Romney talks Twilight on “The Today Show”

posted at 5:55 pm on May 31, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney said today he’s a fan of the “Twilight” series, even though he doesn’t like or personally know any vampires:

“I mean I like the Twilight series,” Romney said during a recent NBC “Today Show” appearance.

The Massachusetts conservative added that his grandchild inspired him to check out the bestselling novels, which were penned by fellow Mormon Stephenie Meyer.

“I thought it was fun,” Romney added. “I don’t like vampires personally, I don’t know any but you know my granddaughter was reading it and I thought, well this looks like fun so I read that.”

I’ve always given Romney points for a certain intangible “presidential” presence, but now I can’t picture him without also picturing those life-size cardboard cutouts of Edward Cullen. I read the first two “Twilight” books before I could bear them no longer — and it bothers me, mildly, that Romney can stomach the rubberstamp relationships the series romanticizes. All the men in the book bow to Bella’s whims — not exactly pictures of principled leadership. I hope Romney was just trying to prove his pop culture savvy and didn’t actually like the books. Either way, at least he doesn’t know any vampires personally … That’s a relief.

Comments

Oh please he knows plenty of blood suckers. He’s a politician.

Ted Torgerson on May 31, 2011 at 5:57 PM

SOMEONE PLEASE NOTICE ME IM MITT ROMNEY AND I WANT THE YOUTH VOTE!!!

Odie1941 on May 31, 2011 at 5:58 PM

This qualifies him to run for Senator from Minnesota. Not that it is a high bar considering they’ve got Amy “Team Edward or Team Jacob?” Klobochar and Al “Stuart Smalley” Franken as their Senators at the moment.

teke184 on May 31, 2011 at 5:58 PM

I would love to have seen the reaction if he said “True Blood.” Now there are some hot vamp romances

msmveritas on May 31, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Romney can’t see his own reflection.

Just saying…

Roy Rogers on May 31, 2011 at 5:59 PM

All the men in the book bow to Bella’s whims

And Bella is a personality-less child who acts like having men stalk her and treat her like an object is the bestest thing ever. Edward is a complete and utter sociopath and Jacob is a furry little douche.
And you missed the completely crack-smoking last book which almost ALMOST makes up for the complete boringness of the entire series. Imprinting on a fetus = best “WTF” moment of my reading career.

They are definitely easy to read though…

mjk on May 31, 2011 at 5:59 PM

“Oh Yeah? Well I’m a big Harry Potter fan!!!”

-John Huntsman

portlandon on May 31, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Who the hell cares?

Scribbler on May 31, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Romney might want to try treading Diary of a Whimpy Kid, or Captain Underpants. LOL

capejasmine on May 31, 2011 at 6:01 PM

“Oh Yeah? Well I’m a big Harry Potter fan!!!”

-John Huntsman

portlandon on May 31, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Oh dear God, you have made me want to vomit.

upinak on May 31, 2011 at 6:02 PM

\mjk on May 31, 2011 at 5:59 PM

ROFLMAO!!!

capejasmine on May 31, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Sorry, I was a bit… oblique.

Who cares about Twilight?
Who cares about the Today show (it’s still on? I thought Jane Pauley left!)?
And who the HELL cares about Romney?

There, that’s better.

Scribbler on May 31, 2011 at 6:02 PM

I have to laugh at these stories about politicians reading Twilight. There was a puff piece about Obama reading them to his little girls in 2008, too.

If these idiots knew what happens in the last book they wouldn’t ever want to be associated with it.

Caiwyn on May 31, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Wow. BFD.

ted c on May 31, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Twilight is yesterday’s news, Mitt. Like you.

Rational Thought on May 31, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Ugh. I read the first book and about a third of the second book because my daughter was reading them, that’s about all I could take.

Bella is depressed, depressing, self-centered, and WEIRD.

The writing was juvenile, nothing like JK Rowling, although her last couple books weren’t all that great either.

If Romney really cared about his granddaughter’s reading material, he would steer her towards more worthwhile books.

Common Sense on May 31, 2011 at 6:05 PM

What, the vampire dude and the werewolf dude get all up in each others business and finally break the sexual tension or something?

This whole thing is teh ghey beyond the pale and ken of reasoned men.

Scribbler on May 31, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Romney added. “I don’t like vampires personally, I don’t know any…”

Well its nice that you aren’t supporting vampires Mr Romney. Thats a relief of my mind.

Might I suggest you learn something from the Who Let the Dogs Out episode? When you feel the impulse to try to be cool and hip… just don’t!

sharrukin on May 31, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Hey,Mitt! Where ya been?

katy the mean old lady on May 31, 2011 at 6:09 PM

whoa, I just read the synopsis of the last book…

…eerily like the Book of Mormon, but with less facial hair.

Scribbler on May 31, 2011 at 6:10 PM

” Some of my best friends are vampires”.
BHO

katy the mean old lady on May 31, 2011 at 6:10 PM

All the men in the book bow to Bella’s whims

Wait until he figures out Bella’s real idenity.

unseen on May 31, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Mitt who?

wheelgun on May 31, 2011 at 6:14 PM

This is unserious and unpresidential.

And he wants the south park show on broadway?

unseen on May 31, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Isn’t the author of Twilight a Mormon?

Buy Danish on May 31, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Mitt Romney FAIL, kinda like TIMMEH trying to ” talk smack”.

bigmike on May 31, 2011 at 6:16 PM

whoa, I just read the synopsis of the last book…

…eerily like the Book of Mormon, but with less facial hair.

Scribbler on May 31, 2011 at 6:10 PM

If I remember correctly, the author of the Twilight series is Mormon.

This is more pathetic pandering by Mittens. Is he going for the 12 year old girl vote?

I remember cringing when he cited “Battleground Earth” as his favorite work of fiction in the 2008 campaign. Does he even read anything above a teenage reading level?

Norwegian on May 31, 2011 at 6:16 PM

This is an example of why conservative Christians will never support Mitt en masse.

Mormon Vampires in the Garden of Eden

Stayright on May 31, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Yes, she is a Mormon.

Buy Danish on May 31, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Mitt……….have you considered a bus tour lately?

PappyD61 on May 31, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Mitt knows lots of bloodsuckers. They were created in romneycare.

William Amos on May 31, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Did Romney propose subsidizing vampires, or is he saving that for the “True Blood” season premiere?

Hollowpoint on May 31, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Yes, she is a Mormon.

Buy Danish on May 31, 2011 at 6:22 PM

And????

katy the mean old lady on May 31, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Keep it up, Mitt! The more I see of your posing the less I like!

EasyEight on May 31, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Hey Stayright, I clicked on the link and did some reading. I think Mitt is going to run into trouble from this. HEH heh.

bigmike on May 31, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Stephanie Meyer wrote the Twilight books without, by her own admission, not really knowing anything about vampires. That should tell you all you need to know about the quality of the books.

Vyce on May 31, 2011 at 6:35 PM

And????
katy the mean old lady on May 31, 2011 at 6:28 PM

That just might make him more likely to read the book(s). I only saw the Twilight movie (ugh, hated it, but then again I hate vampires), but the theme of unconsummated erotic love was inescapable and as such I suppose it could provide a lesson of sorts for passionate young teens and tweens (especially if ones views on abstinence are grounded in religion). So who knows – it could be on the LDS reading list.

Buy Danish on May 31, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Why Christians Should Oppose: The Twilight Saga – New Moon

Stayright on May 31, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Oh god.

My, where would we be without the evangelicals telling us what not to read, watch, say, etc.

Vyce on May 31, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Could he BE any more phony? He obviously knows NOTHING about the Twilight series. Saying he has read the books to gain youth cred without having actually read them is worse than being a fan. Its not only pathetic but patronizing and fake.

Romney sounded worse than when Trump talked about bibles. The guy just wants it too much. He knows this is his last shot and the desperation is dripping off him. Its sad and off putting.

He just isnt the guy. Im sorry Mitt. You belong in a cabinet, as an economic adviser, maybe…..but not in the big chair.

alecj on May 31, 2011 at 6:38 PM

BTW, what does “Team Jacob” mean? Not getting this reference…

Buy Danish on May 31, 2011 at 6:41 PM

He’s just checking the boxes, trying to seem more “real” and “approachable.” In the linked story alone, he refers to “Twilight,” American Idol (name-checking the winner to prove he “gets it”) and the Beatles.

In another version of this article I saw earlier today, his wife stated his hair is “usually messed up.”

Suuuuure.

cs89 on May 31, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Romney talks Twilight on “The Today Show”

*BARF*

mizflame98 on May 31, 2011 at 6:44 PM

So who knows – it could be on the LDS reading list.

Buy Danish on May 31, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Why would Mittens be on a reading list for teens & tweens? I am no LDS scholar, but I doubt the Church would promote this garbage for it adult members.

Norwegian on May 31, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Why Christians Should Oppose: The Twilight Saga – New Moon

Stayright on May 31, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Was the author intentionally trying to portray Christians as nutty for worrying over a work of fiction about vampires, or was that by accident?

Hollowpoint on May 31, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Who wants to bet that Piper’s reading the Constitution, Declaration of Independence or the Bill of Rights on this road trip? Mitt and the others probably couldn’t even find them in the library.

singer on May 31, 2011 at 6:45 PM

BTW, what does “Team Jacob” mean? Not getting this reference…

Buy Danish on May 31, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Little girls (and pathetic cougars) divide themselves into groups of Team Edward & Team Jacob to show which ones they find the dreamiest and who they thought Bella should hook up with.
I reiterate : *BARF*

mizflame98 on May 31, 2011 at 6:50 PM

You do realize that 16 year old girls will be voting in the general election. He is focused on Obama more than the primaries. He know he will be nominated.

hanzblinx on May 31, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Norwegian on May 31, 2011 at 6:44 PM

It was his granddaughter’s book, it was in the house, so he read it. He may have known something about the author’s bio which could have further piqued his curiosity…

Buy Danish on May 31, 2011 at 6:53 PM

mizflame98 on May 31, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Thanks. BARF.

Buy Danish on May 31, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Maybe he should send the series of books to Obama? What’s better than pizza and Twilight?

csdeven on May 31, 2011 at 6:56 PM

I knew he was gay.

rmgraha on May 31, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Romney pandering to the youth vote didn’t work out so well the last time he tried…..

portlandon on May 31, 2011 at 6:58 PM

O man. That should do it. Unless enough tweenie boppers turn 18 by 2012 to make up for the votes he just lost.

curved space on May 31, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Why Christians Should Oppose: The Twilight Saga – New Moon

Stayright on May 31, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Oh god.

Vyce on May 31, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Evangelicals are telling you anything. The article was written by an Evangelical Christian for other Evangelical Christians, obviously not for you.

Stayright on May 31, 2011 at 7:17 PM

csdeven on May 31, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Maybe a copy of his true favorite book.

mizflame98 on May 31, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Why Christians Should Oppose: The Twilight Saga – New Moon

Stayright on May 31, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Hollowpoint on May 31, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Mock all you want, you can’t shake my faith. However, if I were you, I wouldn’t want to make fun of Christ’s beloved, those for whom He laid down His life, and then stand before Him in judgment. Unless you turn to Christ in repentence, your very words on this blog will haunt you in eternity.

Stayright on May 31, 2011 at 7:22 PM

“Team Jacob or Team Edward, it’s an enduring question, but I have to be honest when I tell you that the answer to that question, um, it’s above my pay grade.” –Mitt Romney

elcapt on May 31, 2011 at 7:24 PM

elcapt on May 31, 2011 at 7:24 PM

I’m on Team Dave (my hot husband)

mizflame98 on May 31, 2011 at 7:35 PM

“Am I cool?”

“Sure I’m cool!”

-Romney talks Vamps.

Limerick on May 31, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Why Christians Should Oppose: The Twilight Saga – New Moon

Stayright on May 31, 2011 at 6:24 PM

I’m a christian who simply avoids really bad literature.
(Although I was dragged to the movies by some twihard relatives/friends of mine.)

Bee on May 31, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Romney talks Twilight on “The Today Show”

That’s some serious, mature campaigning right there.

alwaysfiredup on May 31, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Ummmm, if you’re all hung up on Twilight for religious reasons just let me point out there is plenty to hate about Twilight without dragging the good Lord into it.

Twilights sucks because it just sucks.

That being said anyone can have a ‘guilty pleasure’.

Even one as sucky as Twilight.

Additionally, I’m not being ironic in my use of the word ‘suck’ in relation to a vampire movie.

I’m using it in the sense that it sucks for the sake of sucking. In the worst sense of the use of the word suck, if you understand my meaning.

catmman on May 31, 2011 at 8:12 PM

From what I’ve heard about the series, vampirism is just a metaphor for losing one’s virginity and using sexual drives as an excuse for not exercising any self control. Perhaps someone who actually knows the work could tell me how accurate that is.

Count to 10 on May 31, 2011 at 8:13 PM

BTW, what does “Team Jacob” mean? Not getting this reference…

Buy Danish on May 31, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Then you’re one of the lucky ones…

catmman on May 31, 2011 at 8:15 PM

I reiterate : *BARF*

mizflame98 on May 31, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Are they both abusive and offering to take away her responsibility?

Count to 10 on May 31, 2011 at 8:17 PM

just another reason not to vote for mittens…

ladyingray on May 31, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Are they both abusive and offering to take away her responsibility?

Count to 10 on May 31, 2011 at 8:17 PM

I’m nauseated at the fact that I know as much as what I posted. Please don’t make me research whether they’re bad boy douche bags.

mizflame98 on May 31, 2011 at 8:28 PM

“SERIOUS” Candidate.

Heh…yeah, right.

Wonder if a little part of Kraut or Will dies every time one of their boys does something like this…

SuperCool on May 31, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Heh…yeah, right.

SuperCool on May 31, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Chugging Maalox like it’s Bud Lite.

katy the mean old lady on May 31, 2011 at 9:00 PM

I read the first two “Twilight” books before I could bear them no longer

Before I noticed Tina posted this I was thinking, “Whoa…AP, what comes after beta male?”

Goldenavatar on May 31, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Funny how none of them will bring up Spartacus.

Far better than any pre-pubescent Twilight nonsense. But hey, if Romney likes watching the same things as teenage girls, thats his prerogative. Maybe next he will talk about Justin Bieber.

firepilot on May 31, 2011 at 9:20 PM

One of my siblings asked me to read it, and in the interests of promoting literacy amongst the youth (i.e. not smacking down one of the few books that she liked at that age), I picked them up and read them.

Stephenie Meyer is a fun writer. She’s also very funny. Props for that. Double props for making waiting for marriage sound romantic and sexy, not stuffy and out-of-date. Marital love scene? Epic. If teenage girls leave the Twilight series thinking that men wait for marriage, that chastity advocates have hormones, too, and that sex inside of marriage is the best thing ever, great.

Roxeanne de Luca on May 31, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Count to 10 on May 31, 2011 at 8:13 PM

That’s EVERYTHING vampires these days. And it’s been that way for at least 30 years. I blame Anne Rice. Vampires have de-evolved into whiny little sissy boys, usually European (because what makes a lonely American girl/woman’s panties go moise quicker than a cliche European accent?), who do nothing but brood and complain about how tortured an existence they lead as the undead. What the hell are THEY whining about. They’re immortal, eternally youthful, and have superpowers (super strength, super fast, fast healers, etc.). Boo hoo.

I miss the old days, when vampires were portrayed as undead ghouls, who more often then not looked like rotting ghouls or at least acted like savage beasts rather than some foreign pretty boy.

Vyce on May 31, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Vyce on May 31, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Amen!

catmman on May 31, 2011 at 10:19 PM

BTW, what does “Team Jacob” mean? Not getting this reference…

Buy Danish on May 31, 2011 at 6:41 PM

I only got through the first book… on a car trip, and it was so sappy.

But all my girls love them. Except my married daughters tell me that my 12 year old should not read the last one.

Anyway… I liked Jacob in the movies, and I dislike Edward, it is creepy the way he is always in Bella’s room…

Anyway my 16 year old said I was not on team Jacob, if I read the books Edward is against pre-marital sex and protecting Bella, but Jacob always wants sex.

So team Jacob or team Edward is about that.

My husband says he’s team Mike. The normal kid who gets sick at the movies.

Normal is better than werewolves or vampires. Next movie we may make our own shirts.

Lighten up on Romney, parents and grandparents should be involved in what their kids are reading and doing. No matter what your job is, your first job is the kids.

petunia on May 31, 2011 at 11:33 PM

Stayright on May 31, 2011 at 7:22 PM

I wish this was satire, though it’s not. People like you are a walking stereotype of the worst kind that give all Christians a bad name. God gave you a brain, use it some time instead of willfully believing vile tripe like:

Mormon Vampires in the Garden of Eden

Stayright on May 31, 2011 at 6:20 PM
</blockquote

Thanks for posting it though. It should help remind everyone the real (yet always denied) reason why people like you oppose Romney's candidacy — religious bigotry.

jjraines on June 1, 2011 at 4:03 AM

Gov. Mitt Romney said today he’s a fan of the “Twilight” series

Mittens appeals to women who take their daughters out of school to watch this tripe. They drive SUVs with Obama stickers.

For some 80s-style fun with vampires, try Fright Night.

Feedie on June 1, 2011 at 4:32 AM

singer on May 31, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Oh please. Grow up.

Buy Danish on June 1, 2011 at 6:54 AM

Romney doesn’t know any, but we all know One. Does he think they are real?

Kissmygrits on June 1, 2011 at 9:26 AM

Guud Gawd..

I thought sure that Mitt would learn some leadership skills from Chris Christie..!!

Apparently the meeting was an utter waste of time.

To be honest, I think, sadly, Mitt Romney’s brain has been utter waste of gray matter what with the “mushy socialist training” that he received from Ivy League colleges.

Mitt is such a smart guy with extremely far reaching potential, but he has used his time for a display at utter futility, what with his focus on “socialism lite” in the Republican Party.

Mcguyver on June 1, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Romney is such a contrived candidate. Is there anything real about this guy?

roux on June 1, 2011 at 9:53 AM

That Mitt is one hip dude aint he? Next he’ll be talking about his favorite rapper.

abcurtis on June 1, 2011 at 12:45 PM