Bachmann officially makes it official

posted at 1:35 pm on June 27, 2011 by Tina Korbe

It’s not news, but it is official (which makes this one of those “obligatory” posts of which Allah is so fond). Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) today formally announced her intention to seek the presidency of the United States.

Speaking before a hometown crowd at the historic Snowden House in her birthplace of Waterloo, Iowa, Bachmann outlined just why the nation can’t afford another four years under the administration of President Barack Obama — why, in other words, The One must become The-One-Term-President. In her words:

We cannot continue to rack up debt on the backs of future generations. We can’t afford an unconstitutional health plan that costs too much and is worth so little. And we can’t afford four more years of failed leadership at home and abroad. We can’t afford four more years of millions of Americans out of work or in jobs that pay too little to support their families. We can’t afford four more years of a housing crisis that is devaluing our homes and making home ownership impossible for many Americans. We can’t afford four more years of a foreign policy that leads from behind and doesn’t stand up for our friends and stand up to our enemies. We can’t afford four more years of Barack Obama.

The line proved effective at the primary debate in New Hampshire two weeks ago and it has since become Bachmann’s catchphrase: “Barack Obama is a one-term president!”

But Bachmann spoke just as smoothly about who she is, rightfully reiterating her work in Congress and confidently claiming her connection to the Tea Party:

In Washington, I am bringing a voice to the halls of Congress that has been missing for a long time. It is the voice of the people I love and learned from growing up in Waterloo. It is the voice of reasonable, fair-minded people who love this country, who are patriotic and who see the United States as the indispensable nation of the world.

My voice is part of a movement to take back our country, and now I want to take that voice to the White House. It is the voice of constitutional conservatives who want our government to do its job and not ours and who want our government to live within its means and not our children’s and grandchildren’s.

I am here in Waterloo, Iowa, to announce today: We can win in 2012 and we will. Our voice has been growing louder and stronger. And it is made up of Americans from all walks of life like a three-legged stool. It’s the peace through strength Republicans, and I’m one of them, it’s fiscal conservatives, and I’m one of them, and it’s social conservatives, and I’m one of them. It’s the Tea Party movement and I’m one of them.

The liberals, and to be clear I’m NOT one of them, want you to think the Tea Party is the Right Wing of the Republican Party. But it’s not. It’s made up of disaffected Democrats, independents, people who’ve never been political a day in their life, libertarians, Republicans. We’re people who simply want America back on the right track again.

Her speech sounded the right note — and, so far, it seems like Iowans like her. A new Des Moines Register Iowa Poll of likely participants in the state’s Republican presidential caucuses showed Bachmann neck-and-neck with former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney. Romney garnered 23 percent of the vote. Bachmann, close behind, garnered 22 percent.

At least one political analyst finds that notable. “The surprise here is how quickly Michele Bachmann is catching on,” Jennifer Duffy, a political analyst with the nonpartisan Cook Political Report of Washington, D.C. said in a blog post on the Des Moines Register website. “To me, she’s the one to watch, not Romney.”

Of course, it’s still very early. According to the same post, just 14 percent of likely Republican caucus-goers say their minds are made up about their choice in the presidential race. Another 14 percent don’t have a first choice yet. Sixty-nine percent say they could be persuaded to support a candidate other than their first choice.

Should Texas Gov. Rick Perry decide to run, for example, early polls in Iowa could be completely moot. As conservative columnist George Will put it on ABC’s “This Week” Sunday, “Iowa is made for a showdown between Rick Perry, who has Texas job creation, to match Romney and he has Michele Bachmann’s rapport with Evangelical Christians, who are 60 percent of the participants in the Iowa caucuses.” That is, Perry might be able to appeal equally to fiscal and social conservatives, whereas a candidate like Bachmann tends to be pinned to social issues, however unfairly (she did, for example, stand firm against TARP, even when other conservatives caved).

Plus, Bachmann still has to contend with a popular perception that she somehow lacks seriousness. Just yesterday, for example, as was much discussed, Fox News’ Chris Wallace asked her directly, “Are you a flake?” — a question no other candidate seems likely to have to field. (Wallace later apologized.)

But Bachmann’s making inroads — and, as always, her words and actions speak for themselves.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Bingo. I think unseen’s comment was out of line but it was hardly the worst I’ve ever, ever seen here in attempts to trash. And I’ve never called for anyone to be banned.

pseudoforce on June 27, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Yes well it was quite cheesy, and considering unseen has said that anyone who citicises Palin, on the issues, or on her resignation, or anything non-personal. is deriving their criticisms from lefty blogs, I find it quite humorous that he is himself using a left-wing type attack that has been used previously on Bachmann.

Dreadnought on June 27, 2011 at 5:51 PM

(I hit send accidently previously)

Dreadnought on June 27, 2011 at 5:54 PM

You’ve said some pretty unsavory things about Palin and her supporters in the past. I never hold them against you, trying to bludgeon you into submission with them.

steebo77 on June 27, 2011 at 5:30 PM

The only “unsavory” things I’ve said about Palin is she needs a voice coach and she’s not quick on her feet. Oh the humanity of me voicing my opinion!

That is not unsavory and comes nowhere close to what your dirtbag buddy implied last night.

Knucklehead on June 27, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Dreadnought on June 27, 2011 at 5:54 PM

I enjoy reminding unseen of that little gem of his, too. Goes right over his little head, though.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on June 27, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Knucklehead on June 27, 2011 at 5:55 PM

What about your dirtbag buddies, Knucklehypocrite?

steebo77 on June 27, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Are you Trig Truther? Because you keep linking to that site.

steebo77 on June 27, 2011 at 5:24 PM

It’s very simple. Look at the picture of Palin taken five weeks before the birth of Trig and tell me if she looks three months pregnant for five.

She’s seven months pregnant in that picture.

Who are you going to believe, Palin or your lying eyes?

I won’t comment any further on the issue on this thread. I will only say that if she does run, the question of Trig’s birth will be unavoidable. I hope she runs, if only for that reason.

Ok, I’m out of here.

chumpThreads on June 27, 2011 at 5:57 PM

I see unsane is still digging in his heels. I’m glad to see he hasn’t put the shovel down yet.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on June 27, 2011 at 5:57 PM

That’s “three months pregnant or five”.

chumpThreads on June 27, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Ok, I’m out of here.

chumpThreads on June 27, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Okay. See you later Andrew.

Kataklysmic on June 27, 2011 at 6:00 PM

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on June 27, 2011 at 5:57 PM

“Unsane” isn’t a word.

steebo77 on June 27, 2011 at 6:01 PM

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on June 27, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Yes, and “unseen” is the first one to accuse anyone of not sticking to the issues even when they criticize Palin’s record in Alaska, or her resignation. Then “unseen” goes into personal attack “truther” territory himself on Bachmann. You can’t make this stuff up.

Conservatives4Palin will always tell you what conservative they fear the most.

Dreadnought on June 27, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Okay. See you later Andrew.

Kataklysmic on June 27, 2011 at 6:00 PM

LOL!..:)

Dire Straits on June 27, 2011 at 6:02 PM

steebo77 on June 27, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Poetic license.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on June 27, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Poetic license.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on June 27, 2011 at 6:05 PM

well you all are good at making crap up i’ll give you that.

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Poetic license.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on June 27, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Indeed you are a poetess.

-steebo77

steebo77 on June 27, 2011 at 6:09 PM

What about your dirtbag buddies, Knucklehypocrite?

steebo77 on June 27, 2011 at 5:57 PM

I speak for myself and no one else. You should try it, you’d have more credibility. Instead, you follow people around with fly swatter knocking down anyone who makes a legitimate criticism of Palin.

It’s unbecoming of you, as I always thought you were better than that. I look forward to your next swat. I won’t be responding.

Knucklehead on June 27, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Palin and Bachmannn aren’t rivals. Palin outshines Bachmann on every level.

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:46 PM

How true!

Bachmann, nor any other Republican presidential candidate, can hold a candle to Palin’s abilities at so cannily mimicking the speech patterns of an impatient, hyperactive high school girl from some unspecified Alaskan valley, and at metallically shrieking like Robert Plant when he’s at his worst.

You’d think that someone at her age would have figured out by now how out of step her peculiar vocal stylings are compared to average adults around her, wouldn’t you? It’s almost as though she’s intentionally resisting making an effort to sound like a normal grownup, isn’t it? Weird. Just like the most devoted members of her Cult are! :)

Bizarro No. 1 on June 27, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Seems I’ve struck a nerve… LOL.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on June 27, 2011 at 6:14 PM

If the fly swatter is facts, figures, links to legislation, etc., is that a bad thing?

Knucklehead on June 27, 2011 at 6:13 PM

You swatted first.

steebo77 on June 27, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Bizarro No. 1 on June 27, 2011 at 6:14 PM

you never listend to a speech have you?

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 6:19 PM

did the town of waterloo have to close main street for Bachmann’s speech like the town of pella has to close theirs for the Palin movie premere?

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 6:28 PM

I can not believe people are making such a big deal out of what Wallace said. I watched the interview and it seemed to me that he was actually giving her an opportunity to respond to her detractors. People have become impossibly sensitive. As a matter of fact, I would say that Palin and Paul have both been asked questions like that and Romney has been treated like a fraud and a Rino on a regular basis.

BTW, the whole thing about who was born in Waterloo, John Wayne or John Wayne Gasey the serial killer is typical of the kind of mistakes that human beings make. People need to stop dwelling on stuff like this. It happens.

Terrye on June 27, 2011 at 6:40 PM

You swatted first.

steebo77 on June 27, 2011 at 6:16 PM

No, that would be me. Got a problem with that?

katy the mean old lady on June 27, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Terrye on June 27, 2011 at 6:40 PM

It really isn’t a big deal, but taking little things like that and blowing them all out of proportion is the new reality. For further info: See Sarah Palin.

darwin on June 27, 2011 at 6:48 PM

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Another childish statement from our resident dirtbag.

Knucklehead on June 27, 2011 at 6:49 PM

No, that would be me. Got a problem with that?

katy the mean old lady on June 27, 2011 at 6:41 PM

I was talking about last night, when Knucklehead jumped all over me just because I pointed out that unseen’s original comment was vague and could be interpreted several different ways. I’ve never had a problem with you (even though you are a mean old lady).

steebo77 on June 27, 2011 at 6:50 PM

first off I implied no such thing. If you read the post in question I explained my remark.

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Hmm, yes, you tried to pass that off as constructive criticism. Then when no one bought that BS, you started claiming they were too stupid to understand your intent (mighy amusing, given your penchant for attacking “elitists”).

THEN, when all the above failed, you started claiming it was a joke which people misinterpreted.

I’m proud of you, unseen. I knew eventually you’d completely unravel, and you haven’t disappointed. I thought it would happen when Palin announces she’s not running, but you broke a lot earlier than I expected – perhaps it was when Bachmann’s star began to rise by effectively becoming the “thinking man’s Palin.”

Vyce on June 27, 2011 at 6:54 PM

Vyce on June 27, 2011 at 6:54 PM

PDS

idesign on June 27, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Vyce on June 27, 2011 at 6:54 PM

Well, at least when you insult you do it smoothly. A non-thinking man might not know he was just insulted.

darwin on June 27, 2011 at 6:57 PM

My opinion is that we already have one President with no executive experience that was elected based on nothing but rhetoric and ideology.

We don’t need to repeat that mistake.

crosspatch on June 27, 2011 at 7:20 PM

We don’t need to repeat that mistake.

crosspatch on June 27, 2011 at 7:20 PM

I agree. Entirely. I like and respect Bachmann, and think she can play an extremely important role in the future of this country. But she’s not remotely ready to be president. I want her to stay on the front lines and continue to keep both the Democrats and Republicans on guard and on their toes, because she’s good at that. But she should not be doing it from the White House.

WesternActor on June 27, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Knucklehead on June 27, 2011 at 6:49 PM

I hope you understand your posts ar ehighlighting your character more than my posts ever could. So keep up the good works.

And btw still waiting for the explanation on why you wanted to know about my children.

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Vyce on June 27, 2011 at 6:54 PM

are you really that stupid?

boy all you anti palin people should get a phd in making crap up.

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Terrye on June 27, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Now that’s an honest assessment but don’t expect honesty from Bachmann palooza going on here.

promachus on June 27, 2011 at 7:34 PM

PDS

idesign on June 27, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Would friggin get a life.

CW on June 27, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Would you?

CW on June 27, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Terrye on June 27, 2011 at 6:40 PM

I think he asked the question more like Maury Povich than a professional interviewer but I don’t think it was that big of deal. We all know neither he nor the other well known interviewers would not have used such a tactic with OBAMA.

CW on June 27, 2011 at 7:38 PM

steebo77 on June 27, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Peace, bro.

katy the mean old lady on June 27, 2011 at 7:40 PM

And like a three legged stool, knock out one support and over she goes. Can she have worked FOR carter in 1976, prayed and protested outside abortion clinics in the 80′s, started a charter school and tried to make it a christian school in the 90′s,hide behind bushes at gay protests in the 00′s? What does she do to top that in the 10′s?

You think she won’t get shredded being all the map like that? Liberals haven’t a clue what makes us great and how to keep us that way, but they’re not stupid, and they know how to win elections by hook or by crook.

MarkT on June 27, 2011 at 7:42 PM

“thinking man’s Palin.”

Vyce on June 27, 2011 at 6:54 PM

A thinking man wouldn’t tie their horse to Bachmann.

Politically speaking, she’s the least accomplished of all the candidates, accept for Cain.

Sparkles fizzle out after the 4th of July.

CTSherman on June 27, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Vyce on June 27, 2011 at 6:54 PM

You summed it up pretty well..:)

Dire Straits on June 27, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Vyce on June 27, 2011 at 6:54 PM

LOL…if it weren’t for Palin you’d be pissing on Bachmann too.

pseudoforce on June 27, 2011 at 9:32 PM

Bizarro No. 1 on June 27, 2011 at 6:14 PM

I had to laugh at your description, although I suspect my Western NY-crossed-with-Connecticut accent is just as off-putting to some people.

Dreadnought on June 27, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Jump on in…

Gohawgs on June 28, 2011 at 3:35 AM

She’s seven months pregnant in that picture.

Who are you going to believe, Palin or your lying eyes?

Ok, I’m out of here.

chumpThreads on June 27, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Are you applying for the position of carrying Andrew Sullivan’s jock strap?…

Gohawgs on June 28, 2011 at 3:37 AM

For those of you that have been harping on unseen for his comment about MB and the foster kids, I don’t see any harping on chump for his Trig truther comment. Is your outrage selective based upon the politician or on the HA commenter or both?…

Gohawgs on June 28, 2011 at 3:43 AM

Gohawgs on June 28, 2011 at 3:43 AM

HELLO…ANYONE OUT THERE????

She’s seven months pregnant in that picture.

Who are you going to believe, Palin or your lying eyes?

Ok, I’m out of here.