Noted motorcyclist announces POTUS bid UPDATE: Networks cut away?

posted at 9:50 am on June 21, 2011 by Jazz Shaw

After a week of puzzling web ads showing a motorcyclist crossing the desert, Jon Huntsman is making it official today as he tosses his hat in the ring for the GOP nomination. It’s obviously no accident that he’ll be launching his bid at the feet of the Statue of Liberty and quoting Reagan extensively in his remarks. The scheduled time is 10 AM eastern, so we’ll have the live feed of it right here for you to watch. After he’s done, we’ll swap that out for a video replay for those who missed it.

Video and then a few selections from his scheduled remarks follow. (You’ll want to check out the final quotes in particular.)

For the first time in our history, we are about to pass down to the next generation a country that is less powerful, less compassionate, less competitive and less confident than the one we got.

This is totally unacceptable and totally un-American.

And it need not, must not, will not be our permanent condition! We will not be the first American generation that lets down the next generation…

Here’s one portion which I’m sure will raise a few eyebrows in the comments section:

I don’t think you need to run down anyone’s reputation to run for President. Of course we’ll have our disagreements. I respect my fellow Republican candidates. And I respect the President. He and I have a difference of opinion on how to help the country we both love. But the question each of us wants the voters to answer is who will be the better President; not who’s the better American.

Have at it.

UPDATE: Well, if Jon was hoping to impress the media, it seems to have failed. I had MSNBC on (don’t ask) and they barely aired a minute of the speech before cutting away while Huntsman was still speaking and critiquing the announcement. (It was pronounced “not exciting enough” for somebody with such low name recognition.) Checking in with other viewers of Fox and CNN, they are responding saying that neither of those networks lasted longer than 90 seconds before cutting away. Take from that what you will.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Put a cardigan on that guy, and its like watching Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood.

Without a Trolley.

Which means it sucks.

portlandon on June 21, 2011 at 11:26 AM

It doesn’t matter who the Republican nominee turns out to be. The MSM isn’t going to give him (or her) an even break.

RebeccaH on June 21, 2011 at 11:29 AM

The MSM cut away? Say it ain’t so, Morning Joe!!!

Gohawgs on June 21, 2011 at 11:33 AM

You Betcha Marcus :)

cmsinaz on June 21, 2011 at 11:34 AM

This will be the media’s candidate. Watch for it!

silvernana on June 21, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Reagan makes appearances in his ads… he served for Reagan a while back.

TimeTraveler on June 21, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Well, the more the merrier! How many do have declared they’re running now, I’ve lost track? He could be worth watching, but the MSM has already ruled out every other GOP candidate so why not rule him out too?

scalleywag on June 21, 2011 at 11:41 AM

wow – this guy’s so NON, his thread doesn’t even rate a troll.

itsacookbook on June 21, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Gee, maybe Huntsman should have taken that motorcycle of his and jumped over some cars through a flaming hoop or something first before making his announcement, huh?

pilamaye on June 21, 2011 at 11:42 AM

I cut away around 8 am. I’m quite tired of the news right now.

Hot Air interests me. News on the air, yawn!

Oh, and Rino Huntsman does nothing for me either.

capejasmine on June 21, 2011 at 11:43 AM

He is silvernana, he is….

cmsinaz on June 21, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Is he running in the primary against Obama?

I like his hair better than BHO.

Vote Jon Huntsman, Democrat 2012!!!

PappyD61 on June 21, 2011 at 11:48 AM

I cut away after 8 seconds. :)

tickleddragon on June 21, 2011 at 11:50 AM

I guess the political elite ruling class figures that if enough of them run…

… then there is a better chance of one of their own getting elected.

Stupid voters…

… They are so easily manipulated.

Seven Percent Solution on June 21, 2011 at 11:57 AM

And I respect the President.

That’s it, I’m not voting for Huntsman…

jeffn21 on June 21, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Besides Hollywood, what other profession attracts more narcissistic lightweights? Other than good looks, Daddy’s money, a flair for grandstanding; why would you trade in one idiot like Obama for one only marginally better?

If all of the media outlets cut away so fast, what’s with the meme that this is who the main stream media wants to represent the Pubbies??

Bob in VA on June 21, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Jon who?

44Magnum on June 21, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Joe milquetoast is exactly whom the leftist media has been searching for. Watch the accolades start to flow.

rplat on June 21, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Jon Huntsmeh.

BHO Jonestown on June 21, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Huntsman = closet Communist.

KMC1 on June 21, 2011 at 12:35 PM

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz………

Little Boomer on June 21, 2011 at 12:40 PM

jeffn21 on June 21, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Ditto and ditto.

I have yet to be convinced that Obama loves America.

Why is Huntsman even bothering to run as an R?

Why don’t he and Mitt try to primary Obama? Now, that would be interesting.

INC on June 21, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Why, what is he going to accomplish? Ego’s are running amok, or is it that Obama is pegged as so beatable everyone wants a piece of him.
My gardener is thinking of running…

right2bright on June 21, 2011 at 1:12 PM

It is an insult to one of the greatest presidents we’ve ever had, by comparing himself to Ronald Reagan. Reagan was not a RINO and had no patients for these kind of wussies.

flytier on June 21, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Uh oh. Compassionate conservative alert.

aengus on June 21, 2011 at 1:29 PM

s/b..

aengus on June 21, 2011 at 1:29 PM

No-drama-Obama, no less, no more.

He’ll screw you too, just with more finesse.

Schadenfreude on June 21, 2011 at 1:44 PM

He seems well rehearsed, needs his notes, looks like a President, but did you catch the phoniness in the posed wave when he got off the platform. He holds the wave for the money shot with Lady Liberty in the background.

FAKE.

PappyD61 on June 21, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Since we don’t have a thread for this yet and this Huntsman thread is going nowhere near 500 comments how about some real “news”. :-)

PappyD61 on June 21, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Well, my feeling about Huntsm– zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…….

nickj116 on June 21, 2011 at 2:09 PM

The more the merrier.

changer1701 on June 21, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Screw this tool.

RedNewEnglander on June 21, 2011 at 2:16 PM

I wonder if he is a stalking horse for little Bammie, -trying to get the Republican nomination, only to then put in a half-hearted McCain-like campaign against the jackass.

slickwillie2001 on June 21, 2011 at 2:16 PM

If I could ask him one question it would be: WTF do you mean America is less compassionate?

I’d like to know too. The last ‘compassionate’ conservative we had exploded our debt. (I love Bush the guy and miss him–I don’t miss his spending though.)

MaggiePoo on June 21, 2011 at 3:01 PM

“I had MSNBC on (don’t ask) and they barely aired a minute of the speech before cutting away while Huntsman was still speaking…”

What?
Were his next words “Under God” or something?

mrt721 on June 21, 2011 at 3:08 PM

With all the media hype about Huntsman, I would have expected more than 137 comments about his announcement ;)

phreshone on June 21, 2011 at 4:40 PM

wow – this guy’s so NON, his thread doesn’t even rate a troll.

itsacookbook on June 21, 2011 at 11:41 AM

LOL! This is a great marker for a HOT candidate. I will have to share this!!!

Mutnodjmet on June 21, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Was the small crowd when the camera panned around in the beginning the whole crowd? He can’t pay enough people to show up for such an event?

bayview on June 21, 2011 at 7:38 PM

I’d take Romney over Huntsman, and that’s saying something.

Paid for by the Committee to Erect Anthony Weiner on June 22, 2011 at 1:10 AM

Jon Yawnzman.

BuckeyeSam on June 22, 2011 at 4:40 AM

I understand that sail boarding makes one look manly, too. He’s all fluff and no stuff.

Kissmygrits on June 22, 2011 at 8:45 AM

Huntsman must be blind or naive if he really believes the President cares about our country.

zoyclem on June 22, 2011 at 4:38 PM