Mika: Palin and Paris Hilton have a lot in common

posted at 12:45 pm on June 30, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Is Sarah Palin as “significant” as Paris Hilton? So says Mika Brzezinski in what has become a rather notorious episode of MSNBC’s Morning Joe. My good friend Matt Lewis appeared on the show this morning to discuss his new book, The Quotable Rogue: The Ideals of Sarah Palin in Her Own Words, and made the argument that Palin has “driven the debate” on a wide range of public policy for the last two years, especially with her Tea Party activism. Brzezinski scoffed and said that Palin might be no more significant than a lightweight celebrity more known for a sex tape than deep political thinking:

Joe Scarborough read Brzezinski out for her comment, noting that Palin is only one of two women to have run on a major-party ticket for Vice President:

GEIST: You said a minute ago, Matt, she’s the most significant woman of the 21st century. I can just hear our viewers screaming at their TVs. What about Hillary Clinton? Do you really think she’s the most significant, more so than Hillary Clinton?

BRZEZINSKI: I can’t, I can’t –

LEWIS: I said arguably, and I think you could make a case for Nancy Pelosi, as well, by the way, and Hillary Clinton and I’m sure some others. But I think you could make a good case for Palin because of the way — look at the Tea Party movement, which she was sort of at the forefront of. I think you could make a good case that Sarah Palin was in fact the most significant woman in terms of driving the debate, and certainly in terms of media coverage Sarah Palin has dominated it.

BRZEZINSKI: Yeah, but so does Paris Hilton, but that doesn’t mean they’re significant.

SCARBOROUGH: Hold on one second, don’t — let me stop right here. Don’t compare her to Paris Hilton.

BRZEZINSKI: I didn’t. I’m just saying –

SCARBOROUGH: You said so is Paris Hilton. You put her in the same category.

BRZEZINSKI: No. I’m saying there are people who get media coverage that maybe shouldn’t?

SCARBOROUGH: She’s one of two women — hold on a second, Matt.

LEWIS: The death panel comment is –

SCARBOROUGH: Hold on, hold on, hold on. Okay, let’s put it in perspective. I’m tired of her. People ask, “Why do we bring her up.” They’ll ask, “Why are we talking about her here.” You talk about Paris Hilton. I think that feeds into that narrative. Here’s the bottom line: She is one of the two only women who have ever been nominated for vice president of the United States of America. That ain’t nothing. It’s just like Dan Quayle for four years after he was vice president –

BRZEZINSKI: Okay, you’re going to have to let me respond.

SCARBOROUGH: — garnered more attention than that. That is why she remains significant.

BRZEZINSKI: No. I’m going to tell you there already was one and given the women that we have on the global landscape today, like Hillary Clinton, I mean, my lord. I’m sorry.

SCARBOROUGH: She’s in the top 10. I’m not saying she’s the most significant. You compared her to Paris Hilton.

BRZEZINSKI: No. I compared his statement about media coverage to Paris Hilton, okay? So, you know, you can jump on that like some of the –

Scarborough’s right, and even undersells his point. Her significance started as governor of Alaska, and then progressed as a national-party nominee for VP. But she’s done even more since then. Her PAC supported a number of Republicans in the 2010 midterms, most of whom won their elections in part due to her support. Palin has done as much as anyone has in the past two years for political organization in both grassroots and traditional party structure, all while being ridiculed by media figures like Brzezinski, whose main claim to fame is … being on television, and being the daughter of a former National Security Adviser in the Carter administration. If anyone has less standing to make a point about superficial celebritydom on Morning Joe, I’d like to know who it might be.

Besides, let’s not sell Paris Hilton short, either. She managed to sound more coherent than Barack Obama on economics during the 2008 campaign.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

unseen on June 30, 2011 at 10:00 PM

I never heard the Sharpton thing but I would be more upset about the PH thing. Even most liberals I know roll their eyes at any Sharpton/Jackson escapades because they are nothing but race-baiting hustlers.Paris evokes “imbecile who plays to the lowest common denominator” even though the imbecile part is obviously not true. She is a brand.

Southernblogger on June 30, 2011 at 10:22 PM

I remember looking at the show on Friday recently and they had a 12 x 12 foot picture of the cover of her book behind her the whole 3 hours and the entire show was devoted to her book. Which I’m sure to this day is still stuck in the mud at #789 on the Amazon Bestseller list.

Marcus on June 30, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Wow, a Palin thread that is pinned at the top of the page and posted almost 10 hours ago with less than 200 comments.

WTF?

Was this statement a bridge too far to actually cross for Hot Air’s biggest Palin detractors?

I’m a little surprised because I’ve seen the Palin is a celebrity meme blogged and commented on plenty of times at Hot Air.

This thread seems like it would be raw and bloody red meat for many of my fellow commenters.

Perhaps, like myself, many were away from their computers today and unable to comment on this thread.

It’s still a shocking development.

chief on June 30, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Southernblogger on June 30, 2011 at 10:22 PM

nah the PH thing is a none story. Palin isn’t a celeberity so the comparsion is a laugh riot on its face. And the 24,000 emails destory the narrative that she was stupid or in it for the money. the al sharpton thing was worse because it tried to paint Palin in the ight of a huckster playing on people’s precieved fears. which Palin never does she speaks of hope, faith and insipres individuals.

She doesn’t stoke anger.

unseen on June 30, 2011 at 10:32 PM

It’s still a shocking development.

chief on June 30, 2011 at 10:30 PM

nah the celeberity meme died with the 24,000 emails. The attempt to turn Palin into a tabloid figure has also failed. there really is no reason to defend her form this baseless attack because everyone knows even Joe himself that the attack has no merit and makes the one doing the attacking like Mika look just plain stupid.

unseen on June 30, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Mika and Heidi Fleiss seem to have a lot in common. Both paid to do pretty much the same thing.

viking01 on June 30, 2011 at 10:57 PM

Mika Brzezinski and a head of cabbage have a lot in common.

Kini on July 1, 2011 at 1:31 AM

Yet while Schuster spoke from typed notes, the first lady used a TelePrompTer, despite the relatively small and friendly audience.

This one too, Kini.

Schadenfreude on July 1, 2011 at 2:48 AM

Pot meet kettle, Mika.

Dark Star on July 1, 2011 at 4:31 AM

And Mika has a lot in common with Antartica
They are both white, cold and no one wants to go down there.

sargentj on July 1, 2011 at 6:16 AM

Mike, remind me again why Hillary is one of the greatest women of the 21st Century?

Right. Carpet-bagging, serial adulterer-enabling, Ivy-Leaguer.

Liberalism is a mental disorder, Mika.

BigAlSouth on July 1, 2011 at 6:17 AM

Mika Brzezinski and a head of cabbage have a lot in common.

Kini on July 1, 2011 at 1:31 AM

A head of cabbage can be turned into coleslaw. Mika’a head has no value in any form. Even as road pizza I doubt the crows would touch it.

Extrafishy on July 1, 2011 at 6:33 AM

If Mika had a brain she would be dangerous.

volsense on July 1, 2011 at 9:11 AM

Might you mean she has the most standing to make a point about a superficial celebrity? Takes one to know one, pot calling the kettle; that sort of thing?

MarkT on July 1, 2011 at 9:15 AM

So does Mika and Paris: Blond and dumb as an effing rock.

Mr. Grump on July 1, 2011 at 9:33 AM

nah the celeberity meme died with the 24,000 emails

You wish. America isn’t buying it.

Palin is the Republican Obama.

An unqualified celebrity with a silly fanbase.

Moesart on July 1, 2011 at 10:27 AM

If not for her father this vapid, vacuous troglodyte would be sitting in an apartment filled with cats…

Sgttj…ouch
Kini…that’s an insult to cabbage
Viking…someone would pay either of them? Frightening

PatriotPete on July 1, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Palin is the Republican Obama.

An unqualified celebrity with a silly fanbase.

Moesart on July 1, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Message received (for the billionth time). You may stop commenting now.

darwin on July 1, 2011 at 10:51 AM

you know you do your candidate no favors by stating you will not listen to other candidates. It makes you appear closed minded and unable to reach. I at least listen to the other candidates before finding 99% of them to be pale shadows of Gov Palin. I give every candidate a fair shake before decising who to support. if some other candidate comes around I would have no problem supporting him or her over Gov Palin. In fact I look for those candidates so that I know my choice is the right choice. Unlike you who have closed your mind and blindly supprt the flipflopper Mitt for years when evidence shows he is not worthy of your support.

Sad really I hate close minded people.

unseen on June 30, 2011 at 10:04 PM

1st, I have no candidate. Romney will probably be the nominee and I have made my peace with that.
2nd, I have eliminated 3 candidates from primary consideration. Paul because he’s nuts. Palin because she is unelectable, and Huntsman because he has been too supportive of Obama. I am studying Perry, Cain, Pawlenty, and McCotter and will decide over the coming months.

In the general, I will vote for a Limburger cheese sandwich. I have explained my position to you at least a dozen times in the past.

And your choice of Palin is your choice to make. The fact that many of you Palin supporters fail to, or refuse to grasp, is that your rabid support of Palin causes you to make absolutely nonsensical arguments to support her. Much like the Paulbots do.

Here are a few examples…..

1) Palins resignation is now an act of courage.
2) Palin is Rocky.
3) Anyone skeptical of Palin is close minded, idiotic, a hater, a demrat plant, or a troll.
4) Her immature habit of poking the media with a stick is judge as clever.

And the list goes on and on. And this isn’t just my position…..many, many people see this and are baffled by it and you insult us by calling us names because we don’t see it your way. Because it is so early in the process, we are only assured of one thing….we will be voting for whomever is the GOP nominee.

Your entire comment to me, in my assessment is just another example of your blind support of Palin causing you to make misguided and erroneous statements to anyone who does not hold your view. You Palin supporters could do yourself and your candidate a favor by discussing the truth about her failures in a rational manner irrespective of where it will lead as far as her electability is concerned. Or better yet, don’t defend the indefensible and simply sing her praises.

The emergence of Bachmann has revealed the double standard being employed by those Palin supporters. What you accept Palin doing you wont accept in any candidate that is her competition.

csdeven on July 1, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Pro-Palin Moby on a conservative site? No such creature.

pseudoforce on June 30, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Wrong. The irrational justification inherent in you Palin fans make her look really bad. You act as if you are pro-Palin but what you are is anti-common sense and that rubs off on Palin.

Only a Moby would do that.

csdeven on July 1, 2011 at 10:58 AM

1) Palins resignation is now an act of courage.
2) Palin is Rocky.
4) Her immature habit of poking the media with a stick is judge as clever magnificent!

csdeven on July 1, 2011 at 10:53 AM

You are awesome!

darwin on July 1, 2011 at 11:00 AM

You are awesome!

darwin on July 1, 2011 at 11:00 AM

It is only magnificent if you judge it by the results of the increased donations to her PAC by her fans. If you look at the decreased support she suffers from the country as a result of that childish behavior , it is counter productive.

csdeven on July 1, 2011 at 11:37 AM

csdeven on July 1, 2011 at 11:37 AM

You’re going have to prove that her support has decreased, and that how she handles the media is counter productive. There’s no evidence of either.

She’s simply asking for the truth from the media and until that’s provided she sees no use for them. I agree.

darwin on July 1, 2011 at 11:56 AM

darwin on July 1, 2011 at 11:56 AM

She has been poking the media since 2008. Her unfavorables have steadily climb since then. And except for one recent outlier poll, the trend is negative for her.

csdeven on July 1, 2011 at 12:02 PM

csdeven on July 1, 2011 at 12:02 PM

The trend is always negative. I don’t think it’s been a steady decrease. Plus, how is it counter productive?

darwin on July 1, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Plus, how is it counter productive?

darwin on July 1, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Whining about and poking the media creates an image of an undisciplined person.

csdeven on July 1, 2011 at 2:54 PM

csdeven on July 1, 2011 at 12:02 PM

She’s approved by about 80% of Republicans. That’s all that matters in a primary. Obsess on that awhile.

pseudoforce on July 1, 2011 at 6:49 PM

darwin on July 1, 2011 at 10:51 AM

If this economy turns around, conventional warfare is out.

Former Governor Palin or Newt may be our only hope.

The media will help the Dems roll over Mitt like he is not there.

SOME LOVE FOR MITT I am not as bright on many topics as some around here but Mitt is going to amaze, astonish and awe the electorate. The ads so far are just the beginning.

IlikedAUH2O on July 1, 2011 at 7:55 PM