Quotes of the day

posted at 10:40 pm on June 27, 2011 by Allahpundit

“Can you believe this? House Republican, Tea Party Caucus Chairwoman, and extremist Michele Bachmann has now officially announced her campaign for President.

“Not only does she think she can win, but many pundits think she’s a contender. Even the latest polls show she’s in a good position.

“So why does this matter? Michele Bachmann is the EXACT kind of extremist we’re fighting to keep OUT of Congress. We have just 72 hours left to put together the strongest possible mid-year fundraising totals and put Tea Party Republicans on notice that that we’re going to defeat them in 2012.”

***
“Leaders from Tea Party groups in about 40 states gathered in the Washington offices of FreedomWorks, the libertarian advocacy group that cultivated the Tea Party movement. The weekend training session was aimed at educating them on legislative priorities as the Tea Party tries to transition beyond its role as a protest movement to one that has an impact in state capitols and in the 2012 campaign.

“A (completely unscientific) voice-vote straw poll of the (possibly unrepresentative) group, conducted by reporters, found almost no support and even a few groans for Sarah Palin; loud boos drowning out a handful of cheers for Mitt Romney; nays for Jon M. Huntsman Jr.; and support but dismissals that ‘he can’t win’ for Herman Cain. After reporters had called out the names of several presidential contenders, Tea Party activists called out another suggestion: Allen West, the newly elected representative from Florida who became a Tea Party rock star in the midterms. (Loud cheers, followed by a sober, ‘He’s not running.’ That prompted another suggestion: ‘Allen West for V.P.!’)

“On a voice-vote run-off (equally unscientific) among the apparent top three contenders, Mrs. Bachmann, a Minnesota Republican, seemed to do best among women in the room, while Mr. Perry did best among men, and Mr. Paul, also of Texas, did best among younger people in the room.”

***
“[T]he Minnesota Republican and her family have benefited personally from government aid, an examination of her record and finances shows. A counseling clinic run by her husband has received nearly $30,000 from the state of Minnesota in the last five years, money that in part came from the federal government. A family farm in Wisconsin, in which the congresswoman is a partner, received nearly $260,000 in federal farm subsidies.

“And she has sought to keep federal money flowing to her constituents. After publicly criticizing the Obama administration’s stimulus program, Bachmann requested stimulus funds to support projects in her district. Although she has been a fierce critic of earmarks — calling them “part of the root problem with Washington’s spending addiction’ — the congresswoman nonetheless argued recently that transportation projects should not be considered congressional pork…

“Steve Ellis, vice president of Taxpayers for Common Sense, a nonpartisan budget watchdog group, said such reasoning was “ridiculous,” adding: “That sounds like a pretty big loophole to me.”

“As Bachmann pursues the presidency, Ellis said, her record will face tougher scrutiny.

“‘If you want to talk about the debt and deficit and reigning in wasteful spending, you have to look in the mirror and make sure you’re living a fiscally pure life as well,’ he said.”

***
“The more relevant question for a politician such as Bachmann is whether she has broken from her professed small government principles specifically to advocate policies that would benefit her personally. And based on the Times article, there’s no evidence given that she supported the farm subsidies and health care spending that benefitted her family. In fact, the article notes that she voted against the 2008 farm bill. And that she voted against the stimulus bill. Sure, she later requested stimulus aid for her district, but again, her district is paying taxes to Washington and the same money is going to be spent whether or not it goes to her district.

“There are parts of the article that raise legitimate points about the purity of her record. For instance, the Times quotes a 2009 letter Bachmann sent to Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack in which she called for the propping up of pig products: ‘I would encourage you to take any additional steps necessary to prevent further deterioration of these critical industries, such as making additional commodity purchases.’ The article also highlights her attempts to argue that transportation projects shouldn’t count as earmarks.

“Each of these examples warrants additional scrutiny, but the rest of the story overreached.”

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Adjoran on June 28, 2011 at 2:12 AM

Excellent post!..:)

Dire Straits on June 28, 2011 at 2:17 AM

Since the Republicans voted against it, though, it is hard to blame them for missing one more objectionable line item in hundreds of pages of outrages.

Adjoran on June 28, 2011 at 2:12 AM

The only problem…. it took over a year to find out what we are discussing.

idesign on June 28, 2011 at 2:17 AM

That was a cool video!..:)

Dire Straits on June 28, 2011 at 2:16 AM

That one is too short. How do I get the one Ace has?

katy the mean old lady on June 28, 2011 at 2:20 AM

That one is too short. How do I get the one Ace has?

katy the mean old lady on June 28, 2011 at 2:20 AM

Hold on a minute!..:)

Dire Straits on June 28, 2011 at 2:23 AM

Well, this has been fun, but now I’m done. I don’t hold out much hope for Bachmann in the long run, but I’d pick her over Romney in a heart beat.

The bad thing is, in 2008 I was ready to reluctantly vote for Romney. In my defense, he was pretending to be more conservative then, and the only alternatives at that point were McCain and Huckabee. Romney looked the least bad at the time. Now, he looks the most bad. Except for Ron Paul, who I couldn’t vote for, because I don’t think the nation could survive with him as Commander-in-Chief.

There Goes The Neighborhood on June 28, 2011 at 2:25 AM

katy the mean old lady on June 28, 2011 at 2:20 AM

Here is the one Ace played!..:)

Dire Straits on June 28, 2011 at 2:27 AM

Splashy Sarah Palin Movie Premiere Shuts Out Hollywood; Turns Away Journalists

Jeff Fusco/Getty Images
The director admits he didn’t invite his “right-wing” friends such as Jon Voight and Dennis Miller, while the media scrambles for seats.
PELLA, IOWA — Reporters from around the country that have descended upon tiny Pella, Iowa for the premiere of the Sarah Palin documentary The Undefeated on Tuesday night were in for a rude awakening: So scarce are the tickets that there’s no room in the theater for journalists.
The town, in fact, has been filling up rapidly since Palin confirmed she’d attend the premiere with her husband, Todd. Police notified residents that the streets around the venue, the 111-year-old Pella Opera House, would be shut down beginning 13 hours prior to show time.
On Monday, organizers were still divvying up tickets to the massively oversubscribed event, and reporters – some who travelled more than 1,000 miles — were given the word that they didn’t make the cut….

idesign on June 28, 2011 at 2:30 AM

katy the mean old lady on June 28, 2011 at 2:20 AM
Here is the one Ace played!..:)

Dire Straits on June 28, 2011 at 2:27 AM

GRASSY AZZ!

katy the mean old lady on June 28, 2011 at 2:34 AM

GRASSY AZZ!

katy the mean old lady on June 28, 2011 at 2:34 AM

Your welcome!..:)

Dire Straits on June 28, 2011 at 2:43 AM

Well, watching the Bachmann campaign come and go was interesting. When will Sarah be in Pella tomorrow for the showing tomorrow? Hopefully C-SPAN or one of the MSMers will be on hand to get us live video of the festivities.

Punchenko on June 28, 2011 at 2:44 AM

Who is voting for Mitt, by the way? I have yet to see one of his supporters on a thread.

Punchenko on June 27, 2011 at 10:58 PM

Most drive by with hit and run comments. Some linger, not wanting to abdicate their obsessed commenter status. Others drop by before heading off to “the circus” while another has been known to copy and paste for 17 hours…

Gohawgs on June 28, 2011 at 3:25 AM

Looks like MB might have a new theme song…/

Gohawgs on June 28, 2011 at 3:28 AM

Gohawgs on June 28, 2011 at 3:28 AM

Did you see the Perceptron made an appearance?

Geochelone on June 28, 2011 at 3:53 AM

Did you see the Perceptron made an appearance?

Geochelone on June 28, 2011 at 3:53 AM

I did…I remarked…He is…

Gohawgs on June 28, 2011 at 4:05 AM

Gohawgs on June 28, 2011 at 4:05 AM

I was going to ask him to predict when he would make his next appearance but thought better, you know cause he might stack the deck to make his prediction match his appearance. And that’s cheating.

Geochelone on June 28, 2011 at 4:09 AM

Geochelone on June 28, 2011 at 4:09 AM

How perceptive of you…

Gohawgs on June 28, 2011 at 4:12 AM

Gohawgs on June 28, 2011 at 4:12 AM

Maybe we cold ask him which candidate will stick their foot in their mouth next. Seems they all have saliva cover shoes now. Droolers.

Geochelone on June 28, 2011 at 4:14 AM

For some, the added fiber is needed…

Gohawgs on June 28, 2011 at 4:15 AM

chump, on the MB makes it official thread, pulled out the Trig truther card and was only challenged by a couple. Others were “too busy” harping on unseen for last night’s unseemly foster kid snark to notice chump’s ABSURD comment…Double standard, much?…

Gohawgs on June 28, 2011 at 4:17 AM

How Congress Was Duped into Repealing Military Gay Ban

The IG report makes clear that a skewed response was manufactured and leaked to friendly journalists by top Pentagon and White House officials. Specifically, an executive summary of a Defense Department survey was written by the department’s General Counsel, Jeh Johnson, before the survey was even begun on July 7, 2010. It prompted one reviewer – a “former news anchor” whom Johnson allowed to see his draft over the July 4th weekend – to tell the IG he was “struck by how many members of the United States Armed Services thought this was just fine.”

HalJordan on June 28, 2011 at 4:21 AM

Here Hal…

Another magnificient decision by the politicians that run our military services….

Gohawgs on June 28, 2011 at 4:30 AM

Gohawgs on June 28, 2011 at 4:17 AM

I missed that. I was replying to sheryl. LINK also followed up with Cindy.

I hear you. Double Standard. Even when KingGold called for a cathartic truce, where he “thought” himself to be completely candid and reasonable, within the very body of his post was a false accusation of what unseen actually said.

Its like they mapped one idea into their heads and as it was repeated over and over it morphed into something else based on a series of ever exaggerated misinterpretations.

And unseen’s initial apology which I alluded to and dissected a bit was given no credence whatever; dismissed out of hand as insincere. I was late to the whole nasty affair.

Glad Cindy saw thru it.

Geochelone on June 28, 2011 at 4:40 AM

I just want the folks to see this. :)

It’s very simple. Look at the picture of Palin taken five weeks before the birth of Trig and tell me if she looks three months pregnant for five.

She’s seven months pregnant in that picture.

Who are you going to believe, Palin or your lying eyes?

I won’t comment any further on the issue on this thread. I will only say that if she does run, the question of Trig’s birth will be unavoidable. I hope she runs, if only for that reason.

Ok, I’m out of here.

chumpThreads on June 27, 2011 at 5:57 PM

chumpThreads <===== Look.

Maybe we should make a thread on ConservativesAgainstPalin.com so the world can see what loons PDSers are.

Geochelone on June 28, 2011 at 4:50 AM

G’ Mornin’

OmahaConservative on June 28, 2011 at 4:51 AM

Geochelone on June 28, 2011 at 4:40 AM

Well, I saw 3 people who have been giving unseen sheeeit over his comment post addtional comments after chump doubled down and only one said anything against the Trig truther remark and that was to agree with what someone else wrote…Trying to separate their disdain for unseen from their disdain for Palin would be difficult…

Btw, the person you were responding to is a mitt supporter. Which, by definition, means she believes in nothing…

Gohawgs on June 28, 2011 at 4:54 AM

Mornin’ OC…

Gohawgs on June 28, 2011 at 4:54 AM

I forgot the LINK

I just want the folks to see this. :)

I will post this early and often. :)

She’s seven months pregnant in that picture.

Who are you going to believe, Palin or your lying eyes?

Ok, I’m out of here.

chumpThreads on June 27, 2011 at 5:57 PM

chumpThreads <======== LOOK!!

chumpThread's hopes Palin runs, if only for the reason that Trig's birth takes center stage. WOW

Geochelone on June 28, 2011 at 4:58 AM

Geo,

Jimmy Connors or John McEnroe?…

Gohawgs on June 28, 2011 at 5:02 AM

Gohawgs on June 28, 2011 at 4:54 AM

I know. I got the terrain all mapped out bro. Can you believe she thinks that the gang at HotAir would never re-elect Reagan?

Geochelone on June 28, 2011 at 5:04 AM

Gohawgs on June 28, 2011 at 5:02 AM

Actually even though McEnroe was an a-hole I loved watching him play. He took Bjorn Borg apart way back when. Connors was no slouch, tough competitor.

Geochelone on June 28, 2011 at 5:06 AM

These MB threads are almost as tranquil as SP threads…

OmahaConservative on June 28, 2011 at 5:14 AM

G’ Mornin’

OmahaConservative on June 28, 2011 at 4:51 AM

I heard you were lifting sand bags. I pray all is well and no harm comes to your community; or anywhere else for that matter.

Geochelone on June 28, 2011 at 5:19 AM

Geochelone on June 28, 2011 at 5:19 AM

The rain is over for now, but Gavin’s Point is still flooding us with the release…
Keep those prayers ascending.

OmahaConservative on June 28, 2011 at 5:22 AM

Gohawgs on June 28, 2011 at 4:17 AM

I checked out of that thread hours ago so I missed it, but keep in mind that chumpThread is a genuine Democrat like crr and makes no pretense about it. He’s always saying that “his guy Obama” is going to win in ’12 and that he never makes mistakes and he’s perfect. He is a true troll in every sense. I think posters here know him for what he is and it’s useless to argue with him, others try to “not feed the troll”? Whereas unseen is supposed to be on the right, thus much more is expected.

If *I* ever see anyone here whom I know is a Republican say anything as disgusting and baseless as the “Trig Truth” crap, I will call that poster out. So far, none that I’ve seen have. IMO, chumpthread, crr, & ernesto don’t count, they’re like Grow Fins and Naturoboy (with chump obvously being one of the very worst) and when they do that kind of crap, they’re just showing themselves for the ugly Dems they are. They’re just Libs stirring the pot. Anyway, just my 0.02.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on June 28, 2011 at 5:24 AM

OmahaConservative on June 28, 2011 at 5:14 AM

And for that reason, I predict seeing lots more Bachmann on the menu ;)

Glad you’re safe so far, praying for continued protection.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on June 28, 2011 at 5:25 AM

OmahaConservative on June 28, 2011 at 5:22 AM

Will do. I still ache over what happened in Japan. And somewhere in the world there is a tragedy unfolding and there is nothing you can do about it but hold on to what you believe.

Geochelone on June 28, 2011 at 5:26 AM

Geochelone on June 28, 2011 at 5:04 AM

I see that sloppy logic a lot from those who swoon over Mitt. Sure he’s probably a good businessman and all around nice guy, but the man is a shameless opportunist to anyone paying attention. And just because we don’t ruin our knickers over how “presidential” he looks doesn’t mean were some hard right suicide pact who would have rino stomped Reagan. So tiresome…

Kataklysmic on June 28, 2011 at 5:30 AM

Geochelone on June 28, 2011 at 5:04 AM

I’ve seen that RR wouldn’t be elected comment before from some “status quo” Republicans…Of course it’s they who wouldn’t vote FOR RR over Mitt/T-Paw/Christie Bush the elder if given the choice…

Gohawgs on June 28, 2011 at 5:34 AM

Aslans Girl on June 28, 2011 at 5:24 AM

Yep, unseen should’ve left the kid angle for the dems, it’s their forte. That said, not to challenged such bunk from chump while piling on unseen for a 2nd nite seems a bit toooooo focused…

Gohawgs on June 28, 2011 at 5:40 AM

Geochelone on June 28, 2011 at 5:06 AM

I was too obligue…

Gohawgs on June 28, 2011 at 5:42 AM

Gohawgs on June 28, 2011 at 5:34 AM

Yes. The surveys taken show that by Tea Party members have more loyalty to our side than the Repubs in the middle. Its the middle that jumped ship last election. You have made the case repeatedly with Frum Brookes Powell et al.

There was a thread about it a while back back. So much data so little time.

Also: Good to know Trolls get an exemption. Didn’t know that was a tacit background assumption pervading the blog-o-sphere of which HotAir is but one lone galaxy.

Geochelone on June 28, 2011 at 5:42 AM

Gohawgs on June 28, 2011 at 5:42 AM

You are subtle but not malicious.

Geochelone on June 28, 2011 at 5:43 AM

Gohawgs on June 28, 2011 at 5:40 AM

And he would’ve made a good whack-a-troll, too. I can only speak for myself, but even if I had been in that thread, I might’ve missed it anyway; as soon as I learned that chump was an Obamafanboy awhile ago, I’ve made it a point to quickly scroll past his remarks. Plus, I don’t expect anything but lies and crap from him; he’s an unabashed, loud and proud Leftist.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on June 28, 2011 at 5:43 AM

Aslans Girl on June 28, 2011 at 5:43 AM

You did miss his comments…btw, is anyone really a proud leftist? Or, is only bluster to make themselves feel good?…

Gohawgs on June 28, 2011 at 5:49 AM

Geochelone on June 28, 2011 at 5:43 AM

McEnroe — sometimes loud, sometimes angry, stood up for himself when he thought he was wronged, was a very good single’s player, was a great doubles team player…Plus his spouse is Scandalously HAWT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gohawgs on June 28, 2011 at 5:55 AM

Gohawgs on June 28, 2011 at 5:49 AM

Yes, I think there are “proud” Lefists, unfortunately. They are like what the Bible teaches about in so many verses — how people who are not in accordance to His will are “proud” and are an “abomination” to Him. Arrongance, no humility. Yep, that describes the Left to a tee!

Interestingly, a certain subset of the Left uses “Pride” and “Loud and Proud” as their main mottos.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on June 28, 2011 at 5:58 AM

Gohawgs on June 28, 2011 at 5:55 AM

Wow Great Point. He was even a better doubles player than a singles player. Now that is versatility. People forget that about him. It was not much publicized. What touch he had at the net.

Geochelone on June 28, 2011 at 5:58 AM

Kataklysmic on June 28, 2011 at 5:30 AM

Labels are important. “Me-Too-Mitt” is a derogatory title, but it’s not a throw-away. It means something.

SKYFOX on June 28, 2011 at 5:59 AM

Here’s a good collection of “pride” verses, all describing the Left quite accurately.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on June 28, 2011 at 6:02 AM

Geochelone on June 28, 2011 at 5:58 AM

Now take what I wrote, add 88 and what do we have? The Frumster, Brooksie, Noonan, baby Buckley, Powell, Won’t, CK, Tokyo…or…?

Gohawgs on June 28, 2011 at 6:04 AM

Aslans Girl on June 28, 2011 at 5:58 AM

So according to a book of fairy tales, as an atheist, I am an abomination to a figment. Wow, that really hurts.

/sarc

MJBrutus on June 28, 2011 at 6:24 AM

MJBrutus on June 28, 2011 at 6:24 AM

If it’s a fairy tale, why are you worried?

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on June 28, 2011 at 6:41 AM

On the topic of certain posters getting a pass for nasty comments, I noticed in the infamously locked thread that “northdallas30″ posted, repeatedly, that Lourdes wanted Palin “raped and murdered”. He provided no links as to what he was talking about. I searched through those pages for anyone who called him out (by looking for his username and also for the word “rape”), and it was *crickets* from both the Palin-supporters and the non-Palin-supporters. Unlike chump, who is not on anyone’s side here as he is an Obamabot, northdallas30 put himself on the Palin-supporters side that night. I don’t know much else about him as he seems to be a rare commenter.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on June 28, 2011 at 6:46 AM

Scrutiny?…….something Obama never got from the Whoredog Media in 2008.

PappyD61 on June 28, 2011 at 6:57 AM

Gohawgs on June 28, 2011 at 5:49 AM

You’re right, I missed his comments. I thought you were talking about the other Bachmann thread where I did check out early, but I found his comments just now. So it seems my “scrolling past chump as quickly as I can” was working in overdrive today because I completly missed it. He’s always a jerk and I do try to avoid him. It seems the whole thread sort of died afterwards.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on June 28, 2011 at 7:01 AM

PappyD61 on June 28, 2011 at 6:57 AM

amen pappy

cmsinaz on June 28, 2011 at 7:17 AM

/sarc

MJBrutus on June 28, 2011 at 6:24 AM

Well, according to atheists Christians, Jews and Muslims are abominations so I guess we’re even.

darwin on June 28, 2011 at 7:36 AM

Fox and Friends asked Bristol Palin just a few moments ago whether she wanted her mother to run. Her answer was an enthusiastic “Yes.”

The next question they asked: has your mother made up her mind about running. Bristol’s answer: another “Yes.”

Sarah Palin is definitely running for President.

steebo77 on June 28, 2011 at 7:44 AM

but as she sprints toward the front of the Republican pack, there’s a major hole in her political résumé: legislation.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0611/57885.html#ixzz1QZR3e1IJ

ummmm how about dear leader’s THIN record as senator present….c’mon folks, the bashing of bachmann is in full force

cmsinaz on June 28, 2011 at 7:49 AM

MJBrutus on June 28, 2011 at 6:24 AM

Seeing as you have been living off the trough of goodwill the faithful have provided for you, as a beggar you should be more appreciative of what we have given you…but like most beggars, you are never satisfied with how much you are given, you always want more.

right2bright on June 28, 2011 at 7:54 AM

I have mixed feelings about MB. Every time she gives an interview she throws out the foster kids as part of her resume, there’s just something about it that doesn’t sit well with me.

wheelgun on June 28, 2011 at 8:04 AM

darwin on June 28, 2011 at 7:36 AM

According to which atheists?

MJBrutus on June 28, 2011 at 8:32 AM

Aslans Girl on June 28, 2011 at 6:41 AM

The only worry is that some, who take such fantasies as the one you cited seriously, act on them sometimes.

MJBrutus on June 28, 2011 at 8:36 AM

Aslans Girl on June 28, 2011 at 5:58 AM

You are a terrible evangelist.

steebo77 on June 28, 2011 at 8:38 AM

Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on June 28, 2011 at 6:46 AM

I think that I remember that comment-and as I recall….I DID go after him for it.
If I didn’t…If I wasn’t @ work when it happened…I should have.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 28, 2011 at 8:43 AM

MJBrutus on June 28, 2011 at 8:36 AM

Yeah, we certainly don’t have to worry about atheists acting on their fantasies. Thank goodness Stalin, Hitler, Mao and many others didn’t.

According to which atheists?

MJBrutus on June 28, 2011 at 8:32 AM

No one specifically. Isn’t the general atheist attitude believers believe something therefore they’re inferior? I said general now. I know there’s a sprinkling of atheists that don’t feel that way … a sprinkling.

darwin on June 28, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Oh please, must we put paid to that old trope yet again? Find some new material.

darwin on June 28, 2011 at 8:53 AM

No, there is no general atheist attitude towards believers. You know nothing about about how atheists feel, either individually or statistically. You’re projecting your own prejudices.

MJBrutus on June 28, 2011 at 8:59 AM

Palin is more likable than MB. Bachmann has a Katharine Harris quality about her.

Punchenko on June 27, 2011 at 11:34 PM

I found it interesting Palin’s numbers are always higher among men than women, and above it is mentioned “Mrs. Bachmann, a Minnesota Republican, seemed to do best among women in the room, while Mr. Perry did best among men.”

Just curious, I always thought women were much tougher on women.

Marcus on June 27, 2011 at 11:43 PM

Men look at Bauchmann and think “pretty good looking”
Men look at Palin and think “hot”.
Insecure women tend to dislike the women men stare at.
Its a competition thing.

Amjean on June 28, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Amjean on June 28, 2011 at 9:02 AM

I prefer Palin over Bachmann-but the problems I have w/ either woman has nothing to do with their looks.
Just because because someone share my anatomy doesn’t mean that they’re entitled to my political loyalty.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 28, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Oh please, must we put paid to that old trope yet again?

Most certainly. You’re saying we should forget a Godless ideology that killed over 100 million last century and that still exists today … and is gaining strenght?

MJBrutus on June 28, 2011 at 8:59 AM

What is there to know? You believe in the purely physical world, you’re born, you die. It’s not complicated.

I mean am I wrong?

darwin on June 28, 2011 at 9:09 AM

the problem is that she’s not really saying much different than any other GOP candidate.
The fact that she’s hired the open-borders/pro-amnesty Ed Goeas and his Tarrance Group doesn’t help her situation one bit. DD

Darvin Dowdy on June 28, 2011 at 9:11 AM

I am saying that nobody killed anybody because they were an atheist. Atheism is not a cause. It does not teach anything. It is simply the state of not being a theist. History is replete with examples of wars and purges and other massive crimes against by theists. In some cases, it was because they were theists of a religion that taught them that infidels were “abominations.”

I mean am I wrong?

darwin on June 28, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Where you are wrong is when you tried to make ignorant generalizations about the attitudes. Nothing about being an atheist predisposes one to have any attitude favorable or otherwise towards any other group. Atheism doesn’t teach one to look at those who believe differently as being “abominations.”

MJBrutus on June 28, 2011 at 9:17 AM

History is replete with examples of wars and purges and other massive crimes against humanity by theists.

fixed

MJBrutus on June 28, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Dude, in the same vein you’re blaming religion for the acts of men. If atheism isn’t a cause, neither is religion. In both cases men use it to conquer, convert, kill and attain power. Men, or more accurately … evil men.

There have been in my opinion, legitimate uses of force in the name of God. Charles Martel beating back the Islamic hordes and the Crusades. If arms had not been taken up in the Name of God the US probably would not exist and Europe wouldn’t either.

MJBrutus on June 28, 2011 at 9:17 AM

Really? Is that why the favorite taunt of you and others is to insult people by constantly referring to the bible as a book of “fairy tales”?

I will tell you that anyone who questions, any religious person who truly questions will first question their faith. They will question the existence of God and their beliefs.

Do atheists question their beliefs? Because it is only a belief after all.

darwin on June 28, 2011 at 9:37 AM

MJBrutus on June 28, 2011 at 9:17 AM

So why do you and others evangelize for it? It’s the same old weasel tactic.

pseudoforce on June 28, 2011 at 9:38 AM

pseudoforce on June 28, 2011 at 9:38 AM

I don’t. I simply speak up when others attack it.

MJBrutus on June 28, 2011 at 9:41 AM

pseudoforce on June 28, 2011 at 9:38 AM

I don’t. I simply speak up when others attack it.

MJBrutus on June 28, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Attack “it”? But atheism doesn’t do anything, doesn’t teach anything. There’s nothing to attack, right?

pseudoforce on June 28, 2011 at 9:45 AM

In some cases religion is the cause of violence. You have heard of the 9/11, right? That example doesn’t require going more than a decade and I can cite many more just in today’s world. I am not blaming religion for all conflicts or saying that it is always malign. But some times it is. Atheism never is.

When one uses that book to explain why they think atheists are “abominations” I remind them what the basis of their prejudice amounts to.

Do atheists question their beliefs? Because it is only a belief after all.

Some do. Some don’t. Calling lack of belief a belief is rather perverse. Is it a “belief” to not believe in leprechauns? Are you of the aleprechaun belief system? What does aleprechaunism teach you?

MJBrutus on June 28, 2011 at 9:49 AM

pseudoforce on June 28, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Correct. But that doesn’t prevent others from making up falsehoods and attacking atheists on that basis.

MJBrutus on June 28, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Again, then why aren’t all Muslims rabid blood thirsty killers? Islam is used by evil men with evil intent. Mohammed used Islam to advance his empire, his power.

If atheism never is, then why do godless societies purge anyone who isn’t godless?

So your answer to them is to insult them. In essence, that’s all atheism ever does.

MJBrutus on June 28, 2011 at 9:49 AM

eh? Atheism is a belief. You cannot prove God doesn’t exist, therefore you have faith that you are right.

You believe there is no God.

darwin on June 28, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Some act on what the religion teaches and some don’t. Some interpret their religious books differently from others. Some don’t really believe. Some are more repulsed by killing than heresy. Some …

Your premise is wrong. Some godless societies are dictatorial and cruel. Some aren’t. None of them are because they are godless. Are aleprechaunists blood-thirsty megalomaniacs? What if I told you that the “Book of Rainbows” (the holy text of Leprechaunists) teaches that you shouldn’t kill? Would that mean that aleprechaunists are killers?

You believe there is no God.

darwin on June 28, 2011 at 10:08 AM

I don’t think it an insult to call a tale a tale. It isn’t always polite but I was responding to a pointlessly rude post.

When you can prove that leprechauns don’t exist I’ll talk to you about atheism being a faith.

Go ahead and take your last licks. I’ve rehashed the argument for you as much as I care to this AM.

MJBrutus on June 28, 2011 at 10:25 AM

MJBrutus on June 28, 2011 at 10:25 AM

When you can prove God doesn’t exist we can continue.

darwin on June 28, 2011 at 10:42 AM

MJBrutus on June 28, 2011 at 9:41 AM

I wasn’t attacking atheism. I stated those who “are not in accordance to His will” are considered by God, “proud”; that includes Christians sometimes, too.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on June 28, 2011 at 2:16 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on June 28, 2011 at 8:43 AM

Good for you, Barb. I can’t believe you were the only one. As someone put it recently “something’s in the water supply here”.

God bless.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on June 28, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Aslans Girl on June 28, 2011 at 5:58 AM

You are a terrible evangelist.

steebo77 on June 28, 2011 at 8:38 AM