Halperin: Obama was a … Update: MSNBC suspends Halperin “indefinitely”

posted at 8:45 am on June 30, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

I’ve been in radio for a few years now, and the first rule in broadcasting is this — always assume the microphones are hot and that you’re going live. (The second rule is never assume that the incoherent caller is drunk, but that’s a story for another day.) Mark Halperin apparently forgot that first rule this morning on MSNBC, and decided to give a rather blunt assessment of Barack Obama’s performance in yesterday’s press conference. Halperin’s use of language went out live, thanks to a producer who couldn’t operate the seven-second delay:

Mark Halperin, editor-at-large for Time, called President Obama “a dick” on Thursday on a popular MSNBC morning show and then quickly apologized.

“I thought he was a dick yesterday,” Halperin, who also is a senior political analyst for MSNBC, said on Morning Joe, referring to the President’s conduct during his press conference.

Halperin later apologized for his language, but the fuss seems a little overblown. “Dick” isn’t a word that needs to be censored; for one thing, it’s a proper name used by a number of politicians, including Dick Durbin, who’s second in Democratic leadership in the Senate. It’s also a playground word for “jerk” or “penis,” but hardly an obscenity. Either way, the producer shouldn’t be blamed for missing the delay button.

Halperin should be apologizing for a lack of imagination. He’s right in that the President acted like a pouting, sullen adolescent during the press conference, whining about having to answer for the constitutionality of sending men and women into combat without asking Congress for authorization. Obama bizarrely blamed the fiscal crisis on a small coterie of corporate-jet owners, a heretofore unknown juggernaut of economic destruction. Instead of acting presidential, Obama gave us a hissy fit for over sixty minutes. And the best Halperin can do is “dick”?

Maybe Halperin is just channeling his inner Spicoli:

Update:  MSNBC decides to get a little dickish with Halperin:

“Mark Halperin’s comments this morning were completely inappropriate and unacceptable. We apologize to the President, The White House and all of our viewers,” in a statement by MSNBC spokesperson Jeremy Gaines. “We strive for a high level of discourse and comments like these have no place on our air. Therefore, Mark will be suspended indefinitely from his role as an analyst.” …

“I completely agree with everything in MSNBC’s statement about my remark. I believe that the step they are taking in response is totally appropriate,” Halperin said in a statement. “Again, I want to offer a heartfelt and profound apology to the President, to my MSNBC colleagues, and to the viewers. My remark was unacceptable, and I deeply regret it.”

An indefinite suspension for saying “dick” on the air?  Oh, please.  Halperin won’t have to go dig ditches — he works for Time, not MSNBC — but this is still far, far overblown.  It was a dumb remark, but if MSNBC suspended everyone who made dumb remarks on their channel, they wouldn’t have any hosts left. At most, this warranted a couple of days off the air, especially with Halperin’s real-time apology.

Did MSNBC get mad because of the word, or because it was aimed at Obama?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 5

Mark Halperin(being held upside down off the side of a building by David Axelrod): “All right, all right, I apologize. I’m really really sorry. I apologize unreservedly. I do. I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.”

Doughboy on June 30, 2011 at 8:47 AM

Speak truth to power or something.

JammieWearingFool on June 30, 2011 at 8:48 AM

Classic Post Capt. Ed!..I’m still laughing!..:)

Dire Straits on June 30, 2011 at 8:48 AM

It’s also a playground word for “jerk” or “penis,” but hardly an obscenity.

Say what?

Mr. Bingley on June 30, 2011 at 8:48 AM

That’s the most honest thing I’ve ever heard on MSNBC.

Scott P on June 30, 2011 at 8:48 AM

But he was right, Obama is a tool.

null on June 30, 2011 at 8:48 AM

Oh for heaven’s sake, Mr. Halperin, you spoke the truth. Obama was in rare form yesterday, a complete little Weiner.

Fallon on June 30, 2011 at 8:49 AM

He ain’t lying

Don’t keep apologizing halpy…its ok to speak the truth

cmsinaz on June 30, 2011 at 8:49 AM

You know how un-hinged they are now? This much: Mika just compared Sarah Palin to Paris Hilton. That’s how un-hinged they are now.

Joe: “Paris Hilton? Palin is one of two women who have been on the Presidential ticket.”

Angry Mika: “I mean the media attention she gets! Like Paris Hilton!”

Marcus on June 30, 2011 at 8:50 AM

it’s a proper name used by a number of politicians, including Dick Durbin

Oh the irony!..ROFL!!..:)

Dire Straits on June 30, 2011 at 8:50 AM

Obama was being a Chitown politician in blaming others for his inadequacies, being unable to be open about his actions and trying to hide lawlessness.

‘Dick’ doesn’t even begin to cover it.

ajacksonian on June 30, 2011 at 8:50 AM

I coughed up my coffee when I heard it live.

The most truth that has been spoken on that show in a while.

neoavatara on June 30, 2011 at 8:50 AM

That’s funny, I always thought he was a p@ssy!

Tony737 on June 30, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Great apology scene from Tin Men. A classic movie, and terribly underrated.

Scott P on June 30, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Marcus on June 30, 2011 at 8:50 AM

I thought Matt Lewis did a good job of defending Palin..:)

Dire Straits on June 30, 2011 at 8:51 AM

thanks to a producer who couldn’t operate the seven-second delay

So MSNBC’s behind the scenes personnel are just as qualified as the on air talent.

Tommy_G on June 30, 2011 at 8:51 AM

DICK! sounds right to me…

winston on June 30, 2011 at 8:51 AM

You can say it that way or you could bloviate for 15 minutes going into the details to show Obama real was (and is) a dick. Mark was just saving us a lot of time.

michaelo on June 30, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Weiner would have been worse.

txag92 on June 30, 2011 at 8:53 AM

I would have used the distaff equivalent.

Akzed on June 30, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Mika’s a… What’s worse than being called a “Durbin” on cable television?

Fallon on June 30, 2011 at 8:53 AM

… the first rule in broadcasting is this — always assume the microphones are hot and that you’re going live.

That goes for airline pilots too! haha

Tony737 on June 30, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Tingles will not be happy with halpy today

Heh

cmsinaz on June 30, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Dicks everywhere are upset over being compared to Dear Liar. As are @ssholes and scumbags.

Petulant, man-child, narcissistic fascists however, still have starry eyes.

rbj on June 30, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Dick isn’t the word I would have used, but then again I’m a construction worker.. Obama couldn’t even get the age of his daughter correct. This man has a room temperature I.Q. and a real evil streak that he can’t contain. No wonder the Liberals have spent millions hiding his transcripts.

Keemo on June 30, 2011 at 8:54 AM

MSLSD must really be hurting for technical competence if the “producer” can’t find that really big button that says DUMP on the audio delay system whether needed or not.

viking01 on June 30, 2011 at 8:54 AM

You would think his work on Game Change might have uncovered what he is just now discovering.

rob verdi on June 30, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Seems as if the msm might be seeing O for what he is, or maybe they have all along. Can it be that the Won is running out of supporters?

Kissmygrits on June 30, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Halperin is on that show all the time. Will he now be banned-for-life? Liberals are not very forgiving.

Naturally Curly on June 30, 2011 at 8:55 AM

Dick doesn’t even begin to cover it. But, hey, now we know “dick” is a racist term too.

Huckabye-Romney on June 30, 2011 at 8:55 AM

Mark, we know.

katy the mean old lady on June 30, 2011 at 8:56 AM

I’m missed that DS..glad he did

cmsinaz on June 30, 2011 at 8:56 AM

Bwahaha. First he tells the truth, then he puts on the blue dress and knee pads. “please still love me, Obama.”

Southernblogger on June 30, 2011 at 8:57 AM

That is truly funny. His own bootlickers see him for what he is.

MJZZZ on June 30, 2011 at 8:57 AM

Angry Mika: “I mean the media attention she gets! Like Paris Hilton!”

Marcus on June 30, 2011 at 8:50 AM

The Paris Hilton comparison is not new. Lots of libs have gone there. My favorite though was Bill Press on MSDNC last year calling Palin the “new Anita Bryant”. As if 99.9% of the population even knows who that is(I only know because of Leslie Nielsen’s reference to her in Airplane!, a 31 year-old movie). Not to mention the comparison makes absolutely no sense. Palin is the same as a pop singer who hates gays?

Doughboy on June 30, 2011 at 8:57 AM

Naturally Curly on June 30, 2011 at 8:55 AM

No..He will get a one week suspension like the sleaze ball Ed Schultz!..:)

Dire Straits on June 30, 2011 at 8:57 AM

Great synopsis. Still, I’m loving the fact that a truly honest moment (albeit understated) was captured on tape. I’ve been listening to more of the presser this morning and I guess I should be immune to the President’s condescension, but it always shocks me. Major league, unparalleled, breathtaking, revolting dickishness.

Bee on June 30, 2011 at 8:58 AM

Tommy_G on June 30, 2011 at 8:51 AM

They were bought out by Comcast.

I will attest that Comcast has had good technical personnel, but the moment you get past the front line technicians you face an abyss of ignorance and disingenuous stupidity. That is now going to be the ‘producer’ level at MSLSD.

ajacksonian on June 30, 2011 at 8:58 AM

Naturally Curly on June 30, 2011 at 8:55 AM

Prediction: a one, two week “suspension” (i.e., vacation)
If it was Glenn Beck who uttered it on Fox News, MSNBC in it’s entirety would be apoplectic.

Marcus on June 30, 2011 at 8:58 AM

I’m missed that DS..glad he did

cmsinaz on June 30, 2011 at 8:56 AM

He did well in the lion’s den..:)

Dire Straits on June 30, 2011 at 8:59 AM

Bee on June 30, 2011 at 8:58 AM

Excellent post!..:)

Dire Straits on June 30, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Cheney hardest hit.

Shy Guy on June 30, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Liberals are not very forgiving.

Naturally Curly on June 30, 2011 at 8:55 AM

If Halperin is in favor of raising taxes, he can call Obama whatever he wants, as long as he begs forgiveness afterwards.

pedestrian on June 30, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Angry Mika: “I mean the media attention she gets! Like Paris Hilton!”

Marcus on June 30, 2011 at 8:50 AM

Jealousy is a powerful motivator…poor mika.

tinkerthinker on June 30, 2011 at 9:01 AM

The national frustration is building. “You lie!” was just the first drop over the dam. “Dick” is mildy put, I would have gone with ‘insufferable douchebag’.

bloviator on June 30, 2011 at 9:01 AM

Can you imagine something like this happening on Hardball?

I think we would see Tingle’s Matthews’ head literally explode live on camera! Not saying this would be a bad thing, of course.

pilamaye on June 30, 2011 at 9:01 AM

michaelo on June 30, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Why not? And use the extra time to apologize.

cartooner on June 30, 2011 at 9:01 AM

great use of the Fast Times clip, Ed.

ted c on June 30, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Mark Halperin needs to resign from MSNBC and Time after this. That was just disgraceful. I am OUTRAGED. OUTRAGED!

Punchenko on June 30, 2011 at 9:03 AM

OH, Mr. Hand.

juanito on June 30, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Halperin likes to think about Obamnure’s dick, it’s just a requirement on MSLSD.

Western_Civ on June 30, 2011 at 9:03 AM

including Dick Durbin, who’s second in Democratic leadership in the Senate.

You know, the same Dick Durbin who thinks an illegal could be a future president.

KingGold on June 30, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Hey Obama, DBAD!

pilamaye on June 30, 2011 at 9:04 AM

The New Msnbc lefty spin will be—”He was being a dick to the GOP, it was gutsy!” I am only half joking.

rob verdi on June 30, 2011 at 9:05 AM

No biggie. Glad he’s finally figured Obama out.

If they had any sense of honor or pride, the numerous members of the media, including Halperin, Brooks and Krauthamster, who in 08 assurred the nation that Obama was temperamentally well suited to the job, and since have discovered that the opposite is the case, would issue a public apology and then resign.

But as Thomas Sowell has pointed out, “public intellectuals” are never held to account for the horrendous damage they have done. And so they keep on working their destructive magic.

james23 on June 30, 2011 at 9:05 AM

great use of the Fast Times clip, Ed.

ted c on June 30, 2011 at 9:03 AM

+100..That was a classic movie!..:)

Dire Straits on June 30, 2011 at 9:08 AM

Willie Geist used to be quite funny when he appeared with Tucker Carlson. Now he just sits like a statue and parrots their crap. Times are tough, a pay-check is a pay-check.

Marcus on June 30, 2011 at 9:08 AM

Punchenko on June 30, 2011 at 9:03 AM

heh

RepubChica on June 30, 2011 at 9:08 AM

I’m really growing tired of people apologizing for speaking their mind.

Enough with the apologies already. Be a man and stand by your convictions.

jjrakman on June 30, 2011 at 9:08 AM

Email from Valerie in 5…4…3

cmsinaz on June 30, 2011 at 9:09 AM

I think we’re missing the big picture here. The issue isn’t whether Obama is a “dick” or not. That’s an issue for another thread. The real issue is that Obama is petty, spiteful and vindictive person. What is he going to wind up doing to MSNBC and this Mark Haleperin fellow in retaliation? An offense like this cannot go unpunished.

Tommy_G on June 30, 2011 at 9:10 AM

I hate Sean Penn…but love me some Spicoli!

search4truth on June 30, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Lame apology.

“I, uh, um, I was, um, I apologize, I was just um …”

Yeah you ARE sorry.

And sorry you got caught!.

Tony737 on June 30, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Oh, please. Someone get MSNBC their fainting salts. Do these people realize how much they mimic Soviet society every day? Their fear, their absolute fear, of the Obama regime is stunning.

Rational Thought on June 30, 2011 at 9:11 AM

A dick (lower case) Isn’t that part of a man?That leaves out any reasonable attributes or characteristic of the one it was aimed at.

Now a “stinky breathe” dick, at least offers some Michelle credibility to it.

Don L on June 30, 2011 at 9:11 AM

+100..That was a classic movie!..:) – Dire

And a true story too. I read the book. This is one of those rare cases where the movie is better than the book. In the real story, it was Mike Damone who ordered the pizza in class, not Spicoli.

Tony737 on June 30, 2011 at 9:12 AM

FoxNews is covering that Anthony trial LIVE now, and it’s not even the VERDICT?

Will have to wake-up early tomorrow to catch the opening of Morning Joe at 5. Scarborough is such an ass with his “Oh, this show is so much above this! We’re not Fox News after all!” attitude.

Marcus on June 30, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Can you put an entire network in cement shoes?
This is indeed a challenge-even for a Chicago street organizer. Unless, he first identifies it as a shovel-ready job.

Don L on June 30, 2011 at 9:13 AM

“I thought he was a dick yesterday,”

Truth is truth….
Can’t have an opinion about truth.

mechkiller_k on June 30, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Working Title for Mark Halperin’s new book = “Name Change”

bobnox on June 30, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Lame apology.

“I, uh, um, I was, um, I apologize, I was just um …”

Yeah you ARE sorry.

And sorry you got caught!.

Tony737 on June 30, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Did it ever occur to you that perhaps the teleprompter was not working when he was apologizing?

Well? Huh? Huh?

Shy Guy on June 30, 2011 at 9:15 AM

Thankfully this happened on MSNBC where nobody saw it.

fusionaddict on June 30, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Angry Mika: “I mean the media attention she gets! Like Paris Hilton!”

Marcus on June 30, 2011 at 8:50 AM

Jealousy is a powerful motivator…poor mika.

tinkerthinker on June 30, 2011 at 9:01 AM

What do we expect from Zbieniew Carter’s daughter?

Don L on June 30, 2011 at 9:17 AM

fusionaddict on June 30, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Other blogs are starting to pick it up..It has potential to go viral!..:)

Dire Straits on June 30, 2011 at 9:18 AM

If they were asking me to apologize I’d say I meant to say pr*ck.

viking01 on June 30, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Ironically, this makes Halperin less of a dick than he was yesterday.

Mark1971 on June 30, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Tony737 on June 30, 2011 at 9:12 AM

Thanks..You sure taught me something..I never knew it was a book first..:)

Dire Straits on June 30, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Thankfully this happened on MSNBC where nobody saw it.

fusionaddict on June 30, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Ah, but it is also on HotAir, Drudge and Politico. This will not end well for Halperin. What a shame.

Naturally Curly on June 30, 2011 at 9:20 AM

LMAO Wish I could have seen this live!

CantCureStupid on June 30, 2011 at 9:20 AM

See you there Marcus

cmsinaz on June 30, 2011 at 9:21 AM

Øbama blamed corporate jets? What happened to the automatic teller machines?

Perfect.

petefrt on June 30, 2011 at 9:24 AM

I did see it live. Halperin and Scarboro planned this in advance. Before he said it they were talking about the 7-second delay being operational. What a couple of dicks.

Naturally Curly on June 30, 2011 at 9:25 AM

Lovin me some double standard. It’s apparently ok to call Bush a murderer, Palin a whore, Bachman a flake, and American citizens teabaggers, but THIS is not ok?

noworldcitizen on June 30, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Naturally Curly on June 30, 2011 at 9:20 AM

Phuk Halperin, he deserves everything they do to him.
Were he honest all of the time I might feel differently.

darwin-t on June 30, 2011 at 9:27 AM

I think this calls for an “Everybody Draw Obama Day”.

eyesky on June 30, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Time for a Chris Wallace interview?

CW: “Are you a dick?”

BO: “People have got to know whether or not their president’s a dick…I am not a dick.”

Barnestormer on June 30, 2011 at 9:28 AM

..o.k., Halprin was wrong. He meant Dick Head.

The War Planner on June 30, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Phuk Halperin, he deserves everything they do to him.
Were he honest all of the time I might feel differently.

darwin-t on June 30, 2011 at 9:27 AM

I was being sarcastic, guess I should have used a tag. I will shed no tears over Mark Halperin’s fate at the hands of the hate-filled loony left.

Naturally Curly on June 30, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Halperin calls Obama a dick:

Cheney hardest hit.

Shy Guy on June 30, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Now that there’s funny!

Subsunk

Subsunk on June 30, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Considering that Halperin is a mindlessly, relentlessly partisan liberal Democrat propagandist, this is quite remarkable.

I had been asking myself what self-respecting Democrat or liberal could defend Obama’s speech, given how startlingly juvenile, inarticulate, ignorant, and disingenuous he was. And apparently the answer is — almost no one.

Jaibones on June 30, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Ha, just bothered to read how Politico reported it. If Morning Joe is “popular” then a super-sweeper infomercial must be “wildly popular”.

Marcus on June 30, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Broken.Clock.

CaveatEmpty on June 30, 2011 at 9:34 AM

Jaibones on June 30, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Excellent point!..:)

Dire Straits on June 30, 2011 at 9:34 AM

No no. I meant like “private eye.”

TexasDan on June 30, 2011 at 9:35 AM

“I’m sorry I called the dick a dick. If I had stopped to think about it, in the spirit of honesty I would have, instead, called him a total dick.”

Yoop on June 30, 2011 at 9:35 AM

“Halperin acted stupidly.”
Dick Obama

Khun Joe on June 30, 2011 at 9:39 AM

This proves it: Halperin is a Raaaaacist!

Queen0fCups on June 30, 2011 at 9:41 AM

If Halperin’s comment becomes widely known, the media will have to spin that ‘dick’ means a good thing- a strong leader or something.

justltl on June 30, 2011 at 9:41 AM

He was more of a Weiner.

Hello? Is this thing on?