Obama’s Puerto Rico Visit Generates Blowback

posted at 3:20 pm on June 20, 2011 by Howard Portnoy

Last Tuesday, Barack Obama became the first sitting president since John F. Kennedy to visit Puerto Rico. He was there on a PR (public relations) mission, but it appears he should have focused more on the plight of PR (Puerto Ricans).

The president’s whirlwind visit lasted all of four hours, during which he spoke in broad and sweeping platitudes, claiming that “the aspirations and struggles of this island mirror those of the United States” and promising “we are going to put people back to work here in Puerto Rico and all across America.”

Obama further attempted to ingratiate himself with the crowd by exhausting his meager inventory of phrasebook Spanish. In so doing he used the same exaggerated Spanish accent he invoked when he famously uttered the nonsense phrase cinco de cuatro in 2009, providing even the usually sympathetic comedian Jon Stewart with ammunition.

But the president’s phony posturing and phonier accent were the least of his problems. The biggest was that his visit was blatantly self-serving—to raise campaign funds—while ignoring altogether the island’s record crime rate and giving no more than lip service to the staggering unemployment faced by residents of the U.S. territory. Last year the island of 4 million people recorded 955 murders, its second worst year ever for homicides. Its unemployment rate, which is at 16%, is higher than any U.S. state.

Leaders of Puerto Rico’s pro-statehood New Progressive Party noticed the stark absence of any concrete offers of help or solutions with these pressing issues—and they were resentful. Local Sen. Melinda Romero, a delegate of the island’s chapter of the Democratic Party, has demanded an apology from Obama and asked that he return the money raised during the brief stopover. She is quoted by The Washington Examiner as having said:

The President did not bring anything to the table. His visit only served to take away dollars, just like they take away our young people to war.

Adding to the resentment of the ruling New Progressives, led by Republican Gov. Luis Fortuno, is the unscheduled lunch that Obama had with opposition gubernatorial candidate Alejandro Garcia, a photo op from which now appears on the White House website.

Not everyone was angered by Obama’s visit. Hector Ferrer, vice president of the Popular Democratic Party, defended the president, saying,

How do they expect that the President in a one-day visit provide them with solutions and solve the disaster that they have created in two years?

A local political analyst, moreover, predicted that the bitterness over the president’s visit would not likely result in his losing any votes of the 4.6 million Puerto Ricans who live on the U.S. mainland votes.

But that’s speculation. What is fact is that Barack Obama at this late date in his first term still harbors the naïve belief that he can get by on his looks and charisma. That as much as any factor could lead to his undoing and increase his chances of becoming a one-term president.

Related Articles

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

And also, Obama was presented an autographed basketball by Gov. Fortuno. Obama held it for about a minute, autographed it himself and gave it to one of Fortuno’s kids saying something to the effect of, “I’m sure you’ll appreciate this more than I would.”

Fortuno was pretty stunned.
An earlier Green Room post had that story a few days ago, but it’s disappeared.

DrAllecon on June 20, 2011 at 3:23 PM

When they told Obama that he was going to PR, he thought it was a firm in Manhattan that would help him get elected…

right2bright on June 20, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Generates Blowback

What? Was Larry Sinclair there?

LegendHasIt on June 20, 2011 at 3:24 PM

The pro-statehood party? Oh, please no! Please just let them leave.

MeatHeadinCA on June 20, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Is Puerto Rico about to become the 51st state?

Wouldn’t that be the 58th state?

LegendHasIt on June 20, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Fortuno was pretty stunned.
An earlier Green Room post had that story a few days ago, but it’s disappeared.

DrAllecon on June 20, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Wow. What a d!ck we have for POTUS.

Badger40 on June 20, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Is there ANYONE that he won’t pander to? He’s like a doorknob, everyone gets their turn.

search4truth on June 20, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Did he say “I am a jelly doughnut”?

slickwillie2001 on June 20, 2011 at 3:43 PM

It sounds to me like ObaMao want to visit the place were his policies have had the most effect.

Slowburn on June 20, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Truman assassination attempt

aengus on June 20, 2011 at 3:45 PM

That a majority of Americans fell for it is telling and that a large number still (though thankfully not ass many I dare hope) idolize the man.

Yakko77 on June 20, 2011 at 3:46 PM

The pro-statehood party? Oh, please no! Please just let them leave.

MeatHeadinCA on June 20, 2011 at 3:25 PM

I don’t think they’ll ever chose statehood, because then they will be subjected to Federal Income tax. I wonder if they are subjected to Obamacare?

Oil Can on June 20, 2011 at 3:47 PM

ROSALIA Cadillacs zoom in America

TERESITA Industry boom in America

BOYS Twelve in a room in America

ANITA Lots of new housing with more space

BERNARDO Lots of doors slamming in our face

ANITA I’ll get a terrace apartment

BERNARDO Better get rid of your accent..

..still love that number.

The War Planner on June 20, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Wow. What a d!ck we have for POTUS.

Badger40 on June 20, 2011 at 3:34 PM

I know. It’s a shame that Puerto Rico hasn’t had an American president visit for 50 years. It’s a bigger shame that the one who did visit was this jerk.

A horribly petty, awful little man.

DrAllecon on June 20, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Oh? Is there a draft in PR?

disa on June 20, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Oil Can on June 20, 2011 at 3:47 PM

The left tried to trick them into it not that long ago, in a desperate attempt to increase the number of (Democrat) representatives.

disa on June 20, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Fortuno was pretty stunned.

LOL. That’s the greatest, most arrogant version of re-gifting. I’m going to do that the next time I get a gift I hate.

“Oh, thanks for the tent. Let me autograph it and give it to your kids. I’m sure my signature makes it completely less assy…”

mjk on June 20, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Wrong. Johnson and Ford both went there

ConservativePartyNow on June 20, 2011 at 3:56 PM

let him go on thinking that please

cmsinaz on June 20, 2011 at 3:57 PM

the aspirations and struggles of this island mirror those of the United States”

Even thought Puerto Rico is not one of the 57 states in the union. It is one of the three commonwealths. It’s not a piggy bank for you to crack open, they vote. And guess what: It’s a very conservative place.

Tommy_G on June 20, 2011 at 4:01 PM

..still love that number.

The War Planner on June 20, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Classic!

Roy Rogers on June 20, 2011 at 4:02 PM

And guess what: It’s a very conservative place.

Tommy_G on June 20, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Not fiscally. They’ve #2 only to WV in workers comp and SSI, I hear.

disa on June 20, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Ich Bin Ein Puerto Rican!!!

Roy Rogers on June 20, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Soy un buñuelo de jalea!

Tommy_G on June 20, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Actually this guy is good.

Another spending and tax cutting Republican governor to look forward to in presidential elections.

pedestrian on June 20, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Oil Can on June 20, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Yeah, a like form of it. It is the reason taxes are so high and the island is so poor. But what the hey…they get healthcare, right? Who cares if ya have a job..

tinkerthinker on June 20, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Wow. It only took 2 years to create that disaster in PR?!?! Hmmm remind me again, what’s happened in the last 2 years??!!

Sorta, kinda, makes ya reflect on how fragile civilized society actually is doesn’t it? I mean, if you even bother to take the time to think such things, that is.

KMC1 on June 20, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Tommy_G on June 20, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Yeah, they’re all conservative Republicans down there.

Really Right on June 20, 2011 at 4:11 PM

I thought he went to support the pro-statehood movement. More of his demographic to push the Dems into a permanent majority!

PattyJ on June 20, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Oh? Is there a draft in PR?

disa on June 20, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Exactly. What BS.

WitchDoctor on June 20, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Soy un buñuelo de jalea!

Tommy_G on June 20, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Yo soy un donut de mermelada y el culo de mi esposa se ​​parece a 100 libras de masticar goma de mascar!

Sí lo hace!!!

Roy Rogers on June 20, 2011 at 4:13 PM

It’s a voluntary army, dummy.

Blake on June 20, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Wasn’t Bush mocked time and time again for his use of Spanish?

Oil Can on June 20, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Everything the man touches turns to crap. It’s a shame, actually, that the person who will stand tall in U.S. history as the first president who was other than a white male will be able to lay claim to no other achievement than his ascension to that office. A Rutherford B. Hayes when we needed a Ronald Reagan.

Greek Fire on June 20, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Wasn’t Bush mocked time and time again for his use of Spanish?

Oil Can on June 20, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Bush never called himself a jelly donut.

Roy Rogers on June 20, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Wrong. Johnson and Ford both went there

ConservativePartyNow on June 20, 2011 at 3:56 PM

You are correct sir, the missing word is ‘official’:

“Two other presidents, Lyndon B. Johnson and Gerald Ford, set foot in Puerto Rico after Kennedy’s visit, but not as part of an official visit to interact with the island’s elected officials. Johnson visited a military base in 1968 and Ford participated in an international economic summit on the island in 1976.”

slickwillie2001 on June 20, 2011 at 4:26 PM

giving no more than lip service

Maybe instead of mentioning how ‘cool’ Barry is, Axelrod should tell everyone that “Barry gives good lip!”

As for the Puerto Ricans continuing to vote for Barry; well, you can’t fix STUPID!

GarandFan on June 20, 2011 at 4:28 PM

DrAllecon on June 20, 2011 at 3:23 PM

The local morning FM zoo thought very highly of Obama’s visit.

I pulled that earlier post, because upon further review, I couldn’t say for sure whether the context of Gov. Fortuño being stunned was positive or negative. For all I know, the kids could’ve been thrilled to have a ball with both Barea’s and POTUS’ signatures. But I’m not certain, and I didn’t want to add my inflection into the Governor’s words. That is best left to the MSM.

Jorge Bonilla on June 20, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Ich Bin Ein Pastelle

esnap on June 20, 2011 at 4:33 PM

FREE PUERTO RICO!!
Why do we continue to deny these hard working, freedom loving people their release from US oppression?
They MUST be ready for freedom – and ready to stand on their own feet by now…

HammerNH on June 20, 2011 at 4:37 PM

I can’t wait until the “O” is out of office and all the books that will be published about the crimes committed with the backing of retired CIA and FBI authors that don’t have the nads to do it now. The papers that will be published will make the Clintons look like angels.

mixplix on June 20, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Did PBHO pronounce it “Puerho Riho” or did he roll out the R’s forever: “PuerrrrrrrrrrtO RrrrrrrrrIcoooooo”?

Bishop on June 20, 2011 at 4:54 PM

mixplix on June 20, 2011 at 4:49 PM

I can see little Bammie fleeing to some African or South American country, where he can become a maximum leader of a banana peoples’ republic with a spiffy military uniform and a chest full of Crackerjack medals.

slickwillie2001 on June 20, 2011 at 4:54 PM

“Not only do I have Irish ancestors, but my great great uncle on my mother’s side was Puerto Rican….true story.”

-PBHO

Bishop on June 20, 2011 at 4:55 PM

HammerNH on June 20, 2011 at 4:37 PM

I agree. There are more Puerto Ricans living in mainland U.S. than there are on the island of Puerto Rico. It’s a ludicrously lopsided relationship. We need to cut them loose.

AZCoyote on June 20, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Jorge Bonilla on June 20, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Oooh. Thanks for the update. I wondered what happened to your post (I enjoyed it) but I can understand not wanting to leave it out there if there was some ambiguity.

Although, even if they were thrilled, he’s still kind of a douche for regifting like that, lol.

DrAllecon on June 20, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Fortuno was pretty stunned.

An earlier Green Room post had that story a few days ago, but it’s disappeared.

DrAllecon on June 20, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Wow, so the rumor is true…my sis told me that Fortuno was very excited and with the anticipation of Obama’s visit, he called the Barea family (quite a simple, well-grounded family) to please send him an autographed basketball from JJ Barea so he can give it to Obama as a present.

Luis Fortuno has triplets; they’re grown up teenagers, and when I saw the pic of Fortuno’s son so serious, something was off to me but I couldn’t put my finger on it.

My sis said that the rumor now is that that basketball is worth more money…dunno about that ;P

ProudPalinFan on June 20, 2011 at 5:41 PM

I am gonna post fast and furious here, I noticed no trackback to my posts about O’s visit to PR; nor from Fausta.

The other two presidents who visited PR were not counted as “official”; this one did. That’s why there’s two more presidents that did visit the island.

Heh more than what I could ask for/island’s forgotten unless there’s $$ to pickup.

ProudPalinFan on June 20, 2011 at 5:44 PM

The pro-statehood party? Oh, please no! Please just let them leave.

MeatHeadinCA on June 20, 2011 at 3:25 PM

One word: NO.

ProudPalinFan on June 20, 2011 at 5:45 PM

That’s one of the stupidest and most ignorant remarks that an ex-governor’s daughter could ever state. There’s no draft in Puerto Rico.

Just like our folks in the US, THEY JOIN IN AND ENLIST BECAUSE THEY LOVE OUR FREEDOMS AND COUNTRY.

ProudPalinFan on June 20, 2011 at 5:48 PM

I guess that little Bammie’s usual gift, an iPod loaded up with all of his recitals, was left behind this trip so little Bammie had to improvise.

slickwillie2001 on June 20, 2011 at 5:49 PM

FREE PUERTO RICO!!
They MUST be ready for freedom – and ready to stand on their own feet by now…

HammerNH on June 20, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Duuuude…you have no idea what can of worms would open if that was ever gonna happen. I don’t want any of my family’s US Citizenship stripped. Imagine 4 million.

What happens there trickles from the US-from here. I was born and raised here; moved 10 years ago. I KNOW what I am telling you that is not good.

When I write in my blog that the people of PR are like the Hatfields Vs. The McCoys is an understatement. Second sport Puerto Ricans love to play: Politics. And this is an issue that the US can solve and can’t be crass and ignorant about it.

The plus if the island ever becomes a state: Almost 90% voter participation. I bet that then they’d see candidates campaign in the island; so far they only go as pre-candidates on primaries.

BTW Puerto Rico is Hillaryville. Perhaps that’s another one of Obama’s thorns. He lost there 3 to 1. Not to say that the whole island is Democrat–>pretty conservative imho but I could be wrong.

The reason: No GOP presence. None. Zilch. Zero. Nada. I am aware that statehood is not possible now, not with Obama nor until the US’ economy improves. That’s why y’all don’t care.

ProudPalinFan on June 20, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Sí lo hace!!!

Roy Rogers on June 20, 2011 at 4:13 PM

LMFAO!!!!! Si yo fuera tu esposa te daria hasta dentro del pelo por ese tronco de insulto que escribiste!

ProudPalinFan on June 20, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Aiiight…I’ve written this before, and LF mentioned it on the 30-min. interview I posted.

Move to Puerto Rico, you won’t be able to kick Obama out of office.

Stay here, and you do.

That’s why it’s called 2nd Class Citizenship.

Hope that I made myself clear.

ProudPalinFan on June 20, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Answer me this:

What is the difference between Obama spending a few hours chatting up the residents, and leaving with wads of cash, and say

. . . a pimp making a visit to his whorehouse?

BigAlSouth on June 20, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Wasn’t Bush mocked time and time again for his use of Spanish?

Oil Can on June 20, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Actually, I was told he did just fine (by non-Bush fans). IDK.

MeatHeadinCA on June 20, 2011 at 6:20 PM

One word: NO.

ProudPalinFan on June 20, 2011 at 5:45 PM

I asked nicely. Oh, please, please, please just let PR become independent!

MeatHeadinCA on June 20, 2011 at 6:22 PM

“just like they take away our young people to war” Who is taking away young PRs? I bet if you plug in the figures the percentage of PRs in the army mirrors their composition of US population. And the armed services are VOLUNTARY! Not only that but like most uber liberal areas, I bet its illegal under PR law for the armed forces to even recruit young men and women in the schools as other employers are allowed to do.
As with most “ideas” of “progressives” this one is half baked and hasn’t been true in more than forty years, if it were ever true.

eaglewingz08 on June 20, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Its unemployment rate, which is at 16%, is higher than any U.S. state.

Roosevelt Roads NAS used to employ thousands and also pumped many $millions into the Puerto Rican economy before the Puerto Rican government forced the shut down of the US Navy’s Vieques bombing area. Without the Vieques bombing area there was no reason for Roosevelt Roads NAS to exist.

Sixteen percent unemployment? No worries, just another unintended consequence of liberal policies.

RJL on June 20, 2011 at 7:24 PM

What, you weren’t content to bask in the glow of hopenchange?

mizflame98 on June 20, 2011 at 7:43 PM

The pouty pic. Same face he had toasting the queen. Sorry you feel like your real issues are not important to the P.

AshleyTKing on June 20, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Here’s a (google-translated wherever possible) related kink dump:

Here’s Fortuño saying he was stunned (0.55),

Fortuño’s opponent was in a follow car during Obama’s 11-minute visit to the Governor’s Mansion,

The guy who set the lunch between Obama and Fortuño’s opponent crowing about how Obama came to teach Fortuño a lesson in hardball.

The unclear gift response. Gracious, classy gesture or cruel, petty rejection? You decide.

And finally, the top-rated morning zoo laid the lumber to Obama’s visit. Listen through the whole thing.

Jorge Bonilla on June 20, 2011 at 8:01 PM

I did a link-dump post, and then I remembered that it got hung up in the spam fiters…so here goes, one by one, google-translated wherever possible. First:

Again, Obama with gifts. Awesomely cool gesture, or cruel rejection? You decide.

Jorge Bonilla on June 20, 2011 at 8:06 PM

Second related link:

The man who set up Obama’s lunch with Fortuño’s opponent, crowing about how Obama came to deliver a lesson in hardball.

Jorge Bonilla on June 20, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Related link #3:

Fortuño was stunned (0.55)

Jorge Bonilla on June 20, 2011 at 8:10 PM

Related link #4:

Worth repeating: Top-rated morning zoo hammers Obama visit the very next morning. The set-up is in Spanish, but listen through the whole thing. No interpretation is necessary.

Jorge Bonilla on June 20, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Why do we even continue to keep this godforsaken island/country as a protected U.S. Territory? I say let us begin negotiating our break up as soon as possible.

devolvingtowardsidiocracy on June 20, 2011 at 8:54 PM

They hyped this visit for weeks and he only stayed for four hours?

What a bastard.

mythicknight on June 20, 2011 at 10:05 PM

It worked the first time. Never underestimate looks and charisma.

unclesmrgol on June 21, 2011 at 12:13 AM

He lived in Chicago. If has a huge PR influence.

seven on June 21, 2011 at 1:24 PM

devolvingtowardsidiocracy on June 20, 2011 at 8:54 PM

One, Americans saw it as strategic location; second, Americans fought to conquer the island. The US should’ve done this eons ago, but for whatever reason it never happened. Oh well-read on it. The Pledge of Allegiance was said first thing in the morning before school; and I am writing about the 40s.

How many times do I have to write that breaking off is a bad idea? How many angles? Yeah go ahead take away the PRANG for all you care.

Even if a transition is done in more than a decade or two (being realistic here) strip US’ Citizenship, cancel all passports, any Social Security and other issues we’re dealing with here-it would be incredibly chaotic. Far more than anyone could ever imagine.

Hurts me the most-when fellows from HA post this independence crap without realizing at the same time that you do hurt feelings-ever since I remember I waved the American flag. It sucks sometimes to be alienated amongst “your own” people.

So NO. I do support a constitutional amendment so that the seats are ADDED and not TAKEN from other states, as I find that to be an incredible injustice from these states that are currently fighting for their constituents.

Sucks to have some voice and no vote; not only on any legislation, but on taking Obama out of office. I am still waiting on an answer on who’s willing to move to an island where people are born and raised there, and cannot vote Obama out of office.

The Dems better come up with a candidate for the D primaries so then our votes can count him out; since that’s politically convenient for Republicans.

-PPF

ProudPalinFan on June 23, 2011 at 2:08 AM

He lived in Chicago. If has a huge PR influence.

seven on June 21, 2011 at 1:24 PM

And Ohio too.

ProudPalinFan on June 23, 2011 at 2:09 AM

Gracias, Jorge! Yo lei casi todo los enlaces cuando mi hermana me llamo furiosa; hablo malo como loco. Yo se lo adverti, pero esto no para. La visita va a dar de que hablar y el gesto de Obama de darle la bola pa’tras al trillizo y con lo que hizo…que clase de c________n.

No se si yo vuele ahora en el 2011. Comoquiera esta lloviendo un monton alla, y el mes que viene me voy a encontrar con dos de mis hermanos aqui.

No se que piensa la familia de JJ Barea. Ojala pudiera. Pawn Stars?

ProudPalinFan on June 23, 2011 at 2:15 AM