Energy and Commerce Chairman: Look for light bulb agreement “soon”

posted at 8:00 pm on June 21, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Texas Gov. Rick Perry yesterday ensured Texans will be able to use incandescent light bulbs as long as they’re manufactured in Texas — but the rest of us just might be able to enjoy their rosy glow a little longer, too. Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman Fred Upton (R-Mich.) today hinted at a possible agreement that would alter the Environmental Protection Agency’s proposed 2012 phase-out of the incandescent light bulb.

At The Heritage Foundation’s Bloggers Briefing this afternoon, Heritage web editor Amy Payne directed a pointed question to the Congressman. “Will we be able to keep our light bulbs?” she asked.

Upton’s answer was cryptic, but encouraging. “That is an issue that is out there,” he said. “I’ve been working closely with [Rep.] Joe Barton [R-Tex.] and [Rep.] Mike Burgess [R-Tex.] and we’re very close to seeing an agreement merge and happen, so stay tuned. … A couple different things that we’re looking at. Just stay tuned in the next couple days, actually. Maybe a little breaking news — well, let’s just say ‘soon.’ We’ve had some good conversations and we’ll see where we are later in the week.”

Last Congress, Barton and Burgess, along with Tennessee Republican Rep. Marsha Blackburn, introduced the BULB Act, which would have repealed Subtitle B of Title III of the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 — the phase-out of the incandescent bulb.

What Upton had to say about oil production in the Gulf of Mexico was less encouraging, however.

“The sad news is, the Gulf produces a third of our oil, but because we’ve said no to new leases, etc., over the last year since [the] BP [Deepwater Horizon oil spill], the oil production has actually declined by 110,000 barrels a day just on the Department of Energy forecast from last year,” Upton said.

Fortunately, the Chairman understands that’s a problem.

“That’s got to change. We’ve got to do something to change that,” he said.

Agreed.

Comments

“That’s got to change. We’ve got to do something to change that,” he said.
Agreed.

Hear!..Hear!..:)

Dire Straits on June 21, 2011 at 8:03 PM

I want my 100-watts!

alwaysfiredup on June 21, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Dimwits in Wash. turning on their light bulbs.

Schadenfreude on June 21, 2011 at 8:05 PM

More pandering to the unwashed masses just in time for Barry’s campaign.

Knucklehead on June 21, 2011 at 8:06 PM

I have a stockpile of them…

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2011 at 8:07 PM

I want my 100-watts!

alwaysfiredup on June 21, 2011 at 8:03 PM

I’ve got over 300 of them. I started stocking up when this BS first passed.

predator on June 21, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Of all the things GW did that I’d like to shake his hand for, I’d really like to smack him for signing this piece of nanny-state garbage. Whoever wrote the lightbulb bill should be publicly flogged.

CantCureStupid on June 21, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Me too.

Every time I read comments on this subject, on other websites and news sites, there are always these very sincere sorts of environmentalists who talk on and on about how this will save so much electricity, and how most of the light is lost to heat (with no mention of that being an advantage in the winter), and various other very earnest entreaties that we should all see the light. So to speak.

But never, NEVER do they talk about the fact that the quality of the light is different, and some of us just plain can’t see well enough by the curly-Q lights.

I figure they must all be very young.

Alana on June 21, 2011 at 8:10 PM

(Me too – I have a stockpile, I mean.)

Alana on June 21, 2011 at 8:11 PM

we’re very close to seeing an agreement merge and happen

If it takes away freedom, we are for it. Basically, no questions asked.

If it restores just one iota of freedom, we will deliberate on it for a good long time. You’ll just have to wait and see.

AshleyTKing on June 21, 2011 at 8:11 PM

I want my 100-watts!

alwaysfiredup on June 21, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Sung to the tune of ‘I want my MTV’.

slickwillie2001 on June 21, 2011 at 8:14 PM

No one else is asking, so … How many congressmen does it take to change a lightbulb?

Actually, the ban was planned in the Bush admin. IIRC. Me, half of lightbulbs in my house are incandescent, if not florescent. I have a few CFLs, but retain decorative, utility, 3 way, and other odd bulbs that don’t come in CFLs.

Paul-Cincy on June 21, 2011 at 8:16 PM

It’s a pathetic state of affairs when we have to ask a Republican congressman ““Will we be able to keep our light bulbs?”

Upton should be run out of Congress on a rail in the 2012 primary.

aquaviva on June 21, 2011 at 8:17 PM

I had to stockpile a bunch of them. I use them when I’m cutting gems. The fluorescent lights just don’t work as well. If you really want to see small details and pick out imperfections in the polish on a stone there’s nothing like a 100 watt incandescent bulb.

trigon on June 21, 2011 at 8:19 PM

I have a stockpile of them…

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Heh. My wife and I have built one up as well.

Weight of Glory on June 21, 2011 at 8:20 PM

“That’s got to change. We’ve got to do something to change that,” he said.
Agreed.

Hear!..Hear!..:)

Dire Straits on June 21, 2011 at 8:03 PM

I’d suggest you not hold your breath, DS.

Rod on June 21, 2011 at 8:20 PM

It’s a pathetic state of affairs when we have to ask a Republican congressman anybody ““Will we be able to keep our light bulbs?”

aquaviva on June 21, 2011 at 8:17 PM

But especially a Republican. The congenital-philosophical weakness of the American right: sure we’re for statism too, just not the kind that will collapse civilization in 3 years.

AshleyTKing on June 21, 2011 at 8:21 PM

You mean I invested in a warehouse full of 100 watt incandescent bulbs to resell on the black market beginning next year for nothing! Damn!
Well, at least the 100 watters will still be illegal in California because “the state that can’t govern itself” has deemed it so.

Hoof Hearted on June 21, 2011 at 8:21 PM

trigon on June 21, 2011 at 8:19 PM

You use it for gem work?

lexhamfox on June 21, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Stupid humans. Just point your finger like this and call forth the light.

Limerick on June 21, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Hoof Hearted on June 21, 2011 at 8:21 PM

You’ll still sell them in California.

Steve Eggleston on June 21, 2011 at 8:23 PM

My incandescent 100 Watts! Out of my cold dead hands!

AshleyTKing on June 21, 2011 at 8:24 PM

Why not continue to sell them, but in packages with grotesque pictures of, oh I don’t know, rotting whales or something?

Bugler on June 21, 2011 at 8:26 PM

From Obama`s Commerce Nominee John Bryson`s Environmental
Wacko`s website!!
===================

Obama Shines Light on Job-Creating Efficiency Standards
June 13 2011
*************

According to our analysis, the light bulb efficiency standards when fully implemented will:
**************************************

Save each American household $100 to $200 per year in the form of lower electric bills.
Reduce U.S. energy bills overall by more than $10 billion per year.
Achieve energy savings equivalent to the electricity production of 30 large power plants.
Avoid approximately 100 million tons of carbon dioxide pollution per year, which is equivalent to the emissions of 17 million cars.
(More………)

canopfor on June 21, 2011 at 8:27 PM

“That’s got to change. We’ve got to do something to change that,” he said.
==================
Agreed.
Hear!..Hear!..:)

Dire Straits on June 21, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Dire Straits:Lol,ahem……:)
===================================

Obama: We are 5 days from FUNDAMENTALly transforming America
October 1 2008
**************

canopfor on June 21, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Whoever wrote the lightbulb bill should be publicly flogged.

CantCureStupid on June 21, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Fred Upton (R-Mich) and Jane Harmon (D-Calif) were co-authors of the 2007 legislation.

You’re right, he should be flogged.

aquaviva on June 21, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Hoof Hearted on June 21, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Don’t worry my stockpile of standard bulbs will only get me thru 2018. I need to focus on the decorative blubs stockpile which is not as well supplied. One day I will become your “light blub junkie” begging you for a fix from your warehouse, and by the sounds of it so will everyone else on this thread.

F15Mech on June 21, 2011 at 8:34 PM

LightBulb Nazi`s!

Vell,itz goona be herr badinzee day for you,ifnezz
your lightenzee bulbenzee,has been inzee,off zee herr
blacken zee marketinzee,

you do understand herr seriousinzee of zee lightinzee
herr bulbinzee test,

if inzee your herr governmental bulbinzee is not governmentalinzee approved…..

lets herr sayinzee that,vell,your lights vill go out…

(snark)

canopfor on June 21, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Heh. My wife and I have built one up as well.

Weight of Glory on June 21, 2011 at 8:20 PM

I also keep a minimum of 5 lbs. of Bacon in my freezer…

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Bugler on June 21, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Better yet exploding whales

(do I need a content warning on this link?)

F15Mech on June 21, 2011 at 8:37 PM

I also keep a minimum of 5 lbs. of Bacon in my freezer…

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2011 at 8:36 PM

I’m sure FLOTUS would pop veins right and left if she looked in my freezer…

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Better yet exploding whales

(do I need a content warning on this link?)

F15Mech on June 21, 2011 at 8:37 PM

LOL! Incoming whale blubber!

predator on June 21, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Just one question:

If the TSA checks your “JUNK” at a public trolley or subway location and they find a Incandescant bulb in your pocket would they shoot you on sight?

PappyD61 on June 21, 2011 at 8:46 PM

While I like the statement about 30% of the oil coming from the Gulf of Mexico, the truth is that part of that 30% is the only supertanker port in the Lower 48, known as LOOP (Louisiana Offshore Oil Port).

Kermit on June 21, 2011 at 8:47 PM

I’ve got several cases each of 100 & 60 watt incandescent bulbs of the contractor variety, rated for 130 volts. They last longer.

Kermit on June 21, 2011 at 8:49 PM

From my cold dead fingers!!!!!!!

abobo on June 21, 2011 at 8:50 PM

There is a delicious Alinskyite flavor to all of this this. (Living up to their own rules etc)

Make the Donks own this mess; tie it to the Green Agenda and sit back and watch while hilarity ensues.

Nice to see some GOP cojones.

(Still keeping mys stash of 100 watters, though…)

Bruno Strozek on June 21, 2011 at 8:54 PM

I want my 100-watts!

alwaysfiredup on June 21, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Sung to the tune of ‘I want my MTV’.

slickwillie2001 on June 21, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Since you asked, try this:

Now look at them light bulbs – that’s the way you do it
You fill the room up with good light (and heat!)
This ain’t working – CFL’s won’t do it
Bulbs not worth nothing , even if they’re free
This ain’t working – CFL’s won’t do it
Lemme tell ya them bulbs are dim
Maybe they’d work better in some lefty commune
Maybe they can have ‘em – I’m all done
We gotta install real incandescents,
We gotta get rid of CFLS!

massrighty on June 21, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Yes, but they don’t burn as bright as the 117 volt bulbs.

Hoof Hearted on June 21, 2011 at 8:57 PM

I had to stockpile a bunch of them. I use them when I’m cutting gems.

trigon on June 21, 2011 at 8:19 PM

You miss the big picture. While your trade and craft may suffer using CFLs, the product you create is not as good as it was, and doesn’t meet the ideal of your creative vision … you will save several pennies every week, which means we can mine less coal. Which is … really important. And THAT’S the “big picture”.

Paul-Cincy on June 21, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Paul-Cincy on June 21, 2011 at 8:58 PM

P.S. So some liberal can feel good about himself. Can’t forget that part.

Paul-Cincy on June 21, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Bugler on June 21, 2011 at 8:26 PM

LOL!!

+100

BacaDog on June 21, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Gee thanks, putrid excuses for human beings, thanks for maybe possibly considering allowing free Americans the right to have a product which has never harmed a soul and is 10 times safer than what is replacing it. FU.

Bishop on June 21, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Paul-Cincy on June 21, 2011 at 8:58 PM

In a nutshell, that’s pretty much it.

trigon on June 21, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Environmentalists’ energy plan is a repudiation of American Christian destiny which is jet skis, steak on the electric grill, hot showers and night-skiing.
– Ann Coulter

massrighty on June 21, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Just one question:

PappyD61 on June 21, 2011 at 8:46 PM

On the other hand, if T&A finds a curly CFL in your pocket, they might suspect you are going to use it as a weapon. “Take this plane to Cuba or I drop the hazardous waste!”

slickwillie2001 on June 21, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Just admit that the whole thing was wrongheaded, and undo it completely.

It would be comparatively easy to do (if the people who voted for it would admit their mistake and POTUS would crank up the autopen), and would actually make good common sense.

hillbillyjim on June 21, 2011 at 9:22 PM

What’s the difference in mandating a light bulb and mandating insurance?

Government shouldn’t mandate we buy anything.

tinkerthinker on June 21, 2011 at 9:29 PM

How friggin’ difficult is it to write a piece of legislation that repeals that portion of the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007? Heck, Senator Enzi introduced the The Better Use of Light Bulbs Act back in February. Go with that. This is not difficult. Upton’s making it out like he’s setting up the game plan for the Super Bowl.

William Teach on June 21, 2011 at 9:41 PM

I’ll be happy to see the light bulb ban lifted, of course. But man, there goes my retirement. I was planning on making a killing in bulbs on the black market. Oh well.

JellyToast on June 21, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Incandescent bulbs are not toxic to the environment.

The CFL bulbs are.

Yet, the environmentalists and government insist that we all adapt the new CFL’s. This is sound environmental policy?

Into what Bizarro world have we descended?

coldwarrior on June 21, 2011 at 9:43 PM

I have a small stash – need to add to it before incandescents are not longer available.

sadatoni on June 21, 2011 at 9:59 PM

I’ve been stockpiling for awhile. Was on line at a Walmart about a year ago with two carts full of bulbs. There was a little girl on line behind me with her mom. She looked at the cart, looked at me, looked at her mom, looked at the cart, looked at me… finally I just said to her “I’m afraid of the dark.”

teacherman on June 21, 2011 at 10:17 PM

“That’s got to change. We’ve got to do something to change that,” he said.

Not to worry. We will. It’s called NOVEMBER 2012.

GarandFan on June 21, 2011 at 10:41 PM

I have a stockpile of them…

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Me too, my kids think I’m crazy…

lovingmyUSA on June 21, 2011 at 10:48 PM

What’s the difference in mandating a light bulb and mandating insurance?

Government shouldn’t mandate we buy anything.

tinkerthinker on June 21, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Or mandating 1.6 gal toilets, or CAFE standards for automobiles, or…

Dasher on June 21, 2011 at 11:31 PM

I would also like the GD sulfur back in my MF dishwasher detergent.

greggriffith on June 21, 2011 at 11:55 PM

There goes Knucklehead’s delusions of making alt into a light bulb gazillionare…

Gohawgs on June 22, 2011 at 3:42 AM

Hands off my incandescent bulbs! I hate the new CFL bulbs. The light they give is ugly and depressing.

Urban Infidel on June 22, 2011 at 6:30 AM

we’re very close to seeing an agreement merge and happen, so stay tuned. … A couple different things that we’re looking at.

Damn, and I was hoping to see lots of light bulbs at anti-Øbama rallies next year. Imagine the possibilities: “See the light?” “Got an idea?” etc.

Years ago, I heard some environmentalist wacko saying that if everyone had just one in their house, it would save blah, blah, blah. OK, how about you write the regulation to make everyone have at least one? We could all put one in and we could then see if the savings are real. If so, then we go a little further. If not, we scrap the whole idea.

Kafir on June 22, 2011 at 7:14 AM

The hilarious thing is that these idiot environmentalists and government hacks went in behind CFL’s. Liberals are truly the party of unintended consequences. Yeah – let’s mandate that we all start buying more things with mercury inside of them! Great idea!

If any one of them had any sense, they would have thrown in behind LED’s, which actually do have a future. As soon as they get the volume up and the production costs down, we’ll all be switching to LED based bulbs – by choice! They save more energy than CFL’s do, have no hazardous materials in them, and can come in any light color/quality you want.

Government = liberals = no common sense

Free Indeed on June 22, 2011 at 8:47 AM

I would also like the GD sulfur phosphorus back in my MF dishwasher detergent.

greggriffith on June 21, 2011 at 11:55 PM

FIFY.

NaCly dog on June 22, 2011 at 8:51 AM

I see a black market appearing.

Kissmygrits on June 22, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Kafir on June 22, 2011 at 7:14 AM

The only tangible saving (more than a few cents a month) comes from more efficient appliances. We have the technology today to “save the planet”, but the Left and environmentalists have deliberately blocked progress for 45 years. Nuclear power and allowing incremental improvements to coal generation would do more for the environment than a planet using only CFLs.

Ask any Leftist how much money they (or Greenpeace) have put into catalysis improvements. Do it for me. I hate the Left for ruining a perfectly good planet.

NaCly dog on June 22, 2011 at 8:58 AM

But I just bought my mercury vapor cleanup suit!

Akzed on June 22, 2011 at 9:22 AM

I had to stockpile a bunch of them. I use them when I’m cutting gems.

trigon on June 21, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Paul-Cincy on June 21, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Also, remember that those who view the slightly imperfect gems will be viewing them with CFL bulbs and won’t even notice! As for me, I’ll keep stockpiling them incandescents!

Qzsusy on June 22, 2011 at 10:08 AM

I would also like the GD sulfur back in my MF dishwasher detergent.

greggriffith on June 21, 2011 at 11:55 PM

What you want is phosphate. Go to the hardware store and buy some TSP, add 1/3 teaspoon along with the detergent to each load.

Vashta.Nerada on June 22, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Decision was result of a queer looking bulb bursting instead of burning out and after the office opened two days later. After the HAZMAT Team, declared the offices safe to enter, as long as occupants wore appropriate masks to filter out any stray particulate matter.

MSGTAS on June 22, 2011 at 10:13 AM