Quotes of the day

posted at 10:41 pm on May 31, 2011 by Allahpundit

“In a Republican presidential field where no top-tier candidate offers a flawless resume, the question facing GOP primary voters is whether they can find a diamond in the rough — a standard-bearer who embodies the party’s conservative backbone and can give President Obama a run for his money.

“With former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, the nominal front-runner in a wide-open field, set to formally enter the race Thursday, all of the top candidates have significant deviations from Republican orthodoxy on their records, while the second-tier hopefuls have yet to prove they can raise funds and energize base voters enough to threaten Mr. Obama’s re-election hopes…

“‘There is a reason why Republicans are so desperate to find another candidate and begging candidates to get into the race, because the current crop just isn’t cutting it,’ said Mo Elliethee, a Democratic strategist.”

***
“Asked on her way into the restaurant about Trump’s past political donations, Palin responded, ‘I think I’ll go change his mind and make sure he’s contributing to constitutional conservatives.’

“‘She didn’t ask me [to run with her] but I’ll tell you, she’s a terrific woman,’ Trump said as they walked in. Trump’s special counsel, Michael Cohen, told reporters that the pair had talked in the past about meeting up whenever Palin found herself in New York…

“The first person who approached Palin outside the restaurant was Diane Barone, a union activist from Youngstown, Ohio in town for IUE-CWA contract negotiations. She shook Palin’s hand and would not let go, telling the former governor she disagreed with her positions on unions. Palin responded calmly that her father had been a union member and that making things better for working people ‘is something on which we can agree.’ She said afterwards that she doubted she could change Palin’s mind, but you never know: ‘I thought she would ignore me and she did not, she shook my hand.’”

***
“‘This family has been tested,’ Palin said. ‘When people talk about how she was just plucked up out of Wasilla, you have to look at her career. Every step in her career is another step for the family, and we were prepared.

“‘These kids grew up around the mayor of a small town,’ he added. ‘Local politics is in your face every day. It’s not like you get on a plane and fly to D.C. or Juneau.’…

“Palin said there is a list of ‘pros and cons’ that the family is weighing. ‘But this country, we have to get back on the right track,’ he said.”

***
“The conventional wisdom is that the Republican establishment will rally around whoever it needs to defeat Palin. But that might not be so easy. With Mike Huckabee, John Thune and Haley Barbour all skipping the race, Palin could claim much of the social-conservative vote. Yes, Rick Santorum and Michele Bachmann play in that space, but they’re chihuahuas. Palin is the big dog. Her support among Christian evangelicals would prove particularly valuable in Iowa, whose low-turnout caucuses reward intensity of support, not breadth. In Iowa, passion can beat organization: In 2008, Huckabee beat Mitt Romney there by nine points. And in Iowa, extremism is no vice: Pat Robertson beat George H.W. Bush there in 1988. It’s the perfect state for her.

“Palin would likely fare more poorly in New Hampshire, which leans towards economic conservatives, and where Independents and Democrats can vote in the GOP primary. And the Republican establishment would rally around the New Hampshire winner. But voters might not oblige. Romney, the early favorite both in New Hampshire and among GOP moneybags, has Hillary Clinton’s problem. In 2008, the thing grassroots Democrats most wanted from their presidential nominee was a thundering denunciation of the Iraq War. Hillary, because she voted to authorize force, couldn’t offer one…

“Goldwater and McGovern were far more substantive than Palin, to be sure. But they won because they inspired passion, because their opponents were weak, and because their party wasn’t in a tactical mood. Could that happen again in 2012? If I were Sarah Palin, I’d want to find out.”

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Well then that should relieve you of any desire to read my comments then. And it will save you from wasting the insults on me. There may be someone out there that is bothered by it and will satisfy you by getting their feelings hurt.

csdeven on June 1, 2011 at 8:30 AM

What? LOL

idesign on June 1, 2011 at 8:32 AM

Speaking from the NW corner of the Magnolia State, there’s not a potential candidate out there that mirrors the average Americans in flyover country any closer that Gov. Palin does.

kingsjester on June 1, 2011 at 8:27 AM

Hey, I am in a blue flyover state and Sarah embodies what so many people here do, and how they live their lives. Sarah is US. Good grief, one of my parents was a school teacher and my other parent was an archie bunker union type. Sarah’s dad was a teacher and her mom had a regular type of job. Just like MILLIONS of us.

Sarah didn’t have college handed to her in a silver spoon. It took her 6 years to work her way through. She enrolled when she had the money. She is US. I had to pay my way through school. My parents only paid one semester of dorm fees and some spending money one semester. The rest was on me. I took a 5 year co-op program, so I could afford school. It really pisses me off when those snobs really down grade where and how Sarah went to college.

karenhasfreedom on June 1, 2011 at 8:34 AM

ROFL…Malkin’s column is funny.

I just hope to God that one of these young producers with a camera whose bosses are making them follow Sarah Palin as a potential Republican candidate don’t get in a car crash, because this is dangerous,” Corsaro said. Puh-lease. As if traveling America’s highways to historic tourist spots were akin to driving in an armored tank on Baghdad’s road of death.

In Philadelphia, a pair of news helicopters braved treacherous conditions to monitor the enemy on the ground. Soon, editors tracking the story from their cubbies will be filing workers’ comp claims asserting exposure to secondhand exhaust fumes from Palin’s bus. And I’m counting the minutes until some cub reporter double-parks somewhere in hot pursuit of Team Sarah and demands that she pay his ticket. I mean, how dare Palin “make them follow” her!

unseen on June 1, 2011 at 8:42 AM

However, I am still in wonderment as why a high ratings show like Beck’s is going away.

The conventional, and Beck’s reasoning, is that he want’s to do something else. The other is, advertisers, ratings, and lack of popularity. Which I have a hard time believing.

help me understand that reasoning.

Kini on June 1, 2011 at 2:08 AM

the simple answer is always the best. Beck is going away becaus efox as moved to the left.

unseen on June 1, 2011 at 2:12 AM

Perhaps Beck left because he was caught using other people’s online content about his topics without giving them credit. – He took the credit for himself. Many bloggers were complaining that they did the investigative work on topics that Beck hilighted on his tv show.

I do not trust Beck. I still think he pretended to be a Palin insider to get more ratings. He used to say on his radio show, “Palin called me, etc.” Why would anyone do that unless it is to make themselves look important? The other day I was in the car for about 15 mins and listened to his radio show. He was saying that he thought Palin is unelectable because the media had tainted her too badly. He was inviting callers to comment. All the ones I heard were defending Palin,
not taking up his point of view.

Amjean on June 1, 2011 at 8:42 AM

New York, New York

“At the restaurant, the press was held back by yellow tape. At one point during the meal, Trump looked at the crush of journalists, tourists, and locals, and said to Palin’s daughter Piper, “See? Your mom is so popular!”

Viator on June 1, 2011 at 8:43 AM

This bs coming from a guy who was a speech writer for WALTER MONDALE

KBird on June 1, 2011 at 8:55 AM

I wonder if Dr. Krauthammer was doing any televised commentary back in 1980? Wouldn’t a walk down memory lane to see what he said about Pres. Reagan be delicious?

Cindy Munford on June 1, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Cindy Munford on June 1, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Just read Mondale’s speeches. Since CK was his speech writer.

unseen on June 1, 2011 at 9:07 AM

1) Dismissing her skeptics.
2) Insulting her opponents just to show her cleverness.
3) Poking the LSM with a stick for the sake of it.
4) Asking for media attention and then complaining about it.
5) Presenting herself as THE arbiter of who is a conservative.
6) Ridicule conventional wisdom for the sake of it.

Thankfully, Sarah DOES NOT embrace those attitudes. I have to tell you that when I read the comments that assign those attitudes to Sarah, I am not encouraged to seek out anything that Sarah says. And that is bad because I do listen to what she says. When those comments have that effect on me, I can see how a person who views her unfavorable would continue to dismiss her out of hand.

csdeven on June 1, 2011 at 7:55 AM

The ultimate concern troll post.

fossten on June 1, 2011 at 8:01 AM

Actually, uber-Palin supporter, his comment has validity.
She’s good conservative and I WAS a strong supporter of her before the ‘cult of personality’ kicked in.
Godd Gawd. A few pages back Lansing Quaker referred to SP as a goddess. Really, if I want ‘goddesses’ I’ll google Greek mythology. SP is NOT the begin all and end all of conservatism-contrary to what SOME of you obviously believe. I kind of doubt SP thinks she’s ‘all that’ either.
SOME of you seem to think that she is the ‘mother figure’ who will heal our nation. ‘mother figure’ has been used in other threads. Some of you are so crazed over her that-if you’re Catholic-it wouldn’t surprise me AT ALL if you are praying to SP rather than the Holy Mother in your Rosaries..
No. Thank. You. I already have a savior-and the most Blessed Holy Mother was the ONLY perfect woman.

Sarah Palin IS a good conservative, who has been put through hell by the media, who has nice family(Though I’m not especially fond of Bristol)-and Piper especially is adorable, SP also does DOES have a lot of Chutzpah. That’s a good thing. She not a perfect candidate-but that’s because there is no such creature.She is also just a politician and EVEN SP will do thinks that are calculated to get her elected. Not every thought/deed of her’s is pure. That’s human nature.

SP is NOT the next Reagan or Thatcher. Those two were/are of themselves.
At one time I was a strong Palin supporter but that was before some of you-the ones who aren’t merely Palin supporters but ARE Palin cultists started in with your constant deity worship.
I WILL vote for SP if she’s the nominee-but my vote is starting to become more and and grudging because-Palin Cultists-I don’t want to vote for a candidate that attracts the likes of you.

This is the angriest I’ve gotten in the almost 5 years that I’ve been commenting here. I’m still ALT and I still believe what I believe. I’ve just reached my saturation point. Actually-I reached it a long time ago…it’s just now boiling over.
You that are rational Palin supporters need to take back SP’s brand from the obsessed. If you can do that-I might be willing to listen.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 1, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Amjean on June 1, 2011 at 8:42 AM

i think that story broke after he and Ailes split. But you might have a point. I do remember there was a stroy of Bill Kristol meeting with Ailes to get him to get rid of Beck after his show on the eygpt uprising. Kristol the neocon was upset that Beck was saying the “arab spring” was a muslim extremist movement. Not sure how much pull bill Kristol has at fox or with Ailes.

I’m not a big beck fan either some of his stuff is self promotion and he seems liek he is on a holly roller trip lately but I do like the information he brings to the fore. Wish he would credit others more.

unseen on June 1, 2011 at 9:11 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on June 1, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Nice straw man, but you cannot attribute any of those histrionics to me. Try another tactic – anger management might be a good start.

My criticism isn’t of Palin…it’s of true-believers like you.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 24, 2011 at 11:58 PM

i do have things to criticize about Palin-but I don’t dislike the woman.
I loathe some of her supporters

annoyinglittletwerp on May 25, 2011 at 12:11 AM

I don’t have a problem with Palin supporters.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 25, 2011 at 12:36 AM

fossten on June 1, 2011 at 9:14 AM

hehe:

RealClearScott Scott Conroy
BREAKING: Palin to visit South Carolina (after she tours the “historical sites” in NH & IA): http://bit.ly/mEXqvg
32 seconds ago

unseen on June 1, 2011 at 9:16 AM

“Palin would likely fare more poorly in New Hampshire, which leans towards economic conservatives, and where Independents and Democrats can vote in the GOP primary. And the Republican establishment would rally around the New Hampshire winner. But voters might not oblige.”

I remember when the RNC wrote off Wisconsin in the 2008 race. Sarah Palin wanted to campaign in Wisconsin, and the McCain campaign said no. This is their mindset- timid. They don’t fight, and they subcomb to the Left’s trash talk in the Media. That’s the image of the establishment Republicans they are afraid of the media. If Sarah Palin was running, she wouldn’t just give up and not try and win in New Hampshire. This is the difference between Grassroots and Establishment. Imagine what the RNC could do if they tapped into even a little of that energy, and just got with the program. The objective is to win the Presidency, not put another progressive in the highest office in the land. It doesn’t seem like either party learned a lesson from the Mid Term elections. The American People REJECTED Progressivism, and we drove a stake through it’s heart.

I remember the tax day speech Sarah Palin, made in Madison, Wisconsin. Sarah Palin was on fire. Who else has been taking it to Obama and the progressives? I mean besides Donald Trump?

Dr Evil on June 1, 2011 at 9:16 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on June 1, 2011 at 9:07 AM

With a handle like yours, you really allow others to aggravate you so? I’ve seen some pretty hateful and disgusting things posted about SP and her supporters, but I don’t allow it to influence my attitude toward any other candidate. Anyone who posts on a blog is going to be annoyed, sooner or later. That’s life.

littleguy on June 1, 2011 at 9:17 AM

unseen on June 1, 2011 at 9:07 AM

But video would be sooooo much better.

Cindy Munford on June 1, 2011 at 9:19 AM

JERSEY CITY, N.J. — Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin will visit the first-in-the-South primary state of South Carolina later this month as part of her nationwide bus tour, RealClearPolitics has learned.

According to well-informed sources, Palin’s trip is divided into three separate segments, in which visits to each of the first three voting states — New Hampshire, Iowa, and South Carolina — will be the geographical centerpieces.

Though Palin may work to set up a meeting with Gov. Terry Branstad when she travels to Iowa in the coming days, RCP has learned that she is purposefully bypassing meetings with local party leadership as she works to cultivate her image as an “anti-politician,” in anticipation of a wildly unconventional presidential run.

unseen on June 1, 2011 at 9:19 AM

subcomb: To give in to, To submit, To fall victim, To give up,
To surrender, To give up the fight, debate, or an action.
To give up because of a lack of strenght, insight or intelligence. To give up or lose your will,

Subcomb to the media’s bashing without fighting back. This is what the establishment Republicans do on a daily basis. They can’t figure out that Americans love a fighter.

Dr Evil on June 1, 2011 at 9:20 AM

But video would be sooooo much better.

Cindy Munford on June 1, 2011 at 9:19 AM

True.

unseen on June 1, 2011 at 9:20 AM

Her stance against the unions is a precarious position. She must stay the course on the PEU’s while supporting the unions that work in the private sector. To be honest, the PEU’s have been so front and center, I have no clue what she Thinks about the private sector unions.

csdeven on June 1, 2011 at 8:17 AM

I think this is precisely why, in her speech in Madison, she clearly delineated between the leadership of unions and their greedy anti-business policies, and the needs of rank-and-file union members. She often points out her own family history of schoolteachers, union members close to her etc. when addressing this topic.

I think she walks that line just fine: “Unions can be helpful, and I fully support the needs of energy workers, schoolteachers etc. to make a decent wage to support their families. However, union bosses seem much more concerned about their golden parachutes and political power than the ability of the businesses/governments that employ their members to survive financially,” or words to that effect.

cs89 on June 1, 2011 at 9:21 AM

Their biggest problem with SP is that she is a woman. If she came wrapped in a PhD in history, it wouldn’t be enough. They’d find another flaw to pick on while never admitting that they don’t think a woman is smart enough to be president. It’s old school to think that way. MB has a law degree, but they still dismiss her for the same reason. Don’t like to use that in the opposite way to say vote for someone because they are a woman. Just don’t think they should be discounted because of it. BTW, Charlie, presidents hire advisers who may have PhDs in history or science to help them make better informed decisions.

Kissmygrits on June 1, 2011 at 9:22 AM

ROFL…..

I figure that politicians in office are really busy and they don’t need to be bothered by someone just knocking on their door,” Palin told RCP.

unseen on June 1, 2011 at 9:22 AM

unseen on June 1, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Very interesting, but it sounds risky.

littleguy on June 1, 2011 at 9:22 AM

I kind of doubt SP thinks she’s ‘all that’ either.

I wnder what she thinks when she reads some other worship speak you are referring to? I’d bet, being a decent Christian, it probably makes her sick.

As I went through her resignation speech, I don’t remember seeing the part where she actually said “I resign”. If that is true, she was certainly thinking of her political future way back in 2009.

SP is NOT the next Reagan or Thatcher. Those two were/are of themselves.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 1, 2011 at 9:07 AM

If I had my way, in eight years the new example for strong conservative actualization in government would change from Reaganesque and be be replaced with ________esque. And it wouldn’t bother me a bit if it was Perryesque, Pawlentyesque, Romneyesque, or Palinesque. Any candidate that stops and reverses the traitorous gains progressivism has made over the last 11 years.

csdeven on June 1, 2011 at 9:24 AM

cs89 on June 1, 2011 at 9:21 AM

yeap the union bosses are the “evil CEO’s” of unions….It was nice of the dems to make CEO’s so evil in the minds of the rank and file. It will be easy to show those same voters that union bosses are the CEO’s of unions….

unseen on June 1, 2011 at 9:25 AM

running around the country in a big fat tour bus complaining about how people won’t leave you alone

She isn’t complaining about how people won’t leave her alone. They’re the ones complaining about not knowing her itinerary. She’s keeping them guessing, but when they show up, she talks to them.

Missy on June 1, 2011 at 9:25 AM

SP is NOT the next Reagan or Thatcher. Those two were/are of themselves.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 1, 2011 at 9:07 AM

what part of Palin is a reaganite is so hard to grasp. A person that has governed and led under Reaganism is by definition a reaganite.

unseen on June 1, 2011 at 9:26 AM

Dr Evil on June 1, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Since Illinois was a lost cause in 2008, I donated my time and energy to help out in Wisconsin. I paid my own way. It was an eye opener to how badly McCain was running his campaign. I would not have been there at all, if not for Palin.

Fallon on June 1, 2011 at 9:27 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on June 1, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Umm…yeah. Meltdown much ALT?

In other words, you let the attitude of others pick your candidate for you. You don’t judge SP on her issues or her attitude but on the comments of people who have never met her on a blog on the internet that you don’t even have to read. You are either lying about ever being her supporter or a very shallow and fickle person.

I guess your husband/boyfriend has never called you a goddess or an angel. Bless your heart. Never crossed your mind that it was a compliment, did it? No, he’s some crazed religious zealot who has a shrine dedicated to Palin because he supports her and complimented her. Wow…

SP is NOT the next Reagan or Thatcher. Those two were/are of themselves.

Wow, painting with a large brush there, eh? Winning friends? I think you have some issues and it isn’t because of “Palin cultists.” If you don’t want to listen to them, don’t read what they say. You came here and engaged in the conversation knowing full well. Besides, you are taking the side of a known troll and liar. Not looking too good for you right now.

Seriously? Angriest in five years is over a stupid little comment by fossten, who you seem to follow around and snark at constantly (yes, I know it is two way…doesn’t absolve you). I think you posting here might be unhealthy. Maybe you should step away from the keyboard for a while or avoid reading Palin comments. When people posting “concern troll” riles you up more than anything Obama has done since he’s been in office…

This little meltdown of yours online did you no favors. Instead of painting the Palin supporters as cultists you have simply come off like a crazy poster who is far to emotionally invested in trivial internet postings. In short, you look crazy. Don’t believe me, calm down and then go back and read your post.

Pattosensei on June 1, 2011 at 9:28 AM

RealClearScott Scott Conroy
Palin “An evolution in thinking on foreign policy has kind of resulted in a change of conditions, more so than a change of people around me”
5 minutes ago

unseen on June 1, 2011 at 9:30 AM

On Tuesday, Palin came out emphatically against the ethanol subsidies that have long been sacrosanct in presidential politics, and in the interview with RCP and CNN, she suggested that she intends to go out of her way not to be perceived as pandering to early-state voters.

They’re special but not just because they have a certain date of a primary election,” Palin said of New Hampshire’s famously proud voters. “They’re special because they are Americans

. And obviously they want jobs; they want safety in their communities; they want strong national defense; they want the same things that everybody else wants.”

Palin paused for a second before adding the kicker.

“I guess that’s that non-politician in me,” she said

unseen on June 1, 2011 at 9:36 AM

I am an avid (24/7) Fox News watcher, as with many of my friends.

None of us agree with your assessment that Fox has turned left. Even if Fox’s resident liberal, Alan Colmes, which get’s slapped down often, is appearing more often.

Kini on June 1, 2011 at 2:08 AM

Actually there are many of us who agree with that assessment. Hannity is the only conservative host asd he has as much wattage as a refrigerator light bulb. Shep is a lib. BORe is obnoxious and he show follows a formula radio concept. Rove, Perino, Ditsy Nicole Wallace, Krathammer, Kristol, etc. certainly aren’t conservatives.

Greta is decent.

I stopped watching FNC for two reasons: 1) it took a left turn and 2) same old, same old every night (“We have analysis from Karl Rive”) gets pretty boring.

bw222 on June 1, 2011 at 9:36 AM

I thought Kraut was very fair and made a good point about learning about the world and history and Sarah’s attitude towards that. I’m a Palinista, and I recognize the importance, even the primacy of personal belief, conviction, gut feeling. The Left says the Right isn’t “intellectually curious”. The way the Kraut explains it, I finally at least understand what they mean.

Yes I wish Sarah had a deeper, broader background in history and world affairs. No, I don’t want her to have to “learn on the job”. But she’s so clear and firm about the direction she wants to take the country, which is a direction so different from (and better than) the Obama direction, that’s why I support her so strongly.

Paul-Cincy on June 1, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Pattosensei on June 1, 2011 at 9:28 AM

I have to leave for work but I WILL say that it isn’t over Fossten-it’s over all of ‘you’ that think like him. Enough.
Oh and unseen…Reagan didn’t quit half-way through his first term as governor…or any term as governor.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 1, 2011 at 9:38 AM

On Tuesday, Palin came out emphatically against the ethanol subsidies.

unseen on June 1, 2011 at 9:36 AM

I knew she would. You had the trollers and idiots a few days ago posting here she was FOR ethanol. And you knew that was absurd. It would betray so much of what she stands for. Support for ethanol would cause a massive double take among her supporters.

Paul-Cincy on June 1, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Enlighten me. What is Sarah’s attitude toward learning about history? Please back up your assertion with actual facts (as a good scholar would). Links would be nice.

Pattosensei on June 1, 2011 at 9:41 AM

schooled = connected

Could you please give specific instances and quotations that would prove that Palin has not been getting herself prepared to answer gotcha questions from the press? Because that’s what we are talking about here. And when you get done giving those examples, give some examples of the same questions and comments to and from other republican and democrat politicians.

peacenprosperity on June 1, 2011 at 9:42 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on June 1, 2011 at 9:38 AM

If it bothers you so, don’t come back sweetie. It’s not that difficult.

Pattosensei on June 1, 2011 at 9:43 AM

I REALLY like ice cream. However there are people who eat way too much ice cream and it contributes to thier morbid obesity. Therefore I will never eat ice cream again.

Idiot.

peacenprosperity on June 1, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Pattosensei on June 1, 2011 at 9:28 AM

My comment wasn’t stupid. Or little.

fossten on June 1, 2011 at 9:48 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on June 1, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Not many politicians have been shot while in office, either. Should that be the criteria for comparison?

littleguy on June 1, 2011 at 9:49 AM

My comment wasn’t stupid. Or little.

fossten on June 1, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Compared to the size of both ALT’s and my comments it was little.

It’s a little harder to snark the stupid assertion…I guess you got me.

Pattosensei on June 1, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Compared to the size of both ALT’s and my comments it was little.

It’s a little harder to snark the stupid assertion…I guess you got me.

Pattosensei on June 1, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Heh, It’s all good, I think maybe you meant ‘innocuous.’

fossten on June 1, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Support for ethanol would cause a massive double take among her supporters.

Paul-Cincy on June 1, 2011 at 9:39 AM

yeap. You can say a lot of things about Palin but being two faced is not one of them.

unseen on June 1, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Therefore I will never eat ice cream again.

Idiot.

peacenprosperity on June 1, 2011 at 9:47 AM

there is no such thing as too much ice cream.

unseen on June 1, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Palin to Visit S.C. as Part of Early-State Trifecta

According to well-informed sources, Palin’s trip is divided into three separate segments, in which visits to each of the first three voting states — New Hampshire, Iowa and South Carolina — will be the geographical centerpieces.

Read more…

idesign on June 1, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Mostly, though, she went unnoticed – a remarkable turnaround from just a few hours earlier, when she was mobbed by the press outside her Manhattan meeting with Trump.

She then sat in the hotel lobby with her mother and daughter, aides nowhere in sight, as she waited for a supporter to arrive from New York City to talk about the prospect of a campaign for the White House.

unseen on June 1, 2011 at 10:24 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on June 1, 2011 at 9:38 AM

A little different situation Twerp.

Reagan wasn’t facing nearly 20 frivolous lawsuits and about to go bankrupt and lose everything he owned when he was governor. No one files an ethics complaint about Reagan because he held a TV interview in his office or wore a jacket with a logo on it. Also, as governor Reagan wasn’t targeted by the White House and the Democratic Party the way Palin was.

Prior to his first run for the presidency in 1976 Reagan wasn’t that well known (except by staunch conservatives). Palin’s VP run (and the fact that she had the courage to attack “The Won”) catapulted her into national prominence.

Ronald Reagan and Sarah Palin are different people that faced different challenges and lived in different times.

bw222 on June 1, 2011 at 10:32 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on June 1, 2011 at 9:38 AM

and that has what to do with being a Reaganite?

unseen on June 1, 2011 at 10:47 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on June 1, 2011 at 9:38 AM

and that has what to do with being a Reaganite?

unseen on June 1, 2011 at 10:47 AM

You don’t understand. You see, to the (admittedly) enraged-more-than-any-time-in-the-last-five-years mind, if you can’t be just like Reagan, you can’t adopt his policies.

fossten on June 1, 2011 at 10:53 AM

I believe this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but it bears repeating. O’Reilly has been downright nasty towards Palin since her last interview with him, when she told him to STFU and let her finish her answer. He is a petty little man. Sourkraut has always been dismissive of Palin, so O’Reilly has him on to push the “unelectable, unserious” meme.

Naturally Curly on June 1, 2011 at 11:15 AM

I would like to hear more from her on the history of the country also. The thing I like least about Sarah is her over use of hyperbole when describing…..

freedom loving conservatives who value the time tested beliefs of our patriotic God fearing founders who stood up to the tyranny under the despot King George and led this new idea of a free nation ruled by law and not the whims of man.

I am not sure if she is being cautious or doesn’t know enough about the history of our nation to speak about it without getting into trouble. It just sounds like she has a list of buzz words she needs to put into he speeches and just checks them off the list.

csdeven on June 1, 2011 at 11:30 AM

fossten on June 1, 2011 at 10:53 AM

It’s more than that. they know Palin is a reaganite so they are desperate to say she isn’t.

unseen on June 1, 2011 at 11:35 AM

cs89 on June 1, 2011 at 9:21 AM

Thanks for sharing that. It’s good to know.

csdeven on June 1, 2011 at 11:35 AM

oh Charles..
Hillary has PLENTY of energy , she is in her 60s, ran a nonstop primary all the way to the end with total opposition of her party leadership and has travelled more miles around the world than any other SOS.
And she is damned smart too!

Comparing her ‘energy’ to a 40 y/o on a bus tour is just ridiculous.

And I love Sarah. But really!

ginaswo on June 1, 2011 at 11:54 AM

csdeven on June 1, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Have you read “America by heart?” Among other citations, there are several references to Alexis de Tocqueville regarding American exceptionalism, etc.

cs89 on June 1, 2011 at 12:54 PM

I can see it now, “Can I call you Hussein?”

Christian Conservative on June 1, 2011 at 12:38 AM

“Or do you prefer “Barry Sotero?”

Jaw. Meet floor.

(I’d pay good money to see the look on BHO’s face if the Cuda said that to him.)

GrannyDee on June 1, 2011 at 2:06 PM

alt,

I don’t remember you being a big supporter of Palin, or anyone for that matter. You’ve professed support for mid-west Governors Daniels and Pawlenty. You’ve wished Jindal would run. You’ve wished Pence would run. Last night you stated that you were now liking Cain. ABP in the Primary. You’ve complained about Palin’s hunting (but not Cheney’s)and about some of her most ardent supporters but, I don’t remember complaints about her policy statements or other comments…

Gohawgs on June 1, 2011 at 2:29 PM

cs89 on June 1, 2011 at 12:54 PM

No I haven’t. Even if I had I still would wonder if she speak of it off the cuff. It is probably inconsequential and is just my perception.

csdeven on June 1, 2011 at 2:58 PM

SP is NOT the next Reagan or Thatcher. Those two were/are of themselves.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 1, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Of course she isn’t. There are too many tight-assed types in the GOP to ever let something crazy like that happen again.

pseudoforce on June 1, 2011 at 3:08 PM