Bachmann consultant Ed Rollins: Palin hasn’t been serious for years

posted at 3:51 pm on June 7, 2011 by Allahpundit

Via the Daily Caller and Politico, if jabs like this are already being thrown before Palin’s even in the race, how brutal will things be in six months when the two of them and Herman Cain are battling for the grassroots vote in Iowa? Good lord.

It’s going to be a long, hot, nasty summer, my friends.

“Sarah has not been serious over the last couple of years,” Rollins told Brian Kilmeade on his radio show, Kilmeade and friends. “She got the Vice Presidential thing handed to her, she didn’t go to work in the sense of trying to gain more substance, she gave up her governorship.”…

“Michele Bachmann and others [have] worked hard, she has been a leader of the Tea Party which is a very important element here, she has been an attorney, she has done important things with family values.”

“She is probably the best communicator [in the GOP field] now that Mike Huckabee’s not in there,” he said.

That’s from Ben Smith, who describes Rollins as Bachmann’s new “top consultant” even though it sounds from yesterday’s CBS scoop like he’ll actually be managing her campaign. This isn’t the first time Rollins has derided Palin, either; remember this op-ed for CNN in December where he described her as a “gadfly” and told her, “If you want to be a serious presidential candidate, get to work”? At the time, it looked like he was tearing her down in advance of another Huckabee run. Now that Huck’s out, he’s landed with her other chief competitor. I was skeptical of that Politico piece a few weeks ago alleging a quiet feud between the two sides, but Rollins’s comments fit the description of Team Bachmann’s outlook perfectly: “[E]ach camp views the other with a level of suspicion, with some of Palin’s supporters seeing Bachmann as a B-list version of their icon, and some in Bachmann’s camp regarding Palin as a short-timer without Bachmann’s record or tenure.” Which raises the question, did Bachmann hire Rollins in spite of his criticisms of Palin — or because of them?

Realistically, because of the huge name-recognition gap between them, she has no choice but to draw contrasts with Palin based on biography rather than on policy. They’re too similar on the issues; if MB sticks to preaching the tea-party gospel without going negative, she risks being dismissed as the lesser-known “B-list Palin” mentioned above. Her obvious play is to hit Palin and Cain on their comparative inexperience and alleged unelectability. E.g., “I’m the one who delivered the tea party rebuttal to the SOTU, I’m the one who’s taking tough votes right now on behalf of conservatives, I’m the one who knows how to beat the D.C. machine after studying it from the inside,” etc. Rollins’s comments are consistent with that strategy. The one thing I can’t figure out, though, is why he’d attack Palin before she’s even announced her candidacy. If she ends up not running, Bachmann will need her endorsement to help propel her past Pawlenty and Cain in Iowa. After this, who knows if she’ll get it? Why alienate an influential potential ally before you absolutely have to?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

To the ring, then.

rightwingyahooo on June 7, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Heh! Good one.

chief on June 7, 2011 at 9:22 PM

Bachmann had zero chance.

So, Less Than Zero ain’t much.

profitsbeard on June 7, 2011 at 9:23 PM

so rightwing thread jacked another thread. Bachmann screws up goes on the attack and rightwing is talking immigration again when Palin just said she wants immigrants to folow the laws in NYC…

unseen on June 7, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Ed Rollins has a long history of putting his foot in his mouth. Three words from 1993: “Walking around money.”

(With 400 comments, I’m guessing I’m not the first to bring that up. But just in case…)

L.N. Smithee on June 7, 2011 at 9:28 PM

You can tell when the Palin fans have lost the debate. They start name calling, using personal insults, and leveling demeaning accusations.

csdeven on June 7, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Funny, I went and read what was posted and it seemed like some good old jabs…you are saying what he posted was wrong, or you resent him summarizing what you post.

So, your first position was she never said it, then it was she’s being reasonable by saying it.

Then, it was that I’m not allowed an opinion if I’m not on the border every day…

Now, it’s that yes she said it but only a democrat troll would believe her?

What part of this is inaccurate?

right2bright on June 7, 2011 at 9:29 PM

I could never be elected. Here’s why:

1-My position re: borders=close them. ALL. If it has to come to check-ups intra-states I’m for it. Why? There’s illegals here in PA. WTF?

2-My position re: illegals=NO $. PERIOD. Meaning, they come here illegally and take advantage of the system, ca$hing in while working at the same time. Fancy cars, great businesses but still claim stuff like welfare? Gimme a break.

3-My position re: Israel=Not an inch. Don’t give away anything. Basic principle applies: Go to war; if you win ground, take it. The losers, retreat. Lost your land, so go.

4-Relocate our troops to their home state, or a state/base of their choosing. The best of the best for them. Those that want to serve should be at those borders; that’s a nice target practice ;)

5-Asides from elimination of several federal agencies, introduce for consideration a Constitutional amendment that can be applied in a more uniformed way to all states (I mean even out the playfield). I bet I’d get a lot of crap for it but remember…I come from a place where every town/city/municipality is equal when it comes to the basics.

For example, why there’s a tax difference and between OH and PA when it comes to alcohol access and shoes?

6-Finally…wanna come to the US of A? Don’t skip the line, “take-a-ticket” and wait like the rest. Let Mexico deal with their own. How many Americans have to die before Obama does something?–waaaiiitt–don’t answer that one.

This is from a Wise Latina Woman.

-PPF

ProudPalinFan on June 7, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Rollins at one time hoped he’d get picked up by SarahPAc, after all he worked with Perot and other loonies didn’t he? He got soundly rejected. Sarah knows their number though.

promachus on June 7, 2011 at 9:39 PM

I have long disliked Rollins.

I have learned to quite dislike Palin, by seeing the kind of people she attracts, and why she attracts them. These are not the kind of people who should be in charge of this country.

So: this was really fun today.

I still like Bachman. In fact, more now, that she has shown she won’t be cowed by the Palinistas.

It takes a lot of guts to stand up and say the Emperor Sarah, has no clothes.” Which, of course, everyone but a very few people already knew. Most everyone is afraid to say it out loud because Palin people are rhetorically violent.

I still dislike Rollins, which is probably fine with him. He did his job. Bachman didn’t take the blame.

petunia on June 7, 2011 at 9:44 PM

right2bright on June 7, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Louis can correct me, but I think his comment about Palin fans was regarding this comment that I made.

Let me get this straight. You fear that a President Palin will grant amnesty to the illegal immigrants in this country despite the fact that no one has even tried to push for amnesty since GWB/McCain’s plan crashed and burned.

Obama, despite having the office of president and Democrat control of the Senate and the House was afraid to bring amnesty to the table because he knew it had no chance of passing.

Yet, on Palin thread after Palin thread, you bring this nonsense up like there is actually any chance in hell that Palin or anyone else will bring this up as a serious policy issue with all of the problems we face as a country.

Are you really that stupid?

Maybe you’re just spamming Palin threads in an attempt to hurt her chances with conservatives.

I have mentioned before that we will know candidate Palin’s immigration plan is when her campaign starts. That goes for the rest of her policy solutions for the issues we are facing. That’s what presidential campaigns are for.

If you feel the need to spam that O’Reilly interview then head over to Telemundo.

chief on June 7, 2011 at 8:33 PM

chief on June 7, 2011 at 9:45 PM

petunia on June 7, 2011 at 9:44 PM

Why you! They’ll gut you alive for that!

Vyce on June 7, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Dump Rollins, Mrs. Bachman.

SouthernGent on June 7, 2011 at 9:53 PM

As Palin gets closer to running nobody is going to care about the 2 term congresswoman with no bills to her name who voted for all of Bush’s big government bills including the patriot act last week.

unseen on June 7, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Ahem. What’s wrong with the Patriot Act? We are at war, you know, and our enemies’ communications are transiting our borders…

unclesmrgol on June 7, 2011 at 9:54 PM

petunia on June 7, 2011 at 9:44 PM

That’s because most of us don’t agree with your assessment. After watching the WSJ determine that one of their econ columnists was wrong after slamming Palin’s assessment of the current state of the economy, and watching the fact checkers over at the NYT do the same — I wouldn’t characterize her as an airhead.

She came back with that classic “Don’t you read your own paper?” dig which buried the guy. Not an airhead at all.

unclesmrgol on June 7, 2011 at 9:57 PM

ProudPalinFan on June 7, 2011 at 9:35 PM

The Euroweenines tried mightily to harmonize taxes in order to prevent capital flight. There’s less competition among States if there’s harmonization. Next thing you know taxes have crept up to astronomical rates, because the legislators will now barter with their colleagues in other States to raise them. The people are ignored. That factor has to be considered. The fact that rates are different amongst the States proves that representative govt works.

As for your other points, I agree from the “perfect world” POV, but realize that they have to be negotiated. I rather start the negotiation from that hard stance, than to pull a Boehner and negotiate from the halfway point, like let’s accept DREAM & anchor babies then negotiate on a virtual fence or some nonsuch.

AH_C on June 7, 2011 at 9:58 PM

petunia on June 7, 2011 at 9:44 PM

You are so funny. You’re right, of course; no one criticizes Palin. Ever. Certainly no one has said publicly that she’s unelectable.

alwaysfiredup on June 7, 2011 at 9:59 PM

I have long disliked Rollins.

So: this was really fun today.

petunia on June 7, 2011 at 9:44 PM
Still a delusional dumbass.

Amjean on June 7, 2011 at 10:05 PM

petunia on June 7, 2011 at 9:44 PM

Appreciate your concern, but this next election is not a time for “nice/polite” politics, as if it ever was. Your reminiscence of elections gone by is od the rose-tinted variety and you chose not to notice that it was as nasty then as is now.

AH_C on June 7, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Yup. Still applies.

KingGold on June 7, 2011 at 4:04 PM

So, you have declared that you were right earlier today, and you’re still right!

Got it…

massrighty on June 7, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Amjean

So you believe she’s not gonna try to desperately walk this one back? Well, it did take Weiner over a week to try to sell his “sincere” mea culpa, so you might be right. Most of us thought Bachmann capable of a stronger moral character than that, though – it’s not exactly the highest moral hurdle to clear.

whatcat on June 7, 2011 at 10:15 PM

This is from a Wise Latina Woman.

-PPF

ProudPalinFan on June 7, 2011 at 9:35 PM

At least one middle-aged bald white guy stands with you.

massrighty on June 7, 2011 at 10:16 PM

petunia on June 7, 2011 at 9:44 PM

Not really. Your arguments by assertion don’t prove her lack of raiment. Since I’m proveably not rhetorically violent, why don’t you practice your skills on me. Convince me, using reason and logic, that Sarah Palin is not fully qualified to be a candidate for the republican nomination for President.

Please.

massrighty on June 7, 2011 at 10:19 PM

…she has been a leader of the Tea Party

Michele Bachmann is not who first woman who springs to mind when I think of or hear mention of the Tea Party.

Sharr on June 7, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Any Republican going negative on Palin, whether she’s running or not (she’s not), pays a price. SP’s endorsement and time on the Trail will be important for general election victory. This indicates Bachmann is not a serious Presidential candidate. Her campaign instead appears desperate for a win in Iowa.

exdeadhead on June 7, 2011 at 10:26 PM

lets try that once more…

…she has been a leader of the Tea Party

Michele Bachmann is not the first woman who springs to mind when I think of or hear mention of the Tea Party.

*My kingdom for an edit function…

Sharr on June 7, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Well, I am pleasantly surprised!

I called Bachmann’s campaign office to express my disappointment in Rollins’ comments. I just received a return call from someone at her office, stating that Bachmann called Gov. Palin to apologize, Bachmann would “never” say such things about Palin, and it was a “mistake.”

Good for Bachmann, I say!

cs89 on June 7, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Good for Bachmann, I say!

cs89 on June 7, 2011 at 10:34 PM

The question now is, does Ed Rollins still work for Bachmann?

RJL on June 7, 2011 at 10:45 PM

still a delusional dumbass.

Amjean on June 7, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Exactly

RJL on June 7, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Doesn’t matter. Bachmann’s judgment, like Weiner’s, is forever compromised. Rollins is the kiss of death for any ethical politician.

eaglesdontflock on June 7, 2011 at 10:56 PM

The question now is, does Ed Rollins still work for Bachmann?
RJL on June 7, 2011

Indeed. Now she needs to make a public apology, not just have someone handle a phone call. Without a public apology (for the nasty public attacks) and explanation of what went wrong, I’ll take it with a grain of salt. She seems to be observing “radio silence” on Twitter & FB so far.

whatcat on June 7, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Dunno, RJL. Told them thanks for the call, & that I’d be watching the news.

Hopefully we’ll see a statement, etc. If Rollins does stick around in the Bachmann camp, it ought to be clear from this episode that such shenanigans won’t be put up with.

We’ll see what develops, I guess.

cs89 on June 7, 2011 at 11:00 PM

I haven’t taken Angry Ed Rollins seriously for a few decades now.

Whether it’s perpetual hemorrhoids or heartbreak of psoriasis (per the old TV remedy ad) which turned him ugly or merely Beltway-itis from being too long around a town with the morals of a Kennedy, the guidance control of a Kennedy, and the financial restraint of a Kennedy… only angry Ed Rollins knows for sure… and even that remains an uncertainty.

viking01 on June 7, 2011 at 11:01 PM

I really can’t stand these campaign consultants and staffers…generally a bunch of self-serving slimeballs. I think a candidate is better off just hiring some guy or gal that books rock concerts and a wedding planner to handle events than one of these greasy politicos.

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 7, 2011 at 11:34 PM

I used to give frequently to Michele Bachmann but temporarily stopped because I got tired of her telemarketers hounding me. With Rollins running her campaign, the stoppage just became permanent.

bw222 on June 7, 2011 at 11:42 PM

Why you! They’ll gut you alive for that!

Vyce on June 7, 2011 at 9:50 PM

There’s no need to “gut” Petunia. Hari kari is her favorite sport.

bw222 on June 7, 2011 at 11:47 PM

Suprisingly Ed Rollins is only 68. He’s one of those people lake Barbara Bush, whose age finally catches up with their face. The first time I saw Barbara Bush in 1979 I was convinced she was Bush41′s mother.

bw222 on June 7, 2011 at 11:50 PM

petunia on June 7, 2011 at 9:44 PM

You didn’t learn to dislike Palin, you started out that way for your own vapid reasons. And, there are plenty of your own comments to back my assertion…

Gohawgs on June 8, 2011 at 12:55 AM

Rollins is a crank. He’s also a loser. Bachman letting this bitter jerk front for her disqualifies as far as I’m concerned.

Compare smearing Sarah to Pawlenty’s bold proposals. The un-serious non-candidate is Ms. Bachmann.

rcl on June 8, 2011 at 12:57 AM

whatcat on June 7, 2011 at 10:15 PM

That was petunia’s comment…

Gohawgs on June 8, 2011 at 12:59 AM

Palin’s political instincts this week caused the media to make complete fools of themselves, much to all of our entertainment.

Bachmann’s political instincts this week caused half of her putative “base” to mutiny.

Gee, I wonder which is the better politician.

alwaysfiredup on June 8, 2011 at 1:00 AM

Rollins was always the rough fighter. He used to keep it behind the scenes, but enjoyed the media attention and was out front by the time he worked for Huck.

If you hire him, you aren’t expecting to play bean bag. Bachmann’s back-tracking shouldn’t work. It reminds me of the old pop song about a woman who finds a frozen snake almost dead in the garden, takes it in by the fire, nurses it back to health, whereupon it bites her. As she dies, the snake merely observes “You knew darn well I was a snake before you took me in.”

Adjoran on June 8, 2011 at 2:43 AM

petunia on June 7, 2011 at 9:44 PM

Why you! They’ll gut you alive for that!

Vyce on June 7, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Lemme guess. Both of you have Jan Brady posters on your wall and that’s how you met.

What do I win?

kim roy on June 8, 2011 at 2:57 AM

Almost 500 comments in, and playing right into Rollins hands. This whole thread justified his move.

Rollins is paid operative. You people are suckers. The only person with a grievance should be Pawlenty. Nice guys finish last.. he fades. MB is claiming a mantle. All the Palin fans think everyone is just going to sit back and be nice and make way for the Queen are kidding themselves.

Its going to get nasty. Rollins just took the initiative. It was the smart move. People answering him are just elevating MB to SP levels. All the suckers over-reacting just put Bachmann on Palin’s table.

swamp_yankee on June 8, 2011 at 3:34 AM

SORRY SARAH PALIN.

MANY HERE SAY THAT YOU ARE NOT ELECTABLE.

THEY AGREE WITH …… THE DEMOCRATS BASED ON POLLS BY DEMOCRATS!

BUT WHATEVER HAPPENS…

YOU HAVE AT LEAST 10 VOTES FROM MY SPANISH CLAN!!!!!!!!

VIVA LA SARAH PALIN!

PALIN 2012!

COMMIES, SOCIALISTS AND SOCIALITES … BEWARE!!!!!!

THE COMMON PEOPLE WILL TAKE BACK THE COUNTRY!!!!!

TheAlamos on June 8, 2011 at 3:40 AM

Well, I am pleasantly surprised!

Good for Bachmann, I say!

cs89 on June 7, 2011 at 10:34 PM

You’re not that naive you believe her in any way , right?
If the guy aint fired publicly , there’s no reason to believe her at all.

the_nile on June 8, 2011 at 4:04 AM

I would use the word weak instead of nice. Other than the adjective used, I think you got the rest right.

Heh! Yeah, because everyone has sat back and played nice for the last three years. Have you been paying attention at all?

I say bring it on. I look forward to a bloodbath in the GOP primary. Palin is going to get the same treatment that she has received since August 29, 2008.

Nothing will change for Palin, but the others candidates might not enjoy the rectal exam and the bleeding that will occur as they are ripped open during the primary process.

chief on June 8, 2011 at 4:04 AM

chief on June 8, 2011 at 4:04 AM

Heh, it will be nuclear. Palin has been forced to swim in the deep end since the beginning, these other fools will drown.

the_nile on June 8, 2011 at 5:20 AM

Uh, Ed?

If Sarah Palin hasn’t been “serious” in “years”, why, exactly, are you working for her virtual Mini Me?

Lemme break it down for you in simple market terms, ‘kay?

Sarah Palin: Dr. Pepper

Your gal, Bachman: Mr. Pibb

Good luck figuring out the hard way what the Coca Cola Corp. figured out years ago: Can’t beat the real thing.

SuperCool on June 8, 2011 at 5:48 AM

he_nile on June 8, 2011 at 4:04 AM

I like “trust but verify,” personally. If she says these statements are inconsistent with her opinion of Palin, good for her.

If Rollins stays in her camp, and pulls this again, I’ll know to write off the bit of credibility she has retained in my estimation.

We’ll see.

cs89 on June 8, 2011 at 7:04 AM

As I understand it, Palin wants a legal, documented guest worker program. Sounds good to me. If some misinterpret that as amnesty, I don’t know what to say.

Paul-Cincy on June 7, 2011 at 7:45 PM

You think tens of millions of them don’t sue for self determination?

You think we need that right now, with the unemployment problem we have, even if they do?

I don’t know what to say.

rightwingyahooo on June 7, 2011 at 8:04 PM

ou keep ranting about Palin’s plan for immigration.
Please tell us your plan? Something that is doable please.
I don’t want to hear that you want to line up 12-15 million people at the border on the march back to Mexico.

Amjean on June 8, 2011 at 7:13 AM

I think Rollins has a point. I don’t always agree with Bachmann, but she has been working at this for some time. And she is serious. Sometimes she makes mistakes, but she seems more focused than Palin and when she makes a mistake she admits it and moves on. She does not dig in her heels and cry and moan about gotcha questions.

And I don’t think Palin’s chances are looking good. According to Rasmussen 23% of the registered voters think she is qualified to be president.

Palin’s bus tour was a fiasco, I know her faithful followers do not want to admit that, but it is true. Her remarks about Paul Revere were strange at best…and trying to act as if she is the smart one and her detractors are all a bunch of dummies will not help her. She said:“He who warned the British that they weren’t going to be taking away our arms by ringing those bells and making sure as he’s riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be secure and we were going to be free,” If Romney had said something like that people would be wondering if he had suffered a stroke or something.

I don’t know if Palin is even really interested in running, but if she is she will have to compete with these other people. That means, debates..answering questions and dealing with a certain amount of confrontation. It goes with the territory. Her people need to understand that.

Terrye on June 8, 2011 at 7:15 AM

We’ll see.

cs89 on June 8, 2011 at 7:04 AM

So Bachmann’s stooge smears Palin repeatedly in public , but she tells you in private that she dont share his views.
You’re really naive if you believe her.

the_nile on June 8, 2011 at 7:15 AM

csdeven on June 7, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Not really. We just get frustrated with the amount of
stupidity coming from your postings. THEN we call you names – like dumbass. (I realize we call you names often, but, then…….)

Amjean on June 8, 2011 at 7:15 AM

I have long disliked Rollins.

So: this was really fun today.

petunia on June 7, 2011 at 9:44 PM

Petunia, I think you just want attention; I know it is lonely living in a studio basement with 40 cats.

Amjean on June 8, 2011 at 7:18 AM

Amjean

whatcat on June 7, 2011 at 10:15 PM
Petunia flowerchild wrote that about Palin, not me.
I wrote the part where I called Petunia a delusional dumbass.

Amjean on June 8, 2011 at 7:20 AM

Well, I am pleasantly surprised!

Good for Bachmann, I say!

cs89 on June 7, 2011 at 10:34 PM
MB may have called Gov. Palin, however, I “betcha” Palin
did not take the call.

Amjean on June 8, 2011 at 7:23 AM

I wrote this segment because at my local grocery store there’s some “lax rules” applied now. Meaning, I can get one of those new kewl beers like Rogue, Java Head or Flying Dog. Those are sold at the separate deli section. I can only purchase those beers at THAT section and leave. I can’t grab a cold six-pack, pass the deli section and continue shopping.

In OH’s Sam’s Club I am bombarded with beers and wine (the way it’s supposed to be and the way I’m used to). No wine at the grocery store at all in PA. I figured it takes too much space and local businesses know their wines and we can make a great purchase.

*Thanks for the support! XD
**I am aware of the tough but necessary negotiations that must be in place before implementation of any laws that further show the illegal immigrants to follow the law. Some people have to think what’s best for their country and sacrifice as much as our men and women do in uniform in foreign land.

If those congressmen and women want to see more people hung at the Texas border due to drug wars-I feel sorry for this country.

President Felipe Calderón is acting like Pontius Pilate and that must be no more. It’s his job to make Mexico into a more balanced economic country-in the meantime thank US because WE are being so tax happy that we’re sending jobs there.

Well, Breitbart can be sent to some congressional offices to follow the “La Raza” scent-leaves a nice, strong trail to (one of them) Luis Gutierrez’ office (D-IL) who has no business meddling with this issue and is a person non-grata in Puerto Rico. He also travels there and causes nothing but trouble.

-PPF (Wise Latina Woman)

ProudPalinFan on June 8, 2011 at 7:23 AM

Well, I am pleasantly surprised!

Good for Bachmann, I say!

cs89 on June 7, 2011 at 10:34 PM

I am very pleased to read this, and please guys don’t be so hostile. These are delicate times and the chips will fall when it’s their time. Too early to start bickering.

ProudPalinFan on June 8, 2011 at 7:26 AM

ProudPalinFan on June 8, 2011 at 7:26 AM

So Bachmann’s paid campaign staff/manager attacks Palin repeatedly , and this has nothing to do with Bachmann?
And she wont fire him?
Wake up.

the_nile on June 8, 2011 at 7:37 AM

swamp_yankee on June 8, 2011 at 3:34 AM

I don’t think so. It just shows we have Bauchman’s number.
It also shows that we protect our own – meaning we have
Palin’s back. Many whacko liberals and rino repub estabs
wanted Palin to sit down and shut up. She didn’t. And
we won’t either.

What is laughable is that anyone thinks Michelle Bauchmann’s has the creds (read her record – who is anyone
kidding?) to be President.

MB has had her operatives in Iowa and South Carolina for
months telling Palin supporters that she has inside information that Palin is not running; trying to get them
to back her instead. That is where most of her support is coming from. And since she has no executive record to run on she needs to bash Palin to gain traction. This time,
however, she finds herself stuck in the mud.

Amjean on June 8, 2011 at 7:39 AM

And she wont fire him?
Wake up.

the_nile on June 8, 2011 at 7:37 AM

Yeah I wanna go back to bed!

Palin had to deal with whatshisname during the past campaign. I am going to be patient sitting throughout the day and see if Bachmann makes this move. Trust me I want the guy evaporated, gone, and Bachmann does not need him.

From what I’ve read sounds like that young guy that does Trump’s dirty deeds.

ProudPalinFan on June 8, 2011 at 7:42 AM

I mean, Jesus, you slow-pitched that last one. How could I NOT swing at it.

Vyce on June 7, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Can a troll change its scales?

fossten on June 8, 2011 at 7:52 AM

swamp_yankee on June 8, 2011 at 3:34 AM

You claim that we’re elevating MB to SP’s level. You really think so? I’d say most Palin supporters also ranked her high on their list of contenders. This was a stupid/selfish move on Rollins part to get airtime at Palin’s expense. And did nothing to MB on SP’s table, if anything the opposite.

If you’re going to attack someone, you don’t attack like-minded supporters (in this case, conservatives), because you’re going to need each other as the primaries progresses to the point one or the other will withdraw and endorse the other. The ones you attack are the ones with a diametricaly opposite platform, like Mittens & Obama. Or if you want to abide by Reagan’s 11th commandment, you draw distinct comparisons and contrast with Mitt.

Bottomline, if Ed did this with MB’s blessings, it’s a major screw up and calls MB’s judgment & motives into question. If the latter, then the net effect is that it will sweep MB completely of the table and into the compost pile.

Since it has been a good 1/2 day with no official walkback from MB, I think it’s fair to say “SP/MB 2012″ or “MB/SP 2012″ meme is totally dead.

AH_C on June 8, 2011 at 8:43 AM

AH_C on June 8, 2011 at 8:43 AM

Two words: “Voodoo Economics”.

Dreadnought on June 8, 2011 at 8:50 AM

Ed Rollins doubles down.

He suggested in an interview with POLITICO that Bachmann would profit from the contrast.
Bachmann will “be so much more substantive,” Rollins said. “People are going to say, ‘I gotta make a choice and go with the intelligent woman who’s every bit as attractive.’”
“I’m not afraid of Palin,” he said, adding the strategy would have been the same for Mike Huckabee.

I wonder if Rollins finds Huckabee every bit as attractive as Governor Palin?

chief on June 8, 2011 at 8:50 AM

Bachmann needs to fire Rollins for this. Extremely disappointing. I favor Palin but I have contributed to Bachmann in the past for Congress and in general. This kind of divisive poison is exactly what we do not need.

DaMav on June 8, 2011 at 9:01 AM

Terrye on June 8, 2011 at 7:15 AM

You are addicted to strawmen. Do you even read news coverage?

Palin has said over and over that she welcomes vigorous primary debate as healthy for the GOP and for the country, and “the more the merrier.” Over and over.

She took questions from reporters on dozens of separate occasions on her bus tour. One of them actually ran out of questions to ask.

And as far as “dealing with a certain amount of confrontation,” I think since Aug 2008 Palin has had just a tiny bit of experience with a hostile media and provocative comments from political opponents and their surrogates as well as every other anklebiter in the country.

So yes, “her people” do understand that “it goes with the territory” and that “she will have to compete with other people.” I’m sure they otherwise appreciate your sage advice, though.

Missy on June 8, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Petunia flowerchild wrote that about Palin, not me.
I wrote the part where I called Petunia a delusional dumbass.

Amjean on June 8, 2011 at 7:20 AM

Ah, my bad with the wrong attribution! Sorry, Amjean.

whatcat on June 8, 2011 at 9:45 AM

DaMav on June 8, 2011 at 9:01 AM

I think any candidate who’s focus is on attacking Republicans instead of Obama should be rejected put of hand.

whatcat on June 8, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Bachmann was dead silent when the Tea Party and Sarah Palin was vilified during the Tucson tragedy in which Congresswoman Giffords was shot. I was, and remain, quite unimpressed. Additionally, hiring PDS-guru Rollins after Palin helped Bachmann retain her seat was both vapid and disloyal — not traits I intend to reward with monies or a vote.

Mutnodjmet on June 8, 2011 at 10:01 AM

whatcat on June 8, 2011 at 9:54 AM

X 1,000,000.

Mutnodjmet on June 8, 2011 at 10:03 AM

he_nile on June 8, 2011 at 4:04 AM
We’ll see.
cs89 on June 8, 2011 at 7:04 AM

Bachmann forfeited all cred when she hired Rollins. If this was a naive or ignorant decision, she’s not qualified to be dogcatcher. Surprised so many here are willing to give her a pass.

eaglesdontflock on June 8, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Is it possible Rollins and Huckabee cooked this up as a means to destroy the field so Huckabee can jump in when the earth is scorched so badly nothing else will grow?

eaglesdontflock on June 8, 2011 at 10:31 AM

I like both Bachmann and Palin, though I am not in any way committed to either as candidates, but Michelle Bachmann should be very, very careful of Ed Rollins!

Many of us vividly remember when he boastfully, stupidly and unnecessarily opened his mouth and touched off a huge controversy here in NJ, back in 1993, immediately following the narrow election victory of Christine Todd Whitman when she took out tax-and-spend mogul, Jim Florio, by making comments that were quickly taken by the media as racially-tinged, and which even suggested that her campaign had done things that they had never done. It actually put her narrow victory under a mini-cloud for a considerable period of time, and was the last thing anyone with any sense would have said!

Rollins is an open mouth, insert foot kind of guy of the first worst order.

Here was one of the initial articles in the NY Times, dated November 10th, that touched off the firestorm of controversy.

Trochilus on June 8, 2011 at 10:40 AM

The A Pundit is continuing his Palin bash. I suppose a strong, conservative woman isn’t his gig, huh?

Anyway, Rollins said the same thing about his new employer.

Don’t believe me, look at your own website.

TexasDude on June 8, 2011 at 10:48 AM

And here was the NY Times article from a few months later, on January 14th, which memorialized the fact that Mr. Rollins subsequently told state and federal investigators that he had been lying when he made the comments back in November right after the election.

From the NYT update from mid-January:

[Rollins]cast a pall over her victory by asserting later that the campaign had laid out a half-million dollars in “street money” to discourage get-out-the-vote efforts by black clergy and Democratic workers.

Mr. Rollins later swore he had lied, and after investigators were satisfied that he had, the issue faded.

It turned out, of course, that it was the Democrats who had spent the huge sums on “street money” in the election!.

But s I said in my prior comment, “Michelle Bachmann should be very, very careful of Ed Rollins!”

Trochilus on June 8, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Good for Bachmann, I say!

cs89 on June 7, 2011 at 10:34 PM
MB may have called Gov. Palin, however, I “betcha” Palin
did not take the call.
Amjean

Heh. And it looks like the rest of Bachmann’s staff is just as dishonest as Rollins, going by the returned call to cs89. Pretty insane to target Republicans for attack when there’s target rich administration to pound away at to really earn some points and to soften the territory up for the general election.

whatcat on June 8, 2011 at 11:15 AM

And Palin was the only one who didn’t cancel a certain large Tea Party event, when others fled

It is actually a mistake to claim leadership of a movement which doesn’t elect leaders, but that assumes we understand the motives

Why alienate an influential potential ally before you absolutely have to?

Good question

Answer that question and you win the jackpot

entagor on June 8, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Neither has Obama. Nor Mitt Wrongney, nor Schmuckabee, nor any of a half-dozen candidates I could name.

Uncle Sams Nephew on June 8, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Masochistic wants a Palin response via Facebook. Lack of attention from his boss, perhaps?

ProudPalinFan on June 8, 2011 at 1:52 PM

if Romney is the nominee and picks Bachmann I won’t be surprised.

After all, even Margaret Thatcher thinks Palin is “NUTS” according to her handlers.

I love how the LAT sleazewads use a picture of Jimmy Carter instead of one of her with Reagan. Despicable wretches.

PappyD61 on June 8, 2011 at 1:53 PM

uh oh, someone got eggy on their face.

Did Palin get an invitation or not?

PappyD61 on June 8, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Wow, I must not be paying close enough attention. I didn’t realize that Bachmann had hired this tool. I now have some serious reservations about her judgment, hiring Mr. “walking around money” is a lapse of judgment that can’t be overlooked. His idiotic attacks on Palin can be ignored, he’s a fool.

drewmesq on June 8, 2011 at 2:10 PM