Video: Ryan talks debt reduction, mediscare

posted at 5:50 pm on May 27, 2011 by Jazz Shaw

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;

Kipling may as well have been talking about Congressman Paul Ryan this week. While Democrats were dancing in the streets over NY-26 and late night hosts were having a field day with the advertisement showing a Paul Ryan lookalike shoving a wheelchair bound grandmother off a cliff, Ryan continued to calmly – and even with some humor – answer the inaccurate charges and explain precisely what it is that he’s trying to do with his budget proposal. After a few notable turns on Morning Joe and CNN, he returned to Fox to refute his critics in a sober, measured fashion.

Obamacare kills Medicare. Obamacare raids $500B from Medicare to spend on Obamacare, puts in place a 15 member board to ration Medicare – of bureaucrats. Our budget repeals the raiding, gets rid of the rationing board, preserves this program, makes no changes to the program for a person 55 years of age or older, and saves Medicare by reforming it for our generation, but it’s solvent.

The president’s plan does not save Medicare. It allows it to go bankrupt. It rations the program and raids the program. We will stop the raiding, and we save the program from bankruptcy.

The interview goes on from there getting into some of the dangerously dry details for your average voter with the attention span of a humming bird, but the information is there. This would be a great interview to pass along to people on the fence, or supporters who are getting weak in the knees over the dark political clouds still gathering over this effort. In the words of the slogan of the complaints division of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation, Share and Enjoy.

(Bonus points for naming the reference without Googling.)

Comments

Hmmmmm. Everything I’ve read about Ryan’s plan says it maintains the $500 billion in Medicare cuts from Obamacare.

Mark1971 on May 27, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Ryan Budget Keeps Medicare Cuts GOP Once Criticized

Mark1971 on May 27, 2011 at 5:55 PM

….and replaces the savings with private plans for seniors…..like the current one they have.

Obamas rapes Medicare and poof….the program disappears in a few years.

Obama intends to kill Medicare.

rickyricardo on May 27, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Obamacare KILLS Medicare. Exactly. That will be my new line whenever any mentions Ryan’s plan.

JAM on May 27, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Just tell me based on X amount of years worked at X salary and at X age how much my voucher would be. Then I could at least make a more informed decision.

rjl1999 on May 27, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Ryan Budget Keeps Medicare Cuts GOP Once Criticized

Mark1971 on May 27, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Just doing his bi-partisan duty. I bet the congressman has a valid explanation.

fourdeucer on May 27, 2011 at 6:12 PM

I bet the congressman has a valid explanation.

He does actually: Medicare is going bankrupt and needs to adjusted.

The 500 billion in cuts will be redirected to private plans where the seniors will have a variety plans to choose from….just like Congresspeople and current seniors.

Obama slashes 500 billion and does not replace it.

Obama intends to kill Medicare.

rickyricardo on May 27, 2011 at 6:15 PM

ObamaCare cuts $500 billion from Medicare to buy health insurance for people, most of whom don’t need or want it.

It’s Obama who throws Grandma off the cliff. Look what he did to his own Grandma–that “typical white woman” who made him cringe, while she paid for his private schools.

Obama: Platitude and Ingratitude with an Attitude.

Steve Z on May 27, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Another brain dead Amurican who can’t handle his own financial situation.

Nice post.

rickyricardo on May 27, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Another brain dead Amurican who can’t handle his own financial situation.
Nice post.
rickyricardo on May 27, 2011 at 6:17 PM

So you want me to continue to pay into Medicare with no idea if it will be available?

rjl1999 on May 27, 2011 at 6:19 PM

rjl1999

How about this? If you are under 50, it won’t be there for you. Now do you want $$ to choose your own plan or do you want to pick up the entire tab after you retire b/c Medicare is bankrupt?

JAM on May 27, 2011 at 6:21 PM

JAM on May 27, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Stop taking it from paycheck – I’ll use my own $.

rjl1999 on May 27, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Bonus Points: Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.

Cheesecakecrush on May 27, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Hey, where’s Allah? Did I miss something — is he on vacation?

Splashman on May 27, 2011 at 6:32 PM

Read the last paragraph of that article I linked to. Only $10 billion of it gets put into current Medicare Advantage. Ryan’s spokesman says the rest goes to deficit reduction, not into other Medicare subsidies for private plans. This $500 billion that Ryan and Obamacare cuts is over the next 10 years. Ryan’s premium support doesn’t start until after that period, so the $500 billion can’t go there.

Mark1971 on May 27, 2011 at 6:32 PM

Mark1971 on May 27, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Instead of reading about his plan, did you bother to actually read his plan?

mizflame98 on May 27, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Hey, where’s Allah? Did I miss something — is he on vacation?

Splashman on May 27, 2011 at 6:32 PM

He’s driving Palin’s bus.

slickwillie2001 on May 27, 2011 at 6:44 PM

If…

29Victor on May 27, 2011 at 6:56 PM

He’s driving Palin’s bus.

slickwillie2001 on May 27, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Heh. And trying to convince her to run, right?

Splashman on May 27, 2011 at 6:57 PM

On Denis Prager this morning a gentleman had a great point: come out with a commercial with granny hanging her grandchildren, because that is what the current status quo means.

AshleyTKing on May 27, 2011 at 7:04 PM

I have not read the plan but Mark1971 have you considered in your argument that the Democrats have already voted the 500 billion out of medicare so Ryan has to work with what is already law?

cmptrnerd on May 27, 2011 at 7:06 PM

THIS is what a politician is supposed to be.

Aronne on May 27, 2011 at 7:12 PM

cmptrnerd on May 27, 2011 at 7:06 PM

But he’s saying here that his plan repeals the cuts.

Mark1971 on May 27, 2011 at 7:14 PM

(Bonus points for naming the reference without Googling.)

Or else be fed to the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal?

tom on May 27, 2011 at 7:14 PM

(Bonus points for naming the reference without Googling.)

DON’T PANIC!

And always bring a towel.

mechkiller_k on May 27, 2011 at 7:58 PM

Stop taking it from paycheck – I’ll use my own $.

rjl1999

Yeah, cuz that will happen. They’d have to repeal Medicare in order stop deducting from your paycheck.

JAM on May 27, 2011 at 9:03 PM