The obligatory “Palin’s bus tour might be over, or maybe not” post; Update: Palin cancels planned trip to Sudan

posted at 4:40 pm on June 22, 2011 by Allahpundit

I felt like the “double rainbow” guy reading this. Ohhhhhhhhh, wha-ha-wowwwww. What does this mean?

Though Palin and her staff never announced a timeline for the remaining legs of her trip, aides had drafted preliminary itineraries that would have taken her through the Midwest and Southeast at some point this month. But those travel blueprints are now in limbo, RCP has learned, as Palin and her family have reverted to the friendly confines of summertime Alaska, where the skies are currently alight for over 19 hours a day and the Bristol Bay salmon fishing season is nearing its peak.

As Palin enjoys her sojourn to the 49th state, she has not reconnected with key early-state figures like Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad and South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, and she may have jeopardized whatever political momentum she gained from her recent reemergence in the 2012 discussion. Her political action committee’s website still greets visitors with a stale banner, announcing the nationwide bus tour beginning “[t]his Sunday, May 29th.”…

And earlier this week, some of her staunchest supporters grew concerned about gossip suggesting that she had reached out to Texas Gov. Rick Perry about lending her support to his potential presidential run. But two Perry aides told RCP that they were not aware of any recent contact between Palin and the Texas governor.

Palin’s extended hiatus could mean that in spite of her readily apparent “fire in the belly,” her family has persuaded her not to further pursue the presidency. Alternatively, it could indicate just the opposite — that she is plotting her next move and wants to ensure that it is well thought-out — and that she retains the element of surprise. Indeed, the problem with assessing how Palin’s movements figure into her 2012 calculus is that she remains one of the most unpredictable political figures in America — even to her most trusted aides.

That’s from RCP’s Scott Conroy, who’s rattled off a series of Palin scoops over the past month. First he broke the news about “The Undefeated,” then he had early details about her bus tour, then a few days later he revealed that the tour would include stops in Iowa (according to “two sources with direct knowledge of the plan”). On June 2, he warned readers that Palin really, truly might not have made up her mind on whether to run, noting that “Several close Palin associates, in recent private conversations with RCP, have said the same thing.” All of which is to say, this guy clearly has an in with people in her orbit and presumably reached out to them to discuss the sudden change of plans. If they knew that the tour would be picking up again later this summer or that she’s hunkered down in anticipation of an announcement, I take it they would have said something to him to steer him away from his suggestion that she may have jeopardized the media momentum from her bus tour by suspending it before the final legs. The “unpredictable Palin” meme isn’t one they want floating around on the eve of a potential presidential campaign. I’m surprised they left it hanging out there for Conroy.

As for the rumors about her sitting out and endorsing Rick Perry instead, how do you think Ed Rollins felt when he read that? Ohhhhhhhhh, wha-ha-wowwwww. Exit question: What does this mean?

Update: Another change of plans, this one attributed to “scheduling” reasons. What does this mean?

Palin scrapped her plans to visit the North African country for scheduling reasons, several sources close to Palin said. She was planning to travel with Franklin Graham, the son of evangelical leader Billy Graham, as well as Fox News personality Greta Van Susteren to the July 9 independence ceremony of South Sudan, the sources said…

One U.S. official who spoke on condition of anonymity because of Palin’s potential political aspirations said the governor had gotten so far in the planning process as to secure permission from the government of South Sudan to attend the independence ceremony. The official said Palin was planning to travel with Van Susteren in addition to Graham.

The official said one challenge of the trip was security; Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, who is also tentatively scheduled to attend the ceremony, may not make the trip because of safety concerns in one of the world’s most war-torn countries.

Update: A new tweet from Palin herself:

I did? Hmm, glad I have media to let me know my plans. They never cease to amaze MT “@foxheadlines Palin Ends Bus Tour http://fxn.ws/ip0mgb”

The media outlet she’s chastising there is … Fox News. Note the non-denial denial too; she used the same sort of rhetoric last week in responding to R.S. McCain’s report that she was close to deciding whether to run or not.

Update: A reader points to this June 1 report at ABC as proof that Palin always intended to return to Alaska after the northeastern leg of the bus tour ended. Right — I don’t think Conroy’s suggesting otherwise. His point isn’t that she’s made some sort of unplanned trip home, it’s that allegedly her aides prepared an itinerary for a new leg of the tour and that itinerary’s not being implemented for some unknown reason. If staying home for the better part of June was always the plan, presumably one of Conroy’s sources would have told him that to set him straight.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 10 11 12

Amjean on June 23, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Have you seen the ABC interview report, cited several times in this thread, where she told the ABC reporter that after the NE leg that she and her family were going back to Alaska before heading out again?

Like the RV trip, Palin doesn’t have to provide a daily/weekly/monthly itenerary of her planned activities. She’s a private citizen. IF the LSM would pay attn, maybe do a bit of journalism here and there, they would have to make up stories out of whole cloth…

Gohawgs on June 23, 2011 at 10:46 PM

would should be “wouldn’t”

Gohawgs on June 23, 2011 at 10:47 PM

No, Amjean is obviously unaware of this. Apparently, so is Tina Korbe, because she linked to this thread in the new Bachmann post, without acknowledging what Palin said, both prior to and since her “pitstop” was reported on.

The hell with facts. “They” will believe what they want to believe about Palin, and “they” will blame her, regardless of whether she is actually at fault in any way.

JannyMae on June 23, 2011 at 10:53 PM

She KNEW she was going dark and
didn’t say one word; teasing/taunting the media, knowing
they would make up stuff since they didn’t have the facts
that she herself could have given them.

Amjean on June 23, 2011 at 10:30 PM

But she did say what she was doing, very clearly, in the ABC interview before the end of the NE leg of the tour.

I am unsure why you are hanging onto this. She said what she was going to do and then did it.

Missy on June 23, 2011 at 11:28 PM

There Goes The Neighborhood on June 23, 2011 at 11:00 AM

You are taking the position that terrorists take when their initial attacks are rendered moot. You blame the person who you attacked for reacting to the attack. Irrespective of what you claim, your mindset is that of a progressive.

If you ceased the personal attacks on those who criticize Palin, the criticism of your personal attacks could not be voiced. As it is you wrap yourself in the vileness like a terrorist wears a suicide vest. You can’t wait to inflict damage on those you hate and care not how it damages your psyche and the unflattering image of you it creates.

csdeven on June 23, 2011 at 11:51 AM

So I’m like a terrorist now. Got it.

This latest attack of yours is so far over the top that I frankly don’t even feel the need to refute it.

There Goes The Neighborhood on June 24, 2011 at 12:21 AM

You WANT to be offended so rather than ASK me if I was comparing you to a terrorist, you believe the worst possible scenario, so you can justify escalating this into threatening me with violence. You have been waiting to be violent because you’re frustrated that I would never threaten you with violence.

Do you see how far into the weeds you have traveled? You are actually threatening me with violence. And why? Because you cannot abide anyone criticizing Palin and when they do you respond with personal insults. And when the insults don’t work, you mock, When mocking fails, you mimic the responses from others. When that fails you do what you just did, you threaten violence. Well I’m going to enlighten you to a stark reality. Your threats of violence wont work either. You are no threat to me so who are you really hurting? You and only you.

You want some free advice? In order to find some peace in your life, examine why you respond to criticisms of Palin with insults toward your fellow HA members. Fix that and you’ll be less prone to threaten violence.

csdeven on June 23, 2011 at 2:52 PM

I have never addressed you before and never will again. But How Dare You compare Palin supporters to terrorists, progressives and Alynskiites?? You did it more than once in this thread alone. You need to STAND DOWN or be banned.

He wasn’t threatening violence, you worm.

And Amjean? Quit yer bitchin’. You are no Palin supporter. Period.

Dang, what is this, junior high?

Opinionator on June 24, 2011 at 2:27 AM

csdeven on June 23, 2011 at 2:52 PM

He wasn’t threatening violence, you worm.

And Amjean? Quit yer bi!chin’. You are no Palin supporter. Period.

Dang, what is this, junior high?

Opinionator on June 24, 2011 at 2:37 AM

Note to George Soros//MM/OFA/etc., etc., and your teeny tiny impotent minions:

Your trolls are pitiful and overpaid by you. (Yes, you’re wasting your money which you’ve stolen from others.) Actually, they’re clearly deranged. You fail here and elsewhere. /You can spot your trolls a mile away on this blog and others.

We’re on to you.

Give it up. America will prevail. We are stronger than you: Little Impotent Worm Soros.

Opinionator on June 24, 2011 at 3:10 AM

JannyMae on June 23, 2011 at 10:53 PM

“It’s a circus” I tell ya, “a circus”…

Gohawgs on June 24, 2011 at 4:15 AM

But it hasn’t been a month. It’s been two weeks, preceded by a clear statement that she was taking the family back to Alaska for a break and the tour would start up again later in the summer.

Missy

I thought it was about jury duty, not a planned break.

There ya go. Dan did better reporting than all the reporters who reported this.

Brian1972

But not even his reporting confirmed that she really does have jury duty, he merely confirmed that jury duty exists in Alaska, which was never in doubt.

For the record, I couldn’t care less if she quit her tour, or just postponed it. It is, however, unusual to not issue a press release, or some other notification keeping her fans/potential voters updated on what’s going on though. It’s not like this is just your standard family vacation, it’s a strategically planned publicity tour. As such, I think it’s pretty obvious at this point that the tour is likely over, despite the various excuses created by some of her naive and less stable fans here at HA. Cheer up guys, it’s probably over because she’s getting into the presidential race.

xblade on June 24, 2011 at 3:37 PM

I thought it was about jury duty, not a planned break.

She said they were taking a planned break. She didn’t specify why. Presumably, jury duty, fishing work, and various other activities could all be involved. This is a large family with multiple obligations and needs. It’s also summer in Alaska, which I imagine is pretty precious time to those who live there.

Unusual for what? For who? For Palin? For potential POTUS candidates (who are also private citizens) taking their family on a multi-state bus tour? That is rather a small category and I doubt your “unusual” generalization has much if any precedent. It certainly isn’t useful.

She said she was taking a break and she took a break. Probably for multiple reasons. All of two weeks ago. It’s folks like you who are making a big fuss for little reason.

Missy on June 24, 2011 at 3:52 PM

JannyMae on June 23, 2011 at 10:53 PM
Apologies to any strippers who post on Hot Air (LOL – who would that be?), however, I must say that anyone with a stripper moniker must be a dumbass and your comments to my post prove it.

You and goathog, whatever his/her moniker is, missed the
point entirely.

My point is that Palin purposely went off the radar so the media would get all wee wee’d up when she didn’t get back
on her bus. I think that strategy is childish. I also
think that the media are mostly opportunistic jerks who would sell their own mothers for a good Palin story; that
said, it is no reason to spur them on and stoop to their level. She also left her supporters in the dark where on blogs across the country they posted questioning what was goin on. I have read comments that Palin is a private citizen and doesn’t need to tell the media what she is doing. That may be true, however, being a private citizen
did not prevent Palin from sending out letters requesting funds for her SarahPac. I think it would have been courteous to let her supporters know that she was going under the radar for a month or so; jury duty?

I support Palin for president and have since I read her
record; something I doubt you have done. The fact that I
disagree with her on strategy should no way be construed
as Palin bashing. Actually, it more than likely proves that I am not a Palinista, Palinbot or whatever whackto term people with PDS use.

Amjean on June 24, 2011 at 8:44 PM

No, sorry. The way you characterize it is completely false. Her pitstop in Alaska was on her shedule. She did nothing deliberately. You are full of horse manure. You are not disagreeing with Palin’s strategy, you are lying about it.

Thank you for insulting me. My name is Janet Mae, and JannyMae happens to be what I was called when I was a very little girl. I am glad to know I was called by a “stripper moniker” when I was five. You have no idea what I know about Palin, but I know more about you now, than I cared too. Bye.

JannyMae on June 24, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Amjean on June 24, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Palin to ABC reporter…I’m going back to Alaska before picking up the RV tour again. At least that’s the tentative plan…

Maybe 2 weeks later, the MSM and a certain blogger fabricate a false story about Palin out of whole cloth. No research, no checking previous statements, no phone call to Palin or her staff…And some get wee wee’d up because a private citizen in a free Country didn’t update them with a detailed travel itenerary and/or daily schedule…

Gohawgs on June 25, 2011 at 2:46 AM

JannyMae on June 24, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Amjean on June 24, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Gohawgs on June 25, 2011 at 2:46 AM

God almighty! Can’t the two of you read? Now I know
why many posters call out the Palinistas. This brain dead
sense of jumping down the throat of anyone who dare
criticize Palin. Ignorning any facts.
The blind worship. The same old rebuttal post after post;
deliberately ignoring the original post’s intent.

Amjean on June 25, 2011 at 7:20 AM

Ignorning any facts.

I think it is the commenter who just KNOWS that Palin’s “strategy” was to “go dark for a month” on purpose, simply to tease the media, who is ignoring facts.

The facts are that two weeks ago she stated she was taking a break and then she took one.

You can speculate all you want about her intentions, but you can’t read her mind. So your speculation is just that, speculation. It isn’t “facts.”

Missy on June 25, 2011 at 2:09 PM