FreedomWorks chief: If Romney’s the nominee, tea partiers might have to stay home

posted at 4:10 pm on June 10, 2011 by Allahpundit

Don’t look now, but between this and Amy Kremer’s comments on Fox last weekend, we’ve got a bona fide tea-party split over Mitt.

I knew that FreedomWorks was intent on torpedoing him in the primary but I didn’t think they’d take it quite this far quite so soon. Better Obama II than Romney I?

If Mitt Romney wins the Republican nomination for president, Tea Party activists may not show up at all to vote in the general election, one leading group associated with the Tea Party movement is warning.

“I think that’s a potential problem,” said Matt Kibbe, FreedomWorks’ president, during a wide-ranging interview with reporters at The Daily Caller.

He also warned that if Republicans nominate another “John McCain,” activists might even vote third party in 2012.

“I believe in redemption, but at some point, you sort of give up,” he said. “And we’ve given up on Mitt Romney.”

An idle threat? Potentially not:

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey of Likely U.S. Voters finds that in a three-way congressional contest with a Tea Party candidate on the ballot, the Democrat picks up 40% of the vote. The Republican earns 21% support, while nearly as many (18%) favor the Tea Party candidate. Twenty-one percent (21%), however, remain undecided…

In the new survey, the Tea Party candidate draws 28% support from GOP voters, while 85% of Democrats back their party’s candidate. Just 45% of Republicans support the Republican candidate in the three-way matchup. Among voters not affiliated with either of the major parties, 15% like the Republican, 29% the Democrat and 25% the Tea Party candidate.

When asked about Romney’s rivals, Kibbe told the DC that Cain could be vulnerable for his TARP position and that, while he likes Palin, “she needs to prove that she can study up.” Where does that leave FreedomWorks at the moment, then? With Bachmann? I’m skeptical given their approach to the Castle/O’Donnell primary in Delaware. While other tea-party heroes like Palin and DeMint lined up behind O’D, Kibbe told the Christian Science Monitor at the time, “We stayed out of that race because we are not convinced that Christine O’Donnell can win.” Bachmann’s a longer shot for the nomination than O’Donnell was in her Senate race, so presumably she’s not an option for them. Maybe they’re holding out for Perry to jump in? Or maybe, per their O’Donnell logic, they’re going to invest in Pawlenty as a conservative yet electable candidate.

It’s worth flagging this if for no other reason than as a sneak preview of how wrenching Romney’s nomination could be within the party, especially among activists. The possibility of people staying home in protest is real but it’s already priced into his stock; what hasn’t been fully considered yet is the prospect of rifts opening within the grassroots and between tea party groups as people choose sides between the Kibbe and Kremer approaches. Any group that bolsters Obama’s chances by walking away will be so vilified afterwards that they’ll be essentially committing themselves to a fully third-party identity. Maybe FreedomWorks will think better of that strategy — Kibbe could simply be bluffing to nudge people towards nominating someone else — but “we’ve given up on Mitt Romney” is pretty high-stakes.

Update: Tabitha Hale of FreedomWorks tweets that we shouldn’t jump to any conclusions:

The piece didn’t say it was “purity” or Obama at all. In fact, Kibbe actually said opposite – that he was CONCERNED about that.

We’re willing to rally, right now we’re not sure around who – but this is the time to duke it out.

Okay, but if there’s a chance the group might grudgingly support Romney in the interest of beating Obama, why drop “we’ve given up on Mitt Romney” on him now?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 5

I really don’t want Mitt, but I WILL vote for him, if necessary.

pambi on June 10, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Never happen. A vote not for Romney — or any other GOP candidate — is a vote for Obama. Stop being silly, people… you have have to hold your nose and vote, but you know you’re voting for the Anti-Obama, whoever it is.

VastRightWingConspirator on June 10, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Study by BYU finds FreedomWorks endorsements alone carried significant weight in 2010. http://is.gd/HxzhJU

So this isn’t just a bluff… this really hurts Romney.

Read the full report.

tetriskid on June 10, 2011 at 4:13 PM

bbbbut, that means Obama wins

exactly. think about it.

james23 on June 10, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Yes, because electing Romney would be far worse than four more years of Obama.

BRILLIANT logic.

Especially considering that the Supreme Court doesn’t matter…

nickj116 on June 10, 2011 at 4:14 PM

nickj116 on June 10, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Romney’s Supreme picks would be just as bad as Obama’s.

tetriskid on June 10, 2011 at 4:14 PM

I’m a TEA Party supporter. Put up a conservative candidate (with a history of actions supporting conservative ideals), and you’ll get my vote. It’s that simple.

Mitt doesn’t fit that criteria.

dominigan on June 10, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Posted on the headline thread:

He’s pushed for government controlled healthcare, he’s pushed for gun control and he believes in Global Warming and ethanol subsidies.
Is that enough for you so far?

How do we judge the man if not by his past actions?

Chip on June 10, 2011 at 4:15 PM

The worst Republican in office will be better than Obama II…

COUNT IT!!

Khun Joe on June 10, 2011 at 4:15 PM

If you had a fiscally conservative president, then maybe.

But Obama in a second term would be worse, especially if had a democratic congress and senate.

Oil Can on June 10, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Freedom Works needs to be cut down to size. They do not get to claim the mantle of “voice” of the Tea Party just because they pay for the effin’ sound system at some rallies.

TC@LeatherPenguin on June 10, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Freedom Works > Dick Armey > Texas GOP > Rick Perry > social cons stalking horse.

We’re going to lose this election if we don’t all get on the same page.

Texas Gal on June 10, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Obama = bad. Romney, not so much. Easy decision.

novaculus on June 10, 2011 at 4:17 PM

I don’t see the difference between two empty suits

Kini on June 10, 2011 at 4:17 PM

If Freedomworks wants to work to get Obama elected. I say fudge them. Go ahead and register as democrats so we don’t have to worry about you.

Zaggs on June 10, 2011 at 4:17 PM

It is important for Republican voters to select wisely during the primary but quite frankly if those kids from “Are you Smarter Then a Fifth Grader” were eligible to run for president I would vote for one of them.

Anybody but Obama at this point.

Just A Grunt on June 10, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Get a clue. In this election Mitt is last election’s John.

We can’t afford the President’s recovery summers and anyone who has policies that can be confused with the President’s policies isn’t going to contrast enough with the insane administration we have now.

Speakup on June 10, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Mitt would say and do anything to get elected … and that’s the problem.

PoliTech on June 10, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Mittens may be a RINO flip flopper but at least he has flipped the right way. Freedomworks needs to get real.

TheQuestion on June 10, 2011 at 4:18 PM

but you know you’re voting for the Anti-Obama, whoever it is.

VastRightWingConspirator on June 10, 2011 at 4:13 PM

We haven’t reached that point yet and it’s ‘silly’ to pretend otherwise.

Chip on June 10, 2011 at 4:18 PM

I will not vote for Mitt Romney. If we’re going to be led by a socialist dimwit in a suit, I will cast a vote for them. Write-in or third party this time.

MadisonConservative on June 10, 2011 at 4:19 PM

The strategy of nominating weak, or even liberal (McCain), Republicans has failed.

Getting a president objectively to the left of Bush 43 is not going to solve the problems we face even if he is to the right of Obama.

So, as conservatives we should giving at least as much weight to what we can expect the candidate to do in office as we do to how “electable” they are which I presume is the primary draw Romney would attribute to himself.

18-1 on June 10, 2011 at 4:19 PM

I have to vote for someone who has basically the same beliefs as me…romney isn’t it. Can’t stomach romney care or his stance on global warming.

tinkerthinker on June 10, 2011 at 4:19 PM

I am also a Tea Partier.

The re-election of Obama will be the death-knell of America. Romney might not be great but he’s a vast improvement of Obama. I hope he doesn’t get chosen for the GOP nominee, because, among other things, the media are pushing his candidacy — which should be a warning to all Republicans (think McCain, 2008) but if he is chosen as the candidate I will vote for him because a chunk of rock would be better than Obama.

hachiban on June 10, 2011 at 4:19 PM

VastRightWingConspirator on June 10, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Never? It won’t happen if they consider what four more years of Obama will do to their country. I’ll give you that.

tgharris on June 10, 2011 at 4:19 PM

If Romney wins that primary, then the elite establishment has already won and Tea Party/regular Americans have already lost. Therefore, each Tea Party participant will have to chose the path that is the best match for his/her beliefs. Professor Jacobson of Legal Insurrection has already christened “Operation Counterweight,” which will focus on getting the most conservative team in the House and Senate to greet the President (whoever it turns out to be). If Romney prevails, he may get my vote — but my monies and energy will go into Operation Counterweight.

Mutnodjmet on June 10, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Empty threat. But Romney won’t be getting the nomination anyway. Perry will win IA and SC and thereafter the nomination. Perry/Rubio should narrowly win.

IR-MN on June 10, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Kibbe speaks only for himself. The great thing about the Tea Party is nobody is going to tell us what to do. The minute someone stands up and says he represents the Tea Party, he will be immediately discounted as a media whore. Tea Party folks have a single mission in 2012…..toss BO to the curb.

David in ATL on June 10, 2011 at 4:20 PM

If the Tea Party splits then they are traitors and even worse than the Democrats, because they understand the peril this country faces.

We simply cannot afford four more years of this idiot Obama.

Teach ‘em all a lesson and we’ll come back in 2016, may not be an option.

NoDonkey on June 10, 2011 at 4:20 PM

I will not cast a vote that I deeply, sincerely believe will make things worse. Therefore I will not vote for Romney.

Bat Chain Puller on June 10, 2011 at 4:20 PM

The so-called “moderate” wing of the party, will just have to suck it up, and help nominate someone who is acceptable to the teaparty.

After all, conservatives have been told for decades that they had to support RINO squishes in the name of “electablility”.

The shoe is on the other foot, lets see how far they can walk in them.

Rebar on June 10, 2011 at 4:21 PM

I will not vote for Mitt Romney. If we’re going to be led by a socialist dimwit in a suit, I will not cast a vote for them. Write-in or third party this time.

MadisonConservative on June 10, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Been a long week.

MadisonConservative on June 10, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Why would I bother going to the polls to make the choice between Obama and Obama Lite?

oldleprechaun on June 10, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Mitt doesn’t fit that criteria.

dominigan on June 10, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Ok..how do we go about doing that? Why don’t you go to iowa and SC and FL and make sure that happens?

Oh right. Monday morning quarterbacking is easier than actually doing something.

NoStoppingUs on June 10, 2011 at 4:23 PM

So they have to suck it up and vote for someone the rest of america wont vote for? Great idea which equals Obama wins.

Zaggs on June 10, 2011 at 4:24 PM

I do not want it to come to that decision.

Republicans and Tea Partiers (or is it Partyers?) need to work together to keep McCain 2.0 off the ballot. I cannot believe the GOP wants to lose, again.

Fallon on June 10, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Mittsy is his own worst enemy. He didn’t even have the sense to BS his way through the primaries and at least pretend to be a conservative for a few months.

Ogabe on June 10, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Especially considering that the Supreme Court doesn’t matter…

nickj116 on June 10, 2011 at 4:14 PM

You are actually insanely delusional enough to believe that Mitt the Gutless Coward will appoint anyone to the right of Anthony Kennedy to the Supreme Court, aren’t you?

It’s going to be raining Souters if Mittens is Prez.

ebrown2 on June 10, 2011 at 4:25 PM

I’d vote for Romney. If I had to. But I’m kind of a political junkie and I always vote. However, I would have zero interest in volunteering for him, talking him up, etc. I just wouldn’t have any sincerity for it. It would be McCain all over again. Sure, I voted for him (I mean, come on, the other guy was Barack Obama for God’s sake). But I didn’t do anything else but vote. McCain was a terrible candidate. Will enough moderates vote Republican if a squishy moderate like Romney gets the nomination to send Obama packing? I don’t know. But at this point, he seems like a bad choice.

Frankly, I would be more motivated to help out at election time by a Pawlenty candidacy than I would by a Romney one.

Rational Thought on June 10, 2011 at 4:25 PM

I’d rather have Obama with Republican House and Senate than Romney the other way around – Romney is Obama light anyway. I can’t vote for him. He’s a big phoney and I hate that.

NJ Red on June 10, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Romney: Motor Boat to Destruction

Obama: Jet Boat to Destruction

Take your pick.

portlandon on June 10, 2011 at 4:26 PM

“Anybody but Obama” does not suffice as an argument.

There are worse things than an Obama second term, whether or not you want to face it.

Bat Chain Puller on June 10, 2011 at 4:26 PM

I don’t see the difference between two empty suits

Kini on June 10, 2011 at 4:17 PM

You’re extremely naive.

NoStoppingUs on June 10, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Romney is so electable. /s

promachus on June 10, 2011 at 4:27 PM

but you know you’re voting for the Anti-Obama, whoever it is.

VastRightWingConspirator on June 10, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Mitt is obama-lite, so how is that gonna work…? I want a real anti-obama.

tinkerthinker on June 10, 2011 at 4:27 PM

But CK thinks he is wonderful and the right man for the GOP so we have to listen to him. He’s so smart and all/////

NJ Red on June 10, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Zaggs on June 10, 2011 at 4:24 PM

It’s a pernicious myth that a true conservative cannot win in the general election.

I’ll go one step further – unless a true conservative is nominated, 0bama will win. And that’s not Romney.

Rebar on June 10, 2011 at 4:28 PM

This “I’ll sit at home” strategy worked so well in 2006. We got the Pelosi Congress, which worked financial ruination on America.

Then, in 2008, it gave us Barack Obama, the worst President in US history.

And now some “conservatives” want a third bite at the apple.

Hopefully by 2012 they’ll have grown up and do the responsible thing – vote for the candidate most likely to defeat Barack Obama.

NoDonkey on June 10, 2011 at 4:28 PM

I’ll vote my conscience. THIRD PARTY.

joshlbetts on June 10, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Romney’s Supreme picks would be just as bad as Obama’s.

That’s absurd.

Jon0815 on June 10, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Post from the headline thread sums it up best:

I think that our future is much brighter after another Obama victory than a RINO Republican victory.

SCENARIO #1: Romney beats Obama (with Teaparty support)

Romney and Boehner agree on a “cruel” budget that cuts our $1.5 trillion/year deficit spending in half while modifying Obamacare. But the mathematics prove that this just pushes our real financial collapse back a couple of years, leaving investors and entrepreneurs unimpressed. Meanwhile, Democrats get away with pinning the continued economic stagnation on all the public workers and contractors laid off from the budget cuts as well as conservative’s “Failure to Invest in Jobs, Jobs Jobs!” Progressives promote anarchy and economic sabotage until a panicked population screams for more “temporary” government management of critical economic areas. The dollar is devalued through QE4-10, all taxes are raised and liberty is permanently lost.

SCENARIO #2: Obama beats Romney (without Teaparty support)

Obama is crippled by a conservative House that’s emboldened by the failure of both McCain and Romney to win as a moderates. Obama is forced to sign a succession of interim budgets funding only essential services, as his administration rallies the jobless into widespread civil disobedience. As this threatens to devastate the economy, the public turns against the rioters and the left, and they throw their support behind conservatives in subsequent elections. Investors and entrepreneurs see a reasonable path to financial success developing and aggressively pursue opportunities, ending unemployment.

elfman on June 10, 2011 at 2:09 PM

portlandon on June 10, 2011 at 4:30 PM

The time to fight is the primary.

The time to unite is the general.

No doubt there are others they will refuse to vote for if nominated.

D-O-P-E-S.

Akzed on June 10, 2011 at 4:31 PM

You’re extremely naive.

NoStoppingUs on June 10, 2011 at 4:26 PM

No, I real in realityville. Mitt is a carbon copy of Obama and If you can’t see that, then you’re blind.

Mitt and his cap and trade policy here.
He believes in the same policies, and he has said so.

Kini on June 10, 2011 at 4:31 PM

I don’t think Romney would win in the general. I know he is polling well now in a head-to-head matchup, but that is b/c the big knives haven’t come out yet.

Romney would face a number of problems:

1) Romneycare – Obama’s argument will be that Romney basically has the same veiws as Obama, so why bother changing?

2) evangelicals – I know we don’t like to talk about it, but a certain percentage of the GOP base may not vote for a Mormon for president, and we are not going to have a lot of room to cede votes;

3) disaffected conservatives – there will be no passion in the base for Romney, so there will be less donations, less volunteering, and probably some percentage of conservatives who sit the election out – and again, in a 50/50 nation, we don’t havea lot of room to leave votes on the table;

4) Romney has no personality – so he won’t get independents excited to vote for him. People who don’t pay attention to politics – the mushy middle – vote more on emotion than philosophy or policy, so in this 24/7 media culture, a snoozer like Romney is not likely to win the battle for independents;

5) Romney has no fire – I just don’t believe he will run a very good campaign – he will not hit back at Obama hard and will basically run a milquetoast McCain II campaign that won’t gain traction;

6) The media is going to go all out against him. Right now Romney polls well because he basically is the “generic republican”. Once his negatives go up from the media onslaught, he is not going to recover.

I don’t want him for the nominee because I don’t think he is conservative at all, but if he is the nominee, I’d vote for him. But I am not going to be happy about it. And, like I said, I would lay down money that Romney doesn’t win in a general election against Obama.

Monkeytoe on June 10, 2011 at 4:31 PM

portlandon on June 10, 2011 at 4:30 PM

OT – Are you in Portland, OR?

Akzed on June 10, 2011 at 4:31 PM

It seems they’re hell bent on losing with another spongy RINO establishment approved lapdog.

The Dems have their Soros to win

The GOP has their Roves, and Krauthammers as yokes around their necks.
Go Teas Party -the GOP really doesn’t care -happy to be number two and still go to the cocktail parties.

Don L on June 10, 2011 at 4:32 PM

If Romney is the nominee, America is doomed. Why even vote then?

joe_doufu on June 10, 2011 at 4:32 PM

OT – Are you in Portland, OR?

Akzed on June 10, 2011 at 4:31 PM

portlandon on June 10, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Those who refuse to vote for Romney might as well pull the lever for Obama. The “ideal” candidate comes around once in a blue moon…in the meantime, it’s the lesser of two evils.

changer1701 on June 10, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Then, in 2008, it gave us Barack Obama, the worst President in US history.

NoDonkey on June 10, 2011 at 4:28 PM

No, that was John “Don’t worry about Barack Obama, worry instead about principled conservatism” McCain who gave us Barry on a platter, plus the RINO poltroons in the the media and political elite who were more than happy to drink the Lightworker’s bathwater.

ebrown2 on June 10, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Too much hand wringing going on, when the primaries are over then it will be time to consider. I don’t give Mitt the automatic position of being our candidate nor would I rule out a strong conservative third party candidate as giving Obama the automatic 2nd. term some people seem to think is inevitable.

fourdeucer on June 10, 2011 at 4:34 PM

I “held my nose” and voted for McCain — I won’t do it again. If Romney is the nominee I’ll stay home for the first time. I don’t think Romney will save this country’s economy, given his policy positions.
If we’re going to hell in a handbasket, I’d rather it happen faster under Obama and sit back and wait for the revolution, as Jeff Goldberg @ Protein Wisdom stated. I’m all in. >:/

CambellBrown on June 10, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Rebar

The rest of America is ready for a fiscal con. What’s so difficult about nominating a fiscal con?

blink

Who? Bachmann? Nope. If she won her home state it would be a minor miracle. Perry would have a better shot, but his holy roller attitude isn’t going to win over alot of people.
As for nominating a fiscal con, there’s no problem with that. Thing is the TP’ers have gotten preachy and simply being a fiscal conservative is no longer enough.

Zaggs on June 10, 2011 at 4:35 PM

elfman on June 10, 2011 at 2:09 PM

portlandon on June 10, 2011 at 4:30 PM

nice preview, spot on!

tinkerthinker on June 10, 2011 at 4:35 PM

That’s absurd.

Jon0815 on June 10, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Earl Warren, Henry Blackmun and David Souter would like to have a word with you…

ebrown2 on June 10, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Mitt and his cap and trade policy here.
He believes in the same policies, and he has said so.

Kini on June 10, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Ok. That’s one. Oh oh oh. ROMNEYCARE. Thats two. OH UMM THEY BOTH HAVE PENISES. That’s three.

What else am I missing? School me!

NoStoppingUs on June 10, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Post from the headline thread sums it up best:

SCENARIO #1: Romney beats Obama (with Teaparty support)

SCENARIO #2: Obama beats Romney (without Teaparty support)

elfman on June 10, 2011 at 2:09 PM

portlandon on June 10, 2011 at 4:30 PM

SCENARIO #3: Obama wins second term.

Kennedy, Scalia, and Thomas retire from the Supreme Court and Obama gets to replace all three of them. The court is then a 7-2 liberal court for the next 50 years and every liberal policy rejected by voters is made law by the court. Buh-bye 1st Amendment. Buh-bye 2nd Amendment. Buh-bye all property rights. Buh-bye America.

Rational Thought on June 10, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Romney’s Supreme picks would be just as bad as Obama’s.

tetriskid on June 10, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Do you really think Mitt would have given us Sotomayor and Kagan?

Think again.

John Deaux on June 10, 2011 at 4:36 PM

I will hold my nose and vote for Romney or anyone else who gets the nomination. That’s what I was forced to do with McAmnesty and I WILL do it again. I won’t be happy about it but I will do it.

That said…

Romney is an absolute puke with all of the charm and appeal that McAmnesty had. An establishment candidate through and through (excuse me while I barf).

This really isn’t my problem, though. It is up to someone else to be the better candidate and beat the crap out of Romney in the primaries and to mop the floor with President Dumbass in the general election. My job is to vote for the better candidate. At this point that candidate is anyone other than the current officeholder.

trapeze on June 10, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Yes, so the GOP better worry about the TP’s opinion.

blink on June 10, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Seems to me the GOP is listening to the TP and has agreed that the core principle is fiscal and small government. Not the social issues that the so-cons like Freedom Works, Tony Perkins, and DeMint et al keep trying to shove on the TP agenda. Seems to me it is the social cons who are not listening to the TPers.

We have got to take either the Senate or the WH and hold the House of Rep in 2012. Who ever gets us there is who has my vote.

Texas Gal on June 10, 2011 at 4:37 PM

There are several cogent, well-thought-out arguments in this thread and the Headlines on why Romney would be worse than Obama. This is the side I’m on.

It would be nice to see some equally cogent (and civil) dissent…

Bat Chain Puller on June 10, 2011 at 4:37 PM

FreedomWorks is Dick Armey’s group. Dick Armey is a big-time open borders, pro-amnesty guy. So he probably wants the nominee to be Perry, who is also soft on illegals.

Jon0815 on June 10, 2011 at 4:37 PM

portlandon on June 10, 2011 at 4:32 PM

I was there Mon-Wed. What a gorgeous city, we were downtown and at the convention center. Used the free MAX shuttle, pretty neat for a non-taxpayer!

Lotsa crazy looking people on the streets though. I get around, and have never seen the likes. What’s up with that?

Akzed on June 10, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Do you really think Mitt would have given us Sotomayor and Kagan?

Think again.

John Deaux

Exactly. Who believes McCain would have made those 2 picks?

Zaggs on June 10, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Mitt and his cap and trade policy here.
He believes in the same policies, and he has said so.

Kini on June 10, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Funny. Back in 2008, you didn’t seem to mind Romney..

When you whittle it down, the long list gets shorter.
The endorsement many not mean much to some, but it’s helping me come to a decision. Not that I wasn’t leaning that way since Fred dropped out. So, I’m about to be smitten.

Kini on January 29, 2008 at 11:29 AM

How’s that “realityville” for you?….

NoStoppingUs on June 10, 2011 at 4:40 PM

oldleprechaun on June 10, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Good for you. You’re just the type of “conservative” Democrats are hoping for.

Rod on June 10, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Texas Gal on June 10, 2011 at 4:37 PM

You got that right.

Alana on June 10, 2011 at 4:41 PM

If there is actually a three way contest and it is a conservative against two progressives, I think that the polls will swing wildly in our favor once voters understand the two options. I think that the tea party will end up with >40% while the big government types will split with <20% to each of the legacy progressive parties. The D and R progressives will be in limbo for eternity unless they join forces against the new dominant party.

Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part but the tea party has been pretty good about fighting to fulfill my wishes so I feel pretty good about it.

FloatingRock on June 10, 2011 at 4:41 PM

As Ann Coulter said on Hannity last night after he asked if she’d vote for Romney, Ann answered that she’d vote for Charlie Sheen if he was running against Obama.

Romney would be far easier to vote for than McCain was.

By the way, who appointed any of these Tea Party groups as the official spokespeople for the Tea Party?

iamsaved on June 10, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Just the other day, the Tea Party said they would vote for the GOP nominee, including Romney…this just goes to show that no one really speaks for the Tea Party.

If people do not want Romney to get the nomination, they need to come up with an electable alternative.

But who is that? The RINO hunters went after Daniels, even though he is a conservative and they also have shown only tepid support for Pawlenty. And I don’t think Cain can get elected.

Will Perry be good enough for them if he gets in? I wonder.

Terrye on June 10, 2011 at 4:44 PM

I won’t vote for Romney.

Bugler on June 10, 2011 at 4:44 PM

iamsaved on June 10, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Exactly. No one did. There is no official spokesperson for the Tea Party Movement. There never was, and there shouldn’t be…

joejm65 on June 10, 2011 at 4:45 PM

How’s that “realityville” for you?….

NoStoppingUs on June 10, 2011 at 4:40 PM

A lot can change in two years, and Mitt has repeatedly disappointed me since then. Today, Mitt sounds more and more like Obama, both in policy and in social issues.

Back then, I still had my doubts about Mitt, but McLame and the others weren’t better prospects. The only real candidate wasn’t running.

Kini on June 10, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Akzed on June 10, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Nice. You got some decent weather atleast! We’ve had the 2nd coolest spring in 40 years, and the wettest spring in 40 years!

Yeah, Portland is a beautiful city. Our MAX trains are free within the “Fairless Square” area. Did you get to “Portland’s Livingroom” the Courthouse Square?

Glad you enjoyed our city!

portlandon on June 10, 2011 at 4:45 PM

I will vote for the most conservative candidate in the primaries. I will vote for the nominee in the general–even if I have to hold my nose. I will not help Zero by sitting it out.

stvnscott on June 10, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Mitt doesn’t fit that criteria.

dominigan on June 10, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Give that man/woman their cupee-doll, dead on target.

Obama/Romney-care, check.
Cap & Trade, check.
There may be more, there may not…irrelevent, those two items alone doom the American economy, way of life and any possible concept of liberty. Any differences beyond those points are moot..

Archimedes on June 10, 2011 at 4:46 PM

My comment from the Headlines thread:

Best case scenario if Romney wins: he serves for four years “reducing the rate of increase” in spending and debt as the dollar steadily declines, our enemies get stronger, hopelessness and despair worsens, another six million babies go into the dumpster, and then Romney gets replaced by a liberal Democrat in 2017. Because by that time the Tea Party will be extinct and “conservatism” utterly discredited.

joe_doufu on June 10, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Why would I want to cast a vote of approval for that?
If Romney is the nominee, I wash my hands of all that follows.

joe_doufu on June 10, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Agree with the sentiment of Freedomworks.
Not sure about the strategy.

AshleyTKing on June 10, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Romney is my LAST choice in the primary. ANYONE but him.

But in the general against Ofilth? Yeah, I’d vote for him.

KeepOhioRed on June 10, 2011 at 4:49 PM

No staying home. We’ll vote for the most conservative candidate on the ballot and it won’t be Mitt or Barry.

Valiant on June 10, 2011 at 4:50 PM

I mean I’ll still vote for down ticket races. But no way I’m voting for a socialist whether their name is Obama, Romney, or Pawlenty. The letter next to their name is irrelevant.

Nelsen on June 10, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Will Perry be good enough for them if he gets in? I wonder.

Terrye on June 10, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Yeah me too, especially when he is forced to reveal his position on immigration.

Texas Gal on June 10, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Matt Kibbe needs to stop trying to cut off his nose to spite his face. Even Romney (whom I don’t support) is better than Obama any day. Either think beyond your nose, Matt, or sit down and shut up.

College Prof on June 10, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Romney would be far easier to vote for than McCain was.

iamsaved on June 10, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Not me. I don’t like either but I’d give McCain the edge, and not only because of his military service but also because there’s no such thing as McCainCare. Even so, McCain’s edge is only slight because he has a lot of progressive baggage as well.

FloatingRock on June 10, 2011 at 4:52 PM

joe_doufu on June 10, 2011 at 1:06 PM

This.

No way anyone can vote for Romney and tell me they’re a conservative with a straight face.

Nelsen on June 10, 2011 at 4:52 PM

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again. Knowing what Obama’s done to this country, anyone who says they’ll sit out the election or vote third party if Romney’s the nominee is full of crap.

Pcoop on June 10, 2011 at 4:53 PM