Breitbart on Baldwin: He could do better than to call me “D-bag-in-chief”

posted at 12:10 pm on June 10, 2011 by Tina Korbe

After he defended Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-NY) as a “modern, high-functioning man” in a Huffington Post column, ’30 Rock’ funny man Alec Baldwin took to Twitter to criticize his critics, calling them by the oh-so-sophisticated and eloquently descriptive term “d-bags.” But he reserved a top title for conservative commentator and Weinergate whistleblower Andrew Breitbart, calling him “the D-Bag-In-Chief.” Breitbart’s not offended, though, The Daily Caller reports.

“He’s a comedic savant,” Breitbart told TheDC of the actor. “He is perfect in the realm of comedic acting yet he falls short in all other human endeavors.”

Though Breitbart didn’t take Baldwin’s jab personally, the right-wing powerhouse expected more of the Emmy Award winner.

“I expect more from him, it’s sort of a bleh insult,” Breitbart said. “I guess that’s what happens when you don’t have a room of ‘30 Rock’ writers working for you.”

Credit to Breitbart for his skillful handling of Baldwin’s childish tweeting. He managed to so simultaneously compliment and insult Baldwin that he neither alienated those who appreciate the actor’s comedic skill (at least, he didn’t alienate me and Baldwin makes me laugh more than I care to admit) nor did he let Baldwin off the hook for immaturity. In other words, Breitbart made mincemeat of the man, who, in arrogance, assumed he had something to add to the story over and against the conservative journalist who kept the news cycle humming for the past two weeks with a salacious tidbit that turned out to have more significance than some (myself included!) initially suspected. What would Baldwin have had Breitbart do? Sit on the story? Weiner’s bulge-broadcasting was never an appealing piece of news, but every successive day confirmed it as true and relevant.

As Gwen Ifill over at The National Journal put it, this was a hard week to be a news snob.

I could blame Anthony Weiner, the New York congressman whose spectacular, Twitter-fueled political implosion was impossible to ignore.

I could blame the cable networks, who, absent the Weiner story, had little else to fill 24 hours with, aside from fires and the Casey Anthony trial. …

Or I could blame no one. News is news. And we don’t simply stop covering it because we find it personally distasteful. If that were the case, most of us would close up shop indefinitely.

Instead, we have little choice but to take note of “The Story Everyone is Talking About,” and search for ways to find a larger lesson in it.

Ifill’s still looking for an answer to the deeper meaning of the Weinergate scandal, but I think she hit on it in her first sentence. It doesn’t pay to be snobbish about this stuff. Had Baldwin but had the sense to see it, he would have recognized it was a hard week to be a Hollywood snob, too. That’s the thing about Breitbart: He’s arrogant and he’s intelligent, but he’s the anti-elitist, the anti-intelligentsia. And that’s why, on some level, he’s more successful even than Baldwin believes himself to be — because he’s free to follow the truth, wherever it takes him.

Comments

funny man Alec Baldwin

I don’t find him funny at all.

Rebar on June 10, 2011 at 12:13 PM

I guess Alec has some pretty good practice insulting people. Talked with your daughter lately?

reddevil on June 10, 2011 at 12:14 PM

I cannot stand this horrible man. Sh!t for brains.

NJ Red on June 10, 2011 at 12:17 PM

It’s not like there are any wars to cover, or a misery index to discuss, or…aw, nevermind, nothing to see here but a Weiner, move along folks.

DrAllecon on June 10, 2011 at 12:17 PM

…search for ways to find a larger lesson in it.

No searching needed, Gwenny. Don’t cheat on your spouse and don’t engage in activities that would embarrass you or humiliate your spouse.

Blake on June 10, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Mr. Baldwin is the perfect example of the definitions of wit and delivery. Lacking the first and skilled in the second.

Cindy Munford on June 10, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Baldwin’s a selfish little pig.

stefanite on June 10, 2011 at 12:18 PM

He was in one of the best SNL skits ever.

John the Libertarian on June 10, 2011 at 12:19 PM

That’s the thing about Breitbart: He’s arrogant and he’s intelligent…

I’ve met Andrew Breitbart. He’s not arrogant. He’s certainly self-confident, but that’s not the same thing. The word has different implications, so if you want to explain the context of your point further, feel free.

rrpjr on June 10, 2011 at 12:20 PM

I think he’s really hilarious as is Tina Fey – but I am accustomed to being disappointed by the personal politics of my entertainment favorites.

Queen0fCups on June 10, 2011 at 12:20 PM

So having any morals at all, makes a person a snob now, that’s laughable.

Dr Evil on June 10, 2011 at 12:21 PM

He was good in Beetlejuice and Hunt for Red October.

PBoilermaker on June 10, 2011 at 12:21 PM

I never understood Alec Baldwin to be funny. I have never watched his show.
The times he has hosted SNL (the old days), he was okay.
However, I think the real funny brother is Daniel. I love him on Smoking Gun’s show on Tru.

carbon_footprint on June 10, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Love 30 Rock. Love Alec. Do not love his politics.

blatantblue on June 10, 2011 at 12:24 PM

send in the clowns…
don’t bother, they’re here…

mjbrooks3 on June 10, 2011 at 12:25 PM

I’d like to shake Andrew’s hand and buy him a drink… He’s a GREAT American!!

Khun Joe on June 10, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Ifil’s the moron who first twittered derisively about Sarah Palin (along with the lefty nutroots)for using the phrase “Don’t party yet like it’s 1773″ implying that Palin was an idiot for not saying “1776″.
When later informed that the Boston Tea Party was in 1773 she tried to cover herself with some lame cover of “err…I knew that..I was..uh …just noting it”

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on June 10, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Breitbart should ask Baldwin to write a op-ed for BigHollywood (in the interest of free speech and all)

kringeesmom on June 10, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Breitbart rocks. He and Mark Steyn are my two favorite conservative men. That being said it’s hard to believe that the juvenile Baldwin is serious about a Mayorial run.

Buy Danish on June 10, 2011 at 12:30 PM

So, Gwen is a news snob and is looking for a way to ignore the news, hide the news, paper the news over, or distract from the news, and is coming up empty so she’s asking readers to help her out?

How about you blame yourself, Gwen?

BTW, thanks for letting people know you are as untrustworthy as around news as Weiner is around under-aged girls.

Dusty on June 10, 2011 at 12:32 PM

“D-Bag-in-chief?”

Not “a rude, thoughtless little pig?”

I’m not feeling the love …

RedPepper on June 10, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Actually, he can’t.

It must be that he reads that word so much when people are referring to him that it has become a primary part of his vocabulary.

Hening on June 10, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Buy Danish on June 10, 2011 at 12:30 PM

He lives in a bubble where he’s constantly told how great he is despite being a loudmouthed *sshole.

He probably thinks that people will vote for him on celebrity appeal alone, despite a total lack of qualification for the job.

If he gets the job, I’m wondering what the over-under is on New York City going broke again like it did in the mid-70s.

teke184 on June 10, 2011 at 12:33 PM

He was good in Beetlejuice and Hunt for Red October.

PBoilermaker on June 10, 2011 at 12:21 PM

The producer of HFRO was considering a sequel until they discovered that Baldwin can no longer go through a submarine hatch.

slickwillie2001 on June 10, 2011 at 12:36 PM

I think Breitbart could be the king of new media, but he doesn’t act in the disciplined, rationaal ways of a leader. I don’t mind his lack of filter, something he shares with Roger Ailes. But the same unchecked emotionalism that enabled the Clarence Thomas hearings to transform his life could sabotage his success as it has for Glenn Beck.

Terrie on June 10, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Alec should just stay in the business of entertaining the masses.

upinak on June 10, 2011 at 12:39 PM

rrpjr on June 10, 2011 at 12:20 PM

True.

the_nile on June 10, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Yes, Baldwin’s a liberal a##hat, but I still think he’s great on 30 Rock.

If I were to give up watching entertainment (movies, tv shows) put out by liberal jerks, I would unfortunately pretty much have to give up on such entertainment.

Monkeytoe on June 10, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Did Baldwin threaten to meet up with Breitbart in person and “straighten his a55 out,” or does he only do that with little girls?

saint kansas on June 10, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Just another stupid actor.

Ward Cleaver on June 10, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Although I am sure she tried to ignore as best she could.

jeffn21 on June 10, 2011 at 12:47 PM

He was in one of the best SNL skits ever.

John the Libertarian on June 10, 2011 at 12:19 PM

..oh, please! Pedestrian double entendre at best, juvenile twaddle at worst. You are bereft of taste (as is Baldwin).

The War Planner on June 10, 2011 at 12:47 PM

The larger lesson? How about Weiner is a cad, and Democrats are hypocrites?

BuckeyeSam on June 10, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Well, Andrew, at least he is nicer to you than he is to his family. He calls them much worse names.

I don’t watch entertainment that stars people that are loud outspoken leftists, so I wouldn’t know if Baldwin can be funny or not. I do go to extra effort to see stuff with his conservative brother Stephen, though.

LegendHasIt on June 10, 2011 at 12:52 PM

STFU and entertain me. You’re really not smart enough for anything else.

Whenever this loon opens his pie-hole, he reminds us what a dope he is.

You’re a trained monkey Alec….bang your cymbals together and make me laugh….I’m not interested in your fringe political views.

Tim_CA on June 10, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Alec always struck me as a sad, bitter, little man trying far too hard to be relevant and talented.

He smacks of effort.

Christien on June 10, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Glengary Glen Ross was classic…

… but Baldwin is an as%clown.

Seven Percent Solution on June 10, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Excellent actor…lost as a betsy bug person…

kingsjester on June 10, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Breitbart on Baldwin: He could do better than to call me “D-bag-in-chief”

No. He can’t unless someone gives him the words and tells him how to say it.

kim roy on June 10, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Glengary Glen Ross was classic…

… but Baldwin is an as%clown.

Seven Percent Solution on June 10, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Amazing cameo by Baldwin. He was only onscreen for about 8 minutes, but man did he own that entire movie with just that one scene.

“Put…the…coffee…down!”

Doughboy on June 10, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Deer Miss Ifill,

The deeper meaning is this: If you keep your weiner in your pants you seriously reduce the chance of stepping on it.

I R A Darth Aggie on June 10, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Everyone should see Glengary Glen Ross.

carbon_footprint on June 10, 2011 at 1:08 PM

STFU and entertain me. You’re really not smart enough for anything else.

Whenever this loon opens his pie-hole, he reminds us what a dope he is.

Tim_CA on June 10, 2011 at 12:53 PM

100%

Just because these people have a camera on them for their jobs think that their opinion is more important than the guy down the street’s opinion.

No, it’s not, but they just can’t understand that and that a good portion of us don’t care and wish they’d just be quiet and “bang their cymbals” because if we wanted someone’s opinion, we’d ask someone we think is smart and we respect.

kim roy on June 10, 2011 at 1:09 PM

That his radar zooms in to the liberal hornets’ nests is what makes them sizzle.

Breitbart is a national treasure.

Schadenfreude on June 10, 2011 at 1:11 PM

I find his acting ability sorely lacking, like that of many of his peers.

Christien on June 10, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Breitbart simply joins a list that includes Henry Hyde, Sean Hannity and Alec’s daughter of people who’ve been publicly ranted at by the anger management issue-plague actor. It would almost be fun to see Baldwin run for mayor of New York, because he wouldn’t even make it through the primary without his temper would go off against fellow Democrats not supporting his candidacy.

jon1979 on June 10, 2011 at 1:14 PM

It doesn’t pay to be snobbish about this stuff.

If that is truly the case then more people should be reporting on this…

Underage #Weinergate: The Silence of The Press II.

As Aaron Worthing put it here

what we are trying to do is get the investigation going. like i think we are very likely to report this to the appropriate law enforcement officials. They will be able to learn things we can’t.

freedomplow on June 10, 2011 at 1:33 PM

AB rules!

petefrt on June 10, 2011 at 1:34 PM

The War Planner on June 10, 2011 at 12:47 PM

The Blogosphere:
Love the free exchange of ideas; hate the fact that people routinely feel at liberty to behave in ways that might result in a good, hard smack if uttered face to face.

CaptFlood on June 10, 2011 at 1:57 PM

It was completely predictable that the Looney Left would blame Andrew Breitbart and others for Weiner’s predicament instead of blaming Weiner himself for unbelievably irresponsible, inexplicable actions.

It’s amazing to me that after going to great lengths to defend Weiner by concocting elaborate conspiracy theories about him being hacked, they still defend him even though he lied to their face, allowed them to stick their necks out and be made to look completely insane. In fact, they continued defense shows them to be just that, insane.

TheBigOldDog on June 10, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Breitbart is a national treasure.

Schadenfreude on June 10, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Amen. There’s a handful of people we simply couldn’t do without.

TheBigOldDog on June 10, 2011 at 2:15 PM

The only Baldwin brother worth keeping is Stephen. He is not as good looking as Alec “use to be” but he apparently got the only brain in the family.

SgtRed on June 10, 2011 at 3:12 PM

…the right-wing powerhouse…

Breitbart’s right wing? Huh. I don’t think so.

Fallon on June 10, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Baldwin is just another Hollywood commie bag of wind.
He said if Bush won he would leave America.

WAAAAAAA HE’s STILL HERE.

Just another democrat liar.

concernedsenior on June 10, 2011 at 3:33 PM

carbon_footprint on June 10, 2011 at 1:08 PM

I tried to watch it. I found the ceaseless foul language to be too much.

DrMagnolias on June 10, 2011 at 4:20 PM

SgtRed on June 10, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Alec needs liposuction on his face so he can open his eyes.

slickwillie2001 on June 10, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Yawn. 56 comments so far. You can tell Alec Baldwin really moves the meter with conservatives. Haven’t watched 5 minutes of 30 Rock.

Hummer53 on June 10, 2011 at 5:20 PM

John the Libertarian on June 10, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Thank you for reminding me why I never click on links from Hot Air posters.

You people are great conservatives, smart, witty etc… (well, John is a libertarian…)

But without fail, nobody ever posts a link worth clicking on!

scotash on June 10, 2011 at 7:22 PM

Breitbart’s retorts almost certainly sprang from the man’s keen mind then and there. Will the future Mayor of NYC dare to engage?

Please, Oh Please do it!

exdeadhead on June 10, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Was it ” rude thoughtless pig” or was it
I am thinking to myself in other countries they are laughing at us twenty four hours a day and I’m thinking to myself if we were in other countries, we would all right now, all of us together, all of us together would go down to Washington and we would stone Henry Hyde to death! We would stone him to death Wait! Shut up! Shut up! No shut up! I’m not finished. We would stone Henry Hyde to death and we would go to their homes and we’d kill their wives and their children. We would kill their families.”
Yeah this guy just cracks me up. Between overrated Tina and this clown you would have to pay me to watch 30 c0ck. Funny writers or not.

Greed on June 11, 2011 at 12:29 AM

Baldwin and Obama have something very important in common. The only time either one makes a literate statement is when they are reading something written by someone else.

volsense on June 11, 2011 at 10:32 AM