Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on May 31, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Any time an American President addresses the subject of our nation’s military, it’s de rigueur to note that we have the finest military in world history –and for good reasons.  That’s especially true on days set aside to honor military service and sacrifice.  Or, at least it used to be:

This day is about you, and the fallen heroes that you loved.  And it’s a day that has meaning for all Americans, including me.  It’s one of my highest honors, it is my most solemn responsibility as President, to serve as Commander-in-Chief of one of the finest fighting forces the world has ever known.

One of them, huh?  Which others would Obama like to single out as superior or equal to the American military?  Do we get the gold medal, or the silver or bronze?

Comments

The delitante professor-president leaves this question as an exercise for the reader.

NeighborhoodCatLady on May 31, 2011 at 8:08 AM

Well he is one of the “Stupidest Presidents” the United States has ever known.

JimK on May 31, 2011 at 8:08 AM

What an insult!

tinkerthinker on May 31, 2011 at 8:08 AM

Is it 2012 yet?

backwoods conservative on May 31, 2011 at 8:09 AM

This empty suit is one of the worst president the United States of America has ever had.

Fixed it before anyone else had to.

DuctTapeMyBrain on May 31, 2011 at 8:09 AM

Obama desperately wants America to be just another country. But, her citizens and our Best and Brightest refuse to co-operate.

kingsjester on May 31, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Seems to be more “me, I, I” than anything about our past and present military. He certainly has the largest ego of any president I can remember.

carl567 on May 31, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Doesn’t he just say the CUTEST things?
Ya gotta love this kid.

TimBuk3 on May 31, 2011 at 8:11 AM

“It’s about you, but in typical fashion, it’s really about me.”

Marcus on May 31, 2011 at 8:13 AM

Exceptionalism, Who needs it?

Gwillie on May 31, 2011 at 8:14 AM

Makes me want to puke.

txag92 on May 31, 2011 at 8:14 AM

I don’t care what he says. Obama is awesome. /sarc

mechkiller_k on May 31, 2011 at 8:14 AM

“And it’s a day that has meaning for all Americans, including me.”

At last. Confirmation that President Obama is an American.

scatbug on May 31, 2011 at 8:17 AM

President Obama: One of the politicians in this country.

apostic on May 31, 2011 at 8:18 AM

1st time doing this since he took office and he still mucks it up

he was too darn antsy waiting to get out to the golf course (#70)…

cmsinaz on May 31, 2011 at 8:18 AM

Zuuuuu-luuuuuu!

BobMbx on May 31, 2011 at 8:18 AM

Good thing he’s got the overwhelming support of those troops, right?

apostic on May 31, 2011 at 8:22 AM

Disgraceful.

ladyingray on May 31, 2011 at 8:23 AM

OT – at the Memorial Day parade yesterday we had the privilege of having Debbie Stabenow (Sen. MI) and both Carl (Sen. MI) and Sander (HOR MI) Levin walking the route. I was surprised to hear the small amount of cheering for these Dems in an auto town (Sterling Hts.). Mostly from the recall GOP Rick Snyder (Gov. MI) petition people. The most and loudest went to the current and retired military people. As it should be.

If I judge the crowd correctly the Dems are going to have a tough time in MI next election cycle.

mechkiller_k on May 31, 2011 at 8:24 AM

nice change of pic there Ed…perfect actually

cmsinaz on May 31, 2011 at 8:25 AM

I don’t care what he says. Obama is awesome. /sarc

mechkiller_k on May 31, 2011 at 8:14 AM

Someone said that to me last Friday night while I was out drinking, only minus the sarc tag. Good thing I had a drink to distract me….

apostic on May 31, 2011 at 8:25 AM

apostic on May 31, 2011 at 8:25 AM

hope it was a double…yeesh!

cmsinaz on May 31, 2011 at 8:26 AM

Even after the Seals got bin Laden, when Obama and his core staff think of the U.S. military they think of the guys and gal who did Abu Ghirab before they think of them. When they were growing up during the Vietnam era, more than likely they were surrounded by adults who thought everyone in the military was William Calley, and passed that mindset along to the kids.

That’s why Obama & Co. stuck the qualifier into that sentence — they know they can’t voice their feelings on Memorial Day at Arlington National Cemetery, but they’d feel guilty offering up their wholehearted, jingoistic (in their minds) support for the military. The “one of” is the way to show their reservations about the military without openly saying it.

jon1979 on May 31, 2011 at 8:26 AM

Don’t sweat it, O. History won’t shortchange you when it comes to superlatives. You won’t be one of the worst POTUSes we’ve ever had.

You’ll be the phucking worst. And you’ll be the most un-American, too.

BuckeyeSam on May 31, 2011 at 8:27 AM

hope it was a double…yeesh!

cmsinaz on May 31, 2011 at 8:26 AM

It was — for the other guy. “He’s the hardest working president we’ve ever had!”

All I had to work with was a Miller Lite (’cause I was driving).

apostic on May 31, 2011 at 8:29 AM

Well he is one of the “Stupidest Presidents” the United States has ever known.

JimK on May 31, 2011 at 8:08 AM

Fixed

NoFanofLibs on May 31, 2011 at 8:29 AM

And after saying that it is all about “you” he has a sentence with me me me in it 3 times.

ProfessorMiao on May 31, 2011 at 8:30 AM

Maybe they should arrange a spoiled fruit and vegetable concession be opened each place he gives a boneheaded speech like this!

Anyone who didn’t see this as an intentional put-down of the military yesterday is blind!

pilamaye on May 31, 2011 at 8:31 AM

Maybe he was comparing today’s American military to all our military throughout our history? That’s the only explanation that isn’t bad (anything else is another stab at the heart of American Exceptionalism) but even if that’s what he meant, it’s still lame. Anyhoo, this is equally amateurish:

And it’s a day that has meaning for all Americans, including me.

Why did he have to add “including me”? Gee, it could be because he’s such a narcissist it’s always about him? Or is he just trying to remind us that he’s an American with a birth certificate?

Buy Danish on May 31, 2011 at 8:34 AM

PBHO was thinking of the Weather Underground, Black Panthers, Bader Meinhof, and the PLO when he was thinking of the world’s great fighting forces.

Bishop on May 31, 2011 at 8:44 AM

well, in his defense, didn’t that other great orator, Kanye West, state that “Imma let you finish but Beyonce’ had one of the greatest hits of all time….”? So, while it might appear to be a slight, it may actually be a high honor when compared to statements by fellas of similar intellectual acumen, if you will…./

ted c on May 31, 2011 at 8:46 AM

And where was Dear Reader on Memorial Day? If you guessed the golf course, you get a smiley on your test. He did drop by the Tomb of the Unknowns first.

GnuBreed on May 31, 2011 at 8:46 AM

And this man is the smartest President we have ever had in our entire history?

(That meme pretty much expired years ago.)

No explanation for this sort of thing, really, when you look at it in context of all the other missteps this President has made, from the return of the Churchill bust to yesterday’s rehearsed “tribute” to Our fallen, other than to admit that it is intentional…thus not an amateurism.

Can we get a new and better President one of these days? Doesn’t have to be the smartest President, either, just one who clearly and dearly loves this Nation.

coldwarrior on May 31, 2011 at 8:47 AM

GnuBreed on May 31, 2011 at 8:46 AM

When PBHO got to the tomb the first thing he said was “Hey, there’s no name on this one!’

Bishop on May 31, 2011 at 8:49 AM

As usual, when Obama wants to praise someone, he twists it around to be all about him.

RebeccaH on May 31, 2011 at 8:50 AM

Good for you apostic

cmsinaz on May 31, 2011 at 8:51 AM

ted c on May 31, 2011 at 8:46 AM

Thanks Ted, I needed that this morning!

Tim Zank on May 31, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Lololol bishop

cmsinaz on May 31, 2011 at 8:52 AM

this should boost his numbers among the military members.

darwin-t on May 31, 2011 at 8:55 AM

Bishop on May 31, 2011 at 8:49 AM

How do you do it?

ladyingray on May 31, 2011 at 8:56 AM

You guys don’t get it.

Obama is a BSG fan. Everybody knows the Cylons are the greatest fighting force the universe has ever seen.

fossten on May 31, 2011 at 9:03 AM

“I, I, me, me….”

And then he hit the links.

Thanks for nothing, chump.

Cody1991 on May 31, 2011 at 9:07 AM

kingsjester on May 31, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Well, we did elect him. That’s a big step on the way to becoming just another country.

itsnotaboutme on May 31, 2011 at 9:11 AM

I believe in American exceptionalism, just as I suspect that the Brits believe in British exceptionalism, and the Greeks believe in Greek exceptionalism…

Proving he has no idea what American exceptionalism is…

Fallon on May 31, 2011 at 9:11 AM

ted c on May 31, 2011 at 8:46 AM

Funny that. I was in Iraq at the time that KW said Bush hates Blacks; read about it, but never saw the video clip until a couple of weeks ago. It was certainly an awkward moment for co-host Mike Meyers. Seems that Chris Tucker was also off-pace by the spark of brilliance from KW.

AH_C on May 31, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Glad I read that here cuz I can’t listen to his speeches anymore. The ssss hiss is getting worse every time he opens his mouth. He reads well, with a lot of inflection but lacks the passion in his voice that he really means what he says.

Kissmygrits on May 31, 2011 at 9:17 AM

Barely a fifty word statement and he got in three me(s) of my(s) and half the statement was about him. Looks like everything really is about him.

Tommy_G on May 31, 2011 at 9:17 AM

And it’s a day that has meaning for all Americans, including me.

Guess he thought there was some doubt about that part. (Sheesh, does this guy ever talk about anything without referencing himself?)

obladioblada on May 31, 2011 at 9:20 AM

I wonder which other country he thinks is one of the best? Too bad we don’t have reporters that ask tough questions because I’d really like an answer to that.

scalleywag on May 31, 2011 at 9:33 AM

And it’s a day that has meaning for all Americans, including me.

GAAAAAAAAAAAA! ME ME ME!

scalleywag on May 31, 2011 at 9:34 AM

“A clever man commits no minor blunders,” -Goethe.

“…the USS Naval Academy,” -O’Booba.

Akzed on May 31, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Everything out of Obama’s mouth exposes his hatred of the United States. According to Obama and his ilk the US is never the best at anything. Disgusting.

Lizzy on May 31, 2011 at 9:45 AM

It’s like we elected some guy from Peru to be the President of the United States. He admires the country in a kinda sorta way…doesn’t particular like the place…thinks other places are just as good.

Jaibones on May 31, 2011 at 10:14 AM

And it’s a day that has meaning for all Americans, including me.

What the heck does that sentence mean? Does he have to remind us that he is an American?

Ed, please find tha video clip of Obama chawing away at chewing gum (Nicorette?) during the Joplin memorial. It is exhibit (I have lost track of the number) of this president’s absolute disdain for protocol.

onlineanalyst on May 31, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Maybe Obama was thinking of military history and ….Nah, he don’t know crap about history or much anything else and I won’t be an apologist for that loser….

Sherman1864 on May 31, 2011 at 10:49 AM

onlineanalyst on May 31, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Not just protocol but also common decency.

chemman on May 31, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Give Him a break! After all, many of us think that He is just one of the greatest leaders of all time.

After getting Bin Laden..who had a hole on his forehead while our Dear Leader had his fingers in a capital L.

Right on His forehead.

IlikedAUH2O on May 31, 2011 at 10:56 AM

The fact that this man is President is bad enough, its how to explain the morons who didn’t see it in ’08 and still don’t see it now, do they hate their country that much?

skanter on May 31, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Obama says I and ME when he talks in his sleep, the only time he does not use I and Me is when blaming someone else for a problem.

old war horse on May 31, 2011 at 11:08 AM

He really just can’t bear the idea of America being exceptional, can he?

Socialism cannot tolerate exceptionalism.

Pablo Snooze on May 31, 2011 at 11:08 AM

And it’s a day that has meaning for all Americans, including me.

Buy Danish on May 31, 2011 at 8:34 AM

BHO knows that lots of Americans don’t believe that Memorial Day or the sacrifices of the military have meaning for HIM, so he’s saying “How dare you (conservatives) question my patriotism, yes I do care about the military!”

And yes, it’s about him, not about those who died for our freedom.

Steve Z on May 31, 2011 at 11:10 AM

American military courage: What it takes to salute this man.

Freelancer on May 31, 2011 at 11:23 AM

2012 yet?

abcurtis on May 31, 2011 at 11:31 AM

The Professor in Chief must have poll numbers that back him up. Or maybe it’s factoring in the ID of the current Commander and Barry wasn’t in on it?

In his day, Napolean was the undisputed best. Attila the Hun had a decent run, too. And let’s not forget Ghengis Kahn!

The Roman Empire had quite a machine for centuries. Sadly, by the end they were not much of a force. Who knows, with 4 more years of this president, even France might be able to kick our butts?

EconomicNeocon on May 31, 2011 at 11:33 AM

My daughter is currently in ROTC, and heading out for a week in a few weeks, to go to SLS training.

Her plan is to graduate high school and enter the Air Force. Time will tell, but right now, she seems determined to make it her career. When I asked her why, she said…because I want to serve my country. I’m a really proud mom.

That being said….Obama saying our military is but one out of others as a great military is a true slap in the face. Right now….young men and women are serving, and dying, or facing possible damage to their persons in service to their country. And they all do it on a volunteer basis. Past, present and future…these people who do this great thing for us….and the doofus in the oval office can only describe them in comparison to other nations military? This man , and I use the term man loosely…does not deserve the title of President, and I will no longer refer to him as such.

capejasmine on May 31, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Maybe he means generationally speaking, as in “which iteration of the US military is the best ever?”

No? I didn’t think so, either.

disa on May 31, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Well, far from me to bad mouth the US military, but the Spartans had a pretty decent outfit themselves.

Of course, i doubt Mr. Obama was thinking about that.

madne0 on May 31, 2011 at 1:09 PM

…it is my most solemn responsibility as President, to serve as Commander-in-Chief of one of the finest fighting forces the world has ever known.

One of?

One of??????

STFU, O-Butthead.

GrannyDee on May 31, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Obama’s “one of the finest” was a huge insult to our military. Obama’s cadence when giving speeches drives me nuts. He speaks 6 or 7 words then pauses. It reminds me of how you have to wind up a kid’s toy to keep it going. Other presidents have been able to keep the speech flowing smoothly while using TOTUS, but not Obama.

Yesterday was golf game #70 for Obama since he took office. How many times have our military in Afghanistan or Iraq played golf since Obama became President? My guess is zero.

My heartfelt thanks to those who have served in our military, are serving or will serve. God Bless you all.

GrannySunni on May 31, 2011 at 2:54 PM