Mika: Palin and Paris Hilton have a lot in common

posted at 12:45 pm on June 30, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Is Sarah Palin as “significant” as Paris Hilton? So says Mika Brzezinski in what has become a rather notorious episode of MSNBC’s Morning Joe. My good friend Matt Lewis appeared on the show this morning to discuss his new book, The Quotable Rogue: The Ideals of Sarah Palin in Her Own Words, and made the argument that Palin has “driven the debate” on a wide range of public policy for the last two years, especially with her Tea Party activism. Brzezinski scoffed and said that Palin might be no more significant than a lightweight celebrity more known for a sex tape than deep political thinking:

Joe Scarborough read Brzezinski out for her comment, noting that Palin is only one of two women to have run on a major-party ticket for Vice President:

GEIST: You said a minute ago, Matt, she’s the most significant woman of the 21st century. I can just hear our viewers screaming at their TVs. What about Hillary Clinton? Do you really think she’s the most significant, more so than Hillary Clinton?

BRZEZINSKI: I can’t, I can’t –

LEWIS: I said arguably, and I think you could make a case for Nancy Pelosi, as well, by the way, and Hillary Clinton and I’m sure some others. But I think you could make a good case for Palin because of the way — look at the Tea Party movement, which she was sort of at the forefront of. I think you could make a good case that Sarah Palin was in fact the most significant woman in terms of driving the debate, and certainly in terms of media coverage Sarah Palin has dominated it.

BRZEZINSKI: Yeah, but so does Paris Hilton, but that doesn’t mean they’re significant.

SCARBOROUGH: Hold on one second, don’t — let me stop right here. Don’t compare her to Paris Hilton.

BRZEZINSKI: I didn’t. I’m just saying –

SCARBOROUGH: You said so is Paris Hilton. You put her in the same category.

BRZEZINSKI: No. I’m saying there are people who get media coverage that maybe shouldn’t?

SCARBOROUGH: She’s one of two women — hold on a second, Matt.

LEWIS: The death panel comment is –

SCARBOROUGH: Hold on, hold on, hold on. Okay, let’s put it in perspective. I’m tired of her. People ask, “Why do we bring her up.” They’ll ask, “Why are we talking about her here.” You talk about Paris Hilton. I think that feeds into that narrative. Here’s the bottom line: She is one of the two only women who have ever been nominated for vice president of the United States of America. That ain’t nothing. It’s just like Dan Quayle for four years after he was vice president –

BRZEZINSKI: Okay, you’re going to have to let me respond.

SCARBOROUGH: — garnered more attention than that. That is why she remains significant.

BRZEZINSKI: No. I’m going to tell you there already was one and given the women that we have on the global landscape today, like Hillary Clinton, I mean, my lord. I’m sorry.

SCARBOROUGH: She’s in the top 10. I’m not saying she’s the most significant. You compared her to Paris Hilton.

BRZEZINSKI: No. I compared his statement about media coverage to Paris Hilton, okay? So, you know, you can jump on that like some of the –

Scarborough’s right, and even undersells his point. Her significance started as governor of Alaska, and then progressed as a national-party nominee for VP. But she’s done even more since then. Her PAC supported a number of Republicans in the 2010 midterms, most of whom won their elections in part due to her support. Palin has done as much as anyone has in the past two years for political organization in both grassroots and traditional party structure, all while being ridiculed by media figures like Brzezinski, whose main claim to fame is … being on television, and being the daughter of a former National Security Adviser in the Carter administration. If anyone has less standing to make a point about superficial celebritydom on Morning Joe, I’d like to know who it might be.

Besides, let’s not sell Paris Hilton short, either. She managed to sound more coherent than Barack Obama on economics during the 2008 campaign.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Mika: Palin and Paris Hilton have a lot in common

They sure do. Both are about 100 times prettier than you.

BobMbx on June 30, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Paris Hilton has more in common with Obama … all style, no substance.

Tony737 on June 30, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Heh.

Way to twist the knife a little, Cap’n Ed.

Me likey.

cs89 on June 30, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Let’s start doing comparisons using Moochy Obama, see how that flies with the lefties.

Bishop on June 30, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Ok, the Horn of Conflict has been sounded!

To arms!

Brian1972 on June 30, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Actually, Mika has far more in common with Paris Hilton.

slickwillie2001 on June 30, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Mika, mika mika

You got called out big time….own it

cmsinaz on June 30, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Jealousy, thy name is Mika.

publiuspen on June 30, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Wait just a second. Mike Brzezinski is complaining about someone getting too much airtime because they are pretty, blonde and have a famous family name?

Tread very carefully over those grounds there, missy.

JohnGalt23 on June 30, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Let’s review the bidding on how Hillary got where she is, shall we? Might even throw in a few thoughts about Rose Law Firm, big profits on cattle commodities and snipers in Bosnia. Oh,..I forgot the reset button.

a capella on June 30, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Mika is a dick

faraway on June 30, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Mika Brzezinski? Who is Mika Brzezinski? Is she significant?

ZenDraken on June 30, 2011 at 12:54 PM

I guess that means Michelle Bachmann is just like Lindsey Lohan. Oh wait, unseen told us Bachmann is Obama in a skirt.

Knucklehead on June 30, 2011 at 12:54 PM

I happened to be watching Mika when they announced Sarah as VP pick. This was before the MSM knew anything about her. She said she was amazed by Sarah and was impressed by the fact that she was the working mom of 5 kids. Then the hate narrative intervened and here we are.

txmomof6 on June 30, 2011 at 12:54 PM

If she’s irrelevant, Mika, then stop talking about her. Stop doing stories about her. Stop wasting your time ridiculing her.

Doughboy on June 30, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Yes. The Right never said such things about Ferraro. IIRC. And, shouldn’t Palin be considered as a contender, as she WAS on the ticket in 2008?

Paul-Cincy on June 30, 2011 at 12:55 PM

From the neck down, they’re all the same.

Just kidding!

odat on June 30, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Paris Hilton has more in common with Obama … all style, no substance.

Tony737 on June 30, 2011 at 12:50 PM

This. They do have substance though. It’s just not much.

Paul-Cincy on June 30, 2011 at 12:56 PM

I would vote for Paris Hilton over Obama. And probably most Democrats for that matter.

Kataklysmic on June 30, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Meow

Beaglemom on June 30, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Knucklehead on June 30, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Oh goodie, let’s keep this going a little longer.

csdeven told me I had earned a comparison with Al Queda.

Not enough flame wars around here./

Brian1972 on June 30, 2011 at 12:57 PM

From the neck down, they’re all the same.
[ducks]
Just kidding!

odat on June 30, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Better

odat on June 30, 2011 at 12:57 PM

You mean like they wouldn’t intentionally screw things up just to implement their pet theories? I agree.

Uncle Sams Nephew on June 30, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Kataklysmic on June 30, 2011 at 12:56 PM

That isn’t something I would say, or be advertising.

Come on.

Brian1972 on June 30, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Mika, that’s kind of a dick thing to say.

Kenosha Kid on June 30, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Hahahaha … Palin has reduced them to babbling about gibberish.

Look, MSNBC morons. Over time, your constant attacks on a woman that has done nothing but worked hard, been a good mother and a fine public servant grates on even people who are ambivalent about Palin. Even people that don’t like her are beginning to get tired of your schtick.

Please keep it up.

darwin on June 30, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Come on.

Brian1972 on June 30, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Not as bad as what D.C. is doing to us.

odat on June 30, 2011 at 1:00 PM

I can’t stand to see Hillary brought up as a woman of achievement. She became a Senator only because she was married to Bill and she has been a total and complete failure as Sec of State. It is insulting to even think about comparing Hillary to Palin.

huckleberryfriend on June 30, 2011 at 1:00 PM

A cheap shot by a scumbag host on MSNBC?

Whooda thunk it?

Bruno Strozek on June 30, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Mika: I make cheap superficial comments all the time…I work for MSNBC ya know……

Dr Evil on June 30, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Mika thinks Hillary is more significant than Sarah? In the 21st century? Seriously?

Haillary carpetbagged a secure seat in the Senate and then did practically nothing there. She didn’t make the finals in 2008 Presidential election, losing to the Miserable Failure. And that election attempt was her only national impact.

Now she’s Secretary of State, presiding over reset buttons that are spelled wrong, birthday cards sent out at the wrong time, and being instrumental in selling an Idiot on a days not weeks war that he’s stuck in a corner on and pushing to get impeached because.

Hillary was more influential in the 20th century when she refused to bake cookies and had a better hairstyle.

Dusty on June 30, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Mika is always pushing the boundaries of vacuosity. They should do a Real Housewives Of MSNBC, not that i would watch it.

TedInATL on June 30, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Mika’s father, Z-Big, advocated a couple of years ago that if the Isreali Air Force were to cross Iraqi airspace covertly in order to attack Iran’s nuclear facilities, the US Air Force should intercept them with F-15s and force them to turn around. If they would not turn around, the US Air Force should shoot down IAF aircraft over Iraq.

What do you think would happen to any IAF pilot parachuting into some Iraqi village, assuming he survived the destruction of his American made F-16 or F-15?

This man, and his daughter are a big fat joke.

Brian1972 on June 30, 2011 at 1:04 PM

What a dick.

The Mega Independent on June 30, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Wait a tick,BRZEZINSKI has that Paris,off to the side
hair-do,and blonde to boot!!

canopfor on June 30, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Ha ha…
Sarah is now ‘standing above the’ media like a goddess!
And you can quote me on that.

RalphyBoy on June 30, 2011 at 1:06 PM

“…. a lightweight celebrity more known for a sex tape than deep political thinking”

And the sex tape sucks. I’ve heard the sex tape sucks.

mrt721 on June 30, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Took the words right out of my mouth. Well, I’m not too sure about “pretty”.

The Monster on June 30, 2011 at 1:07 PM

MSNBC
===========

***************************FEAR*****************************

canopfor on June 30, 2011 at 1:07 PM

huckleberryfriend on June 30, 2011 at 1:00 PM

No kidding. If we could hit the reset button on Hillary’s career and start it over without Billy Jeff, she would probably be doing what Gloria Allred is doing now.

Sarah did everything she has done on her own, against the odds, despite conventional wisdom.

There is no comparison.

Brian1972 on June 30, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Mika is a jealous bitch. MSNBC is scum.

afotia on June 30, 2011 at 1:09 PM

That isn’t something I would say, or be advertising. Paris Hilton is an idiot, who made a video of herself having sex and released it to the public. Come on.

Brian1972 on June 30, 2011 at 12:58 PM

It’s called humor.

Wow, tough crowd.

Kataklysmic on June 30, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Compared to the accomplishments of Sarah Palin, Mika Brzezinski is nothing more than a bubbleheaded bleached blond boneheaded maroon whose only chief accomplishment is to get a second-fiddle talking head position on a left wing morning news show that hardly anyone watches on a Liberal news network that has been struggling to keep its empty head above the water in the ratings since Day One and that only seems to appeal to the type of rabid lunatic fringe creature that literally foams at the mouth at the mere mention of the word “conservative”.

pilamaye on June 30, 2011 at 1:09 PM

txmomof6 on June 30, 2011 at 12:54 PM

i remember that…she was thrilled about the move….

cmsinaz on June 30, 2011 at 1:10 PM

A cheap shot by a scumbag host on MSNBC?

Whooda thunk it?

Bruno Strozek on June 30, 2011 at 1:00 PM

I wanted to suggest that I expected better of Mika, but my hands were shaking from laughing so hard.

SKYFOX on June 30, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Mika is a jealous Witch (drop the “W” and replace it with a “B”) and MSNBC is scum.

afotia on June 30, 2011 at 1:10 PM

both conservatives that play the media to get rich? hmmmm…

Kaptain Amerika on June 30, 2011 at 1:11 PM

It’s called humor.

Wow, tough crowd.

Kataklysmic on June 30, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Ok, that phrase “I would vote for Paris Hilton” just hit me all kinds of wrong!

Didn’t see a sarc tag or anything, so I took it literally.

Sorry.

Brian1972 on June 30, 2011 at 1:11 PM

They’re both women!

CynicalOptimist on June 30, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Come on.

Brian1972 on June 30, 2011 at 12:58 PM

The MSM videos Obama day screwing the whole country.

Tommy_G on June 30, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Should read “every day”

Tommy_G on June 30, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Oh Jane Mika, you ignorant sl*t.

portlandon on June 30, 2011 at 1:12 PM

On the Palin vrs Hopey Poll crap,on whos more
popular in Alaska!
=====================

Obama beats Palin in Alaska, Hays Research poll says
June 29, 2011, 10:58 a.m.
**************************

canopfor on June 30, 2011 at 1:13 PM

I wonder who will be the first to show and say…..

I don’t really like Mika or MSNBC, but really all she did was tell the truth, what’s wrong with that?“……or something to that effect.

Any bets?

Brian1972 on June 30, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Mika Brzezinski and Paris Hilton = Both dumb blonds that got to where they are today based on their family name.

Blake on June 30, 2011 at 1:15 PM

The MSM videos Obama day screwing the whole country.

Tommy_G on June 30, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Yeah. True.

There are all kinds of jokes running through my head, but I’ll abstain for the sake of decency. :)

Brian1972 on June 30, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Blake on June 30, 2011 at 1:15 PM

……and a few other things.

Brian1972 on June 30, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Compared to the accomplishments of Sarah Palin, Mika Brzezinski is nothing more than a bubbleheaded bleached blond boneheaded maroon moron whose only chief accomplishment is to get a second-fiddle talking head position on a left wing morning news show that hardly anyone watches on a Liberal news network that has been struggling to keep its empty head above the water in the ratings since Day One and that only seems to appeal to the type of rabid lunatic fringe creature that literally foams at the mouth at the mere mention of the word “conservative”.

pilamaye on June 30, 2011 at 1:09 PM

FIFY. Btw, nice use of alliteration there.

TxAnn56 on June 30, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Mika, while mocking Sarah Palin talking about her favorite Founding Fathers, said her favorite was Abraham Lincoln.

After saying “all of them”, Sarah picked George Washington.

Discuss.

Brian1972 on June 30, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Mika’s favorite founding father is Abraham Lincoln.

lonestar1 on June 30, 2011 at 1:20 PM

From the neck down, they’re all the same.

Just kidding!

odat on June 30, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Reminds me of the joke about the useless piece of flesh surrounding the v*gina.
***
***
***
***
***
***
You know…

A woman?

*ducks*

fossten on June 30, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Why would Hillary Clinton be considered that great either?

She’s not the first woman to be the President’s wife.

She’s not the first woman to be elected to senate.

She’s not the first woman to run for President.

She’s not the first woman to be Secretary of State.

So, other than being ‘not the first’ at a whole lot of things, what are the policies and accomplishments credited to her that make her such a compelling figure?

JadeNYU on June 30, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Mika is simply playing the role of Jan (the middle daughter) on Brady Bunch: “Marcia, Marcia, Marcia. That’s all we ever hear.”

Mika is exasperated as a liberal feminist and as a middle-aged woman. She loathes Palin and resents that a rube like Palin strikes a chord with so many. Every time I want to cringe at something Palin says, I just remember that I’d give my nuts for neighbors and fellow citizens like Palin and Bachmann while regretting I share citizenship with tools like Mika.

BuckeyeSam on June 30, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Mika is an arm-flailing dummy.

Where her brain is supposed to be there is a note, on which is typed “brain”.

Schadenfreude on June 30, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Blake on June 30, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Megan McCain, like, totally, like, totally agrees.

Geochelone on June 30, 2011 at 1:27 PM

BuckeyeSam on June 30, 2011 at 1:22 PM

BuckeyeSam:Here ya go!
========================

Marcia, Marcia, Marcia
**********************

canopfor on June 30, 2011 at 1:28 PM

You know…

A woman?

*ducks*

fossten on June 30, 2011 at 1:20 PM

fossten:Oh no,you didn’t,haha!

canopfor on June 30, 2011 at 1:29 PM

The envy is strong in that one.

the_nile on June 30, 2011 at 1:29 PM

BuckeyeSam on June 30, 2011 at 1:22 PM

well said

cmsinaz on June 30, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Mika shouldn’t be making unflattering comparisons to Paris Hilton about anyone. Glass houses, and all that.

novaculus on June 30, 2011 at 1:34 PM

JadeNYU on June 30, 2011 at 1:20 PM

I bet the army could use her as a sniper-fire avoidance instructor.

BobMbx on June 30, 2011 at 1:40 PM

At least she didn’t call her a monkey, as Erin Burnett called President Bush on MSNBC on, of all places, Morning Joe a few years ago.

Did she suffer any consequences other than making an apology toward end of a discussion with Chris what’s-his-name “if I offended anyone”?

Drained Brain on June 30, 2011 at 1:42 PM

This is 1979 all over again.

Carter v. Reagan (with a third party threat looming to save the Republic from the WARMONGER Conservative)

Obama v. Palin (with a third party threat looming to save the Republic from the MEDIA WHORE Conservative).

RUN PALIN RUN!!!

PappyD61 on June 30, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Good Post Ed. Credit where it is do.

unseen on June 30, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Come on.

Brian1972 on June 30, 2011 at 12:58 PM
Not as bad as what D.C. is doing to us.

odat on June 30, 2011 at 1:00 PM

AND in reverse of how it should be……..WE’RE PAYING THEM to do it to us.

PappyD61 on June 30, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Mika is a dick

faraway on June 30, 2011 at 12:53 PM

No, she only wishes she had one! LOL

Amjean on June 30, 2011 at 1:51 PM

I definitely would vote for Paris Hilton over 0bama. She’s more qualified because at least she has a sense of how business is run.

I would also rather see the gov’t go bankrupt rather than to see her taxed one more dime to fund the welfare state kleptocracy.

Finally, big deal if she had sex on tape. 0bama screwed the whole country.

Lou Budvis on June 30, 2011 at 1:53 PM

note to mika, Hilton would never be able to deliver a speech like this:

unseen on June 30, 2011 at 1:54 PM

No, she only wishes she had one! LOL

Amjean on June 30, 2011 at 1:51 PM

something tells me she doesn’t play for that team

unseen on June 30, 2011 at 1:55 PM

“I can’t……”

That stupid slag does that all the time anytime a Conservative woman is mentioned. She’s an idiot. A set of boobs on the set, nothing more.

Marcus on June 30, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Dusty on June 30, 2011 at 1:04 PM
Didn’t Hillary also “purchase” the votes for her senate
seat by her husband pardoning some crooks? Or was that
one of the other times! LOL

Amjean on June 30, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Siting in the front row, we had the perfect vantage point. We were so close we could have almost reached out and touched her. She was literally only a couple feet in front of us as she delivered this heart felt and moving, off the cuff speech. You will notice there was no teleprompter nor even any notes.

She spoke with the conviction of someone who believes what they are saying. Sitting that close for this stirring speech was truly inspirational. She is the real deal.

yeah somehow I doubt hilton would command this tyoe of reaction.

unseen on June 30, 2011 at 1:59 PM

A set of boobs on the set, nothing more.

Marcus on June 30, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Probably artificially enhanced ones at that.

TxAnn56 on June 30, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Amjean on June 30, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Come on now, Hillary played a crucial role in getting Lady Gaga to a concert in Italy. That has to be a highlight of her career as Secretary of State.

slickwillie2001 on June 30, 2011 at 2:01 PM

What did we expect from the daughter of Zbigniew Carter?

Don L on June 30, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Didn’t Hillary also “purchase” the votes for her senate
seat by her husband pardoning some crooks? Or was that
one of the other times! LOL

Amjean on June 30, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Peurto Rican terrorists if I recall right. But, what’s wrong in loosing a few terrorists when it means you can get a Senate seat. Now if she had only waited for Blago’s Senate seat firesale…

Don L on June 30, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Hot Air actually took note of Erin Burnett’s 2007 Bush as monkey-in-the-middle remark here.

It didn’t seem to hurt Burnett’s career.

I’d be more worried if I were Halperin. It’s funny that Carney had to point out that “It would be inappropriate to say that about any president of either party”, perhaps reminding his liberal supporters not to revert back to Chimpy Bushitler just now.

Drained Brain on June 30, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Abraham Lincoln.

mizflame98 on June 30, 2011 at 2:12 PM

You know this stuff doesn’t either bother me much anymore. Mika and others have exposed how stupid and insulated in their bubble they are. they are as Bristol would say “gnats” And you don’t really let “gnats” bother you unless they swarm. Mika is a low rated personaility ona low rated cable news show that no body but the idiots in Dc watch.

Palin is a national political figure able to direct and capture the national narrative unlike any woman in the country and at this stage only one man beats her in this regard and that is Obama. If you are as powerful as Obama in driving the national discussion a person like Mika is nothing more than a gnat.

Like water off a duck’s back. Mika just furthers exposes her hate for palin and Joe in his “defense” exposes his real thinking of Palin. Joe knows she is relevant, he knows she is powerful and all his talk about her being politically dead was all hat no cattle. And his attempt to drive a narrative that failed.

unseen on June 30, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Why is Mika getting any TV coverage?

They hate Palin because of 2010.

May they continue to have even bigger reasons to hate her!

Schadenfreude on June 30, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Mika: you just broke the needle on the Idiot Meter… Shut your piehole!!

Khun Joe on June 30, 2011 at 2:16 PM

People like Mika react to Palin like a cat to a laser pointer. They keep flipping out and swiping at her, but can never catch her. It’s sad and funny at the same time, but mostly funny.

Christien on June 30, 2011 at 2:16 PM

but mostly funny.

Christien on June 30, 2011 at 2:16 PM

yeap. the 24,000 emails destoryed the celebrity meme.

unseen on June 30, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Mika has to live 10 lives and will still not reach Sarah Palin’s raison d’être.

Schadenfreude on June 30, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Other than them both having names that start with the letters “Pa…”, they have nothing in common other than being female.

Hoof Hearted on June 30, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Hoof Hearted on June 30, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Even then you have to mix the first and last names.

Schadenfreude on June 30, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Paris Hilton has more business savvy, brains and wits, related to Mika, not that it’s saying much about how she makes her money. Still, she’s better at it and more relevant, this also being an insult to Mika.

Schadenfreude on June 30, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Mika B is a twit. I cannot understand why she is even a commentator – she is the one who is in the Paris Hilton category (yeah, also famous daddy and that’s why she’s even known at all). Mika, you are envious of Sarah Palin because she is so much more than you will ever be, you sanctimonious lightweight. I think a more apt comparison for you is Meghan McCain. Another lightweight (well, certainly not literally!)

disa on June 30, 2011 at 2:30 PM