Romney aides: “Doesn’t a Romney-Rubio ticket sound great?”

posted at 8:22 pm on June 24, 2011 by Allahpundit

The Rubio part does. But … I thought it was going to be Romney/Bachmann.

No Bachmann?

The Republican nomination for president is completely up for grabs, but there’s a lot of agreement on who the vice presidential pick should be: Marco Rubio, the freshman senator from Florida. My contacts in the Mitt Romney camp are boasting: “Doesn’t a Romney-Rubio ticket sound great?” One senior Romney advisor told me: “We think that could be a dream ticket.” Operatives from the pack of other wannabes are thinking ahead to the same Rubio marriage with their candidate.

Mr. Rubio was pressed to join the presidential sweepstakes, but declined because of his newcomer status to the Senate. But he has several appeals as the number two man on the ticket. First, he is a big vote getter in the electoral swing state of Florida, which is a must win state for Republicans. Second, his Hispanic heritage is a proven vote-getter with Latino voters. A third draw is that Mr. Rubio has indisputable conservative and tea party credentials, which would make him a natural pair with Mr. Romney, who is seen by some as a moderate, corporatist Republican. The same logic would apply if Minnesota’s Tim Pawlenty won the nomination.

Why would Rubio want to be the VP nominee in a race versus an incumbent president? The odds are against you winning, and if you do end up falling short, you have the stink of “loser” on you going forward when you’re looking ahead to running for president yourself. No 40-year-old with national aspirations needs that. (No wonder Rubio’s said, “I won’t consider it.”) Besides, Romney may not need him to hold Florida. He’s already out to a 10-point lead there and will surely have Jeb Bush and Rubio stumping for him in-state if he’s the nominee. Rubio’s growing status as a young hawk in the McCain mold could also be a liability (or an asset) depending upon what sort of foreign policy Romney himself settles on. And look: Realistically, if Mitt wins the nom and Bachmann finishes second, the pressure on him to name either her or another woman to the ticket will be tremendous. Out: Romney/Rubio. In: Romney/Haley?

Say this for the guy, his ad team is on the ball. Two new economy-themed spots here, both aimed not at his rivals but at The One, and one of which will be very familiar to you. Exit question: Given his immense fundraising advantage, are there any Wile E. Coyotes in the field who can catch this Roadrunner?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

RINO and who?

Roy Rogers on June 24, 2011 at 8:24 PM

If Romney is the nominee I might either not vote or go third party. His snubbing of the National Right to Life Convention and the Susan B. Anthony List was the last straw. He’s a phony and will sell conservatives out.

D0WNT0WN on June 24, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Got to get the nomination first, then talk about VP

txmomof6 on June 24, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Bachmann/West ’12!

FloatingRock on June 24, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Perhaps they would like to check with Rubio first?

katy the mean old lady on June 24, 2011 at 8:27 PM

I’m ok with Romney. I just can’t vote for Huntsman.

taney71 on June 24, 2011 at 8:29 PM

He’s already out to a 10-point lead there

A 10-point lead over someone who hasn’t even declared.

pseudoforce on June 24, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Rubio failed the Libya test.

FloatingRock on June 24, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Is Marco Rubio “qualified” to be VP?

Is Herman Cain “qualified” to be President?

I wonder why these questions never get asked?

takeamericabackin10 on June 24, 2011 at 8:29 PM

NO! HELL NO!

When a presidential candidate needs to trot out a potential VP
candidate’s name to shore up their support because it is dwindling that is a sign things are really bad.

Amjean on June 24, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Romney isn’t going to be on the ticket as P let alone VP.

FloatingRock on June 24, 2011 at 8:30 PM

OH MY GOSH! Head exploding to commence in 5…4…3….

csdeven on June 24, 2011 at 8:31 PM

It’s not smart to designate a VP running mate until just before the convention. This is all jibberish.

slickwillie2001 on June 24, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Add me to the growing list of those who will vote 3rd party if Mittens is the nominee.

takeamericabackin10 on June 24, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Amjean on June 24, 2011 at 8:30 PM
Absolutely!

txmomof6 on June 24, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Yes, to take that leap to the presidential platform after losing out as VP would put one behind the eight ball. It may take years and years to recover before they are up to the task.

sherry on June 24, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Why not Christie/Rubio?

The I’m Not Running Ticket!

Brian1972 on June 24, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Two ‘WGAS’ posts in a row.

darwin-t on June 24, 2011 at 8:34 PM

The Unnamed One, if she runs.

pseudoforce on June 24, 2011 at 8:34 PM

slickwillie2001 on June 24, 2011 at 8:31 PM

It’s a sop to the base.

pseudoforce on June 24, 2011 at 8:35 PM

It doesn’t sound great it sounds desperate. Talking about VP choices this early means they think their guy is too weak to close escrow on his own merits. I hear Rubios name bandied about quite a bit and I resent the identity politics that seem to accompany this talk. Plus hasn’t Rubio said he wouldn’t take it? This is a bunch of nonsense. And poor politics to boot.

Kataklysmic on June 24, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Not really.

Now, give me Perry/Rubio and maybe we’ve got a deal! Although I prefer Perry/Bachmann, Perry/Santorum, or Perry/West.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on June 24, 2011 at 8:37 PM

takeamericabackin10 on June 24, 2011 at 8:31 PM

another NBP….

Bradky on June 24, 2011 at 8:37 PM

It’s the “come on cons, get me through the nomination phase, and I’ll pick a VP you like” play.
Sorry Mittens, not buying it.

predator on June 24, 2011 at 8:37 PM

Maybe Perry, no one else will come close.

Bradky on June 24, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Rubio?

The guy who just got to where he is a year ago?

Let’s give him a chance to do something in the Senate first, then he can run for state Gov., THEN Vice President.

Tony737 on June 24, 2011 at 8:38 PM

i like that he is going after dear leader…people need to wake up about this election….

cmsinaz on June 24, 2011 at 8:38 PM

His ads are good. On the other hand, not just NO; HELL NO!!!

Naturally Curly on June 24, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Well I like him plowing the field with his ads.

txmomof6 on June 24, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Doesn’t Romney-On the Golf Course for four years sound great?

ajacksonian on June 24, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Maybe Perry, no one else will come close.

Bradky on June 24, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Palin. You know it, but it chokes you up with apoplexy.

pseudoforce on June 24, 2011 at 8:41 PM

cmsinaz on June 24, 2011 at 8:38 PM

If he gets elected, I don’t see much change from Obama.

idesign on June 24, 2011 at 8:43 PM

nein danke.

RealMc on June 24, 2011 at 8:45 PM

I don’t care if Romney chooses Zombie Reagan as VP. If he’s the nominee, Obama gets re-elected. Big.

pseudoforce on June 24, 2011 at 8:46 PM

idesign on June 24, 2011 at 8:43 PM

anybody has got to be better than dear leader…should be interesting when the primaries heat up

cmsinaz on June 24, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Any supposed conservative who would accept an invitation to be Romney’s running mate would be instantly discredited. You can’t run with the guy if you don’t support his radical leftist policies.

Buddahpundit on June 24, 2011 at 8:50 PM

The big ticket would be Romney and Suzanna Martinez the Governor of New Mexico. The Hispanic and female vote in one nice, neat package. There is your winning ticket. She brings the West and South he brings the rust bucket and the Northeast. It does not get any better. Plus remember Rubio is not Hispanic he is Cuban and the Hispanics do not like the Cubans.

Jdripper on June 24, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Palin. You know it, but it chokes you up with apoplexy.

pseudoforce on June 24, 2011 at 8:41 PM

LOL – she has laid no groundwork whatsoever for a ground campaign. Every other candidate who has made a serious run which is part of the nomination process; can you maneuver the wickets through all the states to convince the majority that they are a credible and viable candidate – somehow you think she will sprinkle fairy dust and make money and significant vote support magically appear.
Her chance of picking up major donors depends on their being convinced she could knock off Obama.
Given that the money bags look at the negatives just like everyone else she probably doesn’t get much in that area.

I know you like to be all hope and change re Palin but realistic assessments just are not your forte in that one particular area.

Bradky on June 24, 2011 at 8:51 PM

I don’t know how the presidential field will shake out, but I’d bet on this: Marco Rubio will be the VP nominee. Bet on it.

To elevate his national profile in advance of 2016/2020. The question isn’t “Why would he want to be the VP nominee?”, the question is “Would he really decline the offer?”

Haley would be great, but the demographic and geographic considerations strongly favor Rubio.

Lawdawg86 on June 24, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Out: Romney/Rubio. In: Romney/Haley?

Hmmmmm. VERY interesting.

Rick Perry.

For all the grumbling on HotAir about either man, I actually do think that both Perry and Romney, for all of their flaws / faults, both would have an EXCELLENT chance of beating Obama, especially if the economy doesn’t improve (and I doubt it will).

Vyce on June 24, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Buddahpundit on June 24, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Doesn’t the same standard apply to Palin who accepted McCain’s invitation to be the VP? I mean he is the ultimate Rino in the view of the self proclaimed base.
Not sure how you square that logic with your bold statement.

Bradky on June 24, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Rahm-ney’s in trouble with his internal polling and badly needs a conservative shill to cover for his radical RINOism.

What am I bid for a right wing VP?

Say that Ann Coulter’s for sale, maybe Will,Krauthammer, Rove?

Don L on June 24, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Jdripper on June 24, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Your ignorance is astounding.

katy the mean old lady on June 24, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Running Romney will be the end of this country as we know it. This man is NOT a statesman, something we need to survive. Alan West is.

frizzbee on June 24, 2011 at 8:54 PM

what stink of loser? that is just nuts. the VP candidate carries no stink from a failed POTUS run.

As far as Rubio on the ticket. I don’t know what a 6 month senator brings to the table. except comparisions to Obama. give him another 4 or 8 years seasoning and Rubio may make a very good Potus or VP candidate.

unseen on June 24, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Vyce on June 24, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Yeah, first they’d beat him and then they just repeat him -except Rahmney has already beat him to Robamacare.

Don L on June 24, 2011 at 8:55 PM

pseudoforce on June 24, 2011 at 8:46 PM

AGREE.

The big ticket would be Romney and Suzanna Martinez the Governor of New Mexico. The Hispanic and female vote in one nice, neat package. There is your winning ticket. She brings the West and South..”

Jdripper on June 24, 2011 at 8:50 PM

She does not bring the South with RINO in the #1 slot. BS!
We will NOT ACCEPT anything but CONSERVATIVE at the TOP of the ticket.
There will be 3rd Party, and the Republicans may just kiss the South good-bye.

Marcus on June 24, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Buddahpundit on June 24, 2011 at 8:50 PM

disagree here. It would make it harder for Rubio to disown Mitt after Mitt loses in a landslide but like Palin the postions one tae as the VP candidat are usally not held against you except of course by the insane

unseen on June 24, 2011 at 8:57 PM

LOL – she has laid no groundwork whatsoever for a ground campaign.

Bradky on June 24, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Neither has Perry either, to this point. You’re going to tell me that Perry could outraise Palin? LOL

pseudoforce on June 24, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Buddahpundit on June 24, 2011 at 8:50 PM

I guess that discredits Palin then

windansea on June 24, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Please please please, Perry or Palin get in this race and get rid of this phony once and for all.

With regard to Mittens, I understand the whole stratgery of running against Obama as a way to rally the base while at the same time appear to be the frontrunner who’s already got the nomination locked up, but I think he and his aides are putting the cart before the horse. They’ve all but written off Iowa. New Hampshire is likely in their column, but Romney has a home there and it’s right near MassachusettEs, so why shouldn’t he win that state? South Carolina is iffy as are many Southern states. Plus we have yet to see the other nominees unleash holy hell on him for his record and past statements. You know T-Paw is chomping at the bit to get another crack at him.

Doughboy on June 24, 2011 at 8:58 PM

This big, poor RINO stiff has no idea what’s about to hit him.

rrpjr on June 24, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Bradky on June 24, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Honestly now, Bradky. I don’t know if Palin’s running or not, but let’s say Palin declares her candidacy tomorrow. Where do you think she is in the GOP polls on Monday?

pseudoforce on June 24, 2011 at 9:00 PM

You’re going to tell me that Perry could outraise Palin? LOL

pseudoforce on June 24, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Yes. I eagerly await your objective analysis showing why I am wrong.

Bradky on June 24, 2011 at 9:00 PM

I have supported Rubio with money, more that I could say for any other candidate. And I’d turn my back on him if he could support a man who wants Crap and Tax!

Marcus on June 24, 2011 at 9:01 PM

especially if the economy doesn’t improve (and I doubt it will).

Vyce on June 24, 2011 at 8:52 PM

And just to play devil’s advocate here. What happens if Obama throgh say releasing the SPR and bringing gasoline down to $1.75 gets the economy ot improve a little bit. Not gang busters but say 3% GDP and unemploymen around 8.5%

say if that is the case what theme does Mitt bring to the table? what else does he have besides being the govenor that had the 47th worse job creation under his watch. If the economy improves somewhat than what overriding theme does Mitt and to a lesser degree Perry use to make americans abandon Obama for them?

i mean why vote for Obamalite if you can have Obama. Esp when Obamalite brings charges of racism, fat cat wall street,,,,,the evil rich…bigots, hate the poor…etc….

Answer that and you will see why Mitt is doomed to lose by a landslide if we nominate him.

unseen on June 24, 2011 at 9:02 PM

I’m ok with Romney. I just can’t vote for Huntsman.

taney71 on June 24, 2011 at 8:29 PM

That’s like saying, “I like tarantulas. It’s spiders I can’t stand.”

CurtZHP on June 24, 2011 at 9:02 PM

I’ll wait for the coveted Meggie Big-Mac and Al Gore cheese to weigh in on this before I litter the board with my humble reflections.

Geochelone on June 24, 2011 at 9:03 PM

You’re going to tell me that Perry could outraise Palin? LOL

pseudoforce on June 24, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Yes. I eagerly await your objective analysis showing why I am wrong.

Bradky on June 24, 2011 at 9:00 PM

What evidence do you have to back up your belief that he would? Where is Perry in the polls right now? Would he overtake Romney right after declaring? I don’t know if he’d overtake Bachmann, for that matter. And I like Perry. I just don’t buy into the idea that he’s some juggernaut.

pseudoforce on June 24, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Doughboy on June 24, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Hate to tell you, but Mark Davis doesn’t think Perry will get in until August. Which floored me. He needs to do a Bachmann – get in and worry about “formal” announcement later if that’s the case.

Marcus on June 24, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Where do you think she is in the GOP polls on Monday?

pseudoforce on June 24, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Probably still behind Romney. Since she has not announced yet her name still gets put in the poll choices she has not moved up at all.
You are doing the hope and change thing again. Reality is Romney has declared, leads in the polls, and is cleaning up on fundraising. Hope and change seems to be Palin jumps in, gets Warren Buffet and Bill Gates to pledge their fortunes to her campaign, and without any grass roots organizing sweeps the country.

Bradky on June 24, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Romney seems like a ‘nice’ guy but I think most of us can smell the “I’m the next-in-line” GOP candidate. Rubio is wonderful. I’m so glad to have him as my Representative, but like others, I want him to do his job where he is. We NEED a strong LEADER and I wonder if there is one who either isn’t old-school, has too much compromising Washingtonian history, or has baggage. Honestly, the issues are so pressing that it will take an extraordinary person to mend the mess that Obama has created and set America on it’s previous pattern as a World Power. I believe we’re in decline. Hope not but no evidence to the contrary.

jatfla on June 24, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Is Marco Rubio “qualified” to be VP?

Is Herman Cain “qualified” to be President?

I wonder why these questions never get asked?

takeamericabackin10 on June 24, 2011 at 8:29 PM

It’s not their turn! Now sit down and shut up!

/rino

CurtZHP on June 24, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Perry/Bachmmann, or Perry/West.

Romney/Huntsman=Demlight

Sandybourne on June 24, 2011 at 9:05 PM

And I like Perry. I just don’t buy into the idea that he’s some juggernaut.

pseudoforce on June 24, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Perry is a heavyweight with lots of credibility. 12 years as governor of the most vibrant economic state in the country. People could see him fixing the country and he is better connected to the major donors and contacts than Palin is by a long shot.

Bradky on June 24, 2011 at 9:05 PM

She’s named in the polls, she’s second to Romney, and the general assumption is that she’s not running. You know that would change pretty quickly with an announcement.

You are doing the hope and change thing again. Reality is Romney has declared…

Bradky on June 24, 2011 at 9:03 PM

And reality is that Perry hasn’t declared, either. And reality is also that Romney is one mighty weak and hittable frontrunner.

pseudoforce on June 24, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Bradky on June 24, 2011 at 9:05 PM

So where is he among GOP hopefuls right now? Eight percent or so?

pseudoforce on June 24, 2011 at 9:07 PM

I lied.

Reporter: So Mr. Romney do you still consider Romneycare your single greatest achievement to date?

Mitt: Hey look over there, it’s Rubio.

Geochelone on June 24, 2011 at 9:08 PM

pseudoforce on June 24, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Yes about 2 points behind Palin who has been on the poll list for over a year. Perry only recently indicated he might run.

Bradky on June 24, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Marcus on June 24, 2011 at 9:03 PM

August? Even Palin will likely announce something(positive or negative) before then. Maybe he’s holding off til she makes up her mind.

Doughboy on June 24, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Demographics would not be Romney’s primary concern in selecting a VP. This is going to get ugly before its all over, and like McCain, if Romney gets the nomination he will absolutely have to throw a bone to the conservative wing of the party. That will be his driving motivation in selecting a VP; his secondary concern will be selecting a candidate whose demographic/geographic profile expands the playing field. Luckily, 2010 gave us a bevy of candidates who satisfy both sides of the equation. Rubio, Bachmann, Haley, West, and maybe Jindal would soothe the Tea Party and enhance the demographic/geographic appeal of the ticket. Martinez certainly fits the demographic and geographic side of the equation, but she isn’t exactly a conservative star like any of the aforementioned.

Lawdawg86 on June 24, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Perry is a heavyweight with lots of credibility.

ROFLMAO!

Punchenko on June 24, 2011 at 9:10 PM

pseudoforce on June 24, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Bradky on June 24, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Palin’s at 10%? Wrong. And Palin’s never indicated one way or the other if she’s running.

pseudoforce on June 24, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Man, I’m getting to like Romney more and more! I’m getting really sick of commenter’s who won’t vote if he is the nominee! Then just vote for obama, the big zero, who will destroy this country in his next term because he doesn’t have to answer to anyone. I want to know how many laws he has signed under the table. Romney was a business man, I worked in the 2002 Olympics and know what he can do to rescue businesses.
He is not my first choice, but I will vote for him in a nano second to get rid of the fraud in office. Our country cannot afford more of obama!
Romney loves this country! There is no doubt about it. With a conservative congress he will be a great president.
I would like Romney/West. I prefer Rubio/West, but I guess that will be in the future, if we have one, but I doubt it with the brain dead posters.

Bambi on June 24, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Punchenko on June 24, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Yeah I know, 12 years as Governor of the country’s 2nd largest state with better economic growth than any other state. Just pales in comparison to a half term gov who fought the oil companies or something…

Bradky on June 24, 2011 at 9:13 PM

If Romney gets the nomination he will absolutely have to throw a bone to the conservative wing of the party…”

He might as well choose his wife, sons, or Huntsman – because Conservatives are NOT going to accept 2nd place again. There will be a third party – i don’t care if it’s Santorum, DeMint or whoever. And the Republicans will have to fight for 2nd place.

Marcus on June 24, 2011 at 9:14 PM

pseudoforce on June 24, 2011 at 9:11 PM

psst the thread is about Romney and Rubio. I answered the exit question and you bring in the Palin meme.
Keep up.

Bradky on June 24, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Name dropping VP candidates is a sign of weakness and desperation.

Romney smells of both.

portlandon on June 24, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Bradky on June 24, 2011 at 9:13 PM

That’s great if you’re a resume fetishist. Heck, Obama’s resume will be unbeatable in 2012. No one can match it, I don’t care if Perry’s been governor for 40 years.

pseudoforce on June 24, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Pseudoforce and Bradyk, what the hell are you two arguing about? One of them will get in, and one will stay out; can’t we all just agree to rally around the anti-Romney?

Lawdawg86 on June 24, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Doughboy on June 24, 2011 at 9:09 PM

he has back surgey in early July i would imagine he would need a couple weeks to recover before going on the campaign tour.

unseen on June 24, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Keep up.

Bradky on June 24, 2011 at 9:14 PM

And I responded to the answer. Can’t help it if you don’t like it.

pseudoforce on June 24, 2011 at 9:17 PM

Lawdawg86 on June 24, 2011 at 9:16 PM

I think both gets in and Perry takes from Mitt’s very weak “conservative” support.

unseen on June 24, 2011 at 9:17 PM

but I doubt it with the brain dead posters.

Bambi on June 24, 2011 at 9:13 PM

And “brain dead” Rush Limbaugh and Mark Levin and laura Ingraham – who have stated “2nd slot? – not this time”.

Marcus on June 24, 2011 at 9:17 PM

Lawdawg86 on June 24, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Bradky’s a party guy. He’ll rally around anyone not named Palin.

pseudoforce on June 24, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Romney’s ads are laser-focused and pitch-perfect.

nickj116 on June 24, 2011 at 9:19 PM

I mean he is the ultimate Rino in the view of the self proclaimed base.
Not sure how you square that logic with your bold statement.

Bradky on June 24, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Laalaalaalaalaa I can’t hear you!

csdeven on June 24, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Name dropping VP candidates is a sign of weakness and desperation.

Romney smells of both.

portlandon on June 24, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Very good point and dropping this VP caniddates’ names says his weaness and desperation is from the base and from conservatives. Mitt knows he can’t win the south and after Mccain/Palin I doubt the base will be mullified by a RINo/conservative match up again.

unseen on June 24, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Bradky’s a party guy. He’ll rally around anyone not named Palin.

pseudoforce on June 24, 2011 at 9:18 PM

It might hurt my feelings if you chastised other posters who go on about no one but Palin. You don’t so I recognize your barbs for what they are.

Bradky on June 24, 2011 at 9:20 PM

unseen on June 24, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Mark Davis said Perry would announce near his “prayer conference”, in August. I don’t know – for both Palin and Perry I say watch out for JULY 4th.
Mark Davis’ guy is …….Rick Santorum. He’s hosting Rush on Mon-Tues. Will be interested in how he steers the show.

Marcus on June 24, 2011 at 9:20 PM

You know Romney sucks. He isn’t worth my time to tell you all how much he sucks. Let’s just agree he sucks and will be the worse nominee since mcCain.

god I guess the GOp really wants to lose in 2012.

unseen on June 24, 2011 at 9:21 PM

I mean he is the ultimate Rino in the view of the self proclaimed base.
Not sure how you square that logic with your bold statement.

Bradky on June 24, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Laalaalaalaalaa I can’t hear you!

csdeven on June 24, 2011 at 9:19 PM

I don’t agree with the statement. It wouldn’t discredit Rubio, but I feel confident that Rubio wouldn’t run as Romney’s VP anyway. Who wants to be the scapegoat for another squish going down in flames?

pseudoforce on June 24, 2011 at 9:22 PM

Btw, those of you saying you’ll vote third party if Romney’s the nominee may as well say you’re voting for Obama. Because that’s exactly what you’ll be doing.

Idiots.

nickj116 on June 24, 2011 at 9:22 PM

Marcus on June 24, 2011 at 9:20 PM

crap well won’t be listening to rush on mon and tues then i don’t like Davis.

unseen on June 24, 2011 at 9:22 PM

other posters who go on about no one but Palin.

Bradky on June 24, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Aren’t you among that group?

pseudoforce on June 24, 2011 at 9:23 PM

I don’t see anyone wanting to go with Bachmann as a running mate, because of her limited appeal to independent voters and her freewheeling streak. Someone who decided to give her own response to the State of the Union can’t be trusted to stay on message for the General Election campaign. And then there’s the prospect of giving her the bully pulpit of the Vice-Presidency for eight years, along with the inevitable internal conflicts in the White House.

Having Bachmann as the #2 requires her to do well enough in the primaries to impress Republicans and Swing Voters (so you have a John Edwards in 2004 situation in which one of the also-rans becomes the party’s overwhelmingly preferred running mate), but not well enough to overtake a flawed candidate like Romney. That seems unlikely.

If Romney wants to court women and/or assuage Evangelicals, he has other options available.

As for Rubio, he would have plenty of reasons to agree to be Romney’s running mate (or anyone else’s for that matter.)

There is the possibility that the Republican ticket will win. Even if Obama is re-elected, the Republican Vice-Presidential nominee will have a major edge in the 2016 presidential primary, in terms of name-recognition and connections. That would be especially problematic for Rubio if Republicans went with another conservative Hispanic, such as Governor Luis Fortuno of Puerto Rico, Governor Brian Sandoval of Nevada, or Governor Susana Martinez of New Mexico, for the position.

Mister Mets on June 24, 2011 at 9:23 PM

unseen on June 24, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Operatives from other campaigns are doing the same (click on the link). That is what candidates do.. they float trial balloons on a variety of topics and get a sense of which way the voters are thinking. Politics 101.
Faux indignation noted.

Laalaalaalaalaa I can’t hear you!

csdeven on June 24, 2011 at 9:19 PM

LOL

Bradky on June 24, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Idiots.

nickj116 on June 24, 2011 at 9:22 PM

btw those saying they will vote for mitt in the primary may as well say you are voting for Obama in the general because that is exactly what you’ll be doing.

idiots.

unseen on June 24, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Idiots.

nickj116 on June 24, 2011 at 9:22 PM

I’m warning them months again I WILL VOTE THIRD PARTY IF ROMNEY IS THE NOMINEE. I can’t stand the man. And if you don’t think Obama won’t have a cake-walk portraying him as a silly spoiled rich kid, a worse narcissist than HE is, you’re the idiot.

Marcus on June 24, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Bradky on June 24, 2011 at 9:24 PM

yeah if mitt is looking for a savior this early in his campaign he will never win the general.

unseen on June 24, 2011 at 9:26 PM