Hot Air Candidate Survey: “Ch-ch-ch-changes” Edition

posted at 8:45 am on June 1, 2011 by Patrick Ishmael

To recap: Huckabee is out. Daniels is out. Trump is out. With his father’s entry and his apparent disinterest in running, Rand Paul has been removed from the list. Like Paul Ryan, Rand may return if he expresses some concrete interest in running. I’ve added Thaddeus McCotter. I’ve added Rick Perry. Lastly, Rudy Giuliani is on the verge of being removed, the suggestions of his friends notwithstanding. (Worth noting that Peter King said he himself might also run for President during that “Giuliani might run” interview. So, take that for what it’s worth.)

Same rules as always.

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

tip

Tornado Victim: “Obama Came Here And Said ‘We’re Going To Help Everybody.’ That’s A Lie”

Obama not getting much love from the black community in tornado damaged areas. Or at least none from Shirley, living in Tuscaloosa, Alabama!

Nearly Nobody on June 1, 2011 at 8:48 AM

Rock on Patrick!

Thanks buddy

cmsinaz on June 1, 2011 at 8:48 AM

Nice to see T-Mac in there.

Dongemaharu on June 1, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Perry 2012 !

petefrt on June 1, 2011 at 8:54 AM

First time I put in a 2nd choice option if 1st choice isn’t running. I chose PERRY!!!!!

karenhasfreedom on June 1, 2011 at 8:58 AM

Perry/Rubio. If she’s not running.

Marcus on June 1, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Well, no better place to make this statement…

Count me amongst the Palinistas. May has well, she’s my first choice. Hope I don’t regret this.

JetBoy on June 1, 2011 at 9:00 AM

I like McCotter but I have watched him on Red Eye with Greg Gutfeld, he really isn’t interested in running for President.

I would vote for McCotter if he ran.

Dr Evil on June 1, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Palin/West! I would love to hear how bigoted, racist, misogynist and poopy we conservatives are with that ticket!

search4truth on June 1, 2011 at 9:06 AM

JetBoy on June 1, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Dongemaharu on June 1, 2011 at 9:10 AM

JetBoy on June 1, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Ugh, I accidentally hit some button.

Anyway, weren’t you a Palinista before for a short time, or was that someone else?

Dongemaharu on June 1, 2011 at 9:12 AM

TX all-star ticket:
Ted Poe / Dan Patrick

Both are better than Perry.

tomg51 on June 1, 2011 at 9:12 AM

Palin/West. That is all.

powerpro on June 1, 2011 at 9:14 AM

JetBoy on June 1, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Welcome aboard!

Oh crap, I just realized, now she’s doooooooooomed.

;)

DrAllecon on June 1, 2011 at 9:15 AM

Ugh, I accidentally hit some button.

Dongemaharu on June 1, 2011 at 9:12 AM

Yeah, abut a year ago, for like a week. It was a strange time in my life.

But alas, as the current crop of declared and potentially declaring candidates has become a snooze-fest of epic proportions, my personal political views most match Palin’s…there are still a few issues I have with her, but alas…she is my first choice, so I may has well dive in the ‘nista pool.

JetBoy on June 1, 2011 at 9:16 AM

West was reading newspaper articles on Fox Sunday. That was kinda weird.

faraway on June 1, 2011 at 9:16 AM

BREAKING: Palin to visit South Carolina (after she tours the “historical sites” in NH & IA): http://bit.ly/mEXqvg

Per Scott Conroy of Real Clear Politics @RealClearScott

powerpro on June 1, 2011 at 9:18 AM

I may as well dive in the ‘nista pool.

JetBoy on June 1, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Wow, if JB is on board what mountains are left to climb?

Welcome!

eyesky on June 1, 2011 at 9:20 AM

Ditto on Palin/West

iamsaved on June 1, 2011 at 9:20 AM

There isn’t one candidate that I agree with on everything, but looking over the list of potentials, I am pretty excited. I would be all in on Palin, but if she opts out there is always Cain. And possibly Perry if he throws his name in there. Jindal I have always liked, as well as Bachmann. So many choices… But mostly, I just want someone to beat the heck out of O.

XWing5 on June 1, 2011 at 9:21 AM

JetBoy on June 1, 2011 at 9:16 AM

O/T but congrats on your house offer, btw.

DrAllecon on June 1, 2011 at 9:21 AM

my personal political views most match Palin’s

Well, that’s a big factor.

Hope it sticks this time.

Dongemaharu on June 1, 2011 at 9:22 AM

Thanks again Patrick for the poll. I look forward to seeing the results.
L

letget on June 1, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Palin/Christie, two governors that walked into a crap storm and worked to fix it while ignoring the good ole’ boys.

Hening on June 1, 2011 at 9:24 AM

I just had to go with Thaddeus McCotter.

I know Thaddeus McCotter through appearances on the late night Fox News talk show, Red Eye. His principles seem to be in line with mine and he is an eloquent speaker who I feel could articulate conservative positions quite well on the campaign trail and in a debate against Obama. He is the only member of congress I would put above a Governor with executive experience as my pick. I don’t know too much about him, just what I’ve heard and glimpsed at in his record, so my enthusiasm is aveage. The enthusiasm could intensify were he to officially enter the race and look good on the campaign trail. Perry would be my second choice because he seems electable and I really like Bachmann, Palin and Cain, but I feel they are a little too inexperienced for the job compared to Perry.

Daemonocracy on June 1, 2011 at 9:24 AM

Thanks again, Patrick. You’re doing yeoman’s work.

OhioCoastie on June 1, 2011 at 9:24 AM

WooHoo! Thanks, Patrick.

It’s still Palin/Cain after all these months!

SouthernGent on June 1, 2011 at 9:34 AM

Palin/Pawlenty…I like the fighter/wonk one-two punch. (But I’ve got my eye on West for the VP spot, and maybe even Christie.)

RepubChica on June 1, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Patrick,

I am interested in another poll. A bright line poll.
This is what Hot Air commenters consider absolutely unacceptable governmental action.
Examples include confiscation of 401K / IRAs, abandonment of troops in AF after supply lines cut by Pakistan and Russia, shutting down the Internet, or canceling elections. You could have a less likely to more likely button scaler. The real purpose is to dissuade the current administration from carrying out the actions. There seems to be little push-back from elected leaders or the judiciary on a whole bunch of unconstitutional actions in the least 2 years.
We as citizens have to do more, or we could be marginalized.

NaCly dog on June 1, 2011 at 9:47 AM

West was reading newspaper articles on Fox Sunday. That was kinda weird.

faraway on June 1, 2011 at 9:16 AM

I hear what you’re saying, but it beat the talking-points chatter offered by his counterpart in that segment. What I found most disappointing about West in that segment is that he–like too many other Republicans–let that nitwit get away with saying that the government is “giving” wealthy people tax breaks. When are conservatives going to look liberals in the face and say, “Hold on. We start from the premise that any income belongs to the taxpayer. Period. Then, we decide what is a necessary governmental function that government should pay for. Then, we determine what rate of income tax on whom we should apply.

My point is that conservatives need to beat liberals over the head on these occasions by reminding them that people’s income is their private property. It’s not–as liberals would have you believe–some amount of wrongful seizure by these people, and it’s not a sum of money that federal government “allows” taxpayers to keep.

BuckeyeSam on June 1, 2011 at 9:47 AM

West was reading newspaper articles on Fox Sunday. That was kinda weird.

faraway on June 1, 2011 at 9:16 AM

He was reading an article from George Soros to dispute his Democrat counterpart on Chris Wallace program. Rep Allen West, reads from an article of George Soros – The Left’s money man. Where George Soros commenting on the Debt Ceiling stated, he would be willing to wait for payment on Bonds. Meaning he would rather the country get it’s finances together. Allen West used their own financial guru to shoot down the Democrat’s talking points. “The world will end and life as we know it will cease to exist if we don’t raise the debt ceiling”

It was only weird if you were expecting him to behave like a Republican not a Conservative. By the way, that exchange would have made a great post, he really threw the Democrat’s talking points, over raising the debt limit, back in their teeth -using their own Sugar Daddy’s words.

If George Soros is politically savvy, he would jump on the TEA PARTY train – “Libertarian” is the future. The future isn’t bright for the Progressives, they skrewed the pooch ten different ways to Sunday.

Dr Evil on June 1, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Palin / West. Accept no substitutes.

Naturally Curly on June 1, 2011 at 10:08 AM

We need a Governor to beat the Dabbler-in-Chief.

I like Palin’s ideas, but she has scared off too many Independent voters to win, and been labeled as a “quitter” after resigning as Governor of Alaska (a huge mistake, IMHO).

The issue that turned the electorate against Obama in 2010 was his insistence on forcing ObamaCare down our throats when what was really needed was lower taxes, lower spending, and J-O-B-S. Opposition to ObamaCare could galvanize people against Obama, but Romney has no credibility on this issue.

With Huckabee, Daniels, and Barbour out of the race, the way is open for the conservative Governor of a large Southern State: Rick Perry of Texas. He can master the energy issues like Palin, has no problems opposing ObamaCare, is governor of the biggest jobs-creating state in the country, and can also handle border/security issues.

None of the major Presidential candidates have much foreign-policy experience (except Huntsman, but he’s not major), so for VP we need the ‘Stache with the stones to stand up to A’jad: John Bolton.

Steve Z on June 1, 2011 at 10:19 AM

BuckeyeSam on June 1, 2011 at 9:47 AM

West is a Retired Army Officer. He was mission focused. Debunk the Democrat’s talking points on Raising the Debt Limit. No the world isn’t going to end if we don’t raise our debt ceiling by 2 more trillion dollars. He stayed on message and focused. “Mission Accomplished” If anyone was watching Chris Wallace and Fox News Sunday. They would have witnessed West taking down his Democrat counter part using their own Money Man’s words.

The rest of the debt ceiling discussion is this: If we did raise the debt limit by 2 trillion dollars who is going to give us any money- credit? The Chinese want to unload U.S. debt by 2/3 the Japanese are not in any position to increase our credit. The British number 3 holder of U.S. debt is going through austerity measures at home. IMO if Geithner get’s his way, I believe the printing presses are going 24/7 and we are monetizing our own debt….inflation isn’t so great now, take a look at the price at the pump. We are a petroleum based economy. Last time I looked the Obama “Unicorns and Rainbows Energy Policy” Aka Green Energy, isn’t exactly producing results. The dollar is the global currency, and it’s tied directly to the price of a barrel of oil. This doesn’t take a math wizard to figure out where we’re headed.

The Conservatives need to drive home that the shin bones connected to the knee bone, the knee bone is connected to the thigh bone etc…Right now Henny Penny is leading the raise the debt ceiling discussion. Oh and Henny Penny, doesn’t even know how to use tax ware software.

Dr Evil on June 1, 2011 at 10:23 AM

In a lake full of uninspired fish, Herman Cain has separated himself as a charismatic, energetic, idea man who would turn our current Vulcan moron president into a pretzel once he fully assimilates the issues. There is no substitute for experience as Obama has already demonstrated, so Cain will have an uphill battle but has impressed me thus far. All aboard the Cain Train, people!

GoodSamaritan on June 1, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Well, no better place to make this statement…

JetBoy on June 1, 2011 at 9:00 AM

She has the same values most of the rest of us have
and the record of reform to prove it. And she is a leader.

You obviously have taken your time and researched the field and came to a conclusion. We applaud you for picking what we think is the right choice!

Amjean on June 1, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Perry/West

nickj116 on June 1, 2011 at 10:40 AM

I hope people start realizing that this is not ALL about our
candidate versus Obama; it is our candidate against the union thugs, communists, socialists, marxists, liberal whackos, environmental idiots, rinos and the millions on the government payroll and those with government free handouts. Oh, and how could I forget the MSM as another
opponent!

This is going to be a tough one. As they say, they will
“throw everything but the kitchen sink” at us.

Amjean on June 1, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Done and done.

Jeddite on June 1, 2011 at 10:42 AM

I don’t want to live in a Banana Republic. To stop the trend, it’s going to take more than just a Republican, it’s going to take a strong Fiscal Conservative. It would help if they were charismatic and articulate. That fits T Mac, and Allen West.

Dr Evil on June 1, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Dr Evil on June 1, 2011 at 10:57 AM

What’s a T Mac?

powerpro on June 1, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Cain/West

Perry as 2nd choice.

zauriel on June 1, 2011 at 11:05 AM

What’s a T Mac?

powerpro on June 1, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Rep Thaddeus McCotter (R) Michigan

Dr Evil on June 1, 2011 at 11:26 AM

That is just bigoted and racist thinking like that! You cannot use logic with a liberal, only hard facts like baseball bats… They are not going to roll-over, they have a good thing with us working our butts off to support their waste and vote buying, they are not going to give up without a fight, we just aren’t as well armed as the typical Arab citizen.

rgranger on June 1, 2011 at 11:51 AM

rgranger on June 1, 2011 at 11:51 AM

US House of Representatives 435

US Senate 100

Supreme Court 9

Presidency 1

545 vs US

I like our odds. We just added 89 Tea Party insurgents to the House of Representatives last November 2010. We need to focus on the US Senate elections for 2012. We have the wind at our backs we can sweep the US Senate.

Dr Evil on June 1, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Well, no better place to make this statement…

JetBoy on June 1, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Hahaha. If she fails, we’ll all do intervention together 8)

AH_C on June 1, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Pawlenty/Bolton 2012

TheQuestion on June 1, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Somewhere around DEC 2011 we will know what this field looks like… until then my support is tepid for anyone as there are other fish to fry on the national agenda. Time enough for the campaigning when the season hits. Its nice to see some of the chaff falling off already, though.

ajacksonian on June 1, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Well, no better place to make this statement…

JetBoy on June 1, 2011 at 9:00 AM

This deserves a main thread

* Crossing fingers that JetBoy doesn’t jinx Palin *

Norwegian on June 1, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Perry, Perry, Perry!

Perry/West, Perry/Santorum, etc.

Glad to see him added!

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on June 1, 2011 at 5:47 PM

No one without executive experience!

Tzetzes on June 1, 2011 at 5:51 PM

I hope McCotter jumps in because he would instantly raise the intellectual quality and tone of the debates, with his wit, eloquence, encyclopedic knowledge of domestic and foreign policy, and ability to speak to conservative principles.

I was really torn between him and Perry. McCotter is more of my dream candidate and Perry is more “we HAVE to win this thing AND with pro-business fiscal conservative.”

I thought Giuliani for VP because Perry would take the South and Rudy could take the Northeast, and Rudy is a great persuader and attack dog, with a great track record of his own.

I could also go for Petraeus or Bolton for foreign policy cred, although it is sounder electoral politics to pick someone from a state which can bring you lots of electoral votes (like NY).*

* which was one of McCain’s mistakes. I love Palin too, but if you want to rack up electoral votes you don’t pick someone from Alaska.

YehuditTX on June 1, 2011 at 6:20 PM

if all you know of McCotter is RedEye, go to his YouTube channel and watch some of the speeches he has made on the floor of the House, as well as interviews. He is not shy to take the fight to Obama, he relishes it. He can be scathing, and always dapper and eloquent. And a deep thinker. And he knows both domestic and foreign policy better than the rest of them put together.

YehuditTX on June 1, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Palin / Bachmann!

katablog.com on June 1, 2011 at 9:04 PM

I honestly can’t remember if I chose Daniels last time… I *think* I did (switching from Romney after Mitt doubled down on Masscare).

To me, Perry is clearly the best all-round candidate of the options presented. Most of the others are either damaged or deficient in major ways. That’s not to say that Perry is my dream candidate, but he is the only one of that group that I’d feel somewhat enthusiastic about supporting.

In general, I like Allen West as VP for most of the top guys, including Perry. Perry comes off a little slick. He needs a straight shooter with gravitas like West.

Y-not on June 1, 2011 at 9:05 PM

You folks are doing it again. Talking about the most important factor in a candidate being a “Fiscal Conservative”. I will whack-a-mole this meme every time it pops up.

When a politician calls themself a Fiscal Conservative, it means that they do not have conservative social values. It means most likely that they are pro-abortion, pro-gun control, pro-amnesty, pro-union, or at least that they are not firm on those issues. And whenever someone that squishy on important issues is pressured, their “Fiscal” backbone fails. Every. Single. Time.

This label describes too many RINOs to be considered acceptable.

Consider only a potential candidate who shares the same respect for the Constitition that you have yourself; who holds those values and principles which built this nation; who dares to oppose those policies and concepts which would harm the Republic.

When you are looking for a criminal, follow the money. When you are looking for a leader, the money will follow them. A true social Conservative will always also be a fiscal Conservative. Don’t fall for the label.

Oh, and another thing. Those ABP folks who claim that she is “damaged” still don’t remember how damaged one Arkansas Governor was 6 months before the 1992 election. He was so damaged that he dropped out of the primary season. Don’t tell me who is unelectable. Tell me who shares your values and principles, and vote for them.

Freelancer on June 1, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Well said Freelancer my old friend! Inother words if you can not hold to your own social principles (family, Friends, God and Church how in the world can you ever expect to take a proper attitude of STEWARDSHIP for the money that others have worked they very lives (time) for?

RedLizard64 on June 2, 2011 at 2:08 AM