Bachmann officially makes it official

posted at 1:35 pm on June 27, 2011 by Tina Korbe

It’s not news, but it is official (which makes this one of those “obligatory” posts of which Allah is so fond). Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) today formally announced her intention to seek the presidency of the United States.

Speaking before a hometown crowd at the historic Snowden House in her birthplace of Waterloo, Iowa, Bachmann outlined just why the nation can’t afford another four years under the administration of President Barack Obama — why, in other words, The One must become The-One-Term-President. In her words:

We cannot continue to rack up debt on the backs of future generations. We can’t afford an unconstitutional health plan that costs too much and is worth so little. And we can’t afford four more years of failed leadership at home and abroad. We can’t afford four more years of millions of Americans out of work or in jobs that pay too little to support their families. We can’t afford four more years of a housing crisis that is devaluing our homes and making home ownership impossible for many Americans. We can’t afford four more years of a foreign policy that leads from behind and doesn’t stand up for our friends and stand up to our enemies. We can’t afford four more years of Barack Obama.

The line proved effective at the primary debate in New Hampshire two weeks ago and it has since become Bachmann’s catchphrase: “Barack Obama is a one-term president!”

But Bachmann spoke just as smoothly about who she is, rightfully reiterating her work in Congress and confidently claiming her connection to the Tea Party:

In Washington, I am bringing a voice to the halls of Congress that has been missing for a long time. It is the voice of the people I love and learned from growing up in Waterloo. It is the voice of reasonable, fair-minded people who love this country, who are patriotic and who see the United States as the indispensable nation of the world.

My voice is part of a movement to take back our country, and now I want to take that voice to the White House. It is the voice of constitutional conservatives who want our government to do its job and not ours and who want our government to live within its means and not our children’s and grandchildren’s.

I am here in Waterloo, Iowa, to announce today: We can win in 2012 and we will. Our voice has been growing louder and stronger. And it is made up of Americans from all walks of life like a three-legged stool. It’s the peace through strength Republicans, and I’m one of them, it’s fiscal conservatives, and I’m one of them, and it’s social conservatives, and I’m one of them. It’s the Tea Party movement and I’m one of them.

The liberals, and to be clear I’m NOT one of them, want you to think the Tea Party is the Right Wing of the Republican Party. But it’s not. It’s made up of disaffected Democrats, independents, people who’ve never been political a day in their life, libertarians, Republicans. We’re people who simply want America back on the right track again.

Her speech sounded the right note — and, so far, it seems like Iowans like her. A new Des Moines Register Iowa Poll of likely participants in the state’s Republican presidential caucuses showed Bachmann neck-and-neck with former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney. Romney garnered 23 percent of the vote. Bachmann, close behind, garnered 22 percent.

At least one political analyst finds that notable. “The surprise here is how quickly Michele Bachmann is catching on,” Jennifer Duffy, a political analyst with the nonpartisan Cook Political Report of Washington, D.C. said in a blog post on the Des Moines Register website. “To me, she’s the one to watch, not Romney.”

Of course, it’s still very early. According to the same post, just 14 percent of likely Republican caucus-goers say their minds are made up about their choice in the presidential race. Another 14 percent don’t have a first choice yet. Sixty-nine percent say they could be persuaded to support a candidate other than their first choice.

Should Texas Gov. Rick Perry decide to run, for example, early polls in Iowa could be completely moot. As conservative columnist George Will put it on ABC’s “This Week” Sunday, “Iowa is made for a showdown between Rick Perry, who has Texas job creation, to match Romney and he has Michele Bachmann’s rapport with Evangelical Christians, who are 60 percent of the participants in the Iowa caucuses.” That is, Perry might be able to appeal equally to fiscal and social conservatives, whereas a candidate like Bachmann tends to be pinned to social issues, however unfairly (she did, for example, stand firm against TARP, even when other conservatives caved).

Plus, Bachmann still has to contend with a popular perception that she somehow lacks seriousness. Just yesterday, for example, as was much discussed, Fox News’ Chris Wallace asked her directly, “Are you a flake?” — a question no other candidate seems likely to have to field. (Wallace later apologized.)

But Bachmann’s making inroads — and, as always, her words and actions speak for themselves.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Can you produce a source in which Bachmann publicly stated that the views were not hers?

bw222 on June 27, 2011 at 3:32 PM

She established beyond all doubt that she was born in Iowa.

lexhamfox on June 27, 2011 at 3:30 PM

lol

Yes she did.

darwin on June 27, 2011 at 3:32 PM

When Palin and the Tea Party were libeled and slandered after the Tucson shooting, Bachmann remained quiet. She didn’t stand up for her “good friend” Palin, and didn’t stand up for the group that she claims now to lead. To me, that shows lack of character.

She blew it on that one. She had her chance to show her colors and she ran.

Punchenko on June 27, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Mr_Magoo on June 27, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Exactly!
Totally agree with you.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 3:33 PM

bw222 on June 27, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Can I? Sure.
So can you.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Listen to what Bachmann’s saying.
Rollins is irrelevant.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Irrelevant…..I don’t think so. You can’t possibly think that picking Rollins to be on her team was okay and just to forget about it.
It speaks volumes on her judgment and whom she would pick for her cabinet and staff.

Speaking of Rollins and apologies…have I said today yet that MB oozes hypocrisy.

tencole on June 27, 2011 at 3:34 PM

She established beyond all doubt that she was born in Iowa.

lexhamfox on June 27, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Indeed. And that she shares Waterloo, IA with another famous Iowan — John Wayne Gacy — in whose spirit will guide her campaign to a complete victory!

Punchenko on June 27, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Can I? Sure.
So can you.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 3:34 PM

C’mon. You’re better than that. You made the claim. Now back it up.

NoNails on June 27, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Problem is, Bachmann’s words don’t match her actions.

lonestar1 on June 27, 2011 at 3:38 PM

I watched her announcement on Fox this morning. She must have mentioned being BORN in Iowa a gabillion times. While I understand this is the IA primary and they are first out of the gate, doesn’t she realize that being born in IA only constitutionally qualifies her to be President but perhaps she should have mentioned more reasons than that to support her bid? Just saying I didn’t think her speech was proportional to the overall occasion. Those of us who don’t live in IA sort of heard that speech and said, “so?”

karenhasfreedom on June 27, 2011 at 2:39 PM

Wonder how her constituents back in Minnesota are feeling about now?

tencole on June 27, 2011 at 3:39 PM

This thread isn’t about the Rollins statement & actual HA threads on the topic have already been linked on this thread concerning it if you’ll read it.

I’ve read all the HA threads on this. There has been no Rollins statement or Bachmann statement on Rollins’ Palin remark. All threads link to that WaPo snippet which is again, anonymously sourced, and doesn’t involve any public statements at all.

If you’ve got something better, let’s see it.

Missy on June 27, 2011 at 3:43 PM

My issue is this: the Rollins thing neither interests me nor do I think it’s important to the business at hand,
Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Then why are you commenting on it?

M.B. runs her own campaign.
Whether or not she continues to employ Rollins is her choice.
I’m assuming she has her own reasons.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 3:15 PM

You comment on it prompting responses and then chastise others for not focusing on the Big Picture.

“Coulda, shoulda, woulda…”
We can do this all day and all night.
And HA trolls probably will.
There’s a republic to save if you want to focus on the Big Picture.
Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 3:23 PM

You’re not the only one concerned about saving the republic.

Mr_Magoo on June 27, 2011 at 3:43 PM

NoNails on June 27, 2011 at 3:35 PM
tencole on June 27, 2011 at 3:34 PM
bw222 on June 27, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Look at Page 1 of this thread.
Also learn to use Search engines.

I’m not going to provide links because 1.) it’s OT to this thread and 2.) the Rollins kerfuffle isn’t important to me.
I strongly suspect that those hanging on their harangue of Rollins aren’t Palin supporters, conservatives or even Republicans.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 3:43 PM

It was reported that Rollins apologized to the “Palin Camp”. Since his original statement was a public statement repeated at least twice, his apology should have been public as well as by a personal call to Palin.

NoNails on June 27, 2011 at 3:20 PM

“Reported”….in one column, by one journalist that you had to dig through the column to even find.
Make you question whether that “apology” was even given….I have a feeling it wasn’t.

tencole on June 27, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Bachmann may be a wild-eyed, right-wing yahoo, but at least she has the courage to face reporters and take questions, unlike a certain Quitter whose name I won’t mention. And I doubt Bachmann will simply walk away from her elected office to become a point guard. I respect her for that alone.

All that said, I doubt if the Obama administration would lose much sleep if she got the nomination.

chumpThreads on June 27, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 3:43 PM

You won’t provide links because there aren’t any….

idesign on June 27, 2011 at 3:49 PM

tencole on June 27, 2011 at 3:43 PM

You have only to go to Page 1 of this very thread for links to at least one HA post on this Rollins topic.
Are you so lazy or just do you just not want to let go of this concern troll talking point?

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 3:50 PM

chumpThreads on June 27, 2011 at 3:47 PM

PDS

idesign on June 27, 2011 at 3:50 PM

idesign on June 27, 2011 at 3:49 PM

What I said to tencole goes double for you.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Get real.

And thanks for the tacit admission that you can’t back up your claim. I’ll know what weight to give your factual assertions in the future.

Missy on June 27, 2011 at 3:51 PM

chumpThreads on June 27, 2011 at 3:47 PM

With the exception of three or four posters on here, I doubt that anyone cares who you respect.

NoNails on June 27, 2011 at 3:51 PM

check out some of the pictures from the event. No one showed up.

It’s almost like huntsman and more press than supporters.

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 3:51 PM

chumpThreads on June 27, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Those weren’t reporters asking Palin questions on her bus tour?

My God! People are impersonating reporters and following Palin around asking her questions!!!!

darwin on June 27, 2011 at 3:52 PM

They fear Bachmann.

They’ll always tell you who they fear.

Bruno Strozek on June 27, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Missy on June 27, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Also note: HA has a Search on its tool bar that brings up these links if you input “Bachmann”.

I don’t assert facts unless they are, indeed, facts.
Nice try.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 3:53 PM

They fear Bachmann.

They’ll always tell you who they fear.

Bruno Strozek on June 27, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Who does?

darwin on June 27, 2011 at 3:53 PM

I don’t assert facts unless they are, indeed, facts.
Nice try.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 3:53 PM

You’re making yourself look pretty foolish.

NoNails on June 27, 2011 at 3:54 PM

They fear Bachmann.

They’ll always tell you who they fear.

Bruno Strozek on June 27, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Who’s they?

idesign on June 27, 2011 at 3:55 PM

darwin on June 27, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Scandal of scandals!

Punchenko on June 27, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Mr_Magoo on June 27, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Exactly!
Totally agree with you.
Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Which is why Reagan states that Bush was “the obvious choice” which you seem to have a problem with – like he didn’t (or couldn’t) come to that conclusion on his own. Am I wrong?

Mr_Magoo on June 27, 2011 at 3:55 PM

You’re making yourself look pretty foolish.

NoNails on June 27, 2011 at 3:54 PM

How’s that?
Because I won’t say “How high?” when you trolls say “Jump!”?

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 3:56 PM

What business experience does Bachmann have other than securing federal farm money for the in-laws?

Punchenko on June 27, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Mr_Magoo on June 27, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Yeah.
Reagan is quite cryptic and ambiguous.
Notice he doesn’t say “obvious…to me.”

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Who’s they?

idesign on June 27, 2011 at 3:55 PM

The Donks elitist Ruling Class intelligentsia and their lapdog MSM poodles.

Bruno Strozek on June 27, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Ugh, I need to take me some Pawlenty and get some shut-eye. I’ve been at it all day.

Punchenko on June 27, 2011 at 4:00 PM

How’s that?
Because I won’t say “How high?” when you trolls say “Jump!”?

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 3:56 PM

No, because you made a claim and refuse to back it up with a link that quotes MB saying that she forced Rollins to apologize. That link you refer to only has “a source” as its basis of fact. You said you don’t post anything that’s not factual. Give us the facts in the form of a link and no one will question your “factual” statement.

NoNails on June 27, 2011 at 4:01 PM

In Washington, I am bringing a voice to the halls of Congress that has been missing for a long time It is the voice of the people I love and learned from growing up in Waterloo. It is the voice of reasonable, fair-minded people who love this country, who are patriotic and who see the United States as the indispensable nation of the world.

hmmm she moved when she was 12. She must have been really special to learn all that by 12.

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:02 PM

It showed me she was a typical politician.

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Jenfidel -

I checked the first page of this thread (as you suggested). Using search engines, I found a number of articles stating Bachmann told Rollins to apologize and statements about how “Michele respects Palin” made by underlings, but nothing from Bachmann herself.

Perhaps Michele stated that in a personal conversation with you?

bw222 on June 27, 2011 at 4:04 PM

“Right” about what?

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Until she fires him, and there is a direct apology to Palin, I can’t support her!

idesign on June 27, 2011 at 2:25 PM

DannoJyd on June 27, 2011 at 4:04 PM

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:02 PM

She’s a genius! She has one of dem dere fancy lawyering degrees in taxes!

Punchenko on June 27, 2011 at 4:04 PM

It’s going viral…

TOP ITEMS:
Stephen Dinan / Washington Times:
The wrong John Wayne  —  Rep. Michele Bachmann kicked off her presidential campaign on Monday in Waterloo, Iowa, and in one interview surrounding the official event she promised to mimic the spirit of Waterloo’s own John Wayne.  —  The only problem, as one eagle-eyed reader notes …
Discussion: The Atlantic Online, The Note, Washington Monthly, New York Magazine, TPMDC, Outside the Beltway, Hit & Run, Under The Golden Dome, Gawker and Indecision Forever

idesign on June 27, 2011 at 4:04 PM

I think Palin will run, and when she does … exactly what is the media going to say that they haven’t already?

They haven’t even begun to go after Bachmann.

darwin on June 27, 2011 at 3:32 PM

That is correct they are in the build up phase by the media. This phase comes before the for-tutus tearing down of Bachmann by the media for Obama.

Bachmann better have a pair, because the media doesn’t provide free lunches – if you are a conservative they eat your lunch.

Dr Evil on June 27, 2011 at 4:04 PM

NoNails on June 27, 2011 at 4:01 PM

The statement–not a “claim”–that I cited is at the links referenced.
Bachmann said it.
Now go find it for yourself.
This is my last post in reply to your useless pestering on this non-topic.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 4:04 PM

It showed me she was a typical politician.

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:04 PM

BINGO! That is EXACTLY how she comes across to me. ;o)

DannoJyd on June 27, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Tina either has a “girl crush” on Michele or orders from “on high” to make Michele look good to try keeping Sarah out.

bw222 on June 27, 2011 at 4:06 PM

The statement–not a “claim”–that I cited is at the links referenced.
Bachmann said it.
Now go find it for yourself.
This is my last post in reply to your useless pestering on this non-topic.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 4:04 PM

In the words of Joe Wilson, “You lie.”

NoNails on June 27, 2011 at 4:07 PM

idesign on June 27, 2011 at 4:04 PM

What about John Wayne? you left out what the story was about. got a link?

Don’t be messing with the duke just watched Big Jake last night. i miss the Duke.

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:08 PM

NoNails on June 27, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Google “Bachmann respect Palin” and you get 2,770,000 links, beginning with the latest statement on June 8.

You trolls are lazy and irritating.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 4:09 PM

bw222 on June 27, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Tina like Bachmann nothing wrong with that. I have found some of her posts on Palin slanted negatively. I’m willing to give tina the benefit of the doubt for now.

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:10 PM

bw222 on June 27, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Tina still owes us a mea culpa on the erroneous reporting she did on the other Palin story.

NoNails on June 27, 2011 at 4:10 PM

BINGO! That is EXACTLY how she comes across to me. ;o)

DannoJyd on June 27, 2011 at 4:06 PM

her cashing in on the taxpayer dime just reniforces that narrative.

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:11 PM

The Donks elitist Ruling Class intelligentsia and their lapdog MSM poodles.

Bruno Strozek on June 27, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Media Bunnies have to eat too. I suspect that Michelle is going to get the same treatment as Sarah Palin and Christine O’Donnell. Media TP, She’s just not that smart, and as they elbow each other, she sounds kind of funny when she talks doesn’t she? I answer that Media slight the same every time- They sound kind of funny when they talk, because most human beings, don’t speak in sound bites.

Dr Evil on June 27, 2011 at 4:11 PM

What about John Wayne? you left out what the story was about. got a link?

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:08 PM

The link police are still after me, let me know when you see them.

idesign on June 27, 2011 at 4:12 PM

You trolls are lazy and irritating.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 4:09 PM

And none of them has a quote from MB saying she ordered Rollins to apologize to “Palin’s people”. Keep digging.

NoNails on June 27, 2011 at 4:13 PM

I asked yesterday about the size of Waterloo. Is 100+ people showing up for a speech like this a good size crowd for Waterloo or was the crowd size a disappointment?

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:14 PM

The link police are still after me, let me know when you see them.

idesign on June 27, 2011 at 4:12 PM

damn
hotair has link police now as well as thread police?

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Now go find it for yourself.
This is my last post in reply to your useless pestering on this non-topic.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 4:04 PM

You cannot use a search engine to find that which does not exist.

I know it’s embarrassing when you make a statement that you can’t back up. I’ve done it myself on occasion.

So unless someone produces a gem in which Michele Bachmann personally issued a public apology to Palin, it didn’t happen.

bw222 on June 27, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 3:50 PM

I’m not lazy. I know what you’re talking about, the thread that AP posted here. If you would have read the whole thread then you would have seen what I was talking about.

THIS…..

If she’s looking to stay in the good graces of Palin fans, whose votes she’ll potentially need down the line, why didn’t she demand that Rollins apologize publicly? The passage in the WaPo piece quoted above, buried several paragraphs down, is the first I’ve heard of it.

Not only was it the first AP heard about it, but it was the first ANYONE had heard about it. No other reporter TO THIS DAY has mentioned it.
So, supposedly a staffer from MB’s group sent a apology from Rollins, to a staffer in Palin’s group to give to Palin.
Not only does that sound disingenuous, I would bet my right arm it never even happened.

BTW…If (and that’s a big if), MB has so much control over Rollins, why didn’t she “demand” a public apology….or at least “demand” he give an apology where more than one reporter was present, and given by someone other than an adviser.

Hypocrisy…Bachmann oozes it.

tencole on June 27, 2011 at 4:16 PM

NoNails on June 27, 2011 at 4:10 PM

which story was that?

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:16 PM

You trolls are lazy and irritating.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Okay, Jenfidel, here’s that June 8 link.

An adviser to Rep. Michele Bachmann sends over this fairly ruffles-smoothing statement:

“The Congresswoman has nothing but admiration and respect for Governor Palin. The two enjoy a good friendship, and Rep. Bachmann looks forward to working with the Governor for the common goal of making sure President Obama is a one-term President.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0611/56523.html#ixzz1QVcxeJaa

That is not an apology from Rollins to Palin.

That is not a statement from Rollins.

That is not Bachmann stating that Rollins’ views were not hers.

You said in your 3:15 “Bachmann made Rollins apologize and stated that his views were certainly not hers.”

The above-linked statement does not say anything of the kind.

Missy on June 27, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Hypocrisy…Bachmann oozes it.

tencole on June 27, 2011 at 4:16 PM

+1000

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:16 PM

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Waterloo- 68,000
Pella- 10,000

Let’s compare the crowds tomorrow.

NoNails on June 27, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Reagan is quite cryptic and ambiguous.
Notice he doesn’t say “obvious…to me.”
Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 3:58 PM

FWIW, I believe that the original topic was about whether or not Reagan’s choice was “politics as usual” or not. I believe you came down on the side of Reagan was not making a political choice but was forced into this by the delegates and never would have chosen Bush on his own. Isn’t that the essence of politics as usual and compromises in politics? I just don’t get where you are going with this.

Reagan is quoted in his biography as saying, “We had been through a competitive and sometimes rough primary battle, but I had always like him personally and had a great respect for his abilities and breadth of experience; and I knew he had a lot of support within the party.”… “George, it seems to me that the fellow who came the closest and got the next most votes for president ought to be the logical choice for vice-president. Will you take it?” If that doesn’t say “to me” I don’t know what does.

So all I can conclude is you don’t take a person at their word and that Reagan is just – what – glossing over some deep-seeded hatred of Bush in his biography to make himself look good? I guess you were right when you said “you will never convince me”…

Mr_Magoo on June 27, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Bachmann/Flake* 2012?
*Congressman Jeff Flake, R-AZ

itsnotaboutme on June 27, 2011 at 4:20 PM

oh my….this will not be good:

In Waterloo, Iowa on the eve of her official presidential campaign announcement, Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) told Fox News that she has “the spirit” of John Wayne.

The presidential hopeful — who was born and grew up in Waterloo as a child before moving to Minnesota — said, “Well, what I want them to know is just like, John Wayne was from Waterloo, Iowa. That’s the kind of spirit that I have, too.”

The Washington Times points out one slight problem with the Tea Party favorite’s remarks: The John Wayne with roots in Waterloo is John Wayne Gacy, a serial killer who was executed by lethal injection in 1994 after being convicted of 33 murders.

John Wayne — the late movie star, director and producer — was born in Winterset, Iowa, but appears to have no specific connection to Waterloo.

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Bachmann/Flake* 2012?
*Congressman Jeff Flake, R-AZ
itsnotaboutme on June 27, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Not likely… oh wait, you jest?

Mr_Magoo on June 27, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Tomorrow is going to be fun.

Punchenko on June 27, 2011 at 4:22 PM

I guess you were right when you said “you will never convince me”…

Mr_Magoo on June 27, 2011 at 4:18 PM

You’re reading wayyyyyyyy too much into this.
Anyone who knows both Reagan and Bush 41 knows that Bush wasn’t nearly as conservative as Reagan and that Jack Kemp would have been a much better choice as VP.
That being said, we’re not in Reagan’s shoes, facing the Oval Office and the job ahead that Ronaldus Magnus did.
I wouldn’t begin to be able to plummet Reagan’s deepest thoughts on the matter nor would you.
I loved RR and still do.
Bush 41? Not so much.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 4:23 PM

which story was that?

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Here.

By the time Tina posted her story, Palin had already issued a FB post on the subject. Neither Tina nor AP issued a correction on their erroneous statements.

NoNails on June 27, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Oh, is the “No Flake-out Here” going to be changed to just “Flake-out Here” now that Bachmann gaffed and informed the world that her campaign will invoke the spirit of clown serial killer?

Punchenko on June 27, 2011 at 4:23 PM

chumpThreads on June 27, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Look, the woman hater hath spoken.

fossten on June 27, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Waterloo- 68,000
Pella- 10,000

Let’s compare the crowds tomorrow.

NoNails on June 27, 2011 at 4:17 PM

ok. I’ll be generous and say form the photos it looks like about 150 people showed up for Bachmann’s this time it’s really really offical speech. the movie sits 300 and has already been sold out. So Palin is already drawing double crowd size that Bachmann did.

What’s it called when you win before starting?

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:25 PM

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:21 PM

unseen…that’s a keeper. :)

I keep telling everyone that MB will implode all on her own. Those little toads hop out all the time, she can’t help it. It’s who she is.

tencole on June 27, 2011 at 4:25 PM

What’s it called when you win before starting?

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Due to demand, they’ve increased the seating to 340 and will issue 1000 tickets for the post-show barbecue.

NoNails on June 27, 2011 at 4:26 PM

NoNails on June 27, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Ouch.

Punchenko on June 27, 2011 at 4:27 PM

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Ouch. I won’t pile on her for it, but that’s pretty bad. And hard to walk back after she made such a big fuss about being from Waterloo.

Missy on June 27, 2011 at 4:28 PM

NoNails on June 27, 2011 at 4:23 PM

thx fot the link. yeah tina is fawning over Bachmann a lot in that post:

Bachmann the politician impresses me — battle-tested, poised, authentic. Bachmann the person, the wife, the mother impresses me more — committed, generous, protective. I’m eager to learn more of “her personal story and her journey to political life.”

yuck.

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:28 PM

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Trying to set up Palin and Bachmann as rivals won’t help anyone, least of all the country.
So long as at least one conservative is in the race, we’re good to go.
Playing off these two ladies when Palin hasn’t even declared yet is extremely counterproductive!
I’m a little surprised and disappointed that you would do so.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 4:28 PM

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:14 PM

She was born there. Many politicians choose their native place, especially if it’s in Iowa. Get over this. You’ve got 1001 other reasons to harp on her. Have at it. It’s marvelous for the HA Capitalism.

Schadenfreude on June 27, 2011 at 4:28 PM

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:14 PM

It seems to me if Bachmann had declared, in her Minnesota district, the crowds might have been larger, after all they voted her back into office last November. But Bachmann has Rollins advising her on optics…..

Dr Evil on June 27, 2011 at 4:29 PM

NoNails on June 27, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Oh my. Pella might double its population overnight.

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Missy on June 27, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Gacy wasn’t born in Waterloo; he only spent some time there.
The MSM is really reaching for that one.

And John Wayne was from IA.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Missy on June 27, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Daaang…how many mulligan’s does one candidate get?

tencole on June 27, 2011 at 4:30 PM

unseen you must have just woken up.

Sure, the original is not smart, but this must be known too. Oh, well, gaggle moving on to the next idiocy.

UPDATE:

The Bachmann campaign sent this explanation: “John Wayne is from Iowa, his parents lived in Waterloo.”

And indeed his parents did in fact live briefly in Waterloo — in fact, according to “Duke: The Life and Image of John Wayne,” it’s where they met. But soon after their marriage they moved to Winterset, where Wayne was born.

It’s also worth noting that Mrs. Bachmann herself is no stranger to the actor. In the run-up to her campaign announcement she gave an interview to NewsMax.com in which she talked about him as a symbol of a good time in the country’s history.

“We’re seeing the nation move into decline. I’m not willing to do that. I’m not satisfied. I grew up with John Wayne’s America. I was proud that you grew up in John Wayne’s America: Proud to be an American, thrilled to be a patriot,” she said.

Schadenfreude on June 27, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 4:28 PM

The media and the GOP establishment have already done that.

NoNails on June 27, 2011 at 4:30 PM

I read this thread again, and look, unseen’s shown up!

Got any more HI-LARIOUS comedy for us today, unseen? A few more potshots at Bachmann’s kids, which you’ll then whine about how we’re all too stupid to understand are jokes?

Vyce on June 27, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Gacy wasn’t born in Waterloo; he only spent some time there.
The MSM is really reaching for that one.

And John Wayne was from IA.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Jenfidel…MB specifically stated John Wayne was from Waterloo Iowa. I think you’re the one “really reaching”.

tencole on June 27, 2011 at 4:31 PM

unseen…that’s a keeper. :)

tencole on June 27, 2011 at 4:25 PM

agreed. This was as bad as the concord gaffe. the left will pound her with this.

Leno will be laughing at her.

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:32 PM

No doubt about it. John Wayne is definitely Obamateurism of the Week level material.

I don’t think she gets past this one. It’s looking to me her habit of having to fluff up whatever place she’s in, is her fatal flaw.

No doubt the high fives are flying, in Pawlenty’s office.

MNHawk on June 27, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Hypocrisy…Bachmann oozes it.

tencole on June 27, 2011 at 4:16 PM
+1000

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:16 PM

It’s more like “Ignorance, the gaggle oozes it”.

Get yer facts straight. Many of you spew utter nonsense.

Palin would spank you, even those of you who’d carry her on a platinum platter.

Schadenfreude on June 27, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Schadenfreude on June 27, 2011 at 4:30 PM

There’s always an “explanation” isn’t there.

tencole on June 27, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Vyce on June 27, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Hey the admitted troll shows up!

sure just read the thread.

Ther eis plenty of Leno material Bachmann gave today.

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:33 PM

tencole on June 27, 2011 at 4:31 PM

His parents were from Waterloo. This story is like the recent Palin so-called gaffe, which amounted to nothing. That you all help the media is disgusting.

Schadenfreude on June 27, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Hypocrisy…Bachmann oozes it.

tencole on June 27, 2011 at 4:16 PM

+1000

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:16 PM

mythicknight on June 27, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Schadenfreude on June 27, 2011 at 4:33 PM

ignorance? You did read the LA times article about Bachmann cashing in on the taxpayer dime while speaking out about big government right?

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:35 PM

tencole on June 27, 2011 at 4:31 PM

What’s reaching is for Politico to print a headline that implies that John Wayne Gacy was born in Waterloo.
Wayne was from another little city in IA.

Jenfidel on June 27, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Let me Google that for you

BobMbx on June 27, 2011 at 4:36 PM

No doubt the high fives are flying, in Pawlenty’s office.

MNHawk on June 27, 2011 at 4:32 PM

yeah i think Timmy benefits from this.

unseen on June 27, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Oh noes! A gaff! She’s an idiot! She’s a hypocrite!

Knott Buyinit on June 27, 2011 at 4:37 PM