Report: Rick Perry thinking of jumping into GOP race

posted at 4:20 pm on May 25, 2011 by Allahpundit

It’d be hard for him to say no. Romney, Pawlenty, and Huntsman will split the centrist vote, so there’s an opportunity on the right for a prominent conservative to swoop in and consolidate the base. That’s what Palin’s going to try to do, leveraging her higher name recognition to swamp Bachmann and Cain in Iowa, but Perry would be a major challenge for her. In fact, given his record on jobs, he may even pull some votes from the centrists.

Coming soon to a debate near you?

With conservatives aching for more choices in the approaching 2012 Republican primary, Perry declined Tuesday to rule out a White House bid during a press conference about a new anti-abortion measure. Also Tuesday, his top strategist told the Tribune that the governor is, naturally, “thinking about it” given the flattering comments made recently by some in the GOP, although he “doesn’t see any change in his direction.”…

The Perry camp is still telegraphing the notion that the default position is not to run, but it’s safe to say they have cracked the door open, at least a little bit, over the last week. Specific wording matters — a lot — in these speculative political matters…

“Obviously, it’s flattering to have everybody, Rush Limbaugh and all these other conservative, right-of-center leaders, talk about you, urging you to think about it, urging you to run, saying they support you. But I don’t see any difference in terms of the governor’s thinking,” [Perry strategist Dave] Carney said.

“I’m sure he’s thinking about it because it’s just human nature when you have Rush Limbaugh spend 20 minutes talking about you and have all these other people mention you, that you don’t sort of think that’s flattering and think about it. But I don’t see any change in his direction, what he’s planning to do.”

That’s not all. Laura Ingraham told Mike Pence on the air this morning that a source in Texas who’s tapped into political circles insists that Perry will announce his candidacy in the coming days. Skip ahead to 2:20 of the clip below to listen. If that’s true, he needs to get in ASAP and ride the buzz for as long as he can before Palin announces and the media stampedes to cover her instead. In fact, he may be thinking that if he jumps in now, it may convince Palin that her path to the nomination is too difficult and that it’s not worth running after all. Granted, that’s highly unlikely given that there’s a candidate-approved Palin movie rolling out in Iowa next month, but he gains nothing by waiting.

Exit question: What does this do for Pawlenty’s chances? T-Paw might be the only “centrist” who ends up campaigning hard in Iowa, so if grassroots conservatives there end up splitting between Perry, Palin, and the dark horses, he could squeak through. On the other hand, Pawlenty’s niche is as the electable “Not Romney” candidate, and once Perry is in, that niche will have two members. What’s the argument for T-Paw then?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

a solid choice

rob verdi on May 25, 2011 at 4:44 PM

I say “Go Perry! Beat Barry!”

ThePrez on May 25, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Nah, she’ll still run. I wouldn’t be surprised to see both of them wind up on the ticket, order to be determined later.

Doughboy on May 25, 2011 at 4:46 PM

He should absolutely run. Would probably be who I’d vote for out of the current crop.

nickj116 on May 25, 2011 at 4:48 PM

He’s probably a squish on border security. Didn’t he oppose the Arizona bill?

Jon0815 on May 25, 2011 at 4:48 PM

A fiscal, defense, social, borders conservative who likes to remind people about the 10th Amendment and is a staunch supporter of state rights.

Could it be?

amerpundit on May 25, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Palin and Perry are good friends and long-time political partners. Perry could be a stalking horse for Palin if nothing else, like Fred Thompson was for John McCain (that was the rumor anyway).

JonPrichard on May 25, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Palin is polling ahead of Perry in TEXAS.

huckleberryfriend on May 25, 2011 at 4:49 PM

He’s created or saved a lot more jobs than the bumbling Obama the past couple years.

JammieWearingFool on May 25, 2011 at 4:49 PM

He’s probably a squish on border security. Didn’t he oppose the Arizona bill?

Jon0815 on May 25, 2011 at 4:48 PM

He did. I wanna chalk that up to political expediency since he was up for reelection when he did it. Not that that’s a good defense, but it’s better than the alternative which is that he’s pro-amnesty.

Doughboy on May 25, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Perry is pretty much the only person I can think of that would take my vote away from Cain.

ButterflyDragon on May 25, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Do it!. It would be what is needed- a clear choice with a candidate who has an extensive and favorable record, versus President Failure.
Now just select Thad McCotter as Veep, Gov. Perry, and lets rock.

jjshaka on May 25, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Doughboy on May 25, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Possibly so. Or she considers him conservative enough to abstain. All the same, I would like her to run, just to see the libtard ANDABP heads explode.

AH_C on May 25, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Run Rick Run!

He would be my first choice hands down.

gophergirl on May 25, 2011 at 4:51 PM

If we run another governor from Texas, who looks and sounds a lot like George W. Bush, that’s like putting a wiffle ball on a tee for Obama. No thank you.

I like Perry. He’d make an excellent Cabinet secretary.

KingGold on May 25, 2011 at 4:51 PM

He’s not running. She is.

rrpjr on May 25, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Palin is polling ahead of Perry in TEXAS.
huckleberryfriend on May 25, 2011 at 4:49 PM

huckleberryfriend on May 25, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Laura Ingraham told Mike Pence on the air this morning

That’s “right wing slut” Laura Ingraham, please use her proper title.

Bishop on May 25, 2011 at 4:52 PM

“I don’t want to be president of the United States. I’m not going to run for the presidency of the United States,” Perry told Reuters in an interview in the Texas state capital.

Perry has been coy about his aspirations and said repeatedly that he has the “best job in America.” But his remarks to Reuters were among his most emphatic comments on the subject to date.

Yes, it’s a few months old. Still, when someone says “no,” I tend to wait for something more than “he refused to rule out a run” to see a “yes.”

But maybe that’s just me.

cs89 on May 25, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Get in. Do it. He can actually bring enthusiasm into this. I will support him.

Southernblogger on May 25, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Perry/Rubio!!!!!!!
Make Obama freak!

And if Sarah Palin appears with Rick Perry when he announces to endorse him, I win a cookie.

Marcus on May 25, 2011 at 4:53 PM

If Perry does throw his hat into the ring and Palin does not, Perry will definitely have my vote. Being from TX I say….Hail yeah! Could possibly be a Palin/Perry or Perry/Palin ticket??????

sicoit on May 25, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Pawlenty and Perry would both be great Presidents.

JohnJ on May 25, 2011 at 4:53 PM

huckleberryfriend on May 25, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Yeah, um, Huckabee and Trump were still listed as candidates in that poll.

And you’re really going to trust a poll that has Gingrich listed so high?

nickj116 on May 25, 2011 at 4:53 PM

I’d say that if the signs are pretty strong that Palin’s going to run, Perry won’t.

pseudoforce on May 25, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Blah, blah, blah. Can any politician give a straight answer to a straight question? This kind of tap dancing and recitation of talking points is exactly what Americans are sick of!

walkingboss on May 25, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Rick Perry would be a formidable candidate with an undeniable track record. But my sense is the only reason why RINOs like AP are excited about him entering the race has to do with him splitting the conservative vote to enable one of the RINOs like Pawlenty or Romney to win. So with that understood, I stand for Perry if and only if Palin doesn’t run. Since its pretty much a foregone conclusion she’s in, I won’t support Perry to allow a RINO to win.

milemarker2020 on May 25, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Perry has already said that if Palin doesn’t run, he will, but if she does, he won’t, but will endorse her

ConservativePartyNow on May 25, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Yes, fine, but does he have a 2-hour feature film of his ascendancy?

John the Libertarian on May 25, 2011 at 4:56 PM

I like Perry. He’d make an excellent Cabinet secretary.

KingGold on May 25, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Perry most definitely does not sound like Dubya, accent aside. If you thought Herman Cain was enthusiastic and hyper on the stump, wait til you get a load of this guy. Dude reminds me of Rev. Brown in Coming To America the way he contorts when he speaks.

I saw Perry and Palin appear together at a rally on Super Bowl Sunday 2010(back when he was running against Kay Bailey for the nomination for governor) and you won’t find a pair of more dynamic speakers in the GOP than those two.

Doughboy on May 25, 2011 at 4:56 PM

This Fort Worth-ite says Perry/Palin would be a God-send…

UncleFodder on May 25, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Perry? eh. whatever.
Live in Tx. He’s better than the dems he has beaten.
But I think he would stumble a lot on the national stage.
And stumble if elected.
Just not that tested, and I don’t think he would pass if he was.

tomg51 on May 25, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Perry opposes the border fence.

Jon0815 on May 25, 2011 at 4:57 PM

I like Perry. He’d make an excellent Cabinet secretary.
KingGold on May 25, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Bull! Leave it to a squish to be afraid of a record of creating JOBS unlike any other state in the nation. Obama hates Perry! Perry hates Obama! You are insane – Perry would relish going for the throat.

Marcus on May 25, 2011 at 4:58 PM

I would like her to run, just to see the libtard ANDABP heads explode.

AH_C on May 25, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Libs would be jumping for joy. It’s their wet dream.

Go RBNY on May 25, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Yeah, um, Huckabee and Trump were still listed as candidates in that poll.

And you’re really going to trust a poll that has Gingrich listed so high?

nickj116 on May 25, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Has anyone seen a poll since Huckabee dropped out and Gingrich crashed and burned? I wonder why that is?

idesign on May 25, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Jim-Rose on May 25, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Governor Perry has championed an immigration bill that almost tore the Texas House of Representatives apart before it was passed.

The original bill would allow local police to question anyone they detain about their citizenship status.

However, it was derailed yesterday as a key Senate committee voted to take out the police enforcement measure that “concerned” citizens had packed a committee room to testify against.

The proposed legislation, nicknamed the “sanctuary cities” bill, had been declared an emergency by Gov. Rick Perry and had naturally been the center of a passionate and racially charged verbal donnybrook.

Leading up to the Texas House’s vote, there were a lot of differing opinions about the purpose of the bill.

The bill’s author, Republican Burt Solomons, said:

It simply prevents cities from telling officers to turn a blind eye to violators of federal law.

House Democrats disagreed. State Representative Trey Martinez Fischer told reporters:

It’s the largest anti-Hispanic bill I’ve seen in Texas.

Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo told a House committee in March:

At a time with dwindling resources, we’re very concerned with placing the job of the federal government in the hands of state and local” entities. Quite frankly, I’m not sure what we’re trying to fix.

When asked about some police chiefs opposing the measure, Perry referred reports back to the last Election.

My response is that I hope they were paying attention on the second day of November, 2010, when the people of the state of Texas said pretty clearly that they wanted to have a sanctuary city prohibition in our statute. I talked a lot about it during the campaign.

cynccook on May 25, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Libs would be jumping for joy. It’s their wet dream.

Go RBNY on May 25, 2011 at 4:58 PM

No it isn’t. That’s bluster. Huntsman’s their wet dream.

pseudoforce on May 25, 2011 at 4:59 PM

He has said often enough that he isn’t running. That could be skewing the poll that was cited about him way down the list.

I’ll wait until he declares before I get excited. But, if Palin is standing on one side and Ted Nugent is standing on the other during any upcoming speech of his…

cozmo on May 25, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Woot! All my academic ultralib friends here in Texas are going to be spitting nails. I would so love it if he knocks their affirmative-action pet grad student off his presidential perch.

Fortunata on May 25, 2011 at 5:00 PM

I’d prefer him over the current set of candidates, hands down.

changer1701 on May 25, 2011 at 5:00 PM

This will be disastrous for my poll numbers!!

Generic Republican on May 25, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Palin is polling ahead of Perry in TEXAS.

huckleberryfriend on May 25, 2011 at 4:49 PM

That’s because we want him to stay in TEXAS!

annoyinglittletwerp on May 25, 2011 at 5:01 PM

That’s pretty much one of the reasons the pundits will be pushing Perry over the next few weeks.

pseudoforce on May 25, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Recent news (5/19/2011) about the Texas anti-sanctuary city bill that Perry supports:

cynccook on May 25, 2011 at 5:02 PM

cozmo on May 25, 2011 at 4:59 PM

It could happen. I forgot that Ted Nugent was also at that Super Bowl Sunday rally. So was Michael Williams(who’s running for Kay Bailey’s Senate seat next year), although he didn’t speak that day.

Doughboy on May 25, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Don’t do it, Rick. We need you to run for President of The Republic of Texas next November if the GOP nominates another RINO. Be honest, Rick, even a Texan can’t change DC, so hold out until the Texas legislature files deevorce papers on Obama and then run for POTROT. OK, the acronym lacks something but we can work on that. Be the modern Sam Houston.

JimP on May 25, 2011 at 5:02 PM

I’d support Perry for President if he decides to run.

I disagree that he’s opposed to the border fence, though, since he is on record many times requesting “the border be secured”, including yesterday on Greta Van Susteren’s show on FOX.

I’m not familiar with Perry opposing a border fence but perhaps there’s more to this story than simply that. For example, I’m very much pro-border-security (whatever it takes, get this problem solved without considering any amnesty for illegal aliens), but I was consistently outspoken against the now-abandoned idea of “high tech border fencing” that involved a lot of expensive video taping of the border crimes, resulting in…a lot of tapes of border crimes afterward but no cessation of the crimes themselves.

So perhaps Perry has more details about a border fence idea.

I’d support Perry for President.

Lourdes on May 25, 2011 at 5:02 PM

That’s because we want him to stay in TEXAS!

annoyinglittletwerp on May 25, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Ok, so she’ll let him.

the_nile on May 25, 2011 at 5:03 PM

UncleFodder on May 25, 2011 at 4:56 PM
sicoit on May 25, 2011 at 4:53 PM

You realize Palin will never again be on the bottom of the ticket, right?

sleepy-beans on May 25, 2011 at 5:03 PM

cynccook on May 25, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Good news!

Lourdes on May 25, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Perry opposes the border fence.

Jon0815 on May 25, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Look folks, there’s not a candidate out there (not even Palin) that’s 100%. Reagan wasn’t even perfect. I’m getting worried that we’re going to keep shooting everyone down until we find this fabled perfect candidate and in the end we’ll end up with nothing. Let’s get a grip.

Jim-Rose on May 25, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Ok, so she’ll let him.

the_nile on May 25, 2011 at 5:03 PM
Works for me.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 25, 2011 at 5:04 PM

I’ve been crossing my fingers for a Perry candidacy for the last two years; he’s one of the only candidates capable of uniting and exciting the party. Needless to say, he has my vote if he runs (unless Ryan gets in too, then I’d really be torn).

Lawdawg86 on May 25, 2011 at 5:04 PM

cynccook on May 25, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Good news!

Lourdes on May 25, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Aach. Not good news that it’s derailed but good news that Perry supports it. Keep trying till you get this thing done.

Lourdes on May 25, 2011 at 5:05 PM

ConservativePartyNow on May 25, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Interesting. Link?

cs89 on May 25, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Ya know, at this point in time, with the way the country has been going since Odumba$$ took “control”, many of us have changed in many ways. Why do people think that because someone did/said something 2,3,4,5, etc. years ago, that their thoughts/actions have not changed for the better? I don’t get it….

AUSTIN (May 24, 2011)–Gov. Rick Perry celebrated the passage of a law that requires doctors to conduct sonograms before abortions in formal signing ceremony Tuesday in Austin, saying the bill would save the lives of thousands of unborn Texans.

Perry declared the measure emergency legislation and had already officially signed the bill into law.

sicoit on May 25, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Jim-Rose on May 25, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Amen. It almost makes you wonder what their true motives are, doesn’t it?

cynccook on May 25, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Lourdes on May 25, 2011 at 5:05 PM

LOL I knew what you meant!

cynccook on May 25, 2011 at 5:06 PM

You realize Palin will never again be on the bottom of the ticket, right?

sleepy-beans on May 25, 2011 at 5:03 PM

I’m inclined to say that about anyone but Perry. They’re real tight. If both are hellbent on running, I could see them eventually working out some sort of deal(privately of course) where one endorses the other in exchange for the VP slot. Because the likely alternative is they split the conservative vote allowing Mittens to win the nomination. I know neither of them wants that.

Doughboy on May 25, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Windswept In The Heartland

Nearly Nobody on May 25, 2011 at 5:07 PM

You realize Palin will never again be on the bottom of the ticket, right?

sleepy-beans on May 25, 2011 at 5:03 PM

And the one time she gets to the top will be her last?

KingGold on May 25, 2011 at 5:07 PM

I’d prefer him over the current set of candidates, hands down.

changer1701 on May 25, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Yes, me, too.

At this rate, though, I think it behooves us all to support whoever takes the lead and keep the support going. I do mean that, despite our various favored candidates, we on the Right need to close ranks as soon as possible and get this next election wrapped up. Gotta’ change things November 2012, gotta’ do it.

Lourdes on May 25, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Praise God. Best news I’ve had for awhile.

Run, Perry, Run!

As for the exit question: who cares?

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on May 25, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Yes, me, too.

Lourdes on May 25, 2011 at 5:08 PM

What she said!

annoyinglittletwerp on May 25, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Lourdes on May 25, 2011 at 5:05 PM

LOL I knew what you meant!

cynccook on May 25, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Ohhh, good, I was checking back in expectation of heavy pounding…

Lourdes on May 25, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Doughboy on May 25, 2011

That would be an incredibly strong ticket. We could fight for a crew like that.

JonPrichard on May 25, 2011 at 5:10 PM

You realize Palin will never again be on the bottom of the ticket, right?

sleepy-beans on May 25, 2011 at 5:03 PM

I disagree. I believe Sarah Palin will do whatever it takes to get this great country of ours back on track. Even if she is nominated for VP again….the difference is she would not be running with a RINO like McClame.

sicoit on May 25, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Sorry, but Perry is nothing but an opportunist who uses conservative rhetoric to advance his own career. He is no more an ideological conservative than Romney. Case in point is the bill, championed by Perry, that just passed the Texas legislature requiring a sonogram to be performed before every abortion. Even as someone opposed to abortion, I find this new law abhorrent. Early term abortion is a legal procedure. If you want to work to make abortion illegal, more power to you. But don’t add more layers of government regulation (and expense) as some kind of a back door way to discourage the practice. This is pure political pandering to a group (single-issue pro lifers) that’s not going to support Democrats anyway, and it will most assuredly alienate the fiscally conservative, socially agnostic/moderate, limited-government advocates who gave such a boost to Republicans in November 2010. Ditto for Perry’s executive order in 2007 mandating that all sixth grade girls in Texas receive a vaccine against the human papillomavirus. If Obama did such a thing the Tea Party crowd would take to the streets in a matter of hours.

Yes, Perry has kept taxes low, restrained spending and made great progress on tort reform. But that was all in the service of Perry, and not in the service of his principles.

texasentrepreneur on May 25, 2011 at 5:11 PM

You realize Palin will never again be on the bottom of the ticket, right?

sleepy-beans on May 25, 2011 at 5:03 PM

And the one time she gets to the top will be her last?

KingGold on May 25, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Bottom, top…I’d take Palin any way I could get!

OFF THE CHAIN! Sorry, just couldn’t resist! Hope Todd doesn’t see this.

Jim-Rose on May 25, 2011 at 5:11 PM

What about Rick Perry/Paul Ryan? A Texas tiger and a Wisconsin Badger? That might put the fear of Dog into an Illinois weenie….

cynccook on May 25, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Palin is polling ahead of Perry in TEXAS.
huckleberryfriend on May 25, 2011 at 4:49 PM

If Perry actually got into the race, Texas GOP voters would overwhelmingly prefer their own 10-year Governor to a 2-1/2 year former Governor of Alaska.

But neither Texas nor Alaska are a big problem for the eventual GOP nominee. A long, solid record on jobs and fiscal restraint are a big plus for Perry, as well as long, solid executive experience (longer than Palin and Romney combined, or George W. Bush in 2000, for that matter). Perry wouldn’t have to live down the “quitter” label that has dogged Palin, nor would he have to dodge around the health-care issue like Romney.

Texas, like Alaska, is heavily invested in the oil and gas industry, which would enable Perry to speak knowledgeably about Palin’s strongest issue. Perry could also speak knowledgeably about immigration and border issues, as Governor of the state with the longest border with Mexico.

Fairly or unfairly, Sarah Palin has somehow become toxic with Independent voters, some of whom the GOP nominee will need to defeat Obama in November 2012. Rick Perry, with far more executive experience, could be the candidate who can unite the conservative “base” with enough fiscally conservative Indies to beat Obama in 2012, without any ambiguity on the health-care issue, which has galvanized the Tea Party.

Run, Rick, Run!

Steve Z on May 25, 2011 at 5:13 PM

You realize Palin will never again be on the bottom of the ticket, right?

sleepy-beans on May 25, 2011 at 5:03 PM

sicoit on May 25, 2011 at 5:10 PM

She would do anything but that. She’s not going to be second banana/scapegoat again, subject to someone else’s campaign. Forget it.

pseudoforce on May 25, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Hmmm. If informed consent adds another piece of paperwork to a potential infanticide, so be it. Women have a legal right to know what exactly it is they are doing. Abortion clinics routinely mislead and outright lie to get the client to say yes.

cynccook on May 25, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Jim-Rose on May 25, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Oh, you’re just NOW worrying about this?

Vyce on May 25, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Steve Z on May 25, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Here I think is the bottom line, without all the usual pandering to precious independents. Perry and Palin seem to be pretty good friends, and she knows she has some pretty strong support among the base. If Palin does run, and Perry decides to get in, AND if the resulting split vote allows Romney to become the eventual winner, Perry’s going to get the blame.

pseudoforce on May 25, 2011 at 5:17 PM

I’d like to see Perry, Palin, and a few others run. The debates alone would be worth it.

jeffn21 on May 25, 2011 at 5:17 PM

The bill’s author, Republican Burt Solomons, said:

It’s the largest anti-Hispanic bill I’ve seen in Texas.

That kind of stuff (Hispanic ethnic supremacy) really ticks me off. And I do mean, ticks me off. ALL of these ethnic and/or racial supremacy movements — insisting race and/or ethnicity or both as some sort of superiority as opposed to laws all abide by, that apply to all equally — really irritates (and concerns me).

Mr. ole’ Martinez Fischer’s remarks are both falsehood and outrageous delusions based upon his OWN racism. Laws of the land apply to everyone and should and should never, NEVER, be tailored to suit Mr. Ethnic Supremacist’s ideas of what and how “Hispanics” or any other race or ethnicity ‘should be’ questioned. They SHOULD BE questioned and held to the same standards as everyone else.

What Mr. Martinez Fischer is saying, there amidst his ridiciulous theatre, is that he doesn’t want “Hispanics” to be questioned as to their legitimacy in the U.S. as to citizenship, immigration. BECAUSE that’d shoot Mr. Martinez Fischer’s dishonest game all to heck should his ethnic supremacy movement ever be confronted.

Our nation HAS TO get this issue confronted and defeated: Hispanics, whatever, no one race or ethnicity or nation of origin gets any preferential treatment as to being able to bypass our laws, including immigration and identity laws. Can’t prove who you are, where you’re from, when you arrived here and how? Face the legal consequences, even IF you’re “Hispanic”.

It’s legislation that has to come to be eventually. Sanctuary city madness has spelled ruin for our nation.

Lourdes on May 25, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Pawlenty’s niche is as the electable “Not Romney” candidate

Umm – no.

Vashta.Nerada on May 25, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Oh, you’re just NOW worrying about this?

Vyce on May 25, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Nope, been worried for months, but only recently voicing it.

Jim-Rose on May 25, 2011 at 5:20 PM

*he knows, not she

pseudoforce on May 25, 2011 at 5:20 PM

cynccook on May 25, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Well, Rick Perry/Paul Ryan ticket would be an ideal, no doubt about it.

Lourdes on May 25, 2011 at 5:23 PM

pseudoforce on May 25, 2011 at 5:14 PM

You “forgot” to add the rest of my post: Even if she is nominated for VP again….the difference is she would not be running with a RINO like McClame.

I don’t see Sarah Palin as being as superficial as you and some make her out to be…..besides, she scares the cr@p outta Odumba$$ and his minions. That makes it all the more worthwhile….RUN RICK RUN!

sicoit on May 25, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Jim-Rose on May 25, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Palin is nearly perfect, but not 100%.
Perry is not perfect, but acceptable.
Pawlenty is far from perfect, but still acceptable.

People like Huntsman, Mike Castle, and other RINOs are total crap and will never be acceptable.

There are varying degrees of acceptability, but also a line of which conservatives will not cross.

Norwegian on May 25, 2011 at 5:28 PM

I agree with this. I didn’t vote for Perry in the Governor’s race here a while back.

I gotta say, I couldn’t disagree with this more. This bill saves lives. It does so while not blowing up abortion clinics. You are correct in your analysis that it adds layers of bureaucracy to a legal procedure, and doesn’t outlaw the procedure, however I am of the opinion that whatever slows the rate of infanticide is a good thing. The abortion industry could do with a little less efficiency.

This is a better example. I had forgotten about this. Terrible legislation.

samuelrylander on May 25, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Just to play the devil’s advocate… Perry has a Republican super majority in the TX legislature, and he just won re-election in a landslide. And Austin has a much better climate than DC. Why would he want to be POTUS?

bitsy on May 25, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Perry opposes the border fence.

Jon0815 on May 25, 2011 at 4:57 PM

There will never be a border fence anyway.

faraway on May 25, 2011 at 5:35 PM

The only problem is the Texas legislature still hasn’t passed a budget, and the session ends this weekend, so that means a special session which would delay his announcement.

KG in Sask on May 25, 2011 at 5:37 PM

I hope he runs!..:)

Dire Straits on May 25, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Wasn’t Perry once part of the Elect Al Gore campaign?

portlandon on May 25, 2011 at 5:42 PM

cynccook on May 25, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Perry/Ryan sounds good, esp. due to the geography of it, but, oh! how I’d adore a Perry/West ticket! I’d just die of sheer happiness if that ever happened, lol!

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on May 25, 2011 at 5:46 PM

JonPrichard on May 25, 2011 at 4:48 PM

This.

44Magnum on May 25, 2011 at 5:48 PM

I’d support that.

Key West Reader on May 25, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Seeing two pics of Perry on HA’s front page is a pretty sight to see today.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on May 25, 2011 at 5:50 PM

There will never be a border fence anyway.

faraway on May 25, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Not on obama’s watch. That’s for sure.

/I hear he’s going to cede Texas to Mexico to prevent a Rick Perry run for POTUS. LOL

Key West Reader on May 25, 2011 at 5:50 PM

I attended a Glenn Beck Stage Show, simulcast live from a theater in Dallas to a bunch of movie theaters all over Texas (probably all over the US, but I don’t remember…I was watching from Austin). Rick Perry was there, sitting next to Marcus Luttrell at the Dallas venue, and they kept showing his reactions to Beck on camera. You’ve never someone look so uncomfortable. This lasted up until the intermission, after which the cameras never panned over him again.

samuelrylander on May 25, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Perry/West

We need a strong Texas Governor and a kick azz foreign policy take no names Veep.

Where does that leave Sarah Palin? In charge of everything else.. abolishing the EPA, DOE and the IRS to start. That’s the first 100 days.

Key West Reader on May 25, 2011 at 5:54 PM