Video: The greatest music video ever?

posted at 8:49 pm on June 1, 2011 by Allahpundit

That’s Roger Ebert’s verdict, and for once he might be right. You don’t need to know the backstory on this to appreciate it but you’ll enjoy it more if you do. Quite simply, Grand Rapids ended up on some magazine’s list of “America’s Dying Cities”; the locals took exception and set out to prove that they’re still very much alive, and this is the result — 10 minutes, featuring a cast of 5,000, paid for with $40,000 that the director and a colleague raised themselves. Displays of civic pride are often rote and occasionally schmaltzy, but this one manages to be genuinely touching. It’s a time capsule from the heartland, certainly the most American music video ever made whether or not it’s the greatest. You’ll enjoy every minute. And trust me, you’ll want to watch every minute, if only to marvel at the coordination.

One take, guys. One. Take.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Bravo, Grand Rapids!! Well done and quite moving.

Kirin on June 1, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Since the song was about the death of Buddy Holly et al i’m staying on topic by saying that Buddy Holly hailed from LUBBOCK!
*Great vid!*

annoyinglittletwerp on June 1, 2011 at 10:31 PM

I hope Martin Bashir doesn’t see this… they’ve got American flags in several shots… he’ll have to investigate bringing federal charges against the population of Grand Rapids.

Seriously, though… that made me want to move to Grand Rapids. For about nine minutes. Well played, Grand Rapids… well played.

jana on June 1, 2011 at 10:33 PM

i never understand how video productions cost so much. what on earth could they have spent $40,000 on?

TheBlueSite on June 1, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Nice visuals, but the lyrics mean… exactly what?

Yephora on June 1, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Nice visuals, but the lyrics mean… exactly what?

Yephora on June 1, 2011 at 10:39 PM

It’s about the deaths of Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and the Big bopper in…1959? They were killed when their plane crashed into a corn field in…Clear Lake(or was in Storm Lake) Iowa. That day is commemorated as ‘The Day the Music died’.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 1, 2011 at 10:44 PM

canopfor on June 1, 2011 at 10:09 PM
========================
…wasn’t sure…
I know Canadians can party pretty hard so I thought maybe you were letting us in on a secret.

Hope you are feeling better.

Baxter Greene on June 1, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Baxter Greene:Thanks Baxter,thats why I try not to ever
drink,it does me in——:)

canopfor on June 1, 2011 at 10:44 PM

canopfor on June 1, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Howdy, Canop!

annoyinglittletwerp on June 1, 2011 at 10:46 PM

That was really great. Well done Grand Rapids.

FlatFoot on June 1, 2011 at 10:54 PM

While I was watching I kept thinking, “The only thing that would make this video better is if there were Lindy Hoppers”.

Then there were.

jtdavies on June 1, 2011 at 10:54 PM

Bravo Grand Rapids, Bravo! Makes me want to visit :)

TN Mom on June 1, 2011 at 10:58 PM

A+ for enthusiam and Americana…but they need an editor

georgealbert on June 1, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Nicely done. And I was just listening to that song today on a mix-tape I made.

“the lyrics mean… exactly what?”

People have been discussing that since the song was written 40 years ago. I’m not sure it’s a true story, but I’ve read that when Don McLean was asked “What does the song mean?” he’d reply “It means I never have to work again.” True answer as it turned out.

jdp629 on June 1, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Not bad, for one of America’s dyingest cities, but imagine what a sunbelt city could do!

/jk

Ars Moriendi on June 1, 2011 at 11:25 PM

canopfor on June 1, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Thanks..I looked in the wrong post!..:)

Dire Straits on June 1, 2011 at 11:31 PM

Good stuff Grand Rapids!

Now get rid of the unions and start actually saving yourself!

Hurricanes on June 2, 2011 at 12:00 AM

Great video!

And I would like to thank Grand Rapids for giving us Rep. Justin Amash, my favorite freshman and easily one of the best representatives in congress right now.

Nelsen on June 2, 2011 at 12:02 AM

Not quite sure why, but I caught myself tearing as the clip progressed. Kinda like when the national anthem is played before a ballgame, a gut reaction that pulls on the heart strngs. Kudos to Grand Rapids, well done!

Archimedes on June 1, 2011 at 9:32 PM

the music man, the music…

Nice visuals, but the lyrics mean… exactly what?

Yephora on June 1, 2011 at 10:39 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on June 1, 2011 at 10:44 PM

that song transcended its original meaning decades ago…

equanimous on June 2, 2011 at 12:30 AM

Kudos!!!

Fan.tas.tic!

Smiles.

rickyricardo on June 2, 2011 at 12:37 AM

Very cool. That is Americana at it’s best – almost makes me want to leave the Peoples Republic of California. Problem is that I suspect that was the most beautiful day of the year in Grand Rapids, and I put up with the commissars that have taken over my beautiful Golden State because the weather is almost perfect.

peski on June 2, 2011 at 12:43 AM

Thank you, Grand Rapids. That was cool.

unclesmrgol on June 2, 2011 at 12:44 AM

American exceptionalism, this could be the video to the anthem :).

c4 on June 2, 2011 at 12:45 AM

Why does population decline automatically get a city on some worst list? I think migration Is natural. Some places grow, some don’t.

terryannonline on June 1, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Yeah, but decline isn’t simply migration. If the population is declining, people aren’t migrating in, and when there are less people to sustain a place, it declines.

Kensington on June 2, 2011 at 12:59 AM

Nice visuals, but the lyrics mean… exactly what?

Yephora on June 1, 2011 at 10:39 PM

I think the “Jester” is meant to be Bob Dylan, the “Devil” is Mick Jagger, and the “girl who sang the blues” is Janis Joplin.

Ah, who the heck knows? There’s some stuff over on the Wikipedia page, though.

Kensington on June 2, 2011 at 1:01 AM

This afternoon I showed up to get my hair cut – a day early. I confuse the front and back wiper switches on my car, and when I walk from one room to the other, I can’t remember what I was going for.

But I remember every word of this song, 40 years later.

NavyMom on June 2, 2011 at 1:18 AM

Exactly, c4. Nothing like that could’ve been made anywhere else. Certainly not in the bureaucratic antipodean backwater where I live. It was quintessentially American.

FierceGuppy on June 2, 2011 at 1:20 AM

Nice visuals, but the lyrics mean… exactly what?

Yephora on June 1, 2011 at 10:39 PM

… as in how do the lyrics relate to Grand Rapids?

My take: the music really didn’t die, and neither is Grand Rapids.

yo on June 2, 2011 at 1:47 AM

But I remember every word of this song, 40 years later.

NavyMom on June 2, 2011 at 1:18 AM

:) I know what you mean. All those neural synapses connected by rock n roll. But there were a lot of great songs then!

INC on June 2, 2011 at 1:47 AM

Yephora on June 1, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Look at the notes under it on YouTube.

INC on June 2, 2011 at 1:48 AM

My take: the music really didn’t die, and neither is has Grand Rapids.

yo on June 2, 2011 at 1:47 AM

Pretty much.

Also, Grand Rapids won’t ever take it lying down.

Ugly on June 2, 2011 at 2:13 AM

Hey, that was great! When I fly to Michigan, I prefer to use the nice airport in Grand Rapids and then drive to the Detroit area to see family. That way I can enjoy the pretty areas around GR and the western side of MI….before I have to enter the depression zone. The long drive gives me time to prepare myself for the union mentality that has consumed Wayne County. It’s so sad.
Also -

NavyMom on June 2, 2011 at 1:18 AM

- Funny…and you are not alone!

redwhiteblue on June 2, 2011 at 2:18 AM

*Great vid!*

annoyinglittletwerp on June 1, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Hey, I live in Lubbock. :) :) :)

We should hang out some time and discuss the problems facing the country over a beer or a shot. :) :) :)

Theophile on June 2, 2011 at 2:18 AM

Watched the video again and it is a good video!..Congrats Grand Rapids!..:)

Dire Straits on June 2, 2011 at 2:55 AM

Fantastic. You guys should be bustin’ proud.

Axe on June 2, 2011 at 3:05 AM

I’m impressed! That was very well done.

{^_^}

herself on June 2, 2011 at 4:08 AM

One reason I love America: Americans.

DrMagnolias on June 2, 2011 at 4:29 AM

OK peeps, let me brag a little bit about where I live. Yes, I am in this area. This was the downtown part of Grand Rapids. Near the end of the video, the location was the Gerald R Ford Museum, the home town boy who became America’s only unelected president. He is buried here. The funeral service and procession was one of the proudest moments in this town.

The downtown area where this video was shot has something called “art prize”. I am not sure when it is, but it is in its 3rd year now, and very popular with tourists. They have all kinds of art exhibits and everyone goes all over town and votes on their favorite exhibits. The exhibits are all over, inside, outside, big, small. Every May, they have one of the most popular 25K runs that attracts people from all over the world.

There are 2 very fancy hotels downtown, a new JW Marriott and the Amway Grand Plaza hotel. Ada Michigan is about 20 miles east of town and the billionaire DeVos and VanAndel families that founded Amway have donated millions and millions and millions of dollars in various areas of this town. We have a deVos symphony hall, a Van Andel arena, a Van Andel heart institute and I think some kind of devos medical research center of some kind.

The state moved the medical school from Michigan state in Lansing over to this area recently. They have an area just to the edge of where this video started called the medical mile or medical hill, forget which. Along that area are some large hospitals, the medical research centers, a large cancer treatment center, and the new medical school.

The GRR Gerald R Ford airport just got a new multi million dollar terminal that is very state of the art, including a new parking garage. The whole drop off and pick up area is under a very state of the art covered area, so passengers no longer have to climb over snow banks to get to the terminal from the parking area or the drop off area.

We are only 20 miles east of Lake Michigan. Lake Michigan is one of the largest fresh water lakes in the world. Great beaches all up and down the Michigan coastline. Holland State Park is one of the nicest and most interesting state beaches to visit for the day.

The Grand Rapids area has 3 large malls, 2 close together and 1 on the western edge of the suburbs, which is the newer and nicer one. The area has its own minor league ball team that is widely supported in the community, as well as its own minor league hockey team.

There are several smaller, but well regarded colleges in the area, private and public. Mostly the public schools here are as good as you can get for a public school, but personally, I am against the progressive indoctrination, so I could never in good conscience put a kid of mine in public school, if I had any. There are a lot of private schools for children all over the area, both religious and secular.

Because the economy in Michigan has really sucked for 2 decades, there is all kinds of prime office space available as well as manufacturing space. The state just reformed its abysmal business tax, so it is a friendlier climate to come and relocate. With the higher education in the area, as well as a lot of available skilled workers (GM just closed a really large plant here), a business can find highly qualified people to staff their business.

The government has promoted medical hi tech industries and also green industries. There is a very large solar plant nearby and also a large wind turbine and wind blade plant nearby. There are a lot of food production facilities in the region.

Housing prices are very affordable here and property taxes are not too bad. The state has a small flat income tax rate and a 6% sales tax.

The former governor was trying to create jobs in the movie and film industry and had funded really large tax credits, but the new governor said that the government was not getting real jobs created for the money, so he drastically cut the subsidies. There have been quite a few movies filmed here and in the state in general, but I am not sure how many will continue since the state capped the tax incentives.

So this is a bit about Grand Rapids, MI. It is a 4 season weather area. Summers not too hot, not too humid because of the lake affect, but the winters can get really interesting with the lake affect snow and low temperatures. Falls are beautiful. There are some decent ski areas really close because there are a lot of hills in this area. For the outdoors sports enthusiast, all 4 seasons have something to offer. Michigan has something like 11,000 lakes over a certain acreage size in surface area. 4 of the 5 great lakes touch our shoreline. Probably there is no spot in this state that is more than a 2 hour drive from one of the great lakes.

So if you want to go on a nice vacation and have a modest budget, you can find something to do in this area, or in this state. With so many lakes, you can find a vacation rental pretty reasonably priced. There is also lots and lots of camping and RV facilities.

karenhasfreedom on June 2, 2011 at 5:27 AM

Wow. Very well done, Grand Rapids!! That was simply extraordinary. Congratulations–that is the best “come visit us” video I’ve ever seen.

ted c on June 2, 2011 at 6:31 AM

Got through 3:30. What’s the point?

crash72 on June 2, 2011 at 6:54 AM

The indomitable American spirit; it can be battered but it always comes back stronger. Our enemies just don’t get it.
Well done, Grand Rapids. Fight on.

SKYFOX on June 2, 2011 at 6:57 AM

9. Flint, Michigan – Rust Belt
8. South Bend, Indiana – Rust Belt
7. Detroit, Michigan – Rust Belt
6. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania – Rust Belt
5. Cleveland, Ohio – Rust Belt
4. Rochester, New York – Rust Belt
3. Hialeah, Florida – Huh? What’s up here?
2. Vallejo, California – Well look at the rest of CA.
1. New Orleans, Louisiana – Sinking into the delta which nothing on this planet will stop.

This is known as the de-industrialization of America, where good jobs and a work ethic was traded overseas because of US policy on workforce payment, entitlements, and giving trade benefits to companies moving overseas. It isn’t a question of how much product we can produce: the sky is the limit.

Will we have enough people with the work ethic left to sustain the Nation?

I loved the music video, but the problem that the dying cities phenomena masks is at the heart of the American problem and no group of ‘service’ jobs will ever replace it. We cannot exist as a ‘service’ economy, because we must make things people want in order to survive. We don’t teach that any more, and absent from the video was the past that made Grand Rapids into such a nice but dying city.

Coming from Buffalo, NY, I can tell you what that means and it isn’t pretty. A prettified downtown masks the relics of a bygone age rusting around it that point to a time when Americans were proud to work for a living making things for other people… now we are trying to learn how to eke out an living repairing things we don’t make for people who earn far, far, far less than we do by government design.

Civic spirit is wonderful.

It cannot mask the moral corruption of a people who are told they can’t work because they are too expensive to hire because the government says so. If you want to see where this ends, look at Gary, Indiana today. That is the fate of the Rust Belt. Turning that civic spirit into something that will put people back to work by breaking the government stranglehold on our ability TO work… now that would be amazing. Stop pining for the good old days when the music died, for the tune that is now coming your way is a dirge unless something is done about it very, very, very quickly. There were some very pretty cities in the Roman Empire right up to the day the barbarians pulled them down and those cities that welcomed them in with great civic spirit got the very same treatment as those that didn’t got.

ajacksonian on June 2, 2011 at 6:58 AM

karenhasfreedom on June 2, 2011 at 5:27 AM

Do not forget about the abundant, cheap golf in Michigan.

Greek Fire on June 2, 2011 at 6:58 AM

Very nice – I have been to Grand Rapids on business a
few times and thought it was a very nice area – had no
idea it made the “hit” list.

However, it is (was) a manufacturing town and our politicians/unions have done everything in their power to kill the manufacturing industry. I would like to
see a list of the manufacturing companies that have either gone out of business or moved their facilities to another country in the past two decades. Please post if anyone
has access to this information.

Amjean on June 2, 2011 at 7:13 AM

Got through 3:30. What’s the point?

crash72 on June 2, 2011 at 6:54 AM

Just like the song, it starts off a little slow…stick with it tho, it’s worth the watch.

I’m just wondering why there seems to be no traffic or people on the streets that aren’t a part of this cool video. I can see shutting down a street or two, but it looks like the entire city shut down for this.

Gotta give kudos to Grand Rapids tho…great idea, very cool lip-dub vid.

JetBoy on June 2, 2011 at 7:34 AM

Love it. Love it. Love it. So I guess we can assume that Grand Rapids has the largest number of guitar players per capita of any US city.

scatbug on June 2, 2011 at 7:43 AM

karenhasfreedom on June 2, 2011 at 5:27 AM

I’m not sure why we are spending any money on the PURE Michigan campaign. Karen just made all of Michigan’s positive selling points for free.
I love Rob Bliss’ activities that he hosts to promote MI. He does a great job using only private funds and donations from corporate sponsors.

ZeeMI on June 2, 2011 at 7:52 AM

JetBoy on June 2, 2011 at 7:34 AM

Grand Rapids is a bigger city than most realize. Some snarled traffic, probably, but most of that area is pretty calm on a Sunday anyway. You should see some of the other stuff that goes on that streets get closed off for.

smithinmich on June 2, 2011 at 7:54 AM

karenhasfreedom on June 2, 2011 at 5:27 AM

Well stated. My Mom’s from Grand Rapids – still have family there and in Grand Haven. I remember telling someone I was going on vacation to MI – he joked “poor you” – people generally have no idea how beautiful western MI is. People also laugh at me when I say I want to retire in western MI. Hah! Little do they know.

beancounter on June 2, 2011 at 8:05 AM

There is a lot of conjecture, and no proof as to what the song is about, making for fun arguments.

Slowburn on June 2, 2011 at 8:12 AM

Nice visuals, but the lyrics mean… exactly what?

Yephora on June 1, 2011 at 10:39 PM

It’s about the plane crash that killed Buddy Holly, and the British Invasion that came next. The “jester” is Mick Jagger. “Lennon read a book of Marx” is “Imagine”.

forest on June 2, 2011 at 8:14 AM

I would imagine that most people, when they think of Michigan, think of the metro Detroit area. The metro Grand Rapids area (I am referring to Kent and Ottawa County areas) is exactly the opposite. Exactly the opposite.

Until recently, the area really boomed. Many companies relocated there for the friendly lifestyle, recreational opportunities, the fine school systems, etc, etc…and because the area is known for its STRONG WORK ETHIC. It does have a hard working, educated, skilled, non-union oriented work force.

But then the Grand Rapids/Holland area was hit with a triple whammy – high end office furniture, auto supplies to the “Big Three” and large tool and die shops. All three of these industries took major hits. And, of course, so did their labor force. It had nothing to do with the area’s quality of living or the business friendly environment. (In fact, Google almost moved all of its operations there about three years ago.)

And yet, for the past six or so years, I passed several times a year on a freeway through downtown Grand Rapids. I was honestly amazed at the new construction in the downtown area. That is, the many building cranes along the skyline.

The city of Grand Rapids is now becoming a major medical center. I don’t know this, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there are other businesses moving into the area, too.

Is Grand Rapids (or the area) dying? What utter nonsense. It is only going through a transition, as many other cities have had to. It’s still a very fine city/area to live. It will adapt, and it will grow again.

That’s why I moved to the area when I retired a year ago. It’s a great place.

dikehopper on June 2, 2011 at 8:16 AM

dikehopper on June 2, 2011 at 8:16 AM

Absolutley.
I live just north of Detroit and have been over to the Grand Rapids area many times.
Grand Haven, Saugatuck, Holland all worlds apart from my fair city of Detroit and should never be put on the same listing. Flint and Detroit yes. Grand Rapids…no way.

Too many republicans that will not allow it to die.

Scoreboard44 on June 2, 2011 at 8:40 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on June 1, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Yup, that’s the overarching theme, but there’s lots of other fun cryptic stuff thrown in, such as

While Lennon read a book on Marx,
The quartet practiced in the park

which, of course, is a reference to the Beatles.

itsnotaboutme on June 2, 2011 at 8:49 AM

It’s an entertaining video but it doesn’t dispute that it’s a dying city. It shows no industry or profitable businesses that should prove that the city is alive and prosperous. The 40k spent to answer the magazine was wasted.

mizflame98 on June 2, 2011 at 9:08 AM

ajacksonian on June 2, 2011 at 6:58 AM

No trade policy will save Buffalo. Its a city whose main economic reason for being dried up long ago. So many NY towns have no purpose; they exist on a dead trade route.

ernesto on June 2, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Unions, Michigan welfare and Down town Detroit stand between Michigan and progress.

seven on June 2, 2011 at 9:37 AM

That brought a tear to my eye…What a wonderful country this America…

RedSoxNation on June 2, 2011 at 9:42 AM

How the HELL did they do that? Was there no editing whatsoever? How did they time that?

Seriously that just made my list of top 10 coolest things I’ve ever seen.

God, I love America.

Oh – and the organizer should run for President. Seriously. A person who can dream this up, organize it, and lead it … that’s who I want in charge.

Keep all the politicians. I want this guy.

What a great country we live in. How remarkable.

Professor Blather on June 2, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Professor Blather on June 2, 2011 at 9:50 AM

You know who specializes in precise, choreographed one-take scenes like this, right?

Hollywood :)

ernesto on June 2, 2011 at 9:53 AM

I fly into Grand Rapids to visit Holland Michigan. I have owned several boats built in Holland. Awesome community.

seven on June 2, 2011 at 9:57 AM

That was truly inspirational. Team spirit!

scalleywag on June 2, 2011 at 10:15 AM

I lived in Grand Rapids last year (Compass College of Cinematic Arts class of 2010!). It’s very much an art and film city, and (a surprise to me) one of the more conservative areas of Michigan. It’s a lovely city, with lovely people. It just happens to be in a a state run by ultra libs.

Kelli_D on June 2, 2011 at 10:18 AM

What I like about this video, and even some of the reality shows on TV, is the (sometimes unintended) message of a common humanity. Different groups and peoples, truly celebrating, or working together, helping each other. Seeing ourselves in others. A sense of mutual compassion in action.

Paul-Cincy on June 2, 2011 at 10:22 AM

I watched the whole video on the verge of tears thinking it was about the decline of my America. Grand Rapids just the local level of the big picture. :((

hopefloats on June 2, 2011 at 10:27 AM

One reason I love America: Americans.

DrMagnolias on June 2, 2011 at 4:29 AM

+1000

tommer74 on June 2, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Awesome :)

sleepy-beans on June 2, 2011 at 10:30 AM

I know some answers were given, but the song is basically about the deaths of Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and the Big Bopper following a performance in Clear Lake, Florida. The plane in which they crashed was named Miss American Pie. The setting of the story in the song is meant to be a time capsule of the 60′s, and the specific characters mentioned but not named include The King (Elvis), The Jester (Bob Dylan), The Quartet/Seargents (Beatles).

Grand Rapids! Very, very well played.

Freelancer on June 2, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Grand Rapids did themselves proud. Excellent video of what America is really like, once you get past the fat and thin skin of the East and West coasts of U.S.

The pride of being an American is not displayed anywhere like it is in our heartland. A place where a mans word is his word and it is good. The left and right are directions to get you from here to there. The air and water are clean (one guitarist took off his jacket and it never hit the ground, all of nerf balls dissolved into the pavement and not a speck of paper, cans, or bottles to be seen).

Grand Rapids must be proud of this display of what it is like living in the Heartland of U.S.

MSGTAS on June 2, 2011 at 11:02 AM

I grew up just down the road from GR. Indeed, West MI is different than Wayne County. Detroit is not representative of the state, but there is certainly a state-wide seismic shift going on w/ respect to the economy.

The lakes are great, the dunes, U.P., Mackinac Island, but until the pukes in Lansing and Detroit show real leadership, I don’t see things getting much better for a long time.

That said, great job with the vid. The next time I’m at Hopcat in downtown GR, I’ll raise a glass of ale to you folks. :)

Tak_Bulgogi on June 2, 2011 at 11:02 AM

10. Grand Rapids, Michigan
9. Flint, Michigan
8. South Bend, Indiana
7. Detroit, Michigan
6. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5. Cleveland, Ohio
4. Rochester, New York
3. Hialeah, Florida
2. Vallejo, California
1. New Orleans, Louisiana

SouthernGent on June 1, 2011 at 9:36 PM

There is a common theme amongst a group of these:

Yep, their mayors are all DemocRATs, except for those of Hialeah, FL (again, huh?) and …wait for it…Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Knott Buyinit on June 2, 2011 at 11:13 AM

ernesto on June 2, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Fred Astaire is the only one I’ve heard of who worked at doing that. He was a master.

And he was a conservative!

Politically, Astaire was a conservative and a lifelong Republican Party supporter, though he never made his political views publicly known. Along with Bing Crosby, George Murphy, Ginger Rogers and others he was a charter (founding) member of the Hollywood Republican Committee. He was churchgoing, supportive of American military action and was dismissive of the more open sexiness of movies in the 1970s.

INC on June 2, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Wow, a single shot, no cuts. That’s pretty darn impressive.

ButterflyDragon on June 2, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Hollywood :)

ernesto on June 2, 2011 at 9:53 AM

As usual, you’re posting while stoned. Or you haven’t watched anything from Hollywood in a long time.

Tell me of any scene in any movie released in the last 20 years that has a 9 minute single take scene. Any movie. Or television show. Anything at all.

ButterflyDragon on June 2, 2011 at 12:07 PM

karenhasfreedom on June 2, 2011 at 5:27 AM

Congratulations!

And you should be working PR for your city and state! :) I enjoyed the read.

INC on June 2, 2011 at 12:10 PM

A good example of why the progressives/Leftists will never win. Good luck trying to suppress the American spirit. They can’t.

JeffB. on June 2, 2011 at 12:43 PM

karenhasfreedom on June 2, 2011 at 5:27 AM

Congratulations!

And you should be working PR for your city and state! :) I enjoyed the read.

INC on June 2, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Yes INC, she did a very good job, by the accident of birth Flint, MI. was where I was born but by choice Kent County, MI. has been our home for for the last 35 years. The DeVos family & the Van Andel family have contributed greatly to GR and we are thankful for them.

fourdeucer on June 2, 2011 at 12:47 PM

They could have hired me for their slogon and then they wouldn’t have had to pay so much for the video. My entry:

See ‘da Rapids.

unclesmrgol on June 2, 2011 at 12:53 PM

ajacksonian on June 2, 2011 at 6:58 AM

It isn’t Government Design — we ourselves did it by buying the lowest priced object, no matter where it was made. We have dug our own grave and are sitting in the casket.

unclesmrgol on June 2, 2011 at 12:57 PM

karenhasfreedom on June 2, 2011 at 5:27 AM

Great post!

And it’s heartening to see so many here that are from (or familiar with) Grand Rapids.

Ugly on June 2, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Seriously that just made my list of top 10 coolest things I’ve ever seen.

What a great country we live in. How remarkable.

Professor Blather on June 2, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Several takes (five is what I read on the local news site), but yes, it was the take they kept… all one continuous shot, no editing. Filmed May 11th… an early Sunday morning

Ugly on June 2, 2011 at 1:15 PM

I grew up and went to undergrad in Kalamazoo, went to law school and and was sworn in to practice recently right there downtown Grand Rapids, and currently live over in Zeeland.

After undergrad, I did my time in Detroit. Came back to the west side for obvious reasons. Others are right: when people think of Michigan, they think Detroit. What they don’t think of is the fact that we have absolutely everything over here on the west side. Beaches (maybe the water is a cold, toughen up, Buttercup) great nightlife, unbelievable camping, top-shelf sports (including the Red Wings top affiliate), and more stuff that I’m still discovering.

Anyone who wants to visit, let us know. We’re more than happy to show you around!

By the way- do I have to change my name from “student” now?

ConservativeLawStudent on June 2, 2011 at 1:27 PM

By the way- do I have to change my name from “student” now?

ConservativeLawStudent on June 2, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Only if you’re looking for clients ;)

Ugly on June 2, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Great video, but that song still sucks.

76United on June 2, 2011 at 2:18 PM

meh.

blakesq on June 2, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Hollywood :)

ernesto on June 2, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Hollywood doesn’t specialize in one-take scenes. They specialize in multi-take, three camera scenes that can be edited to pieces. It’s unusual to see any scene in a movie these days that lasts longer than 10 seconds before cutting to a different angle (often from an entirely different take).

There’s a reason nearly every film and acting student studies Hitchcock’s Rope, because it has so few cuts (and those only because they didn’t have the technical capability to film the entire thing in one shot).

JadeNYU on June 2, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Bravo, Grand Rapids!

BananaSlug on June 2, 2011 at 3:18 PM

I think the good people of Michigan have had just about enough of the negativity.

cpaulus on June 2, 2011 at 3:34 PM

That is DIAMONDS.

Cleveland, are you listening?

skydaddy on June 2, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Trust me I didn’t care for this thread but curiosity killed the cat.

AWESOME VIDEO!

ProudPalinFan on June 2, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Right where I’m sittin’–well, in the city limits, anyway. God bless GR.

Axeman on June 2, 2011 at 8:24 PM

I was appalled at the fast pans, until I realized this was all being done in one take. That’s a masterpiece of. . . coordination!

/Mr Lynn