Bachmann consultant Ed Rollins: Palin hasn’t been serious for years

posted at 3:51 pm on June 7, 2011 by Allahpundit

Via the Daily Caller and Politico, if jabs like this are already being thrown before Palin’s even in the race, how brutal will things be in six months when the two of them and Herman Cain are battling for the grassroots vote in Iowa? Good lord.

It’s going to be a long, hot, nasty summer, my friends.

“Sarah has not been serious over the last couple of years,” Rollins told Brian Kilmeade on his radio show, Kilmeade and friends. “She got the Vice Presidential thing handed to her, she didn’t go to work in the sense of trying to gain more substance, she gave up her governorship.”…

“Michele Bachmann and others [have] worked hard, she has been a leader of the Tea Party which is a very important element here, she has been an attorney, she has done important things with family values.”

“She is probably the best communicator [in the GOP field] now that Mike Huckabee’s not in there,” he said.

That’s from Ben Smith, who describes Rollins as Bachmann’s new “top consultant” even though it sounds from yesterday’s CBS scoop like he’ll actually be managing her campaign. This isn’t the first time Rollins has derided Palin, either; remember this op-ed for CNN in December where he described her as a “gadfly” and told her, “If you want to be a serious presidential candidate, get to work”? At the time, it looked like he was tearing her down in advance of another Huckabee run. Now that Huck’s out, he’s landed with her other chief competitor. I was skeptical of that Politico piece a few weeks ago alleging a quiet feud between the two sides, but Rollins’s comments fit the description of Team Bachmann’s outlook perfectly: “[E]ach camp views the other with a level of suspicion, with some of Palin’s supporters seeing Bachmann as a B-list version of their icon, and some in Bachmann’s camp regarding Palin as a short-timer without Bachmann’s record or tenure.” Which raises the question, did Bachmann hire Rollins in spite of his criticisms of Palin — or because of them?

Realistically, because of the huge name-recognition gap between them, she has no choice but to draw contrasts with Palin based on biography rather than on policy. They’re too similar on the issues; if MB sticks to preaching the tea-party gospel without going negative, she risks being dismissed as the lesser-known “B-list Palin” mentioned above. Her obvious play is to hit Palin and Cain on their comparative inexperience and alleged unelectability. E.g., “I’m the one who delivered the tea party rebuttal to the SOTU, I’m the one who’s taking tough votes right now on behalf of conservatives, I’m the one who knows how to beat the D.C. machine after studying it from the inside,” etc. Rollins’s comments are consistent with that strategy. The one thing I can’t figure out, though, is why he’d attack Palin before she’s even announced her candidacy. If she ends up not running, Bachmann will need her endorsement to help propel her past Pawlenty and Cain in Iowa. After this, who knows if she’ll get it? Why alienate an influential potential ally before you absolutely have to?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 5

Old people need to shut up right now.

tetriskid on June 7, 2011 at 3:53 PM

CNN contributor Ed Rollins…that might have something to do with. Get rid of the strong candidates, first.

kingsjester on June 7, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Shut the hell up you Old RINO Tart. Go back to PMSNBC- where you can co-mingle with your girly libs

hawkman on June 7, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Ed Rollins is a snake, and a well known one at that. Bachmann’s selection of him reflects very badly on her judgment.

the mask has slipped Ms Bachmann. Integrity matters. You don’t have it.

I don’t think I could support MB on any ticket at this point.

james23 on June 7, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Maybe he’ll feel differently if he sees Palin’s movie.

catmman on June 7, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Doesn’t Rollins spend a lot of time on CNN…

d1carter on June 7, 2011 at 3:55 PM

I’m not even a Palinista and I think that was moronic.

Red Cloud on June 7, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Its on like Donkey Kong.

swamp_yankee on June 7, 2011 at 3:56 PM

SP isn’t running.

It is AMAZING how scared of her “Liberals” are though.

KMC1 on June 7, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Well, this will such the air out of Bachmann’s campaign, she is going to spend the next couple of weeks apologizing and “explaining” what Ed meant.
Stupid strategy…

right2bright on June 7, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Here’s why. Notwithstanding this Paul Revere nonsense, Palin’s had a very good week. Plaudits from the talking heads, the media on a yo-yo string, and she sliced Mitt Romney off at the knees with a simple New Hampshire clambake. Nothing but a positive feedback-loop.

So, Bachmann and Rollins have probably made the calculation that she’s running. As they compete for the exact same voter base, the only hope for Bachmann is to erode Palin’s popularity among her supporters. Using Bachmann as a cudgel’s probably the only way that’s happening.

KingGold on June 7, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Ed Rollins needs to go drink some prune juice, watch some Matlock, and shuffle along.

Nobody cares what he thinks.

tetriskid on June 7, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Ann Coulter already responded to all the Ed Rollins in the Republican Party. The Tea Party isn’t a Mob Ed, that’s what the Progressives call us, and apparently what you think of us- using their tactics. See how many votes that get’s Michelle Bachmann. Talking down to the electorate ,that was such a winner in November 2010 just ask Nancy Pelosi the Tea Party is astro turf you know LOL!

Dr Evil on June 7, 2011 at 3:57 PM

“Bachmann consultant Ed Rollins”

?

All you need to know about Bachmann, I’m afraid. Goodbye, Michelle.

rrpjr on June 7, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Welcome to today’s Palin-gasim. Be sure to keep both hands on the keyboard at all times. And remember, no drinking and commenting at the same time.

NickDeringer on June 7, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Mr. Rollins, your boss seemed to think Palin was plenty serious on April 7, 2010…

cs89 on June 7, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Michelle Bachmann hires henchman. I smell Rove-Sulfur all over this constructed attack.

But she will always just be Mini-Me to Governor Palin.

portlandon on June 7, 2011 at 3:58 PM

“She got the vice-presidential thing handed to her.”

What an utterly stupid statement.

Palin worked hard all her life to get to where she was. She earned the status to be considered for VP.

By attacking Palin, Rollins proves to be a very poor Republican strategist.

UltimateBob on June 7, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Because he doesn’t want her running. All of this “she’s not running” and “she’s not serious” talk from the Beltway types is meant as both wishful thinking and a self-fulfilling prophecy. They don’t want her entering the race and screwing things up for their favored candidates.

Doughboy on June 7, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Bachmann thinks she’s going to gain lots of new supporters by trashing Palin? If so, she’s a blooming idiot.

pseudoforce on June 7, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Another inside the beltway Republican dissing Sarah Palin.
Color me unsurprised! If this is Michelle Bachman’s idea of the way to conduct a campaign, I’ll be crossing her off my list of acceptable candidates.

BillyGoatGruff on June 7, 2011 at 3:59 PM

She got the Vice Presidential thing handed to her

I wanted it to be MEEEEEEEEE!

fossten on June 7, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Ed Rollins, he’s such a high quality person ….. all class, that’s for sure.

Jerome Horwitz on June 7, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Yes, lets destroy ourselves before we even get to the primary. Seriously? He can’t even wait until Palin gets in the race to start bashing her?

Neither of these woman or going to win. Michelle has an even lesser chance of winning than Palin. So why are we going to damage ourselves over two people who won’t be the nominee?

ramrants on June 7, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Trotting out the deniable attack dogs is a general election tactic, Ms Bachmann.

At the very least, it’s a tactic for use against declared candidates.

HitNRun on June 7, 2011 at 4:01 PM

She’s not running to win, she wont gain supporters by attacking Palin in any way , she’s a stalking horse for Mitt.
Maybe she’s looking for a VP spot or something.
By coincident Mitt is praising Palin for showing up at the same day he announced his run…

Good critter , bad critter.

the_nile on June 7, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Yeah, because the “Vice Presidential thing” had nothing to do with her outstanding record as a public servant (as a city councillor, mayor/city manager, oil and gas commissioner, and governor of the largest state).

And she didn’t “give up her governorship.” She resigned for the good of the state, her administration’s agenda, her staffers, and her family. Not to mention the work she embarked on over the following two years on behalf of the nation.

steebo77 on June 7, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Ed Rollins, he’s such a high quality person ….. all class, that’s for sure.

Jerome Horwitz on June 7, 2011 at 3:59 PM

You do know that Rollins, by virtue of his job, must be acting according to Bachmann’s wishes, yes? What good does dredging up the skeletons in his closet do?

KingGold on June 7, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Bye bye ed and you too michelle! Michelle is a lot less qualified than Sarah but no matter Sarah wants to take them all on because she knows she can out debate and out campaign all of them especially bo.

tim c on June 7, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Neither of these woman or going to win.

ramrants on June 7, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Ummmm…I think Palin would eviscerate Romney.

pseudoforce on June 7, 2011 at 4:02 PM

I don’t think Rollins knows what he’s doing. He’s a moron for turning to insults.

darwin on June 7, 2011 at 4:04 PM

In a True Conservative bloodbath between two strong women candidates who compete for the same constituency, somebody’s got to win and somebody’s got to lose. And I know that the ‘nistas will destroy Bachmann in a heartbeat in service of an incipient Palin candidacy.

KingGold on June 7, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Yup. Still applies.

KingGold on June 7, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Maybe she’s looking for a VP spot or something.

Good critter , bad critter.

the_nile on June 7, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Yeah, you may be right. Bachmann’s ego would have to be inflated even more than I thought if she really believes she has any shot at the nomination.

pseudoforce on June 7, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Why would the Bachmann campaign attack Palin if she is so behind in the polls…..unless……..the polls show Palin gaining traction? No. Impossible.

portlandon on June 7, 2011 at 4:04 PM

I wanted it to be MEEEEEEEEE!

fossten on June 7, 2011 at 3:59 PM

I don’t think that is it….this is just regular trashing. But what you said is a look at what the future will hold for us if these two compete. It will be framed as a couple of women having a cat fight.

But Bachmann isn’t going to win. I like Bachmann and I think she is a great Congresswoman, but her own peers don’t see her as a leader (she couldn’t convince enough people to vote for her for a leadership position in Congress), so why should I? At least Palin was seen as a leader in her own party.

ramrants on June 7, 2011 at 4:04 PM

I called all three of Bachmann’s congressional offices – Woodbury, Waite Park, and DC – and let em have it, politely, of course.

I identified myself and my town, making sure to let them know that I am a 6th district constituent. I said that I have been a staunch and faithful supporter of Bachmann’s and noted my financial support, offering my address if they’d like to verify my claim. I told them I have never had any reason to be concerned with the congresswoman or to disagree with her on anything (which is true) until now.

I told them that Michele Bachmann and Sarah Palin occupy the same political space – that the same people appreciate both of them for the same reasons; their fearlessness, integrity, authenticity, conservatism, understanding of American exceptionalism, etc. I told them that for better or worse, these women have the same constituency when on the national stage, and that their defenders defend them both from the same kind of attacks from both the Left and the GOP establishment.

I told them, finally, that Ed Rollins attacking Sarah Palin in any attempt to capitalize on the Leftist and GOP establishment derision and ridicule would not be met favorably by those people to whom Michele Bachmann hopes to appeal. My words were to the effect of, “if Rollins insists on trying to separate Bachmann from Palin by engaging in the same kinds of attacks we’re seeing from the Left and the GOP establishment who attack BOTH women in the same ways, there are gonna be a whole helluva lot of pissed off former Bachmann supporters who will see this as an establishment tactic by the congresswoman against Palin.”

I told them to tell her to put a leash on Rollins, and anyone else who thinks they can elevate Bachmann by tearing down Palin.

Lastly, I made sure to give my hearty endorsement to Michele Bachmann, that someday my greatest hope for her would be that she could become Speaker of the House.

IronDioPriest on June 7, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Michele Bachmann needs to dump Rollins. Ugly doesn’t attract supporters.

scrubjay on June 7, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Bachmann is someone I would have considered voting for if Palin doesn’t get in the race. But if she doesn’t cut this jerk loose, and quickly, I will be for anyone but Bachmann.

huckleberryfriend on June 7, 2011 at 4:06 PM

I never have liked Rollins.

He’s a political whore available to the highest bidder. Like Dick Morris.

Way to go Bachmann……….you picked a Huckabee retread.

PappyD61 on June 7, 2011 at 4:06 PM

I think it is a shame if Bachmann is going to allow anyone to attack Palin. It will be seen as a cat fight. But, it’s a huge mistake for any of the Republicans to attack one another – instead they should see who can attack Obama the most.

Queen0fCups on June 7, 2011 at 4:06 PM

What good does dredging up the skeletons in his closet do?

KingGold on June 7, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Pointing out that the man is a scumbag, and you obviously don’t seem to have a problem with who she hire’s and how he goes about doing that kind of business for her.

Jerome Horwitz on June 7, 2011 at 4:06 PM

I wanted it to be MEEEEEEEEE!

fossten on June 7, 2011 at 3:59 PM

“I’m the one who delivered the tea party rebuttal to the SOTU, I’m the one who’s taking tough votes right now on behalf of conservatives, I’m the one who knows how to beat the D.C. machine after studying it from the inside.”

God, she sounds just like Obama!!!

idesign on June 7, 2011 at 4:06 PM

It’s so early and that was so unnecessary. Palin probably won’t run so why take shots?

danking70 on June 7, 2011 at 4:06 PM

He can’t even wait until Palin gets in the race to start bashing her?
ramrants on June 7, 2011 at 4:00 PM

So why is he doing it, do you think? And why now?

Because she can win, and because she represents an unstoppable force once she does start running. Rollins is a fool, but he can figure this out. Politics isn’t that difficult.

rrpjr on June 7, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Jerome Horwitz on June 7, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Opposing candidates go negative on one another! Heaven forbid! How grossly unfair!

KingGold on June 7, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Bachmann, this is a start but you’re going to have to do better than this…

Bachmann aide Andy Parrish said Rollins was not speaking as a Bachmann adviser. “The Congresswoman and Ms. Palin have an excellent relationship,” Parrish said in an e-mail. “Rollins was in his media analyst role.”

cs89 on June 7, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Ed Rollins is a big mouth. That’s his style.

In other news, I clicked to Leno last night which I never do, and he was talking to Katie Couric, who went on and on about having asked Palin which newpapers she reads, with a self-satisfied smile on her face (without ever mentioning Palin’s response — it’s all about Katie, you know). Then Leno chastised Sarah for getting the Paul Revere history wrong, and then made a joke about Sarah Palin being an airhead, which caused Katie to cover her mouth and giggle. So late night comedy has got the MSM’s back on hating and ridiculing Palin.

Paul-Cincy on June 7, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Michelle had better get her dogs back on the leash. I like Bachmann a lot…but this is a fight she really shouldn’t pick. She can’t win it.

search4truth on June 7, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Why alienate an influential potential ally before you absolutely have to?

Rollins verbal grenades are nothing but an attempt to differentiate between Palin and Bachmann. Eating our own will only result in alienating Palinistas from Bachmannites. If either has any hope of winning the nomination(this speaks to ALL potential nominees) you will need to unite us, not divide us more. So quityerbitchin and buck up. Show me what you have to offer in service to America instead of telling me what the other is or is not capable of doing.

canditaylor68 on June 7, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Bachmann is not in it to win it. She just wants to win Iowa, pad her campaign coffers, and ensure herself a cabinet position. GOP is openly encouraging her to do so as they fully expect she can be persuaded to endorse Romney when she bows out and in doing so deliver a fatal blow to Palin during the rest of the primaries.

That is what they think anyway.

Socmodfiscon on June 7, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Bachmann is an idiot.

She couldn’t even debate that high school kid.

now she will lose her next election in MN when her funding dries up.

Smooth move Michele. Really stupid.

tetriskid on June 7, 2011 at 4:08 PM

IronDioPriest on June 7, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Good work!

rrpjr on June 7, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Well, this will such the air out of Bachmann’s campaign, right2bright on June 7, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Don’t think it has much air. Its polling right around 0 at the moment.

james23 on June 7, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Why alienate an influential potential ally before you absolutely have to?

‘Cuz he’s an idiot. Seriously, why did Bachmann ask for his help?

conservative pilgrim on June 7, 2011 at 4:09 PM

I am a long time Bachmann supporter. I voted for Ronald Reagan 132 times. However, while I really,really,really like Bachmann, I do not think she can win. I don’t think that Bachmann is intellectually curious. If Bachmann were to study up on Conservative principles, and speak out about policy issues instead of platitudes and talking points I think she could be ready in 2016. Right now she is unschooled, and It is not her turn.

At this point, Bachmann is unelectable.

portlandon on June 7, 2011 at 4:10 PM

And the 11th commandment gets sinned everyday

Kini on June 7, 2011 at 4:10 PM

You would think Ed Rollins would spitting his venum at Obowma…

Seven Percent Solution on June 7, 2011 at 4:10 PM

What good does dredging up the skeletons in his closet do?

KingGold on June 7, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Signed,

Christina O’Donnell used to be a witch or something

fossten on June 7, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Old people need to shut up right now.

tetriskid on June 7, 2011 at 3:53 PM

The problem inherent in your argument there is that “young people” aided and abetted in wrecking the nation, with their cult-fervor for the must-have “young people” idol, Barack Obama.

So perhaps the real argument should be: let voters of all ages think more seriously about our nation’s future and current management.

Lourdes on June 7, 2011 at 4:10 PM

*Christine

fossten on June 7, 2011 at 4:11 PM

pseudoforce on June 7, 2011 at 4:04 PM

I think she will try to sell herself as the tea party bundler for the VP spot.

the_nile on June 7, 2011 at 4:11 PM

I never have liked Rollins.

He’s a political whore available to the highest bidder. Like Dick Morris.

Way to go Bachmann……….you picked a Huckabee retread.

PappyD61 on June 7, 2011 at 4:06 PM

I couldn’t agree more. This is what a lot of Tea Partiers are sick of….career “analysts” or whatever you want to label these parasites. These people won’t allow the monumental change that a lot of us want…the ruling class (on both sides) is the problem indeed.

search4truth on June 7, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Yup. Still applies.

KingGold on June 7, 2011 at 4:04 PM

It absolutely doesn’t apply.

Most “Palinistas” really like Bachmann – and they’re not going to “destroy” her ruthlessly.

In fact – Bachmann’s star is not as bright as Palin’s – Palin eclipses Bachmann – so you’re talking about a sportscar racing a prius here. The sportscar doesn’t need to resort to dirty tricks to win that race.

Your opinions remain agenda-oriented, subjective, and pretty uniformed.

HondaV65 on June 7, 2011 at 4:11 PM

And the 11th commandment gets sinned everyday

Kini on June 7, 2011 at 4:10 PM

You would think Ed Rollins would spitting his venum at Obowma…

Seven Percent Solution on June 7, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Ditto and ditto.

Lourdes on June 7, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Does Bachmann really want to play the role of Gravel or Kucinich in the GOP primary? The woman couldn’t even gain support over Hensarling for party leadership. Maybe she wants to hurt Palin after Palin refused to support her for the Conference Chairmanship?

cpaulus on June 7, 2011 at 4:11 PM

KingGold on June 7, 2011 at 4:07 PM

You are such an ass …… did MB say this about SP ?? No, she didn’t, she hired a sleeze to do her dirty work, which this guy does wonderfully. It questions MB’s judgement.

It’s called “considering the source”.

Jerome Horwitz on June 7, 2011 at 4:12 PM

darwin on June 7, 2011 at 4:04 PM

He/GOP establishment is baiting Palin to go negative in retaliation. Thus giving Michelle license to endorse Romney.

Palin won’t take the bait. She is killing them all with niceness and will continue to do so.

Socmodfiscon on June 7, 2011 at 4:12 PM

cs89 on June 7, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Not believable for a minute.

Rollins specifically mentioned Bachmann. It doesn’t speak well of her to go nasty like this. And yes, he does speak for her–she just hired him.

INC on June 7, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Signed,

Christina O’Donnell used to be a witch or something

fossten on June 7, 2011 at 4:10 PM

That’s wasn’t really a counterpoint to my argument. Opposition research in a contested election is a crucial element of today’s politics. If you support a candidate, expect the other guy’s supporters to fling garbage at them and hope it sticks.

So, let’s hope that the “unfair attack” card doesn’t get played too early now, hm?

KingGold on June 7, 2011 at 4:13 PM

KingGold on June 7, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Yup. Still applies.
KingGold on June 7, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Nope. No it doesn’t. Bachmann (through Rollins) is the one who is firing the first shots. Palin and her supporters did not start, nor seek, a fight. As usual, you are wrong.

steebo77 on June 7, 2011 at 4:14 PM

pseudoforce on June 7, 2011 at 4:04 PM

I think she will try to sell herself as the tea party bundler for the VP spot.

the_nile on June 7, 2011 at 4:11 PM

I think what’s being worked on by these political-class types (Rollins, Rove, etc.) is a Romney/Bachmann ticket.

At this rate, I consider myself an observer, as in, I feel somewhat like we as voters are all being floated along like flotsam on a wave by billionaire influences on campaigns. They’re going to buy the candidate they want, and damn the rest of us ‘chattering class’ folks.

Lourdes on June 7, 2011 at 4:14 PM

this was a boneheaded move by Bachmann her people are already attempting to walk it back:

unseen on June 7, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Socmodfiscon on June 7, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Exactly – Palin is way to smart to bite on that – which makes Ed only look like more of an idiot than when he supported Ross Perot.

HondaV65 on June 7, 2011 at 4:14 PM

That’s wasn’t really a counterpoint to my argument.

KingGold on June 7, 2011 at 4:13 PM

You’re right. It was just an allusion to irony.

fossten on June 7, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Meow.

Quick! Somebody get Rollins a kitty pan.

GrannyDee on June 7, 2011 at 4:15 PM

It’s called “considering the source”.

Jerome Horwitz on June 7, 2011 at 4:12 PM

On Bachmann’s payroll. Whether Bachmann herself stands by it is irrelevant. He’s her operator, and he’s being paid to help her win.

Don’t bash him if your goal is to bash her by proxy.

KingGold on June 7, 2011 at 4:15 PM

I think she will try to sell herself as the tea party bundler for the VP spot.

the_nile on June 7, 2011 at 4:11 PM

If it gets that far there will be so much vitriol and bad blood on the Republican side, Obama may win 49 states.

pseudoforce on June 7, 2011 at 4:16 PM

The media, the pundits, and the Republican bigwigs are all attempting to create divisiveness, especially between Bachmann and Palin. Rollins’s snide remarks re Palin resemble the types of snarky attacks that Huckabee pulled during the 2008 run up.

Rollins’s gratuitous attacks on Palin show how little he has done his own research and homework. Nasty man!

I very much admire Bachmann, but she should be directing her energies to building conservative consensus in the House, especially in fiscal matters. She was unable to secure the position of Speaker. What makes Rollins so sure that she could win the presidency.

onlineanalyst on June 7, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Don’t bash him if your goal is to bash her by proxy.

KingGold on June 7, 2011 at 4:15 PM

No I absolutely am not bashing her by proxy. I love Bachmann – Ed Rollins is an idiot on his own.

HondaV65 on June 7, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Bachmann, this is a start but you’re going to have to do better than this…

cs89 on June 7, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Trial balloon crisis management. She has shown her cards.

the_nile on June 7, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Palin’s bus tour must have destoryed Bachmann’s numbers in internal polls. After all Bachmann is nothing but a plac eholder until Palin shows up. As Palin gets closer to running nobody is going to care about the 2 term congresswoman with no bills to her name who voted for all of Bush’s big government bills including the patriot act last week.

unseen on June 7, 2011 at 4:18 PM

man this primary is going to be brutal.

equanimous on June 7, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Maybe she’s looking for a VP spot or something.

Good critter , bad critter.

the_nile on June 7, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Maybe, probably. What’s in it for Bachmann though? VP slot seems unlikely. However, she’s got several months of basking in the publicity of a presidential campaign before the primary results knock her out. A much hyped spat with Palin raises Bachmann’s name recognition and sets her up for a more lucrative post-campaign career in the media.

dedalus on June 7, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Ouch! Lord help us all if we let the GOP circular firing squad re-elect Obama. Rick Perry has enough smarts and party loyalty to give Palin room to decide. Sure, Sarah has been distancing herself for awhile from Bachmann, who is fighting for the same votes and for Huckabee’s, but Rollins isn’t helping Michele this way.

Meanwhile, one of Reagan’s smartest economic muses, Art Laffer, was just on with Cavuto highly praising Tim Pawlenty’s economic plan. Second third fourth look at Pawlenty?

Terrie on June 7, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Lourdes on June 7, 2011 at 4:10 PM

You much have missed the past 50 years where people of Rollins generation bankrupted the country.

Thanks for playing though.

tetriskid on June 7, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Rollins ran Reagan’s 84 campaign, and was a key figure in Huckabee’s suprising insurgent 2008 run.

People may not like what he said, but treating like a buffoon is ill-advised. The guy is fairly sharp.

swamp_yankee on June 7, 2011 at 4:19 PM

There are certain old school GOP operatives–Rollins is one, Rove another–that I just don’t want anywhere near any candidate asking for my vote. These “pros” have brought the nation to ruin. They are toxic.

james23 on June 7, 2011 at 4:19 PM

… if jabs like this are already being thrown before Palin’s even in the race, how brutal will things be in six months…

As ugly and brutal as they need to be. So let’s get to it, shall we?

Can I hear a “Game On” from anybody?

turfmann on June 7, 2011 at 4:19 PM

fourth look at Pawlenty?

Terrie on June 7, 2011 at 4:18 PM

No thanks, I’d rather look at Anthony Weiner’s naked chest.

HondaV65 on June 7, 2011 at 4:20 PM

HondaV65 on June 7, 2011 at 4:11 PM

steebo77 on June 7, 2011 at 4:14 PM

It doesn’t apply? Then why the fulmination against Rollins? And why all the comments in the strain of “I don’t trust Bachmann’s judgment any more,” hm?

Bachmann must be destroyed. So must Romney, so must Cain, so must Pawlenty.

But you can’t call Bachmann a sexist this time.

KingGold on June 7, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Can’t wait for Mike Murphy to get hired by Pawlenty so he can start piling on Palin too.

portlandon on June 7, 2011 at 4:21 PM

HondaV65 on June 7, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Palin knows she doesn’t have to bite back. she has millions of independent supporters not tied to her campaign in any way that have her back. Just one more advantage of Palin’s large and growing base.

Bachmann is done with these comments. Unless Bachmann personally apolozies for her campaign manger’s comments she doesn’t stand a chanc ein hell of getting many Palin suppoerters votes.

unseen on June 7, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Romney’s the frontrunner. Shouldn’t Rollins be attacking him? Maybe he isn’t as much of a frontrunner as we think.

pseudoforce on June 7, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Paul-Cincy on June 7, 2011 at 4:07 PM

That’s really unfortunate. Hollywood and related celebrity (so called) ‘JournOlists’ are so disappointing. I mean, really, so disappointing.

The Palin comment about Paul Revere has been supported by historians and it looks like it’s the gigglers and Leftwing who are striking out with their ridicule of Palin, with them trying to maintain their Socialist-Education history-reformat from the Sixties.

What Palin said is a take I’ve never heard before so I was surprised to read more about it after her comments and find that she had greater insight on Revere than is taught in that Socialist-education indoctrination system.

Couric is a rude fool. And whatever happened to Leno? Didn’t he used to be somewhat reasonable?

Lourdes on June 7, 2011 at 4:21 PM

unseen on June 7, 2011 at 4:18 PM

It killed the “Palin isn’t running” meme.

the_nile on June 7, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Terrie on June 7, 2011 at 4:18 PM

I never looked away. He is my establishment choice for nomination if a real conservative doesn’t win.

portlandon on June 7, 2011 at 4:22 PM

swamp_yankee on June 7, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Personally – I wasn’t that impressed by the Huckabee campaign and it took me like 15 seconds to remember who, exactly, Reagan ran against in ’84.

It was Mondale … props to Ed Rollins … he beat frackin’ Mondale at the height of Reagan’s popularity.

HondaV65 on June 7, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Sure, Sarah has been distancing herself for awhile from Bachmann

Terrie on June 7, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Do you have any examples of this claim?

chief on June 7, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Why alienate an influential potential ally before you absolutely have to?

Simple, Team Bachmann is not that bright!

Amadeus on June 7, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Bachmann:Palin::Herman’s Hermits:The Beatles

Palin has been at the vanguard of the culture war since the day she was announced as McCain’s running mate. She’s the real deal. Always has been.

On the other hand, I don’t recall ever hearing about Michele Bachmann until she was tapped as a Palin surrogate in the 2008 campaign. Bachmann then tried to claim Palin’s space as her own when it was thought that Palin was too “damaged” to continue in national politics.

Palin is the original. Bachmann, a poor copy.

Nat Hound on June 7, 2011 at 4:23 PM