Confirmed: Palin to attend Iowa premiere of “The Undefeated”

posted at 5:16 pm on June 25, 2011 by Allahpundit

If she’d refused, I would have taken it as the most compelling sign yet that she’s not running. It’s simply too golden an opportunity to make a splash in a key primary state to pass up.

*Splash*:

“We are very excited to visit historic Pella and its opera house and look forward to seeing the finished film for the first time with fellow Americans from the heartland,” Palin, who was Republican presidential candidate John McCain’s running mate in 2008, said in a news release this morning…

Longtime GOP campaign strategist Robert Haus said he thinks Palin deliberately chose to come to Iowa “smack dab in the middle of two other big events in the state.”

“Her timing is impeccable,” said Haus, of Urbandale. “Clearly she has not ruled out a run for president.”…

“She’s made a very good career out of confounding conventional wisdom,” Haus said.

Actually, the premiere will take place smack dab in the middle of three other biggish local events. Gingrich is appearing on Wednesday morning, the day after the fim’s debut, at a tea-party event in Iowa, which is … not so big. Obama will visit an Alcoa factory on Tuesday afternoon in Bettendorf, Iowa, just a few hours before it screens in Pella, which is pretty big. And Bachmann will launch her own presidential campaign in Waterloo on Monday, which is darned big. So many newsworthy political stories, so little front-page space for a poor Iowa newspaper editor to apportion. As for the premiere itself, invitees include Breitbart, Tammy Bruce, Mark Levin, and plenty of local citizens — but not, according to director Stephen Bannon, any of “the political muckety mucks.” Really? If I had just made a film designed to get someone elected president and was set to roll it out in Iowa, with the would-be candidate herself in attendance, I would think I’d be helping her out by having a muckety-muck or two in attendance. You can intone about shunning “the establishment” and running a “different kind of campaign” if you like, but making friends with people who are influential in local politics is good business. Hope Bannon knows what he’s doing.

Conservatives4Palin is urging all Palinistas to show up in Pella if they can in hopes that a huge turnout will sway her on running. Quote: “The sense I get is that Palin is trying to analyze the amount of spontaneous support that exists for her potential candidacy as she may view spontaneous support as one of the leading indicators of the strength of one’s support.” I think there’s truth to that, but it deepens the mystery of why she didn’t release her bus tour itinerary ahead of time so that crowds of her supporters could come out to greet her along the way. In fact, some of them came out anyway in the hope that the tour would roll into town while they were there. The photo ops of throngs of Palin fans rushing to greet her as she got off the bus would have been sensational.

Here’s Bannon talking to Warner Todd Huston of Publius Forum a week ago at the Right Online conference.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 9 10 11

Ta da! See, that wasn’t so hard.

katy the mean old lady on June 26, 2011 at 11:20 PM

1st!!!!

Gohawgs on June 26, 2011 at 11:46 PM

1st!!!!

Gohawgs on June 26, 2011 at 11:46 PM

Wrong! Where the hell were you earlier? I had to depend oncsdeven to pull us over the wire.

katy the mean old lady on June 26, 2011 at 11:52 PM

He/she/it didn’t do so out any genuine sentiment, katy…

Gohawgs on June 27, 2011 at 12:05 AM

Thought it said, stop that Alaska school marm but I was wrong.

AshleyTKing on June 27, 2011 at 12:13 AM

He/she/it didn’t do so out any genuine sentiment, katy…

Gohawgs on June 27, 2011 at 12:05 AM

Well no chit Sherlock. Now I’ another one of his imaginary stalkers

katy the mean old lady on June 27, 2011 at 12:19 AM

AshleyTKing on June 27, 2011 at 12:13 AM

As usual…Even YOU know it’s the librarian look, not the school marm wannabe!!!

Gohawgs on June 27, 2011 at 12:24 AM

Ha! The librarian for those under her spell. The school marm for us who know. “STOP PLAIN”

AshleyTKing on June 27, 2011 at 12:30 AM

AshleyTKing on June 27, 2011 at 12:30 AM

You have Tina Fey fever…/

Gohawgs on June 27, 2011 at 12:42 AM

AshleyTKing on June 27, 2011 at 12:30 AM

Are you dyslexic or something? With spelling skills like yours, I bet you sit around all day contemplating the existence of dog.

gryphon202 on June 27, 2011 at 12:43 AM

gryphon,

He’s snarking on the link…

Gohawgs on June 27, 2011 at 12:50 AM

gryphon,

He’s snarking on the link…

Gohawgs on June 27, 2011 at 12:50 AM

I’m snarking on the snark. I didn’t really think a sarc tag would be necessary, but not the first time I was wrong about something. :P

gryphon202 on June 27, 2011 at 1:01 AM

Me too, gryphon202…Me too…

Gohawgs on June 27, 2011 at 1:03 AM

I thought Palin had jury duty?

xblade on June 27, 2011 at 1:08 AM

I thought Palin had jury duty?

xblade on June 27, 2011 at 1:08 AM

Ashley wrote her a Hall Pass…

Gohawgs on June 27, 2011 at 1:12 AM

Ashley wrote her a Hall Pass…

Gohawgs on June 27, 2011 at 1:12 AM

Boo-yah! LOL

Kidding aside, unless and until she is sequestered, Palin can come and go as she pleases as long as she answers all lawful summons. Being a public figure, the odds of her being seated on an actual jury are slim, and the odds of her being seated on a sequestered jury are practically non-existent.

gryphon202 on June 27, 2011 at 1:15 AM

Dyslexia: they say a symptom of PDS.

AshleyTKing on June 27, 2011 at 1:31 AM

Hey Bishop, you got some catching up to do buddy.

I won the csdeven obsession award last night and it took only 0.008 seconds of software run-time to send that freak screaming into orbit like a howler monkey.

Geochelone on June 26, 2011 at 1:52 PM

I thought it was something like that. I tried developing a script myself. It’s pretty crude at this point. I don’t know right now if I’ll spend the time to make it more sophisticated, since it’s not often I care about how many times someone comments on a topic at Hot Air. But at this point in time, I see 28 comments from csdeven, the last one posted at 11:52 pm.

That’s a pile of obsession!!

I could run it against someone else’s name, but I don’t think anyone else has posted as much on this topic as csdeven. So it probably wouldn’t even be close.

There Goes The Neighborhood on June 27, 2011 at 3:12 AM

There Goes The Neighborhood on June 27, 2011 at 3:12 AM

csdeven has 58 posts at this point.

That is 6% by the same obsessed person. And there were 118 different people who participated in this thread.

Geochelone on June 27, 2011 at 4:59 AM

This thread still going?

This isn’t a good sign….having to push comments to get it over 1.000?

This is almost Huntsmanesque.

PappyD61 on June 27, 2011 at 6:54 AM

Ms. Palin has said she will announce in the near future.

Should she even announce her withdrawal, I trust these words and those of others might help her to reconsider.

Sarah Palin is America.

America at her most beautiful, her most honest, her most simply eloquent and her most resilient.

Resilience is what America needs now.

Without Sarah Palin as President, America cannot bounce back.

Michael Moriarty
Breitbart, Big Hollywood

beautiful resilience

maverick muse on June 27, 2011 at 7:37 AM

The Jihad rolls on.

Brian1972 on June 27, 2011 at 8:34 AM

I have read none of the comments here. I am quite sure I am better off for it.
I can only imagine what’s here.
I will christen myself a brand new Palinista here.
Bcs she’s a great lady & I like her. And I assume from past experience that if you even like her that’s what you are branded.
IDK if she’ll run, but I don’t care.
I hope she keeps up the good work no matter what she decides to do.

Badger40 on June 27, 2011 at 9:40 AM

I’m excited and debating whether to head up to Iowa tomorrow morning. And I can honestly say I wouldn’t even consider it if it were any other candidate. Such is the loyalty she inspires.

alwaysfiredup on June 27, 2011 at 10:35 AM

alwaysfiredup on June 27, 2011 at 10:35 AM

You should go. I would. I bet it would be fun & inspiring.

Badger40 on June 27, 2011 at 11:07 AM

katy the mean old lady on June 26, 2011 at 11:52 PM

And it took how many comments for them to reach into their heads and find their obsession over me? Somewhere between on and 5?

The obsession on me is strong with a few of our fellow HA commentators. And lookie….I didn’t even mention one HA member by name!

Heck, we even have one guy, who has to be the odds on favorite to win the coveted “Most Obsessed With csdeven of the Year” award, is even COUNTING, cutting and pasting my comments! That is some serious obsessive behavior there!

csdeven on June 27, 2011 at 12:38 PM

1026 Comments

LOL

For what? The parade float known as Sarah Palin.

Moesart on June 27, 2011 at 12:52 PM

I’m gonna quit reding Palin threads. They so quickly now degenerate into snark-fests with all the usual suspects on both sides. Same words, same arguements, same BS. Boring, tiresome and useless. I’m outta here. Y’all all have fun beating your heads against the wall. (Except you, mm)

odat on June 27, 2011 at 1:23 PM

For what? The parade float known as Sarah Palin.

Moesart on June 27, 2011 at 12:52 PM

If she is such a parade float, why do you care?

long_cat on June 27, 2011 at 1:24 PM

toliver on June 26, 2011 at 6:57 PM

That’s all nice, but according to the same website you linked to, NONE of the potential candidates are polling well against Obama.

So what do you suggest then? Give up completely and let Obama have his full eight years — or run the candidate who loses by the smallest number of points against Obama — or pick your favorite candidate and fight for your pick?

I know which choice I’m making.

Aitch748 on June 27, 2011 at 1:25 PM

That is some serious obsessive behavior there!

csdeven on June 27, 2011 at 12:38 PM

I’m not trying to pick on you.
Bcs there are things we agree on.
But seriously, I cannot believe you don’t get the crazy irony of your comment there.
Jeebus.

Badger40 on June 27, 2011 at 2:23 PM

I’m not trying to pick on you.
Bcs there are things we agree on.
Jeebus.

Badger40 on June 27, 2011 at 2:23 PM

It would only be irony if I followed individuals around calling them obsessive before they obsessed on me.

A simple examination of the patterns will reveal that I make a comment about a candidate first. At this point it is either a skeptical comment on Palin or a positive comment on a different candidate, and the personal attacks begin. I respond by pointing out how obsessive that behavior is. Then they double down on it by continuing the personal attacks. All I did was disagree with their political opinion and after they attack me, I explain to them why attacking me over a differing opinion is obsessive behavior. Then they triple down on it and I reinforce the explanation of their obsessiveness. Some of these people have gone through threads that are long gone, and copied every comment a fellow HA commentator has written. But those same folks don’t have a link ready to an accusation or a claim about a candidate.

The simplest solution to this is for all HA members to respond to the merits of the comment and leave the personal obsessions out of it.

csdeven on June 27, 2011 at 2:41 PM

csdeven on June 27, 2011 at 2:41 PM

I mean that you’re extremely obsessed with everything Palin & spewing negativity about her & being negative about those you brand Palinistas.
It’s getting old.
I’m getting to the point I can’t hardly stomach to read your posts.
And that makes me sad.
But whatevs. It’s only my opinion.

Badger40 on June 27, 2011 at 3:11 PM

I’m getting to the point I can’t hardly stomach to read your posts.
And that makes me sad.
But whatevs. It’s only my opinion.

Badger40 on June 27, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Then continuing to read them would be silly. Especially since you can’t just read them. You are compelled to attack me. And that is sad.

csdeven on June 27, 2011 at 10:33 PM

I said once that csdeven was a part-time troll. I guess it found that insulting and decided to prove me wrong.

Well, I’m convinced. He/she/it is definitely a full-time troll.

There Goes The Neighborhood on June 28, 2011 at 2:32 AM