Quotes of the day

posted at 10:37 pm on June 24, 2011 by Allahpundit

“In an interview with POLITICO, Huntsman made clear that he plans to capitalize on election rules in New Hampshire and South Carolina that allow independent voters to cast ballots in the GOP presidential primary.

“‘These are wide open primaries, we forget that,’ Huntsman said, predicting an independent turnout in New Hampshire as high as 40 percent. ‘[I] think, given the fluidity of the race in these early states, that we stand a pretty good chance, and we’re putting that to the test.’…

“Later in the day, John Weaver, Huntsman’s chief strategist, sought to clarify the ex-governor’s intentions by saying: ‘We intend to do well, in New Hampshire and South Carolina and Florida, among Republicans – and every indication that we have, early on, is that we will do so. Now, the fact that a candidate can attract independent votes is a good indication that they can be more viable in a general election. And at the end of the day, this is about beating Barack Obama. But our goal is to do well – extremely well – among Republicans.’”

***
“Mr. Huntsman is advancing the notion that there is a more nuanced, less reactionary strain in the party that feels underrepresented. And this seems to unduly irritate a lot of analysts. The feeling seems to be: We’ve already got this all figured out, and we know he’s wrong. So why is he still up there talking?

“Many politicians have qualities that can annoy those who cover them: self-importance, hypocrisy, elusiveness. But for whatever reason, none more offends the capital’s pundits and insiders than naïveté. We know the Republican Party won’t even entertain a conciliator as its nominee, just like we knew that Republicans after 2008 had been relegated to the minority for decades. We tend to ridicule anyone whose version of reality isn’t what we know it to be — until suddenly it is, and then you can bet that we saw it coming all along.

“Just to be clear: I’m not suggesting that Mr. Huntsman is likely to win. (Read my piece and you’ll see that I have my own reasons for skepticism.) But that doesn’t mean we should shower contempt on anyone who advances a competing theory of the moment. It costs us nothing to wait and find out.”

***
“Huntsman is the latest no-labels flavor of the month, a straw man of the same people who have spent the past year smearing entitlement reformers as senior citizen-killers, budget hawks as Hitler’s spawn, border-security activists as racists, and leading GOP women as sluts, nuts and bimbos.

“Just like the failed 2008 GOP contender whose consultants are now fueling the Huntsman bid, McCain 2.0 is a big-spending accommodationist more in tune with the Democratic elite than with the conservative rank-and-file. In the shadow of the Statue of Liberty on Tuesday, Huntsman assailed the current economic crisis overseen by the Obama administration as ‘totally unacceptable’ and “totally un-American.” Yet, Huntsman retains nothing but ‘respect’ for his former boss in the White House and laments the loss of ‘civility’ wrought by “corrosive” political debates…

“McCain’s Straight Talk Express ran out of gas when his former media paramours inevitably turned against him — and his gambit to out-big government the Democrats blew up in his two faces. So it will be with McHuntsman and his campaign wheels to nowhere.”

***
“Over the next few months, Mr. Huntsman is going to try a national version of the problem-solving approach he used in Utah: ‘Gather together stakeholders who have something invested in our economic well-being, whether small business people, bankers, traditional investors. I want to gather them together as I did in the election of 2004 when I ran for governor. Our economy was OK, but it was tired, and our entrepreneurs weren’t deploying their capital in our market. We went through a very rigorous exercise in 2004 before the election and did a very specific 10-point plan, and after the campaign I said, ‘This is our bible. Don’t try to sidetrack me; it’s the most important thing for the state.’ We went through all 10 points.’…

“Jon Huntsman, a discursive talker, brings a lot to the table. What remains to be seen is how he presents it all in a way Republican voters will want to buy. He’s been pegged as the man running toward the middle—with past positions in favor of cap-and-trade regimes (now repudiated) and gay civil unions. But to win, he still has to pull votes from the conservative base. How?

“‘When people look at what we’ve done,’ he says, ‘they’re going to say, ‘He’s a conservative problem solver.’ I’m going to point people in the direction of what we’ve done as governor. I’m pro-life, strongly pro-Second Amendment. I think there are enough voters who will say, ‘I may not like everything, but there’s enough here to like.’”

***

***

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Huntsman is the Phantom of Obama.

The only diff. is that he’ll gladly show you all his papers.

Schadenfreude on June 25, 2011 at 1:29 AM

The media should leave politician’s children alone. Not getting your point here.

Buy Danish on June 25, 2011 at 1:28 AM

We agree on that – read again, and listen…she caught herself.

Fortunately, we have help from the media. I have to say this: I’m very grateful for the support and kindness that we’ve gotten.

Schadenfreude on June 25, 2011 at 1:30 AM

I dunno. I read it. Palin, say, does not have help from the media, but that doesn’t make it wrong for the media to leave the Obama children alone – it just makes them wrong for being inconsistent and singling out the children of politicians they don’t like. But that’s not M.O.’s fault – unless one can show that the Obama’s (or their Dem operatives) are feeding negative stories to the media about other people’s children.

Buy Danish on June 25, 2011 at 1:42 AM

Do my eyes deceive me or does the middle Huntsman video, released two days ago on his campaign YouTube, have a grand total of 13 views?

Yep, and when he polled at 0% in Iowa, there were David Brooks and George Will saying he’s “one of the final 3″.

Marcus on June 24, 2011 at 11:24 PM

Someone tell the RINO squish and his “professional” handlers that you can buy views to your YouTube videos to fake some interest at least. I can’t see Obama’s bum-boy going far – he’s obviously a plant and just about everyone sees it now.

Ogabe on June 25, 2011 at 1:47 AM

Buy Danish on June 25, 2011 at 1:42 AM

I agree 100%. But we all know the Obama’s have a lot more help from the media than just (properly) keeping their kids out of the news.

Kataklysmic on June 25, 2011 at 1:50 AM

Kataklysmic on June 25, 2011 at 1:50 AM

Of course, but this was specifically in response to a question about her/their family.

Buy Danish on June 25, 2011 at 2:03 AM

…the Republican Party has several winning issues in 2012…

Meredith on June 25, 2011 at 12:55 AM

Like what? Romneycare?

The only thing “winning” about the Republican Party is the TEA party. The Republican Party was dead, “thought leaders” all said, until the TEA party decided to reanimate its stinking corpse to save the country. If you guys disregard the TEA parties efforts to save the country then I, for one, will be taking my business elsewhere. I’d just assume bury the Republican Party’s dead stinking corpse back at the base of that cliff where the so-called “thought leaders” crashed it.

FloatingRock on June 25, 2011 at 2:26 AM

The most idiotic thing I’ve read all day: Let’s blame gun violence by Chicago gangs on… Sarah Palin…

Exactly how do, legally owned guns, and Sarah Palin talking about the right to bear arms figure into gangs using – illegally obtained weapons?

If this guy is their “top cop” that city has more problems than it knows. Racing baiting and once agian trying to make Sarah Palin the scapegoat for something of which she has no part of. They really do fear her.

Sharr on June 25, 2011 at 3:06 AM

Smarmy.

Anyone who says the world is complex and complicated is a liberal trying to pull a fast one.

John the Libertarian on June 25, 2011 at 3:07 AM

I will sit out the election before I vote for this RINO. Let him run on the Democratic party against Obama.

pat on June 25, 2011 at 3:39 AM

Saying the future is reliant on leadership is saying the future is reliant on government.

theperfecteconomist on June 25, 2011 at 4:13 AM

O/T
=====

Hopey goes after the evil ATM Machines…and now this!
——————————————————-

Obama Praises Robots That “Boost The Performance Of Diapers”
June 24 2011
************
(Video)

“A few years ago, Procter & Gamble teamed up with the researchers at Los Alamos National Labs to adapt software developed for war — to figure out what is happening to nuclear particles — and they are using these simulators to dramatically boost the performance of … diapers,” President Obama said at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh.

“Yes, diapers,” Obama repeated. “You chuckle, but those who’ve been parents are always on the lookout for indestructible, military-grade diapers.”
========================================

canopfor on June 25, 2011 at 6:10 AM

Why is Huntsman (apparently) counting on “Indies” in NH, SC and elsewhere? Everyone knows that a dem “operation CHAOS” will have all dems/Indies voting FOR Palin in the Primaries to ensure a Palin/obamanation General election…

He’s polling below T-Paw, Cain, Paul and Santorum…

Gohawgs on June 25, 2011 at 6:13 AM

Gohawgs on June 25, 2011 at 6:13 AM

I honestly think I would vote for a Huckabee before a Huntsman; and the thought of that is enough to make one nauseous.

Geochelone on June 25, 2011 at 6:57 AM

I agree with a previous post. I will not vote for a RINO. Did Rockfeller’s people vote for Goldwater in 64? No. But when Reagan lost to Ford conservatives came out to vote. Not this time if Huntsman, the Obama clone wins.

taney71 on June 25, 2011 at 7:16 AM

^^ I agree. I would vote Huckabee (ugh) before Huntsman.

taney71 on June 25, 2011 at 7:17 AM

Geo,

With Huck you’d have Hope…

Gohawgs on June 25, 2011 at 7:18 AM

Gohawgs on June 25, 2011 at 6:13 AM

I have never really bought into this. I know there are lots of lefties who *claim* they are dying to run against Palin, but I just can’t see them crossing over and actually trying to make it happen. I think deep down they are afraid she can beat Obama because she provides the starkest contrast to him and this is why they have tried so hard to turn her into a joke and *act* like she would be the easiest to beat. I don’t think for a minute that they actually believe it.

Kataklysmic on June 25, 2011 at 7:19 AM

Well I happened upon this heart warming story by Marcia Morrissey about people struggling with challenging disabilities.

And then I read the very first comment. Word of warning., prepare to be repulsed.

That POS needs the Ban Hammer. Someone alert Ed or AP and let them use their judgement. I am not an overly religious person but I found it to be tasteless and very offensive. I can’t wrap my mind around how depraved some people can be.

Geochelone on June 25, 2011 at 7:28 AM

Gohawgs on June 25, 2011 at 7:18 AM

Dude, I’d vote for Hillary before Hunstman. Gawd help me.

Geochelone on June 25, 2011 at 7:30 AM

Kataklysmic on June 25, 2011 at 7:19 AM

My tongue was firmly planted in my “right” cheek…I guess we need to go back to including / tags…

Dire’s fault…

Gohawgs on June 25, 2011 at 7:33 AM

Geochelone on June 25, 2011 at 7:28 AM

Most of the comments were in that vain vein…

Btw, Hillary isn’t from Hope…

Gohawgs on June 25, 2011 at 7:34 AM

Geochelone on June 25, 2011 at 7:30 AM

Hillary and the obamanation believe in the same things…

Gohawgs on June 25, 2011 at 7:35 AM

Dire’s fault…

Gohawgs on June 25, 2011 at 7:33 AM

Gotcha. Probably my fault–I haven’t been to bed yet. The sad part is that half the commenters at HA actually believe that lefties would cross over and vote for her. Still no excuse for me to assume you fall among that group though–your analysis is always spot on.

Kataklysmic on June 25, 2011 at 7:36 AM

Geochelone on June 25, 2011 at 7:28 AM

I can’t tell you how many people I have known who decided at some point to not believe in God (usually after some HUGE disappointment like getting dumped by a significant other) and now constantly make comments like that first post. Boggles the mind. Why would God to to the trouble of testing us with life if there weren’t going to be any actual, you know, challenges?

Kataklysmic on June 25, 2011 at 7:40 AM

Ok here is how bad Huntsman is:

Below is a list of people that are not as bad as him:

Pat Robertson
Ralph Nader
Jerry Brown
Hugo Chavez
Sean Penn
Michael Moore
Bill Maher
Megan McCain

Ok I admit, I am getting carried away with the last few.

Geochelone on June 25, 2011 at 7:40 AM

Kataklysmic on June 25, 2011 at 7:36 AM

Thanx…

Gohawgs on June 25, 2011 at 7:42 AM

Kataklysmic on June 25, 2011 at 7:40 AM

I agree.

Geochelone on June 25, 2011 at 7:47 AM

Hmmmm. AmJean, petunia…AmJean, Lourdes…Amjean, petunia, Lourdes…

Gohawgs on June 25, 2011 at 7:50 AM

Gohawgs on June 25, 2011 at 7:35 AM

They are both disciples of Saul Alinsky.

Geochelone on June 25, 2011 at 7:51 AM

They are both disciples of Saul Alinsky.

Geochelone on June 25, 2011 at 7:51 AM

And one (that we know of) wrote her thesis on Alinsky…

Gohawgs on June 25, 2011 at 7:53 AM

Gohawgs on June 25, 2011 at 7:53 AM

And that same person is now haunted by Lewinski.

Geochelone on June 25, 2011 at 7:56 AM

Geochelone on June 25, 2011 at 7:56 AM

While BillyJeff was getting Lewinski’d, Hillary was getting Huma’d (and has been ever since)…

Gohawgs on June 25, 2011 at 8:03 AM

Gohawgs on June 25, 2011 at 8:03 AM

How shocking it was to find Muslim brotherhood connections so close to HRCs inner sanctum. The is a Weiner joke in there somewhere.

Geochelone on June 25, 2011 at 8:08 AM

Geochelone on June 25, 2011 at 8:08 AM

With all those FBI floating around the WH dining room, one would think that that little tidbit of info was included somewhere…

Gohawgs on June 25, 2011 at 8:11 AM

What a surprise…the media approving of and rewarding the weakest candidate in the field against Obama. That’s the message they’re putting out: treat our Obama baby with kid gloves and we’ll be sooo nice to you in return. Until the general comes along, that is. We’ve all seen this before. Wake up, chumps.

RepubChica on June 25, 2011 at 8:12 AM

Matt Bai, NYT

Were America’s economy strong, it might not cost us anything to wait and find out.

But we are bankrupt, and our nation’s establishment leadership divines to assume the debts of globalist pirates to pay off Ponzi scheme bailing out one after the other.

THAT is our reality. As Mark Steyn criticized Paul Ryan’s Roadmap, we haven’t ten years to correct the position of the Dollar.

We saw Paulson’s villainy, and witness Geithner’s fraud today. The grim reaper has entered our Treasury’s door and has already plundered everything, leaving our dollar without value, translating our industry against our nation’s interests, belonging to globalist corporations specifically designing our nation’s downfall along with the economic downfall of every other sovereign nation.

Take Mark Levin’s advice. Eject international corporatism from our Oval Office. And reject the so-called “winnable” candidacies of globalist corporatists whose leadership functions to pirate what goods yet remain of America the Beautiful, while dismissing the Constitution out of hand.

maverick muse on June 25, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Gohawgs on June 25, 2011 at 8:11 AM

A radical Muslim pipeline direct to the SOS goes unnoticed? Now that just couldn’t happen. The department of state probably has a T1 line to wikileaks servers to save Assange the trouble of using thumb drives.

Geochelone on June 25, 2011 at 8:21 AM

I’d vote for the Mark Levin and Sarah Palin GOP ticket.

That’s as strong a campaign ticket as I can imagine /which says a lot/.

maverick muse on June 25, 2011 at 8:21 AM

Some questionables? Cap and trade. Joined the Obama administration, calling him a “remarkable president” after ObamaCare and Porkulous. Staying with Obama after his international apology tour, after Obama’s decision to close Gitmo, after his decision to try KSM in NYC, after…

Get real.

TXUS on June 25, 2011 at 12:55 AM

I certainly didn’t see Petraeus or Gates heading for the hills, did you? I rather have Republicans influencing policy on defense and our relationships with China than another Friedman-esque Democrat swooning over China’s state-led capitalism. I don’t recall Huntsman calling Obama a “remarkable leader” based on his policy decisions and to suggest he did is quite the stretch.

Punchenko on June 25, 2011 at 8:22 AM

Geochelone on June 25, 2011 at 8:21 AM

Not unnoticed. Just like the Barney Frank/prostitute boyfriend didn’t go unnoticed. It’s just not being reported on and/or investigated due to who is involved…

Gohawgs on June 25, 2011 at 8:25 AM

well, if he is the nominee…don’t stay home like a punk and ruin our country even worse. That, selfish, idiotic thinking put us where we are today.

tomas on June 25, 2011 at 8:31 AM

Gohawgs on June 25, 2011 at 8:25 AM

Yep. The MSM deploys their cloaking device to run cover for the Donks.
I am going to start calling them the Main Stream Mafia from now on.

Geochelone on June 25, 2011 at 8:33 AM

All you need to know about Huntsman is that he is an AGW- swallowing non-thinker who respects the man who has brought America to the financial brink and who has destroyed its leadership position in the world.

Basilsbest on June 25, 2011 at 8:55 AM

Geochelone on June 25, 2011 at 8:33 AM

That, or 5th Column…

Gohawgs on June 25, 2011 at 8:56 AM

Schadenfreude on June 25, 2011 at 1:24 AM

Is that a real quote? How many times can a grown woman, experienced in public speaking, say “you know”?

Cindy Munford on June 25, 2011 at 8:59 AM

Not…

OmahaConservative on June 25, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Huntsman = Perfect RINO…stands for nothing, accomplishes noting, drags others to the middle where they get their asses beat…LOSER

winston on June 25, 2011 at 9:16 AM

When Conservatives were leading and winning hearts.

Thank you for posting this earlier.

I’m adding it my screen saver.

Y’all have a great day, we’s headed out to da lake wit ar Jet Skis.

Ya otta see Mammy flyin cross the lake with the gray hair poppin Bobby pins out right and left.

PappyD61 on June 25, 2011 at 9:20 AM

This dickhead will not even be a trivia question answer. He will be forgotten by November 2011 let alone 2012. Another MSM creation for the benefit of us benighted conservatives. The only question is why was Huntsman stupid enough to waste his time and effort on running?

PD Quig on June 25, 2011 at 9:26 AM

Huntsman = ObaMao

Speechworld vs. Realworld: http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/270460/speechworld-vs-realworld-mark-steyn#comment-194864

Thank you, Mark Steyn. You never fail.

onlineanalyst on June 25, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Geochelone on June 25, 2011 at 8:08 AM

Yup, Huma is the “beard” in the hide-the-weiner party game.

onlineanalyst on June 25, 2011 at 9:34 AM

Huntsman could do fine in the Democrat primary. He’s telegenic and liberal. He could do well against the “present” president. Plus he could end up in the general election running against Romney for some Mormon-on-Mormon action! Pass the popcorn.

Kenosha Kid on June 25, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Obama/Huntsman 2012

SurferDoc on June 25, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Huntsman’s job is to triangulate for Obowma, pure and simple. Throw in Donald Trump’s “independent” bid early next year as liberal attempts to have Obowma reelected.

dthorny on June 25, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Right now I’m only working on instinct here, but I don’t like this guy. I’m open, if unenthused about the rest of the candidates but not Mr. Huntsman. Can’t put my finger on it.

Cindy Munford on June 25, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Geochelone on June 25, 2011 at 8:08 AM
Yup, Huma is the “beard” in the hide-the-weiner party game.

onlineanalyst on June 25, 2011 at 9:34 AM

They need a congressional probe?

dthorny on June 25, 2011 at 9:54 AM

dhthorny: That comment thar was a Huma-dinger.

onlineanalyst on June 25, 2011 at 10:06 AM

He looks like he has never kissed a girl or punched a boy.

SurferDoc on June 25, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Re/ Reagan and Thatcher

I love this photo I saw in magnificent glory taking up a huge space at the Reagan library. Two kick-ass leaders:

Marcus on June 25, 2011 at 10:15 AM

To be honest, I don’t understand the logic here. Huntsman has a conservative voting as governor of Utah. He’s pro-life, pro-2nd amendment, against gay marriage, big-time tax cutter, pro-free trade, favors market-based solutions to economic problems (he backed Paul Ryan’s plan, and didn’t go the mandated health-care route in Utah), and strong on defense.

While he was governor of Utah, the state saw a gigantic growth of employment and a surplus, and got praised for being one of the best managed states in the U.S.

But here’s something to ponder: Why does Rick Perry get a pass, but Huntsman does not? Perry supports giving illegals government benefits. He was Al Gore’s campaign adviser (this was after he changed his party ID). Huntsman? He worked for Obama, but only in a non-partisan position and spent most of his time in China, not advising Obama on economic policies.

Personally, I find it a virtue that he’s popular among indies and Democrats. This means, when the general comes around, he can easily beat Obama.

Frank T.J Mackey on June 25, 2011 at 11:06 AM

It costs us nothing to wait and find out

What a surprise, the ny times is telling republicans how they should think and allah is giving it credence. Can’t anyone get allah a job interview at the huff po?

peacenprosperity on June 25, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Frank T.J Mackey on June 25, 2011 at 11:06 AM

All good points… But this is going to be a dog fight. Its going to get down and dirty. Does Huntsman have the stones to fight back when BO and the LSM start getting ugly or will he pull a McCain. Mark my words, BO supporters will lie, cheat and steel to keep BO in office. We can’t afford another “kumbia” candidate.

Badbrucskie on June 25, 2011 at 2:15 PM

That’s not an impulse typically ascribed to political candidates. Huntsman’s bet is that voters are looking for something different.

Wrong time. Plus, the picture in the article, yak, yak, yak.

Schadenfreude on June 25, 2011 at 2:39 PM

Badbrucskie,

If Huntsman does get the nomination, I don’t see him resorting to dirty tricks (No SC-McCain incidents), but I do see him setting up campaign commercials pointing out how he failed America (which is pretty obvious), and never lived up to the hype.

The problem here is that some misinterpreted Huntsman’s statement about “civility.” He wasn’t saying we need to run a “nice campaign, no attacks” style campaign, but that we need to run a campaign which attacks purely on the issues, not going after another family or accuse others of racism.

Frank T.J Mackey on June 25, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Who?

MassVictim on June 25, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Maybe Ms Pelosi will tell us that we need to elect him in order to find out about him.

TimBuk3 on June 26, 2011 at 11:42 AM