likely to round up simply because it’s more reflective of her age. The picture of a kid who is 12 years and 11 months old is better expressed by saying she’s 13 than it is by saying she’s 12.

This gets a pass from me.

mr.blacksheep on June 30, 2011 at 8:27 AM

It’s just a number and they have no real meaning to Odamna. Just like everything else that comes out of that liar’s mouth.

“Words mean what I want them to mean when I speak them.”

With apologies to the Cheshire Cat…

Crusader Rabbit on June 30, 2011 at 8:27 AM

I’m surprised he didn’t say they were 10 and 7. He does think it’s 2008, after all.

What a d!ck.

Doughboy on June 30, 2011 at 8:28 AM

I think it is more of a gaffe that he thinks a child doing homework is equivalent to Congress deciding if we are going to be solvent when that child starts paying taxes.

Beaglemom on June 30, 2011 at 8:30 AM

Yeah..this gets a pass. When it comes to me, I round up the number of states when asked….to 57 or so.
And when it comes to starting wars, I round down the time to days not weeks.
And when it comes to telling people the savings in insurance premiums…well…I just make it up.

Electrongod on June 30, 2011 at 8:34 AM

All I know is how this works in my own family. The phrase “she’ll be 13 in July” works nicely; it’s not only accurate, it also offers the listener a chance to say “Happy birtday” next month.

apostic on June 30, 2011 at 8:35 AM

But the MSM is telling me that it’s Michelle Bachmann who’s “not ready for prime time.”

I’m so confused!

Shy Guy on June 30, 2011 at 8:35 AM

At least he got their names right, this time.

Fallon on June 30, 2011 at 8:36 AM

What’s interesting:

Nothing is spontaneous. If it’s an Obama “spontaneous story”, it was scripted days ago.

Who’s laughing? I’d bet what is left of my pension plan – White House workers. I’d bet!

Marcus on June 30, 2011 at 8:36 AM

You know, the head of BP spent his Father’s Day with his son on a project that they had spent years preparing for.
The President of the US, spent Father’s Day playing golf without his children.

Which one got excoriated in the press?
Which one was behaving like a good father?

barnone on June 30, 2011 at 8:37 AM

“Who’s their daddy?” Andrew Sullivan.

the_nile on June 30, 2011 at 8:37 AM

Which one got excoriated in the press?
Which one was behaving like a good father?

barnone on June 30, 2011 at 8:37 AM

Racist! You don’t understand “black culture”!

(gee, that was easy. No wonder the media uses it)

Marcus on June 30, 2011 at 8:41 AM

There is no number he can’t make bigger: deficits, spending, unemployment, inflation, now ages.

michaelo on June 30, 2011 at 8:42 AM

“I thought he was kinda a d*$& yesterday”

darclon on June 30, 2011 at 8:42 AM

As a serial birthday-forgeterrer, I am also inclined to give him a pass on this one. I cannot help but wonder what they would have said had a conservative or even *gasp* George Bush had said it? Would have trotted out the stupid meme and perhaps even suggested that he wasn’t even the kid’s father.

Huckabye-Romney on June 30, 2011 at 8:43 AM

As a Dad, I say this doesn’t meet the Obamateurism standard. When my kids are within a month or so of their birthdays, I tend to tell people the higher number too. So what?

ElectricPhase on June 30, 2011 at 8:47 AM

Come on, there’s gotta be something better in the presser. Even the jet thing wasn’t all that bad. He’s being consistent. So what if he gave them money in the porkulus, it’s not as if he wrote it, right.

Kissmygrits on June 30, 2011 at 8:47 AM

Breaks for Jet owners was a better one.

antisocial on June 30, 2011 at 8:48 AM

Well, considering homework is normally assigned on a daily basis, he is also full of crap on his “they don’t wait until the night before” BS as well. By definition, homework IS done “the night before.”

PJ Emeritus on June 30, 2011 at 8:49 AM

michaelo on June 30, 2011 at 8:42 AM

This is just because Obama is a moron. He doesn’t understand what number are.

tetriskid on June 30, 2011 at 8:49 AM

Good father. Terrible president.

Ted Torgerson on June 30, 2011 at 8:16 AM

Agree or disagree but we won’t know that until we see what type of job they do raising their own children.

chemman on June 30, 2011 at 8:50 AM

PJ Emeritus on June 30, 2011 at 8:49 AM

Depends on how dedicated the teacher was. I had a website that had every assignment for the entire year. Then again I taught Chemistry.

chemman on June 30, 2011 at 8:51 AM

I’ve called my min pin my daughter’s name & cannot remember what year I got married – meh

The “corporate jets vs. kids’ welfare” line was horrid.

Ris4victory on June 30, 2011 at 8:55 AM

Is Malia getting a jet for her birthday? Just askin’…

Fallon on June 30, 2011 at 8:57 AM

PJ Emeritus on June 30, 2011 at 8:49 AM

That’s what got my attention also. This man is a serial liar.

Keemo on June 30, 2011 at 8:59 AM

Yoop on June 30, 2011 at 8:11 AM

He fudges the numbers so much, when he made a hole-in-one, he wrote a zero on the scorecard.

KS Rex on June 30, 2011 at 8:59 AM

The Props & Styrofoam Columns Department czar forgot to submit the chirruns’ exploitation status report in time to load the teleprompter data accordingly.

viking01 on June 30, 2011 at 9:05 AM

“Who’s their daddy?” Andrew Sullivan.

the_nile on June 30, 2011 at 8:37 AM

Hehe. It’s like the return of a golden oldie….

apostic on June 30, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Soooooo Michelle Bachmann gets excoriated for the John Wayne living in Waterloo reference, instantly she’s a dumbass, but Obambi gets a pass for getting his daughters age wrong twice and for lying about their homework, and for basically acting like a snotty teenager?????

How do his supporters keep a straight face anymore, seriously?

Tim Zank on June 30, 2011 at 9:11 AM

Pres. O hasn’t been doing his homework on time. Perhaps he should follow the example of his children. The law requires him to submit a proposal for Medicare funding if a projected shortfall is reported by the Medicare Trustees. That should have happened before he submitted his joke of a budget that received zero votes in the Senate. He must have lost that shortfall proposal somewhere in the paperwork on his desk; or maybe it’s in the back pocket of his golfing shorts. The fact is that the leader of the Obamacrats hasn’t submitted a Medicare funding proposal for three years running as required by law. That’s poor leadership and a poor example for the children in his party. The Obamacrats who hold the majority in the Senate have been following the fine example of their leader in the White House. They haven’t passed a budget in 792 days as required by law. Why do we have these guys holding these positions if they won’t do what the law requires. Harry Reid and Barack Obama are a laughing stock when it comes to leadership. Obama misses the deadlines that really count. Has he missed a tee time this year?

stefano1 on June 30, 2011 at 9:12 AM

“I thought he was a dick yesterday,” – Mark Halperin

mechkiller_k on June 30, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Couldn’t get his daughter’s age correct , twice?

maybe this is why:

“Studies prove that eating an excess amount of Kobe beef tends to bring on early memory loss.”

or this:

“Studies prove that the excess CO2 in the air due to AGW tends to bring on early memory loss.”

Don L on June 30, 2011 at 9:21 AM

Another example of “What if…?”

What kind of mother is Sarah Palin that she doesn’t even know her daughter’s age. This is just another sign that she is a failure at being a mother. Obviously she’s spending too much time away from her family. Just imagine what would happen if, God forbid, she were to become president!

[Insert Jon Stewart video mocking Palin]

[Insert Stephen Colbert video mocking Palin]

[Insert new Tina Fey Saturday Night Live skit]

aunursa on June 30, 2011 at 9:21 AM

SKYFOX on June 30, 2011 at 8:25 AM

You said ‘colored’….. Racist.

StompUDead on June 30, 2011 at 9:22 AM

This man is a serial liar.

Keemo on June 30, 2011 at 8:59 AM

That implies a “time after time” sequence of lies. I would seek accuracy and go for the term, “continous” to describe his lies.

Don L on June 30, 2011 at 9:23 AM

You said ‘colored’….. Racist.

StompUDead on June 30, 2011 at 9:22 AM

In the finest MLK tradition it wasn’t racist -he meant to say “characterized” by…

Don L on June 30, 2011 at 9:25 AM

gophergirl on June 30, 2011 at 8:10 AM

It is, I have four adult children and I never get their ages correct. Last time we visited the grand kids, I even referred to one as “number 4″ (which was correct) because I couldn’t remember her name.

Must be early onset of Alzheimers.

jackal40 on June 30, 2011 at 9:29 AM

He was right but for a reason he probably wouldn’t acknowledge. Since life begins at conception, his daughter is some 9 months older than the age she will turn on July 4.

TXUS on June 30, 2011 at 9:30 AM

It’s the rule. If it is closer to your birthday than not, you move up to the new age. The rule ends at age 49.

ctmom on June 30, 2011 at 9:32 AM

I like the fact that he is demonizing corporate jet owners for taking tax credits that he signed off on in the stimulus as a better OOTD.

ctmom on June 30, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Wouldn’t it be something if she ‘punishes’ 0bama with a grandchild?????????

OmahaConservative on June 30, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Neil Cavuto had the last word on his Common Sense monologue yesterday:

“Just do it, indeed, Mr. President.

Like when democrats were running the capitol, and never offered a budget, at all.

If I know you, Mr. President, you were telling them to just do it, I just know it, probably missed it, but I’m convinced you did indeed say it.

After all, homework is homework.

Malia and Sasha get it.

It must frustrate the heck out of you sir that your own party does not.
…that we’re facing this budget all-nighter precisely because they were all AWOL last year.

And now there’s hell to pay for their tardiness this year.

Man, oh, man, you are so right. Kids know they have to get homework done, no matter how silly the assignment.”

eigafan on June 30, 2011 at 10:27 AM

This one should get less than 1% in the OOTW voting.

Sowell Disciple on June 30, 2011 at 10:28 AM

You’re right but again to me – eh not a big deal.

gophergirl on June 30, 2011 at 8:16 AM

My mother only has 2 kids and she STILL gets our our ages wrong occasionally.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 30, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Sorry, folks. I don’t mind rounding up less than 2%.

Let’s do better next time.

CLaFarge on June 30, 2011 at 10:42 AM

The only things important to Barry, are things ABOUT Barry.

GarandFan on June 30, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Come on folks, give little Bammie a break, it’s hard to subtract those islamic years.

slickwillie2001 on June 30, 2011 at 11:27 AM

eigafan on June 30, 2011 at 10:27 AM

What is wrong with him? Cavuto’s photo looks worse than he does in the whole.

Why doesn’t he or the business group on FOX have a stock recommend section? CNBC has all the wealthy viewers. It ain’t right. Seems to be a fortune in treasure among the corporate jet folks!

The key to the Dems handling of our crisis is that three letter word: “LIES”

IlikedAUH2O on June 30, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Not only do I get my children’s ages wrong, I don’t even know my own age sometimes.

This is further complicated when my three year old argues with me about how old she is. She insists she’s four. Pretty sure this will make her upcoming fourth birthday somewhat difficult to explain to her.

Malia’s birthday is in less than a week. She’s probably been talking about being a teenager for quite sometime now. This one gets a pass from this seat in the peanut gallery.

Pablo Snooze on June 30, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Eh. It doesn’t bother me that she’s not technically 13. What bothers me is that the manchild chose to use his children to act like a sandbox bully. What a fracking hypocritical jackass.

Buy Danish on June 30, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Pass.

I’m confident that he cares for his daughters as well as any decent father, and in the week or two leading up to the birthday of a tween, you know exactly how old they are about to be. Easy enough for that to be the age that slips into conversation when you are under pressure, like say your latest attempt to stuff the Big Lie down our throats.

Freelancer on June 30, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Give him a pass, and anyone who calls him a “dork,” rather than what Halperin called him. Close enough, and everyone knows what they really mean.

Christien on June 30, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Halperin nailed him, good. He was beyone hypocrisy, repeatedly.

He no longer even covers up being an impertinent power-hungry thug, at all costs.

He makes Chavez look reasonable.

Schadenfreude on June 30, 2011 at 2:42 PM

I feel sorry for Malia.

malclave on June 30, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Meh. I do the same thing, with both my age and my son’s (but not my wife’s, natch), and on purpose. It’s easier to communicate and more accurate to round up those couple of days than not.

sockpuppetpolitic on June 30, 2011 at 4:13 PM

teacherman on June 30, 2011 at 8:16 AM

Agreed, I do that too, except with my own age of course :) In that case, I’m the younger age until the very last possible moment.

Common Sense on June 30, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Can you imagine if Sarah Palin or Michele Bachmann did this?

publiuspen on June 30, 2011 at 8:22 AM

This says it all. Is this a major Obamateurism? No, not by a long shot but just think about Palin getting the age of one of her children wrong for a moment and compare it to how the media treats Dick Barack Obama.

Jay Mac on June 30, 2011 at 7:39 PM