Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on June 29, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

While traveling out of the country last week, I pondered whether to add the Win A Date With Tad Hamilton President Obama $5 fundraiser to the list of OOTDs.  The problem wasn’t so much that of the principle, as politicians offer dinners as fundraising opportunities all the time.  Turning it into a raffle for a finster is a rather new wrinkle for the Leader of the Free World, though, but in the end other events arose.

And that turned out to be a wise decision, because later on, the White House cinched this as an OOTD entry by offering a two-for-one sale:

I just got an unexpected update about the “Dinner with Barack” contest we kicked off last week that I think you’ll want to hear.

The President wanted to tell you the news himself, so he recorded a short video with the new details.

I can’t tell you anything more than that — but let’s just say if you haven’t yet thrown your name in the hat for this thing, I have a feeling this announcement might change that.

So this isn’t so much “Dinner with Barack” anymore, as it is “Dinner with Barack and Joe.”

Am I to understand that sales are going so badly for the Obama dinner that the White House had to throw Joe Biden in as a deal-sweetener? Actually, I don’t mind putting Obama and Biden up for clearance. Let’s just price them to move.

Comments

Heh.

I actually have a friend who admitted to ‘donating’ to this raffle…

ladyingray on June 29, 2011 at 8:08 AM

I love getting these emails begging for $5. I guess Obama’s “little people” supporters are too busy forming mobs and ransacking businesses to bid on dinner with Barack.

ctmom on June 29, 2011 at 8:08 AM

This is so embarassing

gophergirl on June 29, 2011 at 8:09 AM

but wait there’s more!

heh

the new ronco ad

cmsinaz on June 29, 2011 at 8:09 AM

What will the desperation look like a year from now?

tim c on June 29, 2011 at 8:10 AM

If the Republicans can’t turn this into a campaign commercial, then I don’t know what. Intermix it with photos of the lawless gangs running into stores for looting: it seems to be the craze these days. Those scamps.

Marcus on June 29, 2011 at 8:10 AM

No wonder he had his crew go after Ronald McDonald. Too much competition for meal deal $.

Limerick on June 29, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Of course they added Biden…clowns make everything more fun!

Kevin71 on June 29, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Odamna and “Plugs” Biden at dinner…???

Now, that’s a crap sandwich!

No thanks.

Crusader Rabbit on June 29, 2011 at 8:11 AM

As they say, desperation is not an aphrodysiac.

NeighborhoodCatLady on June 29, 2011 at 8:12 AM

I wouldn’t give you two cents for ‘im.

kingsjester on June 29, 2011 at 8:12 AM

Please please let Laura Ingrahm win pretty please

ldbgcoleman on June 29, 2011 at 8:13 AM

I’m not seeing this as a Bye Bye Birdie remake…

apostic on June 29, 2011 at 8:13 AM

They are overstocked…

tinkerthinker on June 29, 2011 at 8:15 AM

A raffle?? He should go full Catholic and have bingo night on the White House lawn.

SKYFOX on June 29, 2011 at 8:15 AM

I’m waiting for them to add Pelosi … then I’m in.

darwin on June 29, 2011 at 8:15 AM

First prize: dinner with Obama.

Second prize: dinner with Obama and Biden.

Third prize: dinner with Obama and Biden in Cleveland.

Purple Fury on June 29, 2011 at 8:17 AM

Kiss the President!! Only $1 !!

exhelodrvr on June 29, 2011 at 8:19 AM

What would the converstion be like at dinner?

Obama: Do you like how I’m skyrocketing energy prices, killing oil companies and coal plants?

Winner: Yes, it’s fantastic! I love paying higher prices and experiencing brown outs!

darwin on June 29, 2011 at 8:19 AM

How about Obama in the dunk tank for $10. I’d be on that like white on rice!

search4truth on June 29, 2011 at 8:20 AM

The President of the United States should not be doing this. This is embarrassing.

That being said, I guess I shouldn’t be surprised at this point. Barack Obama is “The Party President,” after all.

Fore!

visions on June 29, 2011 at 8:21 AM

crass…

I think Joe’s a deal killer.

golfmann on June 29, 2011 at 8:22 AM

If Biden falls asleep during dinner would $2.50 be refunded?

visions on June 29, 2011 at 8:23 AM

With two, you get eggroll.

Shy Guy on June 29, 2011 at 8:23 AM

Kiss the President!! Only $1 !!

exhelodrvr on June 29, 2011 at 8:19 AM

Actually, dunking and pie throwing would amass a fortune for his campaign.

Shy Guy on June 29, 2011 at 8:25 AM

We ought to rig this so that Mark Levin ends up winning.

Then we sit back and wait for the Official White House Cancellation Due To Unforeseen Circumstances And Other BS announcement.

pilamaye on June 29, 2011 at 8:26 AM

Just a reminder you don’t have to send them a dime to enter and here is the link to the free sign up.

JeffinSac on June 29, 2011 at 8:28 AM

Next:

Share a bong with Barack!

For only $10 you can purchase a chance to get high with the president and develop US-Israeli national policy!

Buy a chance today!

darwin on June 29, 2011 at 8:28 AM

crass…

I think Joe’s a deal killer.

golfmann on June 29, 2011 at 8:22 AM

No, Joe would be a deal cincher for me — as long as it also includes Jonah Goldberg.

apostic on June 29, 2011 at 8:31 AM

Oxygen, please!! I can’t stop laughing!!

mr.blacksheep on June 29, 2011 at 8:33 AM

Please please let Laura Ingrahm win pretty please

ldbgcoleman on June 29, 2011 at 8:13 AM

And Rush and Michelle Malkin and Mark Levin!

You guys are hilarious!!!

Key West Reader on June 29, 2011 at 8:36 AM

Barack Obama: America’s Loss Leader

Fallen Sparrow on June 29, 2011 at 8:40 AM

Attention, Wal-Mart Customers…….Campaign clean-up in isle seven.

Rovin on June 29, 2011 at 8:42 AM

How about Obama in the dunk tank for $10. I’d be on that like white on rice!

search4truth on June 29, 2011 at 8:20 AM

I’m all for it, but only if you put sharks in the tank with fricken laser beams on their heads.

SKYFOX on June 29, 2011 at 8:44 AM

We ought to rig this so that Mark Levin ends up winning.

pilamaye on June 29, 2011 at 8:26 AM

Is there anything about this regime that makes you believe they won’t rig the outcome?

SKYFOX on June 29, 2011 at 8:46 AM

JeffinSac on June 29, 2011 at 8:28 AM

From the “Official Rules”:

NO PURCHASE, PAYMENT, OR FINANCIAL CONTRIBUTION OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN THIS PROMOTION.
1. Eligibility. PURCHASE, PAYMENT OR FINANCIAL CONTRIBUTION WILL NOT INCREASE ODDS OF WINNING. PROMOTION VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. PROMOTION OPEN ONLY TO INDIVIDUAL UNITED STATES CITIZENS AND LAWFUL PERMANENT U.S. RESIDENTS WHO ARE LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE FIFTY (50) UNITED STATES AND DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA AND OVER THE AGE OF 18 (OR THE AGE OF MAJORITY UNDER APPLICABLE LAW). BUSINESSES, CORPORATIONS, REGISTERED FEDERAL LOBBYISTS, REGISTERED FOREIGN AGENTS, FEDERAL POLITICAL ACTION COMMITTEES, NATIONAL BANKS, FEDERAL CONTRACTORS, LABOR ORGANIZATIONS OR OTHER ENTITIES ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO ENTER OR WIN A PRIZE, NOR MAY ANY INDIVIDUAL ENTER ON BEHALF OF ANY SUCH ENTITIES. IF YOU DO NOT MEET ANY OF THESE REQUIREMENTS, OR ANY OTHER ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS IN THESE OFFICIAL RULES, YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO WIN A PRIZE, AND OBAMA FOR AMERICA (“SPONSOR”) RESERVES THE RIGHT NOT TO AWARD PRIZES TO YOU.

Heh.

Fallon on June 29, 2011 at 8:46 AM

This guy is shallower than a toddler’s swimming pool.

50sGuy on June 29, 2011 at 8:46 AM

Have your picture taken with the a cardboard cutout of President (Yeah, I know- how can you tell the difference?) next to the actual styrofoam Greek columns from his successful campaign!!

exhelodrvr on June 29, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Share a bong with Barack!

Shouldn’t that be “Do lines with Barack?”

crazy_legs on June 29, 2011 at 8:53 AM

I did not think that he could stoop lower than bowing to foreign royalty. This…this…this is just infantile. I’m ashamed. Too bad he isn’t.

ss396 on June 29, 2011 at 8:55 AM

BUYING THE PRESIDENCY……..let’s see how that has worked in the past.

Nelson Rockefeller………you remember him, he was President in…oh, wait uh…..

Steve Forbes……..he ran away with it in….uh, oh yeah that’s right he never made it to the nomination.

Ross Perot, oh he was a great President in the 1990′s he spent tens of millions on the Campaign and after he was sworn in….uh, oh you mean he, oh that’s right he didn’t win.

mmmmm, Puzzling.

PappyD61 on June 29, 2011 at 8:56 AM

….and Mitt Romney, he was a great President in….oh, that’s right I forget. He spent something like $14,000,077 per delegate he won during the GOP primary process and oh yeah, he lost.

PappyD61 on June 29, 2011 at 8:58 AM

“… but you have to act now, because we can’t do this all day.”

Yoop on June 29, 2011 at 8:59 AM

Waiting for the infomercial.For only $19.95+S&H but wait there’s more.

docflash on June 29, 2011 at 9:01 AM

“…PROMOTION OPEN ONLY TO INDIVIDUAL UNITED STATES CITIZENS AND LAWFUL PERMANENT U.S. RESIDENTS WHO ARE LEGAL RESIDENTS…”
Heh.
Fallon on June 29, 2011 at 8:46 AM

That’s hilarious! Can we expect violent protests from illegal aliens, er I mean undocumented contestants?

KS Rex on June 29, 2011 at 9:02 AM

I’ll bet Barack and his Merry Band have already selected the “Winner.”

TimBuk3 on June 29, 2011 at 9:03 AM

And second prize is two dinners with Barack and Joe.

Akzed on June 29, 2011 at 9:11 AM

The guy is a carnival barker.

csdeven on June 29, 2011 at 9:11 AM

Now he’s the blue light president. Can he drag this once lofty position any lower into the ditch? Yes he can.

Kissmygrits on June 29, 2011 at 9:11 AM

That part I love. You can be sure any winner would be
a) Big Obama supporter
b) Gave Money to Obama
c) Going to get stiffed at the last second By Obama because he’s out golfing

LordDaMan on June 29, 2011 at 9:14 AM

KS Rex on June 29, 2011 at 9:02 AM

…OF THE FIFTY (50) UNITED STATES AND DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA

No one from Puerto Rico or the other 7 states, either.

Fallon on June 29, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Kiss the President!! Only $1 !!

exhelodrvr on June 29, 2011 at 8:19 AM

He can kiss my @$$, and I won’t charge him a nickel for the privilege.

CurtZHP on June 29, 2011 at 9:25 AM

I love this offer, because it is so revealing a statement about Obama’s ego driven view of everything.

The President sees himself first and foremost as a celebrity, and I’ll bet he thinks the offer of a $5 chance at dinner with him, one of the biggest celebrities in the world, will excite an almost viral response. Other celebrities would excite similar responses: Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie? $5 from hundreds of millions of people. Bono and the Edge? $5 from hundreds of thousands. Katy Perry and Russell Brand. Even them, yes, $5 from many people ($10 from me if Russell Brand agrees not to come to dinner).

This is how the President conceives of his role: he is a pop star, and the presidency is but a mere prelude to world worship.

We on the right have for years been absolutely amazed at the narcissism of Barack Obama but this raffle tells anyone who cares to look that we were entirely right- the president is almost crazy with self-regard.

MTF on June 29, 2011 at 9:25 AM

(approximate combined retail value of all prizes $1,075)

That’s some ‘spensive arugula.

Akzed on June 29, 2011 at 9:27 AM

I saw this on Fox News, thought it was a Jimmie Kimmel gag. Seriously. I couldn’t even imagine Clinton doing it.

Marcus on June 29, 2011 at 9:36 AM

the president is almost crazy with self-regard.

MTF on June 29, 2011 at 9:25 AM

Kinda says it all right there.

scalleywag on June 29, 2011 at 9:37 AM

“You’re gonna’ love my nuts!!”

Ris4victory on June 29, 2011 at 9:44 AM

At least it is not golf related…

Khun Joe on June 29, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Booby prize: Dinner with Michelle and granny Robinson.

missouriyankee on June 29, 2011 at 10:11 AM

I’m holding out for a personalized Obama/Biden gaff to go along with the dinner….

/sarc>

landlines on June 29, 2011 at 10:16 AM

What about charging $5 not to have dinner with him?

exhelodrvr on June 29, 2011 at 10:21 AM

I didn’t go to the site. Does it exhibit a number for the permit to hold a raffle?

Yoop on June 29, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Hmmmmm….what is the word for someone who sells a “date” for only $5.00????

landlines on June 29, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Does one get a toy with the meal?

Dhuka on June 29, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Is this also the same reason they filmed it in the White House? I guess Americans are hard-up, Obama. Five dollars is a lot of money when you consider how much you have already taken from us.

RDE2010 on June 29, 2011 at 12:09 PM

What would the converstion be like at dinner?

darwin on June 29, 2011 at 8:19 AM

It’s no joke. I’ve got liberal acquaintances who have told me they WANT gasoline to cost more, and oil and coal companies killed, and all of it.

True believers, they are.

Alana on June 29, 2011 at 1:10 PM

You know, you gotta pay taxes on that 1k prize value.

Alana on June 29, 2011 at 1:14 PM

The Cash for Clunkers Pimp has transitioned into just The Pimp.

Schadenfreude on June 29, 2011 at 1:19 PM

To paraphrase one of my favorite lines from “Ice Age:”

Hey, dinner and a schmoe!

karl9000 on June 29, 2011 at 1:51 PM

I’ll have the duck.

Obama would order Belgian waffles ala king.
Biden might order melon with baby sprouts and melted gruyere.

the_souse on June 29, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner.

I suppose they have to let Joe out of his cage once in awhile, to change the newspapers on the floor and stuff.

Left Coast Right Mind on June 29, 2011 at 3:05 PM

I’ll have the duck.

Obama would order Belgian waffles ala king.
Biden might order melon with baby sprouts and melted gruyere.

the_souse on June 29, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Where do you spend your summers?

slickwillie2001 on June 29, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Okay, RDE2010 brought this up. Was this ad filmed in the White House? If so, shouldn’t there be an investigation into his use of the WH for campaign purposes? I thought it was illegal to campaign in the WH?

GrannySunni on June 29, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Silly me, I should have read more before posting my question. I found this answer in the headlines.

On more update on this. Matt Cover at CNS News publishes the relevant federal statute:
According to federal law, “It shall be unlawful for an individual who is an officer or employee of the Federal Government, including the President, Vice President, and Members of Congress, to solicit or receive a donation of money or other thing of value in connection with a Federal, State, or local election, while in any room or building occupied in the discharge of official duties.” (Title 18, subsection 607 U.S.C.)

GrannySunni on June 29, 2011 at 3:34 PM