Quotes of the day

posted at 8:30 pm on May 29, 2011 by Allahpundit

“With hours to go before Palin’s bus tour is supposed to begin, it’s still unclear what she’ll be doing when she gets to the first stop. It’s even more of a mystery what her second stop will be.

“Or when.

“Or why.

“Once again, the former vice presidential nominee has proven she can tilt the political world on its axis in an instant. Last week, Tim Pawlenty, Mitt Romney and Michele Bachmann took their campaigns to Iowa, but it was the news of Palin’s bus tour that really had people talking. She made a simple announcement on her website, and she got all the attention, all the interest.

“‘She’s not your typical politician, and from what I can tell, it doesn’t really matter,’ said Republican strategist John Feehery. ‘She’s going to have a following; she’s going to create news, and she does it in ways that don’t have structure to them or seem to have any kind of strategy.’”

***

***
Via Gateway Pundit.

***
Via Mediaite.

***

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

***
Via the Daily Caller.

View more videos at: http://www.nbcwashington.com.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 9 10 11

Dr Evil on May 30, 2011 at 10:38 AM

There’s one up now.

hawkdriver on May 30, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Thanks Hawk

Dr Evil on May 30, 2011 at 10:45 AM

CWforFreedom on May 30, 2011 at 10:43 AM

that is the problem, no tradesman and no hunters, if the lights ever go out permanently, most ppl would die.

djohn669 on May 30, 2011 at 10:46 AM

It should also be pointed out that killing game for food is far more humane than slaughterhouses and meat processors.

NoNails on May 30, 2011 at 10:26 AM

You’d be surprised. While there are abuses at slaughterhouses, most employ very quick methods of dispatching the animal.

Hunting in the wild produces a lot of wounded animals that suffer greatly before finally dying.

That being said, I prefer to raise, slaughter and process as much of my own animals as possible.

BierManVA on May 30, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Terrye on May 30, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Did you not see Ed’s post on this? WaPo interviewed Ted Shpak and didn’t bother to corroborate his statement that Palin was not invited (Shpak works with RT but is not an official RT spokesperson). The official RT media person confirmed to Ed that she was in fact invited.

So the WaPo story is shoddy reporting.

In any case, how do you know what proportion of RT participants welcomed her presence there? It could be 80% for/20% against and WaPo could still have easily found four people with a negative opinion.

Missy on May 30, 2011 at 10:48 AM

I use it because Palians are the new Paulians. Frankly, I don’t care if you like it or not.

MJBrutus on May 30, 2011 at 10:35 AM

And with that, you have proven to me beyond a reasonable doubt that you are no longer seeking serious debate (if you ever were). Happy freakin Memorial Day, douchebag.

gryphon202 on May 30, 2011 at 10:48 AM

The hunting thing is a funny angle to come up. Vegans I get. People who concede that while killing the animal themselves would be too hard, but that it’s necessary to provide meat to them (because they eat it) I get. Not everyone could kill or butcher an animal. And they shouldn’t have to just to be able to buy, use, eat meat. And I do feel bad for ALT if her condition causes her to have to eat meat for health while she would prefer to be a Vegan.

But there are people out there that eat meat, like it, want it and yet still have the onions to tell me if I hunt, I’m some kind of a beast.

Are one of you out there? Can you explain it?

I know, way OT except for the fact that Palin hunts. (Not sure she’s ever hunted from a Harley though.)

hawkdriver on May 30, 2011 at 10:49 AM

CWforFreedom on May 30, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Lolz.
And a little one at that…

OmahaConservative on May 30, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Oh, please. I can’t bear the thought of all those murdered tomatoes…

pseudoforce on May 30, 2011 at 10:41 AM

It’s the rats not the tomatoes.

darwin-t on May 30, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Fallon on May 30, 2011 at 10:39 AM

God Bless Your Dad.

My cousin and I are using our Dad’s WWII photos for our facebook profiles all Memorial Day Weekend. This is what I left under my Uncles’s Uniform Photo.

“Look how young they were, and they flew thousands of miles from home, and kicked the Japanese butts. And to this day the Japanese don’t attack other countries LMAO!”

Miss You Dad.

Dr Evil on May 30, 2011 at 10:54 AM

It’s the rats not the tomatoes.

darwin-t on May 30, 2011 at 10:53 AM

I once heard that a certain amount of rat hair & droppings were allowed in peanut butter for it to pass USDA standards…

OmahaConservative on May 30, 2011 at 10:56 AM

OmahaConservative on May 30, 2011 at 10:56 AM

That sort of thing is true of all agricultural products.

gryphon202 on May 30, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Are you and your mother vegetarians?

NoNails on May 30, 2011 at 10:23 AM

she isn’t but I’d like to be-unfortunately one of the effects of my eating disorder is that I get bed-ill every time i try it.

Isn’t there a stuffed bear in her Ak home? That poor creature was killed for the thrill of it. If you’re not hunting because if you don’t do that you’ll die…you’re hunting for sport…and I already said-repeatedly-that I’d vote for SP if she was the nominee.
Back. Off.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 30, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Sorry about your medical troubles. I will put you in my prayers.

I’m not a vegetarian; I love to eat everything. And I don’t have any problems with hunters or fishermen or those sports. But I’m not outdoorsy in any way. The most I’ve done is clam and catch crabs.

But like a lot of people in NJ, I’ve never picked up a gun in my life. Nor have any of my extended family, except for my WWII vet father-in-law. I know I could never hunt. I had to fast forward through Sarah’s TV episode when she was hunting.

But I can appreciate the sport and she is very responsible and her family eats everything they hunt. I like that she is a hunter and outdoorsy, even though it is foreign to me. She reminds me of Teddy Roosevelt in that populist way.

I think you shouldn’t write off your mother’s vote yet. She may come around in the end after hearing Obama’s rhetoric in a debate. (that’s if Sarah runs and gets the nomination.)

Remind her that the lives of animals are not as important as the lives of our servicemen and women and the lives of Israelis who are in danger because of the half-a$$ed policies (or lack of any policy) of Obama and because of his hatred of anything American, Jewish or having to do with freedom.

A radical socialist is more dangerous than a hunter.

Gently remind her of that when the time comes next year, if Sarah is the nominee. Don’t give up on her vote. It could be close where you are. And she could turn some of her friend’s votes.

Elisa on May 30, 2011 at 10:59 AM

OmahaConservative on May 30, 2011 at 10:56 AM

in most process foods the usda allows about 1 percent foreign matter. now what constitute foreign matter, would gross most ppl out.

djohn669 on May 30, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Palin is expected to be perfection incarnate while Obama is treated like a fragile, special child.

Fallon on May 30, 2011 at 9:05 AM

That reminds me of what they used to say about the terrorists. He only has to be right once; she has to be right all of the time.

steebo77 on May 30, 2011 at 11:00 AM

The Palins hunt and the Dems support abortion for any reason and at any time. That must make the Palins evil.

The excuses people come up with to hate the Palins are amazing. Just admit you’re told to by the miserable people you empower, and that happy people living the American dream upset you.

Hening on May 30, 2011 at 11:02 AM

wow Obama is going to lay thew wreath this year first time in his admin.

unseen on May 30, 2011 at 11:03 AM

she has to be right all of the time.

steebo77 on May 30, 2011 at 11:00 AM

and the problem for the DNC and RNc is that so far she has been

unseen on May 30, 2011 at 11:04 AM

wow Obama is going to lay thew wreath this year first time in his admin.

unseen on May 30, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Full campaign mode now, same reason Worf and Mrs. Biden are doing the PSAs for military families.

darwin-t on May 30, 2011 at 11:05 AM

unseen on May 30, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Just more photo op…

ladyingray on May 30, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Thanks to Patto for bringing that one up…

It’s just as bad to force religion on a people, and rely on it as a means of governance (see some Muslim nations) as it is to force religion out completely.

Best is to allow religion, and let the people make the choice. (See America)

JetBoy on May 30, 2011 at 9:31 AM

I was merely pointing out to our bigot friend that Palin is not the only politician that evoked God and religion. I used the Cold War as an example. She called me a fool saying that the Cold War was not religious. That is not true, so I pointed him to several books on the subject.

So I didn’t bring it up. Mr. Ouiji Board did. I simply provided facts to show how stupid the comment was. It need go no further.

Pattosensei on May 30, 2011 at 11:09 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 30, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Lubbock is known for fricassed giant spider filet.

katy the mean old lady on May 30, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Back. Off.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 30, 2011 at 10:30 AM

I don’t know the background on the alleged stuffed bear in the Palin home.

I do know that a lot of hunting, especially white-tailed deer, is necessary for the health of the herds. Deer over population is a serious problem, also with Canadian geese.

And much of the overpopulaton problem is due to do-gooder environmetalists and vote pandering politicians.

Killing such animals with guns is a humane way of dealingwith the problem

davidk on May 30, 2011 at 11:15 AM

And if you can show me where in the WH they hide the Federal “Department of Law” or even name the “Secretary of Law” who heads it I’ll concede your point.

MJBrutus on May 30, 2011 at 10:02 AM

She was discussing what happened to her in Alaska with the scurrilous ethics complaints, saying that the same thing could never happen to the President of the United States that happened to the Governor of Alaska because the federal equivalent of the Alaska Department of Law would come to the defense of the President and his administration.

steebo77 on May 30, 2011 at 11:15 AM

wow Obama is going to lay thew wreath this year first time in his admin.

unseen on May 30, 2011 at 11:03 AM

unseen:Yup,he was AWOL,last year!:)
=========================================

Interesting fact,Obama skipped Wreath Laying last year!
========================================================

AP: Obama to Skip Wreath Laying Ceremony at Arlington on Monday

By Doug Powers • May 25, 2010 11:20 AM
*****************************************

So,Sarah is doing it right!!

canopfor on May 29, 2011 at 10:27 PM

canopfor on May 30, 2011 at 11:19 AM

. Deer over population is a serious problem, also with Canadian geese.

davidk on May 30, 2011 at 11:15 AM

New Jersey considered Canada geese protected. All f’n 15 million of them. However… no one mentioned nets. I had a freezer full. Chinese guy taught me to stir fry them Deelicous!.

katy the mean old lady on May 30, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Miss You Dad.

Dr Evil on May 30, 2011 at 10:54 AM

“What part of Europe are you from?”

davidk on May 30, 2011 at 11:22 AM

“On this Memorial Day, as our nation honors its unbroken line of fallen heroes — and I see many of them in the audience here today — our sense of patriotism is particularly strong.”

If Palin had said this, it would be a bumper sticker.

hawkdriver on May 30, 2011 at 8:59 AM

hawkdriver:You nailed it on all accounts,and Hawk,thank you
too for your service,and your Tour of Duty in the
Afghan Theatre.——————-:)

canopfor on May 30, 2011 at 11:23 AM

canopfor on May 30, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Thanks.

hawkdriver on May 30, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Back. Off.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 30, 2011 at 10:30 AM

It’s good to know that you’ll vote for SP, but I fail to see how the issue of hunting is in any way related to her run for president. You have stated that your mother is against hunting, but I don’t believe Palin (or any politician) really needs to pander to the “hunting is bad” crowd in any way.

IMHO, if you can’t vote for a hunter, don’t. That’s the hill you choose to live/die on. The question that needs to be asked is whether or not hunting is a make or break issue. Some may not like hunting, but can separate it from politics and people. Can your mom? Only you can really find that out. There’s no point discussing/arguing it on here. We won’t convince anyone of the virtue of hunting anymore than you could convince us of its evils. It is also unlikely to be a major issue among voters.

Pattosensei on May 30, 2011 at 11:29 AM

“What part of Europe are you from?”

davidk on May 30, 2011 at 11:22 AM

I am an American.

Dr Evil on May 30, 2011 at 11:30 AM

I had never hunted before moving to Montana 5-years ago. I couldn’t imagine being capable of pulling a trigger with a deer or an elk in my sights. Shortly after moving here, I hit my first of many deer on the road. 5K in damage for the first deer I hit, much worse on the second one. After living here for a year, I realized that the deer population was being managed for good reason; these animals are like rats here. A neighbor taught us how to butcher and prepare veal in several tasty ways; bingo I became a hunter for meat and now fill my freezer with good quality veal, elk, duck, geese every hunting season. These animals are hunted for good reason, it’s called herd management and without such management these herds would die off entirely.

Keemo on May 30, 2011 at 11:31 AM

The heat index here in DE is pushing niety already, but I have goose bumbs because I just read this:

“You Could Have Heard A Pin Drop”

davidk on May 30, 2011 at 11:33 AM

I am an American.

Dr Evil on May 30, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Sorry. Didn’t mean to suggest otherwise. With your Facebook comment, I just thought you’d get a kick out of that bumpersticker.

Again, my apologies.

davidk on May 30, 2011 at 11:36 AM

“You Could Have Heard A Pin Drop”

davidk on May 30, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Awesome link.

hawkdriver on May 30, 2011 at 11:38 AM

“You Could Have Heard A Pin Drop”

davidk on May 30, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Awesome.
Thanks for sharing…

OmahaConservative on May 30, 2011 at 11:38 AM

“You Could Have Heard A Pin Drop”

davidk on May 30, 2011 at 11:33 AM

“Going to war without France is like going duck hunting without your accordion.” Donald Rumsfeld, U.S. Secretary of Defense

Dr Evil on May 30, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Keemo on May 30, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Did you mean “venison”?

davidk on May 30, 2011 at 11:39 AM

I’m going to guess we’re talking venison not veal.

hawkdriver on May 30, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Funny though Keemo, veal is the only meat, I will not eat.

hawkdriver on May 30, 2011 at 11:41 AM

davidk on May 30, 2011 at 11:36 AM

No problem, I would post my facebook page but I don’t want a troll infestation :) I am a fan of Hot Air and Ed Morrisey facebook pages. I take that back, I would add csdeven, because I think we should make ?her? our troll Hot Air mascot SMILE. The other trolls just aren’t candidates for commitment as committed.

Dr Evil on May 30, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Did you mean “venison”?

davidk on May 30, 2011 at 11:39 AM

YES, my bad….

Keemo on May 30, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Funny though Keemo, veal is the only meat, I will not eat.

hawkdriver on May 30, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Properly raised veal is not bad. The problem is that they have to take shortcuts in order to make it cheap enough to sell to the masses. That’s why I don’t eat veal either.

/wayyyyOT

gryphon202 on May 30, 2011 at 11:45 AM

“What part of Europe are you from?”

davidk on May 30, 2011 at 11:22 AM

That is a great bumper sticker.

Dr Evil on May 30, 2011 at 11:47 AM

hawkdriver on May 30, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Thank you for your service, Hawk.

ladyingray on May 30, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Thank you for your service, Hawk.

ladyingray on May 30, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Second that, along with all other warriors (past & present) that serve our country.

Keemo on May 30, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Karl Rove irritates the hell out of me…

OmahaConservative on May 30, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Thank you for your service, Hawk.

ladyingray on May 30, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Keemo on May 30, 2011 at 11:49 AM

What they said Chief.

darwin-t on May 30, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Something tells me we will see Obama frantically driving a pickup truck come 2012.

the_nile on May 30, 2011 at 9:24 AM

With a helmet.

katy the mean old lady on May 30, 2011 at 9:34 AM

…and guaranteed, a gun rack in the back window. With a Daisy B-B rifle resting in it.

Yoop on May 30, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Okay here’s a real question for our experts.

WHY can Bachmann win? I want to know their reasoning.

powerpro on May 30, 2011 at 2:24 AM

Because she’s actually closer to the media’s parody of Palin than Palin herself, a gaffing and antagonizing figure. Newtie and Mitt have been sucking the idiot O2 away from her, but she’ll flub soon enough.

ebrown2 on May 30, 2011 at 11:58 AM

It’s kinda scary all the time these people spend in Palin threads arguing with Palin supporters over someone they are sure won’t run or doesn’t have a chance of winning. It’s like a cult or some kind of fetish. Pretty crazy, if you ask me.

Dongemaharu on May 30, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Thanks LIG, everyone.

gryphon202 on May 30, 2011 at 11:45 AM

I’d never tell anyone else not to. Not my place. It’s a personal choice.

hawkdriver on May 30, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Yoop on May 30, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Your crazy! You could put someone’s eye out just by owning it!////

katy the mean old lady on May 30, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Thank you for your service, Hawk.

ladyingray on May 30, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Keemo on May 30, 2011 at 11:49 AM

What they said Chief.

darwin-t on May 30, 2011 at 11:52 AM

dittoes…

OmahaConservative on May 30, 2011 at 12:02 PM

I’d never tell anyone else not to. Not my place. It’s a personal choice.

hawkdriver on May 30, 2011 at 12:00 PM

I’m just sayin…veal is in and of itself nothing more than young beef. But they still can’t raise free-range cattle fast enough to keep up with the demand. Sad, really.

gryphon202 on May 30, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Yoop on May 30, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Too macho, try an empty SuperSoaker(TM).

ebrown2 on May 30, 2011 at 12:02 PM

gryphon202 on May 30, 2011 at 12:02 PM

No, I completely understand and agree.

hawkdriver on May 30, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Terrye on May 29, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Thank you for your “concern”.

Solaratov on May 30, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Too macho, try an empty SuperSoaker(TM).

ebrown2 on May 30, 2011 at 12:02 PM

I’d probably get in trouble for even having one of those in the parking lot where I work.

gryphon202 on May 30, 2011 at 12:11 PM

canopfor on May 30, 2011 at 11:19 AM

pretty sad that this is his first time doing this…you know election time is just around the corner…

cmsinaz on May 30, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Thank you for your service, Hawk.

ladyingray on May 30, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Yes Thank You. I don’t know why I love the Whirly Birds so much but I do. I was commenting on a Memorial Day Post today on Facebook. It must have something to do with the close in air support. You can imagine how the people fighting on the ground feel when you all show up :)

I am especially fond of the Longbow…..not that NightStalkers don’t have have reason to brag :) I was impressed with what the Apache did to Saddam’s Republican Guard….they were his you know elite fighting force…pft..

Dr Evil on May 30, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Hey Afghanistan We’re In Your Air Space…hold on Qaddafi your on the short list ;)

Dr Evil on May 30, 2011 at 12:19 PM

canopfor on May 30, 2011 at 11:19 AM
===================

cmsinaz on May 30, 2011 at 12:11 PM

cmsinaz:Exactly,and Obama has a patternization of this,
and is,WHO HE IS,and remember,he also skipped
this too,oh,btw,I have notice the testy jabs
on Palin threads,hang in there:)
===========================================

Obama blows off Medal of Honor recipients
Jan 21 2009
***********

According to TSO who was at the “Salute to Heroes Inaugural Ball”, this newly sworn-in President for the first time in 56 years blew off the ball (that’s 14 Inaugurations).

canopfor on May 30, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Dr Evil on May 30, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Apaches were the consumate, “Angels On Our Shoulders” for my detachment last time.

An aviator can accomplish anything with that kind of bodyguard.

hawkdriver on May 30, 2011 at 12:21 PM

new pics she went and read the consitution….now at Mt. Vernons

unseen on May 30, 2011 at 12:27 PM

hawkdriver on May 30, 2011 at 12:21 PM

The last couple of days Capt Vernice Armour USMC, first African American Woman Helicopter Combat Pilot, Operation Iraqi Freedom, has been making the rounds on the cable news channels. She has a book out, I intend to buy myself a copy. Talk about inspirational.

Dr Evil on May 30, 2011 at 12:27 PM

O/T
==============

Westboro Baptist protestors met by counter protestors
******************************************************

Members of the Westboro Baptist Church scheduled a protest in Joplin, Mo., Sunday. One protestor arrived around 12:15 p.m. and was accosted by counter protestors. Police escorted the Westboro member to safety and used tear gas to control the crowd.

====================================

WBC spankin
Added: 17 hours ago
*********************

Ignorant WBC protesters run off
Rumor has it that.

They got run off by some bikers. The police then arrested the WBC members for threatening Obama. Then the police escorted them to the state line.

canopfor on May 30, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Dr Evil on May 30, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Caught a bit of her on F&F this morning. Inspirational is right.

ladyingray on May 30, 2011 at 12:31 PM

hawkdriver on May 30, 2011 at 12:21 PM
====================

Dr Evil on May 30, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Dr Evil:Found this on CNN,ugh,Sanchez interview,but Capt`n
Armour talks about Iraq,and life!:)
=============================================

A Woman of Firsts
Jul 8, 2007
*************

canopfor on May 30, 2011 at 12:35 PM

canopfor on May 30, 2011 at 12:28 PM

ppl are getting mad, one day one of them wbc idiots are going to get slaughtered by a grp of ppl

djohn669 on May 30, 2011 at 12:35 PM

PRESIDENT HARLEY GAL!!!

Karl Rove is just a despicable tool. And the rest of the Beltway Pundits can go _________ themselves.

PappyD61 on May 30, 2011 at 12:35 PM

canopfor on May 30, 2011 at 12:28 PM

djohn669 on May 30, 2011 at 12:35 PM

djohn669:WBC are dispicable,and a sickening group.I hate
to say it,but,there ask`n for it!:)

canopfor on May 30, 2011 at 12:42 PM

canopfor on May 30, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Thanks canopfor

Caught a bit of her on F&F this morning. Inspirational is right.

ladyingray on May 30, 2011 at 12:31 PM

You just know if she had been told to go lite up OBL’s Compound. Vernice, would have already been lifting off the ground GRIN

Dr Evil on May 30, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Dr Evil on May 30, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Then you should also know about Cpt. Stahlberg, an Army Apache Pilot who won an Air Medal with “V” device and again, one of my personal body guards. She was nominated for The Distinguished Flying Cross for her bravery and technically superior skills as gunner in a support engagement near Baylough, Afghanistan. There are a lot of them out there. A lot of firsts.

hawkdriver on May 30, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Dr Evil on May 30, 2011 at 12:48 PM

No doubt.

hawkdriver on May 30, 2011 at 1:03 PM

PRESIDENT HARLEY GAL!!!

PappyD61 on May 30, 2011 at 12:35 PM

You’re too kind to the T-Blossom, sir!

ebrown2 on May 30, 2011 at 1:04 PM

George Will has become a sad caricature of Town Square idiot of the Beltway. The ironic thing is that his cheap shot at Palin about nuclear weapons is the exact same BS that Reagan got…my my George, maybe dumping your first wife for the young chickee has given you syphilis and that is why your brain no longer works

georgealbert on May 30, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Amjean on May 30, 2011 at 8:10 AM

That’s funny, how one of the stupidest posters likes to say, “dumbass” to one of the very brightest. It’s of a piece with this whole, populist, smart is dumb and dumb is smart crap that I see so regularly around here.

MJBrutus on May 30, 2011 at 8:16 AM

You would be well-advised to follow the advice proffered by Amjean.

Solaratov on May 30, 2011 at 1:09 PM

PRESIDENT HARLEY GAL!!!

PappyD61 on May 30, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Rove is another self-absorbed turd who believes his own PR. Since he had less than nothing to do with SP’s rise, he can see no other path than to tear her down. Architect, my a$$!

SKYFOX on May 30, 2011 at 1:11 PM

hawkdriver on May 30, 2011 at 1:00 PM

We were discussing these folks, 229th Assault Helicopter Battalion “Winged Assault”

SP4 Donald Wielkopolan
Also killed in the same crash as Johansen. He wasn’ t supposed to be on the Huey that night. He served “A” company in various non-flying capacities, but he wanted to earn an Air Medal before he went home. For this medal, you must fly 25 combat hours. He repeatedly had begged me to let him fly the “Lightning Bug” night mission as his daytime jobs prevented him from flying. As faith would have its way, our regular gunner got sick on the last mission and I sought Don as he slept in his tent. He would be dead within 30 minutes after his helicopter took off.

Dr Evil on May 30, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Thanks canopfor

Caught a bit of her on F&F this morning. Inspirational is right.

ladyingray on May 30, 2011 at 12:31 PM
===========================

Dr Evil on May 30, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Dr Evil:Hehe,ahem,yes,lighting er up,hertes another story
that sticks in my mind,a Female Hog Driver!:)
=======================================================

Gulf War 2 Battle Damaged A-10
******************************

Pilot brings battle-damaged A-10 home safely
*********************************************
By Staff Sgt. Jason Haag
332nd Air Expeditionary Wing Public Affairs

OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM (ACCNS) — An A-10 Thunderbolt II pilot deployed with the 332nd Air Expeditionary Wing safely landed her “Warthog” at her forward operating base after it sustained significant damage from enemy fire during a close air support mission over Baghdad April 7.

Capt. Kim Campbell, deployed from the 75th Fighter Squadron at Pope Air Force Base, N.C., and her flight leader had just finished supporting ground troops and were on their way out of the area when her aircraft was hit with enemy fire.

“We were very aware that it was a high-threat environment — we’re over Baghdad,” she said. “At the same time, those are the risks you are going to take to help the guys on the ground, that’s our job, that’s what we do. Our guys were taking fire and you want to do everything you can to help them out.

“We did our job with the guys there on the ground and as we were on our way out is when I felt the jet get hit. It was pretty obvious — it was loud,” Captain Campbell said.
(More….and Images)

canopfor on May 30, 2011 at 1:50 PM

canopfor on May 30, 2011 at 1:50 PM

That’s impressive, they managed to land the aircraft after sustaining that kind of damage. They were missing big chunks of their aircraft in those photos.

Dr Evil on May 30, 2011 at 2:56 PM

On Memorial Day:

~ Thanks a billion to all those who have served, hawk, and to your families. I am very grateful!

~ Thanks to unseen for the latest on Sarah’s travels. I used to ride my bike to Mt. Vernon, sit on the beautiful lawn and watch the Potomac flow by. Great memories. .

~ To the Palinpoopers on this and every Sarah thread, especially for you today: may your steaks taste like leather, your ribs be burnt black, your bile cause indigestion and your heartburn come back. /I’m looking forward to those who will find ‘the right stuff’ and eat some deliciously barbecued crow before November, 2012. I’ll be happy to feed you then.

~ To the rest of you: have a wonderful holiday!

Opinionator on May 30, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Amjean on May 30, 2011 at 8:10 AM

MJBrutus on May 30, 2011 at 8:16 AM
No, you are wrong….again…it is really getting tiresome.
Actually, I let other posters with more patience than I
recite Palin’s record, correct facts, etc. when dealing
with the likes of you, cdseven, Petunia,terrywhatever, etc. For me I go for simplicity. Posters that rearrange
the facts to bolster up their Palin hate or pretty much
ignore all facts regarding Palin in their postsings are
dumbasses in my point of view. My intelligence doesn’t
really weight in.

Amjean on May 30, 2011 at 3:35 PM

bw222 on May 30, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Because when among Palians dumb is smart and smart is dumb.

MJBrutus on May 30, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Oh, stamping your little feet like a 4 year old, crying
“today is opposite day!”

Amjean on May 30, 2011 at 3:43 PM

There are a lot of them out there. A lot of firsts.

hawkdriver on May 30, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Which, honestly, is why it’s time to end the prohibition on women in combat. There don’t need to be quotas to enforce any kind of gender ratio, but there are some tough-as-nails women out there who have proven their value in combat situations and the policy is an insult to them.

alwaysfiredup on May 30, 2011 at 4:34 PM

djohn669 on May 30, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Even if we were, there isn’t enough wild game left to support our national population anywhere near its current level. ‘Victory Gardens’ would make one hell of a comeback, and even that might not be enough.

We’ve exceeded the natural carrying capacity of the land long ago and are being held up by the hand of technology…but if that hand goes limp, it’s a long, hard fall to the bottom.

Uncle Sams Nephew on May 30, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Palin is worth it if just for annoying the anti-Palins.

CW on May 30, 2011 at 5:05 PM

alwaysfiredup on May 30, 2011 at 4:34 PM

I’ve been an advocate for women in combat for as long as I can remember. We need not force it though. It has come it’s own way naturally.

We might have one more Tomcat and one more live Tomcat pilot if the left hadn’t tried to push women faster than they were ready to go.

hawkdriver on May 30, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Dr Evil on May 30, 2011 at 1:25 PM

You know as well as I do that this is the nature of war. I would feel worse denying the soldier the chance to serve in the manner they sought. They all want to be able to say they did their part.

The hardest thing I’ve ever had to do was counsel one of my door-gunners after ordering him to kill two men. It wasn’t that day, it wasn’t even that week. But you watch them for a while and I know you’ve seen it when it finally comes out. They need to be reassured what you’re there for, what you asked them to do was worth it and was just and honorable.

hawkdriver on May 30, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Hening on May 30, 2011 at 11:02 AM
I can’t remember, however, someone said that “liberalism is
a mental disease”…..these people who don’t want to kill
animals for food; however, think it is okay to kill a baby.

The ones who go “ga ga” over a little smelt fish, shut off
the water in California, and thousands of farmers go bankrupt.

The ones who worried about the caribou when the Alaskan
pipeline was being built; then when the wolves were growing
in numbers and killing the caribou in great numbers, criticized Palin for authorizing the shooting of wolves from helicopters.

All crackpots.

Amjean on May 30, 2011 at 8:31 PM

I would feel worse denying the soldier the chance to serve in the manner they sought. They all want to be able to say they did their part.hawkdriver on May 30, 2011 at 7:09 PM

That’s not what Hollywood reflects in movies. Most of the time the message is skewed in media coverage. I remember a young solider of the Sioux nation was asked by a CNN media person: Why did you enlist, why are you serving? He answered, Why wouldn’t I? This has always been my country, why wouldn’t I fight for it? The CNN media bunny just couldn’t digest the answer, surely he understood he was a victim……I don’t think it’s possible to kill the American Spirit, it would require wiping us all out.

Dr Evil on May 30, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Dr Evil on May 30, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Let them try.

hawkdriver on May 30, 2011 at 9:27 PM

pilot and RIO.

I know former flight instructors that were verbally told, “you instructors will make sure that she will not fail out of this program” by their training squadron CO’s. Hopefully, that’s all in the past by now.

blink on May 30, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Her RIO initiated the ejection sequence and survived.

hawkdriver on May 31, 2011 at 2:55 AM

blink on May 30, 2011 at 9:50 PM

But I had always heard also that the Clinton Administration pushed hard for her to be signed off for combat. They got it. They also pushed the Navy to call the accident mechanical failure since an engine had quit. She caused an excessive yaw on final which caused the engine to quit.

hawkdriver on May 31, 2011 at 2:59 AM