Creepy must-see flashback: Weiner lies shamelessly to ABC about what happened

posted at 8:02 pm on June 6, 2011 by Allahpundit

How creepy? Creepy enough that ABC posted this footage (which was recorded a few days ago, of course) just within the past hour and then sent around the link via e-mail. I didn’t go hunting through their archives for it, in other words; they’re pushing it on people tonight themselves because, understandably, they (a) want to atone for having aired this guy’s lies as news last week and (b) presumably want the world to see what an almost pathologically fluid liar he was when cornered. The last 80 seconds of it will have you squirming in your seat — not only the way he claims to be the innocent target of a hoax but his insistence on lecturing the interviewer for assuming the worst, taking care to maintain accusatory eye contact the whole way. It’s genuinely disturbing.

If, like me, you felt bad for him when he choked up at his presser today, spend four minutes watching this. It’ll straighten you right out. And if you still feel bad after that, read the Corner’s round-up of last week’s conspiracy theories in Weiner’s defense. In a sane world, the people mentioned in that post would be the angriest at AW tonight for making them look like royal chumps. Instead, rest assured, most or all of them will end up doubling down by casting Weiner as the victim instead. Not ABC, though. Good for them for holding him accountable.

Update: At Slate, Jack Shafer says the endless apologies after the endless lies only make the whole thing creepier:

He called his behavior, including his many lies about claiming he’d been hacked, “a terrible mistake.” He said he was sorry so many times that his utterances reached the point of semantic satiation—completely bled of meaning and heard only as strange repetitive sounds…

Weiner owes me no apology for his serial lies because I understand that that’s what politicians do when they’re cornered by their fibs or unseemly behavior. I’m not even sore with him for scapegoating the press over a problem of his own making. That, too, goes with the territory. Nor am I outraged that he went onto national television to attempt to cover up his lies, telling Rachel Maddow that he wasn’t “trying to be evasive” and he just didn’t “know” whether the Tweeted drawers photo was of him. For me, when the mass of lies equals the mass of apologies, the whole package congeals into some new sociopathic form for which there is yet no name. (Weinerite, perhaps?) That he was caught lying about his personal life, and not about public policy, doesn’t really matter to me. By demonstrating that he’s as good a liar as he is an apologizer, Weiner tells us everything we need to know about him.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Weiner Brooklyned the ABC reporter. All that blather comes down to this: “I’m from Brooklyn! You got a problem wid dat?”

He’s just another fast-talking punk from Brooklyn who thinks he can baffle people with BS. The ABC guy was baffled.

SilentWatcher on June 6, 2011 at 11:53 PM

Feel sorry for him? I was laughing my ass off as he was sobbing from behind that podium.

thphilli on June 7, 2011 at 12:15 AM

If you want to see real professional-grade lying, watch it with the sound off – just look at the self-righteousness with which he attempts to dominate the interviewer, who can hardly get a word in, even though he is being incredibly polite.

This creep is a life-long practicing sociopath, and should not be anywhere near any position that gives him the opportunity to hurt others, because he will use it, and he will enjoy it.

ps. Check out the eye flick toward the camera at about 3:50 – it clearly says “I’m pretty slick here, huh? Yeah, damn right, I’m damn good!”.

drunyan8315 on June 7, 2011 at 12:26 AM

He so disgusting!
For all he tried to do to Glenn – he can fry!

Bambi on June 7, 2011 at 12:50 AM

Joe McCarthy comes to mind.

flataffect on June 7, 2011 at 2:26 AM

Demonic. (Okay no more press for Coulter.) But a serious sociopath. I’m embarrassed to state that every time I give someone the slightest benefit of the doubt, I am made a fool of. I actually felt sorry for him up there today. The only thing that dented that sorrow was the flashes or steely anger when people were calling out for clarifications during his answers. And then I saw that he only cried and snorfled when he mentioned his wife. He was only pissed that his wife found out! Not us. She apparently has the bigger balls in the family.

But then I saw some replays of his interviews and I realized that, yes, he’s just as good an apologizer as a liar. Very dangerous.

flicker on June 7, 2011 at 2:53 AM

I honestly thought he was a mensch today…for about 20 minutes. But then I remembered that Rangle cried, too, didn’t he? And he is unrepentant, too.

flicker on June 7, 2011 at 3:04 AM

That link is broken. New link:

Ferris on June 7, 2011 at 8:43 AM

Look… that kind of smug condescension that makes Anthony Weiner such a ‘powerful voice on the Left’ doesn’t end or somehow goes away simply because he’s apologized. Not at all. And only a fool would think so.

Rather, from this point forward he’ll double-down on it and you can bet your bottom dollar that anybody who asks him a question about this incident will be summarily dismissed by another condescending remark like: “I’ve apologized and have put this entire matter behind me. We’ve moved on and you need to stop wallowing in the past and move on too. I’m not going to answer any more questions about it so if you continue with such inappropriate questions, this interview is over.”.

Mahdi on June 7, 2011 at 9:46 AM

This is news? This little Commie has been lying shamelessly his entire life. With gusto I may add. I don’t feel a bit sorry for him. I hope the DemCommies keep him right where he is. He’ll be ineffective from here on…..

adamsmith on June 7, 2011 at 10:51 AM

If, like me, you felt bad for him when he choked up at his presser today

I felt bad for the public having to wait through Weiner’s latest performance. His “choked up” bit was Weiner expressing his failed ego-needs, in other words, “feeling sorry for himself.” He was NOT feeling remorse (not what I got from his performance, anyway), he was feeling angry and embittered that he was having to continue to contend with the public’s scrutiny. It wasn’t remorse or something similar that the public should feel compassion for, it was Weiner displaying more of what he thinks will get him excused again after being caught being a total jerk.

Lourdes on June 7, 2011 at 10:59 AM

He’s a pathological, serial liar.

Tim_CA on June 7, 2011 at 12:10 PM

I read an article in the Philadelphia Inquirer today (print issue) that names an ABC employee as a recipient of Weiner’s tweets. This just goes to show how connected the media and the Democrats are. What I would like to know is – Did ABC know? Will they fire this employee for withholding information.
I don’t have the paper with me, but can provide the name if you like. She was even quoted in the piece.

djaymick on June 7, 2011 at 12:50 PM

They are always sorry, sorry they got caught. If he didn’t get caught he would still be sending his crotch to all the ladies. Loser

Greed on June 7, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Remember when Anthony Weiner Introduced a bill for a 1,000 visa slots for foreign models. One of the requirements was you had to touch his monkey.

Greed on June 7, 2011 at 4:38 PM