Audio: What Hollywood really thinks about conservatives

posted at 9:30 am on May 31, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

What does Hollywood really think of conservatives? Ben Shapiro talked to the movers and shakers in Hollywood to find out — and recounts his adventures in his new book, Primetime Propaganda: The True Hollywood Story of How the Left Took Over Your TV:

Primetime Propaganda is the story—told in their own words—of how television has been used over the past sixty years by Hollywood writers, producers, actors, and executives to promote their liberal ideals, to push the envelope on social and political issues, and to shape America in their own leftist image.

In this thoroughly researched and detailed history of the television industry, conservative columnist and author Ben Shapiro argues that left-leaning entertainment kingpins in Los Angeles and New York have leveraged—and continue to use—their positions and power to push liberal messages and promote the Democratic Party while actively discriminating against their opponents on the Right. According to Shapiro, television isn’t just about entertainment—it’s an attempt to convince Americans that the social, economic, and foreign policy shaped by leftism is morally righteous.

But don’t take his word for it. Shapiro interviewed more than one hundred of the industry’s biggest players, including Larry Gelbart (M*A*S*H), Fred Silverman (former president of ABC Entertainment, NBC, and vice president of programming at CBS), Marta Kauffman (Friends), David Shore (House), and Mark Burnett (Survivor). Many of these insiders boast that not only is Hollywood biased against conservatives, but that many of the shows being broadcast have secret political messages. With this groundbreaking exposé, readers will never watch television the same way again.

Shapiro has given Hot Air and Townhall readers an exclusive on a few audio clips of his interviews with television producers and power players in Hollywood. First, Hallmark Channel VP Barbara Fisher actually sounds pretty reasonable when talking with Shapiro. Fisher takes a dim view of activism on the job in any direction and espouses a live-and-let-live, focus-on-the-job approach that most conservatives would find fair and even welcoming. At the end, though, Fisher admits that activism from one side gets a much different reaction than the other, as Shapiro offers the hypothetical of an actor wearing a McCain T-shirt as opposed to an Obama shirt:

This next clip has less to do with corroborating discrimination than it does with attitudes towards Rush Limbaugh and conservatives in general. TV producer George Schlatter, who brought us the classic TV variety show Laugh-In, chortles with glee when calling Rush a “convicted junkie” and deriding his supposed position as “the head of the Republican Party,” a position I’m sure Rush never sought or claimed:

Townhall has an exclusive column from Shapiro today explaining the import of his book:

Hollywood matters.

It matters because we watch Hollywood product day in and day out. Your children spend six or seven hours at school, and couple of hours with their friends, and a couple of hours with you. They spend a full three hours with the television.

You get home from work, kick off your shoes, and plop down in front of the TV, hoping simply to chill out. Instead, you get unmitigated liberalism pouring out of your TV. But you continue to watch because it’s great. It’s fun, thrilling, dramatic, or hilarious. We think it has no impact on us.

But it does. Television made Barack Obama. Television it supported bigger and bigger government, from Welfare to health care; pushed abortion-on-demand and the radical gay agenda into the mainstream; it stumped against war and for meaningless buzzwords like diversity and dangerous buzzwords like multiculturalism. Television has done more to change the politics of our nation than simple politics has.

Television has manipulated us. And those who create television have done it purposefully, and elegantly. They have weeded out conservatives in the industry wholesale. They have worked hand-in-glove with liberals in government to forward the leftist agenda. They have turned pure entertainment into a vehicle for propaganda.

Shapiro will join me soon on The Ed Morrissey Show to discuss more in his book. If Hollywood thinks their political messages on shows like West Wing, M*A*S*H, Law and Order, and the like are “secret,” though, they need to get out more.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Talk about leftist propaganda, just watch some of the old Norman Lear sitcoms from the 70s. Back then I loved All In The Family. But as I got older, and found out about Norman Lear’s liberalism, I discovered Archie Bunker was a slap in the face to every conservative, and The Meathead was the real hero and rational one. I cant watch the reruns of that show anymore.

abcurtis on May 31, 2011 at 11:22 AM

I refuse to watch anything with Danny Glover or Alan Rickman in it.
Glover is a no-brainer. Rickman was the producer of ‘They call me Rachel’ the anti-Jew St. Pancake Rachel Corrie ‘tribute’.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 31, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Release your hate, Hollywood!

profitsbeard on May 31, 2011 at 11:22 AM

tflst5 on May 31, 2011 at 11:11 AM

In the MSM, welfare recipients are always looked on in the kindest way. They are downtrodden, unfortunate, uneducated. Just once I’d like to see an MSM expose’ of a welfare queen. Or an examination of crime stats, looking at how many shootings were by sons of single mothers on welfare. And then explain how we, via the govt, are responsible for these shootings, as we created the environment that supported single mothers raising neglected kids.

Paul-Cincy on May 31, 2011 at 11:23 AM

I haven’t watched television or gone to a movie in years. The last movie I saw in the theaters was either Jurassic Park (the original) or one of the Star Trek movies. Even with Lord of the Rings, I waited until all three films were out on DVD before watching them.

Most of the DVDs I have are either old films like Raiders of the Lost Ark and For a Fistful of Dollars, or documentary series like The Universe, Life After People, and shows about dinosaurs.

Other than that, if I want fiction, I read a book. I’m currently making my way through the first volume of a new three-volume (~2600 page) Penguin Classics modern-English translation of the Arabian Nights (which is literally divided up into 1001 chapters, each labeled Night 1, Night 2, etc.).

Aitch748 on May 31, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Good thing I don’t watch much tv anymore…and when I did…I watched shows like Mash, and Friends. But I scoffed at any messages they wrought. My mind isn’t weak. Just scattered. lol

capejasmine on May 31, 2011 at 11:31 AM

I’m shocked, shocked, to find that there are leftist scumbags pimping their professions for their politics in Hollywood.

Oh, wait.

novaculus on May 31, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Avatar is a great example. I wanted to see the awesome 3-d, so I went, but I knew what I was getting story-wise. By the time the movie ended, I had decided that they had ripped off Medicine Man. They were missing only Sean Connery and Lorraine Bracco.

Freelancer on May 31, 2011 at 11:36 AM

it’s hard to feel too badly for Heaton.

Doughboy on May 31, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Yeah, especially since “coming out,” like Angie Harmon, as one of those Hollywood conservatives who’s completely on board with the same sex marriage agenda. That’s her right, but it’s not exactly the kind of rock-ribbed, fire-breathing conservatism for which she’s often credited.

Curiously enough, the Left still loathes her in spite of her embrace of one of their most sacred cows.

Kensington on May 31, 2011 at 11:37 AM

You mean all crimes are not committed by White Christian Males?

PattyJ on May 31, 2011 at 11:38 AM

This is totally shocking and I’m glad somebody is hawking a book pointing it out. Nobody knew this.

Good Lt on May 31, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Yeah. How awful that someone has taken the time to document the reality with facts, quotes and figures, in a format that’s likely to last for a long time.

Let’s all crap on it for some reason!

Kensington on May 31, 2011 at 11:40 AM

I loved how “Friends” gave Jennifer Aniston’s character a child out of wedlock and then more or less ignored both the baby and its implications for the final years of the show, as if they just had to put that out there even though they knew it would be incompatible with the kind of show they were producing.

Kensington on May 31, 2011 at 11:45 AM

I can’t watch Law & Order anymore. Used to be the villain was a mix of people. Now it’s 100%, middle aged, middle class white guy. And if the criminal is someone else, they did it because they were oppressed in some way by the middle aged, middle class white guy.

angryed on May 31, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Add me to those who never watched “Dances with Smurfs.”

NCIS I stopped watching after the 2009/2010 season, The ‘innocent but misunderstood arabs’ cliche was bad enough, but then they started the ‘American Soldiers framing the innocent but misunderstood Arabs and wanting to escalate the war on terror’ crap and I tuned in out. Not even David McCallum’s performance or the lovely Cote de Pablo and Pauley Perette (sp?) could save that.

The_Livewire on May 31, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Calling Rush Limbaugh a Conservative is like calling Brad Pitt a politician.

Observation on May 31, 2011 at 11:51 AM

All in the Family was a slap at working people in general, not just conservatives. The only guy who had a job was a ignorant bigot. Everyone else in the show was a paragon of virtue.

Fred 2 on May 31, 2011 at 11:52 AM

abcurtis on May 31, 2011 at 11:22 AM

From what I’ve read Archie was supposed to be the foil for Meathead. But the audience reaction was the opposite of what Lear expected. But it made money so he kept going with it.

angryed on May 31, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Meh. A lot of has-beens.

John the Libertarian on May 31, 2011 at 11:53 AM

The_Livewire on May 31, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Pauley Perette is an UBER-lefty. It could be that she has some say in what’s put in the story line.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 31, 2011 at 11:53 AM

“If Hollywood thinks their political messages on shows like West Wing, M*A*S*H, Law and Order, and the like are ‘secret…’”

Common left- and right-wing trope.

Dr. Mercury on May 31, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Kensington on May 31, 2011 at 11:45 AM

In fairness to that, pretty much all sitcoms do this with a new baby. Either we never see the baby again, or if we do the next season it’s 5 years old like in Family Ties.

I never saw Friends as political. Lesbian couple? Meh. It’s New York City. Even the Ross/Rachel baby was ho hum for me. If anything it was conservative-ish in that the dad stuck around and was involved in the baby’s life.

What was funny about Friends is that the show took place in Manhattan yet none of the characters ever met a black person. If you didn’t know the setting you’d swear the show took place in Nebraska.

angryed on May 31, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Fred 2 on May 31, 2011 at 11:52 AM

To be fair to Norman Lear, he allowed Archie Bunker to have more nuance than most liberals allow their conservative characters today.

The truth is that Archie Bunker was usually shown to be a decent man in spite of his bigotries and Meathead was often shown to be a bigmouthed leech with little understanding of how the world worked outside of a college campus.

It might be a better show than some of you remember.

Or I could be giving it more praise than it deserves.

Kensington on May 31, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Hollywood can ruin otherwise great shows with their agenda. I just finished streaming two seasons of Justified, a good show…until…halfway through the second season coal mining entered the plot…evil evil evil.

chewydog on May 31, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Kensington on May 31, 2011 at 11:58 AM

I think you’re right. I was too young to watch that show when it came out initially. I watched some reruns, maybe in the late 80s, early 90s before I cared about politics or bias. I remember by thought was Archie’s an OK dude, just not ready to deal with the changing world around him. But man that Meathead is a an annoying little f**k.

angryed on May 31, 2011 at 12:02 PM

BINGO.. Me neither. Funny also, most of the actors say they don’t let their kids watch TV.. I remember Madonna saying it, so they will foist that crap on our kids, but won’t let their kids watch it.

reshas1 on May 31, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Kind of like denying school vouchers while sending one’s kids to private school.

I will say this though, it is a parent’s responsibility to monitor and control what their kids see on TV. I was fortunate to be home with mine and able to know what they were watching and counteract with common sense what they were seeing and hearing.

Jvette on May 31, 2011 at 12:02 PM

I’ve been ranting about this problem a long time. Glad I’m not the only one who sees it.

Does the book discuss solutions or only define the problem?

Obviously we need a counterbalance to the steady stream of socialist propaganda we are bombarded by every day.

dogsoldier on May 31, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Well for those of you who did see Avatar and were completely disgusted by it, like me, here is the ultimate spoof that will bring tears to your eyes:

moc23 on May 31, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Yeah, but the out-of-wedlock baby is much less common. The “Family Ties” baby, for instance, wasn’t illegitimate. Nor was the “Mad About You” baby.

angryed on May 31, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Except that one of the show’s creators is quoted in this book for being explicitly political. You may not have seen the show as political, but they sure did.

And while it was nice that the dad “stuck around” on Friends, the show always took great pains to state plainly that he wasn’t all that important. He was indulged as a father sometimes but almost never respected or given much say in how his children were raised. In the Friends world, the lesbian couple could do just fine without him. He was the sitcom version of the “stupid dad” archetype that occupies so many commercials.

Kensington on May 31, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Kensington on May 31, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Yeah, it’s stupid when they work in a baby on these shows. The kid usually gets ignored eventually like in Murphy Brown. At least on Angel they were able to get away with it since it was a fantasy show and they could literally age the baby 17 years in a matter of days.

Doughboy on May 31, 2011 at 12:06 PM

One more here who never saw dances with smurfs.

And another who stopped watching Law and Order. I think what really made me stop was how they would take a “ripped from the headlines” story, like the case where an illegal immigrant killed the college kids in NY, and run the story, but change the bad guy to a more PC one. Cant have reality intruding upon their utopia where all illegals are poor oppressed people who only come here to work.

This is also what has always made me laugh at 24. People are always trying to nuke the USA, but it always manages to be a bunch of white supremacists who want to save the country by blowing it up. That show also pushed a black president right before Teh One and a female president.

Liberals put on TV what they want to see from culture and eventually, they get it. This is why so-called conservatives should not abandon the social side of conservatism.

Free Indeed on May 31, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Doughboy on May 31, 2011 at 12:06 PM

At least on Angel it was shown that babies require sacrifice and change (in that case, literally, as the baby’s mother stakes herself to eternal damnation in order to allow the baby’s birth) and that ultimately they do best within a traditional mother-father household.

Angel, ironically, treated out-of-wedlock birth with more sensitivity, maturity and realism than either Friends or Murphy Brown.

Kensington on May 31, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Kensington on May 31, 2011 at 12:04 PM

I saw it as as Ross being a wimp who wouldn’t stand up to either Rachel or his ex.

It’s been a while since that show was on, maybe I’m not remembering things clearly. I just never saw it as overtly political since it was true to life…at least the social aspects of the show (definitely not the financial aspects where an unemployed actor lives in a $3000 a month apartment and eats out every meal).

In NY a lesbian couple raising a baby is not earth shattering. Nor is a high income single mom who has outsources the raising of her baby to nannies/caregivers. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong, just that it’s there.

angryed on May 31, 2011 at 12:19 PM

This is why the original Law and Order is puke. Give me Blue Bloods any day for a cop show – at least they manage to represent every kind of viewpoint on an issue. Not to mention, Selleck is from what I hear a fairly open libertarian.

Ryan Anthony on May 31, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Archie Bunker was a curious case. He was clearly meant to be the guy who gives conservatives a bad name just by existing, and he was clearly bigoted in some areas, probably for that very reason.

But the public loved him!

I think what we really saw was the first blowback against political correctness, long before it was expressed as a concept. People resented the heavy-handed, you-must-believe-this-way-or-you’re-scum message of so many of elitists. And they reacted against it by loving the one they were supposed to despise in “All in the Family,” even though there was a lot about him that was not authentic for conservatives, like treating his wife like an idiot.

I wonder sometimes if Archie Bunker’s popularity gave Norman Lear heartburn. I guess we’ll never know.

tom on May 31, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Haven’t seen ‘Avatar’ or ‘Dances with Smurfs.’ But I must have missed the ‘Law and Order’ Jump-The-Shark episode. Surely there was one.

I still watch Law and Order occasionally and anxiously await the liberal message – Patriot act is wrong, 9/11 was deserved, doctors make too much money; to name a few.

TimBuk3 on May 31, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Loved M*A*S*H as a kid but had to quit watching it as an adult when I realized that EVERY EPISODE is a morality play with the peacenick, liberal Hawkeye as the always victorious, always right god.

29Victor on May 31, 2011 at 12:38 PM

I try not to watch the tube, pisses me off by either being hundreds of channels of garbage or liberal agenda

don’t even have a tv and don’t miss it

iPhone handles lots of stuff

Sonosam on May 31, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Fred 2 on May 31, 2011 at 11:52 AM
It might be a better show than some of you remember.
Or I could be giving it more praise than it deserves.
Kensington on May 31, 2011 at 11:58 AM

that’s how I remember Archie, a faulted but decent man

plenty of shows have him sympathetic to others

the crossdresser being killed comes to mind

Sonosam on May 31, 2011 at 12:42 PM

The problem was that no one watched the show when it was always “Minority crook kills white person”, so Dick Wolf tweaked the formula to give the crooks a race-lift.

teke184 on May 31, 2011 at 12:46 PM

People always talk about movies and are shocked when I admit I haven’t seen this one or that one.

I can’t put aside my personal dislike and disdain for the current crop of stars and will not give them one dime of my money.

Jvette on May 31, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Same here!

tinkerthinker on May 31, 2011 at 12:58 PM

I used to watch ‘House’. Left-wing messages have never changed my mind about anything.
After one particular episode with House in the bathroom stall and a ‘Change ’08′ bumper sticker pasted up, that was the end.

And certain people laugh at me for watching Rockford Files reruns.

Lanceman on May 31, 2011 at 1:22 PM

I was watching an episode of Ace of Cakes the other day and I noticed that the receptionist girl (I don’t know anybody’s name on the show) was wearing a vintage Reagan-Bush ’80 tshirt. I couldn’t believe my eyes – I rewound and paused the TV to make sure I wasn’t seeing things and to figure what the angle was – she had to making fun of them right?? As far as I can tell, she wasn’t.

Now that’s a rare sight on TV.

CityFish on May 31, 2011 at 1:33 PM

With all due respect to Mr. Shapiro, this is news?!

SukieTawdry on May 31, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Pardon us if we don’t take moral lectures from the crowd who touts child rapist Roman Polanski as a visionary or cop killer Mumia Abu Jamal as a hero.

Good Lt on May 31, 2011 at 10:05 AM
Very well said! And I also did not see Avator for the same reasons.

Amjean on May 31, 2011 at 2:06 PM

The bigger question is “What do Conservatives think of Hollywood?”

It gets more difficult with time to even find good choices on Netflix. The Liberal bias is always there.

We hardly go to one movie a year. Our family has started reading more and more or participating in hobbies. Hollywood is a wasteland to us.

BetseyRoss on May 31, 2011 at 9:40 AM
Go see Soul Surfer! It is a delightful movie with a great
message.

Amjean on May 31, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Whoah. You mean that people who sincerely believe that their ideas and world views are sound and good will use media they work in to promote those ideas? How shocking that they would promote what they conceive of as “the good life” like that.

I suppose it’s possible that people might have even done that with books. And speeches too! Maybe Cicero had goals in his rhetoric two-thousand years ago. Surely it can’t be that people are seemingly shocked and outraged entirely afresh about something that has been happening since the beginning of communication.

dieudonne on May 31, 2011 at 2:18 PM

I don’t have much guilt in my life, but I do feel bad that I really like 30 Rock, knowing full well that its writers and stars hate me & everything I stand for. Same for the Bourne trilogy — awesome movies, but Damon would probably shoot conservatives for fun, if it was legal.

KS Rex on May 31, 2011 at 2:45 PM

moc23 on May 31, 2011 at 12:03 PM

I hate to admit I saw Avatar but sometimes you do stupid/boring things for a hot chick. And yes I saw Titanic as well. Hey…at least I’m predictable!

That spoof was AWESOME!!!! I laughed a lot. Save the 3 hours and just read the spoof. It’s way better.

VikingGoneWild on May 31, 2011 at 3:11 PM

And on the 8th day God created Football. And man saw that it was good and much better than “That 70′s Show” or “The Good Wife” and man could be entertained and cheer for his favorite team and burn some of the unneeded calories ingested from the pre-game tailgate and it was good.

Go Canes!

JP1986UM on May 31, 2011 at 3:41 PM

I guess this explains why the only show I care to watch anymore is NCIS.

flataffect on May 31, 2011 at 4:25 PM

So this stupid looking old man is going to laugh and say Rush Limbaugh is unfit to be the head of the GOP (which he isn’t), because he got addicted to pain killers, because of the bad shape he was in? He’s immoral for trying to flee from pain and getting addicted, like many people do, in the quest to be free of pain? Well, I guess Rush being a “convicted” junkie is better than Obama, who is an unindicted junkie. Rush was into pain killers, while the Dalai Obama, an America-hating, freedom-hating communist scumbag, got strung out on recreational drugs, just because the slimebag wanted to get HIGH. Yeah, Rush Limbaugh’s a bad guy for trying to stop the pain, while the Dalai Obama’s the Second Coming, because he wanted to escape reality smoking weed and snorting coke (and who knows what else this proven liar did). Yeah, and isn’t Obama still hooked on nicotine and drinking like a fish in the White House, so a doctor has to beg him to stop? His liver must look like a marble abstract art sculpture. Oh, and on Rush’s morality, let’s not forget who the ‘conscience of the Senate’ was, under liberal rule: a member of the KU KLUX KLAN.

F-CK you, Schlatter. The only people that thought your stupid show was funny were the cokeheads and weedheads like Obama, who would laugh at his feet being cut off with a chainsaw, while he was singing “Puff the Magic Dragon” and sucking on an opium pipe.

Virus-X on May 31, 2011 at 4:36 PM

It might be a better show than some of you remember.

Or I could be giving it more praise than it deserves.

Kensington on May 31, 2011 at 11:58 AM

It’s actually held up fairly well in my opinion. Sure there were some episodes where Lear went too far, but they were balanced by plenty of other episodes that were brilliant.

Here’s an example, when Archie finds out his homeowner’s insurance is canceled, and at the same time he has to decide who in his loading dock to fire. Trivia for this episode: Archie’s insurance man (also Edith’s “dopey nephew”) is played by Phil Proctor of the legendary 1960s comedy group Firesign Theatre.

Del Dolemonte on May 31, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Freelancer on May 31, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Nah, it’s Dances with Wolves, only with aliens.

I haven’t watched TV in years and for years before that, I only watched Star Trek Voyager. The rest of my family does, but mainly watches the Fox pundit shows, The Military Channel, or police reality shows or shows like 1000 Ways to Die. My daughter watches What Not to Wear (great!) and Project Runway (gag!).

We don’t go to the movies much either, no time and it’s too expensive, I’d rather just buy a DVD for $15. We just watched Mao’s Last Dancer, it was excellent and quite clear about what Communism does to families. We have The King’s Speech up next. The next movie out will probably be the new X-Men movie.

My grandfather, a doctor during WWII, hated MASH, he said it was completely unrealistic. I find any TV I watched when I was younger completely stupid now. Still a Trekkie though :)

Common Sense on May 31, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Will Ben be donating money from this book to Senator Al Franken like he gave to candidate Al Franken?

RJL on May 31, 2011 at 7:30 PM

It might be a better show than some of you remember.

Or I could be giving it more praise than it deserves.

Kensington on May 31, 2011 at 11:58 AM

I agree with you.

I just watched All in the Family the other day after not seeing it in years. It was still good. Brought back memories. Collect calls. No cell phones. lol

First time I ever heard of Ronald Reagan was when Archie Bunker said, “and you’re gonna get Reagan in 1980.” He pronounced it Reegan. I was a teenager.

Archie was right! lol

Elisa on June 1, 2011 at 12:16 AM

Ryan Anthony on May 31, 2011 at 12:27 PM

I LOVE Blue Bloods. I’m so glad they renewed it for next year. And I always loved Selleck.

Elisa on June 1, 2011 at 12:18 AM

angryed on May 31, 2011 at 11:57 AM

As a very loyal fan of this show (I have the entire series on DVD) I have to object to this statement. Gabrielle Union and Aisha Tyler were both on the show as love interests for both Ross and Joey. Phoebe was chatted up by a black guy in a bar during the final season. Chandler’s boss when he was sent to Tulsa was a black woman and when he was working as an advertising intern his boss was a black guy. These are just the ones right off of the top of my head that dispel the myth of no diversity on the show. There are many more but I think you get the point. Or at least I hope you do.

rmel80 on June 1, 2011 at 12:43 AM

1976 and I was 17 yrs old. wow

Here is the clip at the 9:20 minute mark. “and you’re gonna get Reagan in 1980, wise guy!”

If you go to the 4:20 minute mark you get this part that I forgot:

Mike: Talking to a man that in the last election didn’t like Ford . ..

Archie: That’s right

Mike: . . .Didn’t like Carter . . .

Archie: Right.

Mike: . . . so he wrote in Richard Nixon.

Then Edith asks: Archie, did you really write in Richard Nixon?

Archie: I just tell him that to make him nuts. You wanna know the truth? I wrote in Reagan.

Elisa on June 1, 2011 at 12:57 AM

Does he realize Obama admitted to doing illegal drugs in college?

scotash on June 1, 2011 at 5:35 PM

So where does “The Mentalist” fit in all this. I can’t believe that Jane got his sweet revenge while we were allowed to gleefully cheer him on with no preachy consequences for him or us. I guess next season will be endless episodes of guilt ridden self destruction ala “House”. Ever notice how in real life the truly evil criminals always end up “perp walking” in Kevlar complete with a bullet proof cod piece – into court, but on Law and Order they always end up neatly shot dead instead.

Pole-Cat on June 1, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Elisa on June 1, 2011 at 12:16 AM

Socks first? Or sock & shoe, then sock & shoe?

Connie on June 1, 2011 at 11:44 PM

The bigger question is “What do Conservatives think of Hollywood?”

BetseyRoss on May 31, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Kind of like the bigger question is what does America think of other countries? The survey that is never taken.

Connie on June 1, 2011 at 11:46 PM

Elisa on June 1, 2011 at 12:16 AM
Socks first? Or sock & shoe, then sock & shoe?

Connie on June 1, 2011 at 11:44 PM

LOL I remember that. Supposed there’s a fire in the house . . .

Elisa on June 2, 2011 at 1:32 AM

Predator..:)

PS..Didn’t figure no one would mind us using this thread!..:)

Dire Straits on June 2, 2011 at 10:54 PM

Good idea, Dire. I’m getting what I saved now.
One moment.

predator on June 2, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Animal Kingdom?..:)

Dire Straits on June 2, 2011 at 10:58 PM

For the first time in history, the top seven finishers in the Kentucky Derby may run in the Belmont Stakes:

Animal Kingdom (1st) will ship to Belmont this weekend; gallop on Sunday and breeze four furlongs Monday.

Nehro (2nd) will go if all remains well with him.

Mucho Macho Man (3rd) is now likely. Ramon Dominguez will have the ride.

Shackleford (4th) will work on Saturday, and that work will determine if he runs or not.

Master of Hounds (5th)—will ship back from Europe around the 7th and should clear quarantine on the 9th

Santiva (6th) had a decent work recently and is likely.

Brilliant Speed (7th) is very likely to run.

A jockey has been named for Stay Thirsty(12th) so he appears to be a go.

Monzon worked out the other day, and is now listed as probable.

Isn’t He Perfect is now listed as probable.

Ruler On Ice is also now listed as probable.

Prime Cut is out. He will run in the Matt Winn at Churchill on the 18th.

Wilkinson has been entered in the Ohio Derby.

No word yet on Harlan’s Hello.

Baffert was considering Awesome Patriot but said the other day that he will not be running.

Donnie Von Hemel announced the other day that Alternation will be given a rest and pointed towards the mid-summer classics at Saratoga.

predator on June 2, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Dire,
On my way.

predator on June 2, 2011 at 10:54 PM

You guys playing cards???

Gohawgs on June 2, 2011 at 11:02 PM

predator on June 2, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Surely Shackleford win run?..:)

Doc’slike Nehro as a good bet to make some money off since Doc thinks he will be bet down?..:)

Dire Straits on June 2, 2011 at 11:02 PM

You guys playing cards???

Gohawgs on June 2, 2011 at 11:02 PM

LOL!..Doing a little Horse racing..:)

Dire Straits on June 2, 2011 at 11:03 PM

predator Dire Straits

What are you two up to?

Cindy Munford on June 2, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Surely Shackleford win run?..:)

Dire Straits on June 2, 2011 at 11:02 PM

Very likely. Dale Romans says he’s doing great. The only way I can see that he wouldn’t is if he works terrible over the Belmont track. It has a very high sand content, which makes it a bit cuppy. Some horses don’t like that feel under their feet.

predator on June 2, 2011 at 11:06 PM

What are you two up to?

Cindy Munford on June 2, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Talking a little Horse Racing..:)

PS..QOTD is not a good place with a Palin/Romney thread..:)

Dire Straits on June 2, 2011 at 11:07 PM

What are you two up to?

Cindy Munford on June 2, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Talkin’ about the Belmont Stakes on June 11th.
Didn’t want to dance around the QOTD to do it.

predator on June 2, 2011 at 11:07 PM

predator on June 2, 2011 at 11:06 PM

Brilliant Speed intrigues me as a long shot!..:)

Brilliant Speed – It’s perhaps ironic given his name that this isn’t particularly a fast horse, but rather one with a lot of staying power. His sire, Dynaformer, produces impressive stamina horses that can run all day — like Barbaro — and his granddam is a full sister to 1997 Belmont winner Touch The Gold, so he has family credibility. He’s still primarily been at his best on synthetics and turf, but a decent seventh-place finish in the Derby which included a nice five-wide move around the final turn showed us that he is capable of handling the surface at least somewhat effectively.

Sounds like a good pedigree for length of Belmont..:)

Dire Straits on June 2, 2011 at 11:09 PM

predator on June 2, 2011 at 11:06 PM

Right now.. It would be dicey to pick a winner..But I give Animal Kingdom the nod..:)

Dire Straits on June 2, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Not sure yet who I like. Gotta think about it and wait for official race history (past performances) to come out next week. Don’t know if 1 1/2 miles is Nehro’s best distance, but I’ll reserve judgment for a while.

I do like AK at the distance, and both Master of Hounds and Brilliant Speed are bred to go long. And although they were 5th and 7th, respectively, in the Derby, both were running very well at the end. Hmmmm.

predator on June 2, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Dire Straits on June 2, 2011 at 11:07 PM predator on June 2, 2011 at 11:07 PM

LOL! I’ve been getting help with a computer virus from help folks on another thread. As for horse racing, I haven’t recovered from the losses of Secretariat and Ruffian yet. Pick the right one.

Cindy Munford on June 2, 2011 at 11:14 PM

predator on June 2, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Good points..Something tells me it is going to be a hard one to pick..:)

PS..Exciting for a fan but hard as a bettor!..:)

Dire Straits on June 2, 2011 at 11:14 PM

Yeah, I agree with your call on Brilliant Speed. He showed in the KD that he can at least run on dirt, a big ? prior to that race. So did MoH. I had doubts about both going in to the KD, but if they take hold of the Belmont surface they could be players.

Another question: Will Shackleford be the lone speed and set a controlled pace? In spite of the distance, the Belmont has been won on the lead in the past. More hmmmmmm.

predator on June 2, 2011 at 11:15 PM

Cindy Munford on June 2, 2011 at 11:14 PM

Yes those where tough losses..I love a lot of sports but Horse Racing is the Best 2 minutes of all of sports..IMHO!..:)

Dire Straits on June 2, 2011 at 11:16 PM

Cindy Munford on June 2, 2011 at 11:14 PM

Cindy, I won with Animal Kingdom in the Derby at 20-1. In the Preakness, he was second by a half-length. If he finishes first in that race, I collect about $3000. :(

predator on June 2, 2011 at 11:17 PM

Dire Straits on June 2, 2011 at 11:16 PM

Do you get many chances to go live? If so, where at? I make Arlington, Keeneland, and Churchill every year just about. I’ve been to Santa Anita once, and I go to Saratoga every three years or so.

predator on June 2, 2011 at 11:19 PM

predator on June 2, 2011 at 11:15 PM

From what I have seen Shackleford nneds to set the pace..Here is Doc’s early call on him..

Shackleford – You can’t rule out a Triple Crown race winner in any other Triple Crown race, but I am far less optimistic about Shackleford than Animal Kingdom. I’m not sure he’ll get the help with the pace that set him up so well in the Preakness, and he looked like a horse that was quite happy to see the finish line…:)

Dire Straits on June 2, 2011 at 11:19 PM

predator on June 2, 2011 at 11:19 PM

No I don’t get to go live..That is cool that you do!..:)

PS..Tried to put together a road trip for the Kentucky Derby but being there was no rooms within a 100 mile radius we give up trying..:)

Dire Straits on June 2, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Dire Straits on June 2, 2011 at 11:19 PM

Doc makes a good point, but Shackleford did contest an early pace that included a 22 3/5 first quarter. They slowed it down from that point on. Yeah Shack was glad to see the wire, but if he is the lone speed and will set fractions of, say, 25+ and 51, he could still be around at the end.

I don’t know anything about the running styles of Monzon, Ruler on Ice, or Isn’t He Perfect. I don’t think any of the others who have already ran in one of the TC races will contest the pace with him.

predator on June 2, 2011 at 11:26 PM

predator on June 2, 2011 at 11:19 PM

Just wanted to add that tc race is on my bucket list!..:)

Dire Straits on June 2, 2011 at 11:26 PM

predator on June 2, 2011 at 11:26 PM

I have a feeling Shackleford will definitely be around at te end for sure..:)

Dire Straits on June 2, 2011 at 11:27 PM

Dire Straits on June 2, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Yeah, rooms are tough on Derby Day. When I go down there, I stay at a Hampton’s in Scottsburg, IN. It’s 30 miles north of the state line and I’ve never had a problem. I stayed there last year for the Breeders’ Cup.

I’ve got tickets for the BC again this year. It’s at Churchill again. I’m waiting for some friends from Connecticut to decide if they can make it (it’s November 4th and 5th this year). If they can’t go, think about it. I’ve got three ticks, so I’ll have two that need users.

predator on June 2, 2011 at 11:29 PM

predator on June 2, 2011 at 11:26 PM

I guess we can go back to the QOTD and join the food fight..:)..I enjoy talking to somone that knows Horse Racing..I have a lot to learn..Thanks for your horse wisdom and we will do it again before the Belmont..:)

Dire Straits on June 2, 2011 at 11:30 PM

predator on June 2, 2011 at 11:29 PM

That is cool..I watch the Breeders Cup also!..:)

PS..When we tried to go to Kentucky Derby it was early 90′s (before kids and still liked Road tripping)..Now I don’t know if I could get the Wife fired up!..:)

Dire Straits on June 2, 2011 at 11:34 PM

predator on June 2, 2011 at 11:29 PM

Something tell’s me those friends are going to show..It will be hard to turn that down!..:)

Dire Straits on June 2, 2011 at 11:36 PM

See ya there. If ya want throw my addy in your email.

tparty13…it’s a gmail

predator on June 2, 2011 at 11:36 PM

Dire Straits on June 2, 2011 at 11:36 PM

They passed last year. They go alot since they live halfway between Saratoga and Belmont/Aqueduct. They opted for Santa Barbara for vacation last year. Ya never know.

predator on June 2, 2011 at 11:38 PM