Miley Cyrus rips Rick Santorum

posted at 10:00 pm on May 27, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Hey, I like “Party in the U.S.A.,” but I don’t think it’s particularly patriotic of Miley Cyrus to pop off about potential presidential candidates.

The teen pop sensation took to Twitter to ding Rick Santorum in a roundabout way Thursday.

Cyrus isn’t a fan of Urban Outfitters after stories emerged alleging that the store has copied jewelry designs, so she pointed out that the company’s president had contributed to Santorum.

“IF WE ALLOW GAY MARRIAGE NEXT THING U KNOW PEOPLE WILL BE MARRYING GOLD FISH’ – Rick Santorum UO [Urban Outfitters] contributed $13,000 to this mans campaign” tweeted Cyrus, mocking Santorum for some earlier remarks regarding gay marriage.

She also wrote about Urban Outfitters and Santorum: “Not only do they steal from artists but every time you give them money you help finance a campaign against gay equality.”

I doubt former Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.) worries much about Cyrus’ effect on his potential campaign, even if she does have more than a million Twitter followers. For that matter, I doubt he worries that Keira Knightley recently said she had to google his name. (And he shouldn’t — I know firsthand several high school senior girls who don’t know who Joe Biden is. Not that that’s excusable.)

But I had to pipe up about this because, when I read her comments, I couldn’t help but think, “Right. And every time you give Miley Cyrus money you help finance a girl who clearly doesn’t understand the value of the world she’s been given.” She’s a Southern-bred gal who grew up with an essentially intact family. She should know better than to be less than gracious. And Santorum is a stand-up guy who has always been solidly in support of family values — who suddenly seems pretty cool to me.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Actually Santorum & Miley Cyrus are just as smart.

Santorum is a big government stooge.

tetriskid on May 27, 2011 at 10:02 PM

She called him a knuckle dragger?

davidk on May 27, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Wow. Hollyweird’s afraid of little ole Santorum? LOL.

Maybe he really will catch fire, I certainly hope so.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on May 27, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Intact family? Her family has pimped her out for years. Blech.

Blake on May 27, 2011 at 10:09 PM

If Rick Santorum irks the entertainment industry, that’s a good thing.

Doesn’t Miley have a bong hit of salvia to smoke, or something? Poor little confused waif. She may have to pole dance to get over it.

Philly on May 27, 2011 at 10:10 PM

============

Le Political Witch Hunt!!!!!

canopfor on May 27, 2011 at 10:11 PM

Note to self – go buy something at Urban Outfitters.

gophergirl on May 27, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Miley sounds like a few years down the line she’s going to answer the question few if any people were asking: What would Lindsey Lohan be like is she was into liberal Hollywood politics as much as booze and drugs?

jon1979 on May 27, 2011 at 10:13 PM

I don’t care what she has to say, and they have exactly the same chance of becoming president in 2012.

Shotgun Messiah on May 27, 2011 at 10:14 PM

So,Pop Tarts,have been drafted into the Lefty
Operative Missions of digging up dirt,on GOP/
Tea Party hopefuls,

proxies eh!!!

Whats next,revival of,Rock the Vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on May 27, 2011 at 10:16 PM

The world would probably be a better place without Miley or Rick.

lexhamfox on May 27, 2011 at 10:17 PM

If he can get the ire up of a spoiled vapid twit like Miley, maybe he deserves a second look.

DeathB4Tyranny on May 27, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Miley who?…………

Will be pulling a Lilo in a few years anyway. meh

JohnnyMojo on May 27, 2011 at 10:19 PM

The world would probably be a better place without Miley, or Rick‘s irrational enemies.

lexhamfox on May 27, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Fixed.
Santorum is a great person who will never be president.
Just like Sarah, Herman, Ron…

itsnotaboutme on May 27, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Shut up and sing.

On second thought, just shut up.

CurtZHP on May 27, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Rick Santorum is a great man and was a great Senator.
Miley Cyrus is absolutely nothing.

JellyToast on May 27, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Who’s Miley Cyrus?

Dusty on May 27, 2011 at 10:26 PM

“She should know better than to be less than gracious.”

Funny how being a child star surrounded by vampires will do that to you…

… Maybe she should get some tips from Charlie Sheen.

Seven Percent Solution on May 27, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Shut up and sing.

On second thought, just shut up.

CurtZHP on May 27, 2011 at 10:22 PM

*THIS*

Tim Zank on May 27, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Miley Cyrus??? Terrible, terrible influence on young girls.

I have no respect for her parents.

INC on May 27, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Oh Sweet Nibblets, only 19 and she’s into that artist are special people mentality. She really does think she’s above the rest of us. Remember talking my niece to see her movie a few years ago. The majority of her fans were about eight. Don’t think those votes will be swinging the next election.

Tommy_G on May 27, 2011 at 10:29 PM

She doesn’t fall anywhere near the concept of Southern graciousness. I would guess she’s probably not on speaking terms with it.

INC on May 27, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Hey, I like “Party in the U.S.A.,”

Wait. What?!!

conservative pilgrim on May 27, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Well, that’s too bad. She was a cute kid but once again has been corrupted by the Hollywood curse.

AZfederalist on May 27, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Miley, you’re already a washed up has been. Walmart quit selling your clothes. I saw all the clearance racks, and girls walking by going…UGH!!!

Take your money, and go marry, have some kids, and hope to God they turn out better than you. On second thought…nix the kids idea.

capejasmine on May 27, 2011 at 10:32 PM

She’s an ignorant tramp. Next.

greggriffith on May 27, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Wow. I guess if you know somebody’s name (e.g. Miley Cyrus or any other public person), they can’t have an opinion but the self-inflated blogger can trash them all they want, from the bully Internet pulpit.

Hey, she’s a person. She has an opinion. And as entitled to it as you are to yours.

Deal with it.

IndieDogg on May 27, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Kind of a strange cause for a 19 year old girl to get bent out of shape over.

AZfederalist on May 27, 2011 at 10:34 PM

“Gay equality”? Are there any teenagers out there who know anything about anything useful?

Gays are not heteros, they choose their lifestyle. If you want marriage and children, I guess you have to quash your gay urges. We all have to make sacrifices.

Oh, they may not choose to be gay per se, but this is America, and they do choose their lifestyles.

I refuse to believe that most gays want to marry. Many of them just want to try to piss on it for people who see marriage as a man-woman thing – you know, the way evolution intended.

And before any liberals here jump down my throat, I bear no animosity towards gays. Some of my best ex-friends are gay (and they were the ones who didn’t want anything to do with me when I became conservative). I still think they have a right to live their lives and have civil unions if they choose to make a legal commitment to another person. That will have to be enough.

And no little girl will hold sway over my opinion.

disa on May 27, 2011 at 10:36 PM

All that Santorum was saying is, court decisions based on broad fuzzy legal logic will have some unintended consequences down the road. They lend themselves to easy extrapolation.

RBMN on May 27, 2011 at 10:36 PM

This is your Hollyweird brain on peroxide. Any questions ?

Note to Santorum:

Suggested reply:

“You’re breaking my achy breaky heart foul airheaded spawn of a one-hit wonder.”

viking01 on May 27, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Pudgy, stoned white trash singer doesn’t like Christian conservative — film at 11!

Jaibones on May 27, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Actually Santorum & Miley Cyrus are just as smart.

Santorum is a big government stooge.

tetriskid on May 27, 2011 at 10:02 PM

That’s nonsense. A guy who was an early champion of welfare reform, is hardly a “big government stooge”.

Dreadnought on May 27, 2011 at 10:39 PM

IndieDogg on May 27, 2011 at 10:34 PM

It’s the mouthing off by yet another arrogant, superficial Hollywood elite–in this case a vapid young woman who is rapidly descending down the tubes.

INC on May 27, 2011 at 10:39 PM

What’s unpatriotic about speaking ones mind, stupid or not?

blatantblue on May 27, 2011 at 10:39 PM

I do love the whole “family values” bit too. The institution of marriage is so incredibly broken. Be against homo-marriage. Fine by me, but let’s not put straight relationships on some pedestal.

blatantblue on May 27, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Kind of a strange cause for a 19 year old girl to get bent out of shape over.

AZfederalist on May 27, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Celebs often try to be teachers/guides/gurus for the little people in the hinterlands.

itsnotaboutme on May 27, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Everybody in this situation is wrong. Rick Santorum is wrong for his weird comment about gay marriage. Miley Cyrus is wrong for going after Urban Outfitters just because they gave money to his campaign like a million other people have done. And Tina Korbe is wrong for attacking Miley Cyrus as some ungrateful hillbilly.

SoulGlo on May 27, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Little Miss Manufactured Starlet needs to shut her ignorant man-pleaser.

rayra on May 27, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Bigger story here is that the president of Urban Outfitters, Mecca to hipster douchebags and scene-kids everywhere, donated to Santorum. I never would have guessed, or at least I would have assumed that he’d avoid activities that would potentially alienate the O-bot horde that constitutes his client base.

Dead Hand Control on May 27, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Yep, the little girl has grown up into a full fledged entertainment flake. Only, sounds to me like she got upset about her profits.

hawkdriver on May 27, 2011 at 10:42 PM

I’m so relieved that another celebrity pop star airhead has contributed her vast knowledge and wisdom to the debate.

OhioCoastie on May 27, 2011 at 10:42 PM

[IndieDogg on May 27, 2011 at 10:34 PM]

You do realize your comment applies to your comment.

Dusty on May 27, 2011 at 10:43 PM

blatantblue on May 27, 2011 at 10:40 PM

You’re up the the blue NE. It colors your perspective. If marriages are broken, that doesn’t mean the institution is. It means people are not aware of its importance, and the consequences to society when it is not taken seriously.

INC on May 27, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Dreadnought on May 27, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Please remind me of a single spending program Santorum was ever against.

He need to go away.

He is a terrible parody of a social conservatism.

Conservatism is not stealing from group A to give to B. Santorum doesn’t understand that.

tetriskid on May 27, 2011 at 10:44 PM

the the s/b in the

INC on May 27, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Deal with it.

IndieDogg on May 27, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Physician, heal thyself.

conservative pilgrim on May 27, 2011 at 10:45 PM

I

ndieDogg on May 27, 2011 at 10:34 PM

And you can go P!ss off jacka@@! Yeah she has an opinion and yeah, she’s entitled to it. She also has a far more reaching audience than we “self-inflated” bloggers do. So if you don’t like our opinions, you are free to depart. Moron.

bernzright777 on May 27, 2011 at 10:45 PM

“… in this case a vapid young woman who is rapidly descending down the tubes. …”

[INC on May 27, 2011 at 10:39 PM]

At least she’s leaving some naked pictures to remember her by.

Dusty on May 27, 2011 at 10:46 PM

Well she’s obviously trying to transition from pre-teen heroine and Disney megastar into an MTV/Hollywood starlet, so this is entirely predictable. It’s a time-honored formula, and they always follow it so precisely that I honestly wonder if it’s written down in a manual somewhere.

Step #1: Drop wholesome TV persona and cultivate slutty stage image.

Step #2: Get “accidentally” filmed/photographed engaging in some illicit activity or other.

Step #3: Have vicious and very public falling-out with family, resulting in fierce competition to find out who can most severely humiliate themselves in the public eye in the shortest time.

Step #4: Start ripping conservatives and Republicans. And Christians, if you want extra points.

Step #5: Embrace some leftist cause or another, doesn’t really matter which one. Seems like gay marriage is the trendiest choice at the moment.

Step #6: Make out with Madonna.

Step #7: Get arrested and/or sent to rehab.

Step #8: COMEBACK TOUR!

…Or something like that, anyway.

Cylor on May 27, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Dusty on May 27, 2011 at 10:46 PM

Thanks, I knew I forgot one.

Cylor on May 27, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Please remind me of a single spending program Santorum was ever against.

[tetriskid on May 27, 2011 at 10:44 PM]

Welfare. He headed up the congressional group that gave us the Welfare Reform Act of 1996.

Dusty on May 27, 2011 at 10:52 PM

And when you buy tunes or merchandise from Cyrus, you end up financing a teenager who gives grown men lap dances, smokes hallucinogenic drugs, and pole dances on national television.

I’ll take Rick Santorum and his traditional view of marriage over that any day.

amerpundit on May 27, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Dusty on May 27, 2011 at 10:52 PM

He went nuts after that.

tetriskid on May 27, 2011 at 10:54 PM

Deal with it.

IndieDogg on May 27, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Wow. If you deliberately make your opinion public, you can be called on it — especially if it is unfounded and ridiculous from the start.

Deal with it.

Dlckless fuxk.

hillbillyjim on May 27, 2011 at 10:54 PM

Thanks, I knew I forgot one.

[Cylor on May 27, 2011 at 10:47 PM]

Welcome.

Dusty on May 27, 2011 at 10:55 PM

Hope she can somehow avoid the lonesome Lohan / Britney Road she’s veering towards.

viking01 on May 27, 2011 at 10:56 PM

He went nuts after that.

[tetriskid on May 27, 2011 at 10:54 PM]

Considering you made the challenge and were wrong, I hope you won’t mind if I take the above as just a continuation of a lazy, ignorant diatribe.

Dusty on May 27, 2011 at 10:58 PM

What’s unpatriotic about speaking ones mind, stupid or not?

blatantblue on May 27, 2011 at 10:39 PM

It just might depend upon what one says, wouldn’t you think?

You can be within the Constitution and still say unpatriotic things. Prove me wrong.

hillbillyjim on May 27, 2011 at 11:00 PM

viking01 on May 27, 2011 at 10:56 PM

I think it all to often, inevitable. And really, who cares? Let them wallow in their indulgences.

hawkdriver on May 27, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Dusty on May 27, 2011 at 10:58 PM

You don’t think there is anything wrong with Santorum supporting endless spending and ultimately attacking Toomey & supporting Arlen Spector?

I guess Lindsey Graham and John McCain are conservatives too because they did something conservative in 1994.

tetriskid on May 27, 2011 at 11:02 PM

I think “it’s” …

hawkdriver on May 27, 2011 at 11:02 PM

tetriskid on May 27, 2011 at 11:02 PM

I think she wants some examples of what you are claiming.

sharrukin on May 27, 2011 at 11:07 PM

hawkdriver on May 27, 2011 at 11:01 PM

I’m with you. Whether or not Cylly Mirus upends herself is of little concern to me. It amazes me, though, how many so-called thinkers around here want to jump to the defense of someone who has done nothing but sing a song or three and tweet their important selves into a self-inflated balloon of importance.

Eff ‘em all.

Just my two-cent rant for the day.

hillbillyjim on May 27, 2011 at 11:08 PM

Santorum is a hateful creep who has gone beyond the pale and compared gay people with people who have sex with animals. He lost big in his last election (60% to 40%) for that reason. And as much as the GOP tolerates him, they give people reason to vote for the Democrats.
The GOP toleration of homophobic insanity is a major reason why the Democratic Party’s crazy socialism is viable in elections.

thuja on May 27, 2011 at 11:10 PM

I guess Miley’s ACU rating is lower than Graham’s, Martinez’s, Dole’s and McConnells… too.

mankai on May 27, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Is there really anyone in the world that cares what she thinks other than her one hit father.

awadeck on May 27, 2011 at 11:18 PM

hawkdriver on May 27, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Yet I think of the four decade slow-motion train wreck called Michael Jackson where since he hardly could barely hold a microphone was singing “Oooh, baby, give me one more chance” totally oblivious to what “another chance” was. Same fate for Judy Garland and similar never blessed to know what just being a kid was like.

viking01 on May 27, 2011 at 11:21 PM

It’s already happened, people.

tikvah on May 27, 2011 at 11:21 PM

“Rick Santorum” shouldn’t want anyone searching his name on Google.

Just sayin’…

BocaJuniors on May 27, 2011 at 11:27 PM

tetriskid on May 27, 2011 at 11:02 PM

Could you elaborate on this? I am interested in your logic.

thuja on May 27, 2011 at 11:28 PM

thuja on May 27, 2011 at 11:10 PM

This is where you all will separate ways with true Conservatives. Supporting “totally” to the gay movement and all your objectives is a requirement for you all. Anyone not toeing the line is refuse. Count me in the refuse.

Santorum is a good man.

hawkdriver on May 27, 2011 at 11:30 PM

viking01 on May 27, 2011 at 11:21 PM

Sorry, looking for some sympathy and finding none.

hawkdriver on May 27, 2011 at 11:32 PM

thuja on May 27, 2011 at 11:10 PM

One word. RINOs. Progressive Republicans that so blurred the lines between Donks and Republicans, it didn’t matter who you voted for. But nice try pushing your agenda and acting like you cared about Conservative issues at the same time.

hawkdriver on May 27, 2011 at 11:35 PM

Santorum is a good man.

hawkdriver on May 27, 2011 at 11:30 PM

No, hawkdriver, Santorum is not a good man. It’s not that he opposed gay marriage. That’s a matter of legitimate debate. It’s that he vilified gays as less than human. His views are essentially those of the Nazis. His views are completely contemptible at that level.

I oppose imposing gay marriage by judicial fiat. I hold it must be done by the legislature. The official gay rights movement considers me as much as nutjob as they consider you. But there is a difference between opposing gay marriage and opposing gay people. Santorum opposes gay people.

thuja on May 27, 2011 at 11:41 PM

thuja on May 27, 2011 at 11:41 PM

Not only “is” Santorum a good man he, like many, many have been destroyed for not giving in to the movement; the mere premise.

“Gay” views on this very site if you oppose gay marriage while even expressing support for civil unions will win you a badge of bigot, homophobe, racist and “morally bankrupt”. I have been called all these things.

I see the gay movement as something more akin to the Nazi’s behavior.

hawkdriver on May 27, 2011 at 11:48 PM

Miley’s teh ghey?

Or does she want to marry her goldfish?

profitsbeard on May 28, 2011 at 12:05 AM

I see the gay movement as something more akin to the Nazi’s behavior.

hawkdriver on May 27, 2011 at 11:48 PM

Well, that is certainly a precious interpretation of history. Gays were just about the first victim of the Nazis.

By the way, I’m not sure which conservative here on Hotair is that strident on the issue of gay marriage versus gay unions. There some leftists like Ernesto who post frequently on gay topics. You shouldn’t care what they say about you. They are just here so we don’t talk to just ourselves. I have told Ernesto to stop helping me and other gay conservatives on gay issues. Needless to say, Ernesto doesn’t listen to me. I’m not even sure that I really want him to listen to me, because leftist flakes should be leftist flakes.

thuja on May 28, 2011 at 12:12 AM

[thuja on May 27, 2011 at 11:41 PM]

I never really followed Santorum’s career, but the few times I did hear him speak on the issue he gave me that impression. That’s the main I don’t like him.

Dusty on May 28, 2011 at 12:16 AM

[Dusty on May 28, 2011 at 12:16 AM]

D’oh … That’s the main reason I don’t like him.

Dusty on May 28, 2011 at 12:18 AM

Tina Fey has said she regrets satirizing Palin because she lost a lot of fans in the process. Miley Cyrus is on the same road it appears.

Christian Conservative on May 28, 2011 at 12:20 AM

thuja on May 28, 2011 at 12:12 AM

Actually gays were the first Nazi’s. The leadership of the Brownshirts and many of its members were openly homosexual

The homosexuality of Röhm and other SA leaders was made public to add “shock value”[16] even though the sexuality of Röhm and other named SA leaders had actually been known by Hitler and other Nazi leaders for years.[16]

sharrukin on May 28, 2011 at 12:34 AM

hillbillyjim on May 27, 2011 at 11:00 PM

She called out a politician. I hardly see how her tweet is unpatriotic.

blatantblue on May 28, 2011 at 12:35 AM

INC

Don’t act as if red states are leaps and bounds above anyone else in their state of marriages.

blatantblue on May 28, 2011 at 12:37 AM

sharrukin on May 28, 2011 at 12:34 AM

Your “logic” is as bad as Santorum’s. Two seconds of googling would get you you to the Night of the Long Knives and why your argument makes no sense:

thuja on May 28, 2011 at 12:45 AM

Aww! Isn’t that cute. 18 year old (born 11/23/92 according to Wikipedia) Miley Cyrus will be able to vote in her first Presidential election in 2012.

Seems like she might want to get a bit more experience with this voting thing, before she starts telling the world what she thinks of the potential Presidential candidates.

Why anybody would care what young Miley thinks about politics is a mystery to me.

wren on May 28, 2011 at 12:48 AM

thuja on May 28, 2011 at 12:45 AM

That was strategic decision by Hitler to rid himself of a threat to his own power which if you read your own link would tell you that.

He suddenly got religion about his openly homosexual friends when he had been fine with them for years. They put him into power and then he turned on them when they started to threaten him.

I guess if Stalin has Leon Trotsky killed in Mexico that suddenly makes Trotsky one of the good guys? I don’t think so.

sharrukin on May 28, 2011 at 12:50 AM

Yes, thanks Disney/ABC!

SouthernGent on May 28, 2011 at 12:51 AM

Maybe Miley should put down the bong long and let adults talk. Better yet, keep toking to prevent you from inserting your foot even further in.

Physics Geek on May 28, 2011 at 12:51 AM

YUCK, she needs to STFU and just sing/act. Not that she is good at either.

reshas1 on May 28, 2011 at 1:07 AM

Note to self: buy something at Urban Outfitters tomorrow

angryed on May 28, 2011 at 1:10 AM

Wow. Hollyweird’s afraid of little ole Santorum? LOL.

Maybe he really will catch fire, I certainly hope so.

Aslans Girl on May 27, 2011 at 10:04 PM

..they’re pretty much targeting everyone these days. They are even drawing a bead on Herman Cain.

The War Planner on May 28, 2011 at 1:12 AM

Um, if I were Rick Santorum, I’d worry about ANYONE Google searching for my name…

Inkblots on May 28, 2011 at 1:14 AM

Ms. Cyrus: you should take a lesson from Dolly Parton as to how she handles political opinions…

Khun Joe on May 28, 2011 at 1:17 AM

The real problem are parents that let their daughters look up to Miley Cyrus as a role model. Just like Britney Spears, she’s no role model for any decent girl.

As an aside, it makes sense that Keira Knightley doesn’t know who Santorum is, she’s British, why should she care?

Common Sense on May 28, 2011 at 1:33 AM

Unless your family isn’t a Catholicism-approved one man one woman family where people only have sex for procreation.

It's Vintage, Duh on May 28, 2011 at 2:03 AM

So this little whining creep is now important?
Let us see your grades.

pat on May 28, 2011 at 2:21 AM

Intact family? Her family has pimped her out for years. Blech.

Blake on May 27, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Exactly.

ButterflyDragon on May 28, 2011 at 2:36 AM

She can say what she wants, he can say what he wants and we’re entitled to reject both with our dollars and votes.

This however, this…this is troubling:

Hey, I like “Party in the U.S.A.”

Egad. ;)