Recap: Bachmann rocks CNN GOP presidential debate

posted at 8:45 am on June 14, 2011 by Tina Korbe

MANCHESTER, NH — Between the tweets (often far funnier and more insightful than the candidates’ comments!), the chatter (a constant eavesdropping temptation) and a certain delicious marinated chicken sandwich (thank you, CNN!), I confess I was a little distracted last night in the media room. But it seems every time I found myself spellbound by the debate screen, I was staring at Rep. Michele Bachmann. Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney also deserves the mentions he’ll undoubtedly receive: On almost every subject, he spoke even more deftly than expected.

I’m not alone in my assessment. An early National Journal insider poll shows politicos favoring Romney and Bachmann by large pluralities:

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney made the best impression among Republican political operatives, campaign consultants, and party strategists during the first half of the CNN GOP New Hampshire presidential debate according to a special National Journal Political Insiders Poll conducted while the debate was in progress. Rep. Michele Bachmann of Minnesota was also off to a good start.

Insiders were asked, “In the first half of the debate, which candidate impressed you the most?” Among the 52 GOP Insiders who responded, 42 percent said that Romney had impressed the most and 31 percent said Bachmann had.

Among the 43 Democratic Insiders who responded, 38 percent of them said Bachmann had been the most impressive while 28 percent said Romney was.

Some tweeters have already dismissed this positive view of Romney and Bachmann as “conventional wisdom” or a reflection of some kind of RINO ideology. But I don’t think that’s fair. As The Washington Post’s Ezra Klein (someone with whom I very rarely agree!) put it on Twitter: “Romney’s polish was perhaps to be expected. But Bachmann is much newer to politics than much of the field. Her ease is impressive.” Even if it might represent conventional wisdom to laud Romney, to recognize Bachmann as a top performer tonight is just to speak truth. She nailed the fiscal issues (here, her comments bore particular credibility because of the uncompromising position she occupied during the TARP debate). She nailed the social issues with rousing references to God-given inalienable rights and to states’ prerogative to determine certain policies. She even nailed the opportunity she was given in the lightning foreign policy round.

Her message resonated because, as her spokeswoman Alice Stewart put it, “she knows what people are talking about at the breakfast table.” It seems she really does.

That’s not to say she deserves no criticism. At times, she pandered. She announced her presidential announcement — and not even in her introductory remarks, but after the first question. She touted the introduction of bills as definitive accomplishments. (She’s right to mention her repeal bills — just not to make them sound filed and finished). She turned a tender and precious personal accomplishment into somewhat of a talking point.

But, by and large, she demonstrated the poise for which she should be known. Now that I think about it, it’s actually a little surprising her performance tonight comes as a surprise: When, at Tea Party rallies or on the House floor, has she not been relatively eloquent?

That’s the catch, though: The debate revealed Romney’s refinement and Bachmann’s sparkle. It reduced the rest of the candidates to a cluster of individuals for whom cliched descriptions of tonight’s performance are sufficient (so much so that I don’t even want to do the conventional rundown and reduce still-solid candidates who merely underperformed last night to words like “underwhelming,” “vague,” or “a little better/worse than last time’). But the splashy CNN debate format, insufficient answer time and shortchanging of substantive questions ensured viewers learned little else of worth to distinguish the candidates from one another than who performed best under pressure.

Debates alone can’t and won’t determine the GOP nominee (hate to say it, but plenty of pragmatic factors are still at issue — money, experience and again with the electability), but the spectacle was still an enjoyable one — not least because, in terms of the policy answers the candidates did give, the GOP field tonight revealed itself to be anything but a weak one.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Anyone ?

deadrody on June 14, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Palin is not in yet. Bachmann is fine. She drives the left almost as crazy as Palin does. If you believe what the CNN guys are saying you’re nuts.

gh on June 14, 2011 at 10:54 AM

If Palin is going to run, she needs to hurry up before Bachman stills her share of the votes.

jeffn21 on June 14, 2011 at 10:41 AM

With Rollins showing her the way, I don’t see that happening.

littleguy on June 14, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Sarah Palin plays by her own rules. She doesn’t need anyone telling her what to do…..

idesign on June 14, 2011 at 10:32 AM

right2bright on June 14, 2011 at 10:54 AM

I wouldn’t take a job that could put my family in that position.

csdeven on June 14, 2011 at 10:24 AM

What if you had? What would you do?

either orr on June 14, 2011 at 10:55 AM

deadrody on June 14, 2011 at 10:36 AM

In my world before I sign a 4 year contract I make sure I am ready to fulfill the terms of that contract. And if I do decide I want out of the contract, I accept the consequences for doing so.

Palin the Rock Star Goddess has no one but herself to blame for being labeled a quitter. She has been in politics in a very corrupt state for many years and doubled down on her families exposure to that by running for governor. She tripled down on it when she agreed to be McCain’s VP candidate.

And now her fans thinks she wants to quadrupole down on it by asking to be the POTUS?

Pffft! We already know Rock Star Palin’s priorities are. 1) Faith, 2) Family, 3) Alaska.

csdeven on June 14, 2011 at 10:56 AM

right not2bright on June 14, 2011 at 10:52 AM

idesign on June 14, 2011 at 10:56 AM

it isn’t what I want from a leader…

right2bright on June 14, 2011 at 10:54 AM

So, she should show leadership by yielding to your peculiar demands?

littleguy on June 14, 2011 at 10:57 AM

I read this in the comments section to John Fund’s article about Palin, which perfectly summarizes the reasons behind the Left’s hatred and obsession with Palin (and Bachman, as well):

“In the final analysis, we know perfectly well the reasons those on the left hate and fear her.

She reminds liberal “males” that they’ve been emasculated and have morphed into something between the two genders, no longer male but not yet female. That will take another generation. In the meantime they preen, wax, and temper tantrum like school girls, especially when Sarah manhandles a gun. The image of her with that AR15 still makes these “guys” run to their therapists.

She infuriates liberal “women” because they are bitter and miserable and know their domestic life partners fantasize about Sarah. No amount of advanced degrees, titles, letters and accomplishments can erase this plain fact in their minds.

It’s as simple as that.”

uncalheels on June 14, 2011 at 10:58 AM

So after last night, I think that Cain’s goose is pretty much cooked.

MJBrutus on June 14, 2011 at 10:44 AM

I understood much of what he said, but I also realize that it took a lot of thought to get through his explanations. I think most indies will be put off by it.

csdeven on June 14, 2011 at 10:59 AM

right2bright on June 14, 2011 at 10:54 AM

So a good leader doesn’t use tactic against attackers? You’re not 2bright.

the_nile on June 14, 2011 at 11:00 AM

csdeven on June 14, 2011 at 10:56 AM

The more you post, the more sound like a deranged fool….

Keep it up, you’re the joke of the day…LOL

idesign on June 14, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Palin is dead in NH. You wont see her polling more than single digits there after last night. I suppose she can jump in and fight all the little guys for a piece Iowa. Romney is skipping ames straw poll so while they fight for scraps of Iowa he will be locking in NH, NV, SC and FL.

hanzblinx on June 14, 2011 at 11:01 AM

now try actually supporting her gamesmanship…

right2bright on June 14, 2011 at 10:52 AM

It is called a strategy. People do this when they run for office.

I have to say, I find your assertions that Palin has suddenly become an “insider” to be rather silly.

Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Did you not read any of the media stories about her bus tour, that the New Hampshire GOP bigwigs were complaining to lib media outlets about the fact she did not coordinate her plans with them?

They sounded just like the NYT and the WaPo whining about the lack of an itinerary for them to plan with, so they could alert their buddies in the SEIU to have a couple of purple buses show up loaded with neo-commie drones, dressed in matching purple shirts, matching purple signs, directed by some political hack with a megaphone to disrupt and intimidate her at every stop.

She knows what she is doing, and she has clearly said there need to be a few more things fall into place first.

By August 1, I predict we will know for sure.
Maybe before then.
It won’t be in June, I don’t believe, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Brian1972 on June 14, 2011 at 11:01 AM

1) Faith, 2) Family, 3) Alaska.

csdeven on June 14, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Now you’re back to dumping on faith and family again? So, who’s your choice of candidate who isn’t all hung up on faith, family and all that junk??

littleguy on June 14, 2011 at 11:01 AM

MSNBC: five minutes ago….

“The only women in last night’s debate stole the show!”

The push for Bachmann has jumped the shark….

idesign on June 14, 2011 at 11:02 AM

idesign on June 14, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Who do you think did better last night?

MJBrutus on June 14, 2011 at 11:04 AM

The push for Bachmann has jumped the shark….

idesign on June 14, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Dumpster diving did not work out for them as planned.

Roy Rogers on June 14, 2011 at 11:04 AM

The bottom line:

1. Romney: Smooth, but still a RINO. I don’t trust him.
2. Bachmann: Don’t underestimate her abilities, but I’m not sold enough to go all-in with her.
3. Cain: Not for president, even though I really like him.
4. Pawlenty: I expected better. He was starting to catch my attention.
5. Gingrich: Go home, Newt.
6. Santorum: I like him, but not for president yet.
7. Ron Paul: Go raise a ruckus in Congress, Ron. You’re more effective there.

either orr on June 14, 2011 at 11:04 AM

hanzblinx on June 14, 2011 at 11:01 AM

You think Romney is going to lock up South Carolina?

Ok, then. We’ll see.

Brian1972 on June 14, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Who do you think did better last night?

MJBrutus on June 14, 2011 at 11:04 AM

I don’t think anyone won, but Cain was terrible….

idesign on June 14, 2011 at 11:07 AM

I particularly liked the way none of them could be goaded into demeaning the other candidates. I for one am sick and tired of all the infighting. One of the people at those podiums is going to the the next president. One of them may even be the next VP.

DanaSmiles on June 14, 2011 at 11:09 AM

MSNBC: five minutes ago….

“The only women in last night’s debate stole the show!”

The push for Bachmann has jumped the shark….

idesign on June 14, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Chocker , liberals and GOP establishment on the same meme.

Maybe Tina can ask Weigel what’s the latest on journolist.

the_nile on June 14, 2011 at 11:09 AM

What if you had? What would you do?

either orr on June 14, 2011 at 10:55 AM

I would not take that job.

Here is what Rock Star Palin had to do to get herself in the position to have to quit.

1) Get involved in politics (city council)
2) Take another political job. (1st term Mayor)
3) Continue to stay involved in politics. (2nd term Mayor)
4) Take another political job. (Oil and Gas commission)
5) Joined with dems against reps (Renkes)
6) Continued in politics (Ted Stevens Excellence in Public Service, Inc)

In all those positions, she experienced the under belly of politics.

Seriously, I would not sign a four year contract under those conditions and anyone who would deserves exactly what they get when they break that contract.

csdeven on June 14, 2011 at 11:14 AM

DanaSmiles on June 14, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Remove the RINO and you may be correct

Roy Rogers on June 14, 2011 at 11:15 AM

deserves exactly what they get when they break that contract.

csdeven on June 14, 2011 at 11:14 AM

LOL. What, the unrelenting scorn of csdeven?

littleguy on June 14, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Obama fundraiser underwhelms

“The reason we’re here today is because our work’s not done,” Obama said after hushing the crowd. “Our work is not complete. We’re not at the summit. We’re just part way up the mountain. There is more to do.”

Obama “don’t feel no ways tired” that he can’t play some golf.

Roy Rogers on June 14, 2011 at 11:19 AM

We don’t need no steeenkin RINO’s!

Roy Rogers on June 14, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Silly me to disagree with the “experts”.

I found Bachmann’s answers to be more truncated than necessary. While I appreciated the personal philosophy and background where she is very good, I think she is working hard to become more than a one-trick pony.

I also think her femininity hindered her because she was also too nice to get in a feeding frenzy with the men in claiming extra time. She cooperated with the moderator too much. I’ll give her a pass over it this time, but if she does it again I’ll start to think of her as a polite non-fighting fighter (a la John McCain).

Romney was given a blank check on answer time. T-Paw fought for more. Gingrich didn’t need it. Cain, Santorum and Paul didn’t want it except on pet topics.

rwenger43 on June 14, 2011 at 11:20 AM

1) Get involved in politics (city council)
2) Take another political job. (1st term Mayor)
3) Continue to stay involved in politics. (2nd term Mayor)
4) Take another political job. (Oil and Gas commission)
5) Joined with dems against reps (Renkes)
6) Continued in politics (Ted Stevens Excellence in Public Service, Inc)

csdeven on June 14, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Thanks for undercutting your own ‘quitter’ meme. Self-pwnage is the best kind of pwnage.

fossten on June 14, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Bachmann walked away with it, Ron Paul was Ron Paul, Cain proved he’s not ready for prime time, Pawlenty pussed out, Gingrich had no reason to be there, Romney was a dime store mannequin, and Santorum was reasonably slick enough to cover up the fact that he’s a big-government crusader.

MadisonConservative on June 14, 2011 at 11:32 AM

You’re right. In hardball politics like we have going on today, nice and polite are a handicap. I’ve been saying for months–she smiles and bats her artificial eyelashes too much. No, no, no. Stop it sweet, Christian lady. Lemme hear ya growl, dammit. Points for Gingrich–the only alpha in the room.

RepubChica on June 14, 2011 at 11:39 AM

I wouldn’t take a job that could put my family in that position.

csdeven on June 14, 2011 at 10:24 AM

The most honest statement I’ve ever read from you. With a self-vindicating spin, of course.

Allow me to interpret your words like you do Mrs Palin’s actions, to csdeven you, so to speak:
I would never undertake anything so important in life that, if I failed to complete it, would make me the target of criticism from internet trolls and underachievers, so help me God.”

You need to brush up on your Teddy Roosevelt.
I challenge you to read “While Daring Greatly” before you do anymore trolling. It just might change your life.

rwenger43 on June 14, 2011 at 11:39 AM

she’s the Establishment Anti-Palin.

The media will dispose of Bachmann after Palin announces she’s not running.

PappyD61 on June 14, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Hmmm, I wonder if her team could be that brilliant…

elfman on June 14, 2011 at 11:41 AM

right2bright = csdeven 2.0?

We have a new meme that gets repeated ad nauseum regardless of the response, folks.

Well, this is not a “game” this is an election, and it has started…either she is in or out, but “playing” around doesn’t impress me any. I prefer my candidates as being straight shooters, not “gamers”…and she is becoming a “gamer”, just another insider politico like Romney or Gingrich.
right2bright on June 14, 2011 at 9:28 AM

And speaks ill of her decision making, or that “politics” trumps decision making…This smacks of just another political hack move, something that Romney and his group would dream up.
right2bright on June 14, 2011 at 9:30 AM

No, she blasted Obama for not being able to make quick decisions…but she can diddle away?
You mean that she does not know whether to run or not? She doesn’t have enough information…or is she just “playing the game”I like straight shooters, not “gamers”. Romney is a “gamer” Gingrich the same…it gets tiresome to support a person who is not upfront and honest…you may like the “mystique”, I think it is foolish this election.
We need to get on, and have as much horsepower as possible to defeat Obama.
Game playing does nothing for me…glad you enjoy being taken for a ride…as POTUS she should be able to make this one decision fairly easy by now.
right2bright on June 14, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Sorry pal, if she can’t make a decision, than I don’t know how she could make a decision to send troops into war…don’t forget her hammering Obama on being indecisive.
This is the time to stop “politicking” and start making decisionsI don’t want a political hack, I want a decision maker in the office.
It’s not a matter of “patience” it’s a matter of being able to be honest, forthright, and making a decision…the time is quickly coming.
This is for the President, not the school prom, where she worries about if her friend is running…if she thinks she is the best candidate, than run, if not, step aside.
I think she is great…but not if she drags this political drama out.
My suggestion, since she can’t make a decision, or be honest with whatever decision, show some leadership, and throw your support behind a candidate now…let’s get this show on the road and take down Obama early…
right2bright on June 14, 2011 at 9:54 AM

I noticed when I called you out on a wrong statement you didn’t acknowledge…hiding?
I am not asking for “all of her plans”, you don’t consider her decision one that should be made easily?
You like a candidate that is “coy”, and not forthright, one that “plays the game” or one that ignores the political game…you see that is what she has been touting, that she is not an “insider” but she is playing insider politics.
Pal, no one has been a bigger supporter than me, because I thought she was different, not a political animal, but now she is being the same…I want a leader, not a “gamer”, this should be an easy decision for her…she has had a year to decide.
It shouldn’t matter who else is running, if she think she is best, than she should get in.
You want a “gamer”, I want a leader…which is why I don’t like Newt or Mitt…
right2bright on June 14, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Hey, good debate technique…see every time someone re-enforces their argument, you just post the same retort..kind of like a broken record, skip, skip, skip…now try actually supporting her gamesmanship
right2bright on June 14, 2011 at 10:52 AM

That’s what I thought…but what she is doing is just plain politicking, and that is what you may want, but it isn’t what I want from a leader…right2bright on June 14, 2011 at 10:54 AM

fossten on June 14, 2011 at 11:42 AM

How is Bachmann establishment?

I love her.

blatantblue on June 14, 2011 at 8:53 AM

She’s not. Some people think she’s a stalking horse for Romney, only meant to pull votes from Palin.

Hiring the ultra-establishment Ed Rollins reinforces that impression. And when Rollins, a supposed political pro, makes comments about Palin to the news media that help her supposed opponent, Romney, while not really hurting Palin, but seriously diminishing Bachmann — you know, the candidate he’s supposed to be helping — it really makes her look like a stalking horse.

tom on June 14, 2011 at 11:45 AM

You need to brush up on your Teddy Roosevelt.

rwenger43 on June 14, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Sorry, I think the actual title is “The Man in the Arena.”

rwenger43 on June 14, 2011 at 11:48 AM

rwenger43 on June 14, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Rock Star Palin undertook a series of jobs that she knew was hugely stressful on her family. She then doubled down, tripled downed, and then finally called it quits because it was too stressful for her family.

Hello Rock Star Palin?! You wanted the kitchen and now complain about the heat?

hahaha!!!!!

And now your fans want you to become POTUS?!

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

csdeven on June 14, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Dana Milbank
Opinion Writer
“Michele Bachmann steals the show at GOP debate”

If you don’t think that the MSN isn’t pushing Bachmnann, you just don’t get it…..

idesign on June 14, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Sorry, I think the actual title is “The Man in the Arena.”

rwenger43 on June 14, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Everyone makes honest mistakes. I wont hold it against you.

csdeven on June 14, 2011 at 11:53 AM

But hey, at least she’s willing to run and not dink around and play coy like Palin is.

Message to Palin, run or don’t run but stop jacking around.

PappyD61 on June 14, 2011 at 9:02 AM

I’d say the embarrassment last night confirms Palin doesn’t really need to jump in the race yet.

BUT

She needs to do it soon. Probably within the next 30 days.

Of course, she probably realizes this already. She’s very politically astute.

tom on June 14, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Hello Rock Star Palin?! You wanted the kitchen and now complain about the heat?

hahaha!!!!!

And now your fans want you to become POTUS?!

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

csdeven on June 14, 2011 at 11:52 AM

You’re literally insane.

I beginning to think you need to be banned just for the sake of your own mental health … not to mention because of the growing incoherency of your comments.

darwin on June 14, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Dana Milbank
Opinion Writer
“Michele Bachmann steals the show at GOP debate”

idesign on June 14, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Impossible…

the_nile on June 14, 2011 at 11:59 AM

With Rollins showing her the way, I don’t see that happening.

littleguy on June 14, 2011 at 10:54 AM

I am not a big fan of Rollins as a person, but as a strategist, he knows how get his candidates to connect with people on a powerful and personal level. Reagan, Perot and Huckabee should be enough of an example. He certainly chooses candidates with already strong communication skills, but he crafts a message that complements their personalities well. He is a force to be reckoned with as long as he keeps his own mouth shut.

Daemonocracy on June 14, 2011 at 12:07 PM

darwin on June 14, 2011 at 11:56 AM

LoL. great response.

Daemonocracy on June 14, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Bachmann Turner Overdrive is awesome. I love her.

carbon_footprint on June 14, 2011 at 12:11 PM

csdeven on June 14, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Dude, seriously. Get the, much needed, help.

carbon_footprint on June 14, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Hello Rock Star Palin?! You wanted the kitchen and now complain about the heat?

hahaha!!!!!

And now your fans want you to become POTUS?!

csdeven on June 14, 2011 at 11:52 AM

See, I don’t hear her complaining about the heat. Unless you’re back on that quitting meme, which means you’re too busy spouting your opinion to read, learn and be inspired by a great man like TR.

Complaining about biased coverage in the media? Occasionally, sure–not the fact that it happens, but the degree to which it happens, and that it is done totally shamelessly and unconscionably.

Do you find that untrue? And do you think it is even possible to have honest debate about the future of our country if no one occasionally illustrates the absurd hypocrisy of the news disseminators?

Again, I have great respect for doers–even failers–over critics. You might as well stay in your basement for all the good you’ll ever do our country. Sarah, MB, Cain, T-Paw, even Mitt are trying to be a solution–in the arena. The critic doesn’t count.

rwenger43 on June 14, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Message to Palin, run or don’t run but stop jacking around.

PappyD61 on June 14, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Let her play coy, it’s actually not hurting the GOP at all as some say. Let the National Media chase after her bus and dive into her emails, if they weren’t obsessing over her then they would be slandering the current candidates we have right now.

The local media in the early and primary/caucus states are focusing on the candidates currently in the race. Let the current candidates work on their messaging and fundraising while the hostile National Media falls for Palin’s head fake. I see no problem with this at all.

Today New Hampshire papers will be talking about the debate and what was said while the MSM will be busy with Palin emails, Weiner and crummy job numbers.

Daemonocracy on June 14, 2011 at 12:15 PM

darwin on June 14, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Tell me, how is 3 group?

csdeven on June 14, 2011 at 12:16 PM

rwenger43 on June 14, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Bachmann is a nice woman, and a strong woman. She was known as a bomb thrower before this debate so I’m surprised to see you claim she is too “nice” or “feminine” here. She has been involved in plenty of heated verbal spats on the house floor and in TV/radio interviews, she is not a timid mouse by any means and it is usually nest not to be seen as too hot when first introducing yourself to GOP primary voters.

Daemonocracy on June 14, 2011 at 12:21 PM

rwenger43 on June 14, 2011 at 12:13 PM

I see her resignation as a complaint. After 20 years, she certainly knew the pressure it could put on her family, yet she went forward anyway. That is her responsibility and blaming others for her decision is not responsible.

People are free to justify her resignation and continue to support her for her next elected office. I will not unless she is the GOP nominee. I do not see how she can expect the country to support her for an even tougher elected office when she bailed on the last one she had. She must realize that being POTUS is tougher than being governor of a very small state. Therefore the risks and pressure on her family is even higher even if they are not the exact same.

csdeven on June 14, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Bachmann winning the nomination guarantees Obama 4 more years. If I were a democrat, I’d be organizing all my fellow democrats to switch party affiliations and vote for Bachmann in the primaries.

CoffeeMan on June 14, 2011 at 12:23 PM

As a “debate” this obviously sucked, but as a group news conference, an MSM introduction to the GOP, I think t has some promise to inform. When I say “inform” I’m not referring to the voters, but the media itself. Most of the lefty press takes their cues from the leading pundits, the Journolistes in DC and New York, so letting them all have a chance to see these people answer questions for a lengthy period of time might be a great thing. Our candidates might be treated less as caricatures and more as legitimate candidates (or, at least as human!) as a result.

MTF on June 14, 2011 at 12:25 PM

He completed more terms than Palin did. So, yeah, he beats her on completed terms alone.

csdeven on June 14, 2011 at 9:33 AM

1) Those who quit and later ran for another office only to lose are a dime a dozen, just as many have never quit and still lost higher office. So flip it around and name 3 people that quit only to later run for higher office and won – no matter completed terms. Even if only one example exists, it renders your argument moot that no one will vote for a quitter.

2) Name anyone that effectively quit midway thru their 1st term and won before their term ended.

3) How about anyone impeached/disgrace from office turning around and winning higher office.

If all three are in the affirmative, then insisting that SP can’t possibly win because of quitting is projection on your part and not an objective sense of how the public might view her, when they understand why she quit.

AH_C on June 14, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Has the media conducted their dumpster dives and FOIA trolling and paperwork colonoscopies of Bachmann? No? Hmmm. I wonder why.

rrpjr on June 14, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Patiently waiting for Sarah to jump in and announce, but what’s the hurry? She’ll do it when the time is right. If she doesn’t, she’ll throw her weight behind Bachmann and sew up a fall-back cabinet position. The Dept. Of Energy looks tailor made for her talents.

Jack Deth on June 14, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Whose side do you think stephanopoulis is on? I want to hear what the candidates policies are and what they are going to do if elected, I don’t want to hear the candidates aid the left in destroying each other for the next year so whomever lasts it out is damaged goods with lots of negative quotes from fellow republicans for barry to use against them.

peacenprosperity on June 14, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Exactly. MSM is laying traps now to catch sound bites for later use. Last night’s ‘debate’ was hoped to bring out the daggers and splash blood on the stage. Fortunately, the GOP declined the bait.

petefrt on June 14, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Daemonocracy on June 14, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Yep, the left tagged her a ‘bomb thrower” because she wouldn’t hesitate to stand toe-to-toe with the toughest of them as needed. (That’s one treason why she’s near the top of the left’s hit list.) My bet is she showed her softer side last night to defend against the bomb-thrower meme.

No shrinking violet is she.

petefrt on June 14, 2011 at 12:59 PM

gh on June 14, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Same here, I’d vote for Palin and/or Bachmann in a NY minute.

What I hope not to see is a damaging fight between them, or either of them and Rick Perry. That, of course, is what left will be trying to promote.

petefrt on June 14, 2011 at 1:06 PM

The Bachmann meme that she can’t win starts in 5…. 4….. 3…. 2…. 1….

itsspideyman on June 14, 2011 at 1:12 PM

I must have been watching some other Republican debate.

Michelle Bachman came off as among the weakest and most ill-at-ease of the candidates. To be clear, I want to and do like her and wznt to support her for president or VP, but I did not see the stellar performance others are raving about.

My assessment: Mitt, Pawlenty then Cain. The best ticket for the nation would be either Pawlenty/Bachman or Pawlenty/Cain. Either would beat Obama/What’s-is-name and policy-wise would be what we need.

Oh, and I vote for Paul as class clown. He really should wear a jester’s hat to these things.

I would hold my nose and vote for Romney, IFF, he disavows his insipid AGW love.

I operate with the understanding that the president has far more power to hurt the economy than help it. We’ve seen this demonstrated by Obama.

If we expect a Republican president to ‘create’ (or save) jobs and fix the economy, we’re certifiably insane.

We need a president who will look us in the eye as a nation and say that he will get government out of our way so we can return America to prosperity and growth – then he should go do exactly that with a vengeance in terms of removing or rendering moot anti-prosperity/growth spending and taxes, regulations and policy. And he/she should do so with no pretense that he/she is creating/saving jobs or the like.

Rebuilding this nation and restoring the opportunity for all to prosper is our responsibility as free American citizens. The President needs to get and then keep the government the hell out of the way.

DrDeano on June 14, 2011 at 1:48 PM

hanzblinx on June 14, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Oh no! Are you saying Palin is politically dead in a state that has gone for the Democrat in 4 out of the last 5 presidential elections?! NH is guaranteed to pick the biggest RINO in the primaries. And if you think Romney is going to win SC I want some of whatever you’re freebasing.

Kataklysmic on June 14, 2011 at 2:04 PM

@ csdeven

AH_C on June 14, 2011 at 12:27 PM

run away, run away.

AH_C on June 14, 2011 at 2:11 PM

idesign

I thought they were pushing Romney….no, wait…Pawlenty…wait wait…I mean Paul. Oops, I mean Huntsman.

Hello Rock Star Palin?! You wanted the kitchen and now complain about the heat?

hahaha!!!!!

csdeven

More like wanting the kitchen, but complaining about all the asbestos they threw in that you didn’t sign on for. I don’t recall bankruptcy and financial ruin due to bogus lawsuits listed among the job requirements when she decided to run for governor. She can’t win, but there’s no reason to be dishonest and stupid about it.

xblade on June 14, 2011 at 2:12 PM

CoffeeMan on June 14, 2011 at 12:23 PM

“‘IF’ I were?!?”

Then run, man, RUN and tell all your Dem friends to vote for Michele Bachmann!!

Thanks for your concern, troll.

Califemme on June 14, 2011 at 2:29 PM

What if you had? What would you do?

either orr on June 14, 2011 at 10:55 AM

I would not take that job.

1) Get involved in politics (city council)
2) Take another political job. (1st term Mayor)
3) Continue to stay involved in politics. (2nd term Mayor)
4) Take another political job. (Oil and Gas commission)
5) Joined with dems against reps (Renkes)
6) Continued in politics (Ted Stevens Excellence in Public Service, Inc)

In all those positions, she experienced the under belly of politics.

csdeven on June 14, 2011 at 11:14 AM

fossten on June 14, 2011 at 11:30 AM

At this point Louis is just rationalizing his dismissal of Palin.

By Louis’s own admission, Palin climbed the ladder to the top of Alaskan politics. The only reason she didn’t serve out her full term was that the anklebiters found a way to wage a war against her that cost them nothing but would cost her (and her staff) dearly so long as she remained where she was. Her office had in effect become a foxhole that was indefensible. Since she personally was the target, she removed herself from the foxhole. But Louis takes this as evidence that Palin is a flake.

Seek help, Louis.

Aitch748 on June 14, 2011 at 2:33 PM

xblade on June 14, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Attacks by political opponents is part of the heat one should expect when in the kitchen. Considering Rock Star Palin knew Alaska had a very corrupt system, she should have been prepared for the attacks.

csdeven on June 14, 2011 at 3:12 PM

csdeven on June 14, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Palin dealt with Alaskan corruption. The problem isn’t Palin, or the democrats that attacked her. It was the law (or lack of) that left the executive unprotected to limitless harrassment, lawsuits and complaints. No other state in the union leaves their executive unprotected like this. This discrepancy had never shown itself prior, and is now corrected.

darwin on June 14, 2011 at 3:21 PM

That’s not to say she deserves no criticism. At times, she pandered. She announced her presidential announcement — and not even in her introductory remarks, but after the first question. She touted the introduction of bills as definitive accomplishments. (She’s right to mention her repeal bills — just not to make them sound filed and finished). She turned a tender and precious personal accomplishment into somewhat of a talking point.

She is a good politician, she really is. She rarely stumbles…my biggest problem with Bachmann is not at all personal. I like her personally…I just think that in terms of some foreign policy issues, she is naive maybe…and even in terms of some issues like TARP. I don’t think we should lump TARP in with the stimulus and stuff like that. Like it or not, TARP worked and if a candidate thinks that we should not support it…then he or she needs to come up with an alternative that does not include economic collapse. People would not like that anymore than they like what they are looking at now. But Bachmann was not alone in that area, none of them really got that specific with alternatives because the format did not permit it.

But she was good all in all. Not my first choice, but I like her very much.

Terrye on June 14, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Bachmann/Rand Paul

Yea I like it.

Nelsen on June 14, 2011 at 3:29 PM

The problem isn’t Palin, or the democrats that attacked her.

darwin on June 14, 2011 at 3:21 PM

No elected office has 100% guarantees from attacks that can affect the politicians family. The quarter from which the attack comes from has no bearing on the fact that the politician’s priorities will inform their decision as to how to deal with it. Rock Star Palin reached the point where her commitment to her family outweighed her commitment to the state. She will do the same again when her need to protect her family outweighs her commitment to the voters.

She had her chance. If a situation arises where her commitment to her family outweighs her commitment to me the voter, she will choose her family. That is the kind of family I want, but it isn’t what I want from a politician.

csdeven on June 14, 2011 at 3:41 PM

csdeven on June 14, 2011 at 3:41 PM

So what you want in a politician is one who is childless, parentless, spouseless. One with no family to consider under any circumstances, even baseless ethics lawsuits which they, personally, have to fund. Yeah, let me know how that works out for ya, ya doofus.

odat on June 14, 2011 at 3:50 PM

csdeven on June 14, 2011 at 3:41 PM

The hell with character! I want BLIND AMBITION!!!!!!!

fossten on June 14, 2011 at 3:51 PM

csdeven on June 14, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Come back when you learn to read and comprehend. Hopefully … never.

darwin on June 14, 2011 at 3:53 PM

fossten on June 14, 2011 at 3:51 PM

The guy’s a blithering idiot.

darwin on June 14, 2011 at 3:53 PM

fossten on June 14, 2011 at 3:51 PM
The guy’s a blithering idiot.

darwin on June 14, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Uh huh

odat on June 14, 2011 at 3:54 PM

I’ve never been able to follow the pretzel logic csdoofus uses

odat on June 14, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Rush said it best. Any of those people on stage are 10 times better than what we have now.

John the Libertarian on June 14, 2011 at 4:17 PM

fossten on June 14, 2011 at 11:42 AM

And you point is? That I repeat the same thing to different posters because they challenge me at different times?
That’s a problem for you?

Brian1972 on June 14, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Obviously you miss the point…she is voting “present”, she nailed Obama to the wall for waffling and not making a decision…she is doing the same thing…sigh, this is why I have to post the same thing many times, you don’t read.
Now here is the challenge…if she attacked Obama for not making a decision…what is her excuse? Because of “tactics”? Well then Obama could have said he didn’t make a decision because of “tactics”…get it now?
No one has been more supportive of Palin than I, upinak was one of the first, I was weeks behind and have never wavered…but I am not a “sheep”, and I can make up my own mind and change my mind when someone (and everyone knows power can change a person) begins to show signs of weakness.
That is why I like Cain right now, I don’t care for “insider” politics, I don’t want a professional politician looking for an “election angle”, I am interested in someone who can come right out and make a decision, maybe it is not the “best” one, but I accept errors, as long as they are honest and forthright, and not couched in a stigma of political maneuvering. Those days should be gone, gone forever, I don’t want a political savant, I want a leader of a country that makes decisions, and moves us forward.

right2bright on June 14, 2011 at 4:23 PM

I like Michele Bachmann a whole lot, but man I hope she can cut down on the gaffes. She says a lot of really goofy things that have an unfortunate tendency to overshadow the excellent points she discusses. I’d vote for her in a heartbeat in a primary if she can get through these early stages without sticking her foot in her mouth.

radar g on June 14, 2011 at 4:38 PM

right2bright on June 14, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Keep gnawing on that bone flogging that chicken, son.

fossten on June 14, 2011 at 4:44 PM

fossten on June 14, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Well, obviously you just “go along”, you are easily led…if she doesn’t wake up, and become a leader instead of a political hack, than her days are numbered…the 7 last night showed us what it means to come out and fight…but you can just go along and follow, and never challenge, that’s what sheep do…son.
No problem, you want a person who can politically maneuver, I want a leader…you have different standards. That really shouldn’t bother you that much.

right2bright on June 14, 2011 at 5:24 PM

you have different standards.

right2bright on June 14, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Why the fever? Did they move election day to tomorrow or something?

littleguy on June 14, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Cue the broken record, skip skip skip…

fossten on June 14, 2011 at 9:38 AM

“Quitting” is cdseven’s “red truck”. When Fred T. ran, that is all cdseven posted about…he gets obsessed on one issue and can’t focus on anything else.
“Quitting” is the same as “red truck”…just a different election…obsession is what it actually is….weird, but at least consistent.

right2bright on June 14, 2011 at 9:43 AM

It was just as annoying back then, too.

So, if finding it annoying now is proof we worship Palin, does that mean that finding it annoying back then was proof we worshipped Fred!?

Who knew?

tom on June 14, 2011 at 6:49 PM

You’re starting to repeat your talking points over and over, just like csdeven.

Proof by assertion does not lend your argument credibility. You have no evidence that she ‘cannot’ make a decision. You also have no evidence that she is ‘playing games.’ This is your opinion. The more you repeat it without substantive facts behind it, the more you sound like csdeven.

fossten on June 14, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Now that’s just being nasty!

Seriously, I’d agree that Palin needs to jump in at some point to be taken seriously. In fact, I may be channeling Captain Obvious when I say that.

I don’t agree that NOW IS THE TIME!! I would say within the next 30 days would be fine, and waiting more than 60 days would be too late IMO.

tom on June 14, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Well, Michele Bachmann seems to give Chris Matthews a thrill…

What’s that tell you about how great she’s did? The Left and some on Right just want to use her as a foil to Sarah Palin. I hope she realizes that’s her role in this drama.

Sharr on June 14, 2011 at 8:26 PM

odat on June 14, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Welcome to group 3!

csdeven on June 14, 2011 at 10:10 PM

It’s all a moot point…Rick Perry enters race, Barracuda Sarah eventually endorses him.

Race over!

starman on June 15, 2011 at 2:17 AM

It’s hard to respond to run-on sentences, but I’ll try.

I’m certain that Palin will announce at the right time. I do not believe she can wait too much longer, but to attack her and call her a ‘gamer’ just because she doesn’t suit your timetable today reveals more about your impatience than it does about her thought process. You’re simply projecting your impatience onto her and demanding that she satisfy your whims.

right2bright on June 14, 2011 at 5:24 PM

You have absolutely NO IDEA what I want. Frankly, your attempt to make this personal is trollish on your part. Your ad nauseum repetition of the same buzzwords a la csdeven completes your transformation to full fledged troll.

Be careful with that phony straw man, son…you’ll choke on it.

fossten on June 15, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Romney and Bachmann for Pres/VP!!

enerwaste on June 15, 2011 at 12:03 PM