Quotes of the day

posted at 10:40 pm on June 14, 2011 by Allahpundit

“‘It’s pretty interesting,’ Perry said when asked about all the national political stories being written about him. ‘People would like to have some other options in the race, obviously.’…

“‘I have a lot of out-of-state travel that some might analyze that ‘Oh he’s got a game plan and they’re implementing it.’ That’s not correct. There’s not a game plan,’ Perry said. ‘I’m giving it some thought. There are a lot of people calling and saying, ‘Hey, we would like you to consider getting into the race.”…

“Perry did give a tiny preview of what he’ll say tonight in New York, and it will come as no shock to Texans who have followed his stump speeches over the last 18 months. He will say that Texas is leading the way economically, citing figures from Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas President Richard Fisher, who said 38 percent of the jobs created since mid-2009 were in Texas. Perry will say that the figures are actually higher.

“‘They’re going to hear the success story of Texas and how that model can be replicated in their state,’ Perry said.”

***
“Now what about Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R)? You can’t say there isn’t room in the race for him. But frankly, he’s going to have to fight for conservative votes with Bachmann, who seems more than capable of holding her own. Perry’s had a great record in Texas, while Bachmann has carried the Tea Party banner in the House. He’s got expertise on energy; she’s been through the federal budget wars. You can easily see them splitting the votes of party activists.

“So let’s say Bachmann and Perry divide up the hard-core conservatives. Does that still leave Romney in the driver’s seat, with Pawlenty not able to pull in the support and money that had been waiting on the sidelines? Perry deprives Pawlenty of supporters and cash; Bachmann siphons off voters from Perry.

“Romney, it’s fair to say, will have trouble winning against a single, unifying not-Romney candidate but with three contenders (Pawlenty, Bachmann, Perry), does he put together wins in some early states and cruise from there? It could be.”

***

“Both men are considering running for president this cycle. But they have ties going back years – Perry strongly supported Giuliani in his 2008 run for president.”

***
“Honestly, this governor from Texas looking to be president … seems a lot like the last governor from Texas looking to be president, in all the wrong ways.”

***
Via Mediaite.

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Truly inspiring!

katy the mean old lady on June 15, 2011 at 2:25 AM

I’ve seen the film with Diana Rigg…and the Lord is leading me to become a sister if I become a fairly young widow. *shrugs*

annoyinglittletwerp on June 15, 2011 at 3:03 AM

Wow! Never heard of a movie. Nothing will pass reading it though. The protagonist was a n accompished woman in her late ’40s. I would send it to you but I gave it to a friend. It is about 2 bucks on amazon.

katy the mean old lady on June 15, 2011 at 3:19 AM

katy the mean old lady on June 15, 2011 at 3:19 AM

I just Googled it.
Yep-the film was based on the book. It was made for TV and came out in 1975.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 15, 2011 at 3:35 AM

“This should be a fun meeting – Texas Gov. Rick Perry and former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani are set to have a private get-together Wednesday morning, sources tell us…”Both men are considering running for president this cycle. But they have ties going back years – Perry strongly supported Giuliani in his 2008 run for president.”

My dream ticket!

YehuditTX on June 15, 2011 at 4:07 AM

Jump on in Rick, the water’s fine! I can’t guarantee you my vote, but I do promise to hear you out before I decide. And what I know about you so far sounds good to me.

MJBrutus on June 15, 2011 at 4:36 AM

Perry strongly supported Giuliani in his 2008 run for president.”

And with that goes the truth about his pro-life lie. 300 million folks in America-one need not support a pro-death candidate – their is but one great and immutable requirement before freedom can occur -life! All other considerations are hypocritical.

Don L on June 15, 2011 at 5:59 AM

Video: Reagan Schools Obama in “I Want Your Money”
June 15 2011
*************

canopfor on June 15, 2011 at 6:20 AM

If theres a Linky snafu,scroll down till
you hit,Video: Reagan Schools Obama in “I Want Your Money”
===========================

canopfor on June 15, 2011 at 6:22 AM

Don L on June 15, 2011 at 5:59 AM

Pat Robertson endorsed Guiliani in ’08, too.

One has to remember that in ’08, Guiliani promised he wouldn’t appoint judges to SCOTUS who were activists on the bench. Guiliani got some support from the pro-life community for that promise (I, however, supported Fred!).

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on June 15, 2011 at 6:26 AM

when’s the mext debate, i want to see perry and huntsman in this mix….

cmsinaz on June 15, 2011 at 7:20 AM

mext=next….gotta get some coffee

cmsinaz on June 15, 2011 at 7:28 AM

Let him run……the more the merrier.

As long as a FEARLESS real Conservative wins I don’t care if it wears a skirt or boots. Defeat ObamaCare and BHO……stop the runaway Federal spending and I’m fur um.

PappyD61 on June 15, 2011 at 7:39 AM

I’m going to post this link again because it is a ten-minute Mark Levin sermon well worth listening to.

It doesn’t matter how many people are running or how many debates, if they are replays of the CNN debate. You’d never know, for example, that two people on that stage are global warming alarmists, that some had never been, and that one or maybe more were but aren’t anymore.

Marcus on June 15, 2011 at 7:44 AM

morning joe pumping by bachmann big time this am….

cmsinaz on June 15, 2011 at 7:47 AM

morning joe pumping by bachmann big time this am….

cmsinaz on June 15, 2011 at 7:47 AM

Andrea Mitchell yet!
Joe just let the cat out of the bag: a pitiful attempt by MSNBC to prop up Bachmann at the expense of the wildly popular Sarah Palin, only to make mincemeat out of Bachmann when the time comes.

Marcus on June 15, 2011 at 7:49 AM

Rick Perry shouldn’t run because:
[ ] he’s divisive

[ ] needs to spend a couple of years at a think tank boning up on policy

[ ] has an annoying Texas drawl

[ ] does not appeal to moderates and Jaywalking voters

[ ] will suck the air out of the room and make it hard for the other candidates to be heard

james23 on June 15, 2011 at 7:52 AM

Ha, Scarborough has their master-plan down to Huntsman/Bachmann to re-elect Obama. Huntsman must out-RINO Romney.

Marcus on June 15, 2011 at 7:53 AM

Whoever MSNBC starts pushing as a “great Republican candidate”, stay away from. I like Bachmann, but she’s being used by the Left to keep Palin out of the race.

kingsjester on June 15, 2011 at 7:53 AM

Marcus on June 15, 2011 at 7:49 AM

tru dat

cmsinaz on June 15, 2011 at 7:54 AM

Marcus on June 15, 2011 at 7:53 AM

he is deep in the kool-aid

cmsinaz on June 15, 2011 at 7:55 AM

kingsjester on June 15, 2011 at 7:53 AM

yepper…

cmsinaz on June 15, 2011 at 7:56 AM

james23 on June 15, 2011 at 7:52 AM

Where are you from, Sugah? Sorry if 12 years as Governor and job growth and business growth that out-rivals the other 49 states put together is less of a deal maker than his “drawl”.

Do you know he’s had more lawyers fleeing this state than you can imagine and just pushed through another anti-frivolous lawsuit bill where if it’s determined to be frivolous, the party bringing it pays all costs?

I know, I know, – the accent.

Marcus on June 15, 2011 at 7:57 AM

great post KJ re: libya and the WPA….

cmsinaz on June 15, 2011 at 7:59 AM

MJBrutus on June 15, 2011 at 4:36 AM

Funny how you won’t extend the same courtesy to Palin. Must be a woman thing.

fossten on June 15, 2011 at 7:59 AM

Marcus on June 15, 2011 at 7:57 AM
think he was being sarcastic, use to get that with Palin on why she shouldn’t run.

djohn669 on June 15, 2011 at 8:00 AM

great post KJ re: libya and the WPA….

cmsinaz on June 15, 2011 at 7:59 AM

Thank you, ma’am. Boehner vs. Obama. Grab your popcorn.

kingsjester on June 15, 2011 at 8:02 AM

djohn669 on June 15, 2011 at 8:00 AM

You sure? It’s hard to tell anymore. And I just got through listening to Andrea Mitchell saying how great Michelle Bachmann is in her eyes.

Marcus on June 15, 2011 at 8:03 AM

Funny how you won’t extend the same courtesy to Palin. Must be a woman thing.

fossten on June 15, 2011 at 7:59 AM

Funny. Just 3 years ago, on another website, Brutus was giving Obama advice.

kingsjester on June 15, 2011 at 8:03 AM

Rick Perry was willing to destroy family farms held for generations by imminent domain for a highway to make travel easier for products being shipped from Mexico. This is not conservatism. This guy is as phony as Romney, maybe worse. MJBrutus likes him which tells you pretty much all you need to know.

wheelgun on June 15, 2011 at 8:05 AM

Morning Joe back on the Huntsman bandwagon. Sheesh. They want to ignore Perry so badly. Don’t even mention Palin.
I have to turn it off, Mika with her star gazing is making me insane. She thinks she’s the cleverest in the room. (“Hee hee, Obama is going to beat all these people we’re pushing. Hee hee!”)

Marcus on June 15, 2011 at 8:07 AM

kingsjester on June 15, 2011 at 8:02 AM

indeed

cmsinaz on June 15, 2011 at 8:08 AM

Marcus on June 15, 2011 at 8:07 AM

they are all huntsman aren’t they

cmsinaz on June 15, 2011 at 8:08 AM

wheelgun on June 15, 2011 at 8:05 AM

Rush and Levin like him. Don’t know who MJBrutus is. I like him, too, voted for him 2 times.

Marcus on June 15, 2011 at 8:10 AM

kingsjester on June 15, 2011 at 7:53 AM

Because of their gender? Shared base of support? I think Palin can stand on her own aside from either of these, certainly regardless of the MSM’s opinion.

What I would like to see is a little less diminishing of Bachmann for her solid performance Monday night, though. Just because a couple of lefty talking heads acknowledge the obvious, doesn’t mean Bachmann doesn’t deserve credit for a job well done.

Bee on June 15, 2011 at 8:10 AM

morning joe campaign manager for huntsman this am

cmsinaz on June 15, 2011 at 8:13 AM

Marcus on June 15, 2011 at 8:03 AM
until ed rollins thing she was my second choice, yea the msm all on que wonder way that is.

djohn669 on June 15, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Bee on June 15, 2011 at 8:10 AM

So, you don’t find it strange that MSNBC, all of the sudden, is pushing Michele Bachmann, who, if they were in the same studio on Election Night, would have probably walked out on Chrissy Matthews?

kingsjester on June 15, 2011 at 8:16 AM

oops why

djohn669 on June 15, 2011 at 8:16 AM

Actually, Levin has reservations about him because he supported the dream act, and as more comes out Rick will be destroyed by his own record.

wheelgun on June 15, 2011 at 8:17 AM

Have to admit that I haven’t been following along with this thread which is 5 pages along already, so if it’s been said already do forgive.

But it occurs to me that a Perry/Bachmann ticket might be rather formidable. I say Perry/Bachmann rather than the other way around for a couple of reasons.

1, Perry has the executive experience and an astronomical track record (http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play?p=texas%20succeeding&tnr=21&vid=966855623576&l=156&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts1.mm.bing.net%2Fvideos%2Fthumbnail.aspx%3Fq%3D966855623576%26id%3D9dff85b2eff4f5db4a4b52d50259c3a9%26bid%3DqZ%252bczyBsJtGsDg%26bn%3DThumb%26url%3Dhttp%253a%252f%252fblip.tv%252ffile%252f2568803&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fblip.tv%2Ffile%2F2568803&sigr=10rhqs59m&newfp=1&tit=Texas+Succeeding+-+GovernorPerry ) to make the case for economic governance.

And 2, that as head of the RGA he already has the fomidable infrasture needed to raise cash (let us not forget the flim-flam shanannigans BHO to raise funds from likes of John Galt, Donald Duck and various Palestinians in ’08. So regardless of his Miami performance will probably hit his $1B target) and has a turn-key polital opereation already on hand, with or without the newt defector’s.

And 3, though I hate to pander to identity politics, it allows for replicating JSM’s coup of putting a female in the executive branch which has the probability of bringing in some of the Palin fans as well as the PUMA’s who were seriously PO’d by HRC’s treatment by BHO and his LSM cheerleaders.

Finally 4, it put’s Bachmann in an optimal position to take over the reins in ’20 and thus acheive the 1st female Prez being put forth by the “woman hater” Republicans, which is long overdue.

Archimedes on June 15, 2011 at 8:17 AM

Rick Perry has grown the size of Government in Texas.

wheelgun on June 15, 2011 at 8:20 AM

Bee on June 15, 2011 at 8:10 AM
Oh just remember once the msm done with her, she going to get palinized, just get ready for it

djohn669 on June 15, 2011 at 8:21 AM

djohn669 on June 15, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Same. Her hiring of Rollins killed it for me.

james23 on June 15, 2011 at 8:28 AM

wheelgun on June 15, 2011 at 8:20 AM

Who are you supporting? I like Perry, Palin, Bachmann, Rubio, Ryan. I am adamantly opposed to Romney or Huntsman. If not Rick Perry, than who? And they have to be not make-believe.

Marcus on June 15, 2011 at 8:28 AM

Palin, Perry, Ryan in that order now.

djohn669 on June 15, 2011 at 8:38 AM

Dude! Did you see the chalk board? Perry is definitely running. I guess I am going to have to turn in my Palinista secret decoder ring.

So… What is the derogatory nick name for Perry fans?

bitsy on June 15, 2011 at 8:43 AM

So… What is the derogatory nick name for Perry fans?

bitsy on June 15, 2011 at 8:43 AM

I don’t know, but it’s pronounced with a Texas accent.

Marcus on June 15, 2011 at 8:46 AM

So… What is the derogatory nick name for Perry fans?

bitsy on June 15, 2011 at 8:43 AM

Idiots

wheelgun on June 15, 2011 at 8:56 AM

wheelgun on June 15, 2011 at 8:56 AM

Very clever. Who are you voting for? Let me guess… Ron Paul.

bitsy on June 15, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Rick Perry has grown the size of Government economy in Texas.

wheelgun on June 15, 2011 at 8:20 AM

FIFY

fossten on June 15, 2011 at 9:05 AM

Alan, the stick man, Colmes pronounced him unelectible last night on BOR cuz Perry’s a gov from TX. He didn’t say just like Booosh, but you know he wanted to. Also mentioned JEB! as not running cuz he is a Booosh. Nice how they want to pick ‘em for us. Monica said we could run Lassie and beat the Won. Best line of the whole show.

Kissmygrits on June 15, 2011 at 9:08 AM

The only true conservative in the potential field. Unlike the rest, actually voted for Regan and not Carter or Mondale.

wheelgun on June 15, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Rick Perry has grown the size of Government economy in Texas.

wheelgun on June 15, 2011 at 8:20 AM
FIFY

fossten on June 15, 2011 at 9:05 AM

fool

wheelgun on June 15, 2011 at 9:11 AM

I like Rep Bachmann, when was the last time we elected anyone from the House of Representatives to the Presidency? We haven’t. America is a countries of first.

The scenario I see playing out is, the conservative candidates blocking Romney just like they did in 2008. Who is surprised that MSNBC/CNN is pushing Bachmann? They can’t get Sarah Palin to appear on their networks.

It is still early, everyone who is going to jump in haven’t yet. That changes all the dynamics. Look for late comers to make “entrances” they understand the lack of excitement with the current field of hopefuls.

Dr Evil on June 15, 2011 at 9:22 AM

wheelgun on June 15, 2011 at 8:56 AM

Very clever. Who are you voting for? Let me guess… Ron Paul.

bitsy on June 15, 2011 at 9:04 AM

You guessed right.

Marcus on June 15, 2011 at 9:26 AM

Highways are what eminent domain is for, and trade is a good thing.

Count to 10 on June 15, 2011 at 9:28 AM

There are similarities between Perry and Palin. They both will attack their opponents, they will feed the base red meat – media spin be damnned. You can’t energize the base if you are not willing to interact with the base. The primary season is all about appealing to the base. This is why I have been so disappointed with Mitt Romney, and his position on Romneycare, AGW and Ethanol subsidies….his positions are so freakin unappealing to the conservative base. Why he wants to go on the record supporting all those unpopular positions is mind boggling. He’s counting on his opponents taking each other out and he’s the only one left standing…..good luck with that strategy Mitt.

Dr Evil on June 15, 2011 at 9:29 AM

I don’t know, but it’s pronounced with a Texas accent.

Marcus on June 15, 2011 at 8:46 AM

In our home it’s pronounce with a Chicago accent.
Lubbock’s economy is just BOOMING!

annoyinglittletwerp on June 15, 2011 at 9:31 AM

O/T This is one of the best analysis of the results of Palin’s email dump. HURT: Watch out for Mama Grizzly Palin’s bite

Dr Evil on June 15, 2011 at 9:57 AM

There is your quote of the Day.

You don’t exactly have to be Grizzly Adams to know that if you go out to shoot an Alaskan bear, there is one rule that rises above all others. Whatever you do, just don’t wound the bear.

Kill it, miss it, don’t shoot, run and hide, whatever. But if you hit it, you better kill it. Because the last thing you want coming after you is an angry wounded Alaskan bear with nothing to lose.

Dr Evil on June 15, 2011 at 10:00 AM

fool

wheelgun on June 15, 2011 at 9:11 AM

GREAT RESPONSE!

I especially liked the way you used an introduction, and stated the purpose of your post. Then, you developed your topic while using examples and refuting counterarguments. Finally, you summed it up with a solid conclusion.

fossten on June 15, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Palin will jump on board Perry’s campaign and there will be no conservative split. The split of conservatives is a liberals dream along with the Romney campaign.

Bachmann is very much the lightweight in experience compared to Perry and anyone who says otherwise is not thinking. She has only been in the House since 2006 and has supported earmarks and pork for MN. She took full advantage of the Tea Party by establishing that caucus but if she thinks she will sew up all the Tea Party with Perry in the race — think again. Perry spoke at the first Tea Party in Texas and got rave reviews.

If we have to have a woman on the ticket, why not Marsha Blackburn of TN? She is smart, intelligent, and makes sure she fills her duties for her committee assignments by understanding the issues before the committees.

Frankly I don’t see why we don’t look for the most qualified candidate be it a woman, minority, or horror of horros — a white male.

PhiKapMom on June 15, 2011 at 10:58 AM

GREAT RESPONSE!

fossten on June 15, 2011 at 10:22 AM

I must say: Great response!
*really*

annoyinglittletwerp on June 15, 2011 at 12:54 PM

The problem with Perry is that just below the surface of doing enough “conservative” stuff to get votes from the social conservatives by pandering to them on a regular basis, and has, as some national website stated: quote, “plays the social conservatives like a fine tuned instrument….” end quote.

He is dangerous to the Republican form of government precisely because he has no qualms to deceive, subvert and just plain act like a dictator whenever he can get away with it, and so my fear is that people would relax too much – if he were elected – after the hard times post-Obama, and thus Perry would actually further accelerate the destruction of our country – think Bush in terms of a wolf-in-sheep’s-clothing, but only worse.

There was a very strong anti-Perry sentiment at last years GOP state convention which explains why in a recent poll he only got 4% of the vote even from Texans…,

He would never carry his own state, and so much more so, because he swore up and down that he would stay in Texas, so by breaking that promise – if he actually runs – he would most certainly lose the primary here.

His rallies here, always flatline unless Sarah Palin joins him, which means that Sarah Palin could win the primary in Texas before Perry ever would…

[That was just for you, Gohawgs.... :-)...]