TSA Confiscates Mentally Challenged Man’s Toy

posted at 10:45 am on June 11, 2011 by Howard Portnoy

We can all sleep easier tonight knowing that Drew Mandy’s plastic toy hammer is in the trash rather than terrorizing passengers and crew on the plane he and his parents boarded for Walt Disney World.

If you’re looking for someone to thank for depriving a mentally challenged 29-year-old of his much-beloved security blanket, look no further than the Transportation and Security Administration.

Members of this feckless bunch sprung into action at Detroit Metro Airport when they first laid eyes on Mandy, whose parents say has the mental capacity of a 2-year-old. They singled him out for a special pat-down, which makes perverse sense of a sort: Special pat-downs for people with special needs.

Security personnel sensed they had sniffed out a troublemaker when they asked Drew to place his feet on a yellow shoe line, and he failed to comply. His father intervened, explaining that his son didn’t understand what they were asking, but the TSA ordered David Mandy to back off, explaining, “Please, sir, we know what we’re doing.”

They proceeded to pat Drew’s pants down, questioning the padding they found, which turned out to be his adult diapers. When the agents asked Drew to take his hand and rub the front and back of his pants so they could swab it for explosives, his dad tried again in vain to explain that his son suffered severe retardation, but the stalwart TSA refused to be deterred.

It was then that agents spotted the “weapons” Drew was attempting to smuggle onto the flight: a ball and a six-inch plastic hammer.

“My son carries his ball and his hammer for security. He goes everywhere with [them],” explained his father.

But the TSA wasn’t falling for that. One of them took the hammer and tapped the wall, observing, “’See, it’s hard. It could be used as a weapon.”

Drew’s parents were told they could make arrangements to ship the toy to their destination. Since that would result in their missing their flight, however, David Mandy reluctantly tossed the toy instead, remarking, “It just killed me to have to throw it away because he’s been carrying this like for 20 years.”

While the TSA is busy harassing passengers who pose no legitimate threat, those who do meantime are boarding planes with increasing frequency. In March, a man with a history of psychiatric problems sneaked past security and onto a plane at JFK airport in New York. A week earlier, another passenger boarded a plane at the same airport carrying box cutters—the very “weapon” used by the 9/11 hijackers to commandeer four planes.

Understandably upset, Drew Mandy’s father wrote to the TSA and received a conciliatory response that noted among other things that the 800 TSA agents at Detroit Metro Airport would be retrained as a result of their mishandling of Drew’s case. Retrained? How about training them to do their job correctly in the first place?

In case you’re feeling bad about Drew’s losing his hammer, the story has a happy footnote. Drew’s mother, having evidently learned long ago how to suffer fools, had a second hammer secreted in her backpack. It passed through the airport’s eagle-eyed security without a hitch.

Related Articles

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Keep up the good work, Janet! I will get a good night of sleep tonight knowing you’re on the job.

Fallen Sparrow on June 11, 2011 at 10:48 AM

He’s just lucky they didn’t call the Dept of Education SWAT Team.

Bugler on June 11, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Man, I take a week off to go fishing and the nation goes to hell.

Bishop on June 11, 2011 at 10:51 AM

“Please, sir, we know what we’re doing.”

Yeah.

JetBoy on June 11, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Despite the happy footnote, this is pathetic.

antisocial on June 11, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Yay Mom!

darwin-t on June 11, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Drew’s Mother for head of TSA. Seriously.

Between pedophile Weinerdouche and the azzclowns working for TSA, I’m thinking I should have stayed in Canada and had all my stuff shipped to me; this nation is infested with human trash.

Bishop on June 11, 2011 at 10:54 AM

There’s obviously more than one mentally challenged person in this article.

IrishEi on June 11, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Any one who feels safer flying because of the TSAs is an idiot. They have taken liberalism to it’s (il)logical conclusion. Create a problem. Implement an unworkable solution that doesn’t address the problem. Scream for more money and authority. Then terrorize (with impunity) the public as a whole. You have to wonder what goes through these people minds. In this case they were probable trying to punish this man and his parents for the audacity of allowing him to be born in the first place. This child should have been aborted they are telling us. Are you listening Sarah Palin?

Tommy_G on June 11, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Bishop on June 11, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Careful now, the Railroad Retirement Board SWAT Team might be taking notes.

Bugler on June 11, 2011 at 10:57 AM

I had a Marine friend who said he could kill a man with a well-sharpened pencil.

Marcus on June 11, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Marcus on June 11, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Well who can’t?

Tommy_G on June 11, 2011 at 11:00 AM

This story is bad enough, but I am equally disturbed by the fact that conservative blogs have given in and are now using politically correct terms like “mentally challenged.”

Mark1971 on June 11, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Marcus on June 11, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Heck, a toothpick in the eye would disable most people.

IrishEi on June 11, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Tommy_G on June 11, 2011 at 10:56 AM

I think it’s part of the Cass Sunstein plan to terrorize the populace into immobility. That guy is an evil SOB.

Fallen Sparrow on June 11, 2011 at 11:01 AM

I don’t understand why the airlines don’t spend more time fighting this insanity. No doubt it’s having a significant affect on their profits, no? Perhaps they are worried about what the pushback would be – this administration doesn’t seem to take kindly to people who oppose it.

David Shane on June 11, 2011 at 11:02 AM

ROFLOL – Drew’s mom sounds like my mother in law who raised 2 Down Syndrome boys (one adopted). She prepared for every contingency – especially fools like the TSA when travelling with Chris & Eric. It (I suspect) goes with the territory.

LL

Lady Logician on June 11, 2011 at 11:03 AM

I’m worried about what’s going to happen to these people on their return trip. The TSAs are a awfully vindictive lot.

Tommy_G on June 11, 2011 at 11:05 AM

I’m guessing I’ll read the headline, “Al Gore admits that whole ‘global warming’ thing was a hoax to get money from suckers” long before I’ll read the headline, “American Airlines flight 462 sucessfully hijacked by mentally handicapped male with toy plastic hammer.”

It’s good to know his mother could just waltz right through the same security stop with one though.

DrAllecon on June 11, 2011 at 11:06 AM

we need more states to follow Texas’ lead.

Roy Rogers on June 11, 2011 at 11:06 AM

This is your US government today. Until we hit the streets en masse, nothing is going to change.

Bugler on June 11, 2011 at 11:08 AM

This is due to a confluence of several things that have happened in my lifetime, but I can’t name them all. Education is in there somewhere. Apathy also.

bbhack on June 11, 2011 at 11:08 AM

If I was this guys dad, I’d be in jail right now for jack slapping the living crap out of all those idiots.

BallisticBob on June 11, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Does TSA have a SWAT team? Because with this admission, they may be coming after her. Scofflaw.

iurockhead on June 11, 2011 at 11:11 AM

I fly every week and I can’t tell you how many stupid things I see these bozos do. Groping little kids and pulling elderly women out of life in the name of “fairness”. Just another giant beauracracy at work. I can’t wait for the government to manage our health care….

dejack on June 11, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Another sterling example of government in action.

GarandFan on June 11, 2011 at 11:12 AM

“You, yes you, fidgety, sweaty, nervous guy with the crazy eyes, wearing a keffiyah and holding a Koran while mumbling “Allahu Ackbar” under your breath….please sir go right through the security line…we have to pat-down this mentally handicapped dude with the adult diapers and a plastic hammer in his hand.”

-TSA Agent Bill Berditzman who only got as far as the 5th grade

Bishop on June 11, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Tommy_G on June 11, 2011 at 11:05 AM

They probably shot the plane down with a missile.

Daemonocracy on June 11, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Man, I take a week off to go fishing and the nation goes to hell.
Bishop on June 11, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Your problem is that you were fool enough to come back!

Marcus on June 11, 2011 at 10:57 AM

I’m reminded of the story a couple of years back of the 70+ year old retired Marine that killed an attacker on a bus in Puerto Rico?

Remember him?

The TSA is useless other than to harass, intimidate, waste time and money.

There is no proof that they have twarted any attacks, indeed if it were not for the Joe Six-packs on flights were incidents have occurred there would have been no protection at all.

We all know who the enemy is – young Muslim males.

Patting down granny and special needs kids doesn’t change that.

turfmann on June 11, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Of all the ridiculous TSA stories, this one one of the most shameful. It’s hard to believe that any adult with normal intelligence would not recognize mental retardation and quickly realize that procedural adjustments will be needed. Any TSA agent who needs “training” to do that, should not be in a position that requires contact with the public.

Dee2008 on June 11, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Just from the headline, I thought that the TSA took away Obama’s Blackberry or something.

Seriously, the TSA needs some serious adult supervision.

DAT60A3 on June 11, 2011 at 11:26 AM

BallisticBob on June 11, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Yep. One of the many reasons why I do not fly these days. If I saw that or any of the other things these tsa thugs do to people I would not be able to control myself.

VegasRick on June 11, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Any time the T&A refuses to let you board with anything, when you discard it, break it first. That way if the T&A goon really wants it for himself, he will be denied. The stuff they take is bundled up and auctioned as well, and the money that they get from that is incentive for them to take more of our stuff.

slickwillie2001 on June 11, 2011 at 11:31 AM

DAT60A3 on June 11, 2011 at 11:26 AM

thread winner!

Roy Rogers on June 11, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Funny sometimes what makes the cut at HA: Napolitano: Concentrating Terrorist Screening Efforts on Muslim Men Under 35 is Not Good Logic

So who is mentally challenged?

slickwillie2001 on June 11, 2011 at 11:34 AM

If you want to know how to get a free TSA massage, here’s what I learned on a recent business trip… Step in front of the full body scanners, stand still, and give two, one-fingered salutes. They don’t take too kindly to that – based on my experience.

NumberTwo on June 11, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Congratulations!!!…The TSA and many other liberty destroying agencies and policies is what the Patriot Act has given us…

But both parties keep renewing that POS legislation.

PatriotRider on June 11, 2011 at 11:40 AM

I know that I personally have avoided approximately 5 to 7 trips in the past 2 years because of this nonsense. I’ve avoided taking a lot more since 9/11, not because of fear of flying, but because of fear of getting to the plane. Yes, some of those were work-related; I found ways to make things happen without getting on the plane — not as good as direct face to face, but avoided the hassles. If it’s less than a 10 hour trip, I’ll drive.

Maybe this guy got extra attention because the TSA is always looking for new recruits?

AZfederalist on June 11, 2011 at 11:41 AM

-TSA Agent Bill Berditzman who only got as far as the 5th grade

Bishop on June 11, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Awesome. A Tommy B & the KQRS Morning Crew reference. How’s MN these days?

Fallen Sparrow on June 11, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Awesome. A Tommy B & the KQRS Morning Crew reference. How’s MN these days?
Fallen Sparrow on June 11, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Same crazy governor, different day.

Bishop on June 11, 2011 at 11:45 AM

t 11:44 AM

Same crazy governor, different day.

Bishop on June 11, 2011 at 11:45 AM

I hear you. I live in Maryland, currently controlled by Martin ‘New Americans’ O’Malley.

Fallen Sparrow on June 11, 2011 at 11:47 AM

I think the TSA is staffed with people with special needs.

Some of them especially need a dope-slap.

percival on June 11, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Thank you President Obama.

crr6 on May 1, 2011 at 10:45 PM

rogerb on June 11, 2011 at 11:49 AM

I think the TSA is staffed with people with special needs.

Some of them especially need a dope-slap.

percival on June 11, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Does that mean that the union thugs who crashed the WI Special Olympics rally were actually there to organize?

Fallen Sparrow on June 11, 2011 at 11:53 AM

So who is mentally challenged?

slickwillie2001 on June 11, 2011 at 11:34 AM

#11. “If you push a negative hard and deep enough, it will break through into its counterside… every positive has its negative.”

Saul Alinsky, you magnificent [email protected]! We read your book!

Roy Rogers on June 11, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Dr. Mandy is the father of three developmentally disabled children. He is one of the area’s finest pediatricians, having been honored regularly by his colleagues in the annual poll of Detroit’s best physicians. He is a Civil War re-enactor and has been involved in Special Olympics for years. My children ages 22, 21, and 19 continue to see him for their medical care. I’ve been told he has patients in their 30s! I think this speaks to what a wonderful man he is. I’m very sorry to hear that his family had to go through this.

damececily on June 11, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Reason #123 why I will never fly in an airplane.

tx2654 on June 11, 2011 at 12:14 PM

I am now on to the thinking that those flying are now more in fault that the TSA. People know what the TSA does yet still horror stories come out when they do what come naturally to them. To me it would be like the running of the bulls then blame the bulls when you get a new hole in your butt. Even if you know that is does what a bull does.

People have to prepare more. Knowing what is allowed on the flight in a carry-on is not top level classified information and only found out when you are searched with contraband. Think everything is not allowed and pack it in checked bag.

If they checked the toy he would have got it back, give him something that is allowed and ask some one before going to the airport what that would be, like a stuffed bear.

With the body search being mentally prepared for it would cause less stress and shock. But it is time to stop blaming the bull as they will not change you just have to be prepared for what they do and horror stories will not change them.

tjexcite on June 11, 2011 at 12:14 PM

A bottle full of water can be “used as a weapon”. A shoe can be “used as a weapon”. Come on, people. Heck, I am surprised they didn’t tase him a few times just for good measure. If you want to keep the terrorists off the plane, just use pigskin upholstery.

crosspatch on June 11, 2011 at 12:17 PM

horror stories will not change them.

tjexcite on June 11, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Surrender much? You WILL see the tsa change when nappy is no longer in charge. Humiliating and harrasing average folks because they can? I don’t think so.

VegasRick on June 11, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Fallen Sparrow on June 11, 2011 at 11:53 AM

I hear the WI DMV is needing people.

AZfederalist on June 11, 2011 at 12:33 PM

tjexcite on June 11, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Wow, that sounds like abject surrender. Heaven forbid we act as a free people with outrage to the indignities being perpetrated by the TSA. No, we should understand that “that is just who they are and how they act”, check carefully what their silly rule of the day is and plan accordingly.

At least for now, you do realize who hires the people who hire those thugs, right? Remember that little introduction, “We the People …”?

You can surrender, I’m more into the idea of attacking the root of the problem and stopping it. TSA is nothing but a bunch of government sanctioned thugs. Yeah, they are doing a job — so were some other historical figures perpetrating atrocities in the past. They had wives and children that they went home to every night also and had to put bread on the table as well. Doesn’t mean that the jobs they were, or are, doing are the right things to be doing.

AZfederalist on June 11, 2011 at 12:37 PM

This is exactly why I have stopped flying altogether.
Plus tickets are insanely expensive bcs I live in ND. Most flights are almost $600 RT.
My daughter is flying to Louisville this summer where I will pick her up to take her & the baby to my grandma’s. $570 going thru Minneapolis.
I pray she does not have to go thru this utter BS.
Bismarck & Louisville are small airports.

Badger40 on June 11, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Another “Yay!!!!!” for mom & dad.

I hope & pray Drew forgot all about this idiocy quickly.

I read story after story about our men & women in uniform who do heroic, selfless deeds for their brothers & sisters and wonder “Where do we find people like this?”

And then I read a story like this one and I wonder – where did TSA find people like this?

And Fearless Leader thinks these TSA yahoos should be allowed to unionize …..

BD57 on June 11, 2011 at 12:45 PM

These constant stories about people being deprived of items while trying to board just begs for UPS or FedEx to jump at the opportunity and open a kiosk in the terminals.

ButterflyDragon on June 11, 2011 at 12:52 PM

In that case is should have been used on that agent’s head.

I know that trick too. Mom’s have to plan ahead after all.

mizflame98 on June 11, 2011 at 1:04 PM

I pray she does not have to go thru this utter BS.
Bismarck & Louisville are small airports.

Badger40 on June 11, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Even the smaller airports have the boneheads, I was in Fargo last month, watched them groping the crap out of an 8 year old kid…

We all felt so much safer after that…morons…absolute morons

Tim Zank on June 11, 2011 at 1:14 PM

TSA’a sole purpose is to harass Americans.

pat on June 11, 2011 at 1:17 PM

TSA’a sole purpose is to harass Americans.

pat on June 11, 2011 at 1:17 PM

This.

So that the stupid among us will “feel safer” knowing that the TSA is on the job.

AZfederalist on June 11, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Are we really just going to grumble in our soup and take this? What a sad state we’re in.

ronsfi on June 11, 2011 at 1:22 PM

The obscenely stupid protocol used by the TSA makes it seem as if they want to provoke a revolt.

Cicero43 on June 11, 2011 at 1:24 PM

All it would take would be for one alert POTUS, who became aware of and concerned about incidences such as this, to simply say “OK, cut that sh!t out”. But that would not fit into the long-range plans for subjugation of the population.

Yoop on June 11, 2011 at 1:28 PM

November 2010:

Sarah Palin jumped into the debate over new airport security measures this evening with two Twitter messages calling on the TSA to implement what she called “profiling” at airports. Her first tweet: “TSA: why politically incorrect 2 profile anyone re: natl security issues? We profile individuals/suspects in other situations! Profile away.”

Tell them how it’s done Sarah!

Roy Rogers on June 11, 2011 at 1:34 PM

When is a presidential candidate fgoing to come out challenges the TSA’s security theater openly, and call for a total review of their policies?

I think the first candidate who calls for an end to security theater, and its replacement with, you know, real security measures designed to enhance security, as opposed to “security” measures whose real goals are political, i.e., to convince the public you are doing something about security without ever admitting the true nature of the threat. Admitting who the enemy is and dealing with that enemy forthrightly would have disastrous consequences for Obama’s idiotic PC political narrative, and its is better to inconvenience millions of people every day than to do that.

But the American people aren’t stupid, and the drip, drip, drip of these outrageous invasions of privacy, mind-boggling departures from common sense, and simple stupidity is having an effect. (My favorite is still the “Don’t touch my junk!” guy, who was told to leave the security zone, and then told to re-enter it once the idiots realized they had no further jurisdiction over him once he was outside it. Fortunately he was smart enough not to re-enter, or he would have wound up in custody.)

I think the first candidate who makes reform of this insanity an issue will get a lot of support on that issue.

novaculus on June 11, 2011 at 1:37 PM

This is completely reflective of the left’s view of the mentally challenged. Just ask Owebama about his bowling……

rbendana on June 11, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Thank God I don’t have to fly. For those who do, you have my sympathy.

Yakko77 on June 11, 2011 at 2:12 PM

And people wonder why I absolutely REFUSE to fly unless forced to by my job.

My wife and I have to go to Philadelphia next week to visit with a medical specialist, and despite the fact that it is a nearly 9 hour drive, we are driving. I refuse to expose my pregnant wife to this kind of abuse, and I refuse to expose my unborn child to “secret” levels of millimeter wave radiation.

Of course, with The Zero driving gas prices through the roof by intentionally preventing any of the oil drilling he can, it’s going to be expensive. But I am willing to do it to protect my wife from TSA goons.

wearyman on June 11, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Badger40 on June 11, 2011 at 12:39 PM

I recently had to pick up a passenger from our local commuter airport (2 flights a day on a 24 pax twin prop). Since TSA didn’t have the scanners everybody going into the secure area got the TSA 10 finger pat down. So I wouldn’t count on the fact that they are going through a small airport to immunize them from TSA thugs.

chemman on June 11, 2011 at 2:25 PM

If this guy’s name was Maxwell, and the hammer was silver, they’d have a point.

The TSA are the mall cops of national security.

Left Coast Right Mind on June 11, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Cicero43 on June 11, 2011 at 1:24 PM

This.

chemman on June 11, 2011 at 2:27 PM

This demonstrates extreme stupidity by the TSA. These people couldn’t detect a terrorist, even if the terrorist was wearing weapons on their person.

TSA are political correctness police and are doing more harm to the public than protecting the public.

This has got to stop.

Kini on June 11, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Anything and everything can be used as a weapon. You can kill a man with your finger, for that matter.

And they want to expand this to bus stations, trains and malls? If Obama gets re-elected, this will be the good ol days.

JellyToast on June 11, 2011 at 3:23 PM

This seems to be a clear violation of the American’s with Disabilities Act, which requires accommodation for those with physical or mental handicaps. The father should have been allowed to facilitate. I’m thinking a lawsuit is the proper action for the family to follow (something I’m normally against).

rmgraha on June 11, 2011 at 3:33 PM

I wonder how surreal and bizarre it will have to get before a critical mass of us understands that it’s business-as-usual that’s killing us?

J.E. Dyer on June 11, 2011 at 4:16 PM

For every big gov’t authoritarian Rino Bill O’Reilly sycophant that ever uttered the words “the gov’t ought to do something about that.”

Well here ya go. Thanks a lot.

Sammy316 on June 11, 2011 at 4:36 PM

And yet government employees, local and state as well as federal employees automatically included, just don’t understand why so many of us stoopid laypeople hold such ridiculously low opinions of government employees. Sheesh.

KendraWilder on June 11, 2011 at 4:59 PM

sprang

Tzetzes on June 11, 2011 at 5:05 PM

These tools patted down my 3 year old last Christmas. He was excited about getting on a plane to see grandma and grandpa and, as most terrorists do, he ran through the metal detector in his excitement. Sooo…pull aside the dangerous toddler and pat him down. He was none to happy and gave the agents a hell of a hard time with his screaming and carrying on. I saw no reason to intervene…they’re the professionals.

BobM88 on June 11, 2011 at 5:13 PM

BobM88 on June 11, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Actually…. Not a bad strategy… Every parent should school their children to scream at the top of their lungs that a stranger is ‘touching’ them… whenever it might happen.

And right before arriving at the airport children should be given a refresher on how to scream if a stranger ever ‘touches’ them…. parents should then just give the look ‘well, you started it’ to the groper…

Make the TSA fight for every shred of our freedom. See how many of them burn out after a few weeks of that.

RalphyBoy on June 11, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Can we just move TSA over to the Border Patrol and let the be the virtual fence? I mean, it is now easier to get across the Mexican border with a semi load of dope than it is to just fly to Disney Land with you disabled child. Something is very wrong with this nation.

MikeA on June 11, 2011 at 8:04 PM

tjexcite on June 11, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Oh, so you agree it’s a weapon? Fine. I’ll get a baseball bat, you get a plastic hammer toy… we’ll see how this fight goes.

I mean you’ll be armed, you can take me, right? this is a weapon he could use to hold someone hostage, or batter downt he flight door… or something.

Are you sure you want to defend this?

And yes I do know what is allowed. My dad with a hip replacement will always set off the scanner. Should he not have a hip replacement? Should he somehow try to have it removed for flights? They have no means to have him document his disability and allow for it.. .they’ll just single him out every time he flies… that’s defensible?

Also true if you’re going to be raped… don’t complain about the rape, just lie back and relax. It’ll be over soon, why are you all complaining?

It’s not like you have a right not to be grope,d, you’re guilty of wanting to get on a plane; that’s all the guilt they need for a full inspection of you right there.

Guilty of a non-crime is good enough, right?

I am now onto thinking that those who accept and encourage the erosion of our rights are more at fault than the TSA. I mean the TSA is simply doing the government power grab; that’s what they do. But defending their power grab? How could that benefit you?

gekkobear on June 11, 2011 at 9:37 PM

gekkobear on June 11, 2011 at 9:37 PM

I like the cut of your jib.

BobM88 on June 11, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Dee2008 on June 11, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Ah, there’s the rub.

DrMagnolias on June 12, 2011 at 7:03 AM

MikeA on June 11, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Ther aren’t that many white nuns, old ladies, little children, and US military veterans who are illegally crossing the border for the TSA to be effective in this role.

Vic on June 12, 2011 at 7:56 AM

The TSA retards now have a hammer to play with, for security.

hip shot on June 12, 2011 at 9:13 AM

TSA in Detroit metro is nothing but a jobs program for large minority people with an attitude. Which is probably what TSA was designed as anyway.

ctmom on June 12, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Fallen Sparrow on June 11, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Remember, if people are afraid to fly due to patdowns and idiocy, eventually flights get cancelled and there is less climate change. See?

winoceros on June 15, 2011 at 7:58 AM

My nickel says that some of the Detroit-based TSA workers have a little too much genetic homogeneity in their backgrounds, if you will, to recognize mental retardation when they see it.

I can just see the thinking: Well, since it would be totally within reason for a Muslim terrorist to use a retarded man as a human explosive, we’d better pat this guy down. Assuming they could use this kind of thinking (doubtful) I can see why they chose him.

winoceros on June 15, 2011 at 8:00 AM

tjexcite on June 11, 2011 at 12:14 PM

I think of all those great administrative-type Jews in Poland who told all the Warsaw residents to just ‘go along to get along’ and everything would be okay. Just know what you’re dealing with and don’t make any fuss.

*spits*