Coburn lights into Obama, calls for real leadership

posted at 8:15 pm on June 30, 2011 by Tina Korbe

In a harsh and cogent criticism of President Barack Obama’s Wednesday press conference and the president’s general lack of action to address the nation’s debt and deficit, Oklahoma Sen. Tom Coburn (R) today just flat-out nailed it.

“The leader of our country is the president and he sets the tone and when he’s been inattentive and not in the game until this last week, I don’t think he can throw any darts at anybody else given his travel plans and his campaigning,” Coburn said in an interview on The Laura Ingraham Show.

Coburn’s characterization of the president made it clear just what a great Campaigner-in-Chief BHO really is.

“It’s about his next election. You know, all this is about is, this is a political campaign he’s in, rather than a policy campaign for what is best for our country right now,” the senator said. “I think he has traveled more than any other president, been out of the country more than any other president, in the same period of time, utilized his plane more, done more campaigning at this stage than probably anybody else, and yet we’ve accomplished very little towards solving the very real problems that are in front of us. They’re urgent problems.”

A few other notable quotes from the Coburn interview today:

@1:42 – “He should have been negotiating with these people for the last four or five months, rather than create a sense of somebody’s negotiating, and moving the ball every time somebody gets close. I think it is all about the 2012 election and not anything about our problems.”

@4:37 – “I think if you want to work a deal the last thing you do is keep putting your finger in [Republicans'] eye[s] publically and then go try to work a deal. What he needs to do is calm down his rhetoric, and roll up his sleeves, call in McConnell and Boehner and Reid, and say ‘Ok, guys, let’s stay here until we get something worked [out].’”

@8:04 – “The best way for this president to get reelected in my mind is talk to the American people, be truthful with them, don’t be partisan, say here are the things we are going to do, I’m going to go roll up my sleeves and work to get this done. He’d be a hero if he actually got it done.”

@10:40 – “What we need is real leadership to stand up and say we understand we have to live within our means, we’re going to make the difficult choices. We are going to ask everyone to share in that, including corporate America, everyone is going to share in that, and that’s so we can create prosperity in the future.”

Really, the entire thing is worth a listen:

What resonates most deeply with me is the way in which Coburn’s comments reflect a genuine concern for the country, rather than any kind of personal animosity toward the president. Can’t help but be proud of my home state senator — especially as, while the president delivers little at very publicized press conferences, Coburn continues to quietly propose bipartisan solutions, like his recent rollout of a plan to reform Medicare — a plan cosponsored by Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.).

Comments

Overall I like what he had to say except for:

we can create prosperity in the future.”

CW on June 30, 2011 at 8:18 PM

=========================================================

About,

F*****G /”$%?&*()_+)(*&?%$%?&*()_(*&?%$/%?&*()*&?%$/%?&*(
/$%?&*()_+)(*&?%$%?&*()_+(*&?%$/%?&*()_(*&?%,

time!(snark)

canopfor on June 30, 2011 at 8:20 PM

I can’t believe but I think prefer Allah to this new writer. She’s too boring, more boring than Ed.

promachus on June 30, 2011 at 8:20 PM

We won’t ever have true prosperity in this country until everybody in government stops promising prosperity. Only the people can do that. Get out of our way.

trigon on June 30, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Nice job Coburn. I hope this is the start of taking teh gloves off.

darwin on June 30, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Interesting b/c Sen. Coburn and Sen. Obama were known to be relatively close friends. (to the extent that anyone can get close to The Dick)

aquaviva on June 30, 2011 at 8:23 PM

promachus on June 30, 2011 at 8:20 PM

More exclamation points?

trigon on June 30, 2011 at 8:24 PM

Coburn could have saved much breath if he had only summed up Barry’s speech as Mark Halperin did.

farright on June 30, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Barry was acting like a pick in yesterday’s press conference.

bayview on June 30, 2011 at 8:25 PM

body blow you-know-what punch

Christien on June 30, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Yes, Tina you should be proud of Senator Coburn, he’s a good man but he’s clearly a raaaaaaaacist in this interview.

Knucklehead on June 30, 2011 at 8:25 PM

promachus on June 30, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Your obnoxious and rude. No class whatsoever.

aquaviva on June 30, 2011 at 8:29 PM

promachus on June 30, 2011 at 8:20 PM
More exclamation points?

trigon on June 30, 2011 at 8:24 PM

Hahahahahahaha or LOL.
Promachus translates as “dick”.

Vince on June 30, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Hopey/Changey…Demonizing/Demagoguey/Rhetric OverLoad
NeverEnding Political WarFare waging against the Right in

an unrelenting/Spinning Talking Points ForEver as the
eyes can see,Ad Nausem in a PerPetual Progressive Circle!
===============

canopfor on June 30, 2011 at 8:31 PM

een inattentive and not in the game until this last week

Oh he’s been in the game alright. It’s just that his play has sucked.

Tommy_G on June 30, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Well he’s obviously a racist homophobe who wants to kill your grandma and who hates children.

BacaDog on June 30, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Hahahahahahaha or LOL.
Promachus translates as “dick” “dickless”.

Vince on June 30, 2011 at 8:31 PM

FIFY

Knucklehead on June 30, 2011 at 8:33 PM

promachus on June 30, 2011 at 8:20 PM

promachus:I don`t mean to sound picky,but,commas,can be your
friend!

And,Tina has her own style,which I like,as it,
brings different demensions to H/A!

canopfor on June 30, 2011 at 8:34 PM

“What resonates most deeply with me is the way in which Coburn’s comments reflect a genuine concern for the country, rather than any kind of personal animosity toward the president.”
The problem, however, with Coburn’s comments is that it includes a suggestion about how Obama could be re-elected, which is not consistent with a “genuine concern for the country.” In fact, what a tragedy it would be for the debt-ceiling issue to be concluded in some manner that Obama would falsely claim demonstrate some skills, like his false claims regarding the seals’ killing Osama. While solving the debt ceiling problem by reducing spending is important, ensuring that Obama does not get re-elected is the last best hope for our once-great country.

GaltBlvnAtty on June 30, 2011 at 8:35 PM

body blow you-know-what punch

Christien on June 30, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Christien:Where the sun doesn`t shine,ahem!(sarc):)

canopfor on June 30, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Your obnoxious and rude. No class whatsoever.

aquaviva on June 30, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Obnoxious and rude? I think that would be a step up.

TxAnn56 on June 30, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Riiiiing. Rinnnnngg.

“hello.”

“is this Mrs. Coburn? Senator Coburn’s mom?”

“yes it is. Who’s this?”

“This is Jay Carney. Tell your son to STFU.”

BacaDog on June 30, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Ya know,if a tempo,of unrelentless attacks,sh*t,sorry,
criticisms,I mean,of Hopey,

he will,start to be unglued,in which,Changey,will
utter more stupid Rhetoric!!

canopfor on June 30, 2011 at 8:40 PM

promachus on June 30, 2011 at 8:20 PM

You should toddle off and start your own damn blog.

katy the mean old lady on June 30, 2011 at 8:50 PM

utilized his plane more

Now that’s a corporate jet I’d like to see taxed more. At least, the current occupant….

nukemhill on June 30, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Promachus of Macedon was a common soldier in Alexander’s army who drank himself to death.

SlaveDog on June 30, 2011 at 8:57 PM

me likey coburn

cmsinaz on June 30, 2011 at 9:07 PM

I like Tina, a fresh intellect in the curmudgeon world of HA.

I am not a racist on June 30, 2011 at 9:07 PM

an unrelenting/Spinning Talking Points ForEver as the
eyes can see,Ad Nausem in a PerPetual Progressive CircleJerk!
===============

canopfor on June 30, 2011 at 8:31 PM

You’re welcome!

hillbillyjim on June 30, 2011 at 9:08 PM

I like Tina, a fresh intellect in the curmudgeon world of HA.
I am not a racist on June 30, 2011 at 9:07 PM

GaltBlvnAtty on June 30, 2011 at 9:12 PM

an unrelenting/Spinning Talking Points ForEver as the
eyes can see,Ad Nausem in a PerPetual Progressive CircleJerk!
===============

canopfor on June 30, 2011 at 8:31 PM
You’re welcome!

hillbillyjim on June 30, 2011 at 9:08 PM

hillbillyjim:Lol,hey,I was contemplating in using the bottom
half,hehe—————-you are baaaaaaaad!:)

canopfor on June 30, 2011 at 9:20 PM

“We are going to ask everyone to share in that, including corporate America, everyone is going to share in that, and that’s so we can create prosperity in the future.”

Corporate is not helping? Funny that, but I would imagine a large part of the prospering we are doing is off corporate backs right now.

astonerii on June 30, 2011 at 9:28 PM

Sorry but when the chips are down…..Coburn is a McCain Republican.

And I personally find him to be a Conservative/Progressive. He is one of those “Senate is a club” Republicans.

Name one piece of Legislation that he’s gotten done in the House or Senate.

PappyD61 on June 30, 2011 at 9:28 PM

canopfor on June 30, 2011 at 8:40 PM

you maybe right…

he’ll go ballistic in his thin skin

cmsinaz on June 30, 2011 at 9:29 PM

BREAKING: Dems won’t sign budget deal unless corporate jet ban is included; Boehner knocks Reid out of chair; Balanced Budget Amendment agreedment reached

BobMbx on June 30, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Corburn needed to be even more forthright. The country is broke, indebted far into the future. The president and his party have to recognize economic realities if America is ever to recover. Playing class warfare games to redistribute income while not expecting every citizen to pay his share is not healthy for any nation.

onlineanalyst on June 30, 2011 at 9:31 PM

given his travel plans and his campaigning

Heh, he left out golfing.

Sen. Coburn, don’t give the Power Thug ideas on how to get reelected, please.

Schadenfreude on June 30, 2011 at 9:31 PM

SlaveDog on June 30, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Promachus is the genus also known as the Robber Fly.

Yoop on June 30, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Coburn is dreaming.

AshleyTKing on June 30, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Sorry but when the chips are down…..Coburn is a McCain Republican.

Name one piece of Legislation that he’s gotten done in the House or Senate.

PappyD61 on June 30, 2011 at 9:28 PM

I am inclined to agree with you. Coburn is more interested in collegiality (or at least more vocal about it) than he is in pinpointing where the president and the Dems are bankrupting the nation with their social-justice manipulations and their insincerity in trimming fat.

onlineanalyst on June 30, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Name one piece of Legislation that he’s gotten done in the House or Senate.

PappyD61 on June 30, 2011 at 9:28 PM

He objected to the Bridge to Nowhere, and nearly caused former Senator Stevens to have a stroke on the Senate floor.

That worth something, eh?

BobMbx on June 30, 2011 at 9:40 PM

It’s hardly surprising that all Barack Obama is interested in is campaigning. It’s the ONLY thing he knows how to do.

Murf76 on June 30, 2011 at 9:55 PM

canopfor on June 30, 2011 at 8:40 PM
you maybe right…

he’ll go ballistic in his thin skin

cmsinaz on June 30, 2011 at 9:29 PM

cmsinaz:Yup,especially if the MSM becomes Patriotic again!:)

canopfor on June 30, 2011 at 10:07 PM

canopfor on June 30, 2011 at 10:07 PM

indeed :)

cmsinaz on June 30, 2011 at 10:17 PM

cmsinaz:Yup,especially if the MSM becomes Patriotic again!:)

canopfor on June 30, 2011 at 10:07 PM

They will become patriotic again like Romney endorses, after the fact!

bluemarlin on June 30, 2011 at 10:21 PM

In summary, what we need is leadership from the top. And we’re never going to get it from that hack politician currently sitting in the White House.

He talks a good game……and that’s all he’s ever done.

The current crop of GOP candidates need to take the freaking kid gloves off and start nailing the worthless piece of shit every damned day with specific incidents of his continuing failure to lead. Let the facts speak for themselves.

In other words, MAKE Barry run on his record of “accomplishments”.

GarandFan on July 1, 2011 at 12:41 AM

lights into

Not to be picky, but isn’t this a weak (my grandmother’s) choice of words?

Why not something real strong and Rohmney-ish, say like “shows displeasure with” or McCain tough like “takes issue with” or the real showstopping cliche, “frowns upon.”

How far we come in a day -from calling him a “dick” to “…lights into…”

Sorry Tina – just having fun.

Don L on July 1, 2011 at 5:41 AM

promachus on June 30, 2011 at 8:20 PM

She’s just a kid. Give her a chance to grow up a little and toughen that hide. This is the place to do it.

Extrafishy on July 1, 2011 at 6:40 AM

promachus on June 30, 2011 at 8:20 PM

promachus:I don`t mean to sound picky,but,commas,can be your
friend!

canopfor

Or enemy

E9RET on July 1, 2011 at 6:47 AM

promachus on June 30, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Agreed. Being here on HA with some of the damn funniest and sarcastic commenters around, will rub off on her.

4Freedom on July 1, 2011 at 7:07 AM

promachus on June 30, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Pretty tough standard you are using, pro. Allah is one of the best writers in the blogosphere…give the kid a little time, huh?

Jaibones on July 1, 2011 at 8:38 AM

Zero is incapable of doing ANY of the things the Senator suggested he do.

Mr. Grump on July 1, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Coburn is a personal friend of the President (or at least he was before Obama became President). At a town hall I attended a couple of years ago, Coburn got booed once, when he tried to tell us what a good friend Obama was. We need to get all Repubs to put away social friendships as they put away socialist “social justice”!

Christian Conservative on July 1, 2011 at 11:19 AM

<blockquoteHeh, he left out golfing.

……

Schadenfreude

Maybe Coburn believes including it would be unfair to golf.

BD57 on July 2, 2011 at 11:39 AM