Quotes of the day

posted at 8:30 pm on May 30, 2011 by Allahpundit

“‘I’m sure at some point I will be going to Iowa,’ Palin said during a visit to Fort McHenry in Baltimore. ‘At some point.’…

“Palin and her family were mobbed by television cameras after her arrival at Fort McHenry, the fort that famously defended Baltimore from a British assault during the War of 1812. The battle served as the inspiration for the national anthem, Francis Scott Key’s ‘Star Spangled Banner.’…

“While she declared herself ‘satisfied” with the Republicans who are already in the process of campaigning, she said the field ‘is going to change up a lot.’”

***
“Palin gets mad when the ‘media’ cover bloopers she makes, like her coinage of the word ‘refudiate.’ The press–as distinct from the partisan media–-incorporates these errors into its lack-of-readiness narrative. Palin does not make a distinction between a political press corps that thinks she’s not ready and a tribal belief among some Democrats that she is not smart. She does not distinguish TMZ from PBS. In her world, Bill Maher is Katie Couric. The New York Times is Daily Kos. Palin seems to genuinely believe that the press is unremittingly hostile to her. She believes that her children have been subject to humiliation and harassment.

“Palin says that the people who cover politics for a living have a negative disposition toward her because of her faith. Plenty of evangelical candidates are given a fair shake by the press. Mike Huckabee’s candidacy was boosted because the press corps actively liked him. Tim Pawlenty holds nearly every position ascribed to Sarah Palin and is not mistreated by the press, nor is he ridiculed for his beliefs. And the media that allegedly mistreats Palin somehow remains obsessed with anything she does. Every utterance is a national news story; every tweet triggers news cycles full of analysis. Palin has redefined what it means to get ‘free media.’

“On the campaign trail, she can be incredibly compelling. She forges an emotional bond with her audience, the type of bond that Mitt Romney has not managed to achieve. But until Palin figures out how to cross the plausibility threshold among the press and the Republican elites, she will remain at a disadvantage.”

***
“Is she giving a press conference today? or giving another interview? I don’t think so. She can’t – or at least as far as I know she can’t. She works for Fox, and just as with any employee or someone on contract with another network, she is contractually obliged NOT to speak to others. For instance, when I was in Haiti, I could not interview CNN’s Dr. Sanjay Gupta or when I want to talk politics, I can’t interview CNN’s Donna Brazile. They work for another network. As far as I know, her contract is like every other media contract and that means it would be a breach of contract to speak to other media outlets. ** I have not seen her contract but assume it is the routine media contract. She is in an unusual situation in that we in the media have made her into a media topic by virtue of us always talking about her. She, of course, contributes to that intense interest by painting a bus and taking a tour and taking a tour to historic sites.

Where is her bus tour going ? You got me. My producer who talked to someone who works with her in order to set up the interview told me last night that he would not tell her. We were told to check their website for any information they are releasing. He said they don’t want the media following them and that includes us. Well…with the intense interest in her by everyone (almost everyone) in the media, that is, I suspect, going to happen. The media will probably be in hot pursuit.”

***
Via the Daily Beast.

***

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

katy the mean old lady on May 31, 2011 at 2:37 AM

I look just like Molly Ringwald except that I haven’t had ‘work’ done and Molly isn’t a charter member of the IBTC.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 31, 2011 at 2:43 AM

Thanks..I didn’t know T-Paw was my choice?..:)

Dire Straits on May 31, 2011 at 2:42 AM

My bad. But who is your choice? Because all you do is troll around threads of a candidate you don’t support. ::

promachus on May 31, 2011 at 2:43 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 31, 2011 at 2:40 AM

Interesting post!..:)

Dire Straits on May 31, 2011 at 2:45 AM

promachus on May 31, 2011 at 2:43 AM

He’s been commenting at HA longer than you have.
Pinky/Brain 2012

annoyinglittletwerp on May 31, 2011 at 2:46 AM

promachus on May 31, 2011 at 2:43 AM

Really?..That is all I do is troll Palin posts?..:)..Are you sure?..Maybe I just signed up for Hot Air?..Go back and check and then get back with me!..:)

Dire Straits on May 31, 2011 at 2:48 AM

Dire Straits on May 31, 2011 at 2:45 AM
hey dire you been around here as long as I have, right

djohn669 on May 31, 2011 at 2:48 AM

Dire: How about THESE possibilities:
Zombie Dahmer/Zombie Bundy 2012
Bugs/Daffy 2012
Kukla/franollie 2012
Yakko/WackoDot 2012
Gibbs/McGee 2012…

annoyinglittletwerp on May 31, 2011 at 2:49 AM

Dire Straits on May 31, 2011 at 2:45 AM
hey dire you been around here as long as I have, right

djohn669 on May 31, 2011 at 2:48 AM

I’ve been here longer than BOTH of you. Neener.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 31, 2011 at 2:50 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 31, 2011 at 2:46 AM

Don’t think so. I have been commenting here from the very first time registration opened.

promachus on May 31, 2011 at 2:52 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 31, 2011 at 2:50 AM
was here when hotair open first registration, got in then promptly forgot password :), took awhile to get back in cause forgot password link was messed up.

djohn669 on May 31, 2011 at 2:52 AM

Dire Straits on May 31, 2011 at 2:48 AM

But then who’s your candidate? You didn’t answer that.

promachus on May 31, 2011 at 2:54 AM

promachus on May 31, 2011 at 2:54 AM

Don’t have one yet!..:)

PS..I’m amazed that there are so many that are backing someone that is not running yet either?..:)

Dire Straits on May 31, 2011 at 2:59 AM

djohn669 on May 31, 2011 at 2:52 AM

I’ve been here since second ‘open’. My first comment was on the 6month anniversary thread in October of 2006.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 31, 2011 at 3:00 AM

Gibbs/McGee 2012…

annoyinglittletwerp on May 31, 2011 at 2:49 AM

That’d be a great ticket with Ziva as Secretary of State. DiNozzo as WH Chief of Staff. Just need to find a suitable gig for Abby, Ducky and the autopsy gremlin.

rmel80 on May 31, 2011 at 3:01 AM

Where does she get these crazy notions?!?!

/sarc

There Goes The Neighborhood on May 31, 2011 at 3:02 AM

djohn669 on May 31, 2011 at 2:48 AM

I’m glad to be here with you and everyone else..We definitely need to realize we are lucky to be a part of Hot Air!..:)

Dire Straits on May 31, 2011 at 3:02 AM

Dire Straits on May 31, 2011 at 2:59 AM

Because they think she’s running? And knowing her, we accept her word that it will be an untraditional campaign and are not worried about the “traditional” signs of running.

promachus on May 31, 2011 at 3:02 AM

rmel80 on May 31, 2011 at 3:01 AM

The ‘autopsy gremlin’ is Mr. Palmer…and he’s a cutie…though not as cute as McGeek.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 31, 2011 at 3:03 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 31, 2011 at 2:50 AM

I hate it when you pull rank!..:)

Dire Straits on May 31, 2011 at 3:04 AM

promachus on May 31, 2011 at 3:02 AM

Good luck..I’m not ready to jump on that train!..:)

Dire Straits on May 31, 2011 at 3:04 AM

Dire Straits on May 31, 2011 at 3:04 AM

Tony the Pilot outranks me.
He’s one of THE originals!

annoyinglittletwerp on May 31, 2011 at 3:07 AM

Where does she get these crazy notions?!?!

/sarc

There Goes The Neighborhood on May 31, 2011 at 3:02 AM

LSM: She suffers from paranoid delusions.
LSM: Trolls, enforce.

rmel80 on May 31, 2011 at 3:08 AM

Don’t have one yet!..:)

Dire Straits on May 31, 2011 at 2:59 AM

Do you have the ‘official’ list of declared candidates?

Also, does anyone know what the other potential candidates have been doing the last five days?

Ha Ha!!

chief on May 31, 2011 at 3:10 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 31, 2011 at 3:03 AM

Yes, I know. lol. But “autopsy gremlin” is so much funnier than saying Palmer. Or Pimmy Jalmer in Thom E. Gemcity’s book.

rmel80 on May 31, 2011 at 3:12 AM

chief on May 31, 2011 at 3:10 AM

No I do not have the official list..That is one reason I am waiting..:)

Dire Straits on May 31, 2011 at 3:14 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 31, 2011 at 3:07 AM

You are right!..:)

Dire Straits on May 31, 2011 at 3:15 AM

Toliver, you can find anything you want about Palin at this website. They have a whole section on Palin’s issues, her policies, links to palintv where they have archived almost everytime she has spoken on tv, links to her facebook page where she has regularly posted her take on events of the day, policy ideas, etc.

Spend some time there, do your research.

Twerp, where might you move to if hubby takes this career move offer?

karenhasfreedom on May 31, 2011 at 3:16 AM

No I do not have the official list..That is one reason I am waiting..:)

Dire Straits on May 31, 2011 at 3:14 AM

Heh! Just messing with you Dire!

chief on May 31, 2011 at 3:17 AM

I just went back to the one year anniversary post and saw comments by:djohn669, Kini, me, Hollowpoint, peterfrt, tony737…and i’m sure I missed someone(s).

annoyinglittletwerp on May 31, 2011 at 3:19 AM

Twerp, where might you move to if hubby takes this career move offer?

karenhasfreedom on May 31, 2011 at 3:16 AM

Wisconsin-just N/W of the Dells and not THAT far from the Minn. Border. He’ll only accept if the offer is REALLY good.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 31, 2011 at 3:21 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 31, 2011 at 3:19 AM

If you mean me, I was registered, posted on topics I used to like. I certainly didn’t take part in family get-togethers.

promachus on May 31, 2011 at 3:21 AM

Heh! Just messing with you Dire!

chief on May 31, 2011 at 3:17 AM

LOL!..It is all good!..:)

Dire Straits on May 31, 2011 at 3:23 AM

rmel80 on May 31, 2011 at 3:12 AM

‘Pimmy Jalmer’-I’ll have to remember that. LoL
Btw: Mark Harmon is a Silver fox.
*Gawd-I sound like a teenager*

annoyinglittletwerp on May 31, 2011 at 3:23 AM

Twerp, I think you mentioned that area before a while back before the TX move was finalized. If you end up back up here, WI is turning red, so that could make it exciting. However, Texas is one of the best states to live in overall, in my opinion. I lived in the DFW area for 4 years back when Reagan was first elected, and again for 3 years of Bush 2, in the Austin area. If my family obligations here end some day, I would seriously consider moving back to the austin area.

karenhasfreedom on May 31, 2011 at 3:36 AM

I followed Ed Morrisey over here. I had occasionally read some posts over here prior to his move, but was not used to the format. I liked reading Ed’s captain’s quarters blog every day. It has taken me a long time to get used to Allah’s approach to blogging, and now I consider the site to be one of the best ones in the conservative blogosphere to be exposed to the main issues of the day. It is getting referenced more and more by Rush, FoxNews, Hannity, etc. Kudos to the guys and now Tina for raising this site up in stature.

karenhasfreedom on May 31, 2011 at 3:39 AM

Twerp, may I suggest a “no thought to the cost” idea of a winter home in TX and a Spring/Summer/Fall home in WI. The Badger state could really use your votes. :)

rmel80 on May 31, 2011 at 3:42 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 31, 2011 at 3:19 AM

What a difference a year makes, eh?

Kini on May 31, 2011 at 4:19 AM

Kudos to the guys and now Tina for raising this site up in stature.

karenhasfreedom on May 31, 2011 at 3:39 AM

Fresh Air, she is.

Kini on May 31, 2011 at 4:32 AM

From my massive Palin Websites,stored since 2008.
==================================================

PalinTV.
In her own words,unfiltered
****************************

canopfor on May 31, 2011 at 5:33 AM

And she is right on target -they will take down any that dare to compete with their annointed one and programs – without their approval. Throw in the “me too” DC pundits and political hacks like Krauthammer, Will, Rove on the right and all on the left.

She’s outsmarting them all – making an end run aroung their obstacle course and gottcha gate.

People who hunt all their life know every movement of their quarry, while their quarry remains (in the words of the weekend’s headlines) confused!

Don L on May 31, 2011 at 6:02 AM

political press corps that thinks she’s not ready

You couldn’t be more wrong or naive AP. If you think that the political press corps(or corpse if you’re Obama) cares one hoot about a candidate being ready to serve America -then please explain their symbiotic salivation affair with the unknown messiah? They are on her case because (like many in her fiscal wing of the GOP) they fear her truth telling, willingness to attack her own when wrong,love for America, lover for her God, life, and her perfectly charming willingness to say it out loud. They fear and are confused by her end-run and by the fact they they given her their best shots to take her out of the race and she’s coming at them in a way they can’t control. She may be changing the leftist media’s (and they are) control of what people hear think and who they must vote for.

It is truth that will set us free -it is truth that they all fear!

Go Sarah!

Don L on May 31, 2011 at 6:13 AM

another good morning to all

cmsinaz on May 31, 2011 at 7:12 AM

OT: morning joe is trashing everything about the afghanistan war…

cmsinaz on May 31, 2011 at 7:16 AM

Giving the LSM a raspberry! I love it! Way to go Sarah!

tinkerthinker on May 31, 2011 at 7:26 AM

why does she have to?

cmsinaz on May 31, 2011 at 7:35 AM

My take.

kingsjester on May 31, 2011 at 7:35 AM

kingsjester on May 31, 2011 at 7:35 AM

another good take KJ…you’ve got the money quote from her…

cmsinaz on May 31, 2011 at 7:41 AM

cmsinaz on May 31, 2011 at 7:41 AM

Thank you, ma’am.

kingsjester on May 31, 2011 at 7:50 AM

The NRO page has a poll: “should Sarah run” … she’s under 40% right now … palinistas, palians and palindrones should get over their and vote!!!

gh on May 31, 2011 at 8:11 AM

arg, their there

.. and i don’t even use a spell-checker … sigh

gh on May 31, 2011 at 8:12 AM

NRO home page

.. rats … (did that twice):

gh on May 31, 2011 at 8:15 AM

alwaysfiredup on May 31, 2011 at 1:04 AM

give them time Palin pulled the rug out form under them the last couple days they are still trying to find their bearings…

unseen on May 31, 2011 at 1:01 AM

Palin answered easy questions for 2:00 minutes in Marlyland. She also said she wouldn’t tell the press where she’d be going.

The rug is still there.

toliver on May 31, 2011 at 1:04 AM
Don’t slip on the rug and hit your head! It might knock
some common sense into you – on second thought…..

Amjean on May 31, 2011 at 8:29 AM

gh on May 31, 2011 at 8:11 AM

I couldn’t care less about an NRO poll, and anyway the question is idiotic. “Should so-and-so run?” I’ve never seen so much effort go into getting someone not to run who is allegedly so obviously unqualified. Anyone should run if they feel led to do so.

pseudoforce on May 31, 2011 at 8:40 AM

ROFL:

The Palin family and a few members of her staff snuck out of their hotel early, leaving their flashy bus behind in the hotel parking lot to give reporters chasing her the impression that she was still readying for the day.

As members of Palin’s advance staff began to roll out luggage to the bus on Tuesday morning, a crush of media and tourists gathered to meet the potential presidential candidate on her way out of the hotel.

But CNN was soon tipped off that Palin was long gone, off to visit the Civil War battlefields and onward toward Philadelphia.

unseen on May 31, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Whitney the Pipsqueak said it best:

Hehe.She’s a point guard. It’s called having a wicked crossover dribble. http://wp.me/p4HKM-G2D

When it comes to the media, Palin is what you call in basketball terms, an ankle-breaker.

NoNails on May 31, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Sarah has said repeatedly that it’s too early to announce and start a campaign. She’ll let us know when she’s good and ready and not before. It’s like huntin’, you have to wait to take the perfect shot if you want to get the meat.

Kissmygrits on May 31, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Plenty of sports/outdoors analogies available:

Baseball: The media is looking fastball, and she’s pitching backdoor sliders.

Football: She headfakes up the middle, then jukes to the outside.

Baseball: The art of hitting is founded on timing. The art of pitching is founded on disrupting timing. Palin is striking out the side.

Basketball: The media is triple-teaming her, and she’s still driving the lane and scoring layups.

NASCAR: They keep trying to squeeze her on the wall, and she keeps driving around them.

Now to shift gears. I got very upset with the FNC Election “specialist” the other day. He quoted Palin’s answer to the expected question if this was a campaign tour. Basically, she said she was out showing folks that it was ok to be proud of what America is and was, and to remind them of our foundations, that was is needed isn’t “fundamental transformation”, but fundamental restoration. To which the “specialist” says, “It sure sounds like a campaign”. Knucklehead.

Freelancer on May 31, 2011 at 10:50 AM

I’m not the biggest Palin fan. I thought she had perhaps fatally flubbed up, or at least been fully Quayled. But now I’m getting new respect for her in this — she is saying let the MSM work for a change and write their own stories.

flicker on May 31, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Bio-ecological: She’s forcing the MSM to be a pack of wolves having to hunt for their meat rather than carrion-eating vultures waiting to chew on road kill.

Fairy-Tale: Her last tour stop will be the briar patch.

flicker on May 31, 2011 at 7:56 PM

There is ample evidence that everything Palin believes about the press is 100% TRUE!!!

landlines on May 31, 2011 at 10:39 PM