Video: My first appearance on the Tom Sullivan Show

posted at 12:00 pm on May 29, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

This weekend, I made my debut on Fox Business Channel’s Tom Sullivan Show as a talking head, and as you’ll see, I had a pretty good time.  Sullivan matched me up with FBC reporter Adam Shapiro and media strategist Erica Payne, who represented the liberal point of view in the debate.  Sullivan posed the question of political risk in pursuing Medicare reform in the first part of the segment, noting that people want government to spend less but don’t want their benefits cut.  He also argued that Democrats are better at messaging to the latter point, even though I argue that benefit cuts aren’t necessarily what’s happening — and both Shapiro and I point out that it won’t affect current Medicare recipients in any case:

As I note, it’s easier to demagogue than it is to argue, and Payne gives a brilliant demonstration of this in her reply to me by saying that Republicans just want to abandon seniors.  It’s a lively exchange and probably the most fun of the segment.  We also debate the Newt Gingrich tempest in a Tiffany’s teapot and the Chrysler bailout claims of having paid in full the taxpayer interventions, which are ludicrous on their face.

I may be coming back for more appearances on Tom’s show, so be sure to keep your eyes open.  This will replay again at 7 pm ET tonight if you want to catch the full show.

Comments

looking good Ed.

Ampersand on May 29, 2011 at 12:02 PM

I grew up listening to Sully in Sacramento. He’s a great conservative thinker. Glad you made the show Ed.

Rovin on May 29, 2011 at 12:10 PM

What the GOP should be doing, and is failing, is explaining how not dealing with the issue is literally dooming the next generation it de-facto slavery.

Rebar on May 29, 2011 at 12:10 PM

At the end of the day, At the end of the day, At the end of the day…who is writing her talking points?

Dr Evil on May 29, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Congrats Ed, you make us proud! P.S. How about a Indy 500 post for us racers/racing fans?

Liberty or Death on May 29, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Let’s just hope that head doesn’t get swelled, Mr. TV Personality.

Just kidding!

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 29, 2011 at 12:13 PM

‘one of the biggest bloggers out there’

kudos Ed

why didn’t he give a shout out to HOT AIR…it just says blogger under your name

she’s got her talking points down…tool

cmsinaz on May 29, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Congrats, Ed!

ladyingray on May 29, 2011 at 12:21 PM

As far as messaging goes Republicans are not bad at messaging they are “Timid” at messaging. It’s been put forth that Republicans are just plain afraid of the Liberal Media. That doesn’t exactly inspire confidence in the people they want to vote for them. Sarah Palin is popular because she doesn’t let the Liberal Bullies shape any of her actions. That’s how Republicans should be approaching the electorate “Boldly”.

That woman in the video is a ditz she was repeating a mantra over and over again: Republicans don’t think they have any responsibility to Seniors. The Democrats aren’t stupid they know who the largest voting block is – Seniors. The Republicans know it too. She was salting the discussion- saturating with repeated sound byte. Tom Sullivan shouldn’t have let her get away with that. This is what Republicans don’t do well push back in real time. This is why people like Ann Coulter are so popular, they don’t hold their powder. They use the ammo they are handed “inane talking points” while the discussion is happening, not later on trying to “clarify” and put it in “context” Why didn’t someone call her out it’s obvious what she was doing. If I was there I would have told her I don’t want to have a discussion with your Democrat marching orders. Come back when you can make an intelligent- original argument on your own.

Do Republicans need a training camp for defending their message in the Media? Maybe. They are better online than they are on air.

Dr Evil on May 29, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Congrats Ed you did a great job. You understand though you were arguing logic and she was arguing irrational emotion?

It’s time for Republicans to take charge of the discussions. Yes it’s polite to let the lady speak, but I was kind of missing Bill O’Reilly or Imus conducting the interview and calling BullSh1t on her unoriginal charge of Republicans not caring about old folks LOL! No one remembers when Kayne West, accused Bush of not caring about Black People? When will the Republicans figure out the playbook and the same old play being played on them over and over again?

Co opt their talking points ( take the emotional hot wind out of their sails) and redirect the discussion back to “problem solving” at the end of the day folks want Problem Solvers, not Media Blabbers.

Dr Evil on May 29, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Just think, like some others here, I was reading Ed before he was famous, back in the days when he was just a speck on the blogosphere.

Congrats, Ed!

BTW, there’s good stuff on FBC, and the channel is a good complement to FNC. Maybe soon FBC will add The Ed Morrissey Show.

petefrt on May 29, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Ed, when he said you were “one of the biggest bloggers out there” … what exactly did he mean by that? Hmmmmmmmmmmm …

haha :-)

Tony737 on May 29, 2011 at 12:32 PM

I love how dems get on tv and lie their a$$es off (cunning stunt, Erica!). Stop letting them get away with that!! They’re bankrupting the country but the lying a$$es aren’t being affected by it.

Shay on May 29, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Video: My first appearance on the Tom Sullivan Show

Ed Morrissey – Superstar. Congratulations!

Vicky says: cut the spending for thee, just not for me.

Based on your performance, I suspect you will.

rukiddingme on May 29, 2011 at 12:37 PM

That woman has the most annoying voice evah!

MJBrutus on May 29, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Erica Payne is aptly named; I thought Juan Williams was the most irritating commentator on FOX. You should tell the moderator that you won’t tolerate her overtalking you next time.

ProfessorMiao on May 29, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Caught Erica on FBC with Cavuto. Total lefty tool.

marinetbryant on May 29, 2011 at 12:45 PM

That woman has the most annoying voice evah!

MJBrutus on May 29, 2011 at 12:40 PM

She was quite obvious – I don’t know what is skeevier than frightening old people?

Dr Evil on May 29, 2011 at 12:54 PM

At 9.53 the Democrat “something” (I won’t use the word the comes to mind) says that Gingrich sells out the American people on behalf of Corporations. Of course Ed and everyone else on the panel let it go.

I’m no fan of Newt but WTF, this is how these people paint every conservative. She said it about Gingrich but if the subject were Palin, Pawlenty, or Romney she would have spouted the same mantra. I realize that it’s not Ed’s job to defend Gingrich but ad hominem attacks should be responded to at every opportunity, for fairness if nothing else and it makes everyone on the panel look like clowns IMO.

whbates on May 29, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Even after Ed pointed out that no one was cutting anything they all held on to the phrase.

Their tactics are clear: as they did in the past with SS reform, from now until 2012 the Democrats will offer nothing but lies and distortions.

And people will believe them.

It’s past time conservative talking heads and politicians stopped calling their lies “scare tactics”: They are blatant lies uttered by shallow, self-centered liars.

Rod on May 29, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Caught Erica on FBC with Cavuto. Total lefty tool.

marinetbryant on May 29, 2011 at 12:45 PM

They know she is a lefty shill, next time I would ambush her with her own talking points, that’s the beauty of making “irrational emotional arguments” emotions run in both directions. I would personalize the argument with “I am a baby boomer, and this is going to effect me personally in my life” The Democrats have created uncertainty in my future, where none has to exist. Why do Democrats always want people vulnerable and dependent on them? Why don’t Democrat’s care about my future? They only care about the immediate benefit to their political future. Erica: Americans can worry about a defunct Medicare Program after I have retired as a shill for a corrupted political system. Erica at the end of the day is a Poly -Tick, as in blood sucking.

Next Time Captain, take no prisoners, show no mercy, leave them no quarter ;)

Dr Evil on May 29, 2011 at 1:05 PM

O/T, Ed isn’t it time for some Sarah Palin on the back of a motorcycle?

Dr Evil on May 29, 2011 at 1:16 PM

I’d love advising Republicans on Medicare messaging. This is so simple.

First, I’d highlight the fact that Medicare Advantage is loved by seniors & that it’s lowering Medicare expenses to seniors.

Next, I’d run ads from dawn till dusk & later showing the part of Ryan’s plan that exempts people 55 & older from these changes unless they want to change to Ryan’s plan. I’d then ask whether you should trust people (Democrats) who lie to people for temporary political gain.

LFRGary on May 29, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Rebar on May 29, 2011 at 12:10 PM

The neverending $1.6 trillion a year deficit should cause EVERYONE to advocate intense austerity, NOW. Any other position completely loses me. “Saving Medicare”? We’re so broke, no, so incredibly in debt, and having to service that debt. We HAVE to stop borrowing. We HAVE to start living within our means. Sooner or later, there will be a train wreck of epic proportions. AllahPundit will headline the story “The Greatest News of the 21st Century”. (AP is sarcastic some times)

Paul-Cincy on May 29, 2011 at 1:28 PM

LFRGary on May 29, 2011 at 1:26 PM

They took away Medicare Advantage to pay for Obamacare. I would run ads showing how AARP supposedly a group that supports Seniors sold them out in a continual loop… Don’t look now Seniors the Democrats are planning on running the clock out on you. If you don’t fix Medicare now it’s going to cease to exist than what do you do when it’s too late to fix? I know they can blame Bush LOL!

Dr Evil on May 29, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Dr Evil on May 29, 2011 at 1:16 PM

excellent pic….new photo for all SP threads…

cmsinaz on May 29, 2011 at 1:31 PM

(AP is sarcastic some times)

Paul-Cincy on May 29, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Really? I hadn’t noticed/

Dr Evil on May 29, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Dr Evil on May 29, 2011 at 1:16 PM

excellent pic….new photo for all SP threads…

cmsinaz on May 29, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Drudge has a photo up and link to a yahoo article, where it’s mostly being trolled by Palin Haters. It’s a sad thing they can’t control themselves not even on Memorial Day Weekend. I see why the Democrats are always advocating for more Mental Health coverage. They see the need first hand.

Palin kick-starts bus tour on back of motorcycle

Dr Evil on May 29, 2011 at 1:42 PM

it’s easier to demagogue than it is to argue,

Sums it up.

JellyToast on May 29, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Dr Evil on May 29, 2011 at 1:42 PM

heh

thanks doc :)

cmsinaz on May 29, 2011 at 1:55 PM

ObamaCare takes Five And A Half BILLION away from Medicare. Preach it!

Eren on May 29, 2011 at 2:06 PM

I just watched it. Erica is worthless. “Republicans don’t care about old people. Newt lobbies for big companies to screw over the American people.”

Ed you did OK, TRYING to get out the facts. But … every time you’re on, I wish you’d mention “$1.6 trillion per year deficit” (compared to Bush’s $300k – $400k per year). $14.4 trillion debt. Debt payments. Politics doesn’t matter when you’re broke! We’re headed for a TRAIN WRECK.

You know the family where the wife puts $20,000 a year on the credit card? For a family of 4, our annual $1.6 trillion deficit amounts to OVER a $20,000 share per such family per year. If you’re the husband of this wife, do you dicker around with your budget here and there, which is like arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic? Because if you do, pretty soon you’re going to be saying, jeez, this water is cold! Our boat has sunk!

I live in a very nice middle/upper middle class community. The house 4 doors down just got an eviction notice taped onto its door, and is due for foreclosure after that. We have a lot of problems. We HAVE to begin to live within our means. Ed, opinion leaders like you should go on TV and tell it like it is. To paraphrase from George Costanza’s Dad’s Festivus celebration, “AUSTERITY NOW!”.

Paul-Cincy on May 29, 2011 at 2:09 PM

More On Obama’s Weiner!

Nearly Nobody on May 29, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Dr Evil on May 29, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Who’s driving, do you know?

petefrt on May 29, 2011 at 2:24 PM

ProfessorMiao on May 29, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Juan Williams is great. He’s a thoughtful and smart guy. He also calls them as he see them. Sure, he’s usually on the wrong side, but he is a good advocate for liberalism who adds to the debate.

MJBrutus on May 29, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Dr Evil on May 29, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Who’s driving, do you know?

petefrt on May 29, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Looks like Bristol.

Paul-Cincy on May 29, 2011 at 2:43 PM

I nominate Capt. Ed for Admiral!

All in favor say “Aye.”

locomotivebreath1901 on May 29, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Good debut, Ed! You made some good points and represented the right of center blogosphere well. That said, if Tom Sullivan is going to put liberals like Erica Payne on his show, at least he put one on that I can look at, if not agree with.

Yikes. That didn’t quite sound right. ;-)

itzWicks on May 29, 2011 at 3:35 PM

That woman is extremely obnoxious. I guess I can see why things are the way they are if she is a “media strategist.”

tikvah on May 29, 2011 at 3:38 PM

Wow, just wow. I read before I watched and it was soo obvious.

“The plan doesn’t affect those on medicare…it’s easier to demagogue than to debate…”

“You wanna kill granma!!!!”

Pattosensei on May 29, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Erica Payne is a pain…what was that crap about Republicans not feeling we have an obligation to seniors? Geez…last time I looked the Democrats were cutting Medicare to pay for Obamacare.

Terrye on May 29, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Ed cleans up nice! Jacket and tie…w00t!

JetBoy on May 29, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Here are the realities. The systems, in its current form, is unsustainable. Better to save for your future, rather than rely on the government to dictate your future healthcare.

If doctors refuse medicare patients, which they are starting to do, and if doctors leave their profession because of government intrusion, then you’ve got Cuba care, which clownfish like Michael Moore calls superior. Let the realities sink in.

Erica Payne’s argument that the government is obligated to care for our elderly is a nothing more than opening the bureaucratic death panel. A government that will decide the affordability of your life, is not healthcare.

I Abhor that phrase “At the end of the day”

Kini on May 29, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Liberals are so frustrating.

I don’t care if you have a different opinion than I do; just please, have tangible reasons for it.

Aronne on May 29, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Liberals are so frustrating.

Aronne on May 29, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Then they wouldn’t be liberals, would they?

MrX on May 29, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Excellent job,Capt`n Ed:)

canopfor on May 29, 2011 at 11:38 PM

ERICA PAYNE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS AD:
New progressive ad: Paul Ryan literally pushes grandma off a cliff

StewartIII on May 30, 2011 at 12:37 AM

The GOP continues to be POOR in communicating … and gutless in defending their policies. I’m sick of them.

Ricohoc on May 30, 2011 at 8:04 AM

Ed,
Kudos, Dude! Nice job!
A sincere recommendation for EVERY conservative commentator before they appear in one of these little scrums that the media loves to stage: Re-screen the opening speech from “Patton” right before the camera goes on, and remember that you’re either attacking or you’re losing.
Stop defending and concentrate on making them defend themselves. They are pathetically predictable, so bait them into saying something predictably stupid and then ambush them!
Remember; We’re either attacking or we’re losing!

Lew on May 30, 2011 at 8:45 AM

Dr Evil on May 29, 2011 at 1:42 PM

A Yahoo comment section is one of the places I go to get a dose of reality when I start feeling too optimistic about the chances for the country from hanging out with the people here at HotAir, of whom the vast majority are relatively rational and intelligent.

pannw on May 30, 2011 at 7:22 PM