Angry moviegoer harasses Glenn Beck’s wife in NYC park Update: Another moviegoer says no animosity evident, but Twitter tells different story

posted at 2:50 pm on June 29, 2011 by Tina Korbe

No matter what valid criticisms can be made of Mr. Beck, he doesn’t deserve this — and his wife really doesn’t. On his radio show and website yesterday, Beck said his family was accosted while watching a movie in Bryant Park in NYC Monday night. A particularly angry moviegoer spilled a glass of wine on Beck’s wife, Tania, while another man loudly told the family, “We hate conservatives here.”

But the Becks didn’t leave immediately because, as Beck said, “I have a right to watch a movie and enjoy a movie with my family in the park. I have a right.”

Newsmax reports:

Beck said while he doesn’t expect “a warm welcome in New York City,” what bothered him “was the cowardly behavior of the hateful crowd,” he wrote on his website, glennbeck.com.

“Courage doesn’t come from a bag or a bottle — courage doesn’t come in mobs,” Beck said. “Courage comes alone, quietly. You won’t be drunk and you won’t be in a mob at the ultimate test of courage. You will be alone.”

You’d think the crowd in the park might have delighted to overlook political differences to take comfort in a common taste in movies. After all, what are politics compared to an Alfred Hitchcock classic? (It was “The 39 Steps.”)

But all kidding aside, this points to a pervasive issue: Political communications and politics, in general, have become increasingly and paradoxically both personality-driven and anonymous — arguably to the detriment of the discussion of ideas.

The personality of a pundit or a politician seems to matter to the public just as much as what he or she says. That inspires public figures to play up personality, to pretend to be larger than life — and it prompts the public to poke fun at irrelevant flaws or to tear down even the spouses and children of those in the limelight. That’s not to say character doesn’t contribute to the credibility of a political figure’s opinions — but it is to say ad hominem attacks have ever and will ever be a logical fallacy.

The anonymity that comes from being just one in a crowd — or, as Beck put it, “mob mentality” — might make it that much easier to vocally despise a person without repercussion or thought-provoking push-back, but it does little to encourage an honest exchange of ideas because nobody has to take real responsibility for the ideas expressed.

It also does little to foster genuine relationships. Yes, interactive journalism and 24/7 news foster a feeling of familiarity with onscreen, on-air and online personalities and that’s often a positive, tending to humanize the news-broadcasting and news-gathering process. But however powerful the “connection” between TV host and viewer or between reader and writer might seem, it’s still somewhat false, the self-conscious product of a carefully constructed brand. Viewers don’t actually know Glenn Beck, however much they think they do (unless, of course, they’ve actually interfaced with him on a semi-regular basis).

That’s why it’s best to interact with ideas in public and with people in private. By that rule, Glenn Beck should expect anyone he meets to know and have an opinion about what he says on air — but he shouldn’t have to shelter his wife from wine stains.

Update: Check out this follow-up from Glenn Beck’s site TheBlaze.com. Apparently, the gal seated behind Beck at the movie theater wrote to New York Magazine to say this:

To Whom It May Concern:

Just a quick FYI -saw your article on Mr. Beck and his numerous FALSE claims about the way that he was treated at Bryant Park last night. Myself and several of my friends were seated immediately behind Mr. Beck & co (have pictures) and I can tell you that while the crowd was certainly not *thrilled* that he had shown up, his family was left completely alone, and for the most part he was too. Conversely, it was his security detail (two body guards) that seemed to be unnecessarily prickly with the crowd, scolding myself and my friends for acrobatics and other harmless activities taking place well before the movie started, and contributing to a considerably less relaxed atmosphere than is typically experienced during BPMN (I’ve been going for about six years now).

It was my friend that spilled the glass of wine on Tanya -and I can assure you that it was a complete accident. A happy one, to be sure, but nonetheless a complete and utter accident. As soon as the wine spilled (and I question how Tanya became soaked from a half glass of wine) apologies were made and my friends pretty much scrambled to give Tanya & co napkins -no doubt aware that it would look terrible and that their actions could be perceived as purposeful. No words were exchanged after that, as I think that it became pretty clear to Beck & co that my friends and I were doing everything in our capacity to help clean the “mess”.

I‘m sure it’s unnecessary to point out the hypocrisy in Glen’s statements that we were being hateful. I can assure him that we don’t need his sympathy. Incidentally, none of us have made a career of “spewing hate” on the radio, or any other media platform. We live our lives intolerant only of those who don’t tolerate: We have chosen New York as our city for that very reason. We do things like go to Bryant Park Movie Night, and vote to legalize gay marriage. We don’t taunt Glen, or his family. And we certainly don’t waste our wine, even on Tanya.

Thanks, and please let me know if you have further questions.

Lindsey Piscitell

But her Twitter said this (warning: profanity):

Hmm. Twitter also turned up tweets from friends, suggesting she “accidentally” spill something on him. Which, of course, her friend “accidentally” did.

According to another website, Piscitell is “a twenty-something who likes to think of herself as a member of the creative underclass,” who, “in between panic attacks and espresso-fueled internet benders,” “likes to write short stories and sometimes poetry.” I include this only because that same description could apply pretty nearly to me … and I would never tweet what she tweeted — not even about, say, Keith Olbermann or an equivalently liberal talk show host. In fact, I probably would have introduced myself and tried to strike up a friendly conversation. But that’s just me.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Snotty arrogant snob.

csdeven on June 28, 2011 at 4:36 PM

The point is that words lead to violence. Civil thoughts beget civil tongues and civil tongues beget civil action.

csdeven on June 29, 2011 at 6:34 PM

dominigan on June 30, 2011 at 12:21 PM

I should have included the link…

Snotty arrogant snob.

csdeven on June 28, 2011 at 4:36 PM

dominigan on June 30, 2011 at 12:33 PM

“We have chosen New York as our city for that very reason. “

Sure…and it’s because you know that being there, in one of the least free states / cities in the US…you know that no one has a right to self defense or is legally armed and ready for you.

Try that down here in a free state. Not only would there be a response to your assault….I have a right to defend myself against attack and you’ll never get another opportunity to do it to….ANYONE….again.

It’s time for conservatives to stand up and fight back against these intolerant savages. Even if they drink wine and spew “poetry” it doesn’t alter the fact that they are uncouth, demented and uncivil.

Twana on June 30, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Poetry by Lindsey Piscitell

mrt721 on June 30, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Tainted view of the events admitted… Twitter admittance of hate too… Wow, what a moron… Truly a member of the Brainless Liberal Mob.

RalphyBoy on June 30, 2011 at 11:57 AM

This comment needed to be repeated.

Beck sized the spiller and Piscitell correctly-cowards brave only as members of a mob.

New York City should be so ashamed that it attracts people like Piscitell.

Ira on June 30, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Poetry by Lindsey Piscitell

mrt721 on June 30, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Yo Linds, drink some more wine and maybe your poetry won’t hurt so much.

disa on June 30, 2011 at 2:42 PM

You never hear of conservatives behaving this way, though. It is ALWAYS the left.

Adjoran on June 30, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Even in her own account (ignoring the evidence of hatefullness in her tweets) she shows her own hypocrisy.

Scrappy on June 30, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Dear Linsey,

Before you send a letter to New York Magazine you might want to learn a lesson from your idol Anthony Weiner about checking first for online evidence that is exactly opposite of your claims… Oh wait, let me guess, your twitter account was hacked, right?

Scrappy on June 30, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Not sure if it was posted here yet..but this website really really does a good job at summing it up.

malkinmania on June 30, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Lying Lindsey:

Good for you!/

I.I.R.C., Glen (a libertarian) is not opposed to gay marriage, so BOO! Secondly, only being intolerant of those you don’t tolerate is hardly something to brag about, but there’s no accounting for the stupidity of a Useful Idiot.

Buy Danish on June 30, 2011 at 5:30 PM

“New York City should be so ashamed that it attracts people like Piscitell.”

NYC BREEDS people like Piscitell.

Hey did you hear, the mayor gave Flo crabs?

Lonetown on June 30, 2011 at 5:43 PM

I ran into James Carville at Sam’s Club a while back. This is a pretty conservative suburb (it happens to be the closest Sam’s Club to where he lives in New Orleans) but even that snake was left entirely alone to do his shopping in peace. I can’t think of a time a conservative mob crowded and harrassed a lefty, but it happens to our side all the time – remember that video of those conspiracy freaks going after Michelle Malkin? And just try attending a conservative lecture on a college campus…

Laura Curtis on June 30, 2011 at 6:52 PM

A nice place to visit but would not want to pay taxes there. move to Tennessee, Texas, or Florida.

I am not a racist on June 30, 2011 at 9:12 PM

According to AP her facebook page disappeared unexpectedly after the incident, but her drab, childish emo poetry lives on.

PatriotPete on July 1, 2011 at 9:32 AM

These are liberal, pseudo-intellectual entitlement babies living off their parents in some sh*thole Manhattan/Soho apartment that they pay 3k a month for and think its cool. Speaking for where I grew up, the blue collar Bronx, we used to laugh at these pretentious twits as what they were…do nothing spineless, mouth breathers who have no intellectual argument so they justify themselves through petty, snarky, cowardly and ultimately trivial attacks.

PatriotPete on July 1, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Really sweety? Well as a smoker, I’ve observed the intolerant, fascistic actions your state government has taken against smokers, and I note that GMU has determined your state to be the LEAST free in the union. Please do us a favor and secede so we don’t have your @–hole representatives and senators imposing your authoritarian agenda on the rest of us in the FREE United States.

quikstrike98 on July 1, 2011 at 10:26 AM

This is the beginning of the tribalization of America. It starts with contention, polarization and loss of respect for laws and escalates into hatred and violence and warfare.

flataffect on July 1, 2011 at 4:19 PM

“No matter what valid criticisms can be made of Mr. Beck…” sounds very much like Tina doesn’t support Glenn much. That’s O.K., she has that right, at least in America for the time being. However, what precisely has Glenn every said or done that is not true? I have asked on numerous websites in my Internet travels for someone to come up with concrete proof about anything Glenn has said or done that is not true…so far its ZERO!! The facts are that Glenn does so much research and deep to boot that few can fault him but many hate him. Welcome to the progressive arm of the Obama machine. We need more Glenns not less and unfortunately there aren’t…most Americans have no cajones!!

sharinlite on July 1, 2011 at 6:35 PM

The company she works for has this ironic quote in its’ “About Us” section:

Perks & Promotions
Living like a local is an entire experience – that’s why we’ve created the Roomorama Perks Program to extend our welcome. As a Roomorama member, you’re privy to special rates with our partners, whether you want a bottle of wine for the evening, a car for the day, laundry service for the week or language classes for the whole month.

dm60462 on July 3, 2011 at 4:11 PM