Alaska poll: Obama 42, Palin 36

posted at 8:36 pm on June 28, 2011 by Allahpundit

Lots of people e-mailing about this. I feel like I’m fishing and I’ve suddenly landed a blue marlin on the line; it’s too powerful for me to handle. I’m not sure I can even get the damned thing into the boat, so heavy is it with comment potential.

Seriously, there’s no way a political star like Palin would lose her own very Republican home state to The One. Unemployment would have to be at one percent.

The poll found 42 percent of Alaskan voters would pick Obama in a head to head race against Palin for the presidency, while 36 percent of the voters would choose Palin over him.

Conservative Anchorage radio host Mike Porcaro paid for Hays Research to ask the question.

“Sarah Palin showcases her Alaska roots at every opportunity, but the surprising reality is she has become highly unpopular in her home state,” Porcaro said in an emailed statement.

“Whether it is the fact she left office after serving barely two years or that some Alaskans believe her tax policies have punished our vital oil and gas industry or the ‘rock star’ nature of her media coverage, these results show Sarah Palin would lose to Obama in Alaska, where voters overwhelmingly support conservative candidates,” Porcaro said.

Alaskans have been voting in presidential elections since 1960. They’ve backed the Republican every single time except once — in 1964, when they supported, er, a welfare-state liberal Democrat over a “true conservative” Republican. The poll, incidentally, was conducted by Hays Research, whose final poll of the 2008 presidential campaign put John McCain just three points ahead of Obama in Alaska notwithstanding Palin’s presence on the ticket. The actual result on election day: McCain 59, Obama 38. In other words, Hays isn’t worth much. (But they’re worth just enough that you can use them in a pinch to offset other polls whose results you may not like.)

Meanwhile, at tonight’s movie premiere in Iowa, she sure is sounding like a candidate:

Though she indicated that she is still not close to announcing her decision on whether she will run for president, former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin on Tuesday said that she would fully commit to the traditional process leading up to the Iowa caucuses, if she does through her hat in the ring.

“110 percent,” Palin told RealClearPolitics before entering the premiere of a documentary that extols her accomplishments in office. “Doing as much as I can to garner that support. It’s necessary.”…

Asked about her daughter Bristol’s pronouncement during an appearance on Fox News on Tuesday morning that her mother “definitely knows” whether she intends to launch a White House bid, Palin said that she texted Bristol after hearing about the remark.

“I said, ‘What did you say this morning, honey?’” Palin said with a smile. “I told Bristol, too, what is talked about on the fishing boat stays on the fishing boat.”

Exit question: If it did come down to Obama vs. Palin, which side would our old friend Lena Maloney campaign for?

Update: Ah, another bad poll from the Hays people via one of the C4P bloggers. Late last October, they had Joe Miller trailing Democrat Scott McAdams by six points for second place behind Murkowski. Election day results: Murky 39, Miller 35, McAdams 23.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 6 7 8

Well, at least we now have a Daffy Duck reference.

MeatHeadinCA on June 29, 2011 at 11:18 AM

That is a big step up from Dr. Ayman Zawahiri.

Brian1972 on June 29, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Shut up you liar. This morning this thread was going along just fine until you showed up. Wanna see your first comment of the morning?

darwin on June 29, 2011 at 11:11 AM

I do, I do!

MeatHeadinCA on June 29, 2011 at 11:22 AM

That is a big step up from Dr. Ayman Zawahiri.

Brian1972 on June 29, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Are you waging a Palin Jihad?

MeatHeadinCA on June 29, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Are you waging a Palin Jihad?

MeatHeadinCA on June 29, 2011 at 11:23 AM

I’m rejecting the notion that anyone here at Hot Air, no matter what they have said, has earned an equivalence in any way with “the terrorists”, as our resident csdeven has repeatedly, insistently posited.

Total, complete refudiation.

Brian1972 on June 29, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Total, complete refudiation.

Brian1972 on June 29, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Is he going over the top – again? Is he making it personal – again?

MeatHeadinCA on June 29, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Hey Brian, you’re desssssssspicable.

Dongemaharu on June 29, 2011 at 11:08 AM

ROFLMAO!!!

CS “Looney Tunes” Louise has a theme song!

Roy Rogers on June 29, 2011 at 11:31 AM

No one cares about St Palin the Quitter except for her fans. The rest of us are bored with her shameless attention getting stunts.

csdeven on June 28, 2011 at 11:59 PM

After reading through most of the comments on this thread, I went back to see what started this all.

Here’s my question: If you are bored with Palin, why did you click on a story about her and feel the need to post a name-calling comment. It seems exactly the opposite of what you claim, that you enjoy going out of your way to provoke her supporters with name-calling, then playing the martyr (oh, woe is me!)

The only thing that makes sense is exactly how you described it…
shameless attention getting stunt.

dominigan on June 29, 2011 at 11:31 AM

dominigan on June 29, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Bingo!

Give this man a +1, stat!

Brian1972 on June 29, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Is he going over the top – again? Is he making it personal – again?

MeatHeadinCA on June 29, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Of course. It is a repeat of the last time I tangled a bit with this person.

In the midst of complaining about “personal attacks” and going off topic, this person says, repeatedly, that I and others have earned a comparison with “the terrorists”.

Except I haven’t actually killed anyone.

That is the difference, you see.

Not a personal attack or insult, just pointing out to me what my behavior has earned in return.

Nice, huh?

Brian1972 on June 29, 2011 at 11:36 AM

shameless attention getting stunt whore

dominigan on June 29, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Louise’s MO

Roy Rogers on June 29, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Nice, huh?

Brian1972 on June 29, 2011 at 11:36 AM

I think dominigan summed it up pretty well.

The only thing I’d add is that this thread has now turned into a thread about csdeven – a common trolling technique. Surprise, surprise, surprise.

MeatHeadinCA on June 29, 2011 at 11:38 AM

cslouis seems to dislike being hoist by her own petard.

fossten on June 29, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Palin 36% vs a weak Obama.

lol.

Great candidate.

rickyricardo on June 29, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Surprise, surprise, surprise.

MeatHeadinCA on June 29, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Yep. In this particular instance, I’m not going to let it pass without challenge.

Somebody has to.

Brian1972 on June 29, 2011 at 11:43 AM

rickyricardo on June 29, 2011 at 11:43 AM

So you take this poll as gospel do ya?

Doesn’t surprise me at all.

It is why I normally ignore you.

Brian1972 on June 29, 2011 at 11:44 AM

So you take this poll as gospel do ya?

Doesn’t surprise me at all.

It is why I normally ignore you.

Brian1972 on June 29, 2011 at 11:44 AM

So you ignore all polls except the ones favorable to your candidate?

How’s the bubble?

rickyricardo on June 29, 2011 at 11:49 AM

So you ignore all polls except the ones favorable to your candidate?

How’s the bubble?

rickyricardo on June 29, 2011 at 11:49 AM

So you ignore all the caveats Allah put in his own piece about this poll and just go with it anyway without question because it fits your preferred narrative?

How’s the bubble?

Brian1972 on June 29, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Palin 36% vs a weak Obama.

lol.

Great candidate.

rickyricardo on June 29, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Until all potential candidates are in and they’re well into their campaigns polls are essentially worthless. Yes, even the ones that are favorable to palin.

darwin on June 29, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Palin 36% vs a weak Obama.

lol.

Great candidate.

rickyricardo on June 29, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Obama can’t even get over 45% against an unelectable airhead.

LOL.

Great candidate.

fossten on June 29, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Obama can’t even get over 45% against an unelectable airhead.

LOL.

Great candidate.

fossten on June 29, 2011 at 11:54 AM

He wins.

Say hello to another leftist Supreme Court nominee.

rickyricardo on June 29, 2011 at 12:13 PM

When you have nothing to write about, show poll results.

Bleed_thelizard on June 29, 2011 at 12:16 PM

He wins.

Say hello to another leftist Supreme Court nominee.

rickyricardo on June 29, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Your attitude suggests the media has successfully planted the notion that Obama is invincible in your subconscious mind.

He isn’t.

darwin on June 29, 2011 at 12:31 PM

He wins.

Say hello to another leftist Supreme Court nominee.

rickyricardo on June 29, 2011 at 12:13 PM

If you believe this poll from a very suspect and questionable firm from a state that is notoriously hard to poll accurately.

Which you apparently do, because it fits in your bubble without rupturing the surface.

I don’t.

Brian1972 on June 29, 2011 at 12:37 PM

With apologies to Brian, I copied and pasted this from the other garbage poll currently residing in the Headlines. It applies just as well on this thread.

Do you disagree with any of that?

Brian1972 on June 29, 2011 at 12:50 PM

What I disagree with is that there is NO official blog post for the Pella event, but instead we get this garbage. This is why I’m spending more time elsewhere.

Even the Des Moines Register has Palin as the Featured Story in Top News with a picture and video, while Barry just gets 3 links to his coverage.

Hot Air Fail, IMO.

ornery_independent on June 29, 2011 at 1:08 PM

He wins.

Say hello to another leftist Supreme Court nominee.

rickyricardo on June 29, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Is Palin running? Did she announce yet? Where are the other 22%? Since when did a Presidential candidate ever win a state with only 42% of the vote?

fossten on June 29, 2011 at 1:26 PM

I suggest you try it.

Brian1972 on June 29, 2011 at 11:07 AM

I suggest you try to curtail your obsession with me and stick to responding to comments on the merits.

csdeven on June 29, 2011 at 1:57 PM

This is starting to look like a stump speech – Governor Palin’s impromtu speech after the movie premier.

SheetAnchor on June 29, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Yeah, you responded to someone with a personal attack.

There’s something wrong with you.

darwin on June 29, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Your obsession is affecting your ability to read….my response was to explain that he had slipped back into his obsession.

You get a C-

You only used the word “obsession” once. I expected more from you.

Sorry to distract you from Hollowpoint’s tongue bath. Carry on.

Geochelone on June 29, 2011 at 1:17 AM

So lets examine the logic you use to make personal attacks…..I make a political comment on a political blog, a commentator attacks me because the opinion was a different one than his. I point out that it was an unwarranted attack. He continues to level personal attacks. I explain he is obsessing over me. Then you stick your nose in it and level a personal attack at me for defending myself. Something is wrong…..with you. It’s called OCD.

Actually, you should be dealing with your own obsession with me. He has a sense of humor about it while you are clearly very close to a fit of rage.

csdeven on June 29, 2011 at 2:10 PM

dominigan on June 29, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Why do you care what I say or why I say it? If it bothers you so much why not take your own advice and simply don’t respond to me? You have taken on their obsession with me and now the question is, how does it feel to have me camped out in your head?

csdeven on June 29, 2011 at 2:14 PM

csdeven on June 28, 2011 at 11:59 PM

If you say so. I’m getting a great response from local Repubs for the documentary screenings. Maybe you live in a blue state?

alwaysfiredup on June 29, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Dear God …

A lunatic obsessive projecting it’s obsession.

darwin on June 29, 2011 at 2:20 PM

MeatHeadinCA on June 29, 2011 at 11:38 AM

And lookie there! You just made it about me again!

The common trolling technique is used by you. You respond to political comments with personal insults thus dragging the thread off the topic. Some days you want to make it about me, some days you make it about others. The commonality in the hijacking of threads is your refusal to simply respond to the political opinions of others in a civil manner or simply ignore them and move on.

csdeven on June 29, 2011 at 2:21 PM

alwaysfiredup on June 29, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Are these previous Palin supporters or converts to the cause?

csdeven on June 29, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Dear God …

A lunatic obsessive projecting it’s obsession.

darwin on June 29, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Replacing your insults of me with insults of yourself isn’t helpful. Look, just scan through the thread and find a comment you can respond to in an appropriate civil manner. Don’t be so hard on yourself.

csdeven on June 29, 2011 at 2:25 PM

csdeven on June 28, 2011 at 11:59 PM

If you say so. I’m getting a great response from local Repubs for the documentary screenings. Maybe you live in a blue state padded room?

alwaysfiredup on June 29, 2011 at 2:16 PM

FIFY.

steebo77 on June 29, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Are these previous Palin supporters or converts to the cause?

csdeven on June 29, 2011 at 2:22 PM

You have to answer my question first. Do you live in a blue state?

alwaysfiredup on June 29, 2011 at 2:32 PM

You have to answer my question first. Do you live in a blue state?

alwaysfiredup on June 29, 2011 at 2:32 PM

csdeven on June 29, 2011 at 2:34 PM

csdeven on June 29, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Okay. No, no one I’ve talked to says Palin is their first choice for president and many assert she won’t run. But almost everyone is undecided and they are willing to spend a couple hours watching a film about Palin’s record from 1-4 years ago. I think that says something.

alwaysfiredup on June 29, 2011 at 2:37 PM

csdeven on June 29, 2011 at 2:22 PM

You have to answer my question first. Do you live in a blue state?

alwaysfiredup on June 29, 2011 at 2:32 PM

What a silly question. Everyone knows that csdeven lives in our heads, rent-free.

steebo77 on June 29, 2011 at 2:38 PM

csdeven on June 29, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Hahahaha … you nut. You think people are stupid? This is your MO. If you start getting too much heat on a thread you leave and come back a couple of hours later … always starting off with your “civility” bullshyt. Within no time you’re back to your same schtick.

Everyone can see what you’re doing.

darwin on June 29, 2011 at 2:51 PM

SO… I hear the Palin doumentary went over real big!

/ducks

44Magnum on June 29, 2011 at 3:01 PM

csdeven on June 29, 2011 at 2:34 PM

You’ve been refudiated.

Brian1972 on June 29, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Weeks before the election, Reagan trailed Carter in most polls. In the Gallup poll on October 26, Jimmy Carter was at 47 percent and Ronald Reagan at 39 percent.

:lol Reagan trailed Carter by 8 points….

Palin is in better position….;) Palin 2012.

dec5 on June 29, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Do you understand the difference between being simply a fan of Palin, and being a Palinista? Palinistas are not rational, even though they fancy that they are. They whine that Sarah and they are mistreated by PDSers, yet they are behaving no better themselves.

Bizarro No. 1 on June 29, 2011 at 3:47 AM

Palinite is a better term…and a term Palin bashers fear the most to use it seems…:lol

dec5 on June 29, 2011 at 3:56 PM

“Louise is still ready for her closeup, Mr. deMille!”

“Mr. deMille?”

“hello???”

Roy Rogers on June 29, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Good news for Palin supporters who don’t live near one of the 8 cities where The Undefeated is being premiered on 7/15. You can donate $100+ to SarahPac at the special link here:

And they will send you a copy of the DVD so you can watch the movie at home, I believe at the same time as the premier in the 8 cities. I am getting my copy and I plan to have group viewings all over the state with my copy.

karenhasfreedom on June 29, 2011 at 4:19 PM

karenhasfreedom on June 29, 2011 at 4:19 PM

it says the dvd will be sent after the theater run but before DVD sales.

unseen on June 29, 2011 at 4:23 PM

dec5 on June 29, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Most like gov Palin are Reaganites and we don’t mind the label. Call us what you want. we will continue to call you all losers.

unseen on June 29, 2011 at 4:25 PM

alwaysfiredup on June 29, 2011 at 2:37 PM

I’m sure that is true. Her problem that there aren’t many people who haven’t made up their mind.

csdeven on June 29, 2011 at 4:26 PM

steebo77 on June 29, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Now that was funny. lol

csdeven on June 29, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Louise giggles coyly…

*barf*

Roy Rogers on June 29, 2011 at 4:46 PM

dec5 on June 29, 2011 at 3:56 PM

unseen on June 29, 2011 at 4:25 PM

We Palinites can’t wait for Pain to run…The only Losers will be the Palin Bashers themselves…:lol

dec5 on June 29, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Her problem that there aren’t many people who haven’t made up their mind.

csdeven on June 29, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Minds can change with new circumstances.

Just ask Obama about that.

He’s a long, long way from Jan. 21, 2009.

Brian1972 on June 29, 2011 at 4:51 PM

alwaysfiredup on June 29, 2011 at 2:37 PM

csdeven on June 29, 2011 at 4:26 PM

What part of “almost everyone is undecided” did you not read?

alwaysfiredup on June 29, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Woohoo!!! more Palin pics…Yippie!!!

dec5 on June 29, 2011 at 5:17 PM

What part of “almost everyone is undecided” did you not read?

alwaysfiredup on June 29, 2011 at 5:04 PM

The polling does not support that claim. Most people have already decided and there are not enough undecideds left to swing it her way even if she did manage to get them all.

csdeven on June 29, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Minds can change with new circumstances.

Just ask Obama about that.

He’s a long, long way from Jan. 21, 2009.

Brian1972 on June 29, 2011 at 4:51 PM

The people that switch from Obama will go somewhere. Palin is not reaching those people. The polling shows no evidence that they are waiting for her to announce before changing their mind. This is what I believe Romneys strategy is…..he’s knows the indies are fickle and he only needs to tickle their ears with whatever rhetoric they are looking for this cycle. Sarah is ideologically pure and they are too chicken$hit to make that kind of a commitment.

csdeven on June 29, 2011 at 6:15 PM

csdeven on June 29, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Yes, why even campaign? People have decided and they never change their minds … set in stone, for all time, eternity.

darwin on June 29, 2011 at 6:23 PM

darwin on June 29, 2011 at 6:23 PM

All candidates should campaign if they choose. But they must also have realistic expectations. Changing minds of people who dislike a candidate is a herculean task especially when the candidate is not going to change their positions. I would hope our nominee will stick to their values come heck or high water.

csdeven on June 29, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Is this one of those “polls” the Palinbots quote to say she will win Ohio and Florida over Obama?

Speedwagon82 on June 29, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Speedwagon82 on June 29, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Not sure, I’ll have to check the saddle bag on my Unicorn to find that one.

csdeven on June 29, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Louise’s latest eau du jour?

Obsession

Roy Rogers on June 29, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Roy Rogers on June 29, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Still can’t stop obsessing over me can you.

csdeven on June 29, 2011 at 7:37 PM

and this Progressive Liberal Socialist Democrat polling firm is relevant how?? this only exposes hotair.com as elitist why not just move to DC?

refutiated at conservatives4palin.com , lol

mathewsjw on June 29, 2011 at 8:22 PM

“Louise REALLY wants her closeup Mr. deMille!!!”

“Puhleeeeez Mr. deMille!!!”

Roy Rogers on June 29, 2011 at 8:25 PM

“Louise REALLY wants her closeup Mr. deMille!!!”

“Puhleeeeez Mr. deMille!!!”

Roy Rogers on June 29, 2011 at 8:25 PM

The real question is: How did you become so obsessed with me that you WANT to have my closeup? Isn’t there an actual thread topic you should be thinking about instead of me?

csdeven on June 29, 2011 at 8:41 PM

csdeven on June 29, 2011 at 8:41 PM

You just can’t.

let.

it.

go.

ever.

lol :)

Brian1972 on June 29, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Brian1972 on June 29, 2011 at 9:27 PM

That is some weak obsessiveness dude. Try a new thread. I’ll be making a comment on a politician later and you will have another opportunity to ignore the merits of it and find a way to obsess on me.

csdeven on June 29, 2011 at 10:36 PM

Unfortunately, Louise has no “good side” when her mascara is running…

poor baby!

Roy Rogers on June 29, 2011 at 11:02 PM

Roy Rogers on June 29, 2011 at 11:02 PM

So you don’t know why you want my close up? Dude, that is all the evidence you will need to prove to yourself that you have a serious obsession with me.

csdeven on June 30, 2011 at 12:10 AM

so Hays underestimated Palin by 18 points in 2008… and now has Obama by 6… and and and… huh?

DaMav on June 30, 2011 at 2:10 AM

Louise: Obsessed with her own obsession…

Isn’t there a song for this?

Roy Rogers on June 30, 2011 at 5:16 AM

Isn’t there a song for this?

Roy Rogers on June 30, 2011 at 5:16 AM

There are several…Plus, all those commercials…

Gohawgs on June 30, 2011 at 6:13 AM

There are several…Plus, all those commercials…

Gohawgs on June 30, 2011 at 6:13 AM

Ahhh… the 80′s! Louise is pretty much a cartoon caricature!

She knows her name now!

Brian1972 on June 30, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Denial.

Projection.

Delusion.

Rinse, repeat.

Brian1972 on June 30, 2011 at 11:57 AM

You have made that point about your obsession over me in the past. What do you want? A medal?

csdeven on June 30, 2011 at 7:51 PM