CBS: Chronic unemployment worse than Great Depression

posted at 11:30 am on June 6, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

The media began the weekend making unfavorable comparisons between Barack Obama’s economy and the Great Depression, and now they’re beginning the week with another one — and this one’s more accurate.  CBS delved into the jobless numbers and discovered that the percentage of unemployed who have been out of work for more than six months now exceeds that of the 1930s economic collapse:

There is an unfortunate adage for the unemployed: The longer folks are out of a job, the longer it takes them to find a new one.

CBS News correspondent Ben Tracy reports that the chronically unemployed face the hardest road back to recovery, and that while the jobs picture may be improving statistically on a national level, it is not for them. …

About 6.2 million Americans, 45.1 percent of all unemployed workers in this country, have been jobless for more than six months – a higher percentage than during the Great Depression.

There is a hard and fast rule for presidential politics: if your results have to be compared to the Great Depression in order to look good, you’re in serious trouble.  If your results look worse than the Great Depression, you’re in deep trouble.  And if the media starts to report that your results make the Great Depression look better, especially if you’re a Democrat, then you may want to plan for your retirement earlier than expected.

As I noted this weekend, the housing market comparison is accurate but somewhat out of context.  This, however, is not just fairly contextual, it also leaves out a further complicating factor, which is that in the intervening year, another 440,000 people have left the workforce altogether.  Those people have not been counted in the A-12 chart from which this is taken.  When those get added back, the percentage of those out of work 6 months or more will almost certainly rise.  (If they’re all at 27 weeks or longer, the percentage jumps to 47.7%, which is higher than last year’s 46.2%.)

When Barack Obama took office, the US has 5.866 million people who wanted work but who had left the workforce calculations, that number has risen to 6.821 million in May, the highest recorded during Obama’s term of office, and the highest since January 1994.  Adding back the 955,000 people who have left the workforce but want a job since January 2009 would raise the unemployment rate from the current 9.1% to 9.6%, and it would put the number of unemployed (14,869,000) at its highest level since November of last year.

The news is bad for Obama no matter how one slices it.  The worst news is that the media are now making those comparisons explicit.

Comments

Oh hell! The Redhead on the phone is down again! It must REALLY be bad!!!

Dingbat63 on June 6, 2011 at 11:32 AM

2012 GOP Slogan:

“Can YOU afford another 4 years?”

portlandon on June 6, 2011 at 11:32 AM

You don’t say?! When was it these people were crowing about how wonderful the Recovery was?

Badger40 on June 6, 2011 at 11:32 AM

So is the housing market…

PatriotRider on June 6, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Was there an illegal alien problem during the Great Depression?

darwin-t on June 6, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Hey Obama asked for it, he got it.

csdeven on June 6, 2011 at 11:35 AM

The news is bad for Obama no matter how one slices it. The worst news is that the media are now making those comparisons explicit.

Bad ideas = bad news.

Obama: America’s $4 trillion mistake.

BobMbx on June 6, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Oh hell! The Redhead on the phone is down again! It must REALLY be bad!!!

Dingbat63 on June 6, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Preach it!

Resign, Mr President. Say hello to President Biden, per the 25th Amendment. And I’d be happier.

NaCly dog on June 6, 2011 at 11:37 AM

1932 Great Depression Meal: Lard spread on Bread. Potato Mash.

2011 Depression Meal: Dollar Menu Burger. Small Fry.

portlandon on June 6, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Change you can believe in !!!

txdoc on June 6, 2011 at 11:37 AM

I think we are on the hump to a depression.

I am thanking God for the bite we got on our cabin and looks like we will be selling it.

I am also starting my own small business again, and I am worried about the taxes concerning it.

And it isn’t like collegge classes or freaking books are getting cheaper. Nor is gas, food, etc. I may just go for my masters and be done with it.

I am so dang frustrated about this, that the time I took to quite smoking again, this just makes me want a cigarette.

upinak on June 6, 2011 at 11:38 AM

So it’s McDonalds or wait for a piano to fall on someone?

unlisted on June 6, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Too late for those in the old media business trying to get their cred back.

These jour0Lists are worse than Pravda, those in the old soviet had guns pointed at their heads (or their beloved’ heads), so to speak.

These guys did it not only freely on their own, but with such embarrassing obviousness, they destroyed their reputations forever.

Sir Napsalot on June 6, 2011 at 11:40 AM

college not collegge.

blah, it’s monday.

upinak on June 6, 2011 at 11:40 AM

But why is Obama’s Rassmussen Favorability Rating at 50-50. He is not being stuck with this Economy. When you read articles or listen on the radio, you hear things like “subborn” unemployment, etc.

Can you imagine if Bush were President right now under the same circumstances. Each night the news would start with “unemployment still over 9 %–worst since the Great Depression.” Hell, they would probably declare that we are in a Depression. It would be Bush’s Great Depression…

Let’s start the push on “Obama’s Great Depression.”

RedSoxNation on June 6, 2011 at 11:41 AM

1932 Great Depression Meal: Lard spread on Bread. Potato Mash.

2011 Depression Meal: Dollar Menu Burger. Small Fry.

portlandon on June 6, 2011 at 11:37 AM

LOL!
Honestly, I’d take the lard, bread, & potato mash any day compared to fast food.
At least you know the former is real food.

Badger40 on June 6, 2011 at 11:41 AM

college not collegge.

blah, it’s monday.

upinak on June 6, 2011 at 11:40 AM

LOL!
College= collage of mostly useless trivia.

Badger40 on June 6, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Badger40 on June 6, 2011 at 11:32 AM

you mean is? They still believe it is going on.

upinak on June 6, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Very few in the media, you won’t hear this on CNN or msdnc …..

cmsinaz on June 6, 2011 at 11:43 AM

The redhead is so desperate she’d probably work on Anthony Weiner’s staff.
Err..poor phrasing, maybe.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on June 6, 2011 at 11:44 AM

LOL!
College= collage of mostly useless trivia.

Badger40 on June 6, 2011 at 11:42 AM

very true. I am about to go to the Finance Office again to talk to them about why they don’t have their crap together.

I have a small loan, I also paid half of my classes in cash. They have me with a full loan and said I had no promisary note nor did I pay any cash. Good thing I am OCD organized and I am going to have a little word with them today.

upinak on June 6, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Our 18 year old finally got a job after looking for a year. It’s about 20 miles from our little town but at least he finally has a job. The one good thing about this job is he’ll be able to keep it while in college and work in the city his college is in.

I have others in my family in WI that have been out of work for longer than 6 months and have had jobs only to be laid off again due to down sizing and need a job again.

Hopefully in 2012 we can get some real hope and change in the White House and get a real recovery going.

Brat4life on June 6, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Err..poor phrasing, maybe. Dr. Carlo Lombardi on June 6, 2011 at 11:44 AM

But hilarious.

Dingbat63 on June 6, 2011 at 11:47 AM

1932 Great Depression Meal: Lard spread on Bread. Potato Mash.

2011 Depression Meal: Dollar Menu Burger. Small Fry.

portlandon on June 6, 2011 at 11:37 AM

The obama Admin. would like people to think we’re in a recovery but I call it the Ramen recovery as I’m eating a lot moe ramen than I’d like.

Yakko77 on June 6, 2011 at 11:47 AM

At least you know the former is real food.

Badger40 on June 6, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Stop badgering people!

Lanceman on June 6, 2011 at 11:48 AM

HotAir uses this same photo over and over again when discussing unemployment. I have to wonder if the young woman ever got a job or knows that she is a regular on HotAir.

Can you tell us Allahpundit?

SC.Charlie on June 6, 2011 at 11:50 AM

But Sarah Palin talks funny!
/sarc

If only we had something, like oh, say, oil that we could drill for, producing our own energy and employing Americans.

rbj on June 6, 2011 at 11:50 AM

RedSoxNation, you’re right on the money. “Obama’s Great Depression” is all I’m going to call it, because that’s what it is. He’s done everything he possibly can to economically collapse the United States. That’s his goal and he’s doing an excellent job of it.

There’s no way Obama can be re-elected with this lousy economy without massive voter fraud. I can’t even imagine how many illegals, deceased, pets, etc. will be voting in 2012.

Lizzy on June 6, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Obama: America’s $4 trillion mistake.

BobMbx on June 6, 2011 at 11:37 AM

If only. I fear the tab will be A LOT higher than that.

Sir Napsalot on June 6, 2011 at 11:51 AM

CBS: Obamanomics unemployment worse than Great Depression
FI…

RalphyBoy on June 6, 2011 at 11:51 AM

This should be the most damning statistic of all on how much of a failure the last three years have been (yes, including much of 2008).

Red Cloud on June 6, 2011 at 11:51 AM

2012 GOP Slogan:
“Can YOU afford another 4 years?”
portlandon on June 6, 2011 at 11:32 AM

How about this for a 2012 GOP Slogan:
“Any Foldable money left with your CHANGE?”

SayNo2-O on June 6, 2011 at 11:52 AM

There is a difference though, isn’t there? In the Thirties people were actually looking – far and wide – for work.

Today is just too easy.

OldEnglish on June 6, 2011 at 11:53 AM

RedSoxNation on June 6, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Because polls are conducted to shape opinion, not to reveal it.

ladyingray on June 6, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Democrats: I know….we’ll spend MORE money, and things will get better! *SIGH*

capejasmine on June 6, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Mass Media Spin: Not having jobs is racist. Record numbers of Americans do not have jobs. Therefore, America is a racist country.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on June 6, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Then you read a link on drudge, where dear leader cannot be labeled an incumbent…..

Seriously?

cmsinaz on June 6, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Stop badgering people!

Lanceman on June 6, 2011 at 11:48 AM

HoneyBadger don’t take no $hit!

upinak on June 6, 2011 at 11:45 AM

I have noticed through my almost 7 yrs of college experience that Financial Aid offices often don’t know WTH is ever going on. You get different answers every time you ask a question.
Just like with govt agencies.
Which I consider financial aid offices to mostly be.
Bcs that’s where colleges get a LOT of their $$$ from.
The Fed Govt. Who sets the price of a college education.
Just like they set the price of health care.
I truly hate the fed.

Brat4life on June 6, 2011 at 11:46 AM

I am seeing a LOT of WI folks coming here to ND for jobs.
Bcs there are jobs here.

Badger40 on June 6, 2011 at 11:56 AM

We all know O’voters among friends, neighbors and family.
Suggest we all send them this link. The hardcore will not be phased. But the Jaywalking types, the mushheads, this MIGHT sink a bit.

james23 on June 6, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Not having jobs is racist. Record numbers of Americans do not have jobs. Therefore, Obama’s America is a racist country.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on June 6, 2011 at 11:55 AM

RalphyBoy on June 6, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Correction, ‘not act like an incumbent’

cmsinaz on June 6, 2011 at 11:58 AM

All you college students, hope you’re majoring in burger flipping.

Count it!

Rebar on June 6, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Because polls are conducted to shape opinion, not to reveal it.

ladyingray on June 6, 2011 at 11:54 AM

+10

Today is just too easy.

OldEnglish on June 6, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Bcs they had very little in the form of welfare back then.
So people actually had to work to survive.
No Man Babies in their adult cribs being coddled by some 500lb grotesque enabler, both living off of the govt teat in perpetuity.
Even, *gasp*, disabled people had to work, unless their families or charities etc. were supporting them, like it should be.
What a freaking concept.

Badger40 on June 6, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Does someone know the length of unemployment benefits during the great depression?

GaltBlvnAtty on June 6, 2011 at 12:00 PM

OT:

Debbie Wasserman Schultz is a GOP godsend.

[I]f you go back to the year 2000, when we had an obvious disaster and – and saw that our voting process needed refinement, and we did that in the America Votes Act and made sure that we could iron out those kinks, now you have the Republicans, who want to literally drag us all the way back to Jim Crow laws and literally – and very transparently – block access to the polls to voters who are more likely to vote Democratic candidates than Republican candidates. And it’s nothing short of that blatant.

Red Cloud on June 6, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Count it!

Rebar on June 6, 2011 at 11:58 AM

You know it’s funny burger flipping gets such a bad rep.
Bcs it is work. And all work is respectable.
Plus, McDonald’s is not a bad company to work for from what I;ve seen.
My daughter worked there for a while.
She enjoyed it & was treated well.
We must also keep in mind that there are advancement opportunities in these kinds of jobs, if only people will work toward advancement.

Badger40 on June 6, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Since Obama keeps saying, “I inherited this mess,” the GOP nominee ought to campaign against liberalism rather than merely against Obama.
Liberalism caused the downturn, & liberalism is making it worse.
Just like liberalism caused the Depression, & liberalism made it worse.
Reagan campaigned against liberalism.

itsnotaboutme on June 6, 2011 at 12:01 PM

More Obama 2012 stickers on gas pumps!!!

Roy Rogers on June 6, 2011 at 12:02 PM

The signs of Obowma’s failed policies based on a failed ideology are all around us to see on a daily basis…

… and he is running for re-election.

Let that sink in for a little while…

Seven Percent Solution on June 6, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Was there an illegal alien problem during the Great Depression?

darwin-t on June 6, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Hardly think so since they’d be competing for jobs that “Americans don’t want”. This was the era of “Grapes of Wrath” and Woody Guthrie.

AH_C on June 6, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Boy, how low can Leftists stoop?

From Free Republic

Nazi-era Technology Embraced by Republicans in U.S. Congress in the Name of National Energy Security

Monday, June 06, 2011 11:55:38 AM · by bananaman22 · 25 replies

OilPrice.com ^ | 06/06/2011 | John Daly

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on June 6, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Oh hell! The Redhead on the phone is down again! It must REALLY be bad!!!

Dingbat63 on June 6, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Can we at least give her a name? I suggest: Erin, Fiona, Ruby, Megan, Colleen, Chelsea or Molly?

Fallon on June 6, 2011 at 12:05 PM

If only. I fear the tab will be A LOT higher than that.

Sir Napsalot on June 6, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Thats the current account. He’s got just under two years to go, and then of course, the payment for the “unintended consequences” that we can only say are going to be huge.

BobMbx on June 6, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Wow, CBS reports on something bloggers have been talking about for days via having looked at stats that bloggers having been talking about for, what, over a year?

I’m impressed … *fawn* … CBS, my Trifecta of Win!

I give this a three “unexpectedly” rating.

Dusty on June 6, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Badger40 on June 6, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Exactly! No matter how high the unemployment figures go, there will be no Hunger Marches, spanning the length and breadth of the land.

OldEnglish on June 6, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Fallon on June 6, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Lady Liberty?

BobMbx on June 6, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Badger40 on June 6, 2011 at 12:01 PM

The people taking those jobs, are not new workers entering the workforce. They are well experienced people who’s job was destroyed by the 0bama regime, and they need to feed their families.

When half the jobs in America are burger flipping, and ten people apply for each open slot, the economy is literally down the toilet.

Rebar on June 6, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Unexpected!

crazy_legs on June 6, 2011 at 12:07 PM

This was the era of “Grapes of Wrath” and Woody Guthrie.

AH_C on June 6, 2011 at 12:03 PM

This reminds me of the opportunities in agriculture that there are now.
I know of many farmers & ranchers who cannot keep help bcs the work is hard.
The pay isn’t bad & many provide health & retirement benefits.
Plus housing & beef.
Lots of farmers & ranchers I know who have hired men also give them opportunities to farm on their own by lending them their equipment & helping them get farm ground leased.
Ranchers I know let their hands buy & run their own cows with their boss’ herd.
But no one wants to do this work.
I met a young man at a branding a coupla days ago.
Works for a guy we know down in SD.
He’s 25yo, married with a 1 & a 2yo, stay at home wife.
They worked on a ranch in ID & when it got sold, he went to work for our friend.
He’s being treated very well.
The work is out there.
People are just often lazy & unwilling to change their lives in order to provide for themselves & their families.

Badger40 on June 6, 2011 at 12:08 PM

OldEnglish on June 6, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Not until Mooochelle starts frisking your pantry

Roy Rogers on June 6, 2011 at 12:09 PM

But read the story -
Not one mention of Obama, the Democrats, the White House, Geitner, etc, etc, etc.

No one at CBS asked the White House to comment, nothing.

CBS makes no connection between this problem and the policies of Obama/Democrats.

albill on June 6, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Rebar on June 6, 2011 at 12:07 PM

I understand that is the case sometimes.
But not all the time.
Here in ND there are not 10 people applying for each job.
There may be none, or one.
I was just making the point that these jobs are not bad for someone with no skills.
If I were to find myself out of work as a science teacher, & could not find a well paying job, which I’m confident I could now, I’d still be happy to work than sit & get welfare.
I have no problem working in the local cafe.
But you are right about BO destroying the economy.
His policies, & others before him,+ Congress & the Fed govt in general, are responsible for causing many people to lose their businesses & jobs.

Badger40 on June 6, 2011 at 12:12 PM

But, but – what’s-her-face said that people *were* better off than they were four years ago!

Midas on June 6, 2011 at 12:12 PM

The news is bad for Obama no matter how one slices it.

FORE !!!

fogw on June 6, 2011 at 12:12 PM

college not collegge.

blah, it’s monday.

upinak on June 6, 2011 at 11:40 AM

lol With my typing skills, everyday is Monday.

csdeven on June 6, 2011 at 12:12 PM

albill on June 6, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Fair & balanced reporting./

Badger40 on June 6, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Dedicated to Stimulus Joe Biden:

Say it ain’t so, Joe please, say it ain’t so
That’s not what I wanna hear Joe
Ain’t I got a right to know
Say it ain’t so, Joe please, say it ain’t so
I’m sure they telling us lies Joe,
Please tell us it ain’t so.

They told us our hero has played his trump card
He doesn’t know how to go on.
We’re clinging to his charm and determined smile,
But the good old days have gone.

The image and the empire may be failing apart
The money has gotten scarce
One man’s word held the country together,
But the truth is getting fierce

Say it ain’t so, Joe please, say it ain’t so
We pinned our hope on you Joe
And they’re ruining our show

Roger Daltrey covering the Murray Head song.

We’re gonna get burned.

mankai on June 6, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Not until Mooochelle starts frisking your pantry

Roy Rogers on June 6, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Doritos= $100 fine.

Badger40 on June 6, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Phht. Working for a living is ‘acting white’.

slickwillie2001 on June 6, 2011 at 12:16 PM

But read the story -

No one at CBS asked the White House to comment, nothing.

[albill on June 6, 2011 at 12:10 PM]

So, there is a reason for those layers of ‘fact-checkers’ after all.

Dusty on June 6, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Can’t believe CBS is actually reporting this.

The car is still in the ditch. He made it worse. OTP.

petefrt on June 6, 2011 at 12:19 PM

@upinak on June 6, 2011 at 11:38 AM
O/T
Not an ad for them but I quit smoking tobacco using an E CIG.
Very satisfying and no odors or additives.

docflash on June 6, 2011 at 12:20 PM

It’s just not that things are bad now, but what’s going to make them better under Obama? More debt? More spending? Higher taxes? New regulations? Our ship-of-state is not only going in the wrong direction, but our captain doesn’t know any other direction.

Fred 2 on June 6, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Not an entirely fair comparison. In the 1930′s, there were no unemplyment checks being handed out. If you didn’t work, you didn’t eat. Or you stood in a soup line.

Today, people can get 99 weeks on the dole. Not a strong incentive to get back to work, for those that prefer the couch.

I wouldn’t let the inequity of the comparison keep me from beating them over the head with it, though.

iurockhead on June 6, 2011 at 12:24 PM

[Dr. Charles G. Waugh on June 6, 2011 at 12:05 PM]

LMAO. Hmmm, what other technology did the Nazi’s work on?

I got it … railroads!

Breaking: Nazi-era Technology Embraced by Obama Administration in the Name of National Energy Security and Climate Change.

Joe Biden hardest hit.

Dusty on June 6, 2011 at 12:27 PM

…..meanwhile the lobbyists, politicians and their Wall Street bagmen are swimming taxpayer money.

The system is so beyond corrupt it’s a joke.

Repeat after me: there is no free market – only cronyism.

rickyricardo on June 6, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Hey, I suggest that HotAir put the redhead on the payroll or at least pay her a small royalty every time they use her image. Come on HotAir step up to the table.

SC.Charlie on June 6, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Can’t believe CBS is actually reporting this.

The car is still in the ditch. He made it worse. OTP.

petefrt on June 6, 2011 at 12:19 PM

The wheels on the bus go round and round…

Roy Rogers on June 6, 2011 at 12:44 PM

If you can’t find work, you can always stay at home and tweet your junk.

ElectricPhase on June 6, 2011 at 12:52 PM

If you can’t find work, you can always stay at home and tweet your junk. – ElectricPhase on June 6, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Is that you Congressman Weiner?

SC.Charlie on June 6, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Let’s start the push on “Obama’s Great Depression.”

RedSoxNation on June 6, 2011 at 11:41 AM

I like the term, “The Great Obpression.”

jackal40 on June 6, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Was there an illegal alien problem during the Great Depression?

darwin-t on June 6, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Our illegal immigrant problem started a few years before the “Great” depression. Just ask the people in Columbus, New Mexico.

Old Country Boy on June 6, 2011 at 1:15 PM

The worst news is that the media are now making those comparisons explicit.

Even the lying MSM can’t hide what most people (excluding Obamabots) already know.

GarandFan on June 6, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Obamapression, obamagas and obamacare. Methinks a new word is being coined.

SC.Charlie on June 6, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Thank you President Obama.

crr6 on May 1, 2011 at 10:45 PM

rogerb on June 6, 2011 at 1:37 PM

D = Depression

R = Recovery

rockmom on June 6, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Took the Lame Stream a while to what some of us have been saying for some time.

dogsoldier on June 6, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Barack H. Obama, for the good of the country please resign.

{o.o}