Quotes of the Day

posted at 10:30 pm on May 27, 2011 by Jazz Shaw

“That won’t impact whether I get in or not,” Bachmann asserted.

Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann said Thursday that former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin’s decision on whether she’ll seek the GOP nomination in 2012 won’t affect her own thoughts on running for the presidency.

During an interview on CNN’s “John King, USA,” Bachmann said, “My decision will be independent of whichever candidate gets in. I have great respect for Governor Palin, I consider her a friend, and if she gets in, she gets in.”

***

“A lot of what I am, deep down, there are a lot of insecurities. That can drive you … and also have petty sides, flaws, fears.”

Ousted Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich has taken the witness stand for a second day at his corruption retrial.

Indignant one minute, laughing the next, in tears moments later. Blagojevich clearly was trying to humanize himself to counteract the blunt, profane, seemingly greedy man heard on FBI wiretap recordings that prosecutors played for jurors earlier in the trial.

***

“I’ve had this calling and tugging on my heart that this is the right thing to do.”

Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann made it clear Friday that she was leaning toward a presidential run, saying on an Iowa public affairs program the she felt a “calling” to seek the Republican nomination.

Bachman repeated her plan to announce her presidential plans next month in Waterloo, Iowa, where she was born and lived as a child before moving to neighboring Minnesota. But it sounded as though her mind was largely made up.

***

“…there are now fewer establishment Republicans for Mitt to fight for money with. That is good for him.”

All kinds of qualifiers have preceded “front-runner” when it comes to Mitt Romney’s place in the 2012 Republican presidential primary – from weak to putative to nominal to marginal. None of them is accurate anymore.

Although the talk running rampant inside the Beltway is that the path to the nomination is more wide open than ever, a cadre of Republican presidential strategists contacted for this story said that such talk is simply conventional wisdom, with one pointing out that conventional wisdom is usually wrong. If anything, most said that Romney’s late-starting strategy has been masterful and has solidified his spot atop the rest of the field.

***

“I expect this meeting would only amount to a photo opportunity.”

Lech Walesa, Poland’s Solidarity-era leader, ex-president and 1983 Nobel Peace Prize winner said Friday he would not accept an invitation to meet fellow Nobel winner US President Barack Obama.

“I believe one day I will meet with Obama, but not this time,” Walesa said, adding he wished the US president “very well, but sometimes things just don’t work out.”

***

“We are not going to reduce benefits at all.”

Many liberals fear that Dems will cave on this point. But according to Dem Rep. James Clyburn, one of the Dems at the table in the Biden negotiations, Dems will not agree to any cuts that compromise benefits in any way.

Clyburn made the claim in an interview with Bloomberg News that’s set to air this weekend, a transcript of which is now on line. In the interview, Clyburn revealed that negotiators were zeroing in on up to $6 trillion in cuts, but when asked about Medicare, he seemed to take benefits off the table.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

John the Libertarian on May 28, 2011 at 1:56 AM

Good time’s! Used to listen to this when we had a car load of guys looking for trouble. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVewakuI0ms&feature=fvst and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMFYs3gfgis

heshtesh on May 28, 2011 at 2:09 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 28, 2011 at 2:09 AM

I think I do..Didn’t Cyndi Lauper write a similiar song?..:)

Dire Straits on May 28, 2011 at 2:11 AM

When ’867-5309 Jenny’ would play at the local roller ring a few of us would go look for ‘her’ number in the girls room-because we weren’t allowed in the boys room.
*Gawd I feel old now*

annoyinglittletwerp on May 28, 2011 at 2:12 AM

Dire Straits on May 28, 2011 at 2:11 AM

Cyndi didn’t…but the Divinyls did.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 28, 2011 at 2:17 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 28, 2011 at 2:17 AM

I thought I was right.. But Cyndi wrote this one!..Same theme!..:)

Dire Straits on May 28, 2011 at 2:24 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 28, 2011 at 2:12 AM

Remember those Roller Skating days!..:)

Dire Straits on May 28, 2011 at 2:26 AM

I thought I was right.. But Cyndi wrote this one!..Same theme!..:)

Dire Straits on May 28, 2011 at 2:24 AM

I used to ‘dance’ to that in high school…and I had NO IDEA!!

annoyinglittletwerp on May 28, 2011 at 2:27 AM

Have one of you jokers eaten canopfor?

Lanceman on May 28, 2011 at 2:29 AM

I used to ‘dance’ to that in high school…and I had NO IDEA!!

annoyinglittletwerp on May 28, 2011 at 2:27 AM

I hear you!..A LOT of folks were fooled by that one!..:)

Dire Straits on May 28, 2011 at 2:29 AM

Have one of you jokers eaten canopfor?

Lanceman on May 28, 2011 at 2:29 AM

He told us he was under the weather Thursday night..

Dire Straits on May 28, 2011 at 2:30 AM

He told us he was under the weather Thursday night..

Dire Straits on May 28, 2011 at 2:30 AM

Poor fellow.

Lanceman on May 28, 2011 at 2:31 AM

Remember those Roller Skating days!..:)

Dire Straits on May 28, 2011 at 2:26 AM

Therre’s two rinks in Lubbock. If one of them doesn’t play gangsta rap-I might go.

Btw: The gym a block from me requires a doctors note from anyone 40+ before they’ll let them join. I WANT to join but I’m only 40 1/2…and I find that offensive.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 28, 2011 at 2:32 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 28, 2011 at 2:32 AM

Skating would be great exercise!..:)

PS..I just wish I was 16 again!..:)

Dire Straits on May 28, 2011 at 2:36 AM

PS..I just wish I was 16 again!..:)

Dire Straits on May 28, 2011 at 2:36 AM

I don’t. 16 was HELL for me.
I’ll take 36 though.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 28, 2011 at 2:38 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 28, 2011 at 2:38 AM

16 was he!! for most everyone except Molly Ringwald!..:)

Dire Straits on May 28, 2011 at 2:40 AM

Remember those Roller Skating days!..:)

Dire Straits on May 28, 2011 at 2:26 AM

Ya i do as a matter of fact. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBn2ux5vRHk after that post it’s obviously time for bed,nite all.

heshtesh on May 28, 2011 at 2:42 AM

16 was he!! for most everyone except Molly Ringwald!..:)

Dire Straits on May 28, 2011 at 2:40 AM

She’s only a few years older than I am. People used to think I looked like her. I saw her on some show recently. She has quite obviously gotten ‘work’ done.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 28, 2011 at 2:44 AM

heshtesh on May 28, 2011 at 2:42 AM

It was great posting with you!..:)

PS..Enjoyed it!..:)

Dire Straits on May 28, 2011 at 2:58 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 28, 2011 at 2:44 AM

I remember that era quite well friend!..:):)

PS..yes I agree that she got some “work” !..:)

Dire Straits on May 28, 2011 at 3:01 AM

I had the theme for Buck Rogers going through my head…THE ENTIRE DAY.

I don’t know why. It hasn’t come up in conversation…I haven’t seen Gil Gerard or Erin Gray in years….

So what’s up with that??

powerpro on May 28, 2011 at 3:22 AM

powerpro on May 28, 2011 at 3:22 AM

Maybe you were really thinking of him, being the ‘puter nerd you are…

Gohawgs on May 28, 2011 at 4:33 AM

powerpro on May 28, 2011 at 3:22 AM

That, or me ;)…

Gohawgs on May 28, 2011 at 4:43 AM

Twiki! I loved him!

He was voiced by Mel Blanc you know.

Who I also loved.

powerpro on May 28, 2011 at 5:14 AM

What a bunch of liars. I work for a home health care agency and they are making cuts in medicare reimbursements right now. And one of the many reasons people did not like Obamacare…was that it used $500 billion in Medicare cuts to help fund the program. It is as if none of that happened. God, these people are unbelievable.

Terrye on May 28, 2011 at 6:13 AM

I missed the announcement that Hotair.com was to become Jazz Shaw-o-rama, which is great, except that every one of his posts really really suck.

I pray for the return of Allah.

BCrago66 on May 28, 2011 at 6:15 AM

That, or me ;)…

Gohawgs on May 28, 2011 at 4:43 AM

Hee! But of course. ;)

powerpro on May 28, 2011 at 6:37 AM

TSA Thug Grabs Crotch of Wounded Vet

Nearly Nobody on May 28, 2011 at 7:05 AM

Anthony Weiner (probably) tweeted his erect(under undies) picture to a lady…

biggovernment.com/publius/2011/05/28/weinergate-congressman-claims-facebook-hacked-as-lewd-photo-hits-twitter/

And for some odd reason that lady has deleted her twitter and facebook pages… I won’t say her name though…

postimage.org/image/2mqsm72is/

profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/186833_1586430152_115235_n.jpg

files.formspring.me/profile/20110331/n4d9462f5d91ce.jpg

ninjapirate on May 28, 2011 at 7:39 AM

what does Sarah Palin matter to Michele Bachman’s chances any more than Dunceman, Mittens, Perry, Giuliani etc..?

other than she’s a woman, not much. amirite?

ted c on May 28, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Six trillion in “cuts”, but no touching entitlements, so I guess that means no defense budget, and “tax reform”, raising taxes by removing hundreds of billions of write offs for individuals and businesses (but don’t dare call those “tax increases”).

eaglewingz08 on May 28, 2011 at 8:41 AM

BTW Lech Welesa’s comments sum up the Obama Presidency for history:

“we wished the US President well, but things just didn’t work out for the one term President.”

eaglewingz08 on May 28, 2011 at 8:43 AM

eaglewingz08 on May 28, 2011 at 8:43 AM

dude?! did he really say that? can i see a linky?

one should also read Walesa’s tribute to reagan written in ’82. Incredible bond between those twoguys.

ted c on May 28, 2011 at 9:23 AM

did we just go through a time warp, I think every comment between 810 and 0840 just went down the memory hole…

ted c on May 28, 2011 at 9:24 AM

never comment with >1 thread open and <3 cups of coffee onboard…

ted c on May 28, 2011 at 9:26 AM

Lech Walesa and Solidarnosc were the foundation upon which the trinity of Reagan, John Paul II and Thatcher built their wall-crushing, freedom-bringing machine. While on this general point, I want to salute a few Czechs for their stands — the Vaclavs (Havel and Klaus) and, believe it or not, Jaromir Jagr. If you don’t know hockey, Jagr had a long and very distinguished NHL career after getting out of the former Czechoslovakia as a teen. He chose to wear uniform number 68 in honor of those who unsuccessfully stood up to the Russians in the Prague Spring of ’68.

either orr on May 28, 2011 at 9:34 AM

“I expect this meeting would only amount to a photo opportunity.”

Translation: I remember the double-talk and the double-cross on missile defense. Buzz off.

novaculus on May 28, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Poland’s legendary Solidarity founder Lech Walesa was supposed to attend the meeting with Solidarity leaders, but announced hours before President Obama’s arrival here that he had no interest in a meeting that would amount to little more than a photo-op.

Solidarity was a national freedom and labor movement under Walesa’s leadership in the 1980s that helped bring down communism. Obama told his hosts that those days stirred Americans.

“I remember at that time understanding that history was being made because ordinary people were standing up and doing extraordinary things with great courage and against great odds,” he said. “Your actions charted a course for freedom that inspired many on this continent and beyond.”

The message the White House is hoping to send is that two decades after choosing democracy, Poland has a growing economy and is a strategic partner on the world stage — and the same could happen in Tunisia and Egypt, where another longtime leader has stepped down from power.

What a tiny weasel Obama is. Good on Walesa for showing him a huge finger.

Schadenfreude on May 28, 2011 at 3:04 PM