DNC chair’s Buy American campaign starts with everyone but her

posted at 10:38 am on May 27, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Few things rankle in politics like politicians who accuse their opponents while they themselves commit the same supposed sins.  As chair of the Democratic Party, Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz gives us a perfect demonstration of this hypocrisy, as The Hill reported yesterday evening:

The chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee (DNC) appears to drive a foreign car, despite criticizing Republican presidential candidates for supposedly favoring foreign auto manufacturers.

Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla.), the chairwoman of the DNC, ripped into Republican presidential contenders who opposed President Obama’s 2009 bailouts for General Motors and Chrysler.

“If it were up to the candidates for president on the Republican side, we would be driving foreign cars; they would have let the auto industry in America go down the tubes,” she said at a breakfast for reporters organized by The Christian Science Monitor.

But according to Florida motor vehicle records, the Wasserman Schultz household owns a 2010 Infiniti FX35, a Japanese car whose parent company is Nissan, another Japanese company. The car appears to be hers, since its license plate includes her initials.

First, just how smart is it for Democrats to assume ownership of the still-unpopular bailouts?  The first loans to American car manufacturers came from the Bush administration.  Obama followed up with more bailout money, plus a couple of bankruptcies that strong-armed investors into bad deals that ended up as union bailouts.  Obama certainly owns some of the auto bailout, but one might think that Democrats would want to share the blame rather than make the case that Republicans would have balked at the bailouts — a position that would only help with voters in 2012.

Moreover, if Democrats want to push a Buy American political campaign, one would think that they’d check out the parking lot first to find someone who, you know, actually buys American.  For some people who need low cost and decent quality, there are few American options.  But Wasserman-Schultz hardly falls into that category, and the Infiniti is hardly a low-cost vehicle.  She even paid extra for a vanity plate with her initials on it.

I have no issue with people who decide to buy a car based on their specific needs, fiscal status, and perceptions of quality; I drive a Honda CRV, so I’m not going to lecture people on buying American.  Neither should Wasserman-Schultz, and to use “Buy American” as an attack against the sane opposition to government bailouts of private automakers shortly after climbing out of a Japanese luxury vehicle is the height of both demagoguery and hypocrisy.  And she’s the Democrat that the party chose as its chair.

Comments

She even paid extra for a vanity plate with her initials on it.

I’ll have to watch out for an Infiniti with “DEMB!TCH” on the tags. ya’ll do the same.

ted c on May 27, 2011 at 12:20 PM

I wanted to buy the Mazda 6 a few years ago, and went into the dealership to look at them. The sales manager was the guy who waited on me, and told me the 6 was a nice car but about half of his customers had traded theirs back in after less than a year, but everyone he put into a Mazda 3 was happy. The difference: The 6 is made in Flat Rock MI by the UAW. The 3 is made in Hiroshima, Japan, by nonunion [racial epithet suppressed]. I got the 3 and it’s the best car I’ve ever owned. I had to laugh because Mazda recently recalled several years’ worth of 6’s because of spiders infesting (and clogging with webs) the fuel return lines — a breed of spider found only in the environs of Flat Rock, MI. So, I’m betting the factory in Flat Rock isn’t a paragon of cleanliness either…

unclesmrgol on May 27, 2011 at 12:21 PM

She knows the MSM will not hold the Democrats accountable for anything.

They know that their ability to lie is no liability.

profitsbeard on May 27, 2011 at 12:22 PM

The whole thing is that most of the Japanese (and for that matter German) cars are made in America with only a few parts, such as the computer chips in the cars coming from Japan. It makes no sense for the Japanese and German to ship cars over to America when they can just manufacture them in the states. The only difference between a Detroit car and a foreign car (other than the obvious quality difference) is that the HQ for the foreign cars are outside the U.S. So this really isn’t about supporting the blue collar guys on the line, this is a campaign to support the Big Three CEOs and AFL-CIO.

And yes, I concur with all of those who said the best way for GM and Chrysler to compete is by manufacturing higher quality cars. I drive a Honda Civic, which is in good shape despite being five years old. My last Honda was still working well despite being ten years old and having 150,000+ miles on it.

Illinidiva on May 27, 2011 at 12:23 PM

I drive a Subaru Outback “Team Crafted in Indiana” by non-union workers, where does that leave me?

jnelchef on May 27, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Yep, heard good things about Outbacks. Hope to own one some day.

slickwillie2001 on May 27, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Come to think of it, she does look like an escapee from a casting call for the new version of “V”.

pilamaye on May 27, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Much worse: Punishment

slickwillie2001 on May 27, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Let’s see. She drives an Infiniti FX model — proudly made in Japan in total contradiction to her barbed comment. That car costs about as much ($44K) as an American family’s annual income, pre-tax.

If Wasserman-Schultz is truly interested in helping low income Americans, she could trade in her Infiniti, donate the money to help an entire family (or two, depending on income) for a year, and buy a clunker. The only problem is that clunkers are now very hard to come by — she’d have to buy a beater car — the next class below the clunker.

unclesmrgol on May 27, 2011 at 12:26 PM

+100 profitsbeard

Spot on

cmsinaz on May 27, 2011 at 12:30 PM

I’m not sure if anyone has brought this up… but check out Iowahawk’s twitter feed for more fun.

Illinidiva on May 27, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Illinidiva on May 27, 2011 at 12:23 PM

2002 Ford Sport Trac, 240,000 miles. Maintenance costs (excluding gas, tires, oil and filters)….$0.

Thats right. Except for the wear items, nothing has broken. Oh, there was the left front hub bearing that started singing around the 220k mark. Fixed it myself.

Previous to that, I had a 1992 Ford Explorer. Ran like a top, looked brand new (after about a decade in MN and WI..miraculous). Miles at the time of trade? Something over 300k. The salesman thought I was a liar.

Worst car I ever owned? 2001 (or 2002) Chrysler 300M. had it for 2 years, never stopped replacing parts.

BobMbx on May 27, 2011 at 12:31 PM

If Republicans had any sense of humor, and any creativity, they’d start a Draft Wasserman-Hyphen for President Facebook page, and just go with her greatest hits.

Too bad they don’t…

MNHawk on May 27, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Rush made a good point in defense of her. She does use a domestic brand of mayonaisse in her hair.

jeffn21 on May 27, 2011 at 12:34 PM

iowahawkblog David Burge

How does #TGMTDWS get through the performance of his “marital duty?” He just lies back and thinks of Bea Arthur.

22 minutes ago

Oh…my….

MNHawk on May 27, 2011 at 12:34 PM

We just sold our 2000 Kia Sephia and 2001 Ford Taurus to a family of Gypsies and bought a 2004 Nissan Xterra. I’m very happy with it so far.

mizflame98 on May 27, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Iowahawk isn’t the only one in on this. Funny funny stuff for a Friday. :-)

MNHawk on May 27, 2011 at 12:38 PM

I buy American goods…when the quality is worth a hoot.

Asian copycats are kicking our butts in quantity and an alphabet soup of places make things in better quality. It’s not a good situation.

Uncle Sams Nephew on May 27, 2011 at 12:40 PM

I didn’t know that hair came with a name…

MNHawk on May 27, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Could I make a personal request of the webmaster that we maybe not actually use a picture of her for these blog entries?

With thanks for everyone interested keeping down their breakfast.

Insert witty screen name here on May 27, 2011 at 12:45 PM

jeffn21 on May 27, 2011 at 12:34 PM

That would make for some really nasty knickers…

Seven Percent Solution on May 27, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Too bad they don’t…

MNHawk on May 27, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Done.

BobMbx on May 27, 2011 at 12:54 PM

The only person who could make Pelosi seem reasonable…

right2bright on May 27, 2011 at 12:58 PM

ted c on May 27, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Now, that right there was funny, I don’t care who y’ar.

esnap on May 27, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Huskerdiva – YOU ARE SO RIGHT – She really is WENDY WHINER alive and in person. I wish some reporter would ask her if she has diverticulitis.

IlonaE on May 27, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Buying an Infiniti was probably the only smart thing that moronic woman ever did.

I have an Infiniti and I LOVE it!

hollygolightly on May 27, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Hey, my Shamwow’s are great!

ultracon on May 27, 2011 at 1:07 PM

If she owned a pre-bailout model year foreign car, I might give her a pass, but…..

She specifically purchased this car after the bailouts, thus proving that she has no interest in domestic car makers success.

SouthernRoots on May 27, 2011 at 1:12 PM

There are no cars that are purely American. They’re extinct. There are only some cars that are built in American assembly plants.

FlatFoot on May 27, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Does that woman ever wash her hair?

petefrt on May 27, 2011 at 1:18 PM

there is some funny shizzat rollin’ up on TGMTDWS twitter feed….

ted c on May 27, 2011 at 1:19 PM

What a stupid, stupid person.

Perfect face for the Democratic Party.

Captain Kirock on May 27, 2011 at 1:20 PM

I’ve owned exactly 1 American car. It was a POS. I will never own one again.

angryed on May 27, 2011 at 1:21 PM

iowahawkblog David Burge

22 minutes ago

hhhhehehe

ted c on May 27, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Did someone point out to her that many of the so-called “foreign” cars are made in USA now?

Prolly not.

Look. What she really means is “let’s shame the American people into buying UNION MADE cars.

And even so, that freakin’ Infiniti is not Union made.

The new DEMONcRAT game: Morality Limbo. … and they’re winning, hands down.

moochy on May 27, 2011 at 1:31 PM

jeffn21 on May 27, 2011 at 12:34 PM

She should try butter. It worked for Moe Howard!

Del Dolemonte on May 27, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Del Dolemonte on May 27, 2011 at 1:48 PM

I don’t care what anybody says. Shemp was my favorite. Curly was a piker.

Lanceman on May 27, 2011 at 1:54 PM

This woman is too stupid to know that a lot of Americans are boycotting GM and Chrysler because of the bailouts. I love my 2003 GMC Yukon, but I fear I will have to learn to like a Lincoln Navigator when my car bites the dust. However, 166K miles on it and it still runs great. I am going to run this puppy into the ground, and then take it behind the barn and shoot it when it finally gives it up on me.

karenhasfreedom on May 27, 2011 at 2:09 PM

She’ll never understand the hypocrisy in her statement… because she didn’t really mean it. It was just a random dart in the dem box of lies.

Plus… Dems never, EVER admit any hypocrisy of their own… Even to themselves.

RalphyBoy on May 27, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Her impertinence is close to Infinity.

Schadenfreude on May 27, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Where is the R commercial with this? from now until Nov. 2012…

Schadenfreude on May 27, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Support Ford.

Schadenfreude on May 27, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Rush calls the DNC chair Debbie Blabbermouth-Schultz and this is a good example why.

I am car shopping now and I won’t even consider a commie car frmo GM or Chrysler. Maybe Ford, but I still don’t want to sppport the UAW. I read somewhere that an on average an American car costs $2,000 more than a Japanese car because of labor costs.

xrayiiis on May 27, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Does Chrysler even count as a domestic auto maker now, it’s 46% owned by Fiat…

That aint your grandfathers Chrysler…

Keith_Indy on May 27, 2011 at 3:01 PM

DNC Chair = boring, lying, do as I say…

Khun Joe on May 27, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Deer, meet headlights….chuckle

percysunshine on May 27, 2011 at 3:38 PM

michaelo on May 27, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Um, notfernuthin, but “known for its quality?”

Seriously?

The most recalled car in automotive history?

PJ Emeritus on May 27, 2011 at 3:48 PM

You folks in the rest of the United States are now finding out what we here in Florida knew all along: Debbie Wasserman-Schultz is an idiot.

Carl on May 27, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Maybe Ford, but I still don’t want to support the UAW. I read somewhere that an on average an American car costs $2,000 more than a Japanese car because of labor costs.

xrayiiis on May 27, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Good point. I love my Jeep but won’t buy any more from GM or Chrysler. I was looking at Ford, but I agree about UAW.

petefrt on May 27, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Illinidiva on May 27, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Not the Infiniti FX. ALL FX models are built at Nissan Motor Company’s plant in Tochigi, Japan.

The Dingbat had to look long and hard to find a gas guzzling (14 MPG) mid-size luxury SUV made exclusively in Japan.

Sorry but The Dingbat bought a car known as the “giant scarab” that has nothing to do with the big three (even though Ford did not take a bailout) or blue collar guys on the line! She shafted them all!

DSchoen on May 27, 2011 at 5:02 PM

I own several vehicles…I am an equal-opportunity offender:

Two domestics
An Acura TL…assembled in Ohio…
…and a Kraut-mobile…assembled by the fine folks in Tuscaloosa, Alabama!

As comedian Jack Dee once said on an episode of Top Gear:

If you’re to a point where you have so little going on in your life that you can start to campaign to stop people driving certain kinds of cars, you’ve got to have a closer look at your own life…

Tak_Bulgogi on May 27, 2011 at 5:21 PM

“If it were up to the candidates for president on the Republican side, we would be driving foreign cars; they would have let the auto industry in America go down the tubes,” she said at a breakfast for reporters organized by The Christian Science Monitor.

Except Ford didn’t take a bailout.
Ultimately GM and Chrysler had to reorganize as any bankrupt company would have.
It appears that the bailout was unnecessary, it only kept non-productive Union employees paid.

DSchoen on May 27, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Nothing unexpected here. She is a Democrat, which is just another term for lying hypocrite. However, given her penchant for sticking her foot in her mouth and saying extraordinarily stupid things, she’s also a dimwit.

Webrider on May 27, 2011 at 5:45 PM

I’ll say it again – buying a GM or a Ford, you’re giving your money to the UAW, who then gives it to the democrat party.

Just say NO to unions.

Rebar on May 27, 2011 at 5:52 PM

DSchoen on May 27, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Also, bondholders got robbed, and property rights got raped.

petefrt on May 27, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Debbie Wasserman Schultz is the secret love child of Howard Dean and Nancy Pelosi. Insanity from Dad’s side, and a cold lying b**** from Mom’s. Dumb enough to think people actually believe her when she’s lying …….God’s own gift to Republicans……

adamsmith on May 27, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Another liberal biatch – media are shameless in the article.

Schadenfreude on May 27, 2011 at 9:00 PM

I will restore my 1971 Ford F-100 and my other older vehicles before I give a dime to ANY automakers including Government Motors 1 and Government Motors 2.

hamradio on May 28, 2011 at 5:43 AM

I am a GM guy. Own a Chevy Equinox. Have had great success with it too, and the Chevy dealership has treated me right. But I probably wont buy GM again. I pay union dues with every GM product I buy. I dont like that. I could get a comparable Toyota or Honda cheaper because of the lack of unions. I like supporting Americans. And Toyota and some other Japanese makers have factories in the US. But we shall see what we shall see.

abcurtis on May 28, 2011 at 8:50 AM

jeffn21 on May 27, 2011 at 12:34 PM

She uses Lot of Lard Palmade.

mizflame98 on May 28, 2011 at 9:12 AM

What is with the blonde nappy hair?

Wade on May 28, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Not sure if it’s been said yet, but this is a perfect example of the old adage regarding liberals, “if it wasn’t for double standards, they wouldn’t have any standards at all.”

rmel80 on May 28, 2011 at 11:16 PM

A whole chicken! You could fry a WHOLE CHICKEN in that woman’s hair!!

fulldroolcup on May 29, 2011 at 12:09 AM

You have to look at it from the rich, liberal viewpoint.
DWS is very important. You are not. Any similar rich liberal (DKS, George Soros, etc. etc) are very important. You are not.

Unimportant people were put on earth solely for the purpose of attending to and servicing the important and therefor you cannot expect ordinary laws, rules and regulations to apply to DWS and DKS or BHO.

Taxes. Almost no Democrats pay taxes. The rich because of friends in congress, the courts the White House and the Fourth Estate. The poor because they are protected by the internal Revenue Code. Therefore, in typical class warfare, the Democrats break the backs of the middles class (very very unimportant people)to subsidize the poor.

Buying cars: Oh, there are exceptions, of course-Toyota had brake problems etc. But, essentially, foreign cars are better made-not made by overpaid union loafers zonked out on dope half the time. Despite the fact that almost all of these union employees vote Democratic, the leadership screws their own constituents by buying foreign. You can’t expect Democratic VIPs to buy inferior products, can you?

On Mistreating Peasants: Inferior people were placed here on earth solely for the enjoyment of the ruling classes. Period. Therefor when a rustic Nubian maid from Africa, resists the advances of one of the privileged, it must be understood that symbolically SHE RAPED HIM!!!!!

On energy consumption: Applies only to the masses not to Price Al and the Democratic Elite.

On substandard socialized medical care: This was to cement the illegal alien vote in future elections. But no self-respecting Kings , Queens, Barons, Baronesses, Dukes or Duchesses or Earls of the Democratic Party would ever allow themselves to be treated by this third world horror show of inefficiency, incompetence, waste,and mistaken-ridden medical treatment. Democrats would rather be water boarded than to face the harsh consequences of Obamacare.

MaiDee on May 29, 2011 at 1:08 PM

This woman is way better than Howard Dean.

AshleyTKing on May 29, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Thank You! Democrats.
She is the perfect voice for your “cause.”
If she ever bails out on you (or is booted!), may I suggest the Weener from NY or that nutball from Florida.

shorebird on May 30, 2011 at 12:38 AM

Hey I’ll buy American, as long as it doesn’t have the Union Label.

ic1redeye on May 30, 2011 at 12:56 AM

This reminds me of the AlGorian celebrities telling Americans that SUVs are bad for earth, yet later it was revealed these very celebs were owners of SUVs.

jediwebdude on May 30, 2011 at 7:21 AM

…if Democrats want to push a Buy American political campaign, one would think that they’d check out the parking lot first to find someone who, you know, actually buys American. For some people who need low cost and decent quality, there are few American options. But Wasserman-Schultz hardly falls into that category, and the Infiniti is hardly a low-cost vehicle. She even paid extra for a vanity plate with her initials on it.

This is beyond funny. Especially the vanity plates. Just beyond funny.

Lourdes on May 30, 2011 at 8:43 AM

The mantra from the dems when Michael Steele was the chair for the GOP was always how dumb he is. Now that the DNC has been blessed with Debbie Wasserface, his intellegence factor seems to be that of a brain surgeon in comparison.

gunter on May 30, 2011 at 8:57 AM

There are photos of a lot of pols in low domestic content autos. I am not at all surprised at Deb in a Lexus. If Hitler were making Beetles people like her would buy them. Hey, they were good rides in their time…

IlikedAUH2O on May 30, 2011 at 11:28 AM