Boehner warns Obama: If Congress doesn’t authorize the Libya mission by Sunday, you’re in violation of the War Powers Act

posted at 8:05 pm on June 14, 2011 by Allahpundit

First the debt-ceiling standoff, now this. Man, that’s going to be one awkward golf summit.

Dear Mr. President:

Five days from now, our country will reach the 90-day mark from the notification to Congress regarding the commencement of the military operation in Libya, which began on March 18, 2011. On June 3, 2011, the House passed a resolution which, among other provisions, made clear that the Administration has not asked for, nor received, Congressional authorization of the mission in Libya. Therefore, it would appear that in five days, the Administration will be in violation of the War Powers Resolution unless it asks for and receives authorization from Congress or withdraws all U.S. troops and resources from the mission…

Given the mission you have ordered to the U.S. Armed Forces with respect to Libya and the text of the War Powers Resolution, the House is left to conclude that you have made one of two determinations: either you have concluded the War Powers Resolution does not apply to the mission in Libya, or you have determined the War Powers Resolution is contrary to the Constitution. The House, and the American people whom we represent, deserve to know the determination you have made.

Therefore, on behalf of the institution and the American people, I must ask you the following questions: Have you or your Administration conducted the legal analysis to justify your position as to whether your Administration views itself to be in compliance with the War Powers Resolution so that it may continue current operations, absent formal Congressional support or authorization, once the 90-day mark is reached? Assuming you conducted that analysis, was it with the consensus view of all stakeholders of the relevant Departments in the Executive branch? In addition, has there been an introduction of a new set of facts or circumstances which would have changed the legal analysis the Office of Legal Counsel released on April 1, 2011? Given the gravity of the constitutional and statutory questions involved, I request your answer by Friday, June 17, 2011.

I wrote about Boehner’s War Powers brinksmanship a few weeks ago but I’m still not sure what his game is. He was, I think, cowed into demanding that O seek authorization of the mission after Kucinich’s resolution demanding full withdrawal from Libya started to gain traction with Republicans. Boehner knew that having a chunk of the caucus support a measure like that would risk a conservative split between hawks and libertarian types, so he rammed through his own milder proposal instead that put the ball on authorization back in Obama’s court. The White House’s reaction: *Shrug.* Now Boehner is dropping this ultimatum on him, which, if Obama complies, would force … precisely the sort of divisive vote among Republicans in the House that I thought Boehner was trying to avoid by torpedoing Kucinich. I don’t get it.

Maybe JB thinks a court battle over the War Powers Act would be politically useful? It’d certainly underscore the perceptions of Obama among some lefties and libertarians as a lawless Bushian cowboy, eager to protect his kingly prerogative to wage war without anyone’s approval. But it’ll also bolster the perception among hawks that he’s a stronger-than-expected C-in-C who’s unwilling to let Congress pull the rug out from under airmen eager to complete their mission. And of course, a legal battle also risks polarizing Republicans on the constitutionality of the War Powers Act. All of which is to say, while I respect Boehner for sticking to the law, he’s sticking to it to a surprising and not necessarily politically advantageous degree. If he’s that down on the mission, why didn’t he force a vote on Kucinich’s resolution without offering any alternatives?

Here’s McCain suggesting that the White House will make the case to Congress for the mission within the next day or two, although he’s unclear on whether that means a request for authorization or just a little “FYI” session. I’m guessing the crux of Obama’s argument will be that there are no servicemen in harm’s way over there, only drones and other unmanned technology, and therefore Congress doesn’t have to approve anything. Oh, by the way: I might have missed it, but did John King ask a single question about the War Powers Act at the debate last night? This subject has, after all, come up now and again over the past three months since Obama decided unilaterally to commit U.S. assets to the Libya mission. One would think he might have been able to slip it in between asking the candidates whether Moe, Larry, or Curly was their favorite stooge or whatever.

Comments

about dang time JB

ughhh mccain…

cmsinaz on June 14, 2011 at 8:07 PM

So what are they going to do? Arrest him? Impeach him?

Rod on June 14, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Boehner is just harshing Obama’s buzz.

He doesn’t mean it.

Roy Rogers on June 14, 2011 at 8:09 PM

I don’t think this is a political game – I think this is a step in reigning Barry in and reminding him that no one is above the law – even him.

gophergirl on June 14, 2011 at 8:09 PM

I don’t get it. -Allahpundit

Trying to make sense out of anything the GOP leadership does is an exercise in futility Allah.

HondaV65 on June 14, 2011 at 8:10 PM

I get it. If the case here is that the POTUS is required to get congressional authorization then he is required to get congressional authorization, this should transcend party lines.

Bishop on June 14, 2011 at 8:10 PM

All bark no bite boehner? If you follow up on the threat, you might get a tiny +1. BTW boehner, keep an eye on bho with the golfing event, he probably cheats on his golf score.
L

letget on June 14, 2011 at 8:10 PM

Obama, the thug, and Holder, are impervious to ultimatums and the constistution.

They assume to be monarchs (not the butterflies).

Schadenfreude on June 14, 2011 at 8:11 PM

I think Boehner is setting the stage for “Cowboy Diplomacy” arguments in 2012.

ButterflyDragon on June 14, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Boehner getting froggy…

Ya, sure you betcha

Roy Rogers on June 14, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Bishop on June 14, 2011 at 8:10 PM

it’s what the dems cried about before iraq and afghanistan with W….

cmsinaz on June 14, 2011 at 8:13 PM

First the debt-ceiling standoff,

What debt ceiling standoff?

Bugler on June 14, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Who are these “hawks”? Progressives who are always eager to spend American treasure, but only when it doesn’t serve American interests?

I think we can safely ignore those folks.

Rebar on June 14, 2011 at 8:16 PM

And what is he going to do if Obama doesn’t comply???

N-O-T-H-I-N-G

Z-I-P

Z-E-R-O

Obama is laughing at Boner.

stenwin77 on June 14, 2011 at 8:17 PM

Boehner should not be golfing with little Bammie.

slickwillie2001 on June 14, 2011 at 8:18 PM

At least do what Bush did, go before Congress state your case and put it to a vote. God how complicated can it be? It’s like Obama specifically wants to thumb us in the eye for everything

Defector01 on June 14, 2011 at 8:18 PM

Obama will say that he will provide an answer to Boehner’s questions in days, not weeks or months.

pedestrian on June 14, 2011 at 8:19 PM

DAY 90,Sh*t hits the fan,which is like, almost here!

canopfor on June 14, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Bishop on June 14, 2011 at 8:10 PM

Obama is going to show that since he can blow off Congress on its prerogative of authorizing war, he can also borrow and spend as he pleases.

He will be fitted with a crown shortly.

pedestrian on June 14, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Here’s McCain being McCain. Undermining fellow Republicans to protect fellow Democrats.

JellyToast on June 14, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Pffftttt…Executive Order power Boehner!!

Better hurry up and get Quaddafi DOTUS.

PappyD61 on June 14, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Is your golf handicap lower now than it was four years ago?

Well, Obama’s is.

SlaveDog on June 14, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Allen West….War Powers Act…Day # 90!

Obama,Violation of War Powers Act!

Constitutional Crisis!!!
==============================

War in Libya
**************

canopfor on June 14, 2011 at 8:26 PM

I predict Obama will do nothing or maybe he’ll give a speech. The press will cover and ridicule Boehner. RINO’s will say it’s all no big deal. Boehner then, will have a decision to make. I wonder what it will be?

JellyToast on June 14, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Oh FFS, Obama doesn’t poop without Valerie Jarrett’s blessing.

disa on June 14, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Oh FFS, Obama doesn’t poop without Valerie Jarrett’s blessing.

disa on June 14, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Valerie Jarret: Obama to “rule” as president

Roy Rogers on June 14, 2011 at 8:31 PM

I don’t get it.

I think maybe you’re over-analyzing it…

equanimous on June 14, 2011 at 8:31 PM

wouldn’t you love to be a fly on a golf ball at that golf game. You know President Crybaby, who it seems has never been challenged in his life, is going to get very, very upset that Speaker Boehner is being mean to him.

He might even stomp off in a huff.

ramrants on June 14, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Bachmann on Libya: I Would Not Have Gone In
Mar 30 2011
*************

canopfor on June 14, 2011 at 8:34 PM

I don’t get it.

It brings to the front the Libya issue — a loser for Obama. Only a small percentage of Americans favor continuing the mission. Pointing out it’s not only stupid but illegal could certainly help.

“Republicans were divided” will be in paragraph 5. In paragraph one will be Congress demanding consultation and a vote in order to stop the Obama Administration from breaking the law while pursuing an unpopular mission.

amerpundit on June 14, 2011 at 8:37 PM

jp on June 14, 2011 at 8:34 PM

We’re returning to abiding by the Constitution and the law. It’s a new era of governance. Obama shouldn’t have a problem with that, seeing as how he allegedly supported as much during the campaign.

amerpundit on June 14, 2011 at 8:37 PM

AP, I think the reason you’re confused about Boehner is that you’re trying to analyze his actions solely on the basis of politics and political action.

I think his motivation is more straitforward: this could potentially become a Constitutional crisis. Boehner is attempting to avoid that.

Steven Den Beste on June 14, 2011 at 8:40 PM

JellyToast on June 14, 2011 at 8:22 PM

But he’s the Mavery Maverick.

ramrants on June 14, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Allen West….War Powers Act…Day # 90!

Obama,Violation of War Powers Act!

Constitutional Crisis!!!
==============================

War in Libya
**************

canopfor on June 14, 2011 at 8:26 PM

I wish he had been on that stage last night. Obama’s not fit to carry that man’s briefcase and it would be readily apparent over the course of the campaign.

As to the substance of what he said, he’s exactly right. On day 90 we have a real Constitutional problem and I would solve it by voting to cut off funding if he fails to comply with the law. What McCain fails to understand is that a rogue president is more of a threat to this country, and the world, than a pissant Libyan dictator.

flyfisher on June 14, 2011 at 8:41 PM

All the people that supported this traitor over Hayworth- shame on you.

sartana on June 14, 2011 at 8:43 PM

So wait, are there actual conservatives who WANT us to be involved in Libya? And Yemen? Can we please not. I would rather not have republicans be the “war” party.

thphilli on June 14, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Boehner needs to borrow Weiner’s ballz

Roy Rogers on June 14, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Yeah. Libya is soooooo vital to our national interests.

GarandFan on June 14, 2011 at 8:53 PM

canopfor on June 14, 2011 at 8:26 PM
===================================

flyfisher on June 14, 2011 at 8:41 PM

flyfisher:Its great to hear a straight shooter,and get real
info,and yes,I too wish,West would throw his hat
in!!

canopfor on June 14, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Days.

Not Weeks.

Good Solid B-Plus on June 14, 2011 at 8:55 PM

So, what’s it going to be Johnny? Tears,,stern letter, golf summit?

katy the mean old lady on June 14, 2011 at 8:57 PM

SO…what’s Boehner going to do…have him arrested?
pffftt

Obama is above the law. He IS the law. He’s king. He’s President. He’s going to chuckle and move on…

katy on June 14, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Is MSNBC ghostwriting for HA now?

slickwillie2001 on June 14, 2011 at 8:58 PM

John McCain is a disgrace.

katy on June 14, 2011 at 9:01 PM

jp on June 14, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Interesting. The War Powers has the same legislative BS as Obamacare.

For similar reasons, presumably, rather than repealing the numerous “legislative vetoes” on the statute books that were clearly struck down by Chadha, in the years following that historic decision the Congress instead enacted more than 200 (clearly unconstitutional) legislative vetoes.

Get rid of both of them. Sounds like a fair deal.

pedestrian on June 14, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Obama has five days to seek congressional approval to assassinate Qaddafi?

Really? Because that is the mission.

Christien on June 14, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Why is it brinksmanship?

Basilsbest on June 14, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Senator Barry Obama would be demanding the impeachment of the war monger President Barry Obama.

Really Right on June 14, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Obama will be in violation of an Unconstitutional Law, as Reagan, Bush and Clinton before him were at times

jp on June 14, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Progressive troll is trolling.

Please leave.

Nelsen on June 14, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Slightly OT, but I’d like to thank the President for taking time out from his schedule to celebrate the birth of the United States Army.

Oh, wait.

Sgt Steve on June 14, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Is there anything that can be done if he doesn’t seek congressional approval? Legally? Other than a sternly worded letter, I don’t know.

They can impeach but it would die in the Senate. I doubt they would go that route considering past precedent. Challenge it in court?

dforston on June 14, 2011 at 9:26 PM

There’s nothing stopping Kucinich and other like minded congressmen from suing The One for WPA violations (which he’s been doing from day 1 of the Libya mission as there was no imminent threat to US interests). So why haven’t they?

edshepp on June 14, 2011 at 9:32 PM

I’m sure this will come up before the first turn, say the 7th hole…

Khun Joe on June 14, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Hooah

Roy Rogers on June 14, 2011 at 9:33 PM

I guess we’re about to find out if Obama will abide by the law or if he will proclaim himself dictator. When citizens allow a president to flout the law so brazenly, you’ve got a tyrant on your hands.

Lizzy on June 14, 2011 at 9:40 PM

Colonel, I just need a copy of the transfer order. Santiago’s transfer order. For the file.
- For the file?
- Yeah.
Of course you can have a copy. I’m here to help any way I can. You believe that, don’t you, Danny? That I’ll help any way I can? The corporal will take you by Personnel and get it for you. But you have to ask me nicely.

- I beg your pardon?
- You have to ask me nicely. I can take bullets, bombs and blood. I don’t want money or medals. What I do want is for you, with your
faggoty uniform and Harvard mouth, to extend me some fucking courtesy. You got to ask me nicely.

Colonel Jessep, I’d like a copy of the transfer order. Sir.

No problem.

Boehner just wants him to ask nicely.

munseym on June 14, 2011 at 9:47 PM

- For the file?
- Yeah.

- I beg your pardon?
faggoty uniform and Harvard mouth, to extend me some f—ing courtesy. You got to ask me nicely.

Colonel Jessep, I’d like a copy of the transfer order. Sir.

No problem.

Boehner just wants him to ask nicely.

munseym on June 14, 2011 at 9:48 PM

It’s flag day, too. Did the overworked president acknowledge that at any time?

Stop covering O’s azz, McCain.

onlineanalyst on June 14, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Will someone please tell McCain the election’s over. He can stop defending Obama now.

txhsmom on June 14, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Obama has five days to seek congressional approval to assassinate permanently remove Qaddafi?

Really? Because that is the mission.

Christien on June 14, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Assassinate is such a non-PC term.

It should have been the mission from day one. Best done with the assassin’s dagger, rather than the soldier’s sword.

Slowburn on June 14, 2011 at 10:21 PM

So what are they going to do? Arrest him? Impeach him?

Rod on June 14, 2011 at 8:08 PM

The question of the hour, IMO, is if Obama fears them so little that he can say “do something – I double-dog DARE you!”…and they’ll back down.

Uncle Sams Nephew on June 14, 2011 at 10:22 PM

jp on June 14, 2011 at 8:34 PM

And what happened to THEM when they broke the law?

ZIP.

Uncle Sams Nephew on June 14, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Boehner is a joke.
Obama is free to do as he wants. 2/3rds of the government is under his sides control.

Do something GOP, and then maybe, just maybe, I’ll decide to quit calling you the “Stupid Party”.

MadDogF on June 14, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Basilsbest on June 14, 2011 at 10:49 PM

Probably not. Especially since the UN is a complete joke anyhow.

Uncle Sams Nephew on June 14, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Probably not. Especially since the UN is a complete joke anyhow.Uncle Sams Nephew on June 14, 2011 at 10:51 PM

It’s not just the UN that’s a complete joke.

Basilsbest on June 14, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Kadafy is a thug who needs killing. And if Obama said that putting him in a box was the mission, I’d support it.

But the mealy-mouthed nonsense he’s stated for the mission doesn’t make sense; it’s all about “sending messages”, etc. One would think that a lesson of the first Iraq war is that leaving one of these dudes in power means they win, no matter how badly we kick their ass in the field.

So, kill Kadafy or leave.

foobarista on June 14, 2011 at 11:02 PM

It’s not just the UN that’s a complete joke.

Basilsbest on June 14, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Touche.

If Clowngress didn’t do squat about Bush’s abuses (few and mild by comparison), how can we expect them to reign in Obama?

Uncle Sams Nephew on June 14, 2011 at 11:02 PM

The Speaker has the votes to shut off funding for the DoD, and its on going operations. Steven Den Beste and flyfisher understand the real dangerous path that the president is walking down. Real lives, American lives are at stake here. Some one from the the presidents national security team should remind him of this little fact.

flackcatcher on June 14, 2011 at 11:04 PM

how can we expect them to reign in Obama?

We can’t. They’re too PC and too squishy.

Basilsbest on June 14, 2011 at 11:07 PM

ultimatum

I don’t think that word means what you think it does. An ultimatum would include a threat, a formulation of “do this or else”. There is no “or else” to Boehner’s message. There isn’t even a demand, just a request.

Anon Y. Mous on June 14, 2011 at 11:25 PM

I think there are several advantages to forcing the President to honor the War Powers Act.

….this will put a lot of democrats on the spot.It was only a few years ago that liberals were in the streets yelling “no blood for oil” and angry about Bush going into Iraq…a country that had not attacked us and after the invasion….we found posed no imminent threat.
To protect Obama…these same liberals on the Hill will have to “vote for war”….not only vote for war…but a war against an oil rich country that did not attack us and posed no imminent threat.
Let’s get these “anti-war” democrats on record with their votes and pound their base with their “new love for war” all the way to 2012.

Second…..Obama has changed his rationale for going to war in Libya(civilian and no fly zone quickly turned into regime change)… and has gone against his own stance that a President has to get Congressional approval before launching a military attack against another country.
These ads write themselves and will go nicely with the economic ads that will play out into 2012.

Third
…..Republicans strong on National defense have plenty of reasons not to vote for this war in Libya.

The President never laid out a plan,firm rational,or exit plan before launching this war from the Beaches in Rio.

Considering our Problems in Pakistan,Iran,and the Afghanistan war….this “war of choice” in Libya is pretty far down on our priority list.
Obama himself said “I don’t believe in Dumb Wars”…..Republicans should hold him to this and demand our attention and resources be channeled in more important areas.

3.Obama continuously says “America is in the backseat….NATO has taken the lead”….well then America pulling out should not be a problem then right. …..

…..Can we afford to open up other fronts against the jihad when we have not taken care of the wars we are currently in.Obama claimed “Days not Weeks” and we are now at nearly 800 billion dollars and counting.This war,like most of Obama’s policies and actions….is going way over budget and is not playing out like what he sold to the American people.

Republicans need to make a strong stand here and make the democrats own this open ended war. Put them on record supporting it.Qaddafi being gone is not going to solve the civil war in Libya and the world is watching and wondering right now why going into Libya was so important but they look the other way concerning Syria.

This is Obama’a 100% and he should be made to own it.

Baxter Greene on June 15, 2011 at 12:02 AM

Boehner’s doing fine. He’s showing up how lawless Obama is within the framework of what the House is able to do. Issa, too, slowly but surely. I think some people seem to want the Pubbies to just literally spit on the House floor and kick arses. Nice image, but it’s not going to happen.
Defund the Libyan war, or make a convincing argument for it. Either way, the House wins, Obama loses.
I’m sure Boehner will wipe the floor with Bambi on the golf course, too. But he won’t crow about it; what’s the point?

Fortunata on June 15, 2011 at 12:03 AM

This is going to be great for the next Republican prez.
Press: You can’t do that!
Prez: Barry did it and you guys said it was ok, so I’m ok doing it too.

BruceB on June 15, 2011 at 2:38 AM

The GOP has no right to invoke a Constitutional Crisis after saying nothing when the Supreme Court swore Obama in on 20/1/2009. totally ignoring the “natural born” requirement for president.

OldEnglish on June 15, 2011 at 4:22 AM

One of the ideas is (or if not, it should be) is to DEPRESS the Obama worshiping, neo-commie base which hates war — well, hates any war the US is involved in.

What’s NOT TO GET? That mob is one of the few who even KNOW the US is still in Libya. The same mob that’ll turn out for the Gramcian.

So this helps the GOP in 2012 if the mob can be marginalized from their man.

Jack Bauer on June 15, 2011 at 4:47 AM

OldEnglish on June 15, 2011 at 4:22 AM

Give it a rest, for God’s sake. Your thought process is bizarre. One shouldn’t do something because one didn’t do something else previously.

Childish stupidity. Very annoying.

Jack Bauer on June 15, 2011 at 4:50 AM

It’s the Constitution, (insert appropriate insult here).

ANV on June 15, 2011 at 6:58 AM

Should make for an interesting convo out on the links.

paul1149 on June 15, 2011 at 7:53 AM

This puts lal the pressure on Obama and is a great move.

He now has to both defend his hawkish actions – tp the far left; while attempting to mitigate his “tough foreign military policy” which is nothing more than a facade.

A win/win.

Lets remember – The Dunce is fundraising now… and now is when you hit the checkbooks with key issues they pay on… or decide to pass on.

And the Rep “split” has nothing to do with anything, nor will it make them look bad; for the onus is on Bambi to blink and propose some form of “War Allowance”, which would cause far left Dems heads to explode before Reps had a chance to chime in. Good lord, even Feinberg is calling for the end to the war – and she and the hubby make big bucks on wars. (contrary to moron liberals)

Odie1941 on June 15, 2011 at 9:33 AM

I don’t get it. -Allahpundit

It’s an extension of Boehner’s golf game….he’s doing this to throw Obama…mmm…mmm…mmm…mmm…off his game on the golf course.

Smart man, that Boehner is….

Mcguyver on June 15, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Jack Bauer on June 15, 2011 at 4:50 AM

I detest the hypocrisy of inconsistent exigency.

OldEnglish on June 15, 2011 at 10:24 AM

I think you may be misreading the hawks… My family is mostly military, straight ticket (R) voters, and they’re all sour on Libya (the “why are we even there??” war) and souring on Afghanistan.

Lehosh on June 15, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Whatever. I’m confident that the millions of anti-war Lefties who so patriotically dissented to Bush’s illegal wars of imperialism will soon take to the streets and demand Obama’s impeachment.

Any day now.

*cue crickets*

Professor Blather on June 15, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Lehosh on June 15, 2011 at 10:27 AM

I can hardly blame them. With ROE’s that would make the French proud, nevermind a lethargic and cowardly populace, it’s all pointless. Even worse, what gains we do make will go the way of the dodo if the nightmare of national bankruptcy comes true.

Uncle Sams Nephew on June 15, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Maybe he thinks it’s the law of the land and needs to be obeyed? Rule of law and that kind of thing…

jnelchef on June 15, 2011 at 3:44 PM

YA THINK ?
He is in violation, now stop the gum bumping and defund it. Congress holds the pruse strings. Hold him in contempt.

ColdWarrior57 on June 15, 2011 at 3:58 PM