Oh my: Paul Ryan opens the door slightly to running for president?

posted at 9:58 pm on June 2, 2011 by Allahpundit

Skip ahead to 8:10 for the money bit. I think HuffPo’s overselling the significance of his “hesitation” here, but keep reading…

On Thursday evening, Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan said yet again that he is not considering a run for the GOP presidential nomination. But when asked by Fox News’ Neil Cavuto whether he would change course from past rejections of a presidential bid, Ryan hesitated before saying, “Look, I think I want to see how this field develops.”…

Sources close to Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus –- who is also from Wisconsin and is encouraging Ryan to run -– say that it is not just unilateral pressure from Priebus that is sparking rumors. They say Ryan is himself considering making a move

Further, Ryan delivered a speech on foreign policy Thursday night in Washington to the Alexander Hamilton Society, the kind of thing a prospective candidate for president just might do. That drew some raised eyebrows from Stephen Hayes, a Fox News and Weekly Standard contributor.

Writing at the Washington Times, Jeffrey Kuhner dubs him the most formidable challenger to Obama on the political landscape and “a potential presidential candidate whom almost every Republican wants.” We’ll have Patrick Ishmael toss him into the next Hot Air candidate survey to gauge how true that is. I’m not remotely convinced he’d be the juggernaut some think he would be, partly because he’s exposed on his bailout votes, partly because he’d still have to contend with Romney’s fundraising advantage and social conservatives looking elsewhere for a champion, and partly because if support for his Medicare plan doesn’t start to perk up soon, even sympathetic primary voters might regard nominating him as a catastrophe in the making. That last possibility is especially worrisome given the narrative it would set up for the general election, with Medicare reform having already been symbolically repudiated by Republicans in their own primary. Ryan’s budget would be even deader than his future national ambitions, making defeat twice as devastating. He’d have to have near-total confidence that he could win the nomination in order to risk it, and even with Daniels/Barbour and their network behind him, I don’t know how he could have that.

And yet, and yet, given current public impressions of the field, there is plenty of room for someone to jump in and shake it up. If Ryan’s eager to see someone in there as devoted to fiscal discipline as he is, he’s in luck: Supposedly, Chris Christie refused to give that Republican delegation from Iowa a flat no about running during dinner last night. He’s the budget warrior’s choice — now that he’s, er, reimbursed the state for using their helicopter to take him to baseball games.

Comments

Interesting, no doubt.

Tim Zank on June 2, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Sorry, great on the budget issues…….RINO on everything else.

Stay in the House Paul and stop listening to the Pundit class. I’d like to see him run for Speaker.

PappyD61 on June 2, 2011 at 10:03 PM

yes. Yes. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sbvft contributor on June 2, 2011 at 10:03 PM

I would love to see him debate Soetoro in public.

SouthernGent on June 2, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Looks like the ruling class is freaking out and pushing him. We’ll see.

promachus on June 2, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Plain fact is with Guiliani getting in, Christie a possible, Huckabee having second thoughts EVERYONE and their dog realizes Obama is WEAK and can be beat like a red headed step child. No offense to red-headed step-children.

txmomof6 on June 2, 2011 at 10:05 PM

I like Palin. I like Perry. I’d vote for Paul Ryan, too.

Can Fox News euthanize Dick Morris? “Gingrich’s only problems are his negatives”.

Marcus on June 2, 2011 at 10:06 PM

By the way, Allah, you are rather pointedly ignoring Palin’s stomping your boy Mittens inauguration parade.

promachus on June 2, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Oooh I was just reading his foreign policy preview over at Weekly Standard. Wonder why he is speaking on foreign policy?

Seriously I would just love to see the look on the One’s face when he finds out Ryan is in the race. It’s easy to demagogue Paul Ryan and his plans when you don’t have to debate Paul Ryan. That didn’t work out too well for the One last time though did it?

msmveritas on June 2, 2011 at 10:07 PM

I like Ryan; however, I’m not settled on any candidate yet. That’s partly because I have this recurring nightmare that the eventual nominee will be Lindsey Graham, just because that’s the way the Republicans roll.

IrishEi on June 2, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Interesting.

I do love Palin but I would be thrilled about a Ryan candidacy, except for one thing – he’s only a Rep. We need a governor. And I really don’t think Perry is running.

Missy on June 2, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Please do it.

therightwinger on June 2, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Marcus on June 2, 2011 at 10:06 PM

+1000

PappyD61 on June 2, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Looks like the ruling class is freaking out and pushing him. We’ll see.

promachus on June 2, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Oh, good lord. This “ruling class” stuff is thrown around more loosely than a hooker on Charlie Sheen’s tour bus.

Pasalubong on June 2, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Am I the only one who both loves Ryan and doesn’t want this to happen? I prefer Ryan right where he is, doing exactly what he is doing, instead of trading it all for state dinners and SOTU speeches.

sockpuppetpolitic on June 2, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Looks like the ruling class is freaking out and pushing him. We’ll see.

promachus on June 2, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Good Lord does EVERYTHING have to do with Palin for you. I know it’s hard to believe but people do like other candidates besides Palin.

gophergirl on June 2, 2011 at 10:14 PM

I’d support him if he ran(at least based on the current field). But maybe he’d be better off as the VP pick. That way he can focus on the budget over the next year and then hop aboard the campaign when tapped by the Presidential nominee.

Doughboy on June 2, 2011 at 10:14 PM

sockpuppetpolitic on June 2, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Good point. But I think at this point it’s more like, anyone who can win, because the country can’t withstand four more years of Obama.

Missy on June 2, 2011 at 10:15 PM

promachus on June 2, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Patience, dear. QOTD coming soon.

katy the mean old lady on June 2, 2011 at 10:15 PM

Yes please.

crr6 on June 2, 2011 at 10:15 PM

He needs to stay in the house for now. He is still too green. We don’t need another unprepared president. He’s awesome in the house, but he has been responsible for just that.

Chudi on June 2, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Sorry, great on the budget issues…….RINO on everything else.

PappyD61 on June 2, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Actually his voting record on budget issues doesn’t support that. He talks about budget issues and that is useful but so far its just been talk.

sharrukin on June 2, 2011 at 10:17 PM

gophergirl on June 2, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Calm down. Palin wasn’t mentioned. It looks like they are finally grasping that Mitt ain’t flyin’.

katy the mean old lady on June 2, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Marcus on June 2, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Dick Morris stars in…Mr. Obvious.

A comedy about a political blowhard who manages to sell tons of books in spite of the fact that everything he says qualifies as a “no sh!t, Sherlock moment.”

predator on June 2, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Really. A “symbolic rejection”? If Ryan runs, it will be his foreign policy credentials that will need burnishing, as well as his “executive” experience. Fiscally he is a juggernaut, and he is easily understood. Right now, in my opinion, Pawlenty has the best shot at unifying the Republican base and attracting the necessary independents around the conservative flag, to beat a woeful sitting President. Ryan could change that.
Randy

williars on June 2, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Yes please.

crr6 on June 2, 2011 at 10:15 PM

Are you still in law school,dear? Has anyone mentioned you should graduate?

katy the mean old lady on June 2, 2011 at 10:20 PM

No, no, and hell no!

Ryan is just Mitch Daniels with better hair.

Running solely on a platform of cutting peoples’ money and benefits off is a loser’s game, and I don’t care if he’s right. But not raising the debt limit is a winner’s game.

Emperor Norton on June 2, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Yes please.

crr6 on June 2, 2011 at 10:15 PM

No problem…

Obowma vs Ryan = Ryan wins!

Obowma vs Mittens = Mittens wins!

Obowma vs T-Paw = T-Paw wins!

Obowma vs Palin = Palin wins!

Obowma vs Newt = Newt wins!

Obowma vs Cain = Cain wins!

Obowma vs Paul = Paul wins!

Obowma vs the skid marks on Weiner’s underwear = Skid Marks Win!

(see a pattern yet…?)

Seven Percent Solution on June 2, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Has Paul Ryan ever been on RedEye? I think it should be a mandatory stop for every candidate? Imagine some of them on that show. *shudder*

SouthernGent on June 2, 2011 at 10:26 PM

SouthernGent on June 2, 2011 at 10:26 PM

My mind just boggled. Could we make it a requirement?

katy the mean old lady on June 2, 2011 at 10:30 PM

yes I even punch the ticket for huntsman against O, but somebody have to hit me real hard before I get into the booth to do it, so I can dazedly vote.

djohn669 on June 2, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Seven Percent Solution on June 2, 2011 at 10:21 PM

My drunken slut cat= winnier.

katy the mean old lady on June 2, 2011 at 10:33 PM

..AP, I think you or Huffpo are delusional. How can anyone in their right mind construe Ryan’s unequivocal denial as even a hesitation?

You’re better than this. Besides, if you need to amp your hit count, just put up another Palin post.

The War Planner on June 2, 2011 at 10:35 PM

He may just be the best General Election candidate the Republicans have.

If his Medicare reform plan is going to be the big argument Democrats use against Republicans, it really helps to have the most effective advocate on the ticket.

As Chairman of the Budget Committee and the party’s intellectual leader on budget reform, he’s different from most other Representatives, while his seven terms in Congress certainly meet the experience threshold.

He’s young, but his age probably helps. In recent political history, candidates in their forties usually win when they go for the White House (see JFK, Bill Clinton and Barack Obama.)

Mister Mets on June 2, 2011 at 10:37 PM

What worries me most is that he’s a cheese head. I’m not sure I (Bears fan) can get behind that.

kerrhome on June 2, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Yes please.

crr6 on June 2, 2011 at 10:15 PM

Oooh. Super secret liberal reverse psychology. We’re supposed to say, “Oh No! This is the guy liberals really want to run against.” It’s probably very effective on lefty blogs, and in the student union at your university. But not so much here.

Rational Thought on June 2, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Chudi on June 2, 2011 at 10:16 PM

“Green” has nothing to do with it. Obama is a seasoned marxist, and doing what a seasoned marxist is expected to do. Obama surrounds himself with marxists as advisors. And they advise as marxists are expected to do. Also Obama is a pathelogical liar, I’ll stop ranting there.

Ryan is not the second coming of Christ. But he cares about the U.S., will surround himself with people who care about the U.S., will never apoligize for the U.S., and will put the U.S. first each time.

Being our biggest threat right now is fiscal responsibility and Ryan is the only elected official in the country to put forth a serious plan to deal with that, he has a leg up on everyone else that is running.

Hog Wild on June 2, 2011 at 10:40 PM

kerrhome on June 2, 2011 at 10:38 PM

THIS

CTSherman on June 2, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Chudi on June 2, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Would 18 years in the House really be a significant improvement over 14 years?

Especially when you consider all the impressive candidates who will be able to run for office in 2016 and later (Christie, Portman, Toomey, Sandoval, Martinez, Rubio, Ayote, Haley, etc.)

Mister Mets on June 2, 2011 at 10:49 PM

Interesting.

Missy on June 2, 2011 at 10:10 PM

I guess that rules out Palin

MFn G I M P on June 2, 2011 at 10:49 PM

Hmmm….

“Paul Ryan defended America’s role as the leading defender of freedom and liberty in a foreign policy address this evening. Speaking to the Alexander Hamilton Society, Ryan, the Republican chairman of the House Budget Committee, laid out a vision that defended America’s exceptional role as a world leader and drew sharp contrast to those who advocate for isolationism and withdrawal.”

See Weekly Standard story.

publiuspen on June 2, 2011 at 10:59 PM

The O’Bama Song

Song (and lyrics) may be found here.

Best O’Bama song evah!

trapeze on June 2, 2011 at 10:59 PM

If we are ever going to have medicare reform it needs to be a debate between someone who knows the plan and can explain it (Ryan or someone like him) versus someone who can’t articulate policy and always, always, relies on general platitudes and flowery language (Obama). Obama cannot debate well. He’s never been able to. Ryan would push him on it and make Obama look stupid, just like during the Healthcare Summit.

This is the best time for someone like Ryan to run.

cpaulus on June 2, 2011 at 11:13 PM

IrishEi on June 2, 2011 at 10:09 PM

As scary as that is, it was funny enough to send my beverage through my nose.

bluetick on June 2, 2011 at 11:16 PM

Wow, these Republican candidates, they’re coming out of the woodwork! It’s almost like they can smell Dems’ fear all of a sudden.

Wait until Sarah comes out, and they start smelling their own fear!

drunyan8315 on June 2, 2011 at 11:17 PM

Do it Ryan. The bigger the field the better. Everyone should be elbowing to the front of the line for a shot at this Maxist.

hawkdriver on June 2, 2011 at 11:23 PM

I think Anthony Wiener should primary Obama

Rovin on June 2, 2011 at 11:24 PM

I don’t get it. Candidates like Palin and Cain are supposed to be non-starters because they don’t have a national organization set up, but yet Ryan could decide next month to run and he’s automatically a contender?

I’m not remotely convinced he’d be the juggernaut some think he would be,

I’m not either.

See Weekly Standard story.

publiuspen on June 2, 2011 at 10:59 PM

TWS has been pushing Ryan ever since Daniels decided not to run.

pseudoforce on June 2, 2011 at 11:40 PM

Houston to Hot Air folk. How does Pawlenty/Ryan sound???

THE CHOSEN ONE on June 2, 2011 at 11:52 PM

Ryan has been the best Republican making the case against Obama and 2012 has to be about Obama’s record. Democrats will try to counter by going after Ryans plan, but I’d love to see Obama try to make the case against it and then get thoroughly put in his place by Ryan. Nothing will destroy the Democrats 2012 strategy more than having an Obama/Ryan debate with Ryan exposing Obama/Dems and their record as a bunch of lies. Please run, Ryan.

gumble on June 3, 2011 at 12:07 AM

Why not? I like him and I’d vote for him happily. I think a lot of potential candidates look at the current field and see that they have a chance.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on June 3, 2011 at 12:16 AM

If he stays cool and doesn’t screw up I think he could win the nomination and the WH, since, while Obama is a master smooth talker I think he’s lost credibility – too many lies.

Chessplayer on June 3, 2011 at 12:16 AM

Paul Ryan is a Reaganesque happy warrior style protégé of Jack Kemp, albeit properly sobered by the current economic and political realities. He appears to be a thoroughly decent man of serious substance. I admire him greatly and would be honored to vote for him.

Terrie on June 3, 2011 at 12:37 AM

If Ryan were the guy, he would amoeba Barry.

THE CHOSEN ONE on June 3, 2011 at 1:09 AM

gumble on June 3, 2011 at 12:07 AM

It’ll only be portrayed that way if the MSM honestly reports it — but they won’t.

PackerBronco on June 3, 2011 at 1:13 AM

YAY!?

Jewels on June 3, 2011 at 1:14 AM

I really can’t see Paul Ryan running in 2012. I don’t think he’s going to jump in.

Conservative Samizdat on June 3, 2011 at 1:53 AM

I <3 Paul Ryan!!! I hope he runs.

artchick on June 3, 2011 at 2:55 AM

Yes please.

crr6 on June 2, 2011 at 10:15 PM

Missed ya over on the Kloppy concedes thread.

tbear44 on June 3, 2011 at 3:14 AM

Why? Obama was an inexperienced Senator when he was elected.

The 2012 election is going to hinge on the economy and fiscal issues. Other issues, while important, will be secondary in the wake of crushing debt, massive taxes, and uncontrollable government spending.

Ryan is the guy to take it to Obama.

Ryan understands these issues; he’d MOP THE FLOOR with Obama — who relies on the teleprompter to give him his intelligence — in debates. Absolutely.

RUN, RYAN, RUN!!!!

englishqueen01 on June 3, 2011 at 6:37 AM

Pasalubong on June 2, 2011 at 10:13 PM

And your issue is? Ruling Class Elite is exactly how they see themselves. It is how they behave. It is their goal to make that a hard reality.

PakviRoti on June 3, 2011 at 7:17 AM

We don’t need another unprepared president.

Chudi on June 2, 2011 at 10:16 PM”

What make us think that Obama wasn’t perfectl prepared?
It’ only from the assumpton that he loved this nation and was truely trying to fix it -that one could rationally draw that conclusion.

I think he was prepared -is successful and not inept- at taking it down.

All we need to do is look as his past his freinds -his cronies -he talk about civilian armies -loathing of the constitution -evil penchant for killing babies outside the womb -Obamascare,death panels – arrogance- faux messiahship to know he was perfectly prepared -that’s why he must be beaten soundly in 2012.

Don L on June 3, 2011 at 7:21 AM

Ruling class?

After watching every pretend Beltway conservative politician and pundit, like Krauthammmer, Will, Rove, etc. play at open sabotage of Palin, in dreaded fear that conservative America might just be able to neuter their power of impramature on the next GOP candidate, one would have to be numb-headed not to realize the enemy of citizen control of their own government is the ruling class in both parties. The are all closer to each other in DC, than they are to the little people whom they would never dare trust with their own destiny. I consider them all the enemy of the constitution – they need to be called the disloyal hacks they are. They need to learn self-control-not people control.

Don L on June 3, 2011 at 7:31 AM

Look at the GOP’s candidates since Reagan: Bush I, Dole, Bush II, and McCain. We don’t need a show pony, but I think we need someone who can think and speak well on his or her feet.

I don’t belong to the school that believes Obama is highly intelligent. Maybe he is in a go-to-the-library-research-and-write-a-memo way, but he’ll still come up with a socialist, community-organizer answer. That said, liberals and the media have created a myth about Obama’s intelligence that must be exploded. And the only way to do so is to offer someone who can take Obama down without apology.

I really like Palin, but I’m concerned that in speaking appearances she doesn’t consistently have the weight to overcome the Obama-intelligence myth. Indeed, there’s a bias against her, and she doesn’t always do much to convince independents that the media is biased.

In contrast, Ryan is a stark contrast to Obama. Obama looks silly when he’s up against Ryan even though he’s POTUS. Obama is like the heavyweight champ who beat low-rent opponents while hiding a glass jaw. Ryan seems to be one of the few GOPers who can exploit Obama’s considerable weaknesses. I’m starting to hope he jumps in. Another bonus, despite the parody of his plan, Ryan is a difficult person for the left to parody. Let’s face it, he’s the all-American boy.

BuckeyeSam on June 3, 2011 at 7:38 AM

Ryan’s my dream guy

Haiku Guy on June 3, 2011 at 8:39 AM

Ryan’s my dream guy.
He is the one that I want.
He would clean ‘Bam’s clock!

Haiku Guy on June 3, 2011 at 8:40 AM

happy warrior

Terrie on June 3, 2011 at 12:37 AM

Maaaaan, I wish that term would disappear.

pseudoforce on June 3, 2011 at 8:57 AM

Conservative Samizdat on June 3, 2011 at 1:53 AM

I don’t either. It’s the usual “Save us!” stuff.

pseudoforce on June 3, 2011 at 8:59 AM

Hard to reconcile with the Medicare senario

Ryan is going to get full credit for a vote which he couldn’t have pulled off by himself. Since it boomeranged, his brothers in Congress are going to pin it on him

Ryan is a fantastic (voice) speaker. His rescue plan is as good as it could get, but the timing was as wrong as it could be. Folks who wanted that plan made sure it carried his name, so he takes the beating

If I was more cynical, I would say someone didn’t like him, because they hung a sign on his back and walked him down the garden path.

The problem of this talented, and brave fellow, is he speaks well but he is going to be cast as the geek who changed the argument from cutting pork, to cutting Medicare, and he doesn’t have camera presence to soothe his audience, people with their backs up against the wall

Without his baggage he could play Romney.

On the other hand, if Ryan ran, he would have a platform to dig out his plan from the pit in which it is now buried. Someone has to do it, but they have to use a different approach than Ryan has used so far.

Someone has to say that unless we cut pork and cut it hard, it is not fair to cut Medicare, even for the tenth generation. Ryan is going around insisting persons within X years of Medicare will not be harmed but he misses the point: he is still asking to cut Medicare before we cut pork.

I want Ryan working for this country. However, he isn’t reading correctly what has happened. If he can’t figure it out it is better for him not to run.

Ryan had the guts to set up a plan, instead of wringing his hands, and his plan is correct. However, he has to understand the constituency. There was never a better electoral chance than this election, and few understand what has to be done

Look how Ryan moved to the forefront in Congress. We need stars there also. He might have finalized his career path

entagor on June 3, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Please run!

Y-not on June 3, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Hey Paul, stick to the budget. We need a guy in your position who will keep power from distracting him. You can run in 2016 or in 2020.

Christian Conservative on June 3, 2011 at 10:32 AM