Bachmann officially makes it official

posted at 1:35 pm on June 27, 2011 by Tina Korbe

It’s not news, but it is official (which makes this one of those “obligatory” posts of which Allah is so fond). Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) today formally announced her intention to seek the presidency of the United States.

Speaking before a hometown crowd at the historic Snowden House in her birthplace of Waterloo, Iowa, Bachmann outlined just why the nation can’t afford another four years under the administration of President Barack Obama — why, in other words, The One must become The-One-Term-President. In her words:

We cannot continue to rack up debt on the backs of future generations. We can’t afford an unconstitutional health plan that costs too much and is worth so little. And we can’t afford four more years of failed leadership at home and abroad. We can’t afford four more years of millions of Americans out of work or in jobs that pay too little to support their families. We can’t afford four more years of a housing crisis that is devaluing our homes and making home ownership impossible for many Americans. We can’t afford four more years of a foreign policy that leads from behind and doesn’t stand up for our friends and stand up to our enemies. We can’t afford four more years of Barack Obama.

The line proved effective at the primary debate in New Hampshire two weeks ago and it has since become Bachmann’s catchphrase: “Barack Obama is a one-term president!”

But Bachmann spoke just as smoothly about who she is, rightfully reiterating her work in Congress and confidently claiming her connection to the Tea Party:

In Washington, I am bringing a voice to the halls of Congress that has been missing for a long time. It is the voice of the people I love and learned from growing up in Waterloo. It is the voice of reasonable, fair-minded people who love this country, who are patriotic and who see the United States as the indispensable nation of the world.

My voice is part of a movement to take back our country, and now I want to take that voice to the White House. It is the voice of constitutional conservatives who want our government to do its job and not ours and who want our government to live within its means and not our children’s and grandchildren’s.

I am here in Waterloo, Iowa, to announce today: We can win in 2012 and we will. Our voice has been growing louder and stronger. And it is made up of Americans from all walks of life like a three-legged stool. It’s the peace through strength Republicans, and I’m one of them, it’s fiscal conservatives, and I’m one of them, and it’s social conservatives, and I’m one of them. It’s the Tea Party movement and I’m one of them.

The liberals, and to be clear I’m NOT one of them, want you to think the Tea Party is the Right Wing of the Republican Party. But it’s not. It’s made up of disaffected Democrats, independents, people who’ve never been political a day in their life, libertarians, Republicans. We’re people who simply want America back on the right track again.

Her speech sounded the right note — and, so far, it seems like Iowans like her. A new Des Moines Register Iowa Poll of likely participants in the state’s Republican presidential caucuses showed Bachmann neck-and-neck with former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney. Romney garnered 23 percent of the vote. Bachmann, close behind, garnered 22 percent.

At least one political analyst finds that notable. “The surprise here is how quickly Michele Bachmann is catching on,” Jennifer Duffy, a political analyst with the nonpartisan Cook Political Report of Washington, D.C. said in a blog post on the Des Moines Register website. “To me, she’s the one to watch, not Romney.”

Of course, it’s still very early. According to the same post, just 14 percent of likely Republican caucus-goers say their minds are made up about their choice in the presidential race. Another 14 percent don’t have a first choice yet. Sixty-nine percent say they could be persuaded to support a candidate other than their first choice.

Should Texas Gov. Rick Perry decide to run, for example, early polls in Iowa could be completely moot. As conservative columnist George Will put it on ABC’s “This Week” Sunday, “Iowa is made for a showdown between Rick Perry, who has Texas job creation, to match Romney and he has Michele Bachmann’s rapport with Evangelical Christians, who are 60 percent of the participants in the Iowa caucuses.” That is, Perry might be able to appeal equally to fiscal and social conservatives, whereas a candidate like Bachmann tends to be pinned to social issues, however unfairly (she did, for example, stand firm against TARP, even when other conservatives caved).

Plus, Bachmann still has to contend with a popular perception that she somehow lacks seriousness. Just yesterday, for example, as was much discussed, Fox News’ Chris Wallace asked her directly, “Are you a flake?” — a question no other candidate seems likely to have to field. (Wallace later apologized.)

But Bachmann’s making inroads — and, as always, her words and actions speak for themselves.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There’s always an “explanation” isn’t there.

tencole on June 27, 2011 at 4:33 PM

I make no excuses for the stupidity of not fact-checking up front. It’s as if the Obama-machine is at work.

However, your reaction and ignorance, not you in specific, the gaggle’s, are incredible.

Palin/Bachmann/Perry, in any combination and running with anyone else. All other are distractions.

It used to be that HA was a reasonable place for civilized discussions. It has become a waste of time, only good for HA Capitalism. For that reason, and because all are free to be also foolish (it’s one item the Soldiers die for) I support what is going on here. It is still very shameful and the consequences s/b dire.

Schadenfreude on June 27, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Schadenfreude on June 27, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Okay, tell me that MB isn’t being hypocritical when HER hired hand spews hateful lies….one of them about the seriousness of a candidate….then turns around and will not accept an apology from someone accusing her of the same thing.

I find that hypocritical…don’t you??

tencole on June 27, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Trying to set up Palin and Bachmann as rivals won’t help anyone, least of all the country.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 4:28 PM

The media and the GOP establishment have already done that.

NoNails on June 27, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Yep the folks at MSNBC are rubbing their hands together they want to see Bachmann vs Palin fight, hoping it will hurt the Tea Party ( Who flexed their muscles in the last mid term elections) The dumba$$es don’t get it neither Palin nor Bachmann are the Tea Party. The target is the Tea Party – we are the ones who vote. It doesn’t help that “Ed Rollins” is a liability not an asset, and he is a routine regular on MSNBC. Bachmann is ambitious, she aspires to higher office -she trades off for face time. She’s not getting there stepping on my Tea Partying Back. My eye is on the ball the focus is getting a fiscal conservative seated in the Oval Office. That’s not going to be Bachmann, but she’s hoping she’s gonna be on the ticket.

Dr Evil on June 27, 2011 at 4:39 PM

That you all help the media is disgusting.

Schadenfreude on June 27, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Isn’t it?!
And as with Palin’s “gaffes” like the Paul Revere brouhaha, none of it is substantive criticism of Bachmann on the issues.
However, it seems 0bama is taking her seriously:
Obama Campaign Says a Bachmann Presidency Would ‘Erode the Path to Prosperity for Middle Class Families’

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 4:39 PM

tencole on June 27, 2011 at 4:38 PM

I already said today that I never liked Ed R. and that she should fire him, the sooner the better.

Schadenfreude on June 27, 2011 at 4:39 PM

yeah i think Timmy benefits from this.

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:37 PM

He scumbag still standing by this big trash Bachmann stuff?

How much government money did she get for those 23 foster kids. Doesn’t the government pay you to take in foster kids?

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 12:15 AM

Crickets from the dirtbag you are.

Knucklehead on June 27, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Jenfidel, we’ve had words in the past, over similar emotional threads, like the ridiculous scumbag that S. Palin’s ‘son in law’ is, but I really, really appreciate your fortitude and fighting spirit.

You are a staunch Palin supporter. Yet, you can see the harm this does to this side. Thank you for being here. Don’t go away for too long.

Schadenfreude on June 27, 2011 at 4:43 PM

I’m not so good with math …. how does four equal three ??

I’ll be in the bushes watching and waiting for an answer …..

Jerome Horwitz on June 27, 2011 at 4:43 PM

I strongly suspect that those hanging on their harangue of Rollins aren’t Palin supporters, conservatives or even Republicans.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 3:43 PM

I that case, let me be the latest to inform you that your suspicions are utterly without merit. I’d strongly recommend you go get yourself a new set of “suspicions,” but this time you might want to chose one that are less fanciful and based on fact.

As a long time NJ resident, I know about Ed Rollins and his particular brand of careless and damaging politics.

As an example, I suggest you should check into the details of the extensive damage that he caused to the incoming Whitman Administration in 1993 by publicly and gratuitously lying immediately following the election.

Look into it.

It was something Representative Bachman should have taken into account when she made the ill-considered decision to hire him in the first place.

Both federal and State investigations were launched here as a result of racially-charged comments made by Rollins, in which he strongly and falsely suggested that voter suppression tactics had been employed by the Whitman campaign to keep the vote down in minority urban areas of the State. They were comments which Rollins had to eventually and fully recant to investigators under oath.

The investigations indeed concluded that they were lies, but not before several months of transition time was hobbled by the ongoing probes.

Trochilus on June 27, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Very good. BLUF, it was Pappy Bush’s turn not RWR, but the people chose him. After all the spewing by Pappy about voodoo-economics and all, I would have much rather had Jack Kemp. That would be the dream team considering all the contenders at the time. Pappy & Ford were from the NE Rockefellerian cabal, so RWR had to take Bush as the compromise. Much like McVain had to take Palin.

This time around, if we want a conservative top/bottom ticket, the RINO/CINOs have to be soundly defeated during the primaries that the top 2 or 3 vote getters have to be conservatives, otherwise our conservative champion will be forced to take on Mittens or Huntsman as a consolation to the RINOs. If you care about the decline of America, Mittens, Huntsman, Pataki or even Rudy are not the electables you’re looking for.

AH_C on June 27, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Gacy wasn’t born in Waterloo; he only spent some time there.
The MSM is really reaching for that one.

It’s MB doing the reaching if she’s comparing herself to Wayne AND claiming incorrectly that she and he are from the same town.

It’s not the worst mistake ever made by someone running for President. But it’s sure not the story she wants following her announcement.

Missy on June 27, 2011 at 4:43 PM

unseen, you destort any news, any facts, to mold them toward your single-focused aim. You are no better than the Obama-azzcrawling media. I know you can do way better and laud you when you are right. See heandlines Pawlenty thread.

Schadenfreude on June 27, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Crickets from the dirtbag you are.

Knucklehead on June 27, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Good grief … you have target fixation or something? It’s getting kinda creepy.

darwin on June 27, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Jack Kemp would have been a much better choice as VP.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 4:23 PM

The Jack Kemp that was pro-amnesty and significantly expanded the growth of Section 8 housing subsidies as the head of HUD under Bush41? That Jack Kemp?

Remembering back to 1980 and, yes, I am that old, there may not have been any good choices for VP. In fact, I just used one of them thar search engines that you keep talking abount (but seem unable to use) and took a look at the Republicans in the Senate in 1980. It made me want to gag.

bw222 on June 27, 2011 at 4:45 PM

So long as at least one conservative is in the race, we’re good to go.
Playing off these two ladies when Palin hasn’t even declared yet is extremely counterproductive!
I’m a little surprised and disappointed that you would do so.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Palin and Bachmannn aren’t rivals. Palin outshines Bachmann on every level. The only reason I have seen Bachmann supports give to support Bachmann over Palin is that Bachmann has “less baggage” which from the evidence is 100% false. Bachmann is not ready to be POTUS. She has no acconmplihmnets, she has no executive experience, no foreign polcy experience, no experience with bugets, with spending, with emplyee relationships, no experience running a natioanl campaign, no indepth knowledge of the issues. She is Obama in a skirt. And I find it distastful that Bachmann is even considered a serious candidate and if not for the establishment trying to set Bachmann up as the antiPalin the MSM would laugh Bachmann off the stage.

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Hey everybody…!

… There is a guy named Brack Hussein Obowma that is going to be running for President of the United States in 2012.

Anyone ever heard of the guy…?

Seven Percent Solution on June 27, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Schadenfreude on June 27, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Thanks for your kind words!:-)
I do what I can to help turn our country back around to Greatness, but too often this site is filled with OT teenage troll fights and personal chat on every thread.
It’s way past time for Ed and AP to impose some discipline.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Schadenfreude on June 27, 2011 at 4:44 PM

yawn. You just did what you accuse me of doing. there is a word for that…..

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Knucklehead on June 27, 2011 at 4:40 PM

I’m still waiting for you to explain your question to me in that thread coward.

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:49 PM

It’s way past time for Ed and AP to impose some discipline.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Why? They know a good-for-business thing when they see one. I don’t blame them one iota.

Schadenfreude on June 27, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Schadenfreude on June 27, 2011 at 4:39 PM

I think that’s what people are reacting to Ed Rollins directing Bachmann’s campaign. It’s not Bachmann, but the optics Rollins is creating. Ed Rollins is managing the campaign for Bachmann who identifies Tea Party, but Rollins doesn’t respect the Tea Party movement so he is alienating Bachmann’s support. I suppose it’s too late for her to do anything about him.

Make no mistake the media’s target is the TEA PARTY It’s self.

I guess Bachmann thinks she can handle the LSM. I am not so sure, they are prepping the battlefield. They want a Palin vs Bachmann rivalry. 1. for ratings and 2. they hope it fragments the Tea Party, and undermines their voting power in the 2012 election. Face it the Tea Party isn’t going to be voting for Obama CNN and MSNBC’s pick.

Dr Evil on June 27, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Good grief … you have target fixation or something? It’s getting kinda creepy.

darwin on June 27, 2011 at 4:44 PM

No, she’s merely brining attention to what a vile human being he is.

katy the mean old lady on June 27, 2011 at 4:50 PM

It’s way past time for Ed and AP to impose some discipline.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 4:47 PM

That horse you’re on … it’s mighty high. Especially considering your past on Hot Air. You’re not exactly a gentle dove.

darwin on June 27, 2011 at 4:50 PM

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:47 PM

My sigle-focused aim is to win in 2012.

Palin/Bachmann/Perry, with West or any among themselves w/b just fine by me. There is too much energy wasted on little things, helping the thugs on the other side.

Schadenfreude on June 27, 2011 at 4:51 PM

She is Obama in a skirt.

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:46 PM

If this is to be believed as your real opinion, no one should ever take you seriously again.
Bachmann couldn’t be less like 0bama: I have followed her now for years, including her House votes and speeches.
She is a solid, real conservative Republican.

Yes, Palin has it over Bachmann in terms of having an excellent record of executive experience, but that being said, Bachmann is just as strongly for conservative, Tea Party values as Palin and has so voted in the House.
And Palin’s not in the race…yet.
Bachmann’s biggest problems are being a Congressperson (only 1 has ever been elected to POTUS) and not having name recognition with the electorate.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Obama’s got a law degree…LOL

idesign on June 27, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Big difference, -little Bammie’s degree is a double-A degree. It’s not worth the pretty parchment paper that it is printed on.

slickwillie2001 on June 27, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Schadenfreude on June 27, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Maybe this will explain it better:

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Make no mistake the media’s target is the TEA PARTY It’s self.

Dr Evil on June 27, 2011 at 4:49 PM

+ millions

Schadenfreude on June 27, 2011 at 4:52 PM

darwin on June 27, 2011 at 4:50 PM

I have no idea what you’re talking about.
I’m not ashamed of my “past” on HA or any place else.
In fact, to discuss it is silly.
You do realize you’re making another personal attack on me, which only proves my point.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Bachmann may be a wild-eyed, right-wing yahoo, but at least she has the courage to face reporters and take questions, unlike a certain Quitter whose name I won’t mention.

chumpThreads on June 27, 2011 at 3:47 PM

I’m curious to know what quitter you are referring to, since it’s obviously not Palin.

From the Los Angeles Times:

Palin’s exclusive contract with Fox News – where she makes $1 million annually as a contributor in a three-year deal set to go through 2012 – prohibits her from appearing on other television networks.

She works for Fox, and just as with any employee or someone on contract with another network, she is contractually obliged NOT to speak to others,” Van Susteren wrote on her blog Monday, adding: “As far as I know, her contract is like every other media contract and that means it would be a breach of contract to speak to other media outlets.”

But the onetime Republican vice presidential nominee appears to be testing the limits of her deal with Fox, amiably chatting with members of the press — including television reporters — who mob her when she clambers off the bus.

Among the media outlets covering Palin’s tour are networks such as CNN and NBC, along with a host of local television stations. And the former Alaska governor has not appeared to make any effort to duck the cameras as they race alongside her. Instead, she has congenially fielded questions from microphone-wielding reporters.

When asked whether Palin was breaking the terms of her contract, Fox News maintained that her chitchat with reporters did not constitute a violation because she has merely been answering questions in a public setting, as opposed to sitting down with television outlets for formal interviews.

Man, it really sucks when someone trots out some mean old facts to get in the way of your tired meme, doesn’t it?

Kataklysmic on June 27, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Sorry Dr. Evil, was supposed to be a quote.

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Paling/Bachmann and Perry are smarter. They will support each other. They like each other and they like the country more than their own power.

Schadenfreude on June 27, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Obama gave good speeches too. Bachmann is the rights Obama. Maybe she would make a better POTUs than Obama at least she is on the right sides of the issues. but from a resume standpoint she is Obama. She was a state senator and now a vcongresswoman. Obama was a state senaotr than a senator. they both give good speeches, both have the talking points down but neither have done anything.

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:54 PM

It’s way past time for Ed and AP to impose some discipline.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Why yes it is.

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 12:15 AM

This place needs to be rid of scumbags who trash people this way.

Knucklehead on June 27, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Quit calling Bachmann “wide/crazy-eyed”. It’s a liberal meme.

Quit calleing Palin a “quitter”.

Both are great/strong ladies. We are lucky to have them. Fight with them, not against either.

Schadenfreude on June 27, 2011 at 4:55 PM

No, she’s merely brining attention to what a vile human being he is.

katy the mean old lady on June 27, 2011 at 4:50 PM

I’m sorry … this is a political blog, and we’re talking about candidates for president of the US. When real campaigning starts for the nomination “vile humans” will be crawling all over this blog as people defend their choices and attack their opposition.

darwin on June 27, 2011 at 4:55 PM

You’re reading wayyyyyyyy too much into this.
Anyone who knows both Reagan and Bush 41 knows that Bush wasn’t nearly as conservative as Reagan and that Jack Kemp would have been a much better choice as VP.
That being said, we’re not in Reagan’s shoes, facing the Oval Office and the job ahead that Ronaldus Magnus did.
I wouldn’t begin to be able to plummet Reagan’s deepest thoughts on the matter nor would you.
I loved RR and still do.
Bush 41? Not so much.
Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Well, no, none of us know what Reagan was thinking, but we can take him at his word for what he wrote in his biography. Perhaps Kemp was the best choice but choosing Bush brought the Party together in a way Kemp might not have. And by choosing Bush, he brought moderate Republicans and eventually convinced conservative Democrats together to work on getting the economy rolling again.

Reagan was forced to put Bush 41 on the ticket by the 1980 GOP convention delegates.
Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 2:48 PM

So then this original post is your opinion based on events that occured in 1980. The GOP convention delegates didn’t “force” Reagan to do anything. He made a political calculation to bring the GOP together.

Mr_Magoo on June 27, 2011 at 4:56 PM

This place needs to be rid of scumbags who trash people this way.

Knucklehead on June 27, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Let me only say that I find it pretty nasty and disgusting.
What passes for “political discourse” around here is pretty sad too much of the time and far from substantive and thoughtful.
I’ve always assumed it was allowed because either AP and/or Ed secretly agreed with such type of “discourse.”

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 4:53 PM

I personally don’t give a shyt what you think. I realize you have multiple personalities and you’re passive/aggressive, then aggressive, then passive.

darwin on June 27, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Schadenfreude on June 27, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Maybe maybe not. you are inferring. They are on the same side of the issues and all three bring pluses and negatives to the table. Perry has a strong resume but he has some questions, Bachmann gives a good talking point speech but she has a very very weak resume. Palin has “it” plus a strong record.

My support would be
Palin
Perry
Bachmann

let me be clear I do not think Bachmann has the resume to be POTUS.

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 4:58 PM

In his defense, AP closed such a nasty thread, in the last week.

Schadenfreude on June 27, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Mr_Magoo on June 27, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Whatever, Mr. M.
This is OT and I don’t want to discuss it any more on this thread.
It’s still a (relatively) free country: think what you like.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Good grief … you have target fixation or something? It’s getting kinda creepy.

darwin on June 27, 2011 at 4:44 PM

So you agree with that kind of trash talk?

Good to know.

Knucklehead on June 27, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Like a President, who will remain unamed, Bachmann has served in Congress less than five years, has no executive experience experience (managing anything bigger than her staff) and has never sponsored a bill that has become law.

Bachmann’s only executive experience has been overseeing her Congressional staff and she had six chiefs of staff in the first four years. Her chiefs of staff averaged 8 months.

Here’s the link via ona them thar search engines.

bw222 on June 27, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Schadenfreude on June 27, 2011 at 4:54 PM

I wouldn’t worry about Bachmann and the media so much, but she’s barely out of the gate, and she’s not just drawing fire from the Left. Ed Rollins’ direction has people shooting at her from inside the tent. I don’t think that’s a coincidence as much as it planned by Rollins.

Dr Evil on June 27, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Knucklehead on June 27, 2011 at 4:55 PM

still being deflecting I see

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 5:02 PM

So you agree with that kind of trash talk?

Good to know.

Knucklehead on June 27, 2011 at 5:00 PM

You really are a knucklehead.

darwin on June 27, 2011 at 5:03 PM

let me be clear I do not think Bachmann has the resume to be POTUS.

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:58 PM

I know 0bama doesn’t have the resumé to be POTUS and yet he is.

Palin’s fantastic, but she’s not a candidate today.
Bachmann is in the race and her resume as a woman, wife, mother and Congressperson is fairly outstanding.
Perry has quite a few negatives on his record and his past that neither Palin nor Perry do.
There is serious question as to how much of a conservative Perry is…or even if he’s a Republican.
The man was a Democrat until 1988 (not even a Reagan Democrat!) and he ran AlGore’s campaign in TX then, too.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 5:03 PM

This place needs to be rid of scumbags who trash people this way.

Knucklehead on June 27, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Come on, Knucklehead. I don’t agree with a lot of things that other Palin supporters have said but I don’t want to see them banned anymore than I want to see People like Meredith, Petunia, Moesart, KeepTheChange, etc. banned who constantly attack Palin personally. I know that there is no love lost between you and unseen, but is his statement really the most offensive thing you have seen posted here since the last time someone was banned? I know for me, it definitely isn’t.

Kataklysmic on June 27, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Mr_Magoo on June 27, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Kemp would have been 10 times the POTUS that Bush the 1st was. And i think Kemp would have tried to at least keep some of Reagan’s policies in force.

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 4:58 PM

You should read the entire thing from the beginning and find out who the rest of the dirtbags were that were making excuses for the scumbags remarks.

Knucklehead on June 27, 2011 at 5:05 PM

AH_C on June 27, 2011 at 4:43 PM

And yet somehow, RWR made it work. Gramm-Latta budget resolution passed the House unanimously by GOP including 63 Democrats who defied Tip O’Neil’s threats. (H/T RWR: An American Life) Would Kemp have been able to help pull that off? No one knows, because Kemp wasn’t the VP. As Rush would say, I live in literal-ville.”

Mr_Magoo on June 27, 2011 at 5:06 PM

My support would be
Palin
Perry
Bachmann

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Perry’s not running (yet), either.
I have serious problems with him–he’s been my Governor for 10 years with varying degrees of success.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Knucklehead on June 27, 2011 at 5:05 PM

I can guess.
The Usual Suspects.
HA is dominated by the same hateful groups of trolls virtually all the time.
Until or unless Ed and AP hire a maid or a better cop, such is the nature of the site.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 5:08 PM

I know 0bama doesn’t have the resumé to be POTUS and yet he is.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 5:03 PM

and seeing all the mistakes and utter failure that Obama has been why would you want a candidate like that from the right? true some of his mistakes come form his ideology but many of his mistakes come from his lack of experience and his inability to goveren.

Obamacare was 1 part ideology and 1 part incompetance. combined they make a terible stew.

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Mr_Magoo on June 27, 2011 at 4:56 PM

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 5:05 PM

I am not defending Bush. My comments have been strictly on the events surrounding the VP choice. You may be right. But as Jenfidel said said, “shoulda, coulda, woulda…”

Mr_Magoo on June 27, 2011 at 5:10 PM

I know for me, it definitely isn’t.

Kataklysmic on June 27, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Impugning Bachmann’s motherhood is pretty low and “unseen” should know better as this has been used multiple times on Palin, too.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Are we going to have to hear about how eeeeeevil unseen is for asking how much taxpayer money Bachmann has been collecting? Honestly, it’s silly. Just silly. You know what else is silly? Calling for the banning of posters based on their reaction to a politician who lacks character. Bachmann lack some real character. I will not be voting for Rep. Bachmann.

Punchenko on June 27, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Perry’s not running (yet), either.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 5:06 PM

both Perry and Palin has said they are thinking hard about running. Both are doing the normal things a potential candidates do. Both are considered candidates until they declare they are not. just like bachmann was considered a potential candidate until she declared. just like Mitt was considered a potential candidate until he declared.

i take Perry and Palin at their word. they both are considering running until they say differently they are in my book included in the field.

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 5:12 PM

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 5:09 PM

I am of the belief that almost 100% of what 0bama does springs from his Leftist ideology.
If you compare his background to Bachmann’s, you are looking at black vs. white, literally.
She is a strong conservative and has voted as such.
0bama is a committed Leftist and has governed as such.
It only looks “incompetent” to the uninformed.
BHO is very competent at implementing the Leftist agenda.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Punchenko on June 27, 2011 at 5:11 PM

If you go back over all my comments since i began at hotair I have never called for someone to be banned. No matter how vile disgusting or out of line they were. never once. some people believe in free speech and some people just want to shut up those that they don’t agree with.

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Mr_Magoo on June 27, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Whatever, Mr. M.
This is OT and I don’t want to discuss it any more on this thread.
It’s still a (relatively) free country: think what you like.
Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Ok. I will.

Mr_Magoo on June 27, 2011 at 5:14 PM

some people just want to shut up those that they don’t agree with.

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 5:14 PM

It’s sad. We are mere having a political discussion and there are those who will go unnamed who want to demonize and ban folks for asking the tough questions.

Punchenko on June 27, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Palin
Perry
McCotter

I don’t dislike Michelle Bachmann, but she’s not blowing sunshine up my skirt. Good Luck to her. But I think her choice of campaign manager, Ed Rollins is uninspired – understatement. I don’t think she has the political heft to take on Obama. She had a chance to show her chops with Chris Wallace and she fumbled. Wallace provided her the ideal opportunity, to tack her detractors’s ears back by having a strong comeback to his question. How she responds to being described as a flake. There are always going to be those questions. When it is the Liberal Media’s turn, they will make hay out of her responses just like they did to Palin, and O’Donnell. Why would the Liberal media change it’s formula for attacking attractive conservative women? Answer: they won’t.

Dr Evil on June 27, 2011 at 5:16 PM

So you agree with that kind of trash talk?

Good to know.

Knucklehead on June 27, 2011 at 5:00 PM

unseen’s comment last night gave you the ammunition you think you need settle perceived scores with various Palin supporters on this site and you are never going to let it go until they are all banned. Pitiful.

steebo77 on June 27, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Punchenko on June 27, 2011 at 5:11 PM

You ever been over to Lucianne. com?
(I like it there and have been posting there for 10 years.)
I’m not calling for anyone to be banned; merely for there to be some discipline about staying OT and that there be no personal attacks and personal chat is kept at a minimum.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 5:16 PM

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 5:05 PM

GOP Senators in 1980 were: Stevens, Goldwater (who was totally into libertarianism by that time), Weiker, Percy, Lugar, Dole, Hatch, Simpson, Cochran, Cohen, Danforth, Domenici, Javits, Hatfield, Packwood, Chaffee (Sr.), Heinz, Schweikert, Baker, Tower, Presser and a number of names I cannot remember.

The only Republican governor from that period that I remember was Michigan’s William Millikin, who sucked canal water.

Not a lot of VP choices

bw222 on June 27, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Quit going off topic by constantly talking about staying on topic. It gets old real fast.

steebo77 on June 27, 2011 at 5:17 PM

You ever been over to Lucianne. com?
(I like it there and have been posting there for 10 years.)

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Everyone is staying on topic. We’ve been vetting Bachmann.

Punchenko on June 27, 2011 at 5:18 PM

After July 27 Palin is no longer liable for frivolous lawsuits in Alaska. Just saying.

bw222 on June 27, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 5:10 PM

I agree with you in this instance. However, as you know, unseen has fought the good fight defending Palin for years and I don’t people should be talking about banning him over one comment. I know people have tried to chase you out of here before also. I didn’t agree with that either.

Kataklysmic on June 27, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 5:13 PM

I disagree 100% on this.

She is a strong conservative and has voted as such.

At times and at other times she has voted the political will of the day like her vote on the patriot act.

0bama is a committed Leftist and has governed as such.

true but he has done so badly. he has punted on important issues, failed to get the country behind him, failed to coral the congress and allowed the congress to write his bills bills which he then had to defend that he knew nothing about. Failed to listen to his generals, allowed himself to be pushed and pulled in whatever direction the loudest voices were. It is a failed leader and most of that has nothing to do with ideology.

It only looks “incompetent” to the uninformed.
BHO is very competent at implementing the Leftist agenda.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 5:13 PM

I disagree 100%. If BHO was a true leader we would be the Soveit union by now.

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 5:19 PM

steebo77 on June 27, 2011 at 5:16 PM

I’m a Palin supporter. I didn’t ask for him to be banned. Palin wouldn’t take the trouble to spit on him.

katy the mean old lady on June 27, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 5:10 PM

I did no such thing.

find me one post where i said bachmann was a bad mother.

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Kataklysmic on June 27, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Fox News contract?
Please tell me how many times she appeared on Sunday morning talk shows during the 2008 campaign? Since then she has sat for t-ball interviews with Hannity and Greta. Even BOR called her out for her non-answers to his easy-peasy questions.

Meme? You betcha!
*She walked away from her elected office on a humbug
*She hasn’t the courage to face the main stream press
*The “Wild Ride” from Texas to Alaska has all the earmarks of a fabrication, and…

“Where’s the Birth Certificate?”

Yeah, I’ve got your “meme” pal!

chumpThreads on June 27, 2011 at 5:21 PM

katy the mean old lady on June 27, 2011 at 5:20 PM

i see you still got your rightous fury up. stoke it somemore but you will morph into an avenging angel.

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Obama is a narcissistic malicious incompetent ideologue, the most dangerous of people.
———

No bannings!

Schadenfreude on June 27, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Then you should start your own political blog so you can control the participation.

Let’s see, so who took us down the 1980 Reagan rabbit hole?

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Mr_Magoo on June 27, 2011 at 5:24 PM

“Where’s the Birth Certificate?”

Yeah, I’ve got your “meme” pal!

chumpThreads on June 27, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Are you Trig Truther? Because you keep linking to that site.

steebo77 on June 27, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Schadenfreude on June 27, 2011 at 1:41 PM

I like the way she’s made this her catch-phrase! It always gets the crowds going.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on June 27, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Not a lot of VP choices

bw222 on June 27, 2011 at 5:17 PM

true. i don’t remember a lot of the other players during that time but the GOP was a the minority
in congress for what 40 years up until reagan.

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 5:26 PM

So you agree with that kind of trash talk?

Good to know.

Knucklehead on June 27, 2011 at 5:00 PM

steebo77 on June 27, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Bingo. I think unseen’s comment was out of line but it was hardly the worst I’ve ever, ever seen here in attempts to trash. And I’ve never called for anyone to be banned.

pseudoforce on June 27, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Mr_Magoo on June 27, 2011 at 5:24 PM

I did…and if you’ll check HA’s own Terms of Service, they state the same thing, they just don’t enforce it.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Hey, there’s a new Palin thread!

Schadenfreude on June 27, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Why is no one who objects to unseen’s question about Bachmann jumping all over chumpThreads constantly linking to a Trig Truther website where they speculate that Palin has had multiple abortions? Isn’t that despicable? (Looking at you, Knucklehypocrite.)

steebo77 on June 27, 2011 at 5:28 PM

steebo77 on June 27, 2011 at 5:16 PM

I don’t want anyone banned, but it needs to be pointed out how low some of you, and yes I mean you also, will go in order to trash someone and then make excuses for it. You tripped all over yourself last night trying to make excuses for that crap post.

Yes, it’s pitiful. You all have forgotten who the real enemy is and what we should really be targeting. And that would be Obama not Michelle Bachmann. But whatever floats your boat.

Knucklehead on June 27, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Knucklehead on June 27, 2011 at 5:28 PM

You’ve said some pretty unsavory things about Palin and her supporters in the past. I never hold them against you, trying to bludgeon you into submission with them.

steebo77 on June 27, 2011 at 5:30 PM

let me be clear I do not think Bachmann has the resume to be POTUS.

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:58 PM

I have to agree unseen.

tencole on June 27, 2011 at 5:31 PM

steebo77 on June 27, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Maybe because chump is a total waste of time?

katy the mean old lady on June 27, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Find me one post where i said bachmann was a bad mother.

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Implying that Bachmann adopted all of her foster children for state money is a slur on her as a mother and as a person both.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Knucklehead on June 27, 2011 at 5:28 PM

I assume you’ve been commenting here for quite a while. Have you always gotten into such a tizzy over the cascades of “trash Palin” comments? I’d have to look into it sometime.

pseudoforce on June 27, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Let’s see, so who took us down the 1980 Reagan rabbit hole?

Mr_Magoo on June 27, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Yes, let’s.
And it wasn’t me.

It’s called… politics. Reagan/Bush was such an arrangement.

Punchenko on June 27, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Thank you. I mean that sincerely.

katy the mean old lady on June 27, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 5:31 PM

first off I implied no such thing. If you read the post in question I explained my remark. second off she didn’t adopt those kids. She was a foster mother to them. there is a big difference.

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Didn’t see anything in there about commenters getting to determine the discipline… we’re all guests here. We all deal with what gets posted.

Mr_Magoo on June 27, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Let’s see, so who took us down the 1980 Reagan rabbit hole?
Mr_Magoo on June 27, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Yes, let’s.
And it wasn’t me.

It’s called… politics. Reagan/Bush was such an arrangement.
Punchenko on June 27, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Yup. Punchenko made a statement related to the thread. Your response took us down the rabbit hole. Thanks for pointing it out.

Mr_Magoo on June 27, 2011 at 5:45 PM

chumpThreads on June 27, 2011 at 5:21 PM

I have replied to you twice but neither post has shown up. Not sure why since I only included one link. Either way, you are a Trig Truther and a joke.

Kataklysmic on June 27, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Kataklysmic on June 27, 2011 at 5:48 PM

That’s going to leave a mark!..:):)

Dire Straits on June 27, 2011 at 5:50 PM

(Looking at you, Knucklehypocrite.)

steebo77 on June 27, 2011 at 5:28 PM

good point.

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 5:51 PM

I’m going to bring over what I said on facebook after I first heard the Serial Killer Shout out:

Really, though. In all seriousness – and I like Bachmann – who does that? Who proudly notes in even casual conversation that they hail from the town where one of the most notorious serial murderers was born? No one. If you are from West… Allis, Wisconsin, you don’t introduce yourself as being born in the same town as Jeffery Dahmer.

Well. Unless you have one heck of a sense of humor and irony and follow up with “No relation! though I DO crave Chianti and Fava beans now and again”

– food that will forever be associated with canibalism unfortunately. Can’t watch an episode of Chopped without that in the back of my brain …

Will she make a statement on the gaff? Blagojevich will probably save her from having to make one. Maybe not. I’ve never heard her back off of a misstatement.

Neither does Obama for that matter. There must be something in the political manual that instructs them to never ever admit they are wrong directly. Ever. PolySci majors? Is that in the manual?

Obama would insist on a serial killer beer summit to clear the air.

Just say’n

We will learn in Obama’s memoirs after he leaves office that he never actually cared for beer and was more of a wine afficionado thus illuminating the ersatz undertones of the political device and much touted Obama Doctrine regarding gaffs and foot-in-mouth rectifications. Colleges will have to retool entire course curliculums to cover it.

I’m tired of being in a position of defending the stupidity. Can we get a candidate who takes something like an announcement of candidacy serious enough to proof read and fact check the speech JUST F’ING ONCE? A once over and then have someone else read it for you.

BrideOfRove on June 27, 2011 at 5:51 PM

pseudoforce on June 27, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Yes well it was quite cheesy, and considering unseen has said that anyone who citicises Palin, on the issues, or on her resignation, or anything non-personal. is deriving their criticisms form lefty blogs, I find it q

Dreadnought on June 27, 2011 at 5:51 PM