Quotes of the day

posted at 10:41 pm on May 31, 2011 by Allahpundit

“In a Republican presidential field where no top-tier candidate offers a flawless resume, the question facing GOP primary voters is whether they can find a diamond in the rough — a standard-bearer who embodies the party’s conservative backbone and can give President Obama a run for his money.

“With former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, the nominal front-runner in a wide-open field, set to formally enter the race Thursday, all of the top candidates have significant deviations from Republican orthodoxy on their records, while the second-tier hopefuls have yet to prove they can raise funds and energize base voters enough to threaten Mr. Obama’s re-election hopes…

“‘There is a reason why Republicans are so desperate to find another candidate and begging candidates to get into the race, because the current crop just isn’t cutting it,’ said Mo Elliethee, a Democratic strategist.”

***
“Asked on her way into the restaurant about Trump’s past political donations, Palin responded, ‘I think I’ll go change his mind and make sure he’s contributing to constitutional conservatives.’

“‘She didn’t ask me [to run with her] but I’ll tell you, she’s a terrific woman,’ Trump said as they walked in. Trump’s special counsel, Michael Cohen, told reporters that the pair had talked in the past about meeting up whenever Palin found herself in New York…

“The first person who approached Palin outside the restaurant was Diane Barone, a union activist from Youngstown, Ohio in town for IUE-CWA contract negotiations. She shook Palin’s hand and would not let go, telling the former governor she disagreed with her positions on unions. Palin responded calmly that her father had been a union member and that making things better for working people ‘is something on which we can agree.’ She said afterwards that she doubted she could change Palin’s mind, but you never know: ‘I thought she would ignore me and she did not, she shook my hand.’”

***
“‘This family has been tested,’ Palin said. ‘When people talk about how she was just plucked up out of Wasilla, you have to look at her career. Every step in her career is another step for the family, and we were prepared.

“‘These kids grew up around the mayor of a small town,’ he added. ‘Local politics is in your face every day. It’s not like you get on a plane and fly to D.C. or Juneau.’…

“Palin said there is a list of ‘pros and cons’ that the family is weighing. ‘But this country, we have to get back on the right track,’ he said.”

***
“The conventional wisdom is that the Republican establishment will rally around whoever it needs to defeat Palin. But that might not be so easy. With Mike Huckabee, John Thune and Haley Barbour all skipping the race, Palin could claim much of the social-conservative vote. Yes, Rick Santorum and Michele Bachmann play in that space, but they’re chihuahuas. Palin is the big dog. Her support among Christian evangelicals would prove particularly valuable in Iowa, whose low-turnout caucuses reward intensity of support, not breadth. In Iowa, passion can beat organization: In 2008, Huckabee beat Mitt Romney there by nine points. And in Iowa, extremism is no vice: Pat Robertson beat George H.W. Bush there in 1988. It’s the perfect state for her.

“Palin would likely fare more poorly in New Hampshire, which leans towards economic conservatives, and where Independents and Democrats can vote in the GOP primary. And the Republican establishment would rally around the New Hampshire winner. But voters might not oblige. Romney, the early favorite both in New Hampshire and among GOP moneybags, has Hillary Clinton’s problem. In 2008, the thing grassroots Democrats most wanted from their presidential nominee was a thundering denunciation of the Iraq War. Hillary, because she voted to authorize force, couldn’t offer one…

“Goldwater and McGovern were far more substantive than Palin, to be sure. But they won because they inspired passion, because their opponents were weak, and because their party wasn’t in a tactical mood. Could that happen again in 2012? If I were Sarah Palin, I’d want to find out.”

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

None of us agree with your assessment that Fox has turned left. Even if Fox’s resident liberal, Alan Colmes, which get’s slapped down often, is appearing more often.

Kini on June 1, 2011 at 2:08 AM

I have to agree with Unseen. It has slowly become more left over the years. It is still better than the hard left MSM, but that a rather low standard and does tend to make FOX look more conservative than it actually is.

sharrukin on June 1, 2011 at 2:12 AM

the simple answer is always the best. Beck is going away becaus efox as moved to the left.

unseen on June 1, 2011 at 2:12 AM

maybe left is the wrong word and we are nor crossing paths because of it.

Let’s say fox has moved to the center insteasd of the center-right they were.

unseen on June 1, 2011 at 2:14 AM

unseen on June 1, 2011 at 2:12 AM

Okay, so why didn’t Fox just shut down the show? Why does Beck continue to produce new shows, even as I watch ( before redeye)????

I see no evidence that Fox is moving left. Examples?

Kini on June 1, 2011 at 2:15 AM

I see no evidence that Fox is moving left. Examples?

Kini on June 1, 2011 at 2:15 AM

like I said above “left” might be too strong of a word. Move to the center. As far as why beck It hink it was an agreed upon move by both parties. I tend to agree with Beck when he says they both decided to go a different direction.

And remember it’s liek a ship you just don’t turn the ship around. It takes a wide swing to come about. As far as evidence BOR, Beck leaving, less talk about the TEA party, forcing Newt and Santoruom out. Geraldo, shep, Wallace. The news stories and themes they promote.

I think maybe I see it more because I don’t watch it everyday. Kind of like you don’t see your child growing everyday but if he goes away for summer camp for 2 weeks than comes home, he looks like he grew 5 inches.

unseen on June 1, 2011 at 2:26 AM

BUt that answer is not that simple since beck came over from CNN. But as long as we are aware SOMETHING is up, we can just be more skeptical about anything and verify everything.

karenhasfreedom on June 1, 2011 at 2:27 AM

Also, don’t forget to watch redeye tonite, it might be funny with the weiner gate thing all over the news.

karenhasfreedom on June 1, 2011 at 2:27 AM

sharrukin on June 1, 2011 at 2:12 AM

I’ve been following Fox since 9/11. At that time, I was hooked on CNN, because I lived in airports. In hotel rooms, and at home, I gravitated towards Fox, because of their programming. It was, and still is, Fair and Balanced.

I sense no left leaning, after reading unseen’s post, Yes, more towards the center. I don’t see that as a bad thing.

Many lefties, I know, family and otherwise, were surprised to see Juan Williams on Fox, they had no idea that Fox had pick him up after his firing from NPR. Yeah, I have a Monica Crowley family, which makes Thanksgiving an adventure.

If anything, Fox has been battling that stigma the leftest media flag has planted on Fox, as not being a REAL news network. Obama has used that to smear Fox, at Fox’s rating bonus.

But perception is part of “Winning the Future”, isn’t it? You have a NBC totally socialist, and Proud of it, beating their chest, network. A insignificant ABC, keeping up with the Jone’s network, and CNN.

The ratings, would also show the shift in loss of viewers if Fox was as you say. I think it’s a balance.

Kini on June 1, 2011 at 2:28 AM

karenhasfreedom on June 1, 2011 at 2:27 AM

Crap, they just bumped Beck for the shuttle landing.

Beck came over from HLN, the CNN offshoot, replaced by Joyless Blowhard.

We may be watching the networks position themselves as election “Must Watch” channels.

A Glenn Beck might be…. ahem, a distraction… to the news cycle. I will miss that show, it was educational and informative.

Unseen, rating and election may be driving Fox’s programing decision. For that, I don’t fault them for that.

Kini on June 1, 2011 at 2:35 AM

Kini on June 1, 2011 at 2:35 AM

maybe who is to say.. I just point out a change. Not sure why they changed. noticed it after the NOV elecytions but it could have been after the shootings….Like I said i don’t know why can make guess but that and a $5 will buy you a coffee.

As far as today’s beck show here you go:

unseen on June 1, 2011 at 2:39 AM

sharrukin on June 1, 2011 at 2:12 AM

I’ve noticed it as well,agree with your assesment 100%.

heshtesh on June 1, 2011 at 2:44 AM

That would be some of the evidence you were asking for.

Kini on June 1, 2011 at 2:28 AM

Not sure how you would measure that though? I mean where exactly would people go from FOX if they weren’t happy with the direction? Some would simply stop watching but I think that would get lost in the general drop.

FOX is losing viewers. Around a 5% or 6% loss from last year I believe.

sharrukin on June 1, 2011 at 2:44 AM

CNN absorbed the heaviest losses during 2010 by far, especially in prime time. Median viewership dropped 37% to 564,000 viewers. HLN, CNN’s sibling channel, dipped 17% to 434,000. Fox viewership fell 11%, to 1.9 million. MSNBC, which fared least badly, had a viewership decline of 5%, to 747,000.

The daytime pecking order of Fox-CNN-MSNBC-HLN remained intact in 2010, although, as in prime time, CNN lost the greatest percentage of viewers, 28%, with a median of 450,000 viewers. Fox’s daytime viewership dropped 9% to a median of 1.1 million viewers. MSNBC managed to maintain its audience levels, dropping just 1% to a median viewership of 322,000. HLN lost 4% during daytime, to 250,000 viewers.

sharrukin on June 1, 2011 at 2:48 AM

*rubs sleep from eyes unsuccessfully*

‘I thought she would ignore me and she did not, she shook my hand.’”

vs.

“Why can’t I just eat my waffle?”

Who’s the leader and who’s the quitter again?

OMG, I pray for the day these two are on the stage together debating.

turfmann on June 1, 2011 at 2:51 AM

As far as today’s beck show here you go:

unseen on June 1, 2011 at 2:39 AM

MEH! The miracle of DVD. I always have a backup in case of breaking news. Thanks! ^_^

I will never pay $5 for coffee…. we grow it here.

Serious, the only news channel that has taken a real turn is NBC. They are the one to watch.

Fox’s doesn’t have a lot of leftest show hosts. Geraldo is the only one I’ve seen, besides the questionable Eddie Munster. Even then, Geraldo tone has mellowed toward a conservative view. I would have never expected that.

If you look at the Fox line up, the old timers, Brit Hume and the like, they all cam from the alphabet networks and Fox bought them up.

The best of the rest? I wonder?

Kini on June 1, 2011 at 2:52 AM

FOX is losing viewers. Around a 5% or 6% loss from last year I believe.

sharrukin on June 1, 2011 at 2:44 AM

My refugee channels are, believe it or not, HGTV and TLC. Sometimes watching house hunters is preferable to the drivel on the news.

Geraldo is backing away from his obama hero worship. I think he has been really disappointed. Also, he is around the military a lot. They probably are setting him straight.

karenhasfreedom on June 1, 2011 at 2:58 AM

AHEM, I used to watch Fox! I cancelled the cable, I get ALL my news on line now , I click links that are offered, etc. I no longer have a tv. If I want to watch something I can search and find it, and I just learned how to turn on a computer 5 years ago. O’Really moved towards left in 2008 to get the Obama interview, he didn’t really move back from that.

bigmike on June 1, 2011 at 2:59 AM

FOX is losing viewers. Around a 5% or 6% loss from last year I believe.

sharrukin on June 1, 2011 at 2:44 AM

If you are referring to the same stats of declining viewership, then that’s across the board. I think that’s much like the ebb and flow of the oceans. It’s not likre a Global Warming rise of the oceans, and planet healing itself, kinda thing.

The ratings show that Fox news is overwhelming the leader in viewership. That is to their credit in keeping a short attention span audience watching.

If you go over the day by day, month by month, and year by year stats, the numbers always favor Fox.

Kini on June 1, 2011 at 3:00 AM

too funny, redeye starting right off with wienergate, then onto the idiot in charge of the DNC and her cargate.

karenhasfreedom on June 1, 2011 at 3:01 AM

Palinistas calling Krauthammer dumb. Hilarious.

Obama made women faint and college kids lose their minds.

Palin just makes conservatives stupid.

TheBlueSite on June 1, 2011 at 3:01 AM

Welcome Home Endeavor…

Seven Percent Solution on June 1, 2011 at 3:02 AM

RED EYE!

Kini on June 1, 2011 at 3:02 AM

I shut mine down after about six months of barely watching TV at all. There are a few things out there I will watch but I can get them other ways and on my own schedule and cable/TV just made no sense to me any more.

karenhasfreedom on June 1, 2011 at 2:58 AM

I think a lot of leftists are dealing with that at the moment. Kirsten Powers is another. Given time, Geraldo will find another leftist hero. Some of them might find their way to sanity but as Churchill said…Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.

sharrukin on June 1, 2011 at 3:03 AM

Kini on June 1, 2011 at 3:00 AM

You’re defending FOX and certainly in comparison they are doing better, but MSNBC maintained whats left of their leftist audience better than FOX did which doesn’t mean they are better than FOX. Why didn’t FOX do as well in keeping their audience as MSNBC did?

Anyway, the leftward drift is just a perception on my part and I don’t think it can be quantified.

sharrukin on June 1, 2011 at 3:10 AM

Another thing that might be affecting total viewing numbers is the viewers are older and feel the have other priorities for their money, like food, gas, payments, we are after all IN A FREAKING DEPRESSION, in case no one has noticed, no matter how much the numbers the government puts out are massaged.

bigmike on June 1, 2011 at 3:11 AM

sharrukin on June 1, 2011 at 3:03 AM

Kristen Powers quit drinking the koolaid, very noticeably, last year. She is actually quite objective these days. She has also improved as a commentator, as she is more experienced now.

karenhasfreedom on June 1, 2011 at 3:11 AM

sharrukin on June 1, 2011 at 3:10 AM

I’m not defending Fox, I’m citing stats.

As karenhasfreedom points out, Kristen Powers, as well as Krystal Ball, got dinged for stating things that were factually incorrect. Fox at least Fact Checks their commentators.

Kini on June 1, 2011 at 3:17 AM

And Alan “Skeletor” Colmes

Kini on June 1, 2011 at 3:19 AM

karenhasfreedom on June 1, 2011 at 3:11 AM

I noticed the same thing. She would try to make arguments but you could often see her heart wasn’t in it, and she would be smiling when she made them. On other occasions she would make emotional arguments in place of logical ones that she clearly no longer believed. Her article and walkback on Planned Parenthood was also interesting.

sharrukin on June 1, 2011 at 3:19 AM

Kirsten Powers is probably finally growing up. You know the old saying, if you are not liberal when you are young, you have not heart and if you are not conservative once you are older, you don’t have a brain HAHA

karenhasfreedom on June 1, 2011 at 3:27 AM

Redeye is pretty good tonite. I think they are going down the hotair topics one by one.

karenhasfreedom on June 1, 2011 at 3:27 AM

Gatta love the half time…

Kini on June 1, 2011 at 3:36 AM

Clean and articulate…..?

Well, so much for… I donno.. crap

Kini on June 1, 2011 at 3:48 AM

We don’t need a candidate we need a leader.

Cindy Munford on May 31, 2011 at 10:58 PM

Very true and may I add that we need a Warrior. Who of all the candidates is the least afraid to fight, and keeps coming back with no fear? Hmmm?

Conservalicious on June 1, 2011 at 3:59 AM

conservalicious, terrific screen name.

unseen, can you send me an email at my yahoo address? my screen name here is my yahoo email. I really need to ask you a question. Thanks.

karenhasfreedom on June 1, 2011 at 4:10 AM

Darn, overslept and missed the first half…

OmahaConservative on June 1, 2011 at 4:39 AM

d’oh.
missed the whole thing…

OmahaConservative on June 1, 2011 at 4:50 AM

Darn, overslept and missed the first half…

OmahaConservative on June 1, 2011 at 4:39 AM

What first half did you miss?..:)

PS..Good to see you OC!..:)

Dire Straits on June 1, 2011 at 4:50 AM

Darn, overslept and missed the first half…

OmahaConservative on June 1, 2011 at 4:39 AM
What first half did you miss?..:)

PS..Good to see you OC!..:)

Dire Straits on June 1, 2011 at 4:50 AM

I’ll assume you are talking about Red Eye!..:)

Dire Straits on June 1, 2011 at 4:56 AM

Dire Straits on June 1, 2011 at 4:56 AM

Yup. meant to wake up for it…
damn.
was it good?

OmahaConservative on June 1, 2011 at 5:01 AM

OmahaConservative on June 1, 2011 at 5:01 AM

It was cool!..:)

Dire Straits on June 1, 2011 at 5:03 AM

Did they cover Weinergate?

OmahaConservative on June 1, 2011 at 5:14 AM

Barring a hotly-contested Democratic primary, why wouldn’t Democrats in NH flock to the GOP primary and vote for Palin? I mean, if they’re convinced she’s a loser, why not? This is why I think she would take NH.

Kafir on June 1, 2011 at 5:18 AM

Did they cover Weinergate?

OmahaConservative on June 1, 2011 at 5:14 AM

Yes they did..Front and center!..:)

Dire Straits on June 1, 2011 at 5:20 AM

I think the foxnews website has a redeye link to download the show somewhere. They mentioned it a few times on their show.

karenhasfreedom on June 1, 2011 at 5:23 AM

Kafir on June 1, 2011 at 5:18 AM

I don’t know If you’re serious or not, but I have been making this point sarcastically for a long time. Democrats claim to be *dying* to run against Palin, but I think they’re bluffing. Does anyone think that any Democrats are going to cross over and vote for Palin in the open primaries to help her be our nominee? Honestly?

Kataklysmic on June 1, 2011 at 5:26 AM

OmahaConservative on June 1, 2011 at 5:14 AM

Good to see you!..Hope everything goes well for you!..:)

Dire Straits on June 1, 2011 at 5:27 AM

karenhasfreedom on June 1, 2011 at 5:23 AM

Awesome. I’ll check it out after work. It can replace Shep & Studio B…
Is it watchable when sober?

OmahaConservative on June 1, 2011 at 5:33 AM

Tweet from @WhitneyPitcher: Essentially, Gov. Palin is one of the few, if not the only, who wouldn’t perjure herself by taking the oath of office.

Boy, ain’t that the truth!!

NoNails on June 1, 2011 at 5:39 AM

Kataklysmic on June 1, 2011 at 5:26 AM

By the time the primary was held in my state, McCain had it locked up, so I waited in line to vote for Hillary in the Democratic primary. Heck yes, I’m serious. I think the rank and file Democrats have fallen for their rhetoric and would flock to the polls to vote for her.

Kafir on June 1, 2011 at 5:49 AM

I wonder if GW Bush or Bill Clinton had all this schooling CK speaks of. Bush was a governor and so was Clinton. Where did they get their smarts, eh Dr. K?

Kafir on June 1, 2011 at 5:51 AM

awesome Palin photo

commodore on May 31, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Piper has a telling smirk about what she thinks about the media.

the_nile on June 1, 2011 at 6:34 AM

I see a lot in this thread about FNC moving left. Not a bit of it. The lineup has Cavuto, Bill O, Hannity (without Colmes for the past year or more) and Greta with Shep doing news followed Special Report (I don’t see Baier as any conservative than Hume) as they have forever. The only big change was the experiment with the ultra-loon Howard Beale (aka Glenn Beck) which fortunately is coming to its whimpering end.

The network (to include Fox Biz) has definitely moved in the libertarian direction. They gave Stossel his weekly show, which is usually pretty good. But then they have that idiotic, cackling, creepy judge on every evening with appearances through the day as well.

MJBrutus on June 1, 2011 at 6:38 AM

Beware what you say CK and oreilly, you both came off as bigoted men saying a women don’t have the ‘right’ world view…that was ridiculous, petty, and uncalled for.

tinkerthinker on June 1, 2011 at 6:43 AM

Kafir on June 1, 2011 at 5:51 AM

Better question, where did Obozo get his?

karenhasfreedom on June 1, 2011 at 6:51 AM

Donald Trump will be on Fox and Friends this hour to talk about his meeting with Sarah last night. This will be interesting.

karenhasfreedom on June 1, 2011 at 7:03 AM

Ooops, Gretchen just said he would be on F&F in “an hour from now”, so maybe trump will be on the 8 am hour.

karenhasfreedom on June 1, 2011 at 7:05 AM

Fox is not left, it is now, for the most part, part of the DC Beltway insiders, which are pro big government, now that might be similar to being a lefty, but difference is in the arguments put forth. Brit Hume last night was great example of a DC insider…he has never been a conservative, he just did not follow the total stupidity of the lefties.

Anyone that does not understand that the best shot conservatives have of winning the Whitehouse is with Sarah Palin, is literally just ignoring reality. No one has her charisma combined with the correct positions on the issues. Obamas strength are his looks, his public persona,and having a press core that is basically his personal PR team. But Ronald Reagan broke through all of that and Sarah Palin can too.

By the way, George Will sucks

georgealbert on June 1, 2011 at 7:06 AM

I agree with the hoity toity Krauthammer..after all even hoity toity people have a right to their opinion.

I went to the usual places this morning on the internet just sort of checking things out..and everywhere I went there was some kind of ad for buying something about Palin, donating money to Palin..etc.

A couple of weeks ago Tim Pawlenty went out on the limb and called for an end to subsidies…while he was in Iowa no less and no one made that big a deal out of it….but after he went out on that limb Palin comes along says something about ending subsidies and there is the usual gushing etc about how brave she is.

My problem with Palin is that I no longer have faith in the fact that she cares as much about the country as she cares about promoting herself. I could be wrong, I have been wrong lots of times…but considering the fact that there have been book tours, reality tv shows, internet ads, running around the country in a big fat tour bus complaining about how people won’t leave you alone..along with pizza summits with the Donald..well it is not as if she seems all that serious about policy so much as self promotion.

If she gets the nomination, I will vote for her, but I am not all that impressed anymore. At least Bachmann is at work doing her job and making real votes and taking real chances.

Terrye on June 1, 2011 at 7:14 AM

sad, she only sees this type of kindess on the conservative side….she knows she’d never see that on the lib side….

pretty sad indeed

cmsinaz on June 1, 2011 at 7:15 AM

We shut off the cable over a year ago to save almost $100 a month.

It was more related to needing to cut expenses somewhere because of the economy. $100 a month adds up. And we can get everything online.

PappyD61 on June 1, 2011 at 7:22 AM

So says Charles Krauthammer, the brilliant speechwriter for President Jimmy Carter. One of the masterminds of the Mondale landslide win over Reagan.

lonestar1 on May 31, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Yeah, you need to check your facts partner.

csdeven on June 1, 2011 at 7:24 AM

Krauthammer right on the money about Palin.

Dash on June 1, 2011 at 7:28 AM

Krauthammer right on the money about Palin.

Dash on June 1, 2011 at 7:28 AM

No he’s not.

powerpro on June 1, 2011 at 7:33 AM

Dash on June 1, 2011 at 7:28 AM

until I here him say that about any other candidate he a liar.

yea he was so right that 1 yr on the O, think I will pass

djohn669 on June 1, 2011 at 7:35 AM

Yeah, you need to check your facts partner.

csdeven on June 1, 2011 at 7:24 AM

Yeah, and you need to read before you write. lonestar1 agreed that he wasn’t a speechwriter for Carter, but did work in the Carter administration.

NoNails on June 1, 2011 at 7:36 AM

Krauthammer right on the money about Palin.

Dash on June 1, 2011 at 7:28 AM

And what pray tell gives you that insight? When it comes to Palin’s “schooling”, CK is without required learning.

NoNails on June 1, 2011 at 7:38 AM

Terrye on June 1, 2011 at 7:14 AM

I think Sarah is doing a great job promoting conservative values in an age when we desperately need it. The problem I have is she is so polarizing, I am fearful the unfavorable numbers she has will damage the idea of conservatism with folks who don’t understand conservatism. Someone told me yesterday that Sarah doesn’t give a rats @ss about those who go to the LSM for their news. This is wrong headed. Those people are the ones she has to convince! These are the folks whom are propping up the LSM. When they can be educated they will abandon the LSM for blogs etc and that will be the end of one of the progressive’s greatest tools in their quest in destroying this country.

On Hot Air, it is very hard to separate what Sarah really believes verses what we hear from her supporters. I believe that if Sarah had the same attitude that many of her supporters say she has, she is destined to be a bigger joke than Trump.

I’ll list those issues in a later comment.

csdeven on June 1, 2011 at 7:40 AM

NoNails on June 1, 2011 at 7:36 AM

No I don’t. I read and respond as I move along. lonestar1 needs to check his/her facts before writing them. It isn’t that hard.

csdeven on June 1, 2011 at 7:42 AM

Terrye on June 1, 2011 at 7:14 AM

Crack emce has you all figured out , you’re just a seminar moby.

the_nile on June 1, 2011 at 7:42 AM

Terrye on June 1, 2011 at 7:14 AM

bachmann is at work taking votes? Last I heard all she was doing was criscrossing iowa and hounding people for donations

promachus on June 1, 2011 at 7:44 AM

Terrye on June 1, 2011 at 7:14 AM

Since Palin can’t depend on the media to stick to facts, she recognizes that she must use any means available to speak directly to the people. If she doesn’t promote herself, who will? Why does that bother you? Why hasn’t the media seen fit to discuss her policy positions? Why do old fools like Krauthammer ignore Palin’s contribution to the discussion of the issues the last 2+ years?

It should bother you that the media and the GOP establishment don’t want you to know how she has been out front on virtually every major issue, be it foreign affairs, economics, or energy development. It should bother you that CK and his merry band of obsolete talking heads don’t seem to attach the same list of requirements on the other candidates/prospective candidates as they do Palin.

NoNails on June 1, 2011 at 7:48 AM

csdeven on June 1, 2011 at 7:42 AM

you better never mess up post ever. cause you are going to eat it.I hate. holier than thou ppl.

djohn669 on June 1, 2011 at 7:49 AM

NoNails on June 1, 2011 at 7:48 AM

A politician that’s not “self promoting” is called a voter.

The criticism of Palin is just absurd.

the_nile on June 1, 2011 at 7:51 AM

djohn669 on June 1, 2011 at 7:49 AM

Are you kidding? csdeven is as inconsistent as a Class A pitcher who has been throwing gopher balls at a little ballpark in Podunk, USA.

NoNails on June 1, 2011 at 7:53 AM

Wrong headed stances that Sarah should NOT adopt.

1) Dismissing her skeptics.
2) Insulting her opponents just to show her cleverness.
3) Poking the LSM with a stick for the sake of it.
4) Asking for media attention and then complaining about it.
5) Presenting herself as THE arbiter of who is a conservative.
6) Ridicule conventional wisdom for the sake of it.

Thankfully, Sarah DOES NOT embrace those attitudes. I have to tell you that when I read the comments that assign those attitudes to Sarah, I am not encouraged to seek out anything that Sarah says. And that is bad because I do listen to what she says. When those comments have that effect on me, I can see how a person who views her unfavorable would continue to dismiss her out of hand.

csdeven on June 1, 2011 at 7:55 AM

I have to say, I wasn’t sure what Palin was doing with this bus tour, but it looks pretty brilliant now. She has to go over the heads of the MSM and straight to the people to change the conventional wisdom about her. She has to run a very unconventional campaign if she is indeed running for President. She is making the media meet her on her own terms, and apparently is winning so far.

Very, very shrewd woman. I would not count her out.

Oh, and as for the initial quotes, not all the GOP moneybags are backing Romney this time. A lot of them were waiting for Mitch Daniels to get in and are still looking for a candidate because they don’t think Romney can win. The folks who backed McCain in 2008 really do not like Romney or his people and will not support him. Palin can get these people if she plays her cards right.

rockmom on June 1, 2011 at 7:55 AM

djohn669 on June 1, 2011 at 7:49 AM

I mess up all the time and am more than willing to listen to valid criticism. But as you can see, my comment to a person who made a mistake is not laced with personal insults, name calling, and demeaning accusations.

People who do the same with me will get my attention. Those who use insults have shown their focus is on using their potty mouth in a anonymous forum and therefore get zero consideration from me. Anyone can use their potty mouth. An adult transcends that and addresses folks in the manner they wish to be addressed.

csdeven on June 1, 2011 at 8:00 AM

1) Dismissing her skeptics.
2) Insulting her opponents just to show her cleverness.
3) Poking the LSM with a stick for the sake of it.
4) Asking for media attention and then complaining about it.
5) Presenting herself as THE arbiter of who is a conservative.
6) Ridicule conventional wisdom for the sake of it.

csdeven on June 1, 2011 at 7:55 AM

The ultimate concern troll post.

fossten on June 1, 2011 at 8:01 AM

csdeven on June 1, 2011 at 7:55 AM

I just love how everyone comes on here to tell Sarah what she should do, like they have some incredible insight into how it all going to work, but all it is, your opinion.

djohn669 on June 1, 2011 at 8:01 AM

csdeven on June 1, 2011 at 7:55 AM

Your comments are getting stranger and weirder by the minute.
I can’t even tell what points you are trying to make.,,,LOL

idesign on June 1, 2011 at 8:01 AM

rockmom on June 1, 2011 at 7:55 AM

Michelle Malkin has a pretty good column on this today.

NoNails on June 1, 2011 at 8:01 AM

csdeven on June 1, 2011 at 8:00 AM

Get off your high horse. I’ve seen you call people names here, especially when you got called out for lying about your posts on HuffingtonPost.

fossten on June 1, 2011 at 8:02 AM

Lord does Joe Scarborough know how plain jealous he sounds of Sarah Palin saying she ‘doesn’t matter” and starting his 5 am and 6 am and 7am show with video and non-stop discussions of her?

Willie Geist should step away from the show. He used to be somewhat likable but the douche is contagious at that place and now he’s just as pompous.

Marcus on June 1, 2011 at 8:06 AM

morning joe insists that she will never get the nomination…we shall see joe…

cmsinaz on June 1, 2011 at 8:07 AM

Marcus on June 1, 2011 at 8:06 AM

he keeps referring to his time in office, it’s getting old real quick…

cmsinaz on June 1, 2011 at 8:07 AM

cmsinaz on June 1, 2011 at 8:07 AM

Joe used to be watchable, when he fist began his nightly show at MSNBC. Now he is a RINO, and nothing but a token who is referred to as a Conservative. However, I am sure that both of his viewers enjoys his program.

kingsjester on June 1, 2011 at 8:11 AM

Scarborough’s idiotic howling laugh makes me leap to change the channel. The bosses at MSNBC must cringe. Like the guy at a party you step away from or everybody turns to see who the ass is making all the noise.

Marcus on June 1, 2011 at 8:13 AM

I’ll list those issues in a later comment.

csdeven on June 1, 2011 at 7:40 AM

Don’t bother, we don’t care…

right2bright on June 1, 2011 at 8:14 AM

kingsjester on June 1, 2011 at 8:11 AM

Marcus and I listen to the background noise while we get ready for the day….

cmsinaz on June 1, 2011 at 8:15 AM

I see no evidence that Fox is moving left. Examples?

Kini on June 1, 2011 at 2:15 AM

Late to the party, but something is up at Fox. The “tone,” which is really hard to explain, has changed. The little snide remarks of Shep, BO, Rove, Krauthammer and others…

I do think a deal was struck with the White House, just a gut feeling.

Fallon on June 1, 2011 at 8:17 AM

Contrary to what Charles Krauthammer said “55-45 Bachman over Palin” on O’Reilly tonight, Michele Bachmann did NOT win the Special Report online poll. The results were:

Palin 71.4% 9,591
Bachman 28.6% 3,841

SheetAnchor on June 1, 2011 at 12:02 AM

This should have been the headline thread:
“Saurkraut and BOR lied” They down and outright
lied. Does anyone care about this? Or are we so used
to the media lies that we just shrug our shoulders and
walk away?

Amjean on June 1, 2011 at 8:17 AM

rockmom on June 1, 2011 at 7:55 AM

I was sure this tour and movie served two purposes. First, to see if she can improve her image among her skeptics. 2nd, to increase donations to SarahPAC for either a presidential run or to fund her role as king/queen maker for 2012.

The one question I have is if this tour and movie will cause those skeptics to take the time to come and see her. On the tour she does have the opportunity to reach patriots who will not listen to her. But I do not know how large that group is. I think that most people who know her have already made their minds up either way. I do not see people who distrust her taking time out of their Memorial Day weekend or a Friday night movie night to go see her. With her absolute angst toward the LSM, she wont get them to report on her favorably. This was what Reagan did. He bypassed their bias by getting some of his political opponents to say favorable things about him. Sarah MUST find a way to reach the moderate democrats. She will do that by being their champion on certain issues. Jobs and national defense just to name a two. Her stance against the unions is a precarious position. She must stay the course on the PEU’s while supporting the unions that work in the private sector. To be honest, the PEU’s have been so front and center, I have no clue what she Thinks about the private sector unions.

csdeven on June 1, 2011 at 8:17 AM

HA Trump just said he doesn’t respect the cabbage pounder. He called him WEAK. haha

karenhasfreedom on June 1, 2011 at 8:18 AM

both OReilly and Krauthammer are so clueless about what is going through the minds of us out here in flyover country. And, for that matter, so is Sarah Palin. DD

Darvin Dowdy on June 1, 2011 at 8:19 AM

I’ll list those issues in a later comment.

csdeven on June 1, 2011 at 7:40 AM

Don’t bother, we don’t care…

right2bright on June 1, 2011 at 8:14 AM

+100

OmahaConservative on June 1, 2011 at 8:22 AM

Darvin Dowdy on June 1, 2011 at 8:19 AM

Care to explain your last sentence?

NoNails on June 1, 2011 at 8:25 AM

Don’t bother, we don’t care…

right2bright on June 1, 2011 at 8:14 AM

I always look at the author of a comment before I start reading it. If it is someone who has a pattern of engaging in name calling, personal insults, and demeaning accusations I don’t bother reading them. That is because I am not interested in hurling insults and that is the only thing that person wants to engage in. If you would prefer to engage in those insults, don’t read what I write, because I will not respond to it. Find someone else. There is no shortage of people who want to have that kind of conversation.

csdeven on June 1, 2011 at 8:26 AM

Fox has moved ever so slightly to the left… but her bigger problem is that her viewership has moved decidedly to the right.

A Fox viewer in 2003 who was satisfied with Bush and the GOP establishment now sees that wing of the party as a major part of the problem. There is no war effort to rally Fox viewers. That leaves Fox stuck in the last decade as many have moved into the reality of 2011.

I only watch FNC if there is a major event happening (tsunami, shooting, etc.), but I get my news from the internet. And as I’ve argued in the past, much of FNC’s “talent” is minor league. She survived with such dregs because she was the only alternative. I think that what has severely damaged the Old Guard (NY Times, Newsweek, etc.) is starting to hurt Fox. That is, the new media.

It’s one thing to be the only alternative to CNN and MSNBC, it’s another thing to offer a refocused conservative right O’Reilly, Hannity and Van Susteren. Not exactly murderers’ row.

mankai on June 1, 2011 at 8:27 AM

Darvin Dowdy on June 1, 2011 at 8:19 AM

Speaking from the NW corner of the Magnolia State, there’s not a potential candidate out there that mirrors the average Americans in flyover country any closer that Gov. Palin does.

kingsjester on June 1, 2011 at 8:27 AM

Your comments are getting stranger and weirder by the minute.
I can’t even tell what points you are trying to make.,,,LOL

idesign on June 1, 2011 at 8:01 AM

Well then that should relieve you of any desire to read my comments then. And it will save you from wasting the insults on me. There may be someone out there that is bothered by it and will satisfy you by getting their feelings hurt.

csdeven on June 1, 2011 at 8:30 AM