Catholic University of America returns to single-sex dorms

posted at 5:25 pm on June 14, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Here’s a happy little piece of news: At a time when several large universities — including George Washington University here in DC — have begun to embrace not just coed, but gender-neutral housing, the Catholic University of America this year initiates a plan to convert its coed dorms into single-sex residences once again. This fall, entering CUA freshmen will be assigned to residence halls in which they won’t have to worry quite so much about meeting a member of the opposite sex in the hallway walking back from the bathroom. The following year, the change will extend to both freshman and sophomore dorms.

Why is this happy? Writing yesterday in The Wall Street Journal, CUA president John Garvey explains his decision, and it’s hard to ignore the factual basis and wisdom of his reasoning:

Alcohol-related accidents are the leading cause of death for young adults aged 17-24. Students who engage in binge drinking (about two in five) are 25 times more likely to do things like miss class, fall behind in school work, engage in unplanned sexual activity, and get in trouble with the law. They also cause trouble for other students, who are subjected to physical and sexual assault, suffer property damage and interrupted sleep, and end up babysitting problem drinkers.

Hooking up is getting to be as common as drinking. Sociologist W. Bradford Wilcox, who heads the National Marriage Project at the University of Virginia, says that in various studies, 40%-64% of college students report doing it. The effects are not all fun. Rates of depression reach 20% for young women who have had two or more sexual partners in the last year, almost double the rate for women who have had none. Sexually active young men do more poorly than abstainers in their academic work. And as we have always admonished our own children, sex on these terms is destructive of love and marriage. …

Christopher Kaczor at Loyola Marymount points to a surprising number of studies showing that students in co-ed dorms (41.5%) report weekly binge drinking more than twice as often as students in single-sex housing (17.6%). Similarly, students in co-ed housing are more likely (55.7%) than students in single-sex dorms (36.8%) to have had a sexual partner in the last year—and more than twice as likely to have had three or more.

By this reckoning, Garvey’s decision means CUA students will eventually be more likely to go to class, keep up with — and even excel at — schoolwork, avoid unplanned sexual activity and stay out of trouble with the law than they once were. They’ll be less likely to face alcohol-related accidents and they’ll be less likely to be depressed. Those sound like joyful results to me.

Best of all, the decision only increases the choices available to college-bound kids, offering one more option to students who might like to attend a university with gender-specific housing. Students who want the coed experience have plenty of options to choose from: More than 90 percent of college housing is coed.

My guess is, CUA administrators might be surprised at just how appealing this countercultural decision will be. Discipline and restraint might not sound as immediately glamorous to high school seniors as “the high life” of binge drinking and sex, but, when students recognize that what they want most is a sustainable happiness, they might take a second look at the statistics Garvey cites and submit to a little delayed gratification for the sake of greater satisfaction down the road.

Comments

Yeah, but will they let AP’s kitteh’s spend the night?

MeatHeadinCA on June 14, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Good. You’re there to learn, numbnuts. Not play grab-ass in the dorms on your parents’ dime.

CurtZHP on June 14, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Good.

People who are serious about their education can go to a serious school. Kids who just want to party and skate into a useless degree can find plenty of schools that allow that.

Rebar on June 14, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Beta-male liberal arts majors hardest hit.

Cicero43 on June 14, 2011 at 5:31 PM

WHAT THE FROG was a ‘Catholic’ university doing with co-ed dorms to begin with?
Then again…another ‘Catholic’ university had an infanticide-supporting TOTUS as its commencement speaker in 2009 so…
*FYI: I’m Catholic*

annoyinglittletwerp on June 14, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Yeah, but will they let AP’s kitteh’s spend the night?

MeatHeadinCA on June 14, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Dude, you owe me a new keyboard.
LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on June 14, 2011 at 5:33 PM

So, they’ll go back to “hooking up” in cars rather than in the dorms.

irishspy on June 14, 2011 at 5:34 PM

I did prefer living in single-sex dorms when I was in college. When I was a junior, the dorm I was in (which was the only single-occupancy dorm) turned into single-occupancy coed. Fortunately, I was still in on the “male bathroom” side of the wing.

Jeddite on June 14, 2011 at 5:34 PM

I’m against excessive romancing on school grounds, but if they think such a move will suddenly stop sexual tomfoolery, they’re badly mistaken.

Single-sex dorms are good to prepare students for single life after they graduate…although that goes against the Catholic Lifescript®.

Uncle Sams Nephew on June 14, 2011 at 5:34 PM

As talk show host Jim Quinn often observes:
To the left/liberal mind , 5000 years of human history means nothing now that they’re here.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on June 14, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Soon to be sued by some confused, high heel wearing guy who claims he is really a woman and should be allowed to live in the female dorm.

Bishop on June 14, 2011 at 5:35 PM

CurtZHP on June 14, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Successful kids play grab ass and get a high GPA!

:P

blatantblue on June 14, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Bishop stop talking about me. I’m not suing anyone. Yet.

blatantblue on June 14, 2011 at 5:36 PM

The question is: Will anyone notice?

DaydreamBeliever on June 14, 2011 at 5:36 PM

This is the right thing to do. I commuted to college and was still girl crazy, I never would have saw my dorm if I lived with girls in the same building and on the same floor.

Daemonocracy on June 14, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Uncle Sams Nephew on June 14, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Stop, no. Reduce, yes. It’s much harder to drunkenly stumble from your third-floor bedroom on the north wing of the dormitory to the girls’ floors on the south wing.

Jeddite on June 14, 2011 at 5:39 PM

My college was single sex dorms.

I loved it. It made it more fun trying to sneak around and into the dorms.

portlandon on June 14, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Interesting. How did the Roman Catholics ever get away from something sensible, but Scriptural, (2 Timothy 2:22) ie. keeping young people with raging hormones separate? When my daughter was looking at colleges ten years ago, the ABSENCE of “co-ed” dorms was high on her list of desirables. Sad too, that many of her contemporaries – especially young males – seemed to suffer from all of the “social activities” available in co-ed housing and wound up not finishing college.

oldleprechaun on June 14, 2011 at 5:39 PM

I believe that intellect and virtue are connected

This is perhaps the most intelligent statement I have ever heard come out of an educators mouth. Libs gotta hate reasoning like this.

Tommy_G on June 14, 2011 at 5:39 PM

The question is: Will anyone notice?

DaydreamBeliever on June 14, 2011 at 5:36 PM

The people who will most notice are the ones who have to walk a little bit more to get to their BF/GF’s dorms. Those who hook up off-campus prolly won’t notice at all.

Uncle Sams Nephew on June 14, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Meh. I was in a “coed” dorm and the guys and girls both gave each other space. I didn’t even know I was in a coed dorm (that it was called such) until I learned what single-sex residence halls were.

If it makes the parents feel better, fine; however, I’d suggest concerned parents give their kids a thorough education on the dangers and risks of living away from home.

MeatHeadinCA on June 14, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Single. Sex.

hmmmm

faraway on June 14, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Bring back the “Walk of Shame!”

LOL!

Roy Rogers on June 14, 2011 at 5:44 PM

If libs looked at eating the same way they did sex, obesity would be cool.

JellyToast on June 14, 2011 at 5:45 PM

IMHO, this would only make any real difference if the students had gone to single-sex schools before college. You don’t have to live at school to get, *ahem*, very interested in the opposite sex.

Uncle Sams Nephew on June 14, 2011 at 5:48 PM

I believe that intellect and virtue are connected.

Tommy_G on June 14, 2011 at 5:39 PM

So did Aristotle. See Nicomachean Ethics. (Wonder how many campuses are teaching this Dead White European Male today.)

Wethal on June 14, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Wethal on June 14, 2011 at 5:49 PM

I know mine is. But we are on the “low scale”. :)

upinak on June 14, 2011 at 5:50 PM

MeatHeadinCA on June 14, 2011 at 5:41 PM

It’s a CATHOLIC university. Being that it is Catholic it should follow the teachings of the church-which means no co-ed dorms.
If co-ed dorms are a priority for the wee lads and lasses-then they’ve got other things on their minds besides book-learning anyway.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 14, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Beta-male liberal arts majors hardest hit.

Cicero43 on June 14, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Alpha-male recreation majors frustrated.

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 14, 2011 at 5:53 PM

WHAT THE FROG was a ‘Catholic’ university doing with co-ed dorms to begin with?
*FYI: I’m Catholic*

annoyinglittletwerp on June 14, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Obviously, the vast majority of US Catholics are CINOs. But you’d think a Catholic institution would be true to the faith…?

itsnotaboutme on June 14, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Alpha-male recreation majors frustrated.

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 14, 2011 at 5:53 PM

My son goes away to college in 2012.
Y’all are starting to scare me. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on June 14, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Points to Garvey. He was a good dean at BC Law. Annoyed all the right lefties from time to time.

RedMindBlueState on June 14, 2011 at 5:56 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on June 14, 2011 at 5:50 PM

As a proud non-Catholic, I’ve got to ask exactly where in CC teaching co-ed dorms are dealt with. Promiscuity is another thing; however as I clearly stated, I’ve been in a coed dorm where sexual interaction between residences was kept at the minimum. Now, did some guys/girls sneak in their gf’s/bf’s? Yeah… but that’s not the same thing as coed dorms and if one wanted to do that, they had to make sure their roomie wasn’t going to go running to the RA/RD.

I would also point out that if I were a parent about to send my daughter or son to college, probably one of the later concerns for me would be coed housing. Lauren Spierer’s family might have a thing or two to say about that.

MeatHeadinCA on June 14, 2011 at 5:57 PM

itsnotaboutme on June 14, 2011 at 5:56 PM

DePaul Univesity in Chicago is UBER-leftist…as is Loyola.

Come to think of it…the USCCB is pretty far left as well.
A lot of Catholic Universities follow the lead of the USCCB.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 14, 2011 at 6:00 PM

I don’t see how single sex dorms are going to prevent binge drinking and hook-ups. Binge drinking generally happens at bars and at house/ apartment parties and hook-ups generally happen when random people meet at bars and apartment parties. I’m not sure there is even a correlation there. There’s no way to stop that sort of behavior unless the schools want to start implement curfews or giving every student returning to the dorm breathalyzer tests.

Illinidiva on June 14, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Illinidiva on June 14, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Agreed. And I think that the binge drinking (and the results) are a much more dangerous thing for freshmen than a girl living in the same building as a boy.

MeatHeadinCA on June 14, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Illinidiva on June 14, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Exactly; and even such measures would be nearly pointless. They’re young adults, for crying out loud, in a few years they’ll very likely be living 100% independently.

Uncle Sams Nephew on June 14, 2011 at 6:06 PM

I really hated living in a single-sex dorm in my sophomore year. Or maybe I just hated the Scripps sorority-types. I’m one of those women that genuinely prefers the company of men — platonic or otherwise. Of course, we had our own private bathrooms so that wasn’t really an issue.

Fortunata on June 14, 2011 at 6:10 PM

MeatHeadinCA on June 14, 2011 at 5:57 PM

You know I’ve only been a Catholic for a little over a year-so I’m just a babe-in-arms as far as her theology goes. THIS I do know:The Church teaches that sex should be reserved until marriage and that in thought, deed, and dress one is required to behave morally. Throwing hormonally-charged young people together in a co-ed dorm makes it all that much easier to blow-off the Church’s teachings. I’m not a pollyanna when it comes to human nature. I know that there’s sex happening at Catholic universities, just as there are students at Nazarene schools that drink(Nazarenes are a dry denomination). That doesn’t mean that Catholic Universities should give up on the Teachings. Catholicism is not supposed to be a popularity contest. There are moral absolutes.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 14, 2011 at 6:14 PM

“This fall, entering CUA freshmen will be assigned to residence halls in which they won’t have to worry quite so much about meeting a member of the opposite sex in the hallway walking back from the bathroom. ”

Uh, I lived in a co-ed dorm for four years and I can’t say this was ever a “worry” of mine. I didn’t walk back from the bathroom naked.

I’m not in favor of men and women being assigned to the same dorm *rooms*, but to me there is nothing wrong with men and women sharing a hallway or a building. It’s no different than living in an apartment building. Why must people be coddled?

athenanyc on June 14, 2011 at 6:15 PM

“If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out. [44] [b] 45 And if your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into hell. [46] [c] 47 And if your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell, ”

And if Co-Ed dorms cause you to F-Up, get rid of them, it is better to…well you get the idea….

moc23 on June 14, 2011 at 6:18 PM

sex != coed dorms.

I would disagree for most young adults – and the horn-crazed ones probably shouldn’t be going to school anyway. From experience, I can say that residents of coed dorms do not tend to hook up. Then there’s the whole roommate thing. And everyone knows if someone is having sex (yes, girls from OTHER dorms came to visit their boyfriends).

annoyinglittletwerp on June 14, 2011 at 6:14 PM

And I’m not really that concerned with the coed thing being shut down at this Catholic university. In fact, Tina makes an interesting point about their being a demand for same-sex housing. But as others have pointed out, the actual coed housing thing isn’t what’s leading to sex in dorms. It’s RA’s and RD’s perhaps turning a blind eye to someone sneaking in a girlfriend.

To put it in another way, I never understood the way of thinking that would say that these horndog 18 yos just couldn’t help but want to hook up with each other as they practically shared the same shower stalls! That’s just not how it is in the coed dorms I’ve been in.

MeatHeadinCA on June 14, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Whoa! Catholic universities actually acting like…Catholic Universities. That’s a novel idea.

What will the Obama anti-Catholic, Catholics at Georgetown and Notre Dame think about this novelty?

Don L on June 14, 2011 at 6:26 PM

athenanyc on June 14, 2011 at 6:15 PM

What are you talking about? You mean, you didn’t see naked boys and girls co-mingling in the hallways? ;)

MeatHeadinCA on June 14, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Good.
Coed dorms were designed to destroy our youth.

Slowburn on June 14, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Good.
Coed dorms were designed to destroy our youth.

Slowburn on June 14, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Public Schools destroyed the youth LONG before they got to the dorms.

MeatHeadinCA on June 14, 2011 at 6:29 PM

I don’t understand why teen-age girls and young women have allowed themselves to be taken in by this “hooking up” business. The female psyche hasn’t changed since I was young to the point that girls have no further emotional need for a monogamous relationship. Most girls still long for that special guy who’s theirs and theirs alone, but they apparently willingly go along with the idea that relationships are somehow less relevant than sex. And sex, after all, is just sex, just recreation, and your partner is only a partner of and in the moment.

Smarten up, ladies. We’re the civilizers. Men seldom grow up until they have to. Men, too, long for a special someone and the comforts and joys of family, hearth and home, but often don’t recognize, or acknowledge, those longings in their harmone-laden haze. That’s where we come in.

And, btw, what the hell is “gender-neutral” housing?

SukieTawdry on June 14, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Illinidiva on June 14, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Uncle Sams Nephew on June 14, 2011 at 6:06 PM

How stupid that dummy St. Paul was thinking that he could convince those orgy loving Romans to give up their pleasure games for a life of Cristianity.

Haven’t you, “they can’t stop their urges” folks ever heard of self-discipline and restraint? It reflects more upon you than anything.

Don L on June 14, 2011 at 6:32 PM

I went to CUA and am glad to hear of this decision! As a parent of College age children it is nice to have options! Dorms were single sex when I was there, except one that had separate wings of same building. We had plenty of college fun without the pressure of today’s coed living arrangements.

txmomof6 on June 14, 2011 at 6:32 PM

Now that reason has returned to one campus, can the death of “zero tolerance” be far behind??

landlines on June 14, 2011 at 6:32 PM

Must have been happening while I was in class. ;)

At my school, hooking up with someone in your dorm, or especially on your floor, was actually pretty taboo. I don’t think single sex dorms would have changed the culture at all, but they were not offered. All of the bathrooms were single sex.

For the record, I am a practicing Catholic and I don’t deny that there are temptations in the college environment, but I do not think that running into people of the opposite sex in the hallway is in itself such a temptation that it will end up leading to rampant, promiscuous sex.

athenanyc on June 14, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Who knew they had these to begin with? Madness.

Proximity to nubile young women however chaste, alcohol and the states of casual undress that develop with residential familiarity just might lead to the tiniest bit of friskiness and trouble.

At my age I’d know to resist temptation (or at least struggle valiantly) but as a college clown I’d be running amok, giggling and not believing what Mom and Dad were paying for.

Mason on June 14, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Maureen Dowd, Terry McAuliffe and Ed Gillespie went to CUA, and I bet they managed to have fun at a college that had single sex dorms. Just sayin’

txmomof6 on June 14, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Wow. That puts an awful lot of pressure on the ladies, doesn’t it? Don’t the guys own any responsibility for becoming “civilized?”

athenanyc on June 14, 2011 at 6:37 PM

I went to Purdue in the 70′s. Our “coed” dorms consisted of a male tower and a female tower and the lobby/dining/laundry-study area were 3 levels in a building between the 2 towers. We had visitation hours, and at 11 pm on weekdays and 1 AM on weekends, the doors to the girls’ side were locked up tight and an elderly lady sat at a table and signed us in and out. The hallway exit doors were locked and alarmed during the night. We had 3 dorms like that, the rest of them were all single sex dorms.

This worked out fine. For the frisky kids, they worked it out with their roommates when they needed privacy. For the more daring girls, they would try to sneak their guy in overnight, but he had to have a strong bladder, haha. On the boys’ side of the dorm, all the doors were unlocked 24/7 so it was easier to sneak out the girlfriend after hours.

What I liked about this “coed” arrangement was we didn’t have to worry about guys in the hallway before noon, any day of the week, so we could run to/from the bathroom in a towel or whatever. Boys were not allowed in the bathrooms on the residence floors, they were required to use the bathrooms in the lobby. Also, it was quieter, not having guys on the floor 24/7. And, since I was an engineering student, if I needed to work with my study group late at night, we had a safe place to meet in the lobby since, as an engineer, my study groups were always with guys.

The downside to this “coed” dorm arrangement, we always seemed to have higher charges against our deposit each year from stupid damage guys would do from just being guys. In the all girl dorms, we almost always got almost all of our deposit back at the end of the year.

Purdue’s campus was alcohol free and it was enforced. So we didn’t have the open, rowdy, binge drinking at the dorms. People who liked to party moved to the greek houses or off campus housing.

I think it is a good idea to keep the sexes separated in the residence areas of the dorms. If they can’t be done by tower like at purdue, at least create single sex floors in each dorm or something.

I think the secret to Purdue’s success in the dorms were the no 24/7 coed visitation and no booze ever allowed in the dorms (enforced, violations got a student in serious trouble). Purdue was also a pretty serious school, so it really wasn’t known to be a party school.

Purdue was always full in dorm capacity and it wasn’t required to live in the dorm as a freshman. The food was pretty good, so I didn’t mind living in the dorm the whole time I went to school. I am not sure how it is now, as I haven’t been back on campus in 30 years, but the arrangement worked well for me while I was there.

karenhasfreedom on June 14, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Must have been happening while I was in class. ;)

athenanyc on June 14, 2011 at 6:34 PM

I had a similar experience. There were a few guys on my floor that brought over a girl from another dorm (or school), but no person with a shred of decency “hooked up” in my dorm.

I think you bring up some good points about temptations – though, in my experience, the temptations weren’t in the dorms so much as off campus.

MeatHeadinCA on June 14, 2011 at 6:40 PM

A lot of you are arguing against a point that was not made.

No one claimed that this would stop binge drinking and hooking up.

The claim (which appears to be supported by facts) is that this would noticeably decrease it.

exhelodrvr on June 14, 2011 at 6:54 PM

boo

El_Terrible on June 14, 2011 at 6:56 PM

exhelodrvr on June 14, 2011 at 6:54 PM

That claim is probably false.

MeatHeadinCA on June 14, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Depends on how serious you are about not wanting to be distracted. I lived in a girls’ dorm that hooked up in a center area for the coed cafeteria, then the boys dorm was on the other side.

That was fairly relaxing.

Then I lived in a co-op (girls) with three girls other girls in two rooms large enough to contain four beds, a living area, and a kitchen area.

In that co-op, we were allowed to have male visitors at any time.

I ended up commandeering the hall linen closet for my study area, just to be able to concentrate.

The worst thing for me would have been being thrown into a co-ed dorm with no choice.

Alana on June 14, 2011 at 7:04 PM

exhelodrvr on June 14, 2011 at 6:54 PM

The guys with girlfriends tend not to be the binge drinkers.

dedalus on June 14, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Don L on June 14, 2011 at 6:32 PM

It’s fine if the colleges want to teach kids self restraint; most colleges make freshman go through the alcohol and safe-sex lecture. In fact, I’m all for dorms having a no alcohol and parties in the dorm or dorm quiet hours. However, Tina made the argument that somehow not leaving in the same building as boys was going to prevent binge drinking and hook-ups. And she really didn’t provide evidence that this was the case. I don’t see how single sex dorms do anything to reduce the amount of drinking on campus, and students can have random drunk sex with people not in their buildings. We were just pointing out that we’re not sure how this prevents alcohol consumption.

Illinidiva on June 14, 2011 at 7:11 PM

A lot of you are arguing against a point that was not made.

No one claimed that this would stop binge drinking and hooking up.

exhelodrvr on June 14, 2011 at 6:54 PM

Stats taught me that correlation doesn’t equal causation. Single-sex dorms generally appeal to more conservative and religious students. For instance, Muslim students or conservative Christian students are going to probably opt for the gender separated dorms. Also, there are probably more gender separated dorms at religious schools; for instance, Brigham Young probably has gender separated dorms. Brigham Young also has very strict policies against pre-marital sex, drinking, etc. I’m not sure CUA’s student profile, but I’m not sure that suddenly making dorms single-sex is suddenly going to change the behavior of students at a school like Notre Dame (huge drinking and date rape problems there) or some of the other nominally Catholic institutions. And it definitely isn’t going to change the behavior of students at Arizona State.

Illinidiva on June 14, 2011 at 7:20 PM

This falls in line with schools separating the sexes for lunch.

taznar on June 14, 2011 at 7:52 PM

I worked at a local college, and I applaud this decision. We thought we were mature enough to handle it when we were kids and protested until we got total freedom/chaos. Guess what, kids are not mature enough. Now that I’m an adult I see lots of heartbroken young adults that prove it.

Way to go! All colleges should offer this option.

PattyJ on June 14, 2011 at 7:55 PM

More than 90 percent of college housing is coed.

Wow. That statistic makes me feel old.

My 16-year-old son is giving serious consideration to attending one of the last all-male colleges in the country.

CJ on June 14, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Sounds plausible, but did they control for the selection effect of which types of students would choose same sex housing and which would choose co-ed?

Count to 10 on June 14, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Must have been happening while I was in class. ;)

athenanyc on June 14, 2011 at 6:34 PM

My roommate was sleeping with one of the girls in our dorm by the second week.
By the second quarter he had “broken up” with her, and was dating other girls, but they were still sleeping together.

Count to 10 on June 14, 2011 at 8:08 PM

I lived on a gender-mixed wing of a gender-mixed floor of a gender-mixed floor my freshman year at a dirty hippie liberal arts school. As I recall, very little of anything happened, but then again, I was high all the time.

Man, I miss college. :P

elcapt on June 14, 2011 at 8:11 PM

As a CUA graduate, I am thrilled to hear the dorm situation has returned to sanity. My years there in the late turbulent 60′s were wonderful, and I am glad that my time there wasn’t complicated with guys wandering around at all hours pressuring us for hook-ups.

It was a kinder time when we could kick back and relax and study our guts out because the courses were hard and the grading was tougher.

I am thrilled for the change. God bless CUA!

marybel on June 14, 2011 at 8:47 PM

This is a GOOD decision on behalf of CUA.

We need this kind of moral decisiveness in our society.

ORrighty on June 14, 2011 at 8:57 PM

I went to BYU.

They have never had coed student housing (except for married students). They also forbid drinking and premarital and extramarital sex.

Jimmy Carter attempted to force BYU to abide by the edicts of Title IX in spite of the fact that BYU intentionally avoided Federal Strings by refusing Federal money from day one.

We didn’t have to through 30 years of tragedy to learn this lesson.

Repeal Title IX!

The Rock on June 15, 2011 at 1:34 AM

*FYI: I’m Catholic*

annoyinglittletwerp on June 14, 2011 at 5:32 PM

I live in the shadow of that so-called Catholic university and can attest that the only thing still Catholic about it is it’s Latin name. Even the “priests” they put in charge of it are ultra leftist. It sucks…and so does their football team.

SKYFOX on June 15, 2011 at 6:01 AM

A few comments here and in the WSJ after the article say, essentially, “The kids are going to have sex and drink in any case, whether or not their dorms are single sex.”

I just love the “throw-up-your-hands” attitude. A few people evidently overlooked this paragraph in the original article:

Owen Glendower on June 15, 2011 at 8:43 PM