Who was the night’s biggest winner?

posted at 10:05 am on June 14, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

After writing a curmudgeonly rant (or two) about one of the worst debate productions ever seen, I suppose I owe a word or two about how the candidates did.  Frankly, none of them turned in an inspiring or inspired performance, although all of them did at least a competent job.  I spent two hours looking for a breakout candidate or a charismatic performance that would stand out and frame the rest of the primary race.  Instead, perhaps as a result of the silliness and grunting foisted on us by CNN and its moderator John King, none of them stood out much from the others, and none of them did much damage to themselves or each other.

I’ll offer my thoughts on each candidate in no particular order:

• Mitt Romney – He came into the debate as a weak frontrunner, and he went out the same way.  He did well, and just as he did in 2007-8, came across as an affable, competent executive and speaker.  He had the most to lose in the debate and managed to protect his position, in part because of the efforts of the other Republicans to attack Barack Obama rather than each other.  He stumbled only once, in saying that the Afghans needed to liberate themselves from the Taliban, who are, er, also Afghans.  Otherwise, he did well and reminded everyone why he was John McCain’s strongest challenger in the last cycle.  He was, as always, cool and collected.
  • Tim Pawlenty – Pawlenty will get crucified for his refusal to back up his “ObamneyCare” attack from a few days ago when faced with Romney on the stage, and in part deservedly so — but only because the candidates agreed to the sound-bite format in the first place.  On policy and substance, Pawlenty did fine, but he needed to outperform Romney to start building traction early.  At best this was an opportunity missed, and a reminder that it’s going to be tough to beat Romney in the debates.
  • Michele Bachmann – Bachmann’s good performance seems to have caught everyone by surprise except me.  The media paints Bachmann as a wild-eyed nut, but I’ve known her for years, and she’s very sharp and quick-witted.  She didn’t make any mistakes, and perhaps more than anyone last night allowed her personality to shine, impressing even Dana Milbank.  She can play with the big boys, as she will prove again and again, but other than the surprise factor, Bachmann turned in a solid but not breakout performance.  She’ll get a decent bump in polling after last night.
  • Newt Gingrich – Gingrich had nothing to lose last night and let it rip.  As always, he provided excellent analysis and spin, but Gingrich has a problem in debate formats, which is that he doesn’t like to be challenged — and it shows.  He looked angry and argumentative, and at times almost resentful.  He didn’t demonstrate the kind of poise that usually impresses in this format, and while some of that might be welcome in a hostile environment, Gingrich didn’t apply his annoyance where it would have counted … at the inane “This or That” questions.  It was impossible for Gingrich to hurt himself, but he didn’t exactly help himself either, especially when he appeared to endorse McCarthyism.
  • Herman Cain – Other than his attempt to defuse the issue of Muslims working in his government, Cain did a pretty good job, but nowhere near the blockbuster performance the last time.  That’s OK; it’s still early in the season for all of these candidates, and like college football, it’s the late losses that count, not the early ones.  He needs to regroup a little and try to muscle the conversation more towards his strengths on the economy and jobs, which CNN avoided like the plague last night to his disadvantage.
  • Rick Santorum – It’s been a while since I’ve seen Santorum in this context, and he looked and sounded good.  He also needs to muscle up a bit, but again, it’s early.  At times, Santorum seemed a little lost on stage, getting outshined by the other candidates.  It wasn’t memorable, but it’s a decent start.
  • Ron Paul – Well, if you like Ron Paul, you liked him last night, and if you don’t, you saw what you normally saw.  Other than Bachmann, he may have allowed more of his actual personality out than the other candidates, but again, that’s not necessarily a good thing for his electoral chances.  Paul offered a completely incoherent answer on emergency room treatment that ended up opposing attacks on the Catholic Church while offering the suggestion that Catholics fund indigent care.  On the other hand, he picked Blackberries over iPhones, so it’s a wash, I guess.

The biggest winner for me was None of the Above.  There is plenty of room for a charismatic, accomplished candidate to jump into this race and outshine the field as it stands at the moment.  For some that will be Sarah Palin, but I’d say that the 2-hour performance was a gilt-edged invitation to Rick Perry to join the field and command the stage.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

He looked angry and argumentative, and at times almost resentful. He didn’t demonstrate the kind of poise that usually impresses in this format, and while some of that might be welcome in a hostile environment…

Dude. It’s CNN. A hostile environment, for the most part. He did great. The only one that held their own against the control-freak, John King, and his attempted little gotcha tricks.

RepubChica on June 14, 2011 at 12:09 PM

This BS about the HPV vaccine is CRAP.
People need to check out my link & make their decision from there.
You have more risk getting killed in a car accident.
Look at your risk factors & decide from there.
But most everyone can benefit from this, just as most of us benefit from measles shots.
In fact, a man just died from measles here in ND.He had never been vaccinated for it.

Badger40 on June 14, 2011 at 12:09 PM

pseudoforce on June 14, 2011 at 11:50 AM

I’m not a ‘perfect candidate’ kind of gal. I’m a pragmatist.

Badger40 on June 14, 2011 at 11:58 AM

This isn’t about herpes. It’s about Perry choosing to feather his campaign coffers with big-pharm money. It wasn’t even about protecting girls, it was about the vaccine company making billions on a mandatory vaccine.

But setting that aside. Perry’s decision was completely against Republican principles and values and that ought to at least cause some to examine the why of his decision.

You are attempting to defend a decision that Perry himself could not defend. That is why he backed away from it before his primary.

As Dr. Evil said some time ago.. Eyes wide open people.. I don’t want to see ‘true conservatives’ wrap their arms around another Texas governor and then turn on him later like they did to GWB.

Texas Gal on June 14, 2011 at 12:12 PM

When people go in with a low opinion of you, and you give a demonstrably good performance, it makes you look that much more competent.

Vyce on June 14, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Wonder if that would also be true of Palin if she chose to run & exceeded expectations in debates?

/s

cs89 on June 14, 2011 at 12:13 PM

You look at the risk factors & decide from there. If a parent has a concern about it, then consult & get a Dr’s excuse to get out of it.
It is easy to do. I’ve seen it done.

Badger40 on June 14, 2011 at 12:05 PM

I will counter with the argument that is consistent with the constitution….

You look at the risk factors & decide from there. If a parent has a concern about it, then consult & get your family doctor to administer the vaccination.

It is easier to do. I’ve seen it done. And it is constitutionally sound.

csdeven on June 14, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Texas Gal on June 14, 2011 at 12:12 PM

I guess you have proof of Perry’s reasons being disingenuine.
But if so, please direct me to the proof of it.
I do not know much about Perry.
I think the vaccination angle is weak & stupid.
If he has other strikes against him, it is better to go from that angle if he’s discreditable.
I do not but the vaccine angle, short of you providing proof he’s in “Big Pharma’s” pockets.

Badger40 on June 14, 2011 at 12:20 PM

csdeven on June 14, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Nonsense. States have powers that the Feds do not. It isn’t a Constitutional issue. In this case, public safety concerns are sufficient to justify that the state require students in public schools receive vaccinations. I don’t know enough about this particular vaccine to form an opinion on it. But, more generally, I do say that states should absolutely be able to require vaccinations, such as for Polio, TB and some others.

MJBrutus on June 14, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Tim Pawlenty – Pawlenty will get crucified for his refusal to back up his “ObamneyCare” attack from a few days ago when faced with Romney on the stage, and in part deservedly so — but only because the candidates agreed to the sound-bite format in the first place. On policy and substance, Pawlenty did fine, but he needed to outperform Romney to start building traction early. At best this was an opportunity missed, and a reminder that it’s going to be tough to beat Romney in the debates.

No, he didn’t do fine. He was a huge disappointment. Fair Trade?

MeatHeadinCA on June 14, 2011 at 12:24 PM

MJBrutus on June 14, 2011 at 12:20 PM

I agree, but this disease requires more than casual contact to spread. If it weren’t so, we would have herpes epidemics like we had small pox, flu, polio, etc. The minor public health concern doesn’t justify the overreach.

csdeven on June 14, 2011 at 12:25 PM

A position conservatives can support.

Lots of conservatives have been in fights over public displays of the Ten Commandments, but Governor Perry is more interested in the Tenth Amendment: “The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.” Reestablishing the sovereignty of the states — and rescuing the language of states’ rights from its segregationist connotations — is a pretty good job for a high-profile governor.

Or for a president.

If Palin is not in, I hope Perry is.

Roy Rogers on June 14, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Great analysis Ed. I agree on Bachmann. She is painted as a nut by the MSM, but she is real and very effective.

carbon_footprint on June 14, 2011 at 12:26 PM

No, he didn’t do fine. He was a huge disappointment. Fair Trade?

MeatHeadinCA on June 14, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Saying “fair trade” was definitely one of his biggest blunders of the night. It reminded me of the “fair trade bananas” and “fair trade coffee” we would be forced to consume in our college dining halls.

steebo77 on June 14, 2011 at 12:26 PM

I will counter with the argument that is consistent with the constitution….

It is easier to do. I’ve seen it done. And it is constitutionally sound.

csdeven on June 14, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Let’s get real about vaccinations here.
Something like this is very important to maintain, herd immunity.
People cannot actually really be forced to vaccinate.
The Const does not allow the govt to do this to people.
But it is hysterical,IMO, to spout off about how anyone for the mandating of vaccines bcs of public health concerns should be instantly branded as a RINO or somehow not being conservative.
I’m well aware of the slippery slope issue.
But vaccinations is one place where I personally draw the line.
So many people forget the absolute horror & misery that occurred before vaccinations became the norm.
Human mortality was very high in the days before mandated vaccinations in this country.
This is one of those areas that if you do not say people, get vaccinated!, that bcs of ignorance & unwarranted fear, people will not do it.
When large amounts of people do not go on their own to get vaccinated, without a mandate, you have greater transmission.
Getting vaccinated by itself will not protect you from such things. You can still contract a disease you are vaccinated for.
But if a huge amount of the populace is vaccinated, then these pathogens can eventually ‘die’ out bcs they literally have no one to affect.
That is what has been done in this country with small pox & polio & tuberculosis.
But those diseases are making a come back.
Bcs illegal aliens are coming here who are not vaccinated.
This is an important issue.
The strict Libertarian viewpoint is not going to cut it with this one.
People need to be told to vaccinate.
And most will without questioning it.
And there is the known fact out there you can opt out.
But it should be harder to opt out.
Just like it should be harder to drive without a license.
Or drink & drive.
All choices.

Badger40 on June 14, 2011 at 12:27 PM

csdeven on June 14, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Isn’t there a Palin thread somewhere that you should be injecting yourself into?
; P

carbon_footprint on June 14, 2011 at 12:27 PM

MJBrutus on June 14, 2011 at 12:20 PM

The vaccine was for uterine cancer and it was proposed to be mandatory for girls as young as 9 years old. It went down like a lead balloon down here, and they backed off. That’s what Perry does, he doesn’t double down on dumb, like the Obama administration did to Arizona. It doesn’t really matter they can try and attack him with the vaccine- it’s like slinging cooked limp spaghetti at him it just doesn’t stick. Perry is one of those politicians that stuff doesn’t stick to him -Teflon.

Dr Evil on June 14, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Communism, we now know from history & declassified documents from the Cold War, was a REAL threat to the US.

My goodness, if there is anything the comunists are experts at, it is in not being known as communists. They are here and in the highest branches of media, the arts, education, law, and government – and, as we suspect -in the whitehouse.

Please don’t ever use the past tense when you refer to communists being a threat to the USA.

Don L on June 14, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Dr Evil on June 14, 2011 at 12:28 PM

This.

carbon_footprint on June 14, 2011 at 12:29 PM

csdeven on June 14, 2011 at 12:25 PM

I personally do not think it was necessary for PErry to mandate the HPV vaccine in young girls. Bcs young boys should also have to get it, since they can easily pass it on tp girls.
And kissing IS casual contact with young people.
You are extremely ignorant if you think this is so.
Also, I am not personally aware of the odds on getting it from drinking from a team mate’s water bottle, but you can bet there is a chance.
And that is most definitely casual contact in your boat.
The HPV vaccine itself I think is not necessary to mandat.
but I can see where Perry is coming from, even though I don’t personally think it was necessary, & I dopn’t believe it should be a show stopper for him.

Badger40 on June 14, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Yall Want proof Slick Rick is still a Democrat?

From 2000, when Perry became governor, through 2009, he earned a total of $2.68 million, according to his tax records. Of that amount, he gave about half a percent to churches and religious organizations, or $14,243.

Perry’s church giving falls below average
Since 2000, governor has donated half a percent to religious groups

Katfish on June 14, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Dr Evil on June 14, 2011 at 12:28 PM

I find it to be a very weak excuse to attack him for.
Moronic.
I’m sure there are others things one can find fault with him.
But this, IMO, is a very retarded excuse.

Badger40 on June 14, 2011 at 12:31 PM

How many of you Perry advocates actually live in Texas? I’m curious. Those of us who do are not all that enthused about a possible Perry candidacy. He has always struck me as a pure politician with too much of a used-car salesman vibe. He’s been a reasonably good governor but there haven’t been any good challengers that don’t shoot themselves in the foot. It was not hard to be to the right of Kay Baily Hutchison. So I’ve voted for him but only because I can’t vote for a democrat or an obvious RINO. Perry is not a RINO, but he’s not as strong a conservative as you non-Texans may believe. The Texas economy has been stronger because of legislation passed by conservative(ish) legislators over the last 16 years or so (starting with Bush). Perry was Lt. Gov. to start out and had more influence then. But, whether we like it or not Perry would be painted as “Bush, the sequel” even though he is not. He’ll be painted as a cowboy and a secessionist even though his comments on that were NOT as portrayed (I was at the Tea Party rally where he spoke about it, so I know he’s been getting a raw deal on that). I don’t know if he’d rise to the top if he declared. It would not be instantaneous, that’s for certain. People will be wary of another Texan, even in Texas. Were he to be nominated, I’d support him. But at this point, I’m not sure he’s the best.

BillyWilly on June 14, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Dr Evil on June 14, 2011 at 12:28 PM

That’s good to hear. From what I know of him, I like him for the most part. If he is going to contend that Teflon quality is invaluable!

I worry mainly about his flying off and using the “secession” word, for example and his support for Creationism in the schools. I don’t know how many other nutty things there are about him. Perhaps that Teflon coating would allow him to weather the blow back from that kind of thing.

He is a tremendously successful governor of a huge and important state. He has helped make TX the anti-California and the clear winner in the competition among states.

MJBrutus on June 14, 2011 at 12:34 PM

csdeven on June 14, 2011 at 12:25 PM

You evidently know nothing about this disease.
This little article only scratches the surface.I have been watching this disease for years.
you have absolutely no idea how many people in this country have it.
That’s bcs it’s a silent thing.
So many have it & have no outward symptoms.

Badger40 on June 14, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Katfish on June 14, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Did he give to other causes at all?
Bcs I don’t consider his lack of giving to religious organizations a deal breaker.
What other things has he done?

Badger40 on June 14, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Badger40 on June 14, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Proof? LOL

It’s been my experience that there is no amount of proof that can open the eyes of someone who chooses not to see.

Look, I’m not anti-Perry. I do know him. I’ve been a Texan my entire 60+ years. I’m a participating member of the Texas GOP and have been for at least the last 30 years. We all knew what that was all about. Perry could have handled it better, but he chose not to. That vaccine program was put into a bill before he decided on another term. It was his golden egg. We all knew that. I just saying Perry is not the ‘true conservative’ that some are looking for. So be sure you know what you’re getting. He’s a very good politician. He knows how to push the right buttons.

And like I said, I don’t want to give up another governor to the presidency only to have him turned on the way they turned on GWB. Once is enough for this Texan.

Texas Gal on June 14, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Dr Evil on June 14, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Ugh, my comment got eaten.

I’m glad to hear that about him. If he runs, that quality will be invaluable to him.

I worry about his use of the “secess10n” word. Also of his support for Creationism in science classes. I don’t know what other nuttiness there is to know about him, but that Teflon coating will be mandatory if he is going to advance.

P.S. Badger40: I didn’t see that as an attack at all. I saw it as a compliment.

MJBrutus on June 14, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Proof? LOL

Texas Gal on June 14, 2011 at 12:36 PM

That’s great. But I would like some proof of these assertions bcs I live in ND.
And I do not know him personally.
I am willing to give him a chance.
But I don’t go for the “I know he/she is bad & go find your own proof” argument.
Help me truthfully understand why he’s bad for this country.
The vaccine angle is pathetic.
Give me REAL reasons to oppose this guy over the current crop.

Badger40 on June 14, 2011 at 12:40 PM

The problem with Perry is that the Left will paint him as

NickDeringer on June 14, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Do you hear what you are saying?

faraway on June 14, 2011 at 12:43 PM

P.S. Badger40: I didn’t see that as an attack at all. I saw it as a compliment.

MJBrutus on June 14, 2011 at 12:38 PM

See I don’t really worry about the 10 Argument. IDK if he’s been talking secession. But the 10th is a real legitimate issue that the media has really tried to villify people for.
It is a Const Amendment for God’s sake. It has real importance.
State soveriegnty is KEY to power in this country. The Fed has forgotten that & the states have let it.
As far as Creationism, you know I think where I stand on that. I am a religous woman, & a science teacher.
The 2 are very separate from each other & sohuld be.
But schools & the boards that oversee them, made up of citizens, should be able to have control over what their children learn, whether you or I agree with it or not.
So if he truly is a Creationist, I won’t throw him under the bus for it.
But I do seriously wonder at his critical thinking ability bcs of it.

Badger40 on June 14, 2011 at 12:44 PM

He’s a very good politician. He knows how to push the right buttons.

Texas Gal on June 14, 2011 at 12:36 PM

See, this is how I feel about Senator John Hoeven of ND.
If he were to ever run for POTUS, I’d be concerned myself.

Badger40 on June 14, 2011 at 12:45 PM

So all you Perry supporters are ok with:

1- in-state tuition for illegal aliens?

2- mandating your young girls to be vaccinated with a questionalble vaccine?

I think the more we know of Perry, true conservatives will find him lacking. As Levin says, “full disclosure is hell”.

stenwin77 on June 14, 2011 at 10:33 AM

But hasn’t Levin been touting Perry lately?

Rational Thought on June 14, 2011 at 12:45 PM

I have to defend Gingrich on this one and say that most Americans knew exactly what he was talking about and were nodding their heads along to what he said.

How many stories does Hot Air post about the TSA feeling up a little kid, an old woman, or taking away a mentally challenged man’s toy? How many times did you mock the media for refusing to make the connection of the Fort Hood shooter to his religion, or any would be domestic terrorist for that matter? Gingrich should have just came out and said we should do as the Israelis do and profile those who fit the profile – young Muslim men in their 20s and 30s. This isn’t McCarthyism, it is common sense and though the left will scream racism, the majority of Americans (including Muslim Americans) know it makes sense. The Israelis do it, so if Obama wants to insinuate we would be racist for following Israel’s lead, then let him also explain how racist he thinks the Isralis are for doing it.

Daemonocracy on June 14, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Help me truthfully understand why he’s bad for this country.
The vaccine angle is pathetic.
Give me REAL reasons to oppose this guy over the current crop.

Badger40 on June 14, 2011 at 12:40 PM

I didn’t say he was bad for the country. Did you not read my “Look, I’m not anti-Perry. I do know him”

You seem to be hung up on the validity of making the vaccine mandatory as a health issue. It that was the case, Perry bailed out pretty fast when he decided he was running for another term.

I’m not here to give you reasons to oppose Perry. Seriously, I’m not up for another Texas governor to be thrown to the wolves when he mutters that phrase.. pathway to citizenship. It’s gonna happen.

Texas Gal on June 14, 2011 at 12:48 PM

These guys are idiots. Why participate in these LSM debates? If you want to debate, set it up in a public forum, invite the public to ask questions, and don’t have the media do anything else but televise it. Use them. Thank God for Palin; she won’t let the LSM decide the timing of debates or the GOP candidate for POTUS. These stupid pet trick questions the LSM ask, and not one of the idiots on the debate panel had the balls to tell the mediots that the questions were pointless.

SilentWatcher on June 14, 2011 at 12:49 PM

I saw the headline and then Rick Perry’s picture and burst out laughing because that was my thought as well.

I like Rick Perry for President as he has a ton of executive experience as a Governor who understands what it takes to get a budget passed that makes economic sense. He uses his line item veto pen heavily at budget time. He is a Governor who has shown how to get jobs and not have the Texas economy go totally in the tank even after Obama shut off oil drilling in the Gulf. Perry understands oil and gas and how important the drilling is and won’t let a lizard or now a beetle stop drilling in the Permian Basin. Maybe he will decide that the salamander in the Comal Springs should not hold San Antonio hostage for water since it burrows into the mud during a drought and comes back active when the Springs fill back up.

Don’t think people from other parts of the country realize how the EPA has been after Texas and Oklahoma for years. Both states have spent a ton of money fighting the EPA including in Court. The Environmental Impact studies they make us do in this part of the country looking for some creature to stop building or drilling is wrong.

Personally think the EPA should become an endangered species.

Rick Perry is one Governor who is energetic when he speaks and you know where he stands plus he has taken on Obama face to face not on Twitter. He is also the longest serving Governor of Texas taking over in January 2001 when then Gov Bush became President Bush so when you talk experience as a Governor — Rick Perry fits the bill. May not always agree with some of his decisions, but agree with him at least 95+% of the time. Actually can only think of a few decisions that he could have handled better, but unlike some people, he will admit when he is wrong.

You won’t be finding Rick Perry’s comments on Twitter or email — not going to happen and really smart IMHO. He will interview with any and all.

You know he is serious when the Austin ‘birdcage’ Statesman, pro-Obama paper starts bringing out why he shouldn’t run. You would think they would want him out as Governor but then they would have Dewhurst as Governor and don’t think they want him either.

The Texas legislature special session ends the end of June and would be great on the 4th of July to wake up and find out Rick Perry is running for President. Would really like it if he announced at the SRLC.

PhiKapMom on June 14, 2011 at 12:51 PM

MJBrutus on June 14, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Perry is a social conservative, and he has no problem feeding his base red meat. I thought the secession talk was over the top, but the Tea Party wave was moving fast across Texas, and Perry understood his political survival was tied up in his relationship with the Tea Party. That’s what was at the bottom of the secession talk. Perry’s reaction to the Tea Party movement. Perry has good political instincts. The pluses for Perry on the secession talk is that Texas was an independent country before it joined the United States, it’s not like they haven’t gone it alone before. He has positives, like his military service and he is pro life. Perry is going to be hard for the MSM to nail down, he’s careful about taking an unpopular position like cap and tax, and romneycare. I doubt seriously he would endorse ethanol subsidies. I could be wrong, but there are enough evangelicals in Texas, he doesn’t need to pander to the ones in Iowa, promising them stuff. He already has a track record with evangelicals this is the bible belt. So if the evangelicals in Iowa, picked Romney over Perry it wouldn’t be over religion.

Dr Evil on June 14, 2011 at 12:54 PM

FTA: Gingrich has a problem in debate formats, which is that he doesn’t like to be challenged — and it shows. He looked angry and argumentative, and at times almost resentful.

What on Earth is wrong with treating CNN that way? He did not display that behavior with other Republicans.

Republicans need to get a lot more aggressive and even abusive of the old liberal media. Let’s stop enabling them.

slickwillie2001 on June 14, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Badger40 on June 14, 2011 at 12:35 PM

We’ll have to agree to disagree.

Results of a nationally representative study show that genital herpes infection is common in the United States. Nationwide, 16.2%, or about one out of six, people 14 to 49 years of age have genital HSV-2 infection. Over the past decade, the percentage of Americans with genital herpes infection in the U.S. has remained stable.

Generally, a person can only get HSV-2 infection during sexual contact with someone who has a genital HSV-2 infection. Transmission can occur from an infected partner who does not have a visible sore and may not know that he or she is infected.

csdeven on June 14, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Texas Gal on June 14, 2011 at 12:48 PM

No not really. I do not want people to use the vaccine issue as a sticking point.
And my greater concern is the anti-vaccine crowd garbage.
I always like to nip that in the bud when I see even the slightest manifestation.

csdeven on June 14, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Do you have herpes? Do you know what it does to you?
I do. I contracted it from a husband who suffered from cold sores, through no fault of my own, nor his.
I am not saying people should be forced to vaccinate their young kids for this.
But it IS an issue & for every source you find that says it shouldn’t be a concern, I can find more that say it is.
The point here is, the mandate is not a huge issue, the health issue IS a concern & it should not just be casually swept away just bcs it isn’t an airborne disease. It is veyr communicable & the fact that it is secretly carried by people who have no clue they have it should be a cause for concern.
From what I see, PErry was convinced it was an issue & he tried to do something about it. I don’t think it is an issue to attack him for.
Bcs it sounds like he has plenty other things to be worried about.

Badger40 on June 14, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Palin, obviously. No big winner in the debate and Romney is just begging to be knocked off.

Like a great coach, Palin is watching her opponents and learning their strategies, while keeping hers secret. She gets to pick the date and time to engage them and on her terms.

I couldn’t do what she is doing. If I had the fire in the belly, I wouldn’t be able to stay out. The discipline that it takes to stay out (officially) until the time suits her is amazing. Palin get’s to take everything the other candidates say and use it against them in later debates, while giving them no ammunition to attack her with.

I doubt if people like Perry, Giuliani, and Christie are not in the race because they don’t have the fire in the belly. I don’t think any of them can win without it.

huckleberryfriend on June 14, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Texas Ricky?

…..do we want a third term of George W. Bush?

….would he really stop the runaway spending and go against his own party?

PappyD61 on June 14, 2011 at 1:04 PM

csdeven on June 14, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Doesn’t this connect with your brain here?
The actual known # of cases of infected persons is actually UNKNOWN.
And among young people, I’m sure the UNKONWN cases are probably higher since teenagers don’t usually go to the Dr or call attention to these things on their own unless it’s problematic for them.

Badger40 on June 14, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Perry has been the most pro physician Governor a doctor could hope
for. He’s driven the plaintiff attorney bar insane.

And HPV is not HSV is not HIV.

Wonder how many Romney plants here bashing Governor Perry.

Marcus on June 14, 2011 at 1:07 PM

If I had the fire in the belly, I wouldn’t be able to stay out.
huckleberryfriend on June 14, 2011 at 1:03 PM

As a fire in her belly kinda gal, when the opposition is so strong, sometimes you just get to the point & shrug & say, screw you all you get what you deserve. I don’t believe Palin is there.
But I got there when I tried to do something about a local school & school board situation.
When just about everyone is playing the stupid game, it’s pretty hard to drum up excitement to do the right thing.

Badger40 on June 14, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Why why why does the RNC agree to lousy debate formats hosted by liberals on liberal networks? The only purpose of last night’s debate was to make Obama look good.

The RNC should have O’Reilly, Baier or Wallace host these debates.

Will Joy Behar and Whoopi Goldberg host the next debate?

the_souse on June 14, 2011 at 1:10 PM

From what I see, Perry was convinced it was an issue & he tried to do something about it. I don’t think it is an issue to attack him for.
Bcs it sounds like he has plenty other things to be worried about.

Badger40 on June 14, 2011 at 1:03 PM

It was the mandatory age for girls as young as 9 years old. Not so much the vaccine itself. It’s offered on a volunteer basis in Texas anyway it’s just not mandatory.

Perry has a good relationship with Hispanics. There is an illegal alien population in Texas. Their culture is different from ours. A 14 year old pregnant girl would not get a second look south of our border. That’s not a criticism- it an observation, but if you are trying to improve women’s health, that demographic of the population has got to be taken into consideration.

It would be nice if the Republicans got the majority of the Hispanic vote in 2012.

Dr Evil on June 14, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Perry will be this election’s Fred Thompson. I still don’t think we’ve seen the GOP nominee yet.

the_souse on June 14, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Things to start googling:

Rick Perry bi-national health insurance
Rick Perry ACORN
Rick Perry undocumented workers

MadisonConservative on June 14, 2011 at 10:14 AM

plus:
Rick Perry, HPV
Rick Perry, Trans-Texas Corridor
Rick Perry, in-state tuition for illegals.

PappyD61 on June 14, 2011 at 1:17 PM

But Palin has said on at least 2 occasions that she DOES have the fire in the belly. In her book, she says she learned that lesson when she ran for Lt Governor and didn’t have the fire. That taught her to never run for an office if she didn’t have the fire.

So I believe when she recently told us she had the fire, she was saying she is running.

huckleberryfriend on June 14, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Things to start googling:

Rick Perry bi-national health insurance
Rick Perry ACORN
Rick Perry undocumented workers

MadisonConservative on June 14, 2011 at 10:14 AM

plus:
Rick Perry, HPV
Rick Perry, Trans-Texas Corridor
Rick Perry, in-state tuition for illegals.

PappyD61 on June 14, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Of course you are both right, it’s better if Obama get’s the majority of the Hispanic vote in the next election. There is no need for the Republicans to go after the largest minority in the country.

Dr Evil on June 14, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Dr Evil on June 14, 2011 at 1:21 PM

That’s exactly my fear. And those who are pushing Perry forward need to understand his position on that before he is too far ahead of the rest and before Malkin et al start the anti-amnesty campaign against him after the primary.

Texas Gal on June 14, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Do you have herpes? Do you know what it does to you?
I am not saying people should be forced to vaccinate their young kids for this.
Bcs it sounds like he has plenty other things to be worried about.

Badger40 on June 14, 2011 at 1:03 PM

I am not attacking Perry. I do not like the idea that I have to opted out of a program. Those people who see it as an issue should opt in.

csdeven on June 14, 2011 at 1:27 PM

he he….

Matt Lewis Tweets:

“Due to demand, I am told the upcoming RightOnline Conference is moving the screening of “The Undefeated” to a 1,000-seat main ballroom.”

tencole on June 14, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Texas Gal on June 14, 2011 at 1:26 PM

I really do appreciate your reasoned explanation of Perry’s positions! I know nothing of him, and until he announces, I wont put a bunch of time into him. But if he does, I’ll be looking to folks like you.

csdeven on June 14, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Texas Gal on June 14, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Yep, and it comes down to, do they want the Presidency back? I think Rick Perry could do it. I don’t know that Palin has any plans on jumping in. Perry is in a good political position to launch a very good campaign. But he’s not going to be “perfect” all things to all people. He’s going to make the conservative base happy, that’s a given. I think the establishment Republicans could live with him too, he moves between the two demographics. In comparison to Romney he’s a much stronger candidate IMO.

Dr Evil on June 14, 2011 at 1:31 PM

he he….

Matt Lewis Tweets:

tencole on June 14, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Praying their will be video of the protestors…

Roy Rogers on June 14, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Rick Perry hasn’t demonstrated any ability to command the stage, why are we assuming he would? If he gets in, let him prove he’s better than the other candidates. Palin will certainly have to do so. There’s no need to blow sunshine for anyone.

alwaysfiredup on June 14, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Ed, Rick Perry is not charasmatic.

terryannonline on June 14, 2011 at 1:35 PM

I’m from the Fred Thompson ’08 First Principles and Common Sense platform, for the record. And so far as the debate went last night, only Mitt made egregious errors on the record. (1) No such thing as any US court ruling pro-Sharia law. WRONG. (2) Inflation will cure Obama’s Depression: “Raise the cost of housing!” to bring manufacturing back to America. Dumber than dumb.

Well, if you like Ron Paul, you liked him last night, and if you don’t, you saw what you normally saw. Other than Bachmann, he may have allowed more of his actual personality out than the other candidates, but again, that’s not necessarily a good thing for his electoral chances. Paul offered a completely incoherent answer on emergency room treatment that ended up opposing attacks on the Catholic Church while offering the suggestion that Catholics fund indigent care.

Ed painted himself into a corner, not admitting his own blind spot.

But to this day the LORD has not given you a mind that understands or eyes that see or ears that hear.

Ron Paul stated that it is not the place of the government to be mandating universal health care, that in the State of Texas illegal aliens have bankrupted our hospitals and public education system; and so far as illegal aliens are concerned, that traditionally the Catholic Church (i.e., Private Charities) provided the structural social framework for Mexico’s population of non-aristocrats (education/care).

BTW, PBS broadcast a very informative history of Mexico last night after the CNN debate. Anyone else catch it?

maverick muse on June 14, 2011 at 1:36 PM

When I think of Rick Perry I automatically think of George Bush.

In exactly the same way, when I think of Mitt Romney I think of Deval Patrick. When I think of Sarah Palin I think of Sean Parnell, when I think of Jon Huntsman I think of Gary Herbert, etc…

Because I’m a retard? I wonder if everyone in the U.S. a retard like me.

jaime on June 14, 2011 at 1:38 PM

I say every candidate gets to goes thru the Sarah E-mail Gauntlet.

djohn669 on June 14, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Who was the night’s biggest winner?

I’m guessing it’s between Maxwell House and Folgers.

hillbillyjim on June 14, 2011 at 1:42 PM

JonahNRO Jonah Goldberg
Breaking: In bid for attention Pawlenty admits to being lesbian online.
24 minutes ago

steebo77 on June 14, 2011 at 1:42 PM

csdeven on June 14, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Dr Evil on June 14, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Rick is a great campaigner and he could beat Obama IF the Republicans stick with him. And yes, Rick can take the Hispanic vote from Obama .. even with some kind of long term worker vs citizenship plan for illegals would take it .. BUT don’t bring that issue to the national election, best it be resolved right now before Rick even gets into the race. We need momentum.

Texas Gal on June 14, 2011 at 1:44 PM

PhiKapMom on June 14, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Good post. This Texan thanks you.

redwhiteblue on June 14, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Texas Gal on June 14, 2011 at 1:44 PM

I do think he’s seriously considering it. If Palin isn’t going to save us from Mitt Romney, someone needs to, and anyway my heroes have always been cowboys GRIN.

Dr Evil on June 14, 2011 at 1:51 PM

anyway my heroes have always been cowboys GRIN.

Dr Evil on June 14, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Mine too. Rick does fit a nice pair of jeans.. :)

I just want to win! I want to see Mr and Mrs Obama wave goodbye and get on Marine 1 the last time. I’ll support whoever is the GOP nominee.. it’s too important to our country.

What can I say, I’m a cheap date… I JUST WANT TO WIN!!!!!!!!1

Texas Gal on June 14, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Based on past elections, Perry will sound great during his campaign, then disappoint once elected. Thank God he’s considering a run at the Presidency, because we’re actually getting some of the conservative legislation passed in during the special session. I wonder if that sanctuary city legislation that passed yesterday would have passed were he not considering the Presidency?

My money will be sent to Bachmann.

And for Dan Patrick for Senator once he announces…

golfer1 on June 14, 2011 at 1:58 PM

I know only about Perry’s occasional bouts of RINOism, and nothing else. Why do so many people seem to believe that he’s a big deal? I know every single candidate that was on stage last night — but I don’t know Perry.

So…how on earth is he supposed to win anything?

Jaibones on June 14, 2011 at 2:00 PM

I didn’t read all the comments so excuse me if I’m missing something. But the HPV vaccination is to prevent the human papillomovirus which is responsible for some cervical cancers. I think it’s known for genital warts not herpes. Maybe they can go together but I don’t think it is the same thing.

When the HPV vaccination mess came up…my daughter was in the age range for it. I was livid and would have found a way to opt out. Even now that she is 16 I have talked to my doctor and have decided against it. But that being said…Perry backed off when the public went nuts over it. I may not agree with everything he’s done but he doesn’t usually continue to push ideas on us that we do not want!

maables on June 14, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Let’s be real:

That is what we wish the GOP debate looked like.

cpaulus on June 14, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Mine too. Rick does fit a nice pair of jeans.. :)

What can I say, I’m a cheap date… I JUST WANT TO WIN!!!!!!!!1

Texas Gal on June 14, 2011 at 1:55 PM

I’m right there with ya!

maables on June 14, 2011 at 2:04 PM

So any conversation about Perry begins with STDs?

That is just great.

I did google the bi-national health insurance plan and, well, this is a problem. I don’t understand what he wants but just the fact that we can’t even begin to address this problem with our own country and our own citizens having to co-ordinate with dysfuncitonal Mexico is simply outrageous.

Apparently this is a brain child of ACORN.

It bears more research than the couple of minutes I spent, but Perry doesn’t come with some pretty heavy baggage.

petunia on June 14, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Jaibones on June 14, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Gee, could it have anything to do with this: employment comparisons.

MJBrutus on June 14, 2011 at 2:06 PM

When I think of Rick Perry I automatically think of George Bush.

Because I’m a retard? I wonder if everyone in the U.S. a retard like me.

jaime on June 14, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Hope not.

fossten on June 14, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Dr Evil on June 14, 2011 at 1:13 PM

I can see, like I said, why he was for this.
Which is why I think it’s lame to even bring it up as a strike against him.

maables on June 14, 2011 at 2:03 PM

This is a good point.

and anyway my heroes have always been cowboys GRIN.

Dr Evil on June 14, 2011 at 1:51 PM

As a woman married to one, I can tell you it’s nothing but adventure;)

csdeven on June 14, 2011 at 1:27 PM

I don’t think you are. And I agree with you this particular vaccine should not be mandated.
But I can appreciate the concern behind it & I think it is a non-issue, concerning Perry.
I am most concerned with people getting the wrong idea about vaccine mandates bcs there should be some in place.

Badger40 on June 14, 2011 at 2:17 PM

For some that will be Sarah Palin: me, for one.

a gilt-edged invitation to Rick Perry to join the field: also – just in case Option 1 doesn’t materialize (little though I expect that …it’s still her’s to lose) – me.

davisbr on June 14, 2011 at 2:18 PM

So any conversation about Perry begins with STDs?

That is just great.

Apparently this is a brain child of ACORN.

petunia on June 14, 2011 at 2:04 PM

No it wasn’t. Read through the posts about why it came up in the 1st place.
I don’t know anything about this health care thing.
So more info on it is welcomed.
Bcs if he wants close partnerships like that with Mexico, I say no bcs they need to get thier own $hit together & come up to OUR standards, or no play.

Badger40 on June 14, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Hmmmm. . . wouldn’t you have to actually read Dana Milbank to see if he were impressed?

You need your brain washed out with soap after that . . .

Adjoran on June 14, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Nonsense. He could have stood by his “ObamneyCare” attack with a single word: “mandates”. In fact, as I’m sure people must have pointed out yesterday, CNN was actually flashing “health care mandates” at the bottom of the screen during his answer!

I don’t know if I would say there was a winner in this debate, but Pawlenty lost. So did Cain – did anyone notice how content-free his answers were? I can’t remember the exact phrasing, but some of them were to the effect of “we need to get the economy on track because a bad economy is going to cost us jobs.” “So what would you do to get the economy on track?”. “well, I would focus on job creation.”

Granted, most of the candidates did a little bit of this, but it seemed like Cain was doing it way more and in a way more obvious fashion. He seemed like a decent guy who probably is very good at what he does, but has no real thoughts on how to implement a conservative agenda.

RINO in Name Only on June 14, 2011 at 2:40 PM

RINO in Name Only on June 14, 2011 at 2:40 PM

All politicians seem to do this.
I hate it.
From what I’ve seen so far, Palin has mostly satisfied me by answering with specifics, but she doesn’t do it enough.
I want MORE specifics from these people.
Bcs they lose my interest fast when they don’t cut to the chase.

Badger40 on June 14, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Man. Just when I thought Ed could do no wrong he writes this nonsense. None of the above wins?? All of the candidates did great tonight and most did excellent. Ed you are going down the wrong road. Read Tina Korbe’s recap and then rethink this nonsense.

TheQuestion on June 14, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Daemonocracy on June 14, 2011 at 12:46

Here, here.

AshleyTKing on June 14, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Gee, could it have anything to do with this: employment comparisons.

MJBrutus on June 14, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Yeah…maybe. I guess.

Are you assuming that everyone gives Rick Perry credit for everything that happens in Texas, a state run by Republicans at all levels of government? But if that were true, wouldn’t every conservative in the country already know all about this guy? No one seems to know anything about him.

Jaibones on June 14, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Texas Gal on June 14, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Great insight. Don’t be shy to share okay! Thanks!

csdeven on June 14, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Great insight. Don’t be shy to share okay! Thanks!

csdeven on June 14, 2011 at 3:19 PM

LOL.. YW… I just want to get the “amnesty” issue with Perry out of the way, then we can kick some Obama boo-tay!

Texas Gal on June 14, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Perry is appearing on the Willis Report today to talk about employment. I wonder why he is interested in obtaining some national exposure? And I wonder why he would make this initial appearance to talk about a subject that he can address with such confidence?

Enquiring minds want to know.

MJBrutus on June 14, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Ed: You missed, misunderstand, and/or misrepresent Mitt Romney’s mistake- or, using your word, stumble- about the U.S. govt/military, Afghanistan govt/military & the Taliban ‘govt’/military. You said: ‘He stumbled, in saying that the Afghans needed to liberate themselves from the Taliban, who are, er, also Afghans.’ What? What are you talking about? What were you watching/listening to/reading? Here is what he actually said: ‘As soon as we (the U.S.) possibly can, ***we (the U.S.) hand the country over to the Taliban military*** in a way that they are able to defend themselves … Excuse me, it should be the Afghan military to defend themselves from the Taliban. That’s an important distinction.’ By the way: Coincidentally, at the same time Mitt Romney said ‘***we (the U.S.) hand the country over to the Taliban military***,’ the CNN camera showed- on TV- the face of a U.S. military man in uniform who was in the live debate audience. It seems like, even as hard as the U.S. military man tried to maintain a straight, neutral face, Mitt Romney’s mistake crossed a line (it hit me hard, too, for someone to confuse those 2, like that), the U.S. military man’s face showed a twitching reaction at the exact moment he heard Mitt Romney make the mistake. Then, a moment later, afterward, as Mitt Romney made it right, the U.S. military man seemingly showed a sigh of relief on his face, even followed up by a slight smile. Now that we all see how it really & actually played out (about 1 minute into this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O574lVfw08s), &, therefore, being rightly informed, we may form our impressions of it all & go on. It’ll be interesting to see if you keep the original copy- a misrepresentation- as you 1st posted it, or if you’ll revise it & make it right. Onward & upward, all.

ABLOGMAN on June 14, 2011 at 3:48 PM

I like Perry, I really do. I have seen what he has done for the TX economy that I was thisclose to actually moving there and taking a job near Austin. I think he could really help to open up doors for our economy to get back on its feet.

My only problem is Texas Fatigue. We had GWB for 8 years, coming from the same position as Perry has right now, and not sure if people are going to want that.

But, I will say this, IF Sarah does not run and he does, I would gladly vote for him without holding my nose

ConservativePartyNow on June 14, 2011 at 3:55 PM

My only problem is Texas Fatigue.

ConservativePartyNow on June 14, 2011 at 3:55 PM

For some reason Texas fatigue takes a LOT longer to wear on me than Chicago fatigue.

John the Libertarian on June 14, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Enquiring minds want to know.

MJBrutus on June 14, 2011 at 3:34 PM

He’s just about to appear on Cavuto, too.

beancounter on June 14, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Anyone watching Perry on Cavuto? “Taxation, regulation, and litigation” are hurting job producers. I like the alliteration!

Rational Thought on June 14, 2011 at 4:45 PM

all of them did at least a competent job

I’m not interested in a President who can do “at least a copetent job.”

davidk on June 14, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Rational Thought on June 14, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Just caught it. Impressive showing.

John the Libertarian on June 14, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Yeah…maybe. I guess.

Jaibones on June 14, 2011 at 3:16 PM

That’s changed as more and more states fall apart and Texas remains steady.

fossten on June 14, 2011 at 4:47 PM

That’s changed as more and more states fall apart and Texas remains steady.

fossten on June 14, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Yeah, but in fairness a lot of red states are doing OK, and not all of them have petro dollars either.

pseudoforce on June 14, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Rational Thought on June 14, 2011 at 4:45 PM

LOL. That’s not alliterative, but I get your point :-)

MJBrutus on June 14, 2011 at 5:06 PM