Cops, firefighters stand by and watch as California man drowns

posted at 10:00 pm on June 3, 2011 by Allahpundit

Not just cops and firefighters, either. Spectators watched too, including his elderly stepmother, who was too frail to dive into the water herself.

It took an hour.

Weaver noted that a 2009 policy – revoked this week – prohibited firefighters from participating in water rescues. The policy was implemented after budget cuts ended water-rescue training. OK, I counter, but surely some first responders had been trained before 2009. Weaver’s answer: Yes, but they lacked the right equipment.

Weaver assured me that the firefighters who were on the scene feel horrible about what happened. “Every one of our members who was on that scene wishes that the policy would have allowed them to do something at some point,” he explained.

Any firefighter who broke with policy could have landed in a world of bureaucratic payback. That’s the problem. No government worker in America gets fired for following the rules.

As Russo put it, “We need an approach toward public service that is less rule-bound and more willing to take risk.”

That’s Debra Saunders, wondering whether the PD and FD would have been as respectful of bureaucratic rules if it had been a kid out there drowning. Cops note that there was no way to tell whether Zack was armed and dangerous, but of course that’s true for almost anyone attempting suicide. A guy sitting on a bridge rail is as likely to be concealing a weapon as this guy was, yet police will still try to grab him if they can. The city’s not buying the excuses, in any event: Given the national outcry over what happened, they’ve already decided to relax the policy against water rescues.

Wondering how the body was brought back to shore, incidentally? Turns out … a bystander decided to swim out there and get it, once Zack finally went horizontal in the water and started floating face down. Exit question: Isn’t this story just a darker, more tragic version of this one?

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

“Hey, jumpin into water costs money.”

Akzed on June 3, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Look for the union label, it’s all over this.

Tim Zank on June 3, 2011 at 10:03 PM

What??? Holy schnykees. That’s horrible.

I would have tried to help him for free. That’s just me I guess.

Maybe he could have handed over his comic book collection afterward, if everything worked out ok.

or something.

rightwingyahooo on June 3, 2011 at 10:03 PM

“Sorry Pal. I’d like to save you, but my Union & Government bosses say I ain’t certified. I can retrieve your body though. Please Try to drowned over here where your body will be easier to retrieve.”

portlandon on June 3, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Maybe they should start charging people $50 a year or something so that the firefighters won’t stand around and watch. Just don’t whine if you don’t pay the $50.

SouthernGent on June 3, 2011 at 10:04 PM

sad.

ted c on June 3, 2011 at 10:05 PM

It’s way more important to pay for cell phones for unemployed people than it is to properly train and equip emergency responders.

suburbanite on June 3, 2011 at 10:05 PM

““Every one of our members who was on that scene wishes that the policy would have allowed them to do something at some point,” he explained.”

I guess being a union goon…

… takes precident over being a decent human being any day.

Seven Percent Solution on June 3, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Sometimes a person has to say, “To Hell With The Rules.”
These people are a disgrace! They should be prosecuted for manslaughter.

lonestar1 on June 3, 2011 at 10:08 PM

suburbanite on June 3, 2011 at 10:05 PM

If you can’t swim, why the hell are you fit to be an emergency responder.

katy the mean old lady on June 3, 2011 at 10:09 PM

“That’s Debra Saunders, wondering whether the PD and FD would have been as respectful of bureaucratic rules if it had been a kid out there drowning.”

Someone asked the head honcho that question, and he said that he would have done the same thing. Ya know, cause of the policy.

IIRC, it was a 22 year old nurse who finally went out and retrieved the body.

salmonczar on June 3, 2011 at 10:10 PM

The Fire Department did confirm they would watch a child drown based upon this policy.

Well, if I was off duty I would know what I would do, but I think you’re asking me my on-duty response and I would have to stay within our policies and procedures because that’s what’s required by our department to do, Alameda Fire Div. Chief Ricci Zombeck said when asked by ABC7 if he would enter the water to save a drowning child.

FireDrake on June 3, 2011 at 10:11 PM

Public sector unions…friends of the people…looking out the little guy.

AUINSC on June 3, 2011 at 10:11 PM

It’s a shame to see so many people that are slaves to legalism. I figure human decency would take president over bureaucracy. Again I give mankind too much credit.

Jesse on June 3, 2011 at 10:12 PM

They were just following orders…

equanimous on June 3, 2011 at 10:12 PM

The policy says its fine to stand around doing nothing for an hour? That seems plenty of time to call up someone and have them bring down their floaties and a blanket.

pedestrian on June 3, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Every day, I am becoming more and more convinced that we, as a species, no longer deserve to exist.

Fatal on June 3, 2011 at 10:13 PM

I mean WTF man?

WTF…

equanimous on June 3, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Jesse on June 3, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Ain’t the 21st century grand?

Limerick on June 3, 2011 at 10:14 PM

BTW, for the non-Californians, Alameda’s county seat is Oakland. Yeah, THAT Oakland, CA.

salmonczar on June 3, 2011 at 10:17 PM

What a disgrace! To bad the boy scouts weren’t on scene. At least they would make an attempt to save the man.

MCGIRV on June 3, 2011 at 10:18 PM

IIRC, it was a 22 year old nurse who finally went out and retrieved the body.

salmonczar on June 3, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Right here.

“Well, if I was off duty, I would know what I would do, but I think you’re asking me my on-duty response, and I would have to stay within our policies and procedures because that’s what’s required by our department to do,” Alameda Fire Division Chief Ricci Zombeck said when asked by KGO TV ABC7 if he would enter the water to save a drowning child.

I hope this sumb!tch chokes on his $200k yearly pension he will start drawing when he retires 10 or 15 years before the rest of us could.

Mark1971 on June 3, 2011 at 10:20 PM

I hope they arrested the unauthorized civilian who retrieved the drowned body for illegally moving a corpse without a proper city permit.

profitsbeard on June 3, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Everything the Left touches turns to crap including our first responders…I mean…first bystanders.

NickDeringer on June 3, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Weaver’s answer: Yes, but they lacked the right equipment.

Yeah, those rubber rafts cost a fortune to maintain.

pedestrian on June 3, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Why did they respond at all if they were not going to do anything? It seems incredibly stupid to spend the money to get there and just stand around doing nothing. Oh wait that’s what city workers do. I’ll bet they learned that trick from the highway dept.

meci on June 3, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Exit question: Isn’t this story just a darker, more tragic version of this one?

Allah, that link is to another site’s account of the Zack drowning. I’m guessing you didn’t intend that.

Splashman on June 3, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Unions.

The Mafia.

Paid by you and me. If you don’t pay? Well, uh.

I think you get the message. Yo.

Key West Reader on June 3, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Welcome to the Great Society.
In the farmland areas of America I have lived, this person would still be alive and welcomed in my home.

Electrongod on June 3, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Nazis

equanimous on June 3, 2011 at 10:26 PM

somehow, in some sad way, they turned into bureaucrats.

Men, your honor is tarnished.

AshleyTKing on June 3, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Yeah, those rubber rafts cost a fortune to maintain.

pedestrian on June 3, 2011 at 10:23 PM

I get the joke, but notice that the bystander who retrieved the body didn’t use a raft.

I will never work for an organization (such as the fire dept in this case) who refuses to allow me to use common sense.

Splashman on June 3, 2011 at 10:27 PM

For the most part, cops are Union first, state second, and citizenry third.

The courts on the other hand give favoritism to Police word over yours.

Is something wrong here or is it just me?

MadDogF on June 3, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Hey everybody…

… I have a GREAT idea!

Let us let a bunch of bureaucrats run our health care system…

… Who’s with me?

Oh, wait…!

Seven Percent Solution on June 3, 2011 at 10:29 PM

I have to wonder why people are mad at the FD and PD. Would you risk your life, career and the legal liability to save someone who wants to die? This isnt a case of a guy who got swept out to sea and just needed someone to come get him. As horrible as this situation was for everyone involved I cant exactly feel bad for the guy who got exactly what he wanted.

SnakeintheGrass on June 3, 2011 at 10:29 PM

A boat overturned in Canada off Vancouver Island about 7-10 years ago with a similar result. At least half a dozen people were holding onto life beneath the vessel but the air pocket could not sustain them for much more than 30 minutes. According to the “law”, only the coast guard was permitted to rescue those poor humans but they were at least an hour away. Needless to say, they all perished while the rules were being observed by the local official rescue people.

People died while bureaucrats dialed – for the coast guard.

honsy on June 3, 2011 at 10:29 PM

On the radio, they’ve been saying that she ‘waded out’.

salmonczar on June 3, 2011 at 10:29 PM

“Hey, how come “somebody else” isn’t saving that guy? I can’t save him, I’m not “freaking trained” to save someone!”
“I can’t save him either because our government policy won’t allow it!” The libs in Washington are smiling!
Oh.. and how I love the news announcer repeating how the firefighters and police said “We were just following orders!” Do they not know anything about history? Where they heck have we heard those words before? How about Nazi Germany! And it didn’t save those who were tried in Nuremberg!
For the love of God! This is what we have come to! This is just like the people sitting down in Louisiana during Katrina waiting for “somebody else” to come and rescue them! This kind of mentality is everywhere today! It’s everywhere and in everything!
Walmart fires employees for stopping a madman with a gun! People stand, watch and film while thugs beat some victim to near death! It’s all somebody else’s responsibility! Only experts can intervene! If you haven’t had the proper government training, lie down in a fetal position and just take it!
America may very well be near finished! We are nothing but sheep! Unable to even lift a drowning victim out of shallow water because we lack the appropriate government policy! But we’ll feel sad about it all and attend our support group and go back and demand the government policy be changed.. all after we’ve sat and watched the guy breath is last gasp in front of us! No wonder he was committing suicide! He was surrounded by lunatics and and just couldn’t take it anymore! That suicide victim was probably the sanest guy on the beach!

JellyToast on June 3, 2011 at 10:31 PM

meci on June 3, 2011 at 10:23 PM

What do you call a shovel that stands up by itself?

A 50 % cut in government service jobs.

profitsbeard on June 3, 2011 at 10:32 PM

MCGIRV on June 3, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Nahhh, the Boy Scouts would have been thwarted by the gay rights activists who no doubt would have showed up en masse when notified of their arrival.

Tim Zank on June 3, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Policy? How ’bout your decency allowing you to do something?

predator on June 3, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Oh boy!
=======

Experts:
*********

Authorities Right Not to Act in Alameda Drowning
Budget cuts led to a policy forbidding firefighters from attempting water rescues
Fri 3 2011
**************

But experts in water rescues say those officials made the right choice.
=============

“Emergency responders are being made to look like wimps for failing to intervene in an emergency,” said B. Chris Brewster, former Lifeguard Chief for the City of San Diego and president of the United States Lifesaving Association. “But I think that’s unfair because they lacked the training and equipment.”

Brewster said he has heard numerous stories of people who have died while attempting a water rescue.

Would-be-rescuers have to be strong swimmers. They also need equipment such as a buoy that victims can grab instead of trying to climb onto the rescuer. And then there are techniques to get free in case victims start pulling rescuers under or cutting off their air supply.

Alameda fire and police officials have said their crews lacked that training.

Budget cuts forced the Fire Department to discontinue water rescue training and stop maintaining wetsuits and other rescue gear, Interim Alameda Fire Chief Mike D’Orazi has said. That led to a policy forbidding firefighters from attempting water rescues.

D’Orazi has since ordered staff to reverse that rule and plans to train at least some firefighters in water rescues.

“For public safety personnel, one of the biggest causes of death and injury is going outside of your scope of training,” Brewster said.

The water that Zack, who weighed about 280 pounds, waded into off Crown Memorial State Beach was approximately 54 degrees. It was too shallow for a boat to enter, according to the Coast Guard. A Coast Guard helicopter was not immediately available.

The beach also did not have lifeguards or rescue equipment, according to park officials.

A lifeguard would have been able to rescue Zack, experts said.

But in those water conditions, even a trained rescuer would need a cold water suit, said B.J. Fisher, health and safety director for the American Lifeguard Association.

“Anything under 80 degrees can put you in a situation that is going to bring your core temperature down,” he said.
(More………..)

canopfor on June 3, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Limerick on June 3, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Exactly Limerick. I would like to know what happened to honor and just doing the right thing.

Jesse on June 3, 2011 at 10:33 PM

SnakeintheGrass on June 3, 2011 at 10:29 PM

They said they would watch a small child die and do nothing. How much more explicit do you need it to be?

sharrukin on June 3, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Fatal on June 3, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Speak for yourself.

Splashman on June 3, 2011 at 10:34 PM

I used to have hope that if the crap hit the fan that the police and those in law enforcement would never fire on it’s own citizens. (Surely they remember how the Nazi’s took orders, etc.) I guess those days are gone as following policy has become more important that the palpable evil it would take to stand around and watch someone die without trying to help them. I don’t put anything past these drones anymore.

BakerAllie on June 3, 2011 at 10:35 PM

So just following orders is making a comeback?

aikidoka on June 3, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Disgusting. Outrageous. A freakin’ hour, too.

They could have called someone they knew would do it.

Ummm, who could do that? Maybe the Coast Guard?

Gee, how far away is the Coast Guard?

5 miles!

Dusty on June 3, 2011 at 10:36 PM

I’m wondering,if the scenario was a wee bit different,like
a little boy or girl that was in distress!!

Jus sayin!

canopfor on June 3, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Cops, firefighters stand by and watch as California man drowns

Seems some humans have lost their humanity.

rukiddingme on June 3, 2011 at 10:38 PM

canopfor on June 3, 2011 at 10:33 PM

I read accounts of this earlier in the week. It was in the Headlines here). The stepmother asked someone to call 911. The guy walked out into the water. It wasn’t deep.

An apparently suicidal man waded into San Francisco Bay on Monday, stood up to his neck, and waited. As the man drowned, police, fire crews, and others watched idly from the shore….

This is absolutely horrific.

INC on June 3, 2011 at 10:39 PM

canopfor on June 3, 2011 at 10:37 PM

No canopfor. He said he would let a child drown. If you can believe that. :|

Jesse on June 3, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Common Sense,once again,is missing!!

canopfor on June 3, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Yeah. You would have to be sub-human to do something like this. Hopefully a lot of people lose their jobs over this.

Jesse on June 3, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Aw hells no, that water is friggin COLD out there, homey. Besides, you know what salt water does to a uniform and boots? Sheeeeiiiit, you go save him, Captain Enthusiasm. /s

Alden Pyle on June 3, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Great idea, ban water rescues in the BAY Area.

We tend to excessively venerate cops and firefighters. But Californians have a ground zero view on how feckless a-holes their unions have become. In any California city, the cost of firefighters and police take about 70% of their budgets, and in many, much more than that. A quarter of city’s budgets are dedicated to police and fire PENSION plans ALONE, and in many cities, the medical insurance are given gratis to them. That’s the reality.

Apologetic California on June 3, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Welcome to California, where the state is so broke that it can’t even afford to rescue a drowning man . . . Anyone want to place wagers on how loud the outcry will be when lib idiots see the words “budget cuts?”

Ryan Anthony on June 3, 2011 at 10:43 PM

(More………..)

canopfor on June 3, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Bullcrap. 80 degrees? I’d have been dead 50 years ago. The guy was in probably 55 degree water and standing there until hypothermia caused him to drown. They were also “concerned” that he might have a gun. ????

katy the mean old lady on June 3, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Splashman on June 3, 2011 at 10:24 PM

I thought the same thing. Keep reading the article; the other incident is discussed at the half-way point.

btw–AP, does this mean you actually read the comments on occasion? That fire incident was mentioned in yesterday’s headline thread… Just wondering.

conservative pilgrim on June 3, 2011 at 10:44 PM

What would Jesus do? Would Jesus have followed the government policy?
Hey, I’m wondering if these same people ever protested Prop 8? Were they going to follow that government policy?

Bottom line, they cared more about their jobs than they did about saving a life.

JellyToast on June 3, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Jeesh. Is there any doubt that our culture is in decline? Thanks, libs.

Huckabye-Romney on June 3, 2011 at 10:46 PM

SnakeintheGrass on June 3, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Guess your policy on jumpers is “close the window please” huh?

Tim Zank on June 3, 2011 at 10:46 PM

This is absolutely horrific.

INC on June 3, 2011 at 10:39 PM

And waiting for those heartless ones from the Headlines thread to defend the actions of the ERs because the guy wanted to die. This story is heartbreaking on so many levels.

conservative pilgrim on June 3, 2011 at 10:46 PM

What makes it worse is. This is all a ruse. It’s how bureaucrats black mail citizens into not making state needed cuts. The idea is “hey you want welfare cuts, well then we will just release prisoners out on the street”. Instead of cutting what they know should be cut, they punish you by cutting something totally unrelated. That’s the game.

Jesse on June 3, 2011 at 10:47 PM

canopfor on June 3, 2011 at 10:37 PM
No canopfor. He said he would let a child drown. If you can believe that. :|

Jesse on June 3, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Jesse:Ugh,so much for doing the right thing!!

canopfor on June 3, 2011 at 10:47 PM

JellyToast on June 3, 2011 at 10:45 PM

And since their jobs are all about saving lives, they really care more about the paycheck and the benefits.

conservative pilgrim on June 3, 2011 at 10:48 PM

What kind of world will it be with no heroes?

hawkdriver on June 3, 2011 at 10:48 PM

canopfor on June 3, 2011 at 10:33 PM

The gist of your article is that the first-responders were justified in not attempting a rescue without a buoy, “cold water suit”, or special training.

Now square that with the fact that the bystander successfully retrieved the body without any of that.

Throughout history, it has always been accepted without question that it is a virtue to risk (and possibly lose) one’s life to rescue someone in danger. Unless, apparently, one works for the government.

In this particular case (an apparent suicide), I don’t fault the first-responders for letting Zack die. But the fact is, even if it weren’t a suicide, the drowning man (or woman or child) would still have died. And I sure as hell fault the !@#$% government bureaucrats for that.

Splashman on June 3, 2011 at 10:48 PM

canopfor on June 3, 2011 at 10:33 PM

*snort* 80 degrees? WTF? It’s a rescue not a beach party.

The guy was in there for an hour on his own before he went under. And what was the guy thinking about all that time? “No one cares about. I might as well die.”

pedestrian on June 3, 2011 at 10:49 PM

conservative pilgrim on June 3, 2011 at 10:46 PM

That was pretty bad.

“This just strikes me as not just a problem with funding, but a problem with the culture of what’s going on in our city, that no one would take the time and help this drowning man,” KGO quoted resident Adam Gillitt as saying.

INC on June 3, 2011 at 10:49 PM

Death panels.

Neo-con Artist on June 3, 2011 at 10:50 PM

When someone is drowning, as a human being you try to save them. You don’t sit there and watch them drown. What the hell has happened to us?

ramrants on June 3, 2011 at 10:50 PM

canopfor on June 3, 2011 at 10:47 PM

I don’t think a lot of people even care about that anymore I’m afraid.

Jesse on June 3, 2011 at 10:51 PM

(More………..)

canopfor on June 3, 2011 at 10:33 PM

How come the civilian that retrieved the body didn’t have any problems with the temps?

The excuses are fricking comical.

Tim Zank on June 3, 2011 at 10:51 PM

This is heartbreaking. The fabric of our society is unraveling.

ButterflyDragon on June 3, 2011 at 10:52 PM

canopfor on June 3, 2011 at 10:33 PM
===================================

katy the mean old lady on June 3, 2011 at 10:44 PM

katy the mean old lady:Yup,and the boat thingy,it was too
shallow….like for what a 50 or 100
foot Coast Guard vessel,and worrying
about the draft,er depth!

Hell,what about a dingy,or small row
boat,and the gun,I don’t know,they
added,he was depressed or sumpin!:)

canopfor on June 3, 2011 at 10:53 PM

canopfor on June 3, 2011 at 10:47 PM
I don’t think a lot of people even care about that anymore I’m afraid.

Jesse on June 3, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Jesse:I hear ya,its as if,most people,not all,are
desensitized,could care-less,*sigh*!!

canopfor on June 3, 2011 at 10:56 PM

canopfor on June 3, 2011 at 10:56 PM

So very true.

Jesse on June 3, 2011 at 10:57 PM

What kind of world will it be with no heroes?

hawkdriver on June 3, 2011 at 10:48 PM

hawkdriver:Amen Hawk,its getting to be a bleak outlook!!

canopfor on June 3, 2011 at 10:57 PM

Fatal on June 3, 2011 at 10:13 PM

It has taken you this long?

keep the change on June 3, 2011 at 10:58 PM

This will be spun as the inevitable result of government cost cutting.

keep the change on June 3, 2011 at 10:59 PM

hawkdriver on June 3, 2011 at 10:48 PM

I don’t think we have had heroes for a very long time. That era has passed. Now we are the era of “I can’t help, I don’t have the proper papers”.

Jesse on June 3, 2011 at 11:00 PM

Though my swimming ‘skills’ are limited to the dog-paddle I would have tried to do something anything rather than just stand there and watch a person die.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 3, 2011 at 11:00 PM

He was just a white guy.How many lawsuits would have been filed if it had been a minority.Not to mention the activist rally’s on the court house steps.The firefighters and police are not heroes anymore.Just more union thugs out for themselves.

docflash on June 3, 2011 at 11:00 PM

Unimaginable how liberals have wussified our country to this point. A bunch of fat ass, do-nothing, benefits craving, lazy union liberals standing around while a man dies.

How any one of those people could sleep at night is beyond me. “Policy?” You’d let a man die because of “policy?” What, you were afraid of getting fired for saving a man’s life?

BruthaMan on June 3, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Remember the outrage of a fire department charging homeowners a fee to have their houses saved if they catch fire? The fire truck appeared at the scene, but since the homeowner didn’t pay their “membership fee”, they watched it burn to the ground. It had to do with privatization of the station. I guess it’s ok for a government office to do this, but not a private company.

djaymick on June 3, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Wow, a person drowns because of bureaucratic procedures. Welcome to your future Obamacare ombudsman.

mechkiller_k on June 3, 2011 at 11:02 PM

I am little surprised that Allah, with his ultimate sensitivity to nuance, can’t quite grasp the difference between grabbing a guy on the street railing of a bridge and jumping into deep water with no water rescue equipment to try and drag a suicidal man out.

It isn’t that subtle a difference.

Jaibones on June 3, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Some thoughts…

Budget cuts, huh? So what DO they spend their money on out there?

Shall we all stand by and watch California drown? States don’t have policies of rescuing other States, after all.

They guy was standing neck deep in the water (waiting for hypothermia?) Not exactly flailing around violently.

Following orders, were they, like good little Eichmans.

ss396 on June 3, 2011 at 11:05 PM

And while we’re all wringing our hands about “hell in a handbasket” and “heroes”, etc., does no one understand the subtle difference between a “drowning man” and a “suicide”?

Really?

Jaibones on June 3, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Pointing to Oakland being dangerous is presenting a misleading view of the city of Alameda, a high-income, low-crime city (median income $94,555, one murder last year). Compton and Beverly Hills are also in the same county, you know.

calbear on June 3, 2011 at 11:05 PM

I’m disgusted by this pathetic examples of ‘humanity’. There’s no acceptable excuse for this.

None.

“But, the rules say I can’t do anything.”

Oh, dear God, has it really come to this?

And bystanders who are not subject to the ‘rules’?

Wow.

“And he will answer, ‘I tell you the truth, when you refused to help the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were refusing to help me.’ “

Even from a non-religious perspective, though, what a stark display of inhumanity.

Midas on June 3, 2011 at 11:07 PM

Just following order…now where have I heard that defense used to justify inhumane behavior before? It’ll come to me…

I though government had all the answers and was there to protect us. I am so disillusioned now.

Thank God they don’t have control over our healthcare…oh, wait!

TheBigOldDog on June 3, 2011 at 11:07 PM

Jaibones on June 3, 2011 at 11:05 PM

You’re really going to try to make an excuse for this? Seriously?

Jesse on June 3, 2011 at 11:08 PM

These so called PD and FD should hang their heads in shame. What disgraces.

HalJordan on June 3, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Really?

Jaibones on June 3, 2011 at 11:05 PM

They said they would let a child drown.

Do you think they were lying?

sharrukin on June 3, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Jaibones on June 3, 2011 at 11:03 PM

THE WATER WAS NOT DEEP.

THE GUY WALKED OUT INTO THE WATER.

INC on June 3, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Jaibones on June 3, 2011 at 11:05 PM

And you don’t get the not subtle difference between watching someone kill themselves for an hour, doing nothing and blaming ‘the rules’ – as opposed to growing a pair and doing something – anything – other than stand and watch someone die/kill themselves and do f@#$ all?

Really?

I don’t give a crap if he was drowning accidentally or trying to kill himself – it’s unconscionable to stand by and do nothing, equipment or not, rules or not.

Stop making f@#$ing excuses disgusting behavior.

Midas on June 3, 2011 at 11:13 PM